Type keyword(s) to search

The Get Down - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Guess I'm the outlier here; I found Episode 1 absolutely mesmerizing.  As I watched, I kept asking myself, Why do I love this so much? I have absolutely no knowledge of or  interest in hip-hop or disco. And a noisy, crowded club in the midst of a decaying urban center would be my personal hell. But then I remembered that this is a Baz Luhrmann joint.  Eureka! I am Baz Luhrmann's bitch; always have been, always will be.  TGD was a feast for my eyes and ears, and it made me care about the kids' stories and want to know what comes next.  

• Love 5
On 8/22/2016 at 11:23 PM, tennisgurl said:

I really liked this show, even if it has a decent amount of flaws. Ideally, next season will cut down on a few subplots, give the adult characters some more layers, and, most importantly, ditch the flash forwards to the future. Seriously, its like watching a musical Previously TV recap before every episode. And its on Netflix! You have to know people are going to binge this! We dont need the recap! 

It pains me to say this because I love Daveed Diggs, but I completely agree. Those flash forwards are awkward as hell and completely pointless when we're watching the story they're recapping. Plus telling us that Zeke becomes a famous rapper pretty much takes all the suspense out of his plot.

I thought these six episodes were largely a bloated mess with more dead spots than compelling drama, but that battle performance was so dynamic and lively that it mostly made up for it. I'll be coming back to watch the back half and hoping it's more pulled together.

• Love 2
On 8/14/2016 at 10:25 AM, NorthstarATL said:

The closest the show came to touching upon punk/new wave was the daughter of Zeke's new boss, so they know it existed, but I guess it didn't filter into the communities that the show was focused upon.

The daughter is played by Julia Garner, who I remember from The Americans, among other things; seeing as Zeke is going to continue working for that guy for the time being, I took her brief appearance as setting up a bigger look into that music scene in the second half of the season.

Mylene really bugs me. So much so that I sometimes find myself hoping she fails, and I don't like that. She's a bitch to Zeke and bossy and annoying lol.

They use such random stupid sounds sometimes. Like the Kung fu shit can go at anytime.

I like the show but I do feel it could be better.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 1

I'm very interested in seeing how the relationship with the finance committee dude's daughter and Zeke will go. 

I know he's totes in love with her, but Mylene's toying with Zeke's feelings is so damned aggravating.  It would be really good for Zeke to be able to have another girl interested in him, if for no other reason than to make Mylene be a little more appreciative of him. 

It's not disco or hip hop, but every time they have a scene together I think of that  Aaron Neville song:  "Tell it Like it is" where he's singing about not being a toy or a little boy. 

The white girl would probably just be in it for a rebellion, but I feel like she'd at least be upfront about it. 

So, how can one tell if it's the acting or bad writing? I really do not believe in the actress who was cast as Mylene. I just don't think she brings anything to that character. I also feel as if I am being "sold" a bill of goods that she is AMAZING, but she is not. Then, they have to cast side kick girls who won't outshine her (even though it would be interesting if one of them was the true star) and her story/scenes go downhill from there. 

After being consistently team "ugh, Mylene", the feminist part of me started to wonder "Is it really that the actress is not good or is it that I am being presented a crappy, harpy character who is unlikable so, the perception becomes that the actress is terrible?" I really don't know. I just know that Mylene makes my eyes roll, but I'm not sure why.

Anyone have any thoughts?

• Love 3

I think I like Mylene more than you do, but I think its the writing, especially the writing of her and Zeke. I like Mylene with her friends, and when she is being really into her music, but Zeke is the main character, so a lot of her is framed by her relationship with him, and she...does not always come off super well. I wonder if the writers are trying to write her as a "passionate, strong young woman", but she kind of comes off as "girl who cant make up her damn mind about her supposed friend/boyfriend" by accident. It seems like every episode she changes her mind about whether or not she likes Zeke like that, and, while she certainly has the right to change her mind about how she feels, it can come off as her wanting him when she sees that she needs him again, or that she just has him on the back burner, and will come back to him when its convenient for her. 

I would really like to see him in a relationship with another girl (like the punk rock daughter of his boss) to see if Mylene would still have feelings for him.

On 8/22/2016 at 2:29 PM, red12 said:

I think she does want Zeke, but she is afraid she would get derailed by falling in love and end up pregnant, married and pitiful like her mom instead of the star she knows she can be.

I don't hate Mylene. She's being unfair to Zeke, for sure. He doesn't know how to be only friends and she isn't staying away. But I agree she does want to be with him, she's just afraid he'll derail her. And frankly, so far he has given her good reasons to believe that he doesn't have enough drive to make it out. Now that they hooked up we'll see what happens.

Are we supposed to suspect Francisco is Mylene's father? He clearly said niece several times, but it sounds like he had an affair with Mylene's mom. At the very least he's in love with her. The timing he cited -- he's slept alone since 1960 -- should be around when Mylene was conceived. Of course it's also possible that simply marks the time he met her, as his brother's girlfriend. It just felt like there was some revelation hovering over the scene.

The thing that keeps pulling me out of the show is the violence. The fires, the warlords. I assume the depiction is more or less realistic, but it seems like an exaggeration. I guess it's hard to grasp that NY really was as bad as they say. (I live in Oakland, I'm not a stranger to urban blight and crime. But I've never lived anywhere that was literally burning down!)

Edited by snarktini

The lack of comments speaks volumes.

Mylene may be annoying, but Shao is the one working my last nerve. I get he's a DJ, beats are his thing. But there's no reason to dismiss everything else about music. Like, you know, all the lyrics. He shows no curiosity or passion for music, just his one tiny slice. He's so dismissive.

While I really like the character, I wish Zeke didn't usually look slack jawed and about to cry. I'm glad he's at least giving the internship a chance! And that he was smart enough to look up who he'd be working for, and know why this could be a deal with the devil. Great to see him say he wants to be a leader. It's a false choice, the idea he has to be an MC or sell out...he can be more than one thing. And in fact pursuing more than one thing is what will help him achieve greatness at something.

Edited by snarktini
On August 17, 2016 at 2:51 PM, FrumiusManxome said:

Same. I found Mylene interesting at first. And on paper I still do; sweet girl in a bad neighborhood with oppressive parents trying to make it big. But, Mylene's plot really falls flat imo because her voice isn't that strong so I dont necessarily think she should make it big, she lacks a real personality or any endearing quirks, and the way she jerks Zeke around ticks me off. 

I think they're going for a whole It's the 70s no one really cares it's just the times vibe with Dizzee. It'd be more interesting if he was solidly gay, but I think he's just 'trying stuff out'. 

I'm watching the show now and feel the exact same way.  Mylene is an average singer, no more, no less.  And while we know that failing to be a great singer doesn't always preclude a career (no names will be mentioned, but there are major stars who have no real vocal talent), the actress' complete lack of personality, charisma and star power sinks every moment she is on the screen.  Hell, the Mylene character even kills Ezekiel moments and the actor playing him is amazing.  I also agree that she manipulates Zeke and I wonder how much she would "love" him if he was not dancing to the beat of her drum; as her love for him seems to directly correlate with how his musical talent can benefit her.  Were it not for the fact that her character gives us Giancarlo Esposito and Jimmy Smitts, I'd be on the eliminate the Mylene character bandwagon.

Edited by Happytobehere
On August 15, 2016 at 10:38 PM, KaleyFirefly said:

I did notice that anachronism, when she said "on point"! That wasn't an expression back then as far as I recall. Also were they using the song "It Takes Two" to practice the scratching? That didn't come out till 1988.

They weren't using "It Takes Two," that's the Rob Base rap.  They used the song that Rob Base sampled.  All of the rap songs back then contained, some, if not a majority of sampled materials.  That's why so many of the original rappers got sued by the artists they took from.  It was and remains a big deal, look at "Blurred Lines" and "Uptown Funk."

On 9/17/2016 at 11:00 PM, Happytobehere said:

They weren't using "It Takes Two," that's the Rob Base rap.  They used the song that Rob Base sampled.  All of the rap songs back then contained, some, if not a majority of sampled materials.  That's why so many of the original rappers got sued by the artists they took from.  It was and remains a big deal, look at "Blurred Lines" and "Uptown Funk."

Did "Uptown Funk" steal from something? That's disappointing, I like that song.

I loved this series. What a cool, unexpected little nugget. Fell hard for the sweetness and fundamental goodness that was Zeke, the actor did an amazing job. Love the music, love the set design.

I didn't think the adult characters were ALL one-dimensional. I've loved Jimmy Smits since he was Victor SiFuentes and I really appreciated that his 'slum king' trope wasn't typical. Yes, he had his hands in some dirt, but he truly cares for and wants to improve his community, and is willing to play the game to achieve the greater good.

Loved Jackie - what a LOSER, lol. But you could see the glimmer of what he could be/once was underneath the drug-addled sac that he'd become. I also thought he was hilarious and I hope htis is start of a redemptive plot for him. I tend to get behind characters like that, especially when the actor will completely shelve his dignity to show the schlubbiest, grossest, most base part of the character.

I like Mylene's friends more than I like her. But damn, that girl DOES rock some pipes! Her voice is lovely. 

• Love 1

I didn't really understand the cockroach connection. Luhrmann's metaphors can fall flat sometimes. Was it supposed to show that even fancy uptown homes can have roaches too? Did he bring it in with him on his shoe as a metaphor for The Bronx? Was it supposed to represent his friends that he would be squashing to get ahead? It was confusing.

Also I don't like Strauss's husband being a bad guy. He usually plays such a decent soul.

On 9/2/2016 at 11:16 AM, red12 said:

So, how can one tell if it's the acting or bad writing? I really do not believe in the actress who was cast as Mylene. I just don't think she brings anything to that character. I also feel as if I am being "sold" a bill of goods that she is AMAZING, but she is not. Then, they have to cast side kick girls who won't outshine her (even though it would be interesting if one of them was the true star) and her story/scenes go downhill from there. 

After being consistently team "ugh, Mylene", the feminist part of me started to wonder "Is it really that the actress is not good or is it that I am being presented a crappy, harpy character who is unlikable so, the perception becomes that the actress is terrible?" I really don't know. I just know that Mylene makes my eyes roll, but I'm not sure why.

Anyone have any thoughts?

We were presented with a crappy, harpy character who is unlikeable.

I think the key is to look at the character in a vacuum.

As written, Mylene

• disobeys her parents to go to the disco where her friends basically say "you're going to have to sleep with someone to get your tape in front of them."
  • gets upset when she's grounded after sneaking out to said disco on the night there was literally a massacre there
  • wears the most immodest dress ever brought to a church and goes out her way to embarass her dad
  • denies her attraction to our hero Zeke because she doesn't want anyone to hold her back from her dream of being a star
  • feigns gratitude to Zeke for helping her get out of the disco in one piece only in order to ask him for a favor after she rejected him
  • generally does not seem to care about most things Zeke is involved in or wants to do (other than when he is successful or fitting in with her idea of success, like going for the internship), or expresses concern about his feelings, the fact that he helped cover up a murder, that he got the crap kicked out of him for organizing the party at the barber shop
  • keeps their relationship on the down low from her parents and uncle
  • gets into fights with Zeke's best friend for pretty much no reason (the one about "he's going to scratch up the record" was particularly stupid, since, as she's a musician, she should know that a) DJs don't damage the record when scratching and b) who friggin' cares? It's not like she can only make so many records)
  • lies inexplicably to her uncle about what Jackie is up to (instead of being like, "Tio, I haven't been able to get Jackie to answer my calls")

Sure, she has her good qualities, too. She's a decent friend to Regina and Yolanda (although I suspect that she gets more out of their friendship than vice versa, at least as shown. She borrows clothes from both Regina and Yolanda and needs their help to check on Jackie, and Yolanda puts her up for some unspecified amount of time because reasons. Heck, she didn't even suggest that Regina and Yolanda form a group with her.) Her main redeeming qualities seem to be that she's supposed to be a good singer and Zeke loves/likes/wants her. 

But I don't think that the best actress could sell such a character as likeable.

• Love 3

I don't think the dilemma Zeke is in about music or intern is a false one, given what is being asked of him.

The sort of music he aspires to do is anti-establishment rap/hip-hop that speaks out for people of color and gives voice to the frustrations they suffer.

The sort of work he's scheduled to do as part of the internship is to be a living prop for the establishment, a "good" minority who is quiet and does what his bosses want of him.

Its too bad they split the show up into two, because I thought this second half was significantly more compelling then the first. Not that I didn't like the first half, but I think the characters worked better, and we got more into the history of hip-hop angle here. I do hope that, if they do a second season, they get rid of the flash forwards to Zeke as an adult on stage. It just takes me out of the story every time, and adds little except letting us know Zeke becomes successful by rapping endlessly about his life story. I did like ending on Zeke starting his path into professional rap, just by being over hood by a random guy in the studio who liked his sound.

The costumes are so awesome on this show. I would wear any of Maylene's outfits to a costume party any day. Or, maybe in day to day life, if I'm being honest.

Edited by tennisgurl

Awwww, poor Zeke. As soon as I heard Mylene was going to be on tv, I knew she would be asked if she had a boyfriend and she would say no. That's like star in the making cliche 101. I mean, it happens in real life all the time (I remember the drama when people found out James Marsters was married and had a son because he had been told by his PR people to keep it a secret so as not to jeopardize his heart throb status while he was on Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

And OF COURSE Zeke's boss's daughter was into him. I just hope she doesn't tell daddy that Zeke hit on her and jeopardize his internship, meeting the Yale admissions guy, etc.

Part 1 of the series was about everyone scrambling to make it, so I like that Part 2 is showing us what happens after your big break. It's not automatically smooth sailing afterward so what's happening now is realistic - tensions within the Get Down Brothers, Mylene struggling to deal with her fame, etc.

I had to laugh when Mylene's father said he was going to raise her allowance. It seems like the least you can do, you greedy hypocrite! I am fine with child labor laws that prevent kids from blowing all their money before they turn 18, but Mylene is becoming famous and all her dad can do (besides continue to be a religious control freak) is bump her allowance? I know $20 back then wasn't the same as $20 now, but Mylene's $20 allowance is the same amount of money that Zeke got from Little Wolf, and only one of these people has a hit album.

That was a spot on re-creation of Soul Train.

The frequent cuts to Shao dismayed reaction to Zeke geeking out about Mylene appearing on television were hilarious.

Casting Renee-Elise Goldsberry as a singer that Mylene is meant to show up was a bad idea, because Goldsberry is just a better, more magnetic performer than Herizen Guardiola, and that showed (which isn't to say Guardiola is bad by any means, but she's just starting out).

• Love 2

That was my thought as well, Goldsberry is the superior singer, so people's reactions to Mylene did not ring true.

I felt this in the first part of the series and I still fell that Mylene is the weakest link on the show.  She is the worst actor on the show, and having so many of her scenes involve more seasoned actors did her no favors, as it only served to highlight her weaknesses.  Perhaps the show runners thought having seasoned veterans cast along side HG would help prop her up.

• Love 1

I love Nas, but I agree that his intro-raps don't necessarily serve to move the show along.  Anyone watching how the relationships were unfolding could have predicted that Shaolin and Zeke would part ways because of his criminal ties (although I thought it would be because Shao wound up dead or in jail, poor Boo, he is going to be destroyed in prison).  Likewise, we all knew that whether it was her intention or not that Mylene was going to better deal Zeke the first chance she got.

• Love 1

I like Mylene, and think she's a good performer, but I really didn't like her song here very much. Maybe because it felt like any old song you could hear Arianna Grande singing on the radio today. I didn't see it as her Big Moment that would get all these music people freaking out about how awesome she is.

Zeke was doing so well too! Yeah we know he ends up going into music (because we keep cutting to his future concert all the damn time), but at this point, he has a WAY better shot going to college then becoming a rap artist, especially considering rap isn't even a nationally recognized genre at this point like it is now. For all these guys know, doing this is just going to end with Zeke rapping in street corners for a few bucks for the rest of his life.

Those guys at the party were assholes (except for the brunet guy Zeke was hanging with), but so was Shao Lin. He pulled a gun on people! At his friends college event! And then acted like he was doing him some kind of favor for fucking him over! Honestly, I'm never sure how the show wants us to feel about Shao. Sometimes he's a kind of tragic hero whos only a criminal because of circumstances, other times he's a mythical figure of ultimate badass, and then, like here, he's just an asshole dragging him friends down with him while they try to keep out of crime, out of selfishness. I think he's kind of all three (I feel bad for him, but he can be a serious asshole) but I don't knowhow the show feels. I also kind of rolled my eyes at his super pissy reaction to reading that Zeke talked about him being a drug dealer. Like, dude, you totally are a drug dealer, its not a secret. He wasn't even saying things bad about you.

• Love 3

The intro raps are my least favorite thing about the show. The rest of the weird surrealism works for me, but those flashforwards are just boring. I like Nas as well, but he has no real reason to be here.

The second half of this season convinced me that Shao is at least a bit in love with Zeke, even he doesn't fully realize it. His constant bitching with Mylene, his attempts at screwing up all of Zekes attempts to get out of their neighborhood, his super bristling and defensive responses whenever someone calls Zeke his boyfriend, its all there.

I'm glad they brought Jackie back a bit in these last few episodes, because he and Mylene have a super cute relationship. Way cuter than the totally platonic relationship between a middle aged drug addled washed up music producer and a sheltered teenaged ingénue should be. I also left this season feeling bad for Giancarlo Esposito, who is a really great actor who has played some great, complex characters, and he got stuck here playing Mylene's one note asshole religious stereotype dad. He tried to get some depth out of it, but he was basically every hypocritical asshole abusive religious character ever. The only real difference was he was a Puerto Rican from New York instead of a sweaty southern white guy in a revival tent.

Edited by tennisgurl

Baz Luhrman said in an interview that they tried to make Toy Box (written by Sia) sound more period specific (ala Love To Love You Baby) but they couldn't make it work to their satisfaction, so they decided to go with the angle of Toy Box being a 'visionary' song that portends the sound of the future.

7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The second half of this season convinced me that Shao is at least a bit in love with Zeke, even he doesn't fully realize it. His constant bitching with Mylene, his attempts at screwing up all of Zekes attempts to get out of their neighborhood, his super bristling and defensive responses whenever someone calls Zeke his boyfriend, its all there.

The Get Down writers have essentially agreed with your take, stating that Shao does indeed love Ezekiel but is, at least so far, unaware of how deep his feelings truly run. 

The reason why Shao and Mylene have seriously inconsistent relationships with Ezekiel, and are both super jealous of each other, is because Zeke is a crucial primary support system to both of them. They both need him to grow and truly escape their stifling circumstances while selfishly not understanding just how much it tore him apart trying to be everything to everybody. 

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1

I can see that being what he was going for. That sounds very Baz Luhrrman, saying her song was "predicting the future" or something like that. He loves his musical period pieces with modern elements and riffs on modern music. Its not a bad thing, it works sometimes. I get it, and Toy Box isn't a bad song at all, but I guess I didn't come to this show for modern day music. I can get that every day. I wanted to hear more music in the style of the period, maybe updated a bit to be more palatable to a young, modern audience. Or maybe mixing up 70s music with modern elements, like that 20s style Crazy in Love he used in his version of Great Gatsby. So, maybe its just a personal taste thing for me. Its a fine song, but didn't blow me away like a lot of the shows songs have, or it didn't have the mixture of 70s and modern I think they were going for.

• Love 2

I think the show wants viewers to see Shao as all three things (Mythical Figure, Tragic Figure, Serious Asshole).

Finale spoilers:

Spoiler

Shao is a product of his circumstances. As Zeke told him in the finale, he's seriously broken, and the abuse he's suffered has ruined any desire to escape the Bronx. So instead he makes the best of his situation, with the intention of living comfortably instead of happy.

Hence, he doesn't comprehend why his potentially ruining Books Yale interview is problematic because he can use Francisco being screwed as an example of why trusting the system, in any capacity is wrong. It's also why Shao is positively mystified when Books later tells him that despite Books dropping his college plans and the Yale dudes racism, Shao was still wrong. Once Zeke tells him that he's only telling him because they're friends, and that he expects the same out of Shao if he himself messes up, Shao slowly begins to understand the 'proper' way to do things.

As Annie told Shao in the finale, before Books and the Kiplings, he had no connections to make him want to dream bigger. Since he has no support system to teach him the 'right' way to do things, he maintains his newfound family by any means necessary, using his street smarts as his guiding force.

But because Shao lacks proper communication skills, he has no idea how to express himself in anything resembling a healthy manner. So instead, he does what he always does; absorbs the abuse/punishment, lashes out in anger and then runs away.

• Love 2

Oh, I totally agree.

I think instead of using Love To Love You Baby as an blueprint for how Toy Box's sound, which had grown passe even by 1977, the show should've leaned toward I Feel Love, which was truly visionary for the time and more indicative of dance music's evolution. I Feel Love also meshes better with the episodes theme, emotional isolation, than LTLYB.

• Love 1

I really liked this show but I have to say that I thought season two had much better writing. I guess the one thing I didn't like was the "Ramone" at the drag queen party who they made to look kind of dumb, although, punk ends up being the genre to usher disco out the door, so I guess there's some irony there. Also, was the guy in the studio supposed to be Rick Rubin? At any rate, my favorite scenes were where the boys were all getting in trouble and getting lectured by their parents/guardians. It just rung true to life for me...I could totally see my parents doing that!

(edited)

Despite the fact that Baz Luhrmann said just last month that he, Sony, and Netflix were all eager to work on S2, The Get Down has been cancelled

From the Vulture article in April:

V: Let’s talk about the possibility of season two. Did you make the season one finale expecting to get another batch of episodes, or thinking this would be it? And if there is ultimately a season two, how involved will you be?

BL: To be honest, we have already developed the opening of the next season. Sony and Netflix have been very driven about having a second season. There has been no question about that. They really want it. The issue is, and it is a simple truth: I never saw myself as the showrunner. I didn’t even know what that was. We tried to find the appropriate people to [serve as showrunner], guys who do that, and they were great. And they had great credentials. But it just wasn’t moving forward. At some point, Sony asked would I come and get more involved at the center of it. And I did. I just did everything I could to keep it creatively moving forward and keep the standards up.

V: But you don’t want to serve that role in a season two.

BL: I cannot really be at the center of it. At a certain point, you go, you know, I have a family and I can’t be central to it, and I don’t think I should be. Having said that, way back in the very beginning of this, and I won’t say who it was, but there is an African-American director who is absolutely the best of the best for this, and always was. I tried to get him involved and I couldn’t. I don’t want to be tease-y, but we’re all trying to hope to make that work out. That’s what we’re hoping. As Cindy Holland of Netflix said to me, “We are not in the habit of creating awesome characters and then throwing them away.” I thought that was a great quote. She said these characters live, and it’s our responsibility to try and find a way that they live on. That’s what we want to do. Is there formally a second season? No. I know they want it, and we’re trying to find a way that that can happen.

V: So you just need to find the right person to come on as showrunner.

BL: Yeah. We know the person we want it to be. There are others. But that is exactly right. And then I can go back to being what I always was going to be, which was kinda Uncle Baz. I would see cuts, and have a point of view, but be like an executive producer — a guy that was a well-wisher and a supporter and a giver of notes.

Baz Luhrman's Facebook post about the cancellation:

Dear fans of The Get Down,

I wanted to speak to you with an open heart and just acknowledge how humbled and moved that not only I, but all who have given so much to this production, have been by your passion and commitment to see the next chapter of The Get Down go back into production in the immediate future. I want to explain to you why that is unlikely to happen...

When I was asked to come to the center of The Get Down to help realize it, I had to defer a film directing commitment for at least two years. This exclusivity has understandably become a sticking point for Netflix and Sony, who have been tremendous partners and supporters of the show. It kills me that I can’t split myself into two and make myself available to both productions. I feel so deeply connected to all those who I have worked and collaborated with on this remarkable experience.

All sorts of things have been thrown around for the future... even a stage show (can you imagine that? I can, concert version anyone? Next summer? Just saying.) But the simple truth is, I make movies. And the thing with movies is, that when you direct them, there can be nothing else in your life. Since The Get Down stopped, I have actually been spending the last few months preparing my new cinematic work...

The cast of this show is unique and exceptional. Apart from our stellar veteran actors, I can’t tell you how privileged we all felt to have found such young, new talents, many of whom are now starring in motion pictures, creating music, and taking tremendous strides in their careers. Our cast, writers, musical collaborators, choreographers, camera team, directing and post-production teams all felt the profound privilege to have been embraced by the borough of The Bronx and the Hip-Hop community at large. But most especially by the forefathers of Hip-Hop: Grandmaster Flash, Kool Herc, Afrika Bambaataa, Grandmaster Caz, Kurtis Blow, Raheim and all the b-boys, b-girls, graffiti-writers, MC’s and DJ’s that made this story possible. As well as the keepers of the flame and guiding lights, such as Nas. We experienced things together that I will never forget. All of us in The Get Down family have been touched by this precious mission of telling the pre-history of a form of culture that would go on to change not only the city, but the world.

As for the real future of the show, the spirit of The Get Down, and the story it has begun to tell... it has its own life. One that lives on today and will continue to be told somewhere, somehow, because of you, the fans and the supporters.

Humbled and honored, and to quote Mylene’s beautiful ballad, “I’ll see you on the other-side..."

Best,

Baz

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo