Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

I don't like Padma Lakshmi. She seems to take a concerning amount of pleasure in being vicious and condescending. I'd much rather listen to Gail, Emeril, and Tom. While we're at it, I don't like Richard Blais. He's like if Jim Carrey was a chef. Narcissistic and muggy.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, BabyVegas said:

I don't like Padma Lakshmi. She seems to take a concerning amount of pleasure in being vicious and condescending. I'd much rather listen to Gail, Emeril, and Tom. While we're at it, I don't like Richard Blais. He's like if Jim Carrey was a chef. Narcissistic and muggy.

I never watched Top Chef but I've seen her on other shows and it's as if she's expecting someone to tell her how gorgeous she is.  And she can cook, too!  ugh. 

• Love 4
On 12/19/2016 at 9:19 PM, BabyVegas said:

I don't like Padma Lakshmi. She seems to take a concerning amount of pleasure in being vicious and condescending. I'd much rather listen to Gail, Emeril, and Tom.

I'm not a huge fan of Padma either, but I find her hilarious on the occasions when she's high or flirting. I love the quickfire when she's trying to flirt with the Gronk and he's completely oblivious.

I agree about Oprah. Her ego is completely out of control.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

Oh, and of course, it got to be a bit much that she seemed to believe she knew more about others' struggles than the people themselves who had actually gone through them.

I wish I could remember what comedian said practically the same thing; he said that whatever someone goes through, Oprah's been through it, too. It could be a man talking about his testicular cancer and she would probably jump in and say, "Yeah, me too, now let me tell you all about that!"

• Love 5

I don't care if he is the nicest guy on the planet Earth who spends all his free time rescuing kittens out of trees, I cannot stand Kevin O'Leary from Shark Tank. He's unnecessarily rude, condescending, and smug. I hate that he "forbids" other Sharks from offering investments, as if he's the man in charge. Realistically, I know he's probably playing the Simon Cowell-type character, but at some point acting enough like an asshole makes a person functionally no different than being an asshole. I swear he is living proof that the "Canadians are nice" stereotype is BS. Honestly, it kind of makes me sad that he was in any way involved in some of my favorite childhood computer games. 

• Love 5
On 2/12/2017 at 7:33 PM, HunterHunted said:

I'm not a huge fan of Padma either, but I find her hilarious on the occasions when she's high or flirting. I love the quickfire when she's trying to flirt with the Gronk and he's completely oblivious.

She's 1,000x better than the former Katie Joel.

• Love 3

I just realized I can't stand Fred Armisen.  I find him catatonically unfunny.   To me he is like the Anti-Kate Mckinnon.  For Kate, all she literally needs to do is appear on screen and I start to laugh.  I find her immediately hysterical.  But with Fred, he could do the best bits of every A-list comedian in the history of comedy as if it were his own material and I was hearing it for the first time and I would not even crack a smirk.

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I just realized I can't stand Fred Armisen.  I find him catatonically unfunny.   To me he is like the Anti-Kate Mckinnon.  For Kate, all she literally needs to do is appear on screen and I start to laugh.  I find her immediately hysterical.  But with Fred, he could do the best bits of every A-list comedian in the history of comedy as if it were his own material and I was hearing it for the first time and I would not even crack a smirk.

Me  too. I should have added him to my list. "-)

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I think he can be really funny on Documentary Now!, kind of funny on Portlandia, and not the least bit funny on SNL. I think more than anything with him is that his unbelievable douchebaggery shines through most of his characters. He admits that he's a terrible husband and boyfriend and that he's a douchebag. Unfortunately, he's not a decent enough actor to hide that.

• Love 4

I thought Fred Armisen was funny doing his Prince impressions on SNL, but that's about it.  I hated his Obama impressions and I was so glad when he was replaced.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
On 3/16/2017 at 4:49 AM, BabyVegas said:

I don't care if he is the nicest guy on the planet Earth who spends all his free time rescuing kittens out of trees, I cannot stand Kevin O'Leary from Shark Tank. He's unnecessarily rude, condescending, and smug. I hate that he "forbids" other Sharks from offering investments, as if he's the man in charge. Realistically, I know he's probably playing the Simon Cowell-type character, but at some point acting enough like an asshole makes a person functionally no different than being an asshole. I swear he is living proof that the "Canadians are nice" stereotype is BS. Honestly, it kind of makes me sad that he was in any way involved in some of my favorite childhood computer games. 

He is now selling his wine on QVC and yes, he does come off as pretty smug and annyoing during the presantations.  Not crazy about him, but I can tolerate him in small doses. It is his fellow Shark, Mark Cuban that I cannot stand.  Mark Cuban is an arrogant, loud mouthed jerk.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I thought Fred Armisen was funny doing his Prince impressions on SNL, but that's about it.  I hated his Obama impressions and I was so glad when he was replaced.

I think Prince was the only funny thing he did on SNL.

SNL was the first place I ever saw him, and I didn't like him.  Then I saw him do some standup live (he was opening for someone I actually wanted to see), and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked him.  And then I started seeing him act in other stuff and went back to disliking him.  My conclusion is that he's funny as a standup comedian but unfunny to annoying as an actor.

• Love 3

Tyra Banks, Nigel from SYTYCD, Bill Maher.

I don't know if Tyra is still how she was back when I was able to stand watching ANTM more than 10 years ago, but she is absolutely unhinged. I don't know how nobody has stepped in to intervene or maybe get her some desperately needed help. She's abusive and ignorant.  

• Love 6

I don't know this actor's name or the character's name because I don't watch the show--NCIS: Los Angeles? Linda Hunt is in it. I just catch a few minutes of it while flipping channels. Anyway, this guy has sort of blond hair but really all I see is enormous nostrils. I mean, they're like caves. Yeesh. I'm looking away with one hand shielding my face while I scrabble for the remote with the other.

• Love 5

Personally I can't stand any actor or TV personality who talks politics at this point, whether it's a Lena Dunham or a Tim Allen.

No one cares what you famous people think and the only reason anyone knows what you think is because you pretend to be other people for a living. So do your job and only your job like the rest of us who don't have the "Hollywood" mouthpiece to prop us up.

• Love 10

I sometimes like it when celebrities speak out about politics, but I might be alone in that. When I'm not in the mood for whatever reason, they're easy enough to avoid. Different strokes I guess.

Edited by Sara2009
  • Love 13
50 minutes ago, katie9918 said:

Personally I can't stand any actor or TV personality who talks politics at this point, whether it's a Lena Dunham or a Tim Allen.

No one cares what you famous people think and the only reason anyone knows what you think is because you pretend to be other people for a living. So do your job and only your job like the rest of us who don't have the "Hollywood" mouthpiece to prop us up.

“When a thing exists which you really abhor, I wish you would remember a little whether in letting it alone you are minding your own business on principle, or simply because it is comfortable to do so."
- John Galsworthy

“Speak your mind even if your voice shakes. Well-aimed slingshots can topple giants.”
- Maggie Kuhn

“If everyone does one thing, they are likely to do two things, then three things.  Then they are likely to influence friends and family, and that’s how you build a movement.  That’s how change happens.”
- Laurie David

These things don't stop being true when one is a celebrity.  In fact, I think they become more important to remember -- when society hands someone a microphone, they have a responsibility to use that influence.

• Love 23

I was thinking about this the other day.  For me, depends on what is being said and how.  For example: I have a great respect for Mark Ruffalo. The man really seems to have lived his life as an activist and seems very educated on the things that he is vocal about.  I also believe Angelina and Brad are sincere in their humanitarian work.  Etc, etc.

Then there are the ones who seem to be a bit insane, like Clint Eastwood talking to the chair (had his speech been eloquent, I'd have given him a pass even if I disagreed with his stances), or those who seem to only want the publicity.  They bug me. 

Edited to add that I do believe that there are people out there (especially younger ones) who probably wouldn't know much about a topic until they heard their favorite celebrity speak up on it.  Unfortunately, there are also many of them who would take the celebrity's word on it instead of doing further research to see if what was being said was accurate. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 8

Interesting take, Shannon! Yes, while I do think every citizen has the right to express their POV  and if they want to help others by expressing it and getting otherwise disinterested folks to at least start thinking about issues(e.g. Michael J. Fox helping others be aware of Parkinson's) , that's perfectly good.

However; I very much dislike to the point of refusing to further patronize celebs who viciously attack  and villify even  slight divergences from their own POVs. Yes, Mr. Eastwood as well as Roseanne Barr of late have done that to me (as per her Twitter but one may need asbestos glasses to read it ). 

• Love 6

Danny DeVito. "CBS Sunday Morning" did a story on him, and he seems like a nice man, but I've hated him in every single role I've seen him in (with the exception of the Penguin in one of the "Batman" movies). I hated Louie in "Taxi," and I was going to watch "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" when they added him to the cast, so I didn't bother. 

• Love 1

I've always liked him, not a whole bunch, but now that I hear he's separated again from Rhea Perlman, and it might be that he cheated, I'm kind of ticked at him. Besides, who would cheat with Danny DeVito???

• Love 13

Jeremy Davies. I loathed him on Lost years ago and on Sleepy Hollow this past season. I also can't stand Jeremy Piven...maybe it's just the name...but, no, I don't mind Jeremy Irons too m

On 3/31/2017 at 7:55 AM, cpcathy said:

I've always liked him, not a whole bunch, but now that I hear he's separated again from Rhea Perlman, and it might be that he cheated, I'm kind of ticked at him. Besides, who would cheat with Danny DeVito???

I think the problem is alcohol for Danny.  Some things over the past years seem to point that way. 

• Love 1
On 3/20/2017 at 10:17 PM, Bastet said:

These things don't stop being true when one is a celebrity.  In fact, I think they become more important to remember -- when society hands someone a microphone, they have a responsibility to use that influence.

But being a celebrity doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. Celebrities have way more access to their opinions being heard, & it's not always a good thing. Think how many people Jenny McCarthy convinced that vaccinations cause autism even though scientific evidence says it isn't true. If she wasn't a celebrity, nobody would have listened to her. I don't think that just because someone is famous they should be able to influence people more than non famous people.

• Love 10
On 3/19/2017 at 2:37 PM, Ohwell said:

Somehow Tyra Banks got the hosting gig on America's Got Talent.  Sadly, it'll make it harder for me to watch the show.

Yes, me too.  On the bright side she won't do the antics Nick did on stage or mugging in the wings.  I like him but not particularly on this show.  He was frantic and distracting at times.  

Add me to the NOprah list.  She's bugged for decades, and I've never watched a single episode of her show.  But you somehow can't avoid her.

Remember her confrontation with Hermes in Paris over being let in after hours?  It's Paris.  You're a guest in their country, O.  They don't give a rat's patootie who you are, or who you think you are.

Team Hermes.  Team France.

• Love 10
48 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Remember her confrontation with Hermes in Paris over being let in after hours?  It's Paris.  You're a guest in their country, O.  They don't give a rat's patootie who you are, or who you think you are.

Also wasn't there an incident where the store clerk didn't want to show Oprah an expensive handbag because she didn't recognize Oprah, and thought she was a nobody who couldn't afford it?  I think that was Switzerland.   

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Also wasn't there an incident where the store clerk didn't want to show Oprah an expensive handbag because she didn't recognize Oprah, and thought she was a nobody who couldn't afford it?  I think that was Switzerland.   

I am no fan of Oprah's and remember the crap she pulled at Hermes (she was wrong for that), but I think if the above happened to her the store clerk was being shitty. 

• Love 9
Just now, Enigma X said:

I am no fan of Oprah's and remember the crap she pulled at Hermes (she was wrong for that), but I think if the above happened to her the store clerk was being shitty. 

Oh I agree that the store clerk was being shitty, but I just mentioned that as another store incident.  

• Love 1
On 3/30/2017 at 4:57 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Danny DeVito. "CBS Sunday Morning" did a story on him, and he seems like a nice man, but I've hated him in every single role I've seen him in (with the exception of the Penguin in one of the "Batman" movies). I hated Louie in "Taxi," and I was going to watch "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" when they added him to the cast, so I didn't bother. 

I was indiffferent to DeVito until he appeared in that stupid commercial with smug George Clooney selling the super dooper special coffee machine. 

On 4/2/2017 at 5:43 PM, Ohwell said:

Oh I agree that the store clerk was being shitty, but I just mentioned that as another store incident.  

I thought there was some sort of event at the store and no one was allowed in?

47 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I thought there was some sort of event at the store and no one was allowed in?

Are you referring to the incident in Paris?  I was referring to the incident in Switzerland, where the store clerk didn't want to show her the expensive handbag.. 

(edited)

I really do detest Greta van Sustern.  I never watched her on FAUX Noise, but just that's where she was the queen of prime time on that particular network, I was already biased against her before I had even watched a second of her on MSNBC.  Boy, was I right to pre-loathe her before I ever saw/listened to her.  She apparently thinks she's still the queen of prime time even though her show is barely even in prime time for three time zones.  

She talked-over/interrupted constantly, with Nicole Wallace and with Neera Tanden, who both seemed to think Greta was full of shit.  Nicole came back at her with "I worked in the White House.  I know what a bad policymaking shop looks like."  Oh, snap.  Good on you, Nicole.  Neera came back "That's not true!" at Greta when Greta asserted that Obama didn't consult the Rethuglicans about who they wanted to replace Scalia,  It damn well isn't true.  Stephanie Ruhl did a lousy job keeping Greta in check, too.  

Edited by navelgazer
  • Love 6
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:11 PM, ennui said:

I haven't liked him since he claimed he had sex on Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland. Who does that?

That is the first I have heard of that.  Considering the number of children running around at Disneyland, I find that truly heinous.

• Love 1