Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E11: A New Food Network Star

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Are they actually going to use the word "fleek" in the title of Tregaye's show? That will make it an even dumber title than "Aarti's Party." Really hard to figure out who they're trying to appeal to.

So who is really running Food Network on the editorial side? Maybe the leadership void is why FN Star turned into a complete farce this season, as the show literally seemed to be about keeping Bobby and Giada amused and nothing else.

I have a sneaking suspicion that those two plus Guy Fieri have a major voice in programming. So as the old saying goes, the inmates are running the asylum.

Bolding mine.

I just about quit watching when I saw "Fleeking" in the title of her pilot. I admit I've started using "fleeking" but when I use it the meaning rhymes with "luck".

And what a loser prize. Don't quit your day job.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

now that you say it, they, Mel and Sue, remind me of old school Alton, you used to run around the kitchen butting into the chef's space and asking questions and getting into stuff. And thinking about Paul and Mary's critiques of the bakers (GBBO) compared to Bobby and Giada sitting on their thrones laughing their asses off a the contestant clowns sent to amuse them... I now, really, really want the Brits to take over Food Network. lol

I would love to see Mary Berry's reaction to all Treygaye's popping and fleeking.

I think Mary would watch Tregaye do her s****** shtick, staring thoughtfully, then she might squint, look slightly puzzled, then smile kindly. And then, with her usual warmth and poise, Mary might say, "How fun. I'm sure we'd all be delighted to be 'fleek' too, if we knew what it was. Unhappily, I'm afraid that those words still don't tell us what any of it tastes like, and your corn cake was, I'm afraid, quite dry and tasteless. However, you seem to be having a lovely time, and that's always important. Best of luck."

Edited by paramitch
missing wordage
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, bluepiano said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that those two plus Guy Fieri have a major voice in programming. So as the old saying goes, the inmates are running the asylum.

That's my theory too, at least in regards to the selection of Tregaye.  I didn't see her on GGG, but I do watch that show from time to time.  GGG is big on sob stories from the contestants, Guy always asks "what will you do with $20,000?" It seems like 90% of the time, the contestants are on GGG hoping to win money for their families.  Tregaye mentioned that all the time, that she wanted to win the money for her family.  I think Guy had his thumb on the scale the whole time for her.

I am another one who is turned off by Bobby and Giada's over the top expressions and antics.  They ran me away from watching this show regularly, and I used to like it!

7 minutes ago, Tippi said:

GGG is big on sob stories from the contestants, Guy always asks "what will you do with $20,000?" It seems like 90% of the time, the contestants are on GGG hoping to win money for their families. 

I cannot stand this on reality shows...people need the money or they just want it more so they should win....every recipe has some heart wrenching reason.  I have friends who always want me to send in an application for one of the baking challenge shows...I tell them I don't have heart warming stories....I bake what I like.  I keep threatening to get a stamp to put on treats I give away "Baked with skill and relative indifference".

• Love 9

I would take something baked with skill over something baked with tears over the hardships the baker had to face when they lost their mother/father/spouse/child/home/pet/dignity/favorite plant/pet rock in a flood/fire/to cancer/gambling problem/home invasion/just from sheer stupidity/during a famewhoring binge.

I remember when I used to be mildly impressed by these people. Now I just wonder, if they are so hard up, why did they take an extended leave from a guaranteed real job for a one in however many people this starts with chance at a 6 episode show on a network few people even watch anymore at an hour no one is going to watch.

Ah, the social media/insta-famous generation. I suppose I don't actually exist anymore since I've never been on TV.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, NewDigs said:

I just about quit watching when I saw "Fleeking" in the title of her pilot. I admit I've started using "fleeking" but when I use it the meaning rhymes with "luck".

Right.  So let me  just say you couldn't fleeking PAY me to watch her fleeking show!

• Love 6

Sorry I'm late to the thread, but we didn't sit down to watch the Finale until last night. 

As expected, the fix was in, and Ms Fleekin Poppin Fetchit was the preselected winner. Never mind that of the the three pilots, hers was the blandest and was full of BS throughout. Turkey is OK, but to put a small sliver in your mouth and act like you are having an orgasm is over the top faking it. Plus, the turkey they showed being sliced wasn't even real, whole turkeys, but that processed breast stuff. Her plate of food reminded me of chow hall grub from my service days. All it needed was the powdered eggs. And A Roll!!!! How exciting, a generic parker roll, and she screams with excitement. I agree with the poster who said the jello comment customer was probably stretching in trying to find something to compliment by talking about bland jello. There was not a single thing in her pilot that would encourage me to visit that cafeteria, even if I was on the same block and looking for a place to eat.

Then, to add insult to injury, they had to show her yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh pouring the liquid from last week, which should have sent her packing right then and there, but the hosts acted like it was some sort of epochal moment in TV history. Another example of Flay losing all credibility this year. So Tregaye has two poor presentations in a row, at the end of the competition, and she is crowned the winner. Sorry Flay, you were apparently blinded by Giada's fake smile and her boobs for too long. Maybe you can do a show where the two of you feel each other up like 7th graders on their first date.

Jarrod, with his Love Chef act, actually presented an enjoyable pilot, but apparently his earlier incarnations of Bernard the Over the Top Love Chef, and Kennard the Roly Poly Gymnast Love Chef doomed him. Too bad, because I grew to like Gerard when he wasn't babbling about knocking up women. 

Damiano was still unintelligble throughout his pilot. The combo of speaking at 90mph while effecting a stereotype 70's mafiosi movie accent are not a good mix. I actually found the French chef easier to understand.

This season was a disappointment in every aspect. From bringing in Marteeeeeeeta, to screwing over Yaku when he came back. From presenting a cast of people that basically had no real presence, no mentoring or training, and focusing more on snark than food or TV skills, coupled with two judges who seemed to be more interested in each other than the show. It was a disaster.

The only saving grace is there is no show for the winner, just a magazine spread, a booth at a food fest, and the occasional spot as a guest judge on TWENN TEE  THOU  SAND DOLLARS  Fee Etty's GGG, next to the other hack Melissa, and her bug eyed over the top commenting.

This show is a good representation of how far FN has fallen since it's heyday.

• Love 11

Not sure I can survive another season of this show.  Not much point to it when you know the winner from episode two.  I thought Damiano and Jennard had the best pilots overall.  Cliftons is a Los Angeles legend but it was so odd to send Tregaye there to eat turkey, talk about a big tree and talk very little about food.  Extremely  strange.

The Great British Bake Off is so far above this drivel it doesn't even deserve to be tainted by a mention in the same forum. Although I would watch the crap out of a show hosted by Nadiya, Tamal, or Mat. Or Sue and Mel, frankly. I love that show so much (everyone watch! even if you don't bake!! It's just lovely!).

I so agree with this.  I'm not a baker but am captivated by GBBO.  I'm spoiled for this season but it hardly matters because the competition is so good and Paul and Mary are the best judges in the known world.  Yes, everyone watch!!  If FN tried to do their own version of this, they'd turn it into a clown show.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 6
33 minutes ago, limecoke said:

If FN tried to do their own version of this, (GBBO)

That is the most horrifying thing I have ever read! FN needs to stay as far away from the beauty and wonder that is GBBO as possible.

• Love 7

It would never work. The GBBO finds NICE people and keeps the drama confined to the stressed faces of the contestants (Nadiya is quite the facial contortionist). No producer-induced smack talk about fellow contestants, no bait and switch eliminations. 

FN wouldn't know what to do with such a model. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 10
On August 2, 2016 at 9:33 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I found it. (S1E02) Sunday morning at 7:30am on Cooking Channel. It's a travelogue show, so if this is a repeat (it is), this show has been in the works for over a year from drawing board to production to airing. So yeah, FN knew that Katie Lee's availability was going to lessen when they were filming FNS back in Jan/Feb. 

But they picked Tregaye because she was POPPIN ON FLEEK and couldn't be resisted. Riiiiight. 

Had a pilot last year that got picked up and the show started for real earlier this year. It aired/airs at night for new episodes on either Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm not into seafood and Katie Lee so excuse the lack of details.

On August 6, 2016 at 9:21 AM, MajorWoody said:

Sorry I'm late to the thread, but we didn't sit down to watch the Finale until last night. 

As expected, the fix was in, and Ms Fleekin Poppin Fetchit was the preselected winner. Never mind that of the the three pilots, hers was the blandest and was full of BS throughout. Turkey is OK, but to put a small sliver in your mouth and act like you are having an orgasm is over the top faking it. Plus, the turkey they showed being sliced wasn't even real, whole turkeys, but that processed breast stuff. Her plate of food reminded me of chow hall grub from my service days. All it needed was the powdered eggs. And A Roll!!!! How exciting, a generic parker roll, and she screams with excitement. I agree with the poster who said the jello comment customer was probably stretching in trying to find something to compliment by talking about bland jello. There was not a single thing in her pilot that would encourage me to visit that cafeteria, even if I was on the same block and looking for a place to eat.

Then, to add insult to injury, they had to show her yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh pouring the liquid from last week, which should have sent her packing right then and there, but the hosts acted like it was some sort of epochal moment in TV history. Another example of Flay losing all credibility this year. So Tregaye has two poor presentations in a row, at the end of the competition, and she is crowned the winner. Sorry Flay, you were apparently blinded by Giada's fake smile and her boobs for too long. Maybe you can do a show where the two of you feel each other up like 7th graders on their first date.

Jarrod, with his Love Chef act, actually presented an enjoyable pilot, but apparently his earlier incarnations of Bernard the Over the Top Love Chef, and Kennard the Roly Poly Gymnast Love Chef doomed him. Too bad, because I grew to like Gerard when he wasn't babbling about knocking up women. 

Damiano was still unintelligble throughout his pilot. The combo of speaking at 90mph while effecting a stereotype 70's mafiosi movie accent are not a good mix. I actually found the French chef easier to understand.

This season was a disappointment in every aspect. From bringing in Marteeeeeeeta, to screwing over Yaku when he came back. From presenting a cast of people that basically had no real presence, no mentoring or training, and focusing more on snark than food or TV skills, coupled with two judges who seemed to be more interested in each other than the show. It was a disaster.

The only saving grace is there is no show for the winner, just a magazine spread, a booth at a food fest, and the occasional spot as a guest judge on TWENN TEE  THOU  SAND DOLLARS  Fee Etty's GGG, next to the other hack Melissa, and her bug eyed over the top commenting.

This show is a good representation of how far FN has fallen since it's heyday.

Final three should've been Dom, Yaku, and Monterry

• Love 4
On 8/5/2016 at 10:59 AM, SingleMaltBlonde said:

The main problem with her schtick is it will date quickly....

If Tregaye had won in in the eighties she would have been " like totally tubular".

If she had won in the seventies "she would be bringing in the funk" and probably "keep on truckin"

One could watch her show, not for the food, but to figure out what slang was outdated.

• Love 2

Apologies if this has been posted already, but Damiano is going-a to be a judge-a on-a FN Halloween Baking Championship in October.  

From foodnetworkgossip.com - 

A new season of Halloween Baking Championship will begin on Monday, October 3rd at 9pm ET on Food Network.  An interesting thing about the show is that Food Network Star season 12 runner-up Damiano Carrara will be a judge on the show along with Sandra Lee and Carla Hall.  The show will be hosted by comedian/ventriloquist Jeff Dunham.  This means he will appear on Food Network before Food Network Star winner Tregaye Fraser (she has done filming for The Kitchen Sink according to her social media).

Edited by Albino
19 hours ago, Albino said:

This means he will appear on Food Network before Food Network Star winner Tregaye Fraser (she has done filming for The Kitchen Sink according to her social media).

I thought Tregaye guest-judged on the latest kids' edition of NFNS.

And Damiano is enough to make me not watch HBC. Haven't seen Aunt Sandy in a while but do like Karla. What's she doing back on cable? And also not a fan of a comedian-moderator. 

Guess I'm out? 'Til I'm in.

Edited by NewDigs
19 hours ago, Albino said:

Apologies if this has been posted already, but Damiano is going-a to be a judge-a on-a FN Halloween Baking Championship in October.  

From foodnetworkgossip.com - 

A new season of Halloween Baking Championship will begin on Monday, October 3rd at 9pm ET on Food Network.  An interesting thing about the show is that Food Network Star season 12 runner-up Damiano Carrara will be a judge on the show along with Sandra Lee and Carla Hall.  The show will be hosted by comedian/ventriloquist Jeff Dunham.  This means he will appear on Food Network before Food Network Star winner Tregaye Fraser (she has done filming for The Kitchen Sink according to her social media).

Moved conversation to Alum thread.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1
On August 31, 2016 at 3:51 PM, qtpye said:

If Tregaye had won in in the eighties she would have been " like totally tubular".

If she had won in the seventies "she would be bringing in the funk" and probably "keep on truckin"

One could watch her show, not for the food, but to figure out what slang was outdated.

I let this finale sit on my DVR for weeks and weeks.  I just couldn't.  So I came here to see what happened.  DELETE.

But, if bullshitting your way through with appropriated urban slang well past its use-by date is all it takes, I guess I'll get to work on my new show "Sizzle Fo' Shizzle!"

• Love 3
6 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

I find it difficult to believe that Amber was actually "bullied" in Second Grade for bringing healthy food for lunch.  Maybe some kids teased her, but bullied seems awfully serious for something like this at that age.

I think you're in the wrong thread. This isn't for the Kids' version. It's for the Finale of the last adult version.