Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Girl Meets I Do

So Katy is perfectly happy with her lovely life with Maya and their friends that love them and she didn't know Shawn's middle name until Topanga told her. Why are they getting married? It still sounds like he's doing this way more for Maya and her happiness than whatever he thinks he feels for Katy. Even Shawn's vows were about how Katy related to Maya and how the two of them related to Cory/Topanga!

But one thing they got right about this wedding was Cory's reaction to Shawn getting married. Hee!

Angela seems to have been completely erased from Shawn's history and Cory/Topanga's memories because they haven't seen Shawn happy ever before this and Shawn didn't know what I love you meant until now.

FEENY!! But no Jack, no Eric, no Matthews' at the wedding?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

So Katy is perfectly happy with her lovely life with Maya and their friends that love them and she didn't know Shawn's middle name until Topanga told her. Why are they getting married? It still sounds like he's doing this way more for Maya and her happiness than whatever he thinks he feels for Katy. But one thing they got right about this wedding was Cory's reaction to Shawn getting married. Hee!

Angela seems to have been completely erased from Shawn's history and Cory / Topanga's memories because they haven't seen Shawn happy ever before this and Shawn didn't know what I love you meant until now.

FEENY!! But no Jack, no Eric, no Matthews' at the wedding?

Yea that kind of rewriting was annoying. Didn't like that.

Maybe they could only afford them at the photo shoot? I've noticed that they've been doing very little shooting in a lot of locations these days. Talk about a bare bones budget.

I was expecting there to be some last minute surprise plot twist(i.e. either Shawn saying "I..i cant do this right now.." and suddenly running from the roof,or Angela showing up and saying to Shawn"There's something i need to tell you.."  *cue To Be Continued * )

Of course Ava had to be the one who caught the bouquet lol

I guess theyre saving that  big reunion for a later episode,or the season finale

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, TDT said:

I was expecting there to be some last minute surprise plot twist(i.e. either Shawn saying "I..i cant do this right now.." and suddenly running from the roof,or Angela showing up and saying to Shawn"There's something i need to tell you.."  *cue To Be Continued * )

Of course Ava had to be the one who caught the bouquet lol

I guess theyre saving that  big reunion for a later episode,or the season finale

I was too.

Good point, that might be the case.

Love when Feeny said that he was trying to give her some dignity lmao. Given the situation/plot, that would be an understatement.

Well, I just saw the amazing spoof of TGIF shows shown at the beginning of this week's Mr. Robot and now it's time for me to post on the latest episode of the closest thing to a TGIF show that still exists.

So they only had an hour to put together the wedding - which explains why there were none of the teen boys, no Eric, no Jack etc. but just enough time for Shawn to give Feeny the go-ahead to drive or take the train up from Philly...but doesn't explain where the perfectly-fitting tuxes and bridal dresses came from!

At 89 years old, William Daniels is still great :)

• Love 3

i am so much more invested in Jamie and Cathy from the last five years than I am in Shawn and Katy (anyway i feel as if Shawn were a writer, and not a photographer, those two relationships would be parallel)

There's one bright spot to this ep (aside from Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Heeny) was that there was no mention of Lucas and wow that was refreshing. I mean, I guess it was an enjoyable episode (I'm a sucker for a wedding) but I'm just not invested in Shawn and Katy at all. I hate when shows try to force couples on me like theres been no development it was like "i think you're kinda cute." "me too" "lets get married" "great"

William Daniels can be on my screen any time. He's great. 

And Topanga's reaction to Ava catching the bouquet was spot on. (but I agree with the review. who hated Danielle Fishel to put her in that dress?)

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, bagert said:

Well, I just saw the amazing spoof of TGIF shows shown at the beginning of this week's Mr. Robot and now it's time for me to post on the latest episode of the closest thing to a TGIF show that still exists.

So they only had an hour to put together the wedding - which explains why there were none of the teen boys, no Eric, no Jack etc. but just enough time for Shawn to give Feeny the go-ahead to drive or take the train up from Philly...but doesn't explain where the perfectly-fitting tuxes and bridal dresses came from!

At 89 years old, William Daniels is still great :)

Yep. They came from the magical Disney store! :D

Damn straight ;) :). He's awesome.

40 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

i am so much more invested in Jamie and Cathy from the last five years than I am in Shawn and Katy (anyway i feel as if Shawn were a writer, and not a photographer, those two relationships would be parallel)

There's one bright spot to this ep (aside from Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Heeny) was that there was no mention of Lucas and wow that was refreshing. I mean, I guess it was an enjoyable episode (I'm a sucker for a wedding) but I'm just not invested in Shawn and Katy at all. I hate when shows try to force couples on me like theres been no development it was like "i think you're kinda cute." "me too" "lets get married" "great"

William Daniels can be on my screen any time. He's great. 

And Topanga's reaction to Ava catching the bouquet was spot on. (but I agree with the review. who hated Danielle Fishel to put her in that dress?)

Definitely. There was one teeny one, but not enough of one to eclipse the episode itself. Neither am I. It just felt so shoehorned in some how. I hate that too. Same with any show that decides to go in a different direction without giving any thought in regards to back story. Uh no.

Yep.

Word.

• Love 1

I'm such a sucker for seeing Shawn happy (okay, seeing Shawn, period) that even the superspeed of this romance and the fact that Katy's no more distinctive than the dozen other blondes Shawn dated in high school didn't bother me too much. Feeny is great. Loved "I think he's my grandpa" "No" and the "Just go with it." And while we're at it, I'd love an update on his wife Dean Bolander. Just confirmation that she's alive and they're still the late-in-life fairy tale.

• Love 5

This was sort of nice. Shawn is always a plus and him being happy is awesome and of course FEENY! But damn if I wasn't a little sad that the Matthews weren't part of this episode. They have a very big part in Shawn's life-also HIS BROTHER JACK ISN'T THERE EITHER?- But seriously having Mr and Mrs. Matthews give him away would have made me cry.

Also sorry GMW, you got it wrong. Cory will always be Shawn's number one as will Shawn for Cory. Katy has to learn to be okay with that, Topanga finally did.

• Love 3

What was the purpose of the quicky wedding? To prove to Maya (not the woman he's marrying) that he loves Katy (the woman he's marrying but not the one he is actually doing the quicky wedding for)? UGH!

I did like everything Shawn/Cory and I loved seeing Feeenay! Other than that, this episode was terrible. The wedding was as rushed as the actual courtship that we never, ever saw. Pretending Angela never existed is disrespectful to the character of Shawn as much as Angela and to Boy Meets World. I didn't even like Angela but whatever show, It is possible for Shawn to love Katy without erasing the love he had for Angela.

I used to think the target audience for this show was the pre-teen set, 12-15ish. Now I'm thinking it's more Auggie's peer group of 5-8 year olds. It is so painfully dumbed down.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I did like everything Shawn/Cory and I loved seeing Feeenay! Other than that, this episode was terrible. The wedding was as rushed as the actual courtship that we never, ever saw. Pretending Angela never existed is disrespectful to the character of Shawn as much as Angela and to Boy Meets World. I didn't even like Angela but whatever show, It is possible for Shawn to love Katy without erasing the love he had for Angela.

I used to think the target audience for this show was the pre-teen set, 12-15ish. Now I'm thinking it's more Auggie's peer group of 5-8 year olds. It is so painfully dumbed down.

Totally agree with everything you said. 

Loved seeing Mr, Feeny. Seriously I love him and we're gonna get married oh but I don't even know his middle name.

I see more chemistry between Shaun and Cory, loved every minute of them together. The rest yuck!

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Texasmom1970 said:

I see more chemistry between Shaun and Cory, loved every minute of them together. The rest yuck!

Shory 4Ever!!!!! Truly, I would rather have watched a buddy comedy about those two now that they are grown ups-ish.

The trouble is, I see more chemistry between Shawn and Maya than I do Shawn and Katy. That's the problem. Shawn and Katy were never developed as a couple so that it looks like two strangers getting married which makes me question their motives. Katy sees how much Shawn loves Maya and wants Maya to have a good father so she figures, he's not terrible, I'll marry him. Shawn wants what Cory and Topanga have and if he marries Katy he gets almost exactly that, the wife, whose bffs with his bffs wife and a kid who is bffs with his kids bff. the only thing missing is an Auggie. I just don't see love of each other so much as love of what they get if they marry each other. If this wasn't Disney I'd say it will end up blowing up in their faces within a year or two and we'd be getting an ep called Maya Meets Divorce. (I'd say Girl Meets, but it's pretty obvious the Girl is now Maya not Riley so why beat around a beaten bush?)

• Love 6

Meh.  Now Maya has a functional family and her dream came true.  Now she has zero reason to be the troubled kid. She got her happy ending with a full Mom and Dad.  That was part of the reason the character was on the show, to be Shawn to Cory's Riley.  

There was WAY too little Riley in the episode.  And I'm still going to 'ship Riley with Farkle.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, MostlyC said:

Meh.  Now Maya has a functional family and her dream came true.  Now she has zero reason to be the troubled kid. She got her happy ending with a full Mom and Dad.  That was part of the reason the character was on the show, to be Shawn to Cory's Riley.  

There was WAY too little Riley in the episode.  And I'm still going to 'ship Riley with Farkle.

I agree, I like a show with a well rounded cast. I have said it before in the past the writers seem to focus a lot on Maya considering Riley is supposed to be the main character. Even suggested they should rename the show "Maya Meets World"

22 hours ago, bettername2come said:

And while we're at it, I'd love an update on his wife Dean Bolander. Just confirmation that she's alive and they're still the late-in-life fairy tale.

And of course in real life, William Daniels and Bonnie Bartlett have been married for an astounding 65 years.  Bartlett herself is still occasionally acting at the age of 87 (hint, hint, producers!)

• Love 4

Since we know this is a show aimed at kids, I don't have too much of a problem with the majority of their relationship happening off camera.  A Disney Channel show is never going to heavily focus on the adults' love lives.  So, given that, I like that they addressed the elephant in the room of "are you just doing this to make Maya happy?"  The actors sold me on their emotions in the wedding, so I'm fine with it.  (And I though the wedding was sweet.)  

As for the Angela angle, I'm admittedly someone who was never a big Angela fan, so maybe that impacts my perception, but, having said that, there is a big difference between being "in love" with your high school/college sweetheart and being "in love" as an adult with the person you want to marry.  I don't think it's disrespectful to a teenage romance to, as a 30 something year old say that they've never felt like this about someone, or that they've never been this happy.  Because it's just two entirely different things.  Also, nobody, in their 30's, as they're about to marry someone, is going to qualify their feelings for the person they're about to marry with "well, except for that person I dated in my high school/college.  I really loved them, too, and we were pretty damn happy."  And as the person getting married, if my friends or loved ones had said "we're so happy to see her so happy...well, you know, she was this happy with her ex, too, but..." I would have found that so inappropriate and disrespectful.  Did I love the guy I dated when I was 17-20?  Yes.  Were we happy?  Yes.  But remembrances of that would not have been called for as I was preparing to marry someone else.  And with Shawn, Angela was a long time ago.  Sure, he was happy then, but Cory and Topanga haven't seen him like that for, what, 15+ years?  

Loved Feeny being there.  Loved his "just go with it," and "I'm many things to many people."  "Grandpa!"  "No."  Loved the Cory/Shawn scenes.  That reminded me of Cory and Shawn being so attached at the hip at Cory and Topanga's wedding (I still laugh at "I have to talk to her now").  

When Maya stopped Shawn and Katy as they were headed out for their honeymoon, I honestly feared she was going to ask if they were taking her, too.  I was relieved that wasn't it, and I do appreciate that the show has made some effort in this episode to establish that they're a couple outside of their love for Maya.  They probably should have done that sooner, but at least they addressed it here.  

Count me in as someone who felt it was missing something without Jack, Eric, or Mr. and Mrs. Matthews there for Shawn.  If Feeny could make it in time to perform the ceremony, they (Cory's parents, anyway) had time to get there as well, and I don't buy that they wouldn't be there for him.  

Loved Topanga's reaction to Ava catching the bouquet.  That's two episodes in a row now where Topanga has had those small reaction moments toward the end of the episode that weren't major story points or anything, but just cute/funny character moments.  Danielle Fishel is really good at those little moments, so it's nice to see them writing them in for her.  

• Love 1

I don't buy Alan and Amy not rushing to be there, Shawn is their 5th kid, pretty much. It bothers me a lot more than it should, I know. But I feel like they would have jumped on the first train next to Feeny to get there. 

• Love 10
18 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

The trouble is, I see more chemistry between Shawn and Maya than I do Shawn and Katy. That's the problem.

In an alternate universe Maya would secretly be stalking Shawn.. (and there's a fanfic piece on the net where its implied she might do just that (smh) )

• Love 2

I keep trying to remind myself that this show is targeted at 12 - 15 year olds now so I judge it based on that. But I think this episode was insulting even to them. That romance all happened off screen so we don't care about them getting married. Why make an entire episode about it? Tweens are not stupid, but this episode was written like they are. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

The trouble is, I see more chemistry between Shawn and Maya than I do Shawn and Katy.

And they look creepily close enough in age for it to be believable (not appropriate, but believable). I don't know. I sort of feel like Rider Strong tries to keep some emotional distance in their scenes, but Sabrina Carpenter puts a lot of intensity into their conversations and it just gets a little too intimate.

I have come to like the actress who plays Katy and think they both tried to sell this whirlwind marriage, but I couldn't help but take this as a stab to the heart of BMW fans. I understand it's a different show, but I almost feel as if this gigantic arc that would have been a season-long story on BMW was condensed into one shallow episode that was just so unsatisfying. Everyone wants Shawn happy, but I really want Shawn happy in an hour-long special that involves the whole Matthews family, his OWN BROTHER Jack, and maybe even an appearance or nod to Chet. This was all about Maya and I have to be honest, I don't care. If this is Shawn's wedding episode then I want it to be about the original crew first and foremost. The only thing I really enjoyed were the Cory/Shawn moments which are always spot on. Pillow fight especially. (And Feeney of course but why was he just left deserted on the roof as the ceremony ended?!)

• Love 7

What a bunch of crap! The writers forced this Shawn and Katy romance. He didn't have to marry Katy to be Maya's father figure. We have seen them in like 6 scenes tops together. Why should I care about them getting married?  And if you ask me, Shawn seems more into Maya, than her own mother.

Edited by NickDisnCart
  • Love 7

I can't even force myself to watch this episode.  I don't care about Katy, Maya (who this is really about) or even Angela.  I care about Shawn Patrick Hunter.  His character deserves better than this.  While I am more than aware of the targeted age group, I feel like even Mr. Turner had more developed relationships on BMW.  Feeny's relationship with Dean Bolander was more drawn out than this.  Shawn Hunter is a more important character than both of those men (Sorry, Feeny).  He's not some random guy that Maya's irresponsible mom is marrying.  He's Shawn Hunter.  

I get that tweens won't want to see the entire relationship play out but did we even know that they were officially in a relationship before this?  Even with that aside, this was too forced.  Shawn deserves better.  In my mind he's still wandering around looking for himself.

• Love 8

I think the problem is that in order to show their relationship, time would have had to be dedicated to them, but then is ceases to be a kids/teens show.  This show is about Riley and Maya not the parental generation.  So now that relationship seems out of the blue

• Love 2

Finally got time to watch.  Shawn & Maya looked a bit creepy because they shared more screen time than Shawn & Katy.  

And writers, I could never get behind a marriage where 1 partner DID NOT even KNOW the other's middle name, not when at least 1 partner had children under their care.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DarkRaichu said:

And writers, I could never get behind a marriage where 1 partner DID NOT even KNOW the other's middle name, not when at least 1 partner had children under their care.

I'm one of those supers suspicious types so I'd be getting his name, social and looking up everything I could find on the guy before I let him hang out with my pretty teenage daughter who has major daddy issues. But then, I watch a LOT of Law & Order.

• Love 5

One little moment that brought a BMw moment to me was when Auggie called Feeny Granpa. Anyone remember when Rachel first met Mr. Feeny and Rachel was like, "it's so nice to finally meet Eric's grandpa!" And then Eric was like "I don't know.. Maybe someday" 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I'm one of those supers suspicious types so I'd be getting his name, social and looking up everything I could find on the guy before I let him hang out with my pretty teenage daughter who has major daddy issues. But then, I watch a LOT of Law & Order.

I'm with you, I absolutely would, too.  I have a 13 year old son, and if I was ever single and dating again, I'd make the CIA look like amateurs before a guy was ever even introduced to my son.  I guess, in this case, he came pretty much fully vetted, since Cory and Topanga have known him their whole lives. 

• Love 2

I finally watched this episode and enjoyed it especially the part with Feeny.  I've always liked the idea of Katy and Shawn being together. As always could do without Augie and Ava.

It took awhile to catch up on the episodes because the first ones this season were so bad.