Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

I saw Chrissy Teigen on a talk show and didn't know who she was, but she kept referring to her husband John. "This is John's favorite cake. John and I were in Chicago. I'll have to tell John about this. I wonder where John is right now" to the point where I was wishing Elaine Benes was there to tell her maybe the dingo ate John. Then I found out "John" was John Legend and, to be honest, if I were married to John Legend I wouldn't shut up about it either.

23 hours ago, Ohwell said:

And then him calling the national anthem "weak" and him being "one of the best" at singing it--was just too much.  It's one thing to say you prefer "America The Beautiful" over "The Star Spangled Banner" as the national anthem--I've heard that discussion many times and I get that--but that doesn't mean you have to diss the current anthem.

I think he did call it a weak song, but his objection to it was that its history, which he said he had just learned himself, was that it was written as a pro-slavery song that celebrates the death of fleeing slaves who were trying to find refuge with the British military during the War of 1812. He linked to a couple of articles about it:

Colin Kaepernick Is Righter Than You Know: The National Anthem Is A Celebration of Slavery

Where’s the Debate on Francis Scott Key’s Slave-Holding Legacy?

(None of this is to convince you to like him, since I support anyone hating any celebrity anytime even if it's one that I like, but just to explain his position on the the anthem.)

• Love 12
14 hours ago, atomationage said:

Back on Roseanne, her views coincide with Drumpf on a number of points, like Brexit.  She's definitely against Hillary. 

I wonder when she changed her mind about Hillary. She was a big supporter of her in 2008, and I remember her sniping at Oprah because Oprah was an Obama supporter. Then after the election she went on Oprah's show and apologized to her, saying that even though she wanted Hillary, she now agreed that Obama was the right person for this time in history. She also apologized for saying that Oprah cheated when they arm-wrestled many years earlier. Roseanne is always a trip.

• Love 2
On 9/1/2016 at 10:35 AM, DeLurker said:

@topanga - Since she was a SI swimsuit model, I'm going with the obvious.  She's got a nice bod, but I wouldn't rate her face above cute but SI doesn't consult with me on these matters.

Her face is a bit too chipmunk like for my taste, but I'm a straight chick so who cares what I think about this. ;)

• Love 6
23 hours ago, atomationage said:

I wish Christian Bale was in a television show for me to include him as someone I just can't stand. 

He was in a TV mini-series and several TV movies, so include him. Include him!

• Love 2
On 9/1/2016 at 8:42 PM, atomationage said:

I wish Christian Bale was in a television show for me to include him as someone I just can't stand. 

4 hours ago, topanga said:

He was in a TV mini-series and several TV movies, so include him. Include him!

Full disclosure: I love Christian Bale, but to save you from having your posts moved, you can always post/include your dislike of him in the movie thread--there's a thread for Actors you Can't Stand in the Untitled Movie Project forum.

• Love 2

I have many leftover grudges from my years of soap watching, so even though I haven't watched her on anything in twenty years, I still can't stand this actress named Kim Rhodes, who was on Another World.  She went on to be the mom on that Disney show with the twins, The Suite Life of Somebody & His Brother, and apparently did a few episodes of Supernatural (I'm told by a friend who's an SPN fan that she rides that SPN convention circuit gravy train hard, as any wise z-lister would), but I can't look at her without thinking about how desperately I hated her on AW.

• Love 1

Michael Weatherly. I think I've mentioned before I disliked him for being a WASP playing an Italian in "NCIS" (and yes, I know there are blond Italians), but the commercials for his new series, "Bull," just make me hate him all the more. It doesn't help that I know it's supposed to be based on the life of Dr. Phil, a bullshit scam artist suckling at Oprah's teat.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Michael Weatherly. I think I've mentioned before I disliked him for being a WASP playing an Italian in "NCIS" (and yes, I know there are blond Italians), but the commercials for his new series, "Bull," just make me hate him all the more. It doesn't help that I know it's supposed to be based on the life of Dr. Phil, a bullshit scam artist suckling at Oprah's teat.

I don't think it is about Dr. Phil. I think the show is about Phil Jackson the ex-coach of the Chicago Bulls & LA Lakers. Weatherly bugs me too but not as much as the rest of the NCIS cast.

• Love 1

I am shocked at myself for not saying this sooner, especially with recent revelations of this man's dirty deeds. I have not liked him even before he was revealed as a rapist and dislike him more now: Bill Cosby.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, pivot said:

I don't think it is about Dr. Phil. I think the show is about Phil Jackson the ex-coach of the Chicago Bulls & LA Lakers. Weatherly bugs me too but not as much as the rest of the NCIS cast.

From the CBS website:

Bull stars Michael Weatherly as Dr. Jason Bull in a drama inspired by the early career of Dr. Phil McGraw, the founder of one of the most prolific trial consulting firms of all time.

While the show is not directly about Dr. Phil, the similarities are not coincidental.

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:32 AM, Enigma X said:

I am shocked at myself for not saying this sooner, especially with recent revelations of this man's dirty deeds. I have not liked him even before he was revealed as a rapist and dislike him more now: Bill Cosby.

And the sad part about this is that before all these incidents were revealed, I LIKED him a great deal and liked most of his work ( Leonard Part Six and the latter-day Cosby excepted). I mean, I cut my teeth on The Electric Company and Fat Albert and am sad that I no longer can watch the latter especially without feeling sickened that the jovial, helpful person on the screen evidently was quite different from real life.  The only positive thing is that now I have some insight as to  how Lance Armstrong supporters who hung in until his own [partial] confessions must feel.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 5

I used to watch Americas Funniest Home Videos when Tome Bergeron hosted but that was a long time ago and I had no feelings towards him either way. I don't watch DWTS so can't say much about him there but last year he did a radio interview on a local station and he was pretty awesome. Down to earth, funny, all around great guy.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 0:37 PM, amaranta said:

I think I might have to do a take backsies on Tom Bergeron.  I saw a clip of the Ryan Lochte situation from DWTS (don't watch the show) and he handled it beautifully.

I'll substitute in Matt Lauer.

I think I'll do backsies on Sarah Jessica Parker. I'll skip why I couldn't stand her for now (and it had nothing to do with appearance) and give her kudos for actually giving up a good amount of change by ending her endorsement of Epi  Pens after they skyrocketed the cost.  I'll sub Sarah Silverman instead -considering that the most positive emotion I feel for her is pity after seeing and hearing her speak.

• Love 3
On 9/19/2016 at 7:36 PM, roamyn said:

I heartily dislike Sarah Silverman.  She isn't remotely funny.  I'll add James Gaffigan (?), even tho he is slightly funny.

I'll mostly agree with you about Silverman. In general, I'm not a fan of her comedy. I did like her interview on Totally Biased when she attacked Hollywood's  treatment of women.  And she was great the somewhat-disappointing movie I Smile Back

Jim Gaffigan cracks me up and seems like a pretty nice guy, but he's everywhere these days.  I can't turn on the TV or look up a podcast without a mention of an upcoming appearance.  I'm feeling some serious Gaffigan overload.

13 minutes ago, topanga said:

Jim Gaffigan cracks me up and seems like a pretty nice guy, but he's everywhere these days.  I can't turn on the TV or look up a podcast without a mention of an upcoming appearance.  I'm feeling some serious Gaffigan overload.

That's the thing about comedy; everything ain't for everybody. I can generally take or leave Jim Gaffigan, but I'll always love his stand-up bit about "Hot Pockets" lol

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

Ok, Billy Bush already grated on my last nerve, but that leaked interview with Trump released today set me over the edge and on fire. For him to sit there and giggle as Trump describes sexually violating women he finds attractive? Fuck that disgusting, no-talent, got where he is because his cousin was the Prez, misogynist pig. I am not shocked that Trump would say something like that, but for Bush to entertain it and find it funny? He can rot in hell.

Trump saying these things didn't surprise me.  And given his Lochte defense, Bush going along with it didn't totally shock me either.  But when he told Adrienne Zucker, the actress, to hug them both after the conversation they were having about her on the bus, I gagged.  That wasn't just going along with it.  That was pushing it further.

• Love 17

My first thought when I heard the tape was damn, I wish it wasn't the weekend because I'd love to hear Billy Bush on the Today Show try to justify and apologize for his part.  It wouldn't bother me if he got fired reassigned.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But when he told Adrienne Zucker, the actress, to hug them both after the conversation they were having about her on the bus, I gagged.  That wasn't just going along with it.  That was pushing it further.

Thank you! Just seeing their interaction with her after hearing the conversation just made it all the more creepy and added a layer of subtext over every word they said to her and every action they took.  It was just gross.

• Love 10

The report on alleged life on The Apprentice set is sounding more credible now:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2778a6ab72ea49558445337865289508/ap-how-trumps-apprentice-moved-capitalism-sexism

"We were in the boardroom one time figuring out who to blame for the task, and he just stopped in the middle and pointed to someone and said, 'You'd f... her, wouldn't you? I'd f... her. C'mon, wouldn't you?'"

The person continued: "Everyone is trying to make him stop talking, and the woman is shrinking in her seat."

• Love 4

Although I admit I'm tempted to do so, I'm NOT getting into politics here. However; both the individuals whose tasteless convo has been talked about were are married so why didn't either of them shut down that conversation ASAP out of respect for their wives and families even if they couldn't have cared less about these other women?

Oh, and to keep things on topic,  IMO the Mr. Bush of the tabloid TV set always had the charm of gnat in an ear canal (and I never liked  the 'reality' shows a certain Presidential nominee hosted) so as infuriating as this exchange was, it was by no means a case of hero disillusionment.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Blergh said:

Although I admit I'm tempted to do so, I'm NOT getting into politics here. However; both the individuals whose tasteless convo has been talked about were are married so why didn't either of them shut down that conversation ASAP out of respect for their wives and families even if they couldn't have cared less about these other women?

Oh, and to keep things on topic,  IMO the Mr. Bush of the tabloid TV set always had the charm of gnat in an ear canal (and I never liked  the 'reality' shows a certain Presidential nominee hosted) so as infuriating as this exchange was, it was by no means a case of hero disillusionment.

Billy Bush was married at the time (& still is, as far as I know). Trump was between marriages, but engaged to his current wife, Melania, at the time the tape was made.

I read on my Twitter earlier that Billy Bush isn't being fired from Today for his part in the tape. Presumably under the "He wasn't working for us at the time (he was still hosting Access Hollywood, along with Nancy O'Dell whom Trump talked about unsuccessfully trying to put the make on in the tape), so why should we fire him for it?" clause. Which is stupid.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Billy Bush was married at the time (& still is, as far as I know). Trump was between marriages, but engaged to his current wife, Melania, at the time the tape was made.

Not that it matters because I don't think anyone would accuse Donald Trump of being faithful even back then but he and Melania were married in January 2005.  This tape came out in September 2005.

I read on my Twitter earlier that Billy Bush isn't being fired from Today for his part in the tape. Presumably under the "He wasn't working for us at the time (he was still hosting Access Hollywood, along with Nancy O'Dell whom Trump talked about unsuccessfully trying to put the make on in the tape), so why should we fire him for it?" clause. Which is stupid.

TV critic Joe Adalian wrote a little something about who runs The Today Show which sheds some light on the fact that he might just be clueless.  But then I think the coverage so far has been relatively easy on him in their willingness to say he just went along with it.

ETA: Forgot to link the article I mentioned above.

I don't think Billy Bush, as much of a prick that he is, should be fired from his current job. 

I don't see a reason why he should keep it.  Is he really so valuable and talented that NBC is willing to take the hit of keeping a guy who yukked it up with someone talking about women the way Trump was?  There is definitely some talent related to these jobs but a lot of it is likability.  There's a fickleness to who keeps and loses these positions.  Would he have gotten as far as he did if he weren't related to the Bush family? And hey, whatever, he got his break.  He's the one who squandered it.

If I'm in charge of The Today Show, I don't know that it's worth keeping him.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Not that it matters because I don't think anyone would accuse Donald Trump of being faithful even back then but he and Melania were married in January 2005.  This tape came out in September 2005.

TV critic Joe Adalian wrote a little something about who runs The Today Show which sheds some light on the fact that he might just be clueless.  But then I think the coverage so far has been relatively easy on him in their willingness to say he just went along with it.

ETA: Forgot to link the article I mentioned above.

I don't see a reason why he should keep it.  Is he really so valuable and talented that NBC is willing to take the hit of keeping a guy who yukked it up with someone talking about women the way Trump was?  There is definitely some talent related to these jobs but a lot of it is likability.  There's a fickleness to who keeps and loses these positions.  Would he have gotten as far as he did if he weren't related to the Bush family? And hey, whatever, he got his break.  He's the one who squandered it.

If I'm in charge of The Today Show, I don't know that it's worth keeping him.

Thanks for the correction. It makes more sense that Trump was married at the time, given the "I forgive him" (I think that's basically what she said) statement Melania Trump issued since the tape was leaked.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove a duplicate quote box.
On 10/9/2016 at 9:52 PM, Rosiejuliemom said:

I have never liked Jerry Seinfeld or thought he was funny in the least. Something about him is just like biting on tinfoil.

Oh, how I'm ever in with you on that one (not just him, but that 90s NBC comedy that was named for him)!

• Love 4
On 10/9/2016 at 8:52 PM, Rosiejuliemom said:

I have never liked Jerry Seinfeld or thought he was funny in the least. Something about him is just like biting on tinfoil.

I don't get him at all.  I was scared off of watching anything Julia Louis-Dryfuss related for years because I hated Seinfeld so much.

• Love 3

I can't stand Jerry or his Seinfeld show. But, he has a new show about riding in a car with celebrities and he had President Obama on. They rode around the White House in a vintage car with the president driving. Another funny bit was Jerry eating an apple in the Oval Office and wanting to discard the core in the garbage. Obama said not to throw it in the "presidential garbage" but pointed out to the hallway and said throw it in there. Jerry got impatient because he wanted to go on the car ride. Obama, sitting at his desk says he's "kinda busy" They later had coffee together. Jerry really has comic timing and so does Barack Obama. I surprised myself that I enjoyed anything Jerry Seinfeld did.

• Love 4

With all these news re a certain Presidential candidate's  talking trash about so many women, I'd like to say that I've NEVER liked Howard Stern and would like to know WHY he's been given a free pass all these years to say the most vile stuff on the air. Yeah, yeah, I know all about the free speech deal and I don't dispute his technical right here. However; why is that, instead of turning it off and urging his showbiz cronies not to have him on their shows, so many folks kept just tuning into the trainwreck and shrugging off all the   tasteless stuff he said and others, including celebs, participated in?  Why has it been  considered by so many  worse to be tagged a prude than to say ' He's gone too far. I'm not going to watch/ listen to him anymore.' ? For the record,   as soon as I first heard his 'show', I got revolted, turned it off and never regretted missing it but it seems others kept this afloat.  

• Love 21

I used to like Howard Stern.  His book 'Private Parts', is very well written and illuminating. 

But I just couldn't take him anymore.  I don't understandhow Robin could work with him all these decades and not be offended. 

Oh, in case I didn't mention it, I can't stand Matthew McConahay.  When he won the Oscar, and over Bruce Dern! - I wanted to throw up.

• Love 3

I think it's mostly his on air persona (could be wrong, though!) to be gross, but Howard Stern becomes a human when he interviews people, like, for real. He's had some really good interviews. I'm excluding the Trump interview even though I've never heard it.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Blergh said:

Yeah, yeah, I know all about the free speech deal and I don't dispute his technical right here. However; why is that, instead of turning it off and urging his showbiz cronies not to have him on their shows, so many folks kept just tuning into the trainwreck and shrugging off all the   tasteless stuff he said and others, including celebs, participated in? 

• Love 2
On 2016-09-02 at 11:25 AM, fishcakes said:

I saw Chrissy Teigen on a talk show and didn't know who she was

I know who she is but I don't know WHO she is.  Aside from being married to John Legend, what exactly is her claim to fame?  All I ever read about her is how she spouts off when people criticize her on Twitter.

• Love 2