Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1: No Cast Member Is Safe -- Except Maybe the Title Character

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I too was getting so hopeful for Axel and Doc! Actually, I'll admit it, I still haven't given up hope. Getting bit by Gorman was actually the best thing that could have happened to him, because it seems to me that vampires can survive radiation, and so he can survive that way until he encounters the group again and Vanessa can then turn him back. I just don't really see the show eliminating Axel permanently. Granted I think the writers will be predictable and still shove him together with Vanessa instead of Doc, which tempers my enthusiasm for Axel's return.

Even if Axel could survive the radiation as a vampire and that Vanessa could turn him back, wouldn't he die anyway because he was trapped in that room and could not feed?

If Axel does return, I agree that he will be paired with Vanessa. I don't see how he would ever forgive Doc for abandoning him so there would be no chance for them as a couple.

True, but the things I noticed leading up to what happened in this episode were coming mostly from Vanessa - the places Vanessa would touch Susan, kiss her, and so forth, which just wasn't keeping with the way entirely platonic female friends interact with each other. (That's why I'd commented earlier that if it actually wasn't supposed to be intentional f/f slash, then Kelly Overton is really, really comfortable with the actress playing Susan.) 

I guess I have to rewatch, I never noticed anything out of the ordinary between their physical interaction. I just thought that Van was way too overprotective of Susan, like saving her from Jack twice in one episode and then the flashback episode. That kind of raised my eyebrow a bit but i still didnt foresee what was about to happen in this episode. Dont know whether they will go forward with this, maybe Susan is just having a bit of a hero worship and thats maybe why Vanessa pulled away.

If Axel does return, I agree that he will be paired with Vanessa.I don't see how he would ever forgive Doc for abandoning him so there would be no chance for them as a couple.

Which sucks, they had a good chemistry and they were building to something all this time, only to waste it away. Maybe something will explain away Doc's behavior, they should at least retain the character for next season. I like this group, the show should keep some of the original characters.

Edited by HeroLeague
13 hours ago, HeroLeague said:

I guess I have to rewatch, I never noticed anything out of the ordinary between their physical interaction. I just thought that Van was way too overprotective of Susan, like saving her from Jack twice in one episode and then the flashback episode. That kind of raised my eyebrow a bit but i still didnt foresee what was about to happen in this episode. Dont know whether they will go forward with this, maybe Susan is just having a bit of a hero worship and thats maybe why Vanessa pulled away.

The most noticeable one is in the scene where Vanessa tries to strangle Susan. The whole scene's kinda intimate, but my eyebrows didn't really get raised until Vanessa put her hands all over Susan's chest. It's just not an area you touch. The hugging, hands caressing each other's faces, fine, given the situation, but the chest-touching, not so much.

They did start pinging for me earlier, the episode before when Vanessa and Susan were about to go down the stairs into the creepy sewers and Vanessa put her hands on Susan's waist. That's not close to the same level as the chest-touching, but was juuuuust enough off the norm to make my eyebrows not exactly raise, but twitch. In the second episode (when we first get introduced to their friendship), they do some joking around and then Susan says sometimes she wishes that Vanessa wasn't joking, but at the time I really thought it was all joking, Susan's comment included, because women do joke like that. So I was surprised when the physical hints began. I have to say I'm rather impressed at the writers and actresses for building from completely dismissible to increasingly hmmm to outright blatantness.

I do like Susan for Vanessa because she makes Vanessa laugh - although I expect most likely she'll join the ever-longer list of dead les/bi characters. As for Axel/Doc, I know in my head it's going to be Axel/Vanessa in the end, but part of me still can't help but hope that Doc leaving Axel is just a obstacle for them to get over. He should get it, intellectually, once she explains time had run out, since he ordered her himself that she wasn't to wait past the point of no return radiation-wise, but emotionally is a little harder...and that's exactly why I like them as a couple, their relationship is complicated and nuanced. They have organic angst. Axel/Vanessa is just so generic and paint-by-numbers; Axel/Doc is a far more interesting pairing.

Vanessa and the group take shelter in Susan's family farm, finding both glimmers of hope and reasons for grief. With Sam finally outed as the serial killer, Vanessa and Mohamad take drastic action against him. Meanwhile, Rebecca's latest experiment to create Daywalkers has failed, and Dmitri's patience grows thin.

Ugh, Doc is the worst! I thought it was funny that her blood is now foul to the vamps. I wasnt very keen on Vanessa hooking up with the new hunk, didnt look like Susan was either. I thought it was weird though that he said to her he wouldnt tell her the secret of that place because she was moving on but then a couple scenes later he's professing no knowledge of the shenanigans not!HarrisonWells was getting up to. OK episode but Im ready for the plot to get a bit tighter and for them to go find Axel so she can unvamp him.

ED! I thought that was Tom Cavanagh in the previews. Not sure what accent he was trying to do.

So Sam is the killer. It became pretty clear after he setup John. I wonder what his motives are. I didn't understand what the guy he killed was trying to do by locking him in that room. It didn't seem like there was anything particularly incriminating down there. I thought the girl was going to be revealed to be poisoning Mohammad and using him as a blood bag. I hope this is the last we see of Doc for the season. She is so annoying. With only three episodes left this season, I'm not sure where they're going.

OT: Just out of curiosity, what are the rules regarding single episode threads vs an all episodes/season thread? This show doesn't seem to very active and I'm wondering if it would be better to switch to a single all season one episodes thread rather than continue with individual episode threads.

Edited by ZoqFotPik
  • Love 1

I have been so wrong about the plots on other shows that I am glad that I was right about Sam being serial killer.

Doc is ridiculous. She needs a good slap. 

Vanessa dumped Susan for that guy real quick.

I miss Axel.  

• Love 2

Well damn, looks like our gang is down to the bare minimum now. I thought this episode was okay but nowhere near as good as the last few have been. I see nobody was shocked that Sam was the killer (more or less worked that out a few episodes ago) when he was clearly lying about what the other group was saying. The main plot here was fairly simplistic and has been done over and over again. I do think it's interesting that Doc couldn't be turned back into a vampire. Her anguish at the end was the best part of the episode for me.

• Love 2

So now there are two. However, they both deserve to die for not just killing Sam. I wonder what Sam was telling Mohamed to tell truth about. His sister? Is Mohamed working with the vamps.

Farewell, brave Susan.

• Love 1

This show sure does killing off characters.  I guess we should not get attached to any of them.  I have never really witnessed something like this on an American television show before, meaning main and semi-main characters getting killed off so quick.

I saw Sam as the killer coming from a mile away.  Mainly because Christopher Heyerdahl seems to always plays the psychos in everything that he does (If you have never witnessed him playing the Swede in Hell on Wheels I highly recommend you do so because his character was great).

While on the road to a vampire-controlled camp, Vanessa and Mohamad find themselves in a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse against Sam. Sheema discovers a secret that can bring down the ghetto-cell of the Resistance, while Julius takes a clandestine meeting with Dmitri. Ultimately, Vanessa and Mohamad walk into a trap that places one of them in great peril.

Promo pictures

On 11/21/2016 at 8:38 PM, HeroLeague said:

Yeah too bad, Sam/Mohamed were such a good bromance.

I wasn't clear on this, was it a bromance or a romance? I dont read sign language so without closed captioning (would that even work for sign language?), I had to infer what Sam was saying and it looked to me more like expressions of lover type love towards Mohammad and then when Mohammad was attacking sam, the one thing I could make out in all the yelling was Mohammad saying "you broke my heart". Now I do know friends can break your heart just as easily as lovers but that's just a strange thing for one man to say to another unless they are a bit more intimate than just platonic friends. Also, my recording stopped with I think 3 minutes to go, the last thing I saw was vamp!Sam digging up Susan's corpse and fondling her dead hand, anything happen after that? The most boring parts for me were the machinations of the old vamps, ugh, so boooooooring!!!!

1 hour ago, diebartdie said:

The most boring parts for me were the machinations of the old vamps, ugh, so boooooooring!!!!

I think the Old Vamps' parts will be more interesting once their storyline starts intersecting with Vanessa's. It's all just obligatory setup at the moment which isn't all that riveting. Right now, all I can think of during the scenes with Dimitri is how dismaying it is to see that Bolt has gotten so old. I guess he stopped going to the gym to do leglifts.

• Love 2

Poor Susan. Not only does she get murdered, she's buried next to her abusive father and eaten by her killer. This show really has no qualms about killing characters. I kinda like that. It's looking like the dust is finally starting to settle, it'll be interesting to see where this goes next season. I have my doubts about Denver being safe. Since all of this happened because of the Yellowstone caldera erupting I don't understand how it wouldn't still be under ash.

• Love 3

I don't mind the show not being shy to kill off characters (I knew Susan would die at some point since the actress wasn't a series regular despite being in more episodes than several of the ones who are), but it does concern me that the show has now wiped out all of the major relationships that had ever been established: Axl/Doc, Axl/Vanessa, Vanessa/Susan, Mohammad/Sam. It makes this show feel very untethered in a way that isn't good. Sure, the show could develop Vanessa and Mohammad into a strong friendship, bring back swordsman dude, reunite Mohammad and his sister, or create a new relationship altogether...but with the way the show blew past all of its original relationships before the first season even ended, it'll be difficult for at least some viewers to invest in anything new. If removing the Axl actor's name from the opening credits turns out to be a fake-out like when TWD did it with Steven Yeun last season, that could be fixed pretty easily though.

And I've said this before, but the show also really needs to start beefing up the Rebecca plotline. I like the actors in it, but it is hard to care when both the characters and the story are extremely underdeveloped. I was with Dmitri when he was complaining about whether this is ever going to go anywhere.

I wondered if what Sam was saying to Mohammad had to do with his sister. His sister is the only thing that I could see getting under Mohammad's skin enough to start beating up Sam. And while I get why the show didn't want to lose the Sam character, and it will be interesting to see what he does as a vampire, not having Vanessa kill Sam outright was so incredibly contrived. Vanessa has a terrible temper, that's well-established. I didn't believe she'd be so calm that she'd actually be in a place where she would need him to close his eyes to bring herself to shoot him. And in a world where people can get turned, leaving the guy who's been a serial killer since he was a kid just seemed wildly irresponsible. Vanessa and Mohammad sure fucked that entire thing up - now Sam's a vampire, and he dug up Susan to eat her after they went to the trouble of burying her (though not that much trouble, since it appears she was only about a half a foot down). Great job, guys!

• Love 2

I wasn't clear on this, was it a bromance or a romance? I dont read sign language so without closed captioning (would that even work for sign language?), I had to infer what Sam was saying and it looked to me more like expressions of lover type love towards Mohammad and then when Mohammad was attacking sam, the one thing I could make out in all the yelling was Mohammad saying "you broke my heart"

I always saw Mohamed as a teenager, so it never occured to me they could be lovers, who knows with this show.....

Also, my recording stopped with I think 3 minutes to go, the last thing I saw was vamp!Sam digging up Susan's corpse and fondling her dead hand, anything happen after that? 

Thought he wanted to drink her blood?

I knew Brendan would show up again. I wonder how long Mohammad was working for Dmitri. I'm guessing that's the truth Sam was talking about. Given that that this is a Canadian Sci-Fi show, it was only a matter of time before Ryan Robbins showed up. I wonder who the vampire helping him was. It doesn't seem like it would be Rebecca because if she already had contacts within the Resistance and didn't know for certain Taka was real, then she wouldn't need Sheema. I'm guessing the Resistance attack on the blood farm will enable Vanessa to escape. Only after Dmitri has had time to explain Vanessa's family history of course.

• Love 2

Mohamed's betrayal sucks

Buts its Vanessa fault, there were so many signs that Mohamed was lying to her, Susan died because he neglected to update them about Sam. Vanessa should have take not of all the red flags, she was too naive and too trusting.

• Love 1

I think Mohammed and Sam had a romantic relationship, vamp Sam was saying how they could still be together and Mohammed's comment about breaking his heart in the prior episode.  Hopefully Mohammed isn't a teenager.

Finally looks like the next episode will get some exposition..I've been waiting and also time to get Axel back..

• Love 1

Had some of the events, such as the info dump about Vanessa, in this episode happened earlier in the season, I feel this would have been a better episode. As it stands it was kind of dumb. The last ten minutes were a complete mess. Dmitri seemed to know that giving Vanessa blood would give her powers. So why were they surprised when she fought back? Did Dylan, Anastasia, or someone else give her the blood while she was in the cell? So Rebecca was helping Taka and the resistance. It seems a bit much for her to go from not even being sure that he existed to finding and convincing him to work with her in such a short amount of time. Although he did turn on the resistance to moment Dmitri hinted at a better deal, so maybe not. I'm not sure what Sheema was doing. One minute she's attacking Mohammad for wanting to leave, the next she's running down the hall with her backpack only to get hit by an explosion. For a show that wasn't renewed until fairly recently, they really left a lot of plot lines, some that they dedicated a lot of time towards, dangling, Julius, Sam, Doc, and Theo and the Eden Survivors. But, hey at least Axel is back. I'll be back for season 2, but they really need to step up the writing and pacing.

Also, I just noticed that Amanda Tapping directed this episode and three others, and Jason Priestley directed two. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ZoqFotPik said:

Also, I just noticed that Amanda Tapping directed this episode and three others, and Jason Priestley directed two. 

The show doesn't have any issues with direction, which I thought was really good from the beginning. The writing, though, was completely atrocious, given the pay-off and the non-existent character development.

• Love 4

So it took 13 episodes for Vanessa to find out she is a Van Helsing and that her kind has hunted vampires for years. When Dimitri was talking in the beginning I kept wanting him to get to the point already, also he said Vanessa's mother tried to stop the birth when she found out the truth about her father. Is her father a vampire, is that why she gets strength from blood?

This stuff should have been explained a few episodes in instead of spinning the wheels..

What happened to Sam, I thought he was coming after Mohammed? Also is Mohammed dead ? 

The highlight of the episode was seeing Axel at the end but I couldn't tell if he was a vamp. 

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 1

They should have gotten to this point in the first six episodes or fewer.   I'll give it a few more episodes next season to see if pacing improves as it did in Dark Matter, but if they continue to poke along, I'm probably done.   I don't find Vanessa to be very charismatic, so that's also a problem for me.  At least they're not afraid to kill characters off! 

• Love 5

I'm in for the next season. I watched the first couple of episodes only halfheartedly and fully expecting to ditch this show. Really, it ought to be an automatic pass. It's a low budget Canadian cheese-fest about vampires on the SyFy channel (never a good sign) and the main character is the least compelling one in the story. And yet, somehow they managed to pull it off, at least for me. I think the DarkMatter example is a relevant one here. That show did nothing but piss of hard core sci-fi fans the first season but it's still on the air and still getting better. So, yeah as for the episode, the vampire intrigues seem the most compelling part of the story to me....and wow, I figured Axel was still around but I rather assumed he was still human. Human Axel was the most interesting of the group, with the possible exception of Susan and I have a feeling vampire/Axel will be even more fun. 

I think one and done for me.  The lead character is not very compelling, which is a huge problem, and the actress playing her just isn't very good.  The reason I watched the entire season was because some of the supporting characters were interesting but I'm not going to tune in for another season just to see what vamp Axel will be up to or to see Mohammed redeem himself.

• Love 1

Mohammed's sister whacked him over the head, but it didn't look like he was dead.   It's a convenient whack because he can be dead when they do the new season if they need to cut costs or something or up and bouncing around if they decide on that.   

I'm rewatching (call me crazy, but I never got to see the last 3 or so episodes). Why do the vampires never clean their faces? I'm not talking about the ferals because - duh - but the regular vamps are always running around with blood just dripping. Do they lose their manners and become sloppy, nasty eaters once being bitten? 

• Like 1