Type keyword(s) to search

Book 2: The Magician King

There is already a general thread to discuss the books vs. the show, but people can discuss all three books there. This thread is intended for discussing the second book in the series (no discussion of the third book here!). You can safely discuss the second book in this thread without worrying about spoilers from the third book. You may also discuss events from the first book as they pertain to events in the second book in this thread, but if your comments are primarily about the first book then please consider posting in the thread for Book 1: The Magicians.

I finished reading this one about a week ago but I really needed to sit with it a while before commenting on it here. On one hand, I felt like this one had way too much pointless filler. On the other hand, we finally got Julia's story and it was devastating! Im really getting irritated with the tv show tbh, especially regarding Julia's story and even the story of hedge witches because those people go through hell in order to practice even the tiniest bits of magic. Julia though, she damn near lost her mind, basically lost her family and ultimately lost her humanity. I just thought her story was incredible.

Quinton though....continued to be a selfish ass most of the time. The times he wasnt selfish, well those times really mattered. I thought it was great he willingly gave up everything in order for Julia to have it all....but exactly one minute later, when he realized what EXACTLY he had given up....he immediately went all "woe is me" again. So I havent started the third book yet but Im speculating that the watch Eliot gave Quinton will function the same as the original rewinder in the first book, Quinton will use it to start the entire sequence over BUT this time Julia will go to Brakebills instead of Quinton and in the end, Quinton will understand Julia should have been there from the beginning. Regardless, whatever really happens, I just want Alice back!