Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Authors

NeonJungle
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, pennben said:

The completionist in me may never get over that Grafton didn’t get to finish her series. I thought her family put it fantastically well, in that they now consider the alphabet to end at “y”.  So sad.  

If she was sick for a couple of years, I bet she has an at least partially completed manuscript somewhere for Z is for Zero.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, GaT said:

If she was sick for a couple of years, I bet she has an at least partially completed manuscript somewhere for Z is for Zero.

Her daughter implies that there is not. Sue would not want a ghost writer to finish. Very sad. I wanted to be Kinsey when I grow up.

• Love 2
On 12/29/2017 at 6:48 PM, GaT said:

That's what I would have said too, that someone must know how she wanted to end the series.  But her husband said she was really struggling with an idea for Z.  It sounds like there was no manuscript even started.  Really sad.  RIP Sue.  I will miss Kinsey.  I can imagine that the last book would have been the hardest to write.  

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Singingflutist said:

I know it's not literature but I am a huge Michael Connelly fan. Alsi really like Linwood Barclay and Harlan Coben.

I really like Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series, but after reading some of his stand alone books, I found them to be basically the same plot & was bored so I stopped reading them. Home was one of my favorite books ever (and strangely, the first in the series I read), & I really hope there will be more.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Singingflutist said:

I know it's not literature but I am a huge Michael Connelly fan. Alsi really like Linwood Barclay and Harlan Coben.

Coben and Barclay are two of my favorite authors.    I prefer Coben's stand alone books, not a big fan of Myron Bolitar.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I have to put in a word for one of my favorites; Oscar Wilde. I love all of his plays, The Picture of Dorian Grey is a masterpiece and his short stories are brilliant.

I went to his grave at Peré Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. Women were going up to his grave, over-coating their lips in the brightest red lipstick, and then planting a big kiss on his grave marker. It was covered in red lip marks. It was actually a weird scene, and I had trouble getting near enough or not worth taking a photo of, because of all the ladies wanting to kiss him. I had no idea he was as popular with women, as he was a known homosexual. 

That aside I also enjoyed his writing. Dorian Grey is haunting. I also liked when the series Penny Dreadful used him as a character. It really brought Wilde’s character to life. 

• Useful 1

We went to Le Pere Le Chaise too! I brought a big bunch of lilys because of Oscar's infatuation with Lily Langtree. There weren't any lipstick marks then. Must be a new thing. Jim Morrison's bust had just been stolen when we were there and they had to keep an armed guard at his gravesite 24/7. There were so many joints on his stone. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

That aside I also enjoyed his writing. Dorian Grey is haunting. I also liked when the series Penny Dreadful used him as a character. It really brought Wilde’s character to life. 

I should make this clear. Dorian Grey was the character, not Wilde. 

Sorry for any confusion. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

So, like in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Something like that. Check out Penny Dreadful. It brings to life many literary characters. Mostly gothic and monsters. Extremely well done. I think it’s available on showtime or amazon. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Something like that. Check out Penny Dreadful. It brings to life many literary characters. Mostly gothic and monsters. Extremely well done. I think it’s available on showtime or amazon. 

Is it still going or did it get cancelled? I don't have any streaming services. I'm a dinosaur.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Is it still going or did it get cancelled? I don't have any streaming services. I'm a dinosaur.

It only lasted 2-3 seasons. You might be able to catch glimpses on YouTube. I also look in thrift stores for used DVDs. They usually only cost $1-2. You’d be amazed at what shows and series that you can find there. You could also google the show for more information. Lol...dinosaur. I have the technological skills of a guppy. If I could I’d send you links. 

Forgot to add: occasionally Showtime and HBO offer free weekends where anyone can watch for free. If I see one of those coming up I’ll be sure to let you know. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added something.
  • Useful 1
12 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

It only lasted 2-3 seasons. You might be able to catch glimpses on YouTube. I also look in thrift stores for used DVDs. They usually only cost $1-2. You’d be amazed at what shows and series that you can find there. You could also google the show for more information. Lol...dinosaur. I have the technological skills of a guppy. If I could I’d send you links. 

Forgot to add: occasionally Showtime and HBO offer free weekends where anyone can watch for free. If I see one of those coming up I’ll be sure to let you know. 

Wow, thanks!

• Love 1

Tip for DVD rental: try your local library. You can check them out like a book and it doesn't cost anything.

Although, I caution about Penny Dreadful. The first two seasons were great. But it got cancelled after the third season and it was rushed and... well, I hated how it ended so much that I was sorry I ever watched the show in the first place.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I am a genre reader so I'l break out my favorites by genre:

Fantasy:

Brandon Sanderson

• Hooks you early
  • Tells a ripping story
  • creates really charismatic main characters
  • world-building and magic systems are superb and logical
  • Recommend: The Way of Kings (the Stormlight Archives series)

Guy Gavriel Kay

• Fully realized alternate histories
  • like Sanderson, creates some of the most charismatic characters on page
  • does a great bromance
  • creates some of the most complex and interesting antagonists
  • beautiful storytelling
  • Recommend: Tigana  and A Song For Arbonne

Sharon Shinn

• Great female characters
  • imaginative fantasy settings and world-building
  • great meld of romance, fantasy and political intrigue
  • Recommend: Troubled Waters (The Elemental Blessings series)

Terry Pratchett

• The wit
  • The wordsmithery
  • Recommend:  Guards! Guards !(City watch series in Discworld)

Science Fiction

Octavia Butler

• Powerful women with powerful minds
  • introduced me to Afro-futurism
  • first time I recognized what world-building really meant
  • Recommend: Dawn (Xenogensis series)

David Weber

• Intro to Military sff
  • intro'd me to 'ooh y'all done fucked with the wrong person' main character
  • writes some of the best battle scenes that aren't just about the battle but about the emotions the characters
  • Recommend: On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, natch!) also Path of The Fury

Lois McMaster Bujold

• Beautiful prose
  • created one of my favorite characters ever in fiction: Miles Vorkosigan
  • Deep and immersive characters
  • fantastic wold-building (I am sensing a theme in my faves!)
  • Recommend: Warrior's Apprentice (Miles Vorkosigan series)
  • Recommend: The Curse of Chalion (Chalion series) she is a double dipper because she also does fantasy

Anne McCaffrey

• Dragons, Yo!
  • No seriously, this woman single-handedly made me want to imprint a dragon
  • Recommend: Dragonflight  (Pern series) and The Rowan (Talents series)

Romance

Ilona Andrews. (Urban Fantasy/romance)

• smart storytelling
  • total bad-ass main characters
  • excellent deployment of humor
  • has an original voice in a fairly saturated market
  • Imaginative world-building
  • Recommend: Kate Daniels series

Nora Roberts/JD Robb

• too many reasons to list
  • recommend:  The Witness  and Naked in Death (J.D. Robb)

Alyssa Cole

• versatile
  • imaginative
  • fantastic heroines
  • Recommend: An Extraordinary Union

Nalini Singh

• Imaginative as hell!
  • her stories are immediately immersive. -- I get a book hangover from her stuff
  • versatile
  • Recommend: Slave to Sensation (Psy/Changeling series)

Mary Balogh

• historical romance version of Nora Roberts -- too many reasons to list!
  • Recommend:  Indiscreet and The Proposal (Survivor's series)

Patricia Briggs (Urban Fantasy/romance)

• Basically a copy/paste of what I wrote about Ilona Andrews above
  • Recommend: Moon Called (Mercy Thompson series)

Shelly Laurenston/G.A Aiken

• The most bent sense of humor
  • over the top characters
  • she creates the best women-sister-friend relationships
  • her heroines are killer
  • All her characters are batshit
  • Recommend:  Pack Challenge (The Magnus Pack series) and The Blacksmith Queen (G.A. Aiken)

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Anne McCaffrey

• Dragons, Yo!
  • No seriously, this woman single-handedly made me want to imprint a dragon
  • Recommend: Dragonflight  (Pern series) and The Rowan (Talents series)

Me, too.  But I'd say don't bother with the books her son co-wrote with her.  The quality declines rapidly.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Me, too.  But I'd say don't bother with the books her son co-wrote with her.  The quality declines rapidly.

And stay far far away from the one her daughter, Gigi, wrote.  The only good thing I have to say about that one is that I borrowed it from the library and didn't pay for it.  It was more horrible than anything Todd did.

• LOL 1

For McCaffery's stuff I liker HER stuff.  So I typically read the DragonRiders trilogy  (DragonFlight, DragonQuest, White Dragon) and then go back and read the prequels: Moreta, Nerilka and Dragonsdawn.   I am not a fan of any of the Harper Hall stuff skews a little to YA for my taste.  I stop after Dragonsdawn. 

I love the Pegasus & Talents series and the Tower and the Hive series.  Her Killashandra Ree series, the Ship Who Sang series,  and her Sassinak series.

She has so much stuff published with no fingerprints of any of her kids I can go back and read and re-read happily.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I am not a fan of any of the Harper Hall stuff skews a little to YA for my taste.  I stop after Dragonsdawn. 

I like the first two books a lot, partly because I read them first and partly because my favorite of all McCaffrey's characters has a bigger role in those two.  But yeah, they are little more YA.

• Love 1

Fantasy:

Brandon Sanderson

Hooks you early

Tells a ripping story

creates really charismatic main characters

world-building and magic systems are superb and logical

Recommend: The Way of Kings (the Stormlight Archives series)

Guy Gavriel Kay

Fully realized alternate histories

like Sanderson, creates some of the most charismatic characters on page

does a great bromance

creates some of the most complex and interesting antagonists

beautiful storytelling

Recommend: Tigana  and A Song For Arbonne

Sharon Shinn

Great female characters

imaginative fantasy settings and world-building

great meld of romance, fantasy and political intrigue

Recommend: Troubled Waters (The Elemental Blessings series)

Terry Pratchett

The wit

The wordsmithery

Recommend:  Guards! Guards !(City watch series in Discworld)

Really? No Tolkien? No Le Guin?

(edited)
On 5/18/2020 at 11:37 PM, DearEvette said:

Nora Roberts/JD Robb

• too many reasons to list
  • recommend:  The Witness  and Naked in Death (J.D. Robb)

Nalini Singh

• Imaginative as hell!
  • her stories are immediately immersive. -- I get a book hangover from her stuff
  • versatile
  • Recommend: Slave to Sensation (Psy/Changeling series)

YES!!! Someone else who loves Nora/JD!!!

Ahem.

I would add Carnal Innocence, Montana Sky, Hidden Riches, Public Secrets, Sacred Sins/Brazen Virtue, ah hell, I have so many favorites, can't list them all. And I'd definitely say the first 10 In Deaths, plus Divided in Death. Why no, I'm not partial to the ones where Roarke lets loose his Irish temper. Now WHY would I enjoy that? Especially in Judgment!

Nalini Rocks! I'm actually currently re-reading her and am up to Heart of Obsidian. Knew Kaleb would get his story the minute he showed up.

I've met both and Nora is gracious as hell, even though she's a very private person, and I met Nalini at Nora's book signing in 2015, and she's also very gracious.

I'm gonna add Anne Stuart to my very short list. She writes both Contemporary and Historical romances, and I'm a fan of both, because she writes unapologetic sonsofbitches heroes who aren't emasculated just because they get their happily ever afters that they didn't think they would ever get. And yes, I'm a sucker for the tortured hero. SUE ME!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Nalini Rocks! I'm actually currently re-reading her and am up to Heart of Obsidian. Knew Kaleb would get his story the minute he showed up.

I've re-read Heart of Obsidian a ton of times.  That one and Caressed by Ice are probably my two favorites in the series.

After Heart of Obsidian came out I went back and did a complete re-read of the series up to that book and I was so impressed with how well (and early) she seeded some of the clues. In one of Kaleb's earliest appearances (2nd or 3rd book), there is mention of him keeping his sleeve pulled down.  Until you get to his book that is a nothing detail that is easily forgotten. 

Also I love how she kept Kaleb  a true anti-hero.  She didn't woobify him to make him palatable.  He has two things he cares about and everything he does is for those two paramount things.  He would (and could) happily sacrifice millions of people if it means he salvages what he considers important. And as a reader I did not find it unreasonable because his motivations make sense.

• Love 2
On 5/26/2020 at 12:58 PM, DearEvette said:

I've re-read Heart of Obsidian a ton of times.  That one and Caressed by Ice are probably my two favorites in the series.

After Heart of Obsidian came out I went back and did a complete re-read of the series up to that book and I was so impressed with how well (and early) she seeded some of the clues. In one of Kaleb's earliest appearances (2nd or 3rd book), there is mention of him keeping his sleeve pulled down.  Until you get to his book that is a nothing detail that is easily forgotten. 

Also I love how she kept Kaleb  a true anti-hero.  She didn't woobify him to make him palatable.  He has two things he cares about and everything he does is for those two paramount things.  He would (and could) happily sacrifice millions of people if it means he salvages what he considers important. And as a reader I did not find it unreasonable because his motivations make sense.

TRUTH!

Judd, Kaleb, and Lucas' stories are my favorites, and the ones I tend to reread the most.

Oooh! Thought of another Nora classic that scared the bejesus outta me and who the ultimate villain was someone who didn't even come across my radar: Divine Evil.

• Love 1
On 4/12/2014 at 5:58 PM, LazyToaster said:

Maeve Binchy (RIP, I loved every single book she wrote)

Anne Tyler (love her quirky characters)

Alexander McCall Smith (most not all of his writing)

Jennifer Weiner (good stuff)

Janet Evanovich (guilty pleasure, listening to her Stephanie Plum series on audiobook)

Graeme C. Simsion (just read his book, The Rosie Project, loved it)

Ha, all I can think of off the top of my head.

I love Maeve Binchy. Oh how I cried when she died. I felt silly for being so upset then thought how much I cried when one my favorite characters died and it felt right.

• Love 3

JeebusFuckingChristonaCracker!

This isn't about authors' antics, and I didn't see one for Entitled Readers Who Think They Have the Right to Tell Authors What to Write Because  Buying and Reading Their Books Gives Them That Right.🤬

It seems every few months, Nora Roberts has to take time away from working (the woman works like a demon and has a very strong work ethic), to again, explain that she's paid her dues, and that her words, her work, her books? Are hers. Fans/readers do not get to tell her that her books or aren't done until the reader says so, and they share...oh for fuck's sake. It was SO FUCKED UP and I am SO PISSED on her behalf and she definitely doesn't need me to defend her. Take a look. I'm tagging @BkWurm1 and @DearEvette because I know you are familiar with her work and enjoy her books.

Fall Into The Story: My Work

• Love 7

I read a lot of biographies and books on history, so many different authors. Some that come to mind are David Halberstam, David McCullough, Robert Caro, Taylor Branch and Doris Kearns Goodwin.

For fiction, I read mysteries - Lisa Scottoline, Peter Robinson, Cynthia Harrod-Eagles, Val McDermid, Michael Connelly, John Sandford, Robert Crais, Laura Lippman, Deborah Crombie, Jane Casey, Lee Child, Louise Penny, Jacqueline Winspear, Kate Atkinson, Kathy Reichs, Tess Gerritsen, Simon Brett, Sharon Bolton, Karin Slaughter, Laurie King, Jonathan Kellerman, Lisa Gardner and many others.  

Plus those longer with us - Ed McBain, Margaret Maron, Sue Grafton, Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels, Reginald Hill, Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, and P.D. James  just to name a few.  

• Love 2

I love Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters!  I love a good gothic or historical fiction (Jane Erye is one of my favorite books), and I felt like she captured that spirit so well.  Her characters were always nicely drawn, and even in the midst of weird "is it supernatural or nah?" stuff, there was always a lightness and levity to the writing.  Even in more modern settings (she was writing some of these in the 70s/80s/90s), you could feel that gothic influence.  Additionally, Amelia Peabody is an excellent series (though, I didn't love the last few books a ton).  I miss her.

Alexander Dumas is a favorite too.  The Count of Monte Cristo opened my eyes to historical writing. It was a sordid tale that felt like a soap opera.  I'm shocked I haven't see more adaptations (or ones that were done super well).   

As a Floridian, I take pride in Zora Neale Hurston.  I grew up and live in Central Florida, so the history of Eatonville is a part of our local history.  Their Eyes Were Watching God carved up my insides in the best possible way. 

Finally, I love LOVE Jane Austen.  I know people are hot and cold about her.  I'm in the "what a brilliant satirical proto-feminist!" camp.  Sense & Sensibility and Persuasion are amazing, as are Pride & Prejudice and Northanger Abbey.  Excellent heroines, interesting male leads, fun commentary on the bucolic life and society. It's so unfortunate that she passed away before she was able to publish more, but I am a grateful Janeite for what we have. 

• Love 8
(edited)
12 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

I love Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters!

One of my all-time faves, tore through the Amelia Peabody's in my thirties and forties, the Jacqueline Kirbys in my fifties and now I'm reading the Vicky Bliss novels in my late fifties.  I have Silhouette in Scarlet on my TBR pile.  I guess I'll read the stand alones after this.

12 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

Finally, I love LOVE Jane Austen. 

Ditto.  I love Austen's sense of humor.  One of my favorite quotes of hers doesn't come from one of her novels, it comes from a letter to her sister Cassandra.  "Pictures of perfection, as you know, make me sick and wicked."

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 3
On 5/27/2021 at 2:45 AM, TrininisaScorp said:

I love Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters!  I love a good gothic or historical fiction (Jane Erye is one of my favorite books), and I felt like she captured that spirit so well.  Her characters were always nicely drawn, and even in the midst of weird "is it supernatural or nah?" stuff, there was always a lightness and levity to the writing.  Even in more modern settings (she was writing some of these in the 70s/80s/90s), you could feel that gothic influence.  Additionally, Amelia Peabody is an excellent series (though, I didn't love the last few books a ton).  I miss her.

I got the chance to meet her at a mystery writers convention back in the '90s. she was so nice to the fans and just as funny IRL as you'd expect her to be from her books!  I really enjoy the series (especially Vicky Bliss) but I think my favourite 'go back and read again and again" titles are some of her standalones "Summer of the Dragon", "The Copenhagen Connection" and "Legend in Green Velvet" topping my list.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I guess I'll read the stand alones after this.

A fun standalone to read if you have enjoyed the Amelia Peabody and the Vicky Bliss series is "The Camelot Caper" where we first meet John Smythe aka John Tregarth who is connected to both.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

A fun standalone to read if you have enjoyed the Amelia Peabody and the Vicky Bliss series is "The Camelot Caper" where we first meet John Smythe aka John Tregarth who is connected to both.

I just wrote down all four titles you mentioned, thanks!

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm watching a webinar with Nalini Singh--we peons can only ask our questions in the Q&A, which I hope they can "find the time" to ask, but good lord, why does every host have to ask "tell us about your writing process." It never fails.

The most interesting thing Nalini has said so far was that she thought this one couple would get together, but it was an utter disaster/fail, and she will take who these two were to the grave!😆

@DearEvette: got any questions?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
17 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm watching a webinar with Nalini Singh--we peons can only ask our questions in the Q&A, which I hope they can "find the time" to ask, but good lord, why does every host have to ask "tell us about your writing process." It never fails.

The most interesting thing Nalini has said so far was that she thought this one couple would get together, but it was an utter disaster/fail, and she will take who these two were to the grave!😆

@DearEvette: got any questions?

Ohh, Sounds so fun.  I do have a question.  Does she plan to rehabilitate Michaela (from her Archangel series) and give her a story?  She is rather unsympathetic but once in awhile we get glimpses of something... there.  Also I headwank her as looking kinda like a slightly sinister Beyonce,  Am I close?

Oh and so funny about the couple she won't talk about.  Now I wonder if it was Mercy and Dorian?

(edited)

I've just got back into reading Mary Stewart.  She's probably best known for her Merlin trilogy but I prefer her other books, probably best decribed as "romantic suspense".  If anyone likes this genre and hasn't come across Mary Stewart before I'd recommend Madam Will You Talk, Airs Above the Ground, The Moonspinners and This Rough Magic as being the best of the best!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Ohh, Sounds so fun.  I do have a question.  Does she plan to rehabilitate Michaela (from her Archangel series) and give her a story?  She is rather unsympathetic but once in awhile we get glimpses of something... there.  Also I headwank her as looking kinda like a slightly sinister Beyonce,  Am I close?

Oh and so funny about the couple she won't talk about.  Now I wonder if it was Mercy and Dorian?

Moderator only picked like 4 questions from 100+ questions! And you were right, she's being coy about Malachi. Would only admit that we will find out what his animal is! That was one of my questions! But she wouldn't say WHEN! She did say that the Guild series isn't ending any time soon, and that it started with Elena/Raphael, and it will end with them.

Boooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to try and email her these questions!

She even gave a Nora shout out!

She said she doesn't picture anyone--actor/model/singer when writing these characters. They are fully formed in her mind.

Who knows? She wouldn't even say who the couple the did end up together in their place was! She be sneaky. But I loved listening to her-I love her Kiwi accent!

• Love 1

I have a friend who has a lot of success in getting her questions answered. And that's because she is careful to ask questions that she knows they can answer. We hear the writing process question chosen constantly because it is a question the author can answer.

The nutshell version of the strategy is: Ask questions that don't involve spoilers or other inside business.

On 5/18/2020 at 11:37 PM, DearEvette said:

Guy Gavriel Kay

• Fully realized alternate histories
  • like Sanderson, creates some of the most charismatic characters on page
  • does a great bromance
  • creates some of the most complex and interesting antagonists
  • beautiful storytelling
  • Recommend: Tigana  and A Song For Arbonn

I loved his alt-Byzantium books and his alt-Moorish Spain one. The latter was really heartrending.

• Love 1
On 7/9/2014 at 10:51 AM, Qoass said:

Agreed on so many of these.  Let me add three more that are automatic "must reads" for me:

2. Rainbow Rowell:  I. am. obsessed.  I insist that you all read all of her books in the order that she published them because each novel concerns a group of characters in the next stage of life from the previous one.  Read them now.  You're welcome.

3.  Bill Bryson:  His A Walk in the Woods is one of my all-time favorites and his travel books crack me up every time.  One Summer and At Home taught me a lot too.

On 9/14/2014 at 12:37 AM, purplemouth said:

Rainbow Rowell is my newest favorite author. I only have Landline left to read and I'm stalling because I don't want to be out of her books!

Rainbow Rowell had a column in the Omaha newspaper before she started getting books published. Her columns were always well-written and interesting.

More recently, I’ve read several Ivan Doig books. Sue Grafton was a favorite, and I’ve enjoyed Diane Mott Davidson, Sue Henry, Martin Edwards, and Sandra Dallas. I’m currently reading Mark Twain’s Roughing It and Mo Rocca’s Mobituaries. CC Tillery and Lisa Wingate are two more I like.

I love Rainbow Rowell. I just finished the 3rd Simon Snow book yesterday. I love those books like other people love Harry Potter. 

Her writing is like how to say in ten words what someone else might say in 100. I like it distilled down like that but with all kinds of meaning packed in. I think she's a very clever writer.