Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Kindred Spirits

While Cam is in rehab, Jack is lured into a dangerous adventure by a new friend, Sadie. Also, Garrett and Alison work to silence a local reporter who is harassing the Hawthornes, and Brady makes a bizarre breakthrough in the Silver Bells Killer case.

"Kindred Spirits (1849) is a painting by Asher Brown Durand, a member of the Hudson River School of painters. It depicts the painter Thomas Cole, who had died in 1848, and his friend, the poet William Cullen Bryant, in the Catskill Mountains."

N0ClRUe.jpg?1

• Love 1

No kidding.  Jack or Maddie, especially.  

One of the men depicted in this painting is the painter of next week's episode title painting.  Actually, this isn't the first painting of a painter.  The Chess Players depicted a painter.  The Gross Clinic included a self-portrait of its own painter.  The Artist in his Museum was a self-portrait.  That seems to be where the pattern ends.  Four paintings of painters in a row, though.  But it'll end after four because the next one is purely a landscape.  

"You're being harassed by a woman in a turtle neck."  Best line ever.  The absolute scorn in VM's voice sold that line to perfection.

Great.  Jack has found his female psycho counterpart.  The camp was surprised Jack had a knife?  Seriously?

Uh, Alison and Tom you don't have much of a marriage to save.  Also, if you are going to be in politics and the spotlight that comes with it, while having an open marriage/cheating, you might want to realize that both of you suck at keeping it hidden.

• Love 9
On 8/5/2016 at 6:27 PM, Cardie said:

I wouldn't want to be standing at the edge of a cliff with any of the Hawthornes!

Same here, especially with the little psycho.

• Love 1

Totally mystified by the business about how a picture identifies the knife. But the turtleneck was too delightful for me to care. It's a shame the blind (?) woman was killed. She was pleasantly droll.

• Love 3

It's gotten to the point where I will be disappointed if the killer is not Tessa.  All the "you are a good person.  You are the good one" stuff makes me believe or more to the point want her to be the twisted one.  Plus if the killer is Garret that would be waaaaaaaay to obvious and not in a good way.

Jack found a friend creepier then him. Isn't that sweet.  Would a camp for "troubled kids" be that quick to kick a kid out?  Yes, knife.  But wouldn't that be a teaching moment or something like that?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, sjohnson said:

Totally mystified by the business about how a picture identifies the knife

The only fragment of evidence that SBK ever left behind was a chip of ivory. Brady sees that a chip is missing from the ivory handle of the knife Jack found at the cabin. He compares the knife handle to the picture of the chip collected at an SBK crime scene and voila, it matches.

I have worn turtlenecks for decades. They are flattering to my neckline. I am mortified to discover that they suddenly mark one as a total fashion disaster.

• Love 5

I've lived in and around Boston for the better part of 40 years and I can tell you that no one in the entire Commonwealth has an accent like the female police officer's.  And curiously, she's the only one in the entire show who has an accent.  Go figure.  Maybe it's supposed to show her inner city roots? Oh well, I loved her in The Wire, so maybe she figured that since the writing and the plot kinda sucks, she'd do something outlandish just to keep it amusing for her own sanity.

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Jack found a friend creepier then him. Isn't that sweet.  Would a camp for "troubled kids" be that quick to kick a kid out?  Yes, knife.  But wouldn't that be a teaching moment or something like that?

Especially since you'd expect them to be watching out for straying troubled kids because they are, you know, troubled.  Did Tessa fail to tell them that his special talent is scary life or death experiments on living beings the minute you turn your back on him?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Would a camp for "troubled kids" be that quick to kick a kid out?  

Tessa said the camp had a zero tolerance policy for weapons.  A knife is a weapon.  So, yes, the camp would have to follow policy and kick the kid out.  It would be like a patient having drugs at a rehab clinic.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Lostinthehouse said:

Tessa said the camp had a zero tolerance policy for weapons.  A knife is a weapon.  So, yes, the camp would have to follow policy and kick the kid out.  It would be like a patient having drugs at a rehab clinic.

I understand that.  But would a camp for troubled kids have that tight if a policy?  It sounds kind of counter productive to me.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

If the campaign for mayor fails, Alison can always fall back on a job as a seamstress.  One snip with scissors made a perfect neckline out of a turtleneck.

I guess Jack's not a complete lost cause since he wouldn't shoot the cup off the girl's head.

Clearly Garrett was holding the knife to protect the real accomplice.  

Jack was too torn between taking the shot at the cup or shooting at the girl's head instead. Sadie's remark about being disappointed was worthy of Chas Addams I thought. (Is Sadie spelled with silent letters, as "Sadist?")

8 hours ago, Cardie said:

The only fragment of evidence that SBK ever left behind was a chip of ivory. Brady sees that a chip is missing from the ivory handle of the knife Jack found at the cabin. He compares the knife handle to the picture of the chip collected at an SBK crime scene and voila, it matches.

I have worn turtlenecks for decades. They are flattering to my neckline. I am mortified to discover that they suddenly mark one as a total fashion disaster.

Thanks, I didn't see the chip in the handle, so it all seemed to be about the length. 

But my best guess is you shouldn't be mortified by Morticia's fashion opinions.

I understand that.  But would a camp for troubled kids have that tight if a policy?  It sounds kind of counter productive to me.

It is, as is such minimal supervision. But the show apparently believe MAO-A is really a thing, instead of a vanishing statistical artifact surreptitiously redefined to fit another set of data. I guess since they're genetic determinists, they don't see that much point in bothering to watch and interact and so on. 

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 1

I think this might be my favorite episode yet - simply because of the consternation over the turtleneck. I HATE turtlenecks! 

I will say, Alison looked particularly sadistic when she was cutting it off....hmmmm...

Haley James Scott is Cam's nurse!!! And she's convinced him to finally break it off with Sophie.  Everything is going to be just fine now. 

Well, except for his son. "We'll settle the Jack thing when I get out." The Jack THING? No wonder that kid has gotten into so much trouble. What kind of camp has a zero tolerance policy on knives, but allows budding psychopaths to wander the grounds unsupervised and develop friendships with other budding psychopaths???

So the ivory came from Garrett's knife. I still say if he IS involved, it wasn't for malicious reasons. There will be more to it than him just being a sadistic killer. 

Also, something is still up with that old widow. Why lie about knowing who the Hawthornes are? 

• Love 3

It will be lame if it is Garrett.  Unfortunately, I've seen several good mystery SLs ruined by:

1.  The writers never really had a plan, and that eventually becomes obvious.

2.  They had a great twist on who the killer was, thought to many people had figured it out, decided to change directions, and ended up with plot holes all over the place.

3.  They drag the reveal out to long, and the viewers lose interest.

I like BJL, but if Cam gets his addiction under control because he dumps the bad girl to be with the good girl that will be so pathetic, and yet another SL where the responsibility for what a guy does is blamed on the women.  {face palm and eye roll}

• Love 5

Why is it that on this show a possible serial killer, and his actual killer of a mother are the only truly likable characters. Speaking of Garrett, can he please comb his damn hair.  

So the real killer took out the old lady right?  

Brady gets on my last nerve.  I can't tell if it is poor acting, poor writing, or a combination of both.

if this show was smart and well written, Mitchell would have lived until at least episode five and the killings would have restarted shortly after Garrett's return. This would have generated interest and a true sense of whodunit. If Garrett turns out to be the killer, thus show would have been a complete waste of time.

• Love 2

Why were Jack and psycho friend wearing everyday clothes when they were at the cabin but when they were at camp they were wearing camp clothes like everyone else (red short sleeve shirt over dark long sleeve shirt)? What kind of security does that camp have?

• Love 1

I will also be disappointed if Garrett is the killer. It would be a bad nontwist.

The quirkiness (or crappiness--depends on perspective) works for me only because I feel as if the killer/accomplice has not been revealed (even in heavy-handed suggestion) to us yet. Yes, we know it is one of our show suspects but for it to be Garrett will not be a shocker, since they have been pushing it to seem as if it was Garrett for most of the show.

• Love 1

There are 5 episodes left so I feel like the focus is going to go back off Garrett again.  He's been Suspect #1 practically from the start.  Making him the baddie would be pretty anticlimactic.  My money's still on Tessa.  

That reporter didn't have an obsession with turtlenecks in prior episodes, did she?  I was so confused by that.  I thought she was going to be hiding ligature marks or something.  I half-watched this ep through sleepy eyes, though.  I'll rewatch later.  I didn't even catch the painting scene.  Though I'm sure it was at Future Killer Camp.  

1 hour ago, tricknasty said:

Why were Jack and psycho friend wearing everyday clothes when they were at the cabin but when they were at camp they were wearing camp clothes like everyone else (red short sleeve shirt over dark long sleeve shirt)? What kind of security does that camp have?

Yep, I was in a clinic with bulimia, we were monitored every minute of the day and we weren't even trying to kill anybody!

• Love 1

Eh, not the best episode. I was a little disappointed when the reporter rolled so easily. I would have at least thought she'd try to deny it, or coolly tell Alison she couldn't prove who planted the bug. That said, I did enjoy that scene. Tessa should forget about the possible violence gene and be more concerned about the Ice Cold Bitch gene that Alison clearly inherited from Mommy Dearest (and Grandma Dearest?).

They didn't totally connect the dots between the dead blind woman and the Hawthornes, right? I mean, the car belonged to her dead husband and they eventually figured out she knew the Hawthornes despite her claims otherwise, but was there more to it I'm not remembering?

I understand using MAO-A in serial killer/police/mystery tv shows because it is easy to define in tv language.  Just calling it "The warrior gene" is very evocative.   The best part is it's not wrong just incredibly simplistic. 

I actually liked that part of the episode.  Tessa wondering if she was passing something down to her child.  What I found frustrating was the entire Brody/Tessa relationship. Brody turning everything back on her and getting mad that she didn't tell him she was pregnant while he was spending the entire episode....hell series trying to put her family members in prison.  Why are they still married?  I'd have divorced his ass a long time ago regardless of my family's guilt.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

It's unrealistic but serves the story, exactly like how a therapist for troubled teens also tossed Jack back to the Hawthornes.  Jack can't actually get help with half the show remaining.  He's the only scary part.  

Though I was happy for those of you missing murder because we did finally get some deaths this episode.  

Good Lord, are there actually five more episodes of this show? How many more times are we going to be subjected to "Oh noes! Garrett is the killer!!!" Only to return the following week to find out "Oh, uh, I guess not, probably." This is a very strange show - the cast is rather compelling but the story ranges from implausible to absurd. Brady still investigating the very family he's married to . . . Alison still running for mayor even after it's publicly announced her father was a notorious serial killer . . .

. . . and this nonsense with Jack - why isn't he in a padded cell by now? I see everyone else was as gobsmacked as I was that this "camp for troubled youths" would be so lax in supervision that two kids could simply wander away, and then one of them gets kicked out for procuring a knife during his little jaunt. WTF? Isn't this what they're in there for? What's next? They send him to juvie hall, but he gets expelled for getting in fights? They put him into a mental hospital but they release him because he's too crazy? They put him in jail but they let him out because he commits a crime?

There's a reason shows like this air in the summer instead of during the regular fall schedule: they stink.

• Love 8

The Hawthornes definitely bring the crazy.

I'm still leaning toward there is no serial killer.  The murders were either committed because these people knew something that could hurt the Hawthornes, and the murders were staged to look like a serial killer did it, or Tessa killed someone, doesn't remember it, and the other people were killed to cover up what Tessa did.

• Love 2

I actually liked that part of the episode.  Tessa wondering if she was passing something down to her child.

Yes, finally, finally, someone is taking this serial killer in the family stuff seriously.   Most of the family is "la-la-la, I can't hear you!" about Jack's budding psycho killing, are relieved that dad is the serial killer because he's dead, and it doesn't seem to mean anything to them so let's just keep campaigning for mayor.  WTF?

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

Rewatch notes:

* Why did the writers have Garrett mess with cash for a $200k donation?  Was it supposed to be scary?  Same for the 'pans on ropes' alarm system at Mrs. Canby's?  

* The Cadillac dent was on the left rear panel, the police report noted it as the left, the closed captioning said left, and both detectives called it the right.  Just a script error, I guess, but kind of funny.  

* "Don't be concerned but I can't find a heartbeat.  Relax and come back in two days!  And bring your hubs next time."  

* That was so handy that Garrett's cabin was practically on the grounds of Killer Camp.  He was supposed to be living off squirrels for 14 years?  He could probably smell the s'mores.  

I'm guessing after the police left, Mrs. Canby called Maddie, who came over and shot or stabbed her.  She's the only one we know is willing to kill to keep this thing quiet.  Maybe Mrs. Canby was the mother of Caleb.

I do like all the crazy camera shots.  There is one of Brady where the camera is aiming down through the bulbs in the kitchen ceiling light.  Ha.  

But isn't it just as likely that Jack is messed up because both his parents are junkies? His mother was probably doing drugs while she was pregnant with him. 

That said, while he and his little girlfriend were wandering towards the cabin I was hoping they'd both get struck by lightning like Rhonda Penmark in The Bad Seed. 

The difference is that Rhoda (and other sociopathic killers) are smart enough to hide what they're doing and present a public image of themselves that belies their true character. Jack natters on endlessly to anyone who will listen about cutting up animals, dismembering bowels, poisoning, you name it. He doesn't seem to realize there's anything wrong with him. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

At this point I'm wondering if there was a game Mom and Dad played with their kids, a sort of gang initiation to be a true Hawthornes. The parents each killed someone the way a mother cat teaches her young to hunt by bringing them live birds. Then they helped each of the four kids perform a killing, always staging the scene afterwards to look like a serial killer is on the loose. When everyone had a kill, it stopped. Tessa and Cam were traumatized and don't remember. The others just keep smiling crazily and playing the game.

I do wish we'd see the police looking into who the victims were and any connections they might have to the Hawthornes.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, augmentedfourth said:

They didn't totally connect the dots between the dead blind woman and the Hawthornes, right? I mean, the car belonged to her dead husband and they eventually figured out she knew the Hawthornes despite her claims otherwise, but was there more to it I'm not remembering?

She said that car was stolen about 20 years ago, so I'm assuming they think one of the two SBK killers took it. However, she had the funeral program yet denied knowing who Hawthorne was. There's got to be more to it, but they haven't revealed what. 

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I see everyone else was as gobsmacked as I was that this "camp for troubled youths" would be so lax in supervision that two kids could simply wander away, and then one of them gets kicked out for procuring a knife during his little jaunt. WTF? Isn't this what they're in there for? What's next? They send him to juvie hall, but he gets expelled for getting in fights? They put him into a mental hospital but they release him because he's too crazy? They put him in jail but they let him out because he commits a crime?

Thank you! Perfect analogies. And yea, his therapist did already dump him for being too disturbed. I'm just wondering what world we're living in where this camp for future serial killers can't be bothered to watch the kids but then freaks out over a little army knife. How about putting him under 24-7 supervision and trying to actually HELP him? You know, what he's there for? (But I agree with the poster who said that wouldn't serve the plot. Cam can get well, but not Jack.)

2 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

I'm still leaning toward there is no serial killer.  The murders were either committed because these people knew something that could hurt the Hawthornes, and the murders were staged to look like a serial killer did it, or Tessa killed someone, doesn't remember it, and the other people were killed to cover up what Tessa did.

I'm on track with you. I've been talking about Tessa killing in a fuge state for weeks now. I also think it's likely the killings were revenge of some sort, or yes - maybe a cover up. I don't think it will be a legit serial. 

41 minutes ago, Cardie said:

At this point I'm wondering if there was a game Mom and Dad played with their kids, a sort of gang initiation to be a true Hawthornes. The parents each killed someone the way a mother cat teaches her young to hunt by bringing them live birds. Then they helped each of the four kids perform a killing, always staging the scene afterwards to look like a serial killer is on the loose. When everyone had a kill, it stopped. Tessa and Cam were traumatized and don't remember. The others just keep smiling crazily and playing the game.

Hmmm, I actually kind of like that. 

I can't believe that they would let Cam's ex Sophie visit him at rehab 3 days after he goes in.  That didn't sound very smart to me.

Jack and his new friend looked like the start of Bonnie & Clyde. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

But isn't it just as likely that Jack is messed up because both his parents are junkies? His mother was probably doing drugs while she was pregnant with him. 

That said, while he and his little girlfriend were wandering towards the cabin I was hoping they'd both get struck by lightning like Rhonda Penmark in The Bad Seed. 

The difference is that Rhoda (and other sociopathic killers) are smart enough to hide what they're doing and present a public image of themselves that belies their true character. Jack natters on endlessly to anyone who will listen about cutting up animals, dismembering bowels, poisoning, you name it. He doesn't seem to realize there's anything wrong with him. 

In Jack's defense, mom and dad are screwed up, mom keeps telling Jack there is nothing wrong with him, grandmother and the aunts and uncles all have issues, and up until Tessa said, "What is wrong with you?"  No one else seemed to think Jack was all that bad.  They were acting like he was a little high spirited or difficult to handle as opposed to psycho.  Jack fits right in with the rest of the Hawthorne's.

1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

I'm on track with you. I've been talking about Tessa killing in a fuge state for weeks now. I also think it's likely the killings were revenge of some sort, or yes - maybe a cover up. I don't think it will be a legit serial. 

I agree.  Revenge, a cover up, something like that.  Also, the fact that Tessa's husband is handling the investigation (don't get me started on the idiocy of that), leads me to believe when he finally figures out the truth, it's going to have something to do with Tessa.  Not just her family, but Tessa herself involved in a big way.

I like the actor playing Garrett.  Garrett seems smart and capable, but at the oddest times, he seems kind of not quite sinister, but I can't really articulate what it is.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Cardie said:

You know...I kind of dig this. Its really messed up, but I like it. It would be more interesting than just saying it was Mommy Dearest, which seems like the most obvious solution. 

I actually did like this episode, goofs and all. I liked the idea of Jack going off to a camp for messed up kids, and I really enjoyed the idea of Jack finding a new crush who even manages to creep him out. Its too bad it was all abandoned instantly. Jack, for all his future serial killer tendencies, does not seem to be malicious at all, he just does not get that the things he does and says are wrong. He REALLY needs help, hopefully from a place that does not let troubled kids, including ones who kill animals and have tried to kill people, to wander off into the forest. I think, if he finally found a competent adult, he could turn out ok. Probably rather odd, but harmless. Maybe one of those quirky TV coroners that overshare about dead bodies and eat while dissecting corpses. Weird, but not murderous. But he is part of this wacked out family, so who knows. 

I loved the whole take down of the reporter. Damn, Alison is one scary lady. She really takes after Mom. Also, you know someone, somewhere, is already writing some super kinky fanfic about that. I hated wearing turtlenecks (they look good on plenty of me, but not me), so Alison's hatred of them tickled me.  

So Cam has officially dumped his wife/ex/partner in crime? Good. I mean, the whole family is nuts, but at least they arent nurturing drug abuse and kid sociopaths. Unless the above theory turns out to be true...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2

I too was wondering if there'd be some ludicrous "they all did it" explanation, with each family member covering up a crime of one of the other's, or something.

I'm also wondering if in pairing with the theme of "paintings of painters" we have a "killer of killers" story.  Mitch was a true crime buff.  Maybe he discovered killers in his own community and meted out a little vigilante justice.  Or Tessa did, having seen his shit list, and Mitch covered it up with Garrett's and Maddie's help.  Maybe Allison's, too, though she's not sharing the knowing looks the other two do.  

I love a good fitted turtleneck! I like lots of '60s and '70s vintage, and they are the best with ridiculously short skirts.

Also, did the reporter just assume that any and all juicy topics at the Hawthornes' house were discussed around the kitchen table? Are there more bugs?

• Love 1

In Jack's defense, mom and dad are screwed up, mom keeps telling Jack there is nothing wrong with him, grandmother and the aunts and uncles all have issues, and up until Tessa said, "What is wrong with you?"  No one else seemed to think Jack was all that bad.  They were acting like he was a little high spirited or difficult to handle as opposed to psycho.  Jack fits right in with the rest of the Hawthorne's.

My point is that a true sociopath knows enough to hide their crimes and act "normal." Jack actually seems to brag to anyone who will listen about his little "experiments." That's not "future serial killer" behavior. It's just . . . weird. Yet Tessa is worried she'll pass along the "bad seed" she's inherited. Jack is no "Bad Seed," he's just odd.

57 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I love a good fitted turtleneck! I like lots of '60s and '70s vintage, and they are the best with ridiculously short skirts.

Also, did the reporter just assume that any and all juicy topics at the Hawthornes' house were discussed around the kitchen table? Are there more bugs?

This was my question when the bug was discovered.  Did the Hawthornes check for more bugs, or simply assumed the one recovered was the only device.  When the camera went up through the lamp after pulling away from Garrett when he was with his mother and Allison made me wonder if they were trying to indicate there was another listening device.

21 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

By coincidence, the other day I watched the episode of 'Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23' where Chloe meets up with her friend from the 'psychopath camp' she was sent to as a kid, so I could only think of that.

Their camp song: "We are normal children/ We don’t torture animals/ Respect your therapist/ Take your meds/ Our pain is hopefully finite.”

• Love 4

Ha, so there was a reason to have the reporter suddenly fall near the table last week!  Totally figured she was bugging the place.  But I really can't believe she overplayed her hand that badly.  Didn't Tessa even tell Garrett that he was the only one she told about the pregnancy?  The reporter should have figured that opening that can of worms could easily be traced back to her.  Granted, unless their was camera in the house, she could have always denied it, unless she left her fingerprints over it (which is likely) and left an easy money trail to follow.  So, she really was so out of her league on this, that it was hilarious.  Sorry, Sarah Power, but Dr. Pawter would have handled this much better!

Allison forcing her to take off her top and cut-off the turtleneck was hilarious.  Allison was getting into creepy, "Hey, maybe she's the killer!" territory.  Juliet Rylance was having fun in that moment.

Cam's rehab is going well enough, and he even seems to have gotten the attention of a hot nurse (of course!), played by Bethany Joy Lenz.  Which means Sophie is so going to try something and it will probably end badly.

Jack's stint in camp goes about as badly as expected.  The girl somehow was even more of a creep.  Probably because Jack really doesn't seem to understand that what he does is wrong, while she does, but just seems to love it.  But this family really needs to wake up and get him legit help. Find a therapist that doesn't just quit after one creepy doll.

Brady and other detective now figure out that Marshall was connected to some kind of couple, but the husband is already dead and the wife is now dead, due to mysterious circumstances.  I wonder if Brady's theory that someone in the force is on this will come into play.

And now thanks to the knife, Garrett is back to being a suspect.  And I continue to believe this means he won't be it.  He knows something, but I truly don't think he is the killer.

• Love 1

I'm putting my money on Mitchell and Maddie being partners in the serial killings; maybe it was their psychotic form of foreplay.

Doesnt matter to me what Jack's motivations are or whether he knows what he is doing is wrong, I'd still never trust him around my own kid, or myself for that matter. 

• Love 1

Well, I hope I don't run into Sadie in a dark alley. I laughed at the fact that Garret's cabin was 10 feet away from Jack was staying. The cabin itself was so barren and empty. Did he really live there for 14 years? I would go stir crazy.

Random observation: I really like the live, laugh, love wooden board things with the arrow through them in Tessa and Brady's house. I've noticed them in the last few episodes. They are right above their doorway.

• Love 1

I'm confused about Garrett's cabin.  He said he lived in the woods for 14 years.  For some reason I had assumed that he was living outdoors in a tent, and he would deal with the cold winters and snow somehow.  It never occurred to me he had an actual cabin.  Did he build this cabin?  Did somebody else build it and he just took it over?  It wasn't locked at all.  Garrett's been back for about a month or so, and nobody else entered the cabin and disturbed anything?

Surely the knife is yet another red herring.   Why does Brady automatically assume it was Garrett's?  If someone can steal Canby's Cadillac, why couldn't Garrett have found the knife somewhere?  Why couldn't the knife have been Mitchell's?  Or Madeline's?  It had a white ivory casing, the kind of extraneous luxury that a simple man like Garrett wouldn't have wanted.  

So Dylan Bruce was responsible for the leak, albeit unknowingly.  Glad to see that he is getting more involvement in the story.  Unclear as to where things are going.

On 8/10/2016 at 11:52 PM, Auntie Anxiety said:

I've lived in and around Boston for the better part of 40 years and I can tell you that no one in the entire Commonwealth has an accent like the female police officer's.  And curiously, she's the only one in the entire show who has an accent.  Go figure.  Maybe it's supposed to show her inner city roots? Oh well, I loved her in The Wire, so maybe she figured that since the writing and the plot kinda sucks, she'd do something outlandish just to keep it amusing for her own sanity.

I can't stand that lady's accent, it drives me crazy.  I hated that she was featured so prominently in this episode.

41 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

When Jack opened the drawer in the cabinet in Garrett's cabin, wasn't there other serial killer tools in there, like duct tape?  It seems SBK2 is trying to frame Garrett.

Yes, I particularly noticed the heavy duty rubber gloves.  This cabin was unlocked.  Anybody could have gone in there and put the items in that drawer.  I guess the only issue would be, who knew that Garrett was living there?  None of the family had seen him in years.  They didn't even know he was there.

I'm sticking with my Dylan Bruce theory.  Nothing makes sense on this show, and it wouldn't surprise me if Dylan Bruce and Garrett are secret lovers.  This show doesn't have any gay male characters, and it seems de rigeur these days to have at least one.

I'm confused about Garrett's cabin.  He said he lived in the woods for 14 years.  For some reason I had assumed that he was living outdoors in a tent, and he would deal with the cold winters and snow somehow.  It never occurred to me he had an actual cabin.  Did he build this cabin?  Did somebody else build it and he just took it over?  It wasn't locked at all.  Garrett's been back for about a month or so, and nobody else entered the cabin and disturbed anything?

Not only that, but how the heck did Jack and psycho girl find it? All Garrett told him over the phone was that it "wasn't far" from where his camp was. And that there was a green tarp on the roof. How did he even know which direction to walk in? How long did it take them to get there, and back? They apparently had to trek a bit through the woods just to wind up on the cliff overlooking the cabin in the distance, then figure out a way to climb down that cliff and make their way to that cabin. 

• Love 1

So the episode titles reference a famous American painting which is "reproduced" in a scene in the show.  But they also seem to have some relevance to the plot.  We have had "Jack-in-the-Pulpit" and saw Jack in the pulpit at the funeral.  "Christina's World" prominently featured Christina Morales.  "The Artist in his Museum" had a lot of Cam, a cartoonist, dealing with his issues and repressed memories.  So I take it we are supposed to infer that "Arrangement in Grey and Black" could refer to some kind of killing pact between Mitchell and Madeline.  And "Kindred Spirits" suggests that Garrett and Jack are both psychopaths.

3 hours ago, blackwing said:

Yes, I particularly noticed the heavy duty rubber gloves.  This cabin was unlocked.  Anybody could have gone in there and put the items in that drawer.  I guess the only issue would be, who knew that Garrett was living there?  None of the family had seen him in years.  They didn't even know he was there.

I'm sticking with my Dylan Bruce theory.  Nothing makes sense on this show, and it wouldn't surprise me if Dylan Bruce and Garrett are secret lovers.  This show doesn't have any gay male characters, and it seems de rigeur these days to have at least one.

I think Garrett could be being framed as well.  Heck, I'm not even sure that when the truth comes out, Mitchell will have been involved in the killings, remember in the first episode where Garrett said he would tell the cops his dad did it (I thought then that Garrett knew who the killer was, was protecting this person and blamed his father for what happened) and Mitchell wanted to come clean, which prompted his murder.  

As for Garrett's whereabouts, Tessa was able to get Garrett to come back with a single phone call, so while she may not have known exactly where he was, Tessa was able to contact him with minimal effort.  Hmmm, this could point to Tessa as the killer.  She seems to be the only Hawthorne Garrett would protect and if she knew how to reach him with one call, she could have known where he was.  If people's theory about fugue states for Tessa is true, the reveal of the SBK being connected to her family could have tripped some internal switch.

• Love 2