Type keyword(s) to search

The Tick - General Discussion

• Start Topic

In a world where superheroes have been real for decades, an accountant with mental health issues and zero powers comes to realize his city is owned by a global super villain long-thought dead. As he struggles to uncover this conspiracy, he falls in league with a strange blue superhero, who may or may not be a figment of his own imagination...

Available to watch here: https://www.amazon.com/The-Tick/dp/B01J77RHH0/

I enjoyed the pilot. It's mostly setup, but it's done fairly well, and I'd definitely watch more.

Hopefully we get more of the other superheroes in the series proper. Brendan Hines is a regular so I assume he'll be showing up more, but I always loved the Tick's supporting cast.

Not sure about the whole "all in his head" thing. Hopefully they won't drag that out long, and I hope he's real.

• Love 3

I think this time The Tick is definitely real, but Arthur may have somehow brought him into being.

The old live action series was much more laugh a minute, but this one will probably have more emotional depth, and it was still often very funny. Poor Arthur. And the crushing, shooting, mutilation by syphilis thing was very dark, though. I do like that the stakes are a bit higher.

I do hope that if they continue, they eventually build a team of colleagues around them, like last time. In the last series, I really enjoyed watching the whole group's reaction to The Tick, not just Arthur's so it's something I want to see again. Arthur is very likeable, thankfully.

And The Tick's constant, ridiculous, stream-of-conscious, heroic verbal diarrhoea is as delightful as it always has been. I've really missed that. It's been too long.

• Love 1

I really liked it too. Patrick Warburton is hard to beat but Peter did a pretty bang up job. The Tick has to be real!  Arthur needs a win I think. It is getting great reviews so I am hopeful for a full season.

• Love 2

I liked this a lot- but is it for sure going to be a series?  Aren't people voting and then they decide?  Every time I do that, the show I actually picked is never the one to get made into a series.  :(

• Love 1
On 29/8/2016 at 8:50 PM, GenL said:

I liked this a lot- but is it for sure going to be a series?  Aren't people voting and then they decide?  Every time I do that, the show I actually picked is never the one to get made into a series.  :(

It's never clear how much the voting matters; my guess is not much. If Amazon want to make a full season they will. I'd be surprised if it's not picked up.

Based on the recent interview in Entertainment Weekly, I suspect that this is not the Tick reboot for which I was hoping.  I don't want a dark, pensive, Dark Knight-like version centered around Arthur.  I enjoyed the animated version because it was absurd and funny and exceedingly clever.  I may still watch at least the first episode, but my anticipation level has definitely lowered.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Based on the recent interview in Entertainment Weekly, I suspect that this is not the Tick reboot for which I was hoping.  I don't want a dark, pensive, Dark Knight-like version centered around Arthur.  I enjoyed the animated version because it was absurd and funny and exceedingly clever.  I may still watch at least the first episode, but my anticipation level has definitely lowered.

I also felt it was a little too dark but the first episode was his origin story and as with most superheros they have tragic beginnings so having it here fits and it was so over the top it was funny in a sad sort of way. Judging by the first episode i think it will be for the most part absurd and funny and exceedingly clever like you said. I just hope for less sadness (some darkness could make it good in my opinion but not too much). Im hoping the interview is just to get people to try it and once they do im sure they will love the tick as much as i did the animated series as a kid.

I found this to be pretty bad.  I was definitely not looking for a dark and gritty version of the Tick.  I mean what's the point of the Tick without much in the way of humor.  Also, a minor nitpick but, as much as I like the actor playing the Tick, it seems wrong to me for the Tick to be so scrawny.

So, I was re-watching the Pilot episode.  Have they uploaded a longer cut?  I don't remember theme music.  Also there was a scene with the Tick trying to break Arthur out of the jail, and disappearing before Dot saw him that seemed new.  Are these new, or did am I just crazy and missed them last year?

18 hours ago, ApathyMonger said:

I want a talking boat.

Me too. I also agree about enjoying the season. I hadn't realized it was only 6 episodes and was very disappointed when it ended.

I really hope Ms. Lint sees through the Terror and is just biding her time before making a move to take over. She deserves better.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, akg said:

Me too. I also agree about enjoying the season. I hadn't realized it was only 6 episodes and was very disappointed when it ended.

They filmed twelve episodes; I think the plan is to show the next six in the first half of 2018, then the first half of S2 this time next year, etc. I hope so anyway.

Episode 3 and I'm loving this version. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting, at all. It started off with a narrative that was dark as shit! But once you embrace the madness it really is quite enjoyable. There is way, way more backstory to Arthur and some other characters that is unexpectly interesting. 

Peter Serafinowicz is doing a very different version than Patrick Warburton, which is a wise choice. Since nobody can follow that act! And the movement of his antennas is an ongoing delight.

Yara Martinez is great as Ms. Lint. I'm enjoying her story as much as the main one. 

• Love 1

I like how Overkill & Lint capture the chemistry of Die Fledermaus and American Maid despite being completely different characters.

Have they told us outright that Overkill is the member of the Flag Five they let live after destroying his eyes and hands?

9 hours ago, jbrecken said:

I like how Overkill & Lint capture the chemistry of Die Fledermaus and American Maid despite being completely different characters.

Have they told us outright that Overkill is the member of the Flag Five they let live after destroying his eyes and hands?

Hee! I was just thinking the same thing on both counts! Overkill has to be the surviving member of Flag Five. It's the only thing that makes sense. I'm going to go back and rewatch the pilot and see if I cant get a better look at him.

• Love 1

I was nervous at first when I heard they were making a "grim and gritty" version of The Tick, but I gotta say, I'm loving this show. Dropping The Tick headfirst into a dark superhero world without changing his personality one bit is the perfect counterpoint to the Snyderverse.

And hey, who doesn't love a sentient boat that spends its free time composing its own theme song?

• Love 3

Cliffhanger! Ha! Im also glad it got lighter as it went on thats what i was hoping for when i saw the pilot! I loved when overkill and the tick were trying to fight but then the moment passed!

And even the "bad guys" lint and the terror were pretty jokes their banter killed me! Im glad they spent money on this.. i thought it might look stupid live action (watched the cartoon as a kid) but nope looks legit while still making me die of laughter!

On 9/3/2017 at 0:29 PM, The Crazed Spruce said:

I was nervous at first when I heard they were making a "grim and gritty" version of The Tick, but I gotta say, I'm loving this show. Dropping The Tick headfirst into a dark superhero world without changing his personality one bit is the perfect counterpoint to the Snyderverse.

I thought the same thing after the pilot. I thought that making The Tick darker was a really stupid idea, but it didn't take me long to realize what they were doing. Sticking the super cheerful and heroic Tick in the middle of a darker universe (essentially putting the Adam West Batman into the Dark Knight or Daredevil) is a great way to make the superhero parody from the cartoon fresh again. I really ended up enjoying the show, and am excited to see more. 

I think my favorite supporting character was Miss. Lint, and I hope we get to see her and Overkill interacting. While it wasn't flat out said, I am like 98% convinced that Overkill is the one member of the Flag Five who survived after having his eyes and hands ruined. The guy hates the Terror, is all Dark and Angry, and has robotic hands and eyes. Its right there! Maybe he had something going with Miss Lint back then too, and Terror let him live as a favor to her? 

• Love 2

Upon re-watch this series is actually quite brilliant. Every little thing that is happening in the background is important to the story. The little clips we see on televisions in the background and the radio piece in the cab that Arthur was listening to, ect, ect. 

I am not one who picks up on this stuff in the first pass, so I only really noticed how seamless the scenes are planned and shot when I took a second look. I have to say I enjoyed it even more the second time for that reason! 

The casting is pretty perfect, acting is spot on and the writing is absolutely appealing. I devoutly hope that this series gets picked up for a full series order, because it is one of the most impressive offerings I have seen in a while. They really have accomplished quite a bit with what must be quite a modest budget. I will take good acting and writing over special effects any day of the week, but they have managed to get a good balance!

Also, the Dangerboat theme song should be incorporated into every episode!

Edited by CaptainTightpants

Finally did a second watch. And, just like the first time, I was unable to stop until I'd watched all six episodes.

I do think it starts out a bit... unTickly, but it after that just keeos getting better and better and better.

I will kind of miss Ramses, but his story ended the way it had to. You can't keep on being a dick to super villains and then be surprised when they use their powers on you.

I was lukewarm on the first half of the season but it took me just 5 minutes into the second half to love it. It brightened up my cold Sunday.

I think the relationships are starting to gel, even the bad guys are kinda likeable. It's goofy but affecting, violent but zany, and I'm a sucker for a good pun. I really hope it gets a second season. This show NEEDS a second season. If for nothing else, I want to know Walter's back story.

Overkill looks and sounds so much like Nathan Stark from Eureka, it makes me automatically like him.

• Love 3

Finally the Tick says "Spoon!" My life is complete. 

I am intrigued about Walter now that we know he is a ninja as well as a world class-never-ending-storyteller. 

And I would love it if the show could work an actual poetry jam with Overkill into season 2. Because that deserves a callback. 

I absolutely love this reboot. Peter Serafinowicz is perfect! And the show is packed with delightful little sight gags. I think my favorite one was in the finale where the escape pod from the big "T" ship is a lower case "t"!

It look a bit for Dot to grow on me, but now I love her, and Overkill and the lovestruck Dangerboat (he might be my absolute favorite) and the entire crew including Ms. Lint and Midnight the pyrokinetic dog.  

As a final thought, I think my new dream house is Tinfoil Kevin's giant robot head office. 

• Love 1

The second half of the season was even better than the first! Its wacky and absurdist, but also rather affecting and emotional, and thats a hard line to walk. I think it was the second half when the show pulled it all together, and became the show I want to see even more of, officially. 

The cast is really great as well, I especially love the guy who plays Overkill. He can swing really fast from playing the "tortured, angry vigilante with a dark past" straight, to playing it for parody, and he and Dot were a fun combination. 

Cant wait to see what happens next!

• Love 5

I've still only really watched the first half of season one, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I want to live in whatever strange universe The Tick lives in in his head. I loved his "You have to start learning your neighbors' names, Arthur, it makes the group hugs much less uncomfortable" and "That's not a stranger, that's Tinfoil Kevin! You see him everyday, and now you've seen most of his body!" Such a wingnut, but I'm kind of in love. 

(edited)

I was able to see the first half of the season 2 pilot at Wondercon on Saturday, and I have to say that this season looks even more riotously funny than the last. So good.

I also got to meet the cast and Ben Edlund at a signing! They are a really fun group! Can't wait for this to come out this weekend!

(Between this and Cloak and Dagger, it's going to be a long weekend!)

ETA: Also, Edlund and producer Barry Josephson hinted that there may be some familiar faces from the original live-action series showing up down the road. Liz Vassey was confirmed for some kind of cameo this season, and he did name drop Nestor Carbonell at one point, too (though I think more in reference to a possible S3 showing).

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 1

That was such a great season, loved it. All the new supporting characters were great, loved getting more of the characters we already know (I am all there for Dot/Overkill), and setting stuff up for next season. Yep, the magic guy is right, that secret the commander has is gonna be a whole thing...

Those lobsters were flipping adorable. 

Poor Dangerboat needs to learn to love himself and be less desperate. Someone needs to introduce him to Danny the Street. I know they don't exist in the same universe, but I wish they did.

I'm also loving Dot and Overkill. Because Dot is such a no nonsense straight shooter, she can cut through a lot of his tough guy affectation.

Was Tyrannosaurus Rathbone born with a void in his chest that leads to an Eldritch monster or was it acquired?

Superian's self-absorbed meltdown cracked me up.