Type keyword(s) to search

The Medal Count: Digging for Gold in Rio

13 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

The U.S. is obviously the favorite for most medals, Gold or otherwise. Will Brazil get the home country bounce? We'll see.

And the U.S. gets the first gold...in shooting. No comments from the peanut gallery.

(laugh). 

I would also argue that China (per usual) could challenge them in medals/golds too. 
Canada's goal is 22 medals, SI has them for 16, and a lot of other reputable places have them around 18-19. which is standard fare for Canada. 

Is Russia totally out of the Games this year?  Because they're usually considered serious medal contenders in summer, even though they're not the powerhouses in Women's Artistic Gymnastics and Diving that they were up until about 20 years ago.

5 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Is Russia totally out of the Games this year?  Because they're usually considered serious medal contenders in summer, even though they're not the powerhouses in Women's Artistic Gymnastics and Diving that they were up until about 20 years ago.

No they are there - but a good chunk of their athletes (including all but 1 athlete for track and field) got eliminated from the competition, because of the whole State-supported doping thing, so that would seriously take a bite out of their medal haul. 

I believe they have 273 competing athletes which considering that they usually have one of the largest  delegations the size is low for them.

I think they are completely banned from track and field.  Gymnasts are all here.  I'm pretty sure at least 75% of their weightlifters were banned.

US first gold in...shooting.  I mean, it writes itself.

Edited by kittykat

I always think 16-18 is the optimal number of medals for a country, which is about one medal per day. Any more than that, and the medals start to feel less significant and more forgettable. Any less than that, and you have too many days where you had no one on the podium.

So having said that, I love that Canada generally aims for 15-20 medals. It keeps every medal special and most events interesting.

• Love 2

So having said that, I love that Canada generally aims for 15-20 medals. It keeps every medal special and most events interesting.

We never win them at a rate of one a day, though. We like to win none in the first week so that everybody gets grumbly about wasted money and then we win a big chunk of them on one day.  I remember being in a MacDonald's (please, don't judge) and a worker came around and gave us a coupon for a free bag of fries. The worker explained that they give out the coupons every time Canada wins a gold. Cool. Five minutes later, she came over and gave us another coupon and we explained we'd already been given one. Nope, Canada had won again. Five minutes later, we got yet another coupon and decided to leave before we got fat. Three gold medals within like 15 minutes. Sometimes we go whole Olympics without winning a single one (we had the distinction of being the only host nation not to win a Gold medal at our own Olympics and we doubled down on it. That's the reason behind "Own the Podium" because they didn't want to three-peat). 

• Love 3

Canada for the most part (even in the winter Olympics) - is a 2nd week medal country. Most of our medals comes in team events, or simply - events in the second week.For me - it's not so much that I want Canada to win 100 medals (we simply don't have the population to do that - if you look at medal wins based on population - we're smack in the middle). China + USA have bigger populations - so they do more AND - they are dominant in sports where you can win multiple medals usually in the big four: Swimming, Athletics Gymnastics and Diving. 

Canada - compared to a lot of countries - doesn't state fund their sports, at all. We don't have strong college programmes (nothing like the NCAA) and Own the Podium is a joke. Yes - the funding finally came through to support "medal threats" and pay for medalists - which is about darn time. But it's so minimal to what they can do and it's still really not enough. (there are a lot of athletes who even benefited from it who things it's a joke) and it's starting to impact the sports we used to have a strong tradition. The fact that Canada split the Mens + Women's 8s, to try to "maximize" the amount of medals (but we're only a medal favourite in 1 of the 4) - where we used to be able to qualify the 8s, the 4s, and 2s in rowing, and send a strong C/K contingent should be a warning shot. You're already starting to see Canada stagnate in a lot of winter events (Short Track + Long Track) as the older guard are retiring and the new guard simply aren't up to snuff. 

Canada used to have a strong swimming tradition (nothing like America), but strong enough. We basically kicked Alex Baumann out, and he went to Australia - renovated their swim programme and is now working with New Zealand. There's a lot of dual American/Canadian swimmers (Franklin comes to mind instantly, but there are a few others) who declare for the US. 

I already touched on our Rowing. Our Canoe/Kayak team is relatively old. it is soo frustrating. and we can do so much better for our athletes.  Sorry - i'll get off my soap box. LOL 

• Love 2
On 8/6/2016 at 3:08 PM, kittykat said:

US first gold in...shooting.  I mean, it writes itself.

I dunno. The cliche is less about Americans being accurate with guns and more about Americans simply shooting everything in sight.

• Love 1

I have to be honest, I kind of love that America is stuck in sixth on the medal tally right now? It's crazy to think that not only are they not running away with the lead as usual, but they're doing so poorly that Hungary is beating them. Honest to God, HUNGARY.

Also, congrats to Vietnam on its first ever gold medal.

25 minutes ago, SnideAsides said:

I have to be honest, I kind of love that America is stuck in sixth on the medal tally right now? It's crazy to think that not only are they not running away with the lead as usual, but they're doing so poorly that Hungary is beating them. Honest to God, HUNGARY.

Don't make too much of that--they were #1 around 12 hours ago.  Its just really how it works out with which events happen on each day. 

And numerically in total the US has as much as anyone (at 8 each, only China has as many in total). It's only because only one of the 8 US medals is gold that the point system puts them below countries that have 2 or 3 golds. The moment the US earns another gold, they likely jump 3 or 4 spots. 2 golds and they go back to #1--and by quite a lot given how many silvers they have so far.

So... not "poorly".  That really doesn't compute with having 8 medals in less than 2 days. Just not gold-heavy.

Edited by Kromm
25 minutes ago, kittykat said:

After tonight's swimming events I think the US medal count is gonna be just fine :-)

In fact, as I predicted before, the fact that they got two more golds not only put them back in first, but by quite a sizable margin.

It was nice that the teenage shooter got the first gold medal for the U.S., because if it had happened any other day NBC would not have found the time to mention it.  What with it not being swimming or gymnastics.

• Love 4

They're not giving flowers this time, but little ornamental gifts -- that turn out, according to the online swimming commentators last night (watching the US relay team experiment with them), to be actual display stands for the medals. (Or maybe that was a joke that I'm not swift enough to get.)

And.... the US is "losing" in the medal count again.

Really it only takes an event or two to change that. China and Australia both got Golds today and so jumped ahead. But the next gold the US gets... it goes BACK to way ahead of them both, because again... they have far more Silvers than anyone else and only one less gold.

8 hours ago, Daisy said:

Today is Tuesday. 
I am pleased to report Canada has won another medal. We're the best third place country in the world, y'all. 

I hear ya, Daisy.  So, so close, so many times, so many events.  It doesn't really bother me though.  I love watching the summer Olympics anyhow and comfort myself that, when the winter Olympics roll around, we will be owning the podium.

• Love 1
Just now, Trey said:

I hear ya, Daisy.  So, so close, so many times, so many events.  It doesn't really bother me though.  I love watching the summer Olympics anyhow and comfort myself that, when the winter Olympics roll around, we will be owning the podium.

@Trey me either. like. I know the score. Canada is (and always has been) a second week country. All these extra medals are great. I had my little soap box moment how we could be better, but i am seeing some of the benefits of 2010 in this programme so by 2020 we should really start seeing more results. This is actually the first time in Summer Olympic history we've won a medal a day (we actually got an extra medal ;) so the day we miss out, we're already covered). 

My friend sent me a meme, There was a picture of a beach and a Canadian saying "YAY WE PARTICIPATED!"  and then there's a mountain with snow, and you just see this person glaring saying "it's the winter Olympics. We are going to dominate." it cracked me up.  

• Love 3

I also look at the medal counts excluding swimming (and will do the same for all of the track and field races when they start).  I find it useful when I want to see which countries win the most medals in a variety of different sports.

• Love 2

You know the hilarious thing is if the EU wasn't such a shambles and their medals all counted together, the US would never have a chance of leading any medal count ever.

1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

We doubled our amount of medals today! A silver and a bronze in the cycling time trial. The Dutch swim team continues to disappoint, only two relay finals so far is just sad for our country.

Is it appropriate to say "Gefeliciteerd!" and "Jammer!" in the same sentence?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

We doubled our amount of medals today! A silver and a bronze in the cycling time trial. The Dutch swim team continues to disappoint, only two relay finals so far is just sad for our country.

On the other hand, you only have to wait about 18 months before you start kicking our butts in speed skating, so it all evens out.  :)

• Love 3

Kyrgyzstan's (Sporcle's favourite country) medal count is up to one. A weightlifter won the country its fourth ever medal yesterday. It was delightful to watch how nervous and excited he was after the event. He didn't know what to do with himself, and I loved how proud he was of his bronze.

On the other hand, every North Korean lifter has been absolutely miserable. One lifter had an almost certain chance to win silver or bronze but the coaches pushed for gold with a horrible all or nothing strategy...and failed. One North Korean did in fact win silver, though. Om Yun-Chol won silver and looked like he was at a funeral during his medal ceremony. He even apologized to his country afterward.

• Love 1

What a great day to be a black woman from Texas named Simone! #doublegold #doubleawesome

Also awesome to see a double gold medal and hear two anthems back to back.

Finally, congrats to Fiji on their first medal of any kind, which was gold. I loved NBC's footage of the celebration back in Fiji.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

Finally, congrats to Fiji on their first medal of any kind, which was gold. I loved NBC's footage of the celebration back in Fiji.

{playing up ignorant American card} I expected them to all be drinking from those square Fiji Water bottles! {/ignorance}

13 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Daisy, I just wanted to let you know that you have me, a red white & blue Yank, rooting for Canada's one a day medal count because of your posts. I was thrilled with the US/Canada tie in swimming since it kept your streak going.

aww thanks @Good Queen Jane, that's so sweet to hear!   :) I can't even tell you how nervous i was by Penny's race, because I was like, is the streak over?. I can breathe easy today because we won our 1 today. :D  

• Love 2

Attention, Attention: 
Canada has won another medal today! and it's Gold! We're almost in the top ten of the medal count (we wanted to be top 12 in the world with 19 medals won). well we have 9, so we need 10 more. This is so great. (this is really historic for Canada, because we never won a medal a day (or 2 in 1 day every 3 days (giggles),) the first 9 medals have been won by women, another first, 5 of the 9 medals have been won in the pool - which is not good for us and we won more golds in Rio than we did in London).

I am so verklempt. We're doing so well. it's just the little things you know. We're never going to be like China, or Japan, or America, but we're holding our own this Olympics. :)

• Love 9

It's only one medal, but it is a significant one :

42 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

USA's Kim Rhode just made history by winning a medal (Bronze - Skeet) for her SIXTH consecutive Olympics!  She's the first female and the first Summer Olympian to do so.

She won gold in the 1996 Atlanta Games in double trap at the age of 17, then followed up with bronze in Sydney, gold in Athens, silver in Beijing, and then gold in London.

Amaaazing.

Talk about longevity, eh!

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

It's only one medal, but it is a significant one :

Talk about longevity, eh!

Ah guns.  They don't care what age you are!

Logically she stops competing when she either gets the shakes, or her vision is degraded.

If you think about it, this does run contrary to most of the rest of the Olympics. Rhode is not only older... she's well... lets be diplomatic but honest.  A body type most people wouldn't attribute normally to Olympic athletes. 

It makes me think more about the objections to Motor sports in the Olympics. Supposedly its because it is then not the body being tested. But how do we react when it's just a small subset of the body (eyesight and arms?) being tested?

Edited by Kromm