Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Season of the Witch

8 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

I'm sure it has a more innocent spelling like Dwayne Reed. But what parent would do that to a kid on nyc??

I thought this was a bit of a stretch. The guy just magically has the same name as the store in the background of that shot? Come on! That was such a desperate contrivance.

I did like the reveal about Naz using adderall. I buy the first episode more now that we learn Naz doesn't always do the "right" thing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Superpole2000 said:

The guy just magically has the same name as the store in the background of that shot? Come on!

Background info from a New Yorker: there are something like 150 Duane Reades in Manhattan (which is less than 23 square miles.)

They are seriously everywhere.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, Neurochick said:

One question I have, I don't know what anger "issues" mean.  Anger is a normal emotion.  Does having anger "issues" mean that someone just loses their temper at times?  Not being snarky, just asking.

Whoever killed Andrea clearly has anger issues. (How many times was she stabbed?) I don't know the clinical definition but it's basically when you have deep resentment and/or can't control your emotions; the inability to reason when angry; likely to overreact; quick to take offense and lash out; projecting anger onto innocents. Denying yourself an outlet for your emotions creates an issue, as swallowing anger for an extended period can lead to a violent outburst. I wonder if Naz was physically attacked by bigots after 9/11 and has been quietly seething ever since. He looked ready to throw down after the "bomb" comment like it was the last straw of an ongoing situation.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 3

I still don't buy that the knife Naz had on him was the murder weapon, so it is frustrating me that nothing else has been mentioned about it. Aside from a little blood on it, which could've been from when Naz handled it, it was pretty clean to have been used in such a brutal murder AND it was back in the exact spot Naz and Andrea left it when they went upstairs. 

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the crime scene investigator Stone hired. He found blood outside and he also noticed that the back gate didn't shut all the way. He also took a picture inside the drawer by Andrea's bar. Looked like there was syringes in there but I could've been seeing things. 
And that picture he took from the stairs...what was that all about? It was a curious angle, so maybe I was missing something in the shot. 

I don't think Naz has anger issues but is putting on more of an act inside the prison walls. Asserting himself because he is smart enough to know now what he needs to do to survive. The Adderall is an interesting, albeit depressing, addition to the story. In the preview for next week, Freddy asked if he liked his life outside the walls of Rikers. Naz said something along the lines of "What life?". I wonder if Freddy is going to try and use his voodoo to convince Naz that life under his thumb wouldn't be so bad. Inside, he can be "somebody". Ugh. 
This show thrills and depresses me each week. I am glad it's only 8 episodes because I really don't think I could handle season after season of this. Too tense, too frustrating and too depressing. 

• Love 8

The way I see it is this: Naz probably started taking Adderal as a way to stay awake for long hours studying. He probably had convinced himself that he wasn't taking it as a recreational drug, which would be against his religion, but almost as a medicine, helping him get the good grades his parents expect. The thing is, once you start lying to yourself, it's really easy to continue. Like he wasn't stealing his father's cab, but borrowing it. He wasn't going to drink or use drugs at that party, but rather just hang out with the more popular crowd for a change.

If I recall, Naz wasn't even a virgin. Didn't he say, at one point, "I've only done this once before," to the girl? And he really didn't take much convincing to a. let the girl stay in his cab, b. take her home, c. let her give him drugs and alcohol and d. have sex with her. He really wasn't the pure Muslim boy his doe eyes would suggest. Of course that just makes him a normal college kid, struggling with his faith and moral issues like most kids his age. It certainly doesn't make him a murderer. 

And now that he's shaved his head and looks more like a Lifer than a kid awaiting trial, even his doe eyes aren't working for him. 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, The Hound Lives said:

I still don't buy that the knife Naz had on him was the murder weapon, so it is frustrating me that nothing else has been mentioned about it. Aside from a little blood on it, which could've been from when Naz handled it, it was pretty clean to have been used in such a brutal murder AND it was back in the exact spot Naz and Andrea left it when they went upstairs. 

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the crime scene investigator Stone hired. He found blood outside and he also noticed that the back gate didn't shut all the way. He also took a picture inside the drawer by Andrea's bar. Looked like there was syringes in there but I could've been seeing things. 
And that picture he took from the stairs...what was that all about? It was a curious angle, so maybe I was missing something in the shot. 

I don't think that the lime knife is the murder weapon either (the lack of reference to it is frustrating). That would mean that the murderer stabbed Andrea a zillion times and then carefully placed the knife back on the table with the limes, tequila, etc. Really?! Presumably, they are not able to prove that it isn't the murder weapon and, since no other possibility has emerged, the lime knife is still in play. However, it may get kicked out as evidence due to the chain of custody issue mentioned in Episode 1 or 2.

As far as the PI that Stone hired, I thought that he discovered a few things: there was blood on the lock/knob to the back gate and the gate didn't close properly. If you are referring to the photo from the stairs into the kitchen, I think it indicates that, from a certain angle, the killer could have entered and headed upstairs without noticing Naz. IMO, there is a reason why we saw Andrea putting the cat outside. I think that we are supposed to focus on that door. Since it doesn't close securely, it provides opportunity for someone else to have entered, gone upstairs and committed the crime. 

• Love 5

I'm curious why Naz transferred schools. There might be a story behind that. The ME sounds like he'll go along with the prosecutor's story that the knife slipped when he was stabbing her resulting in the gash on his hand. Wasn't that Q from Star Trek playing the medical examiner?

I wonder what the actor playing Naz did to bulk up so much?  I was surprised he as able to transform that skinny body into a power machine.  I was impressed!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I'm curious why Naz transferred schools. There might be a story behind that.

Well, it seems to be positioned as something the prosecution is looking into. If Helen (DA) is positioning the video of Andrea getting into the car as "lying in wait", whatever it is she will probably use as more proof that he isn't a "good boy". 
I am speculating, yet again, that it will be something along the lines of (don't know if I need it but will spoiler tag) 

Spoiler

stalking a fellow student, maybe the one girl he had sex with, or harassment of that same girl. Ugh. 

Things just aren't looking good for this gorgeous boy. After it all the things shown up to this point, I am still rooting for him. This can, and looks like will, change. 

• Love 2

This is just a nitpick, but it's  hard for me to imagine that a professional pharmacist would yell out the name of a patient's prescription within easy earshot of another customer. I didn't  find that funny at all.

It also seemed to me that the repeated Dead Penis closeups were being played for laughs, and I found them decidedly un-cute. I guess the female  prosecutor would know this for sure, but didn't the male coroner's "Um, just lay the photo right THERE" ploy seem like a classic Hostile Workplace suit waiting to happen?

Edited by Portia
  • Love 7

The young female lawyer is nice and all, but so far, she's not a doing a darn thing. Stone doesn't even need her -- he's doing everything. I'm hoping at some point, she does her own investigating. It doesn't have to be about drugs, which she obviously knows nothing about, but perhaps she can be the one to notice the open back door or the knife wounds not matching the knife Naz was found with, just something to earn her paycheque.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Portia said:

This is just a nitpick, but it's  hard for me to imagine that a professional pharmacist would yell out the name of a patient's prescription within easy earshot of another customer. I didn't  find that funny at all.

It also seemed to me that the repeated Dead Penis closeups were being played for laughs, and I found them decidedly un-cute. I guess the female  prosecutor would know this for sure, but didn't the male coroner's "Um, just lay the photo right THERE" ploy seem like a classic Hostile Workplace suit waiting to happen?

Yes to both. Although I keep forgetting to point out that the pharmacist is Fisher Stevens.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 3

I'm a bit confused as to the arrangement Chandra proposed to Stone. First she says, "Allison has instructed that no resources of the firm are to be spent on this case." But Chandra herself is a resource of the firm. Her hours would normally be billable (and not cheap, even though she's an associate and not a partner). So every hour Chandra spends with Stone is the substantial spending of a resource of the firm. Then on top of this she's authorized to spend $30K of the firm's money on Stone's legal fees. So how does any of that square with Allison's directive?

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I'm a bit confused as to the arrangement Chandra proposed to Stone. First she says, "Allison has instructed that no resources of the firm are to be spent on this case." But Chandra herself is a resource of the firm. Her hours would normally be billable (and not cheap, even though she's an associate and not a partner). So every hour Chandra spends with Stone is the substantial spending of a resource of the firm. Then on top of this she's authorized to spend $30K of the firm's money on Stone's legal fees. So how does any of that square with Allison's directive?

i'm guessing they will just bill Nas' parents the full amount including Stone's 30K.

it looks like this episode served two purposes:

1. there could be another murder suspect

2. nas does have the temperament to be extremely violent

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, djsunyc said:

i'm guessing they will just bill Nas' parents the full amount including Stone's 30K.

So then, the conversation was about Stone saying to Chandra, "Fine, bill Nas's parents $250K, or whatever your outrageous bill (that they can't pay) is going to be, but if you want me to work on this, I need $30K from you guaranteed, which you can then include in your bill to the parents." That makes sense.

In which case, the thing that threw me was Chandra saying, "Allison has declared that no resources of the firm are to be directed to this case." More accurate would have been for her to say, "Allison has declared that no unbillable resources of the firm are to be directed to this case." The absence of that word created my confusion.

The firm probably has a number of other resources that Allison didn't want directed to the case out of spite for Nas' dismissive attitude toward her- P.I.'s, forensic scientists, crime scene investigators or weapons/ballistics experts.  Could explain that weird CSI they had to hire at a flat fee, Chandra had never seen him before and Stone had to find him. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, The Hound Lives said:

Well, it seems to be positioned as something the prosecution is looking into. If Helen (DA) is positioning the video of Andrea getting into the car as "lying in wait", whatever it is she will probably use as more proof that he isn't a "good boy". 

I have serious "issues" with this DA.  She reminds me of an ADA who was prosecuting a case when I was on grand jury in the 1980's.  She was such a witch to the defendent (who was accused of something VERY stupid), to the point of being racist.  (He was a young, black man and she kept saying, "YOU own a business?" over and OVER and over again).  Needless to say we voted not to indict.  I mean lying in wait is a bit of a stretch since it was a cab and the woman got into it. 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I have serious "issues" with this DA.  She reminds me of an ADA who was prosecuting a case when I was on grand jury in the 1980's.  She was such a witch to the defendent (who was accused of something VERY stupid), to the point of being racist.  (He was a young, black man and she kept saying, "YOU own a business?" over and OVER and over again).  Needless to say we voted not to indict.  I mean lying in wait is a bit of a stretch since it was a cab and the woman got into it. 

Do you mean where she kept asking Trevor what he was doing in that part of town and where he was going? I think it was less about what she thought of him personally and more that she was testing how he was going to come across to a jury. When he finally lashed out at the questions, that was when she gave up, because she figured that's how he would react to being questioned on the stand. In other words, he wasn't going to be able to help her case because he was hostile to the process. (Not saying he was wrong to be hostile to the process, but that's outside the scope of her trying to win the case.)

Side note: I said a few weeks ago that it would be way too obvious if it turns out the Duane Reade character did it, but I'm not sure we have any other viable suspects besides Naz at this point. 

Side side note: Last night I asked if anyone could explain the last 20 seconds to me. That post got some likes but no answers. He was wandering around stupidly for a while, and I stopped paying attention because those tension-building scenes just annoy me, and when I looked up he was staring at something and the scene faded to pulsing blue lights. Did I actually miss anything? Thanks in advance. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, kieyra said:

Do you mean where she kept asking Trevor what he was doing in that part of town and where he was going? I think it was less about what she thought of him personally and more that she was testing how he was going to come across to a jury. When he finally lashed out at the questions, that was when she gave up, because she figured that's how he would react to being questioned on the stand. In other words, he wasn't going to be able to help her case. 

She did go on a bit much to Trevor.  If I were on the jury and she kept asking him that over and over again, I'd get annoyed, at her. 

On the case I was on, the ADA was SO obviously trying to get a win that she annoyed everybody on the jury.  This particular case, the cops were so in the wrong, I was surprised anybody thought it was winnable. 

Side side note: Last night I asked if anyone could explain the last 20 seconds to me. That post got some likes but no answers. He was wandering around stupidly for a while, and I stopped paying attention because those tension-building scenes just annoy me, and when I looked up he was staring at something and the scene faded to pulsing blue lights. Did I actually miss anything? Thanks in advance. 

I had the same question, I was expecting something shocking to happen but then, fade out?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

She did go on a bit much to Trevor.  If I were on the jury and she kept asking him that over and over again, I'd get annoyed, at her. 

On the case I was on, the ADA was SO obviously trying to get a win that she annoyed everybody on the jury.  This particular case, the cops were so in the wrong, I was surprised anybody thought it was winnable. 

I think the idea is that the defense would be asking him that over and over on the stand, or otherwise trying to discredit him, and she knew it. After all he's a witness for the prosecution, so she wouldn't be the one trying to undermine him when it came to actual court. 

(Disclaimer: I'm a true crime hobbyist and have followed a fair number of live murder trials, including extremely long ones.) 

I do get what you're saying, but I think the TV show prosecutor is just being shown as pragmatic, not outright evil. Or that's how I'm reading it. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 4

Yes, the ADA was going through the witness list and the evidence to see what would help in court, and what would hurt.  She saw that putting Trevor on the stand would hurt the prosecution's case rather than help it, both because he easily becomes belligerent when questioned and because he's hiding something since he won't even answer the question of where he was going.  The only reason not to answer that question is if you were heading somewhere you shouldn't be...a drug deal, for example.  If he were just strolling home or to the corner deli, he'd have no reason not to answer the question. 

She was essentially doing the same thing with the ME.  She wanted to know whether his testimony would help or hurt their case, and how shaky it was.  It seems like another forensics expert could easily make the case that the cut was from glass and not a knife during stabbing, which throws reasonable doubt on the evidence, despite how certain the ME made it sound when he said it's a stabbing injury the second time he recited what his testimony would be.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Neurochick said:

That scene was silly and felt like it was from some another show, but I still think it's funny the guy's name is Duane Reade.  Those are actually two street names in lower Manhattan.

I thought the scene was far fetched.  I do not think Stone as we have seen him thus far would follow or even run after Reade.  I guess we are supposed to attribute that to taking steroids?  

Also, on the question of how many 8 balls Naz swallowed, I rewatched the scene twice and only see three of them.  What's up, I wonder?  can you fake cocaine poisoning?

• Love 2

When Naz shaved his head all I could think is that he'd finally broken bad. It's so sad to see, especially if he didn't kill that girl. Now he's doing Travis Bickle shtick: "You talkin' to me?" Thing is, if Freddy drops his patronage or Naz can't live up to  his expectations, bets are off for him and he'll probably end up dead. Tragic.

LOL at Stone buying all those cat toys. Cats are like the Borg: You will be assimilated. But what's up with him thinking he's got something to prove to a hooker? That's kinda pathetic.

Ugh, Ray Donovan also had a scene this week of a prisoner shitting out some contraband. This show took it to the next level though. Someone found some unused scripts from Oz?

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, kieyra said:

He nonsensically followed the guy to where he thought he went, in the pitch dark, and then the lights in the building suddenly came on. Credits roll.

That's what I got, same as you. What was he going to do when he found him? Make him confess?Stupid cliffhanger.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Drogo said:

The firm probably has a number of other resources that Allison didn't want directed to the case out of spite for Nas' dismissive attitude toward her- P.I.'s, forensic scientists, crime scene investigators or weapons/ballistics experts.  Could explain that weird CSI they had to hire at a flat fee, Chandra had never seen him before and Stone had to find him. 

Good to know-- I appreciate your expertise. I could have used a touch of explanation of that from Chandra, and then I would have understood Allison's directive better--but on the other hand I hate it when shows bang you over the head with the obvious, and everybody's definition of what's obvious is different. Suffice it to say it wasn't obvious to this (reasonably) intelligent viewer.

I'm loving Jeannie Berlin. One reason is I'm mad for Elaine May, and whenever Jeannie Berlin opens her mouth, Elaine May's voice comes out. But another reason is that she's a good actress who appears in things far too seldom. I'm totally buying her as the DA, and I love how she gets across what she's doing with subtlety. (E.g., she doesn't need to tell Trevor that the reason she's "cross-examining" him and ultimately disposing him from her witness list is that the defense is going to tear him apart; she's telling us that with the minutest of facial gestures and vocal inflections.)

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

how popular were duane reade's in the late 80's?  i don't remember seeing any of them in queens, ny when i was growing up.  

so maybe duane reade wasn't that weird a name back then?

i liked the first episode...but now i want the show to end already.  i just hope there's no ambiguous ending b/c that would be a cop out for a show that should be a one off.  i agree about the chase at the end last night - that was so unbelievable but considering the type of clientele stone has been defending for a while, this type of chase may not have been foreign to him.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, djsunyc said:

how popular were duane reade's in the late 80's?  i don't remember seeing any of them in queens, ny when i was growing up.  

so maybe duane reade wasn't that weird a name back then?

I remember seeing them more during the 90's, in Manhattan, I don't know if they were in Queens then. 

3 hours ago, kieyra said:

I watched it again and came to the conclusion that it wasn't about the tension of the moment. It wasn't that Dwayne Reade was hiding behind the corner, about to jump out any second (I think he was long gone at that point). For me, it brought to a head that this case is a full blown obsession for Stone. John Stone...the Lawyer who will take payment in sexual favors or an IOU...is chasing a man down an alley to try and find out information about a case that, even to him, is a slam dunk for the prosecution. 
Why? He is being paid a flat fee. There aren't any billable hours here. Yet, here he is out at night, scouring possibly seedy neighborhoods to piece together the clues. Stone told Naz in episode 1 that he didn't want to know what happened. He didn't want to hear his "story". Now...this is his sole goal. He wants to know. He has the wits, some maybe less than reputable characters on his payroll or cashing in favors. He isn't relying on what the Tox or ME report says. He isn't going by the police timeline of events. He is taking nuggets given to him in passing (Naz mentioning the second guy walking with Trevor) and running with it because it just doesn't fit together. I have gone back to it a few times, Stone to Box: "He just doesn't feel right for it". I don't think that line is a red herring. Naz isn't the perfect, innocent boy from Queens. Stone knows this and also knows this doesn't mean he is a killer. While the DA fights to find motive (lying in wait), Stone knows he has to fight that, so he is searching for other motives (Andrea's dealer). 
So...long winded, sorry, but that is what the scene represented to me. He is in, in deep and for the long haul. 

1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Chandra is going to learn more by working with Stone than she would with Alison at least. I hope she finds her voice in all of this. I'm pretty sure she'll have a transformation like Naz. 

Absolutely. I think they will all change. Naz obviously and in profound fashion. But this will shape Chandra as she moves on in her career, John as he continues his and Box, as his comes to a close. 

• Love 8
43 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I'm loving Jeannie Berlin. One reason is I'm mad for Elaine May, and whenever Jeannie Berlin opens her mouth, Elaine May's voice comes out. But another reason is that she's a good actress who appears in things far too seldom. I'm totally buying her as the DA, and I love how she gets across what she's doing with subtlety. (E.g., she doesn't need to tell Trevor that the reason she's "cross-examining" him and ultimately disposing him from her witness list is that the defense is going to tear him apart; she's telling us that with the minutest of facial gestures and vocal inflections.)

I also hear Elaine May's voice when I hear Jeannie Berlin. I find her performance very convincing as the prosecutor.

Watching her manipulate the medical examiner, or her reasoning while watching the videotape of Andrea getting into the taxi, that Naz was waiting for a female passenger. It’s so scary how she comes up with stories to show Naz's guilt.

• Love 1

It seems like Box knows there is more to the story but reluctant to consider other possibility for the murder. I was thinking maybe because he's retiring he'd rather just coast. I do hope we see him start to seriously question the evidence though. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Kiss my mutt said:

It seems like Box knows there is more to the story but reluctant to consider other possibility for the murder. I was thinking maybe because he's retiring he'd rather just coast. I do hope we see him start to seriously question the evidence though. 

I hope so too. Box doesn't give much away with his demeanor and his lines are so canned, so rehearsed. I think we are to remember that Box, as John said, is a good cop. He follows protocol just inside the lines. I wonder if, this being the end of his career, that we may see Box go "outside the lines", against everything he has done in his career because he knows that something just doesn't feel right. He is indifferent to Helen's excuse(s) because, as he looks further inside the details of that night, like Stone, it won't add up. 

• Love 1

I can see where if Stone wins this case, that would be the best advertising for his practice, much better than he's doing now with those business cards with his picture.

Otherwise, I guess the way he treats the cat is a sign that he would care about someone like Naz.

Maybe a habitual criminal would be just a number to him but Naz has a different background than his typical clients.

I thought though that someone like him would have to be hustling all the time, trying to get as many clients as he can, so that unless the parents agreed to his fee, he wouldn't be spending much time on the case, yet before Chandra agreed to pay him, he was still on the case.

But since he doesn't seem to have money problems -- he's buying Starbucks for the cops and champagne for hookers -- guess he could spend some time on the case even when not officially engaged.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Chandra is going to learn more by working with Stone than she would with Alison at least. I hope she finds her voice in all of this. I'm pretty sure she'll have a transformation like Naz. 

I agree BUT I don't know if there's time in the remaining three episodes for this transformation to happen in a way that is satisfying for the viewers or without being "rushed." Seems like there's so much other stuff that also has to be covered in those episodes. 

People have mentioned the champagne several times--but didn't that happen after he already knew he was getting his fee up front from the big firm? I took that whole sequence (getting the viagra, cleaning up, trying to have a date with his favorite prostitute) as his little celebration for the check that had either already come in or was coming soon.

• Love 3
On August 8, 2016 at 7:31 PM, kieyra said:

Can anyone explain the last 20 seconds to me?

It was exactly the same as the beginning of the episode.  The blinding UV light that Stone used for his feet.

Could be metaphor for Stone running into the unknown.  He's hopeful his eczema gets healed with the UV light but it's unknown.  The same bright light leads hopefully into solving the crime for Naz (or could lead to disaster).

• Love 3

One thing that's stuck with me is how quickly Naz was to say that he wouldn't be able to keep the 8 balls down.  How did he know how big they'd be? How was he so sure he'd throw them up?  How did he clue in so uquickly what the plan even was? The average college student would've needed a LOT more explanation.  Either they were short cutting for story telling or Naz knows a thing or two about moving drugs around.  Very interesting... 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, hannah8976 said:

One thing that's stuck with me is how quickly Naz was to say that he wouldn't be able to keep the 8 balls down.  How did he know how big they'd be? How was he so sure he'd throw them up?  How did he clue in so uquickly what the plan even was? The average college student would've needed a LOT more explanation.  Either they were short cutting for story telling or Naz knows a thing or two about moving drugs around.  Very interesting... 

Oh...this is very interesting! Great catch! I guess the explanation could be fairly straight forward, we have all seen drug running in movies/shows but it is pretty curious that he didn't ask more questions. I didn't give it much thought at first but that would be an interesting spin if Naz is associated in any way with moving drugs on the outside. He does interact with athletes and not to say all college athletes are doing drugs but I could see Naz being more than just a tutor to his basketball playing "friends". Plus, where would he get the adderall from? 
It could all come full circle if Freddy is associated with that on the outside, not that Naz would necessarily know that. 

• Love 3