Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

fishcakes,

To be fair, the ONLY offspring of Ryan O'Neal who managed to make it to adulthood without major publicly known dysfunction  was his son Patrick by his 2nd wife Leigh Taylor-Young, the latter who did her best to raise the child away from his father. Moreoever  Griffin and Tatum had already had a good part of their dies cast by the time Miss Fawcett came into the picture. Oh, and she did try to protect her own son Redmond but it seems wasn't able to keep him away from the O'Neal patriarch's circle. It would make a chilling Twilight Zone episode to consider how different (and likely better) Redmond's life would have been had Farrah succeeded in getting  and keeping him away from Ryan from infancy onward- to say nothing of how the evident victims of Redmond may have been spared. 

I respect your call re disliking Miss Fawcett (and if it had been HER idea to throw  the teen Griffin and Tatum to the wolves upon her arrival, I'd agree she would have needed to have been called on it but given her longtime companion's history, I tend to believe it was HIS decision).  I just think Ryan's own history needs to be considered here. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Blergh said:

fishcakes,

To be fair, the ONLY offspring of Ryan O'Neal who managed to make it to adulthood without major publicly known dysfunction  was his son Patrick by his 2nd wife Leigh Taylor-Young, the latter who did her best to raise the child away from his father. Moreoever  Griffin and Tatum had already had a good part of their dies cast by the time Miss Fawcett came into the picture. Oh, and she did try to protect her own son Redmond but it seems wasn't able to keep him away from the O'Neal patriarch's circle. It would make a chilling Twilight Zone episode to consider how different (and likely better) Redmond's life would have been had Farrah succeeded in getting  and keeping him away from Ryan from infancy onward- to say nothing of how the evident victims of Redmond may have been spared. 

I respect your call re disliking Miss Fawcett (and if it had been HER idea to throw  the teen Griffin and Tatum to the wolves upon her arrival, I'd agree she would have needed to have been called on it but given her longtime companion's history, I tend to believe it was HIS decision).  I just think Ryan's own history needs to be considered here. 

I don't follow much in regards to celebrities lives, but I will say that just in general, if a significant other wants to throw out, or not be bothered, with the kids, the ultimate responsibility of that rests on the parent.  You have to put your kids first.

I have no idea what happened with Redmond, (I barely know he exists), but if what you say is accurate, FF still bears a lot of the responsibility, because she chose to have a child with Ryan.

• Love 6
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't follow much in regards to celebrities lives, but I will say that just in general, if a significant other wants to throw out, or not be bothered, with the kids, the ultimate responsibility of that rests on the parent.  You have to put your kids first.

I have no idea what happened with Redmond, (I barely know he exists), but if what you say is accurate, FF still bears a lot of the responsibility, because she chose to have a child with Ryan.

As much as I hate to do that, I have to agree with you re Miss Fawcett seeming to  have thought  more about beating the bio clock than having actually  her companion's parental track record re having a child with him. 

I also agree with you re it having been Mr. O'Neal's responsibility having failed to put his kids first but that IS without a struggle on my part. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Yeah I mean it’s iconic so it was in circulation for a long time but it came out in 1976 when the oldest Gen-Xer was 11. I am later Gen X and only know it exists because it’s was on the wall in tvs or movies no one in my peer group had a poster of her.

Mine did, and we all wanted her hairstyle, too.  (I am one of those oldest Gen-Xers, ftr.)

• Love 2
On 5/23/2019 at 3:10 PM, cpcathy said:

Farrah does seem to get the halo-effect, people feel nostalgia for her. Didn't all teen boys of the era have the poster (if they were allowed to?) She's no great actress, and she gets too much credit for acting in a serious movie The Burning Bed, and now for some reason, she's a saint. Big shrug over here.

She is before my time. I do think she was a pretty woman with the most beautiful speaking voice. The few interviews I’ve seen of her, she seems like a sweet and gentle person, but I don’t know much about her personal life or her as an actress. I always assumed Charlie’s Angels must have been huge for her to become so iconic. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Lol to each his own! 

I have to admit that it was intriguing to hear her speak in her earlier work where her Texan accent was still quite pronounced but, by the time Charlie's Angels debuted, then-then Ms. Fawcett-Majors accent had become somewhat 'Californized' (not unlike Carol Burnett's) whereas her then-husband Lee Majors has kept his Kentucky accent all these decades!  Still, there were times when she was with other Texans (e.g. her parents) or when she was caught off-guard that the Texan would re-emerge. 

I guess this as good a place to mention that he would admit that his long work absences and her skyrocketting fame contributed to their union's demise and things ended after he decided to trust his then-friend Ryan O'Neal to keep her company.  Still Mr. Majors DID have one last talk with her before she died in which they made their peace with each other so at least she had in the end. 

• Love 3
On 3/10/2019 at 3:02 PM, CaffeinatedAunt79 said:

I am with you on this.  We have some seriously bad weather folks in my city and since we have like 8 months of winter many of the local newscasts are nothing but weather hysteria.

In the same vein...there is an announcer for one of the sports teams here that I cannot stand.  He is a local legend, has been with the team forever and has a very distinct voice which many love but I cannot stand.  Seriously, if I listen for more than a few minutes, I start to get a bit anxious.

Are you from Cleveland?

Plenty of people have mentioned Jimmy Fallon, but to me his announcer/sidekick Higgins is much, much more annoying. Constantly interrupting the monologue/thank you notes with his annoying noises - ugh. Plus, he adds absolutely nothing to the show.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

I have to admit that it was intriguing to hear her speak in her earlier work where her Texan accent was still quite pronounced but, by the time Charlie's Angels debuted, then-then Ms. Fawcett-Majors accent had become somewhat 'Californized' (not unlike Carol Burnett's) whereas her then-husband Lee Majors has kept his Kentucky accent all these decades! 

How did Lee Majors get a Kentucky accent (him being originally from Wyandotte, MI [born there in 1939])?

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

How did Lee Majors get a Kentucky accent (him being originally from Wyandotte, MI [born there in 1939])?

He was born in Michigan, but he grew up in Middleboro, KY.

• Useful 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Are you from Cleveland?

I am.  Which sports caster might you be referring to.  I hope not Jim Donovan.  We love him, tho we rarely get to hear him anymore since moving 10 yrs ago.

Speaking of disliking local legends.  I cannot stand Dick Goddard.  He’s an ass.  When my mother had surgery maybe 20 yrs ago, her roommate was his young girlfriend.  He came to visit her once while my mother was there and he treated the girlfriend like dirt.  He was also very rude to my mother.    He lived in the development behind our house at the time (Settler’s Landing in Westlake) and he was a terrible neighbor as well, constantly yelling at kids if they were playing too loudly, complaining that we were riding bikes in the street, complained abt the neighbor who had a pool that water was being splashed into his yard, and scowling all the time.  Not to mention refusing to retire when he was clearly past his prime.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2
(edited)
44 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I am.  Which sports caster might you be referring to.  I hope not Jim Donovan.  We love him, tho we rarely get to hear him anymore since moving 10 yrs ago.

Better not be Tom Hamilton either.  Dick Goddard has done a lot for animal shelters and such but I have heard he's not such a nice guy. 

Here in Cleveland, I hate virtually all the weathercasters if only because anytime there is anything resembling a storm that maybe might come within 75 miles of us' they interrupt programming to incessantly yammer for hours on end saying a whole lot of nothing and pointing out every village, goat crossing and henhouse that could perhaps be affected.  Betsy Kling on WKYC has this stupid phrase she uses constantly during these marathons as the storm passes by and whenever she says, 'OK, Podunk. you're "severe clear", I want to do something severe to her.  What an idiotic catchphrase!

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Better not be Tom Hamilton either.  Dick Goddard has done a lot for animal shelters and such but I have heard he's not such a nice guy. 

Here in Cleveland, I hate virtually all the weathercasters if only because anytime there is anything resembling a storm that maybe might come within 75 miles of us' they interrupt programming to incessantly yammer for hours on end saying a whole lot of nothing and pointing out every village, goat crossing and henhouse that could perhaps be affected.  Betsy Kling on WKYC has this stupid phrase she uses constantly during these marathons as the storm passes by and whenever she says, 'OK, Podunk. you're "severe clear", I want to do something severe to her.  What an idiotic catchphrase!

Oh yeah, not Tom either.  Forecasters have ALWAYS done that in CLE since I was little.  ABC used to be the worst, but I’m not sure anymore since we only watch CLE news when visiting and we will never go back home in winter unless there’s a funeral.

• Love 1

Yes, another Clevelander here - and I love "Hammy"!! Even though the Indians are currently giving me heartburn, it's always a pleasure to listen to Tom Hamilton.

It's just too bad that the brain trust at WTAM 1100 AM (which broadcasts the Indians and Cavs games) decided to give Geraldo Rivera of all people a daily radio show. Yes, Geraldo (unfortunately) lives in the Cleveland area now - full-time!! I believe he resides in Shaker Heights, along with his current wife (who is a Cleveland native). 

Unfortunately, listeners are subjected to the stupid ads for his stupid show (which I have never listened to and will never listen to) during commercial breaks for the Indians games and other local programming. Why can't we vote him off like he was on Dancing With the Stars??? (Not surprisingly, he was the first to get the heave-ho!!!)

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

It's just too bad that the brain trust at WTAM 1100 AM (which broadcasts the Indians and Cavs games) decided to give Geraldo Rivera of all people a daily radio show. Yes, Geraldo (unfortunately) lives in the Cleveland area now - full-time!! 

Ugh. I'm sorry. 

• Love 4
Just now, Annber03 said:

Ugh. I'm sorry. 

Thanks. It's like that quote in Casablanca - of all the gin joints in the world, he happens to walk into ours!!! (For the record, no one I know of here listens to "Geraldo in Cleveland". If I happen to be in my car driving along on a weekday between 9 and 10 AM, the radio is not tuned to it!!)

• Love 4
On 6/2/2019 at 7:33 PM, Enigma X said:

Jon Hamm. Every thing I have seen him in leads me to believe that he has the right last name.

I'm not criticizing your opinion, but what makes John's Hammishness worse than, say, Adam Sandler, Robin Williams, Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, or Dax Shepard?  (Or other actors I can't think of right now). 

Or do you find them annoying, too? LOL

18 minutes ago, topanga said:

I'm not criticizing your opinion, but what makes John's Hammishness worse than, say, Adam Sandler, Robin Williams, Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, or Dax Shepard?  (Or other actors I can't think of right now). 

I am not a fan of any of their acting styles. So they all are on my craptastic list. I did, however, think Williams was a nice guy but a frenetic and hammy actor.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

James Corden  

I know he has funny bits on his show with celebrities, but I cannot stand him.  Also, there are some people whose British accents do not bother me at all.  Then there are others who, when they speak, make me crazy and want to gnaw off my left foot.  James Corden fits in the latter category.  

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Ohwell said:

James Corden  

I know he has funny bits on his show with celebrities, but I cannot stand him.  Also, there are some people whose British accents do not bother me at all.  Then there are others who, when they speak, make me crazy and want to gnaw off my left foot.  James Corden fits in the latter category.  

I felt like this, initially.  Then I started watching “Carpool Kareocke (sp?).  And I was pleasantly surprised.  I saw him on a few more things, and now my impression has changed.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Ohwell said:

James Corden  

He's on the Gordon Ramsay end of the spectrum, AFIAC.  No doubt folks on the other side of the Pond have THEIR opinions re those of us they like and dislike whose accents either charm or annoy! 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

I felt like this, initially.  Then I started watching “Carpool Kareocke (sp?).  And I was pleasantly surprised.  I saw him on a few more things, and now my impression has changed.

I've seen that show but it's the celebrities I'm interested in--not him.  It's nice that your impression has changed, but mine hasn't.

7 minutes ago, Blergh said:

No doubt folks on the other side of the Pond have THEIR opinions re those of us they like and dislike whose accents either charm or annoy! 

Yup!

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
On 6/17/2019 at 1:22 PM, topanga said:

You weren't asking me, but other than maybe Dwayne Johnson, no one is trying to convince me that those other guys are suave and debonair and handsome. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

All the sidekicks on American late night talk shows.  They just tell me the hosts aren't good enough to hold up a show on their own, whether that's true or not.

Ashton Kutcher

Oprah

Nancy Fuller (from cooking shows)

Terry Gross (radio, sorry, but I had to mention her)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Brookside said:

All the sidekicks on American late night talk shows.  They just tell me the hosts aren't good enough to hold up a show on their own, whether that's true or not.

Ashton Kutcher

Oprah

Nancy Fuller (from cooking shows)

Terry Gross (radio, sorry, but I had to mention her)

So Johnny Carson wasn’t good enough to hold a show up on his own?

Or Dave Letterman?

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, roamyn said:

So Johnny Carson wasn’t good enough to hold a show up on his own?

Or Dave Letterman?

That's my point - Carson and many others could/can hold a show up on their own, but, to me, having a vacuous "yes man" suggests they can't.

Letterman, on the other hand, is an egotistical dick.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

That's my point - Carson and many others could/can hold a show up on their own, but, to me, having a vacuous "yes man" suggests they can't.

Letterman, on the other hand, is an egotistical dick.

Oh I agree abt Letterman, but I can’t deny his influence on pop culture.

• Love 3
On 6/22/2019 at 10:08 AM, Brookside said:

Today the band leaders serve that function. I don’t know if they mind, but can’t they focus on their music  instead of being forced to laugh at the host’s sometimes corny jokes? 

• Love 3
(edited)

I'll do my derndest best to avoid stating anything vaguely political here but these last few days have done nothing but solidify my intense dislike of one Laura Ingraham .  I'll let everyone reading this do their own click-research to see WHY . At least I've NEVER seen her 'show' so I have the satisfaction of knowing that I didn't generate a scintilla of any kind of rating point for her! Just a very hearty BOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Blergh
my for me
  • Love 12

While she's no longer white-hot famous, I guess news of that scandal re the Malaysian official paying ill-gotten funds to get  access to her brought to mind someone who's annoyed me from Day One: Paris Hilton.

The most positive things I can say about her is that she is outwardly pretty and her paternal half-great-aunt (Francesca Hilton) was the niece of Eva Gabor. I mean, it's rather sad when the nearest known  likable relative of someone is that distantly related! 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Awkwafina.  I don't find her funny at all.

I don't like the extra raunchy stuff of her act, but I do find her funny overall( and IMO her comic yet sincere character's part was a sorely needed counterpart to all the angst and soapy twists of Crazy Rich Asians) .

I'm interested in seeing her in The Farewell

• Love 5

Awkwafina's line in Ocean's 8 where she asks Sandra Bullock for a metro card because she has to skateboard in from Queens every day cracked me up for days after I heard it. 

• Love 5

Cara Delevingne - it's not so much that I can't stand her as it is that I don't understand why she has an acting career since she can't act and isn't attractive.  I mean, Orlando Bloom can't act, but he is at least pretty.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Cara Delevingne - it's not so much that I can't stand her as it is that I don't understand why she has an acting career since she can't act and isn't attractive.  I mean, Orlando Bloom can't act, but he is at least pretty.

I disagree on both counts. She may not be the best looking, or the best acting, but she's not the ugliest or worst either.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Her eyebrows frighten me.

• Love 13
24 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Jason Dohring. Which put me way in the minority of enjoying the VM revival. 

I find his appeal so perplexing! I have a friend who is obsessed to the point that she still doesn’t like Kristen Bell all these years later because she correctly pointed out that Logan and Veronica’s relationship was fucked up.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4