Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes

• Start Topic

Just now, Cardie said:

green, I have always been torn between the sheer illogic of it being possible for Elliot and Tyrell to be the same person in the show's real world, which you have detailed well, and the metaphoric ways that he is Elliot's doppelganger. So, although I agree it would be shark-jumping for that to be the case, all my English major vibes have prepared me from the beginning not to go into shock if Esmail pulls alter Tyrell out of his hat.

p.s. Thanks for all those likes.

Hey Cardie I understand.  Question for you or anyone else here.  Does anyone have that monologue Tyrell gave to his wife when he was on his knees before her saying he didn't get the CTO job but it was okay?  I think this is the speech that defines Tyrell's role in the show moving forward but I just have a memory of it; a leaky one no doubt.  What I got was:

He says he doesn't get the job either here or earlier but then says it is okay because he found out he had been setting his sites too low.  Implying that the CTO of E Corp was nothing compared to the vision he has for himself now.  That there is a higher power.

He then goes on to talk vaguely about a nondescript tech you wouldn't even noticed if you passed by him ... something like that.  I assume he was referencing his realization that after looking at the originally hacked C-30 server he found the f.society moniker left behind, knew Eliot must have found it too and is using it as the first step for the biggest hack of all time. 

He decides to let it stay in the server.  He realizes some of the implications could way transcend the power of the biggest corporation on the planet even.  That Eliot had found Pythagoras' fulcrum point where he could move the world as it were I guess I'm saying.  Tyrell probably then later contacted Eliot to get into the circle via the meeting the two had with Elliot going as Mr Robot's persona that we saw.  Alliance or blackmail or what we don't know yet.

After the vague mention of the nondescript tech he adds something about the higher power thing either already or at this point; I forget.  He tops off the higher power stuff with one word, "God."  Tyrell wants to be God.

I saw that as Tyrell realizing what was up and that by joining in Elliot's hack he could possible hijack the hack which he seem to have done in part already by taking credit for it.  He does become the Monopoly Mask guy anyway though what his relationship is with Darlene and the old remnants and new recruits of f.society hasn't been shown yet.  He is acting indeed like a god bestriding the world making demands on E Corp (and the government by default) and if not ruling at least is shaping this brave new world.  Darlene wanted a fair and just society with enough money for all from the hack.  Tyrell wants ultimate power.  Far greater than just being the CTO of the world's large corporation could ever give him.

So I don't see Tyrell as tied to Eliot's persona as much as another very major player with his own agenda separate from E Corp, the world governments, White Rose and the Dark Army, original f.society etc.  Tyrell has become the ultimate demagogue trying to hijack a populist moment created by Elliot/Darlene et al as he tries to ride it to his version of godhood.  We have one clip of him telling Elliot that the last three days they were gods together.  But moving forward?  The Lord Thy Tyrell is a jealous Tyrell and no room for a god named Elliot in his world I suspect.  Short term maybe; long tern, no.

Also this monologue he had with his wife explains a lot about Elliot's one encounter with her.  Her husband has disappeared and is now Monoply Mask Man.  Then 3 days into the hack this young guy shows up not knowing this but just looking for Tyrell at home since Elliot has no memory of those last 3 days and that Tyrell is the most wanted man on earth.  So she is immediately suspicious.  She asks who he is and Elliot just mumbles that he is just a mere tech or something which might ring bells about the whole bit in the monologue she heard earlier about a nondescript tech.

Anyway long-winded another reason I don't see Elliot and Tyrell as one person but rather as super smart adversaries in the long run.  (Sorry if this is too off topic but the threads are so short and the people who are reading this forum tend to come to the most current episode thread I imagine so it seemed okay to put it here).

Edited by green
  • Love 3

I go back and forth on the "are Elliot/Wellick the same person/different personalities" debate. Although there is a lot that indicates it is a possibility, I think the scenes we've seen that we know are reality indicate they are not -- primarily in Season 1 when Wellick and the other E Corp suits come to AllSafe and have that big meeting. That's just too many people involved to try to pull off the split personality argument. That's what I keep coming back to as the deciding factor for me. . . . 

Edited by SailorGirl
On 8/11/2016 at 9:06 AM, SailorGirl said:

they've actually changed it up a bit since last night -- the windows background is different now. Since I don't know how to turn the spoiler tag on, I'll leave it at that.

e-corp-online.com

THIS is cool.

On 8/12/2016 at 7:10 AM, kat165 said:

Frankly, I'm not enjoy this season as much as last. I'm not really a fan of Darlene or Angela or FBI girl so I'm kind of bored when we're in their stories. And suprisingly (to me) I kind of miss Wellick. He was interesting. I also like(d) the fsociety hackers but most of them are gone now.

I actually prefer the Darlene/Angela part of the storyline. I have to say I'm getting pretty bored of the "Elliot is crazy" parts as they don't really appear to progressing anywhere, although that may change with how this episode ended.

I'm also of the thinking that the sitcom bit at the beginning went for far too long. 

Kalliste, I think the problem I have with Darlene and Angela is more that I don't like either actress. Right now Angela's storyline is compelling, but would probably be even more so for me if someone else was in the role.

• Love 1
On August 11, 2016 at 8:36 AM, benteen said:

Apparently Esmail consulted with the guys who did the theme songs for the old TGIF Thank God It's Friday lineup for shows like Perfect Strangers and Family Matters to do the theme song.

http://www.usanetwork.com/mrrobot/blog/now-you-can-sing-along-with-the-mr-robot-theme-song

Mr. Robot Theme Song ("Imagine a World Gone Insane"), by Bennett Salvay and Jesse Frederick

Used to be you could trust in the story

Vilify the villains and celebrate the heroes

You could believe in the guts and the glory ways

Those were the better days

Where did those times go?

When the shimmering sky turns cold and gray

Searching for that spark of light

Just close your eyes and say the words

"Everything's gonna be all right"

(Yeah)

Imagine a world gone insane

Picture yourself high above

Imagine yourself in a world numb with pain

Where the crazies believe in their twisted love

Deep in your heart, hope stays alive

Stand up tall and surely you'll survive

Imagine a world gone insane

(Imagine a world)

Gone insane

Let your mind just drift away

• Love 6
On 8/11/2016 at 10:55 PM, shapeshifter said:

I thought the fibbie hitting on Angela was maybe just to throw her off while he continued to try to figure out what she was doing there, and then she turned it around by pretending she was naive enough to take his flirting at face value.

Angela is so bad at this. When he asked her what she was doing there, she paused for a loooooong time before coming up with an answer. She looked nervous and was acting so suspicious, I can hardly believe an FBI agent would buy her story even if he was attracted to her.

On 8/19/2016 at 9:28 PM, kat165 said:

Kalliste, I think the problem I have with Darlene and Angela is more that I don't like either actress. Right now Angela's storyline is compelling, but would probably be even more so for me if someone else was in the role.

I second this completely. I find Darlene grating and annoying, and Angela is such a wooden actress she's like a zombie. Just nothing there, emotionless. I realize that part of that is her character acting that way, but she seems to suck the life out of every scene she is in. She's the opposite of Rami Malek, who is such a compelling actor he owns every scene he's in.

Agree that the opening sitcom sequence went on at least 5 minutes too long. Was Tyrell being in the trunk a clue as to his real whereabouts? I also liked that it was still very dark, with Gideon getting killed again, Elliot's mom being abusive, etc. That combined with the laugh track was so creepy. And the music was perfect. Well done.

Angela, Angela. Sigh. Is she ever going to be anything more than a boring character (and actress) who seems bad at everything she tries to do? Could she have acted any more suspicious in front of 2 FBI agents? It's too bad they couldn't just send Darlene in there in an Angela disguise.

I couldn't watch the scenes of beating and torture. I hate to see Elliot (and even that other guy -- Cisco?) suffering that much. I loved when Elliot hugged Mr. Robot. I think he will use his Mr. Robot personality to get out of the Ray situation.

I loved the scene at the end where little Elliot is in the car with his dad.

RIP Maxine. I guess dogs don't fare too well on this show (still wondering what happened to Flipper).

• Love 4

I just re-watched this episode and I tell you it is one of my favorite episodes EVER and I love every single thing about this show. Oh my God, but but but, I hate Angela with a passion that knows no bounds, she is a bug eyed bitch and a horrible actress as well.  Season Three just started and I literally want to pull those nasty eyelashes of hers out by the roots. Bye for now!

• Love 1