Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E11: A New Food Network Star

• Start Topic

I thought Tregaye's pilot was the weakest of the 3. She came across as awkward and forced. Then again, I thought her location was really weak - I mean I'm sure it's cool to go visit, but it didn't translate in the Pilot, and making her do the Thanksgiving dinner was super-flat and hardly 'on fleek'.  I don't think we'll wind up seeing much of her.

Jernard and Damiano both had stronger pilots, I think, though I thought Damiano seemed a bit forced too, but at least demonstrated some knowledge. But I'm sad that they continue to just do Diners, Drive-ins and Dives as the Pilot, instead of letting them come up with their own thing. I'm so tired of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

I found this - the page says it isn't currently airing. I don't remember it ever having aired.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/the-kitchen-sink.html 

I have seen a couple of episodes and didn't like it....I am hot and cold on The Kitchen but the sink is just sad...GZ is not a natural making cupcakes, sorry.

I think many of us here have a difference of opinion on what we want in a Food Network Show (I think most disagree with Bobby and Geeahdah).  I like actual cooking, especially baking...I don't like cutthroat kitchen or even Chopped (which I think is heresey).  As a home baker I know lots of people don't so they are not going to watch Damiano and make a St. Honore cake.

• Love 3

I'd tune in just to watch Tregaye and Zakarian.  I stopped watching The Kitchen mainly because of Sunny and Katie. (I guess I am in the small minority who actually like Marcela.)  It seemed to me that Geoffrey Zakarian could barely contain his disdain for any food prepared by Sunny, Katie and to a lesser extent, Jeff Mauro. (I guess Marcela was acceptable since she went to culinary school ... I know that Jeff did too, but for some reason, he doesn't seem to have the same status??? ) This should be comedy gold. He'll shred Tregaye like he does a head of cabbage to make slaw.

I enjoy baking, so I always look forward to the holiday baking specials. I think you're right that people don't like to bake from scratch. I guess it's more interesting to watch people down and dirty baking competition, thus the constant airings of "Cake Wars" and "Cupcake Wars." There are also two new baking shows, but again, feature professional retail bakers.  I think the Sandra Lee method of adding alcohol, extract or pudding mix to a boxed cake mix or can of frosting is about as adventurous as the typical FN viewer aspires to. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, grisgris said:

I stopped watching The Kitchen mainly because of Sunny and Katie. (I guess I am in the small minority who actually like Marcela.) 

I can take Sunny and like Marcela but don't ever need to see Katie on TV ever again.  It's funny just to see all of the different opinions on the hosts.

• Love 1

The restaurant where Tregaye shot her pilot is really cool but you didn't get that from her show. Charles Phoenix (follow him on Facebook if you like anything retro) did a live remote from there when they reopened after a refurbish and he was fantastic. He showed off all the cool old features that didn't get shown with Tregaye. I went to eat there just because of the show he did, Tregaye wouldn't get me in the door.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SingleMaltBlonde said:

I can take Sunny and like Marcela but don't ever need to see Katie on TV ever again.  It's funny just to see all of the different opinions on the hosts.

Of that group, Sunny is the only one I like.  Mauro is a buffoon, the guy in the suit is too pompous, Katie Lee grates on my last nerve and Marcela bugs me too.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Interesting.  As I'm caught often watching some of Cooks v Cons I am amazed at the transformation that the previously debonair Hampton-like air of superiority Mr. Zakarian had also succombed to the Dancing Bear machinations of Food Network.  The intro he does for Cooks v Cons is so shouty and over the top that it is beyond fake (if you saw Zakarian before).   And during the show he is equally "over energied" to the point of annoyance.  Sure he's had a lot of legal troubles and bad press but couldn't he at least be himself as he hosts some of these shows?  Why does everyone have to be so shouty???????

Exactly. Well, FN doesn't exist in a vacuum. and not to get too preachy or off topic, that's exactly the way our entire culture has gone. There's an assumption that the audience is composed of idiots, and if they don't yell at you they won't get your interest. For me, the opposite is true. All that shouting, combined with the stupid laughter that's supposed to tell you what's funny, is a complete turn-off. (Anyone watch "Idiocracy" lately? We're getting there.)

The original concept of Food Network has mostly been abandoned. It's now just an entertainment channel with a food theme. This seems to be the way it always goes on cable TV, as Bravo, A&E, and The History Channel (among others) have all been significantly dumbed down in the quest for ratings and ad revenue. (I'm old enough to remember when cable was supposed to be an alternative to ratings driven broadcast TV.

7 hours ago, SandyToes said:

Jumping in with my own tin-foil hat theory:  The show wasn't a real competition at all, but a vehicle to introduce Tregaye to the FN viewers (who hadn't already seen her) in preparation of "her show." 

I don't think that's "tin-foil hat" at all. And if she had already been taping an FN show, then the entire competition aspect of Food Network star was a complete lie. Even by the dubious ethics of reality TV that's a new low, and possibly something that should be investigated by whatever body is supposed to monitor cable TV. (If there even is such a thing). I wonder if her fellow contestants had any idea they were participating in a such a farce?

If the FN brass had already decided they wanted Tregaye on their team (for God knows what reason) that would explain why the judges never asked her to explain her alleged "fusion" concept, and why they laughed hysterically at every dumb ass fleekin' and poppin' word out of her mouth. They were given their marching orders to sell Tregaye as a witty, sparkling, fun personality. The female equivalent of Guy Fieri. God help us all.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 12

While I fully admit that I haven't seen all of the seasons of this show... since I sort of catch it randomly when I notice it's on... but... this was one of the most boring seasons of TV I've ever seen. Even the drama was forced and boring. I know the network isn't just cooking demos... but I really have no interest in watching people go places and eat food... I fast forwarded this entire episode to find that the winner was annoying and not someone I have any interest in watching on anything ever.

Last season at least had some people you like seeing on your TV... but this was a mess... and the least likeable of the three was crowned winner? The producers are out of touch for sure.

• Love 2

Of the 3 I was hoping it was Jernard.  I liked his pilot the most.  Not a Damiano fan but honestly it should have been these men in the final two spots, not Tregaye. I won't watch Tregaye, nor search for her online show.  Never saw her explain what her point of view was.  She said fusion and on fleek but don't know what it means.  I was tired of her when she did the whole 'yesss' while pouring the red liquid on her food.  She did nothing to show what she knows, her food was awful and the promo was even worse.  Yaku should be in the final 3 instead of her.

So I guess now I will have to add Tregaye to the Guys Grocery Games she will appear on and mute her as I do with the annoying Melissa D.  Please DO NOT go on the Beat Bobby Flay shows.

• Love 6

My husband watched this season on and off with me and he said the only one he would watch is Jenard. I think part of it was he liked the type of food Jenard cooked, and didn't pay much attention to the "love chef" thing. I didn't think I had a favorite, but in the end I wished Damiano would win because I think a baking show would be interesting. I am neutral on Tregaye. I don't hate her, but I wish she could have been herself more because she seems to be a good cook. I don't think her winning had anything to do with her race, FN favors people with the most outrageous personalities, such as Cowboy Lennie, Guy F, and now Tregaye. Somehow last year they picked, cool, laid back Eddie, but I think that was to make up for the insane Lennie debacle. 

I also thought the bits with Bobby and Giada looked like they were hand-picked to show the public how in love they are. Lots of touching, coy glances and endless laughing. Well, good for them? I can't be bothered to watch web cooking shows so I guess I will see Tregaye as a judge on something. 

• Love 1

I don't think it was a racial pick, either. However, it WAS a gender pick. Unfortunately, the Network couldn't scrounge together a stronger pool of women to choose from, so they pegged Tregaye early on (if not a flat-out ringer) as the Ordained One. Based on her prior FN experiences, I imagine The Network already knew what they had, personality-wise. And apparently, they wanted another buffoon to join Sunny and Mauro on The Kitchen Sink, although she wouldn't be filming with them, as I noted before. That would be too, too much. 

2 hours ago, bluepiano said:

The original concept of Food Network has mostly been abandoned. It's now just an entertainment channel with a food theme. This seems to be the way it always goes on cable TV, as Bravo, A&E, and The History Channel (among others) have all been significantly dumbed down in the quest for ratings and ad revenue. (I'm old enough to remember when cable was supposed to be an alternative to ratings driven broadcast TV.

with all the "Classic" channels on nowadays,i wonder why FN cant do their version(Cooking Channel doesnt count) and call it Food Network Classic..there they can show reruns of all the original shows(The Essence of Emeril,Taste with David Rosengarten,Grillin' & Chillin',East Meets West,In Food Today,Emeril Live,Two Fat Ladies,The Naked Chef,Door Knock Dinners,etc)

1 hour ago, Crucial said:

Of the 3 I was hoping it was Jernard.  I liked his pilot the most.  Not a Damiano fan but honestly it should have been these men in the final two spots, not Tregaye. I won't watch Tregaye, nor search for her online show.  Never saw her explain what her point of view was.  She said fusion and on fleek but don't know what it means.  I was tired of her when she did the whole 'yesss' while pouring the red liquid on her food.  She did nothing to show what she knows, her food was awful and the promo was even worse.  Yaku should be in the final 3 instead of her.

So I guess now I will have to add Tregaye to the Guys Grocery Games she will appear on and mute her as I do with the annoying Melissa D.  Please DO NOT go on the Beat Bobby Flay shows.

She might also be a guest judge/mentor on the upcoming Food Network Star Kids(saw a preview during the finale) or even worse, the aforementioned Cooks Vs Cons..

• Love 2

I don't think that's "tin-foil hat" at all. And if she had already been taping an FN show, then the entire competition aspect of Food Network star was a complete lie. Even by the dubious ethics of reality TV that's a new low, and possibly something that should be investigated by whatever body is supposed to monitor cable TV. (If there even is such a thing). I wonder if her fellow contestants had any idea they were participating in a such a farce?

If the FN brass had already decided they wanted Tregaye on their team (for God knows what reason) that would explain why the judges never asked her to explain her alleged "fusion" concept, and why they laughed hysterically at every dumb ass fleekin' and poppin' word out of her mouth. They were given their marching orders to sell Tregaye as a witty, sparkling, fun personality. The female equivalent of Guy Fieri. God help us all

There used to be someone who oversaw game shows after the scandal in the 50s, to make sure things aren't rigged for a certain person to win. But charges would need to be brought by other contestants with some type of evidence that the fix was in. And nowadays, they all sign contracts stipulating they won't go there. Looking back on this season, I can't remember most of what I watched because none of it made any sense in regard to what this show used to be about.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

There used to be someone who oversaw game shows after the scandal in the 50s, to make sure things aren't rigged for a certain person to win. But charges would need to be brought by other contestants with some type of evidence that the fix was in. And nowadays, they all sign contracts stipulating they won't go there. Looking back on this season, I can't remember most of what I watched because none of it made any sense in regard to what this show used to be about.

Cooks, I think this show (and a lot of reality competitions today) covers it's rear end by writing into their contracts that they reserve the right to determine the winner by any means they choose, which means it doesn't have to be a genuine competition at all even if they present it as one, and make the public believe it is one.  There may even be "fine print" to that effect for a millisecond when the credits are rolling at the end of the show.  So they can say, "See, we told them!"

• Love 1

The contracts vary, but I've seen in the credits at the end where it says that production has the final say on everything (paraphrasing, but you get the idea). It's much stricter for shows like Amazing Race or Survivor (those contestants can't talk about anything). But I think all cooking competitions are subjective, based on the judges' taste buds and what they think is good. I've had several discussions with people who were on these shows and they all say the same thing, can't discuss it, can't discuss it, etc. It seemed like this show stopped being about who's a good cook and can teach good recipes, to being a farce about "who can we pimp out for the best ratings?"

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The FCC regulates true game shows where money is involved, like "Jeopardy!". This show is entertainment and not subject to FCC regulations.

Right, which is why Survivor and Amazing Race are held to higher scrutiny. And as we've seen, FNS doesn't always give the "winner" their own show.

22 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Right, which is why Survivor and Amazing Race are held to higher scrutiny. And as we've seen, FNS doesn't always give the "winner" their own show.

Not really. The Survivor contract was released long ago best snippets here with links. but even before that Linda Holmes (aka Miss Ali) wrote a lot about why these shows don't fall under such scrutiny. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, smiley13 said:

Of that group, Sunny is the only one I like.  Mauro is a buffoon, the guy in the suit is too pompous, Katie Lee grates on my last nerve and Marcela bugs me too.

THIS.  Can we just keep Katie Lee off any shows on TV, especially Food Network?  It seems every time that I am channel surfing, she is on one show or another (same with GK) - Beat Bobby Flay comes to mind as she seems to be on it all the time.  Her rise to fame was marrying Billy Joel so she could put out a cookbook of items that my grandmother made blindfolded.  Also, I recently saw a Grocery Games episode with all the contestants from Guy's season.  It was a bit unbelievable what their appearances on FNS did to bolster their trajectory into real businesses/jobs.

Edited by SoCal Mema
  • Love 5

Back in May, CooksDelight said on the Former FN Stars board: 

Katie Lee has a show called Beach Bites which I just now am seeing commercials for. Maybe that's going to be her focus from now on.

This further forwards my theory that they wanted a female all along. Katie may well keep doing The Kitchen, but was probably able to opt out of a second season of The KS to focus on this new concept, which I haven't seen yet, at least in the weekend programming. Does anyone know whether this show has aired?

15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Unfortunately, the Network couldn't scrounge together a stronger pool of women to choose from, so they pegged Tregaye early on (if not a flat-out ringer) as the Ordained One. 

Tregaye was the one female contestant who had the "big personality" FN likes. As was commented on earlier, FN now wants all its "stars" to be OTT enthusiastic and shouty. Anna was never going to be that person, obviously, and neither was Monterrey. Joy had her southern thing going on, but she was not a shouter. (Ina Garten would never get within a mile of having a show on FN if she came along now. She's the last vestige of the old FN.)

I think Monterrey had a pleasant personality and potential for growth. But I've seen a pattern over the last few years where the attractive female contestants never have a chance. Clearly Giada is prejudiced against them. It's possible too that the FN brass thinks that women want to watch more "homey" types.

I agree that Tregaye's win was ordained from the beginning, but I get the feeling they were disappointed in Rob. I think they saw him as another "big personality" in the mold of Guy Fieri (Bobby even mentioned that), with the "lunch lady" shtick being something they could capitalize on. But he came across as kind of blah, and sometimes like he didn't even care. I think they probably had plans to use him on other shows, like they did a few seasons ago with Tom Fazekas, another contestant in the "sloppy regular joe" category. But now I doubt it.

I definitely think we'll be seeing Damiano again, and maybe Jernard too. Bobby would probably want him around as a second banana, the way he laughed like a hyena at every dance move and mention of "the love chef."

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

As much as an edited Jernard could be a good Jernard, there is only so much Cajun/creole food you can travel around and eat....and describe.  stand and stir, yes but we know that's not the MO anymore.

edited Damiano has a great vehicle since baking is such a wide topic and let's face it, bakery items translate very well on camera since the audience cannota tasta the fooda.

edited Tregaye doesn't exist.  ::flutters fingertips at y'all::

• Love 4
18 hours ago, TDT said:

(The Essence of Emeril,Taste with David Rosengarten,Grillin' & Chillin',East Meets West,In Food Today,Emeril Live,Two Fat Ladies,The Naked Chef,Door Knock Dinners,etc)

Bring back Gale Gand!!!

3 hours ago, bluepiano said:

I definitely think we'll be seeing Damiano again, 

Damiano on Brunch with Bobby and I would be a happy girl.

3 hours ago, bluepiano said:

I think Monterrey had a pleasant personality and potential for growth. But I've seen a pattern over the last few years where the attractive female contestants never have a chance.

I never got Monterrey...the "healthy" chef never does well....

You know how a contestant can really bug you during competition, and then appear at the finale more relaxed and not as irritating?  Happens a lot on Survivor.

Not FNS.  Erin, Marrrrrrdddteetah and Aaron reminded me exactly of what turned me off about them in the first place. ( Melissa may have been in the finale after all, but was sitting sideways so we couldn't see her.)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Back in May, CooksDelight said on the Former FN Stars board: 

This further forwards my theory that they wanted a female all along. Katie may well keep doing The Kitchen, but was probably able to opt out of a second season of The KS to focus on this new concept, which I haven't seen yet, at least in the weekend programming. Does anyone know whether this show has aired?

It is airing somewhere, possibly regular network TV? Or Cooking Channel? My dad saw her make some type of tacos and he wanted me to find it and print the recipe for him.

3 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

edited Damiano has a great vehicle since baking is such a wide topic and let's face it, bakery items translate very well on camera since the audience cannota tasta the fooda.

I'm sure he might be the new guest judge on Cake Wars,Cupcake Wars or whichever Baking Championship show is coming up..

I found it. (S1E02) Sunday morning at 7:30am on Cooking Channel. It's a travelogue show, so if this is a repeat (it is), this show has been in the works for over a year from drawing board to production to airing. So yeah, FN knew that Katie Lee's availability was going to lessen when they were filming FNS back in Jan/Feb. 

But they picked Tregaye because she was POPPIN ON FLEEK and couldn't be resisted. Riiiiight. 

FN's love affair with Tregaye is a total mystery to me. She's like the 2016 equivalent of the horribly stereotyped black maids you see in old Hollywood movies. If her selection is supposed to be about bringing "diversity" to FN, the sad truth is that her appeal will probably be to white people who enjoy laughing at that kind of stereotyped behavior, in part because it makes them feel superior.

Damn, respectfully cannot disagree more. While I think her "schtick" was heavily exaggerated, I relate very, very much to who she comes across as.  I'm an Af/Am male and when me and my "folks" get together for any dinners or cookouts, we act and enjoy ourselves both male and female just as Tregaye did this throughout the series.  I receive that it is clear she repulses many, but I absolutely enjoy her and would relate to her show and would feel happy about it.

Edited by tiredofwork
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, tiredofwork said:

Damn, respectfully cannot disagree more. While I think her "schtick" was heavily exaggerated, I relate very, very much to who she comes across as.  I'm an Af/Am male and when me and my "folks" get together for any dinners or cookouts, we act and enjoy ourselves both male and female just as Tregaye did this throughout the series.  I receive that it is clear she repulses many, but I absolutely enjoy her and would relate to her show and would feel happy about it.

When you say that, would it be correct for me to say you are viewing "who she comes across as" as the person through the shtick, and not the person in the schtick? 

I think Tregaye has a natural humor and energy, both of which would make her a good host. For example, pounding the meat while joking about her husband forgetting their anniversary - that's funny. I find her relatable as well as watchable.  However, the gimmicks of "what crazy words will she use next!?" overwhelmed that. And I find someone constantly saying "Feelin' fleeky! Just slither it around in that sauce, yaaaaas!" loses the reality.

But I don't know. If one of your friends or family was talking with that density of lingo, would you roll with it or would you cock your head and wonder what they're up to?

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, Amarsir said:

I think Tregaye has a natural humor and energy, both of which would make her a good host. For example, pounding the meat while joking about her husband forgetting their anniversary - that's funny. I find her relatable as well as watchable.  However, the gimmicks of "what crazy words will she use next!?" overwhelmed that. And I find someone constantly saying "Feelin' fleeky! Just slither it around in that sauce, yaaaaas!" loses the reality.

Yeah, when Tregaye drops the poppin fleekin shit I find her very enjoyable. You gave a perfect example. That anniversary bit was funny and relatable. Sadly, I don't think that's what FN wants from her. They want the poppin fleekin shit.

• Love 4
On 8/1/2016 at 0:27 PM, backformore said:

SO, I go online today, and this is on my MSN page:  Bobby Flay and Giada De Laurentiis accused of rigging Food Network Star

Basically, a writer looked on social media and decided that anybody who doesn't agree with the results is a racist idiot.    But the idiot to me, is anyone who starts and article with these words "Food Network Star hosts Bobby Flay and Giada De Laurentiis have shared some adorable moments together."

I read the article, and the author says Ana made racist comments a couple of weeks ago.  What did she say?  I don't remember anything racist.

1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

Yeah, when Tregaye drops the poppin fleekin shit I find her very enjoyable. You gave a perfect example. That anniversary bit was funny and relatable. Sadly, I don't think that's what FN wants from her. They want the poppin fleekin shit.

The biggest problem with Tregaye is what they are doing with her...ignoring some pretty impressive skills.  I think she would be good at one of those shows where she ambushes someone at the grocery store and goes home with you and cooks the family dinner.  I think she has the skills but I felt there was always a producer telling her to show us your personality....be fleekier....

1 hour ago, mary2013 said:

I read the article, and the author says Ana made racist comments a couple of weeks ago.  What did she say?  I don't remember anything racist.

What a maroon!  Hands up anyone who thinks this show isn't rigged.  I don't see any.

Ana said at one point in a confessional that Tregaye (and maybe Jernard, too, I don't remember) had "limited appeal".  Well, obviously.  Who in the public eye doesn't have limited appeal? Interpreting that as racist would mark one as, uh, a maroon.

• Love 7

Didn't Ana also say that she wasn't going to put up an act (or words to that effect) when comparing herself to Tregaye? I think a lot of people took that the wrong way. I've hated Ana since her days as a Real Housewife, but I did admire the fact that she stuck to her guns.  To be honest, if she'd shown ANY personality, she would have been a better fit for The Kitchen Sink than Tregaye; her cooking (which she'd have to display on TKS) was usually on point. They really didn't need ANOTHER buffoon on that cast, but they got one. 

That's not racist. It's about a persona one chooses to portray. Guy and Mauro's characters are just as much buffoons as Tregaye or Sunny. Can't stand any of them, because I can't stand the stupid clowning. Sorry, but I don't relate to that at all. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, mary2013 said:

Ana had commented that Tregaye's show  would appeal to a certain, limited audience, which some people took to mean "only black people will watch her."   I didn't take it that way, I thought  she was saying more that the young, hip people, who supposedly say things like 'on fleek'  and 'poppin'  will watch, but nobody else would be interested.

• Love 7
On August 1, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Gregg247 said:

I was a fan of Jenard's throughout the season, but last night's compilation of his "highlights" made him look foolish and ridiculous.  I hadn't noticed, on an episode-by-episode basis, how silly he was acting.  Was this a result of the producers trying to get more and more out of each contestant?  Probably, but he's the one who went along with it.

I've never been able to understand how overly hyped-up Bobby and Giada were to Jenard and Tregaye's antics.  They always looked like they were about to bust a gut laughing so hard at them.  Then again, they also kept saying what a warm and inviting person Diamano was, when all I saw week after week was a humorless perfectionist with an extremely high self-opinion.  Maybe Bobby and Giada thought that the harder they laughed, the more likely we viewers would be fooled into being entertained by them.

I miss Bob and Suzy!  Even that old lady they used to trot out for the season finale was absent last night.  Who's considered "the network" these days--a bunch of accountants and nameless executive?

Does the "winner" even get the 6 episode series of their own as a prize anymore?

Of the three finalists, Tregaye was probably "the best"***

*** - graded on a STEEP curve.

That "old lady" was Brooke Johnson, who used to be President of Food Network. She resigned either late last year or earlier this year. Shortly before Tuschman, anyway.

• Love 2
On 7/31/2016 at 11:50 PM, MerBearHou said:

Are Bobby and Giada running Food Network now?  Where are the checks and balances and leadership at the FN?   Because none of this makes sense.  Who is there to tell Giada her wardrobe is a joke, embarrassing for her, ridiculous?  Who is there to tell Bobby and Giada that encouraging fleek, poppin', uncomfortable stereotypes are not what most of the public wants to support and watch?  And isn't this network supposed to draw in viewers rather than repel them?  I would think the advertisers would prefer that.  Bobby's personality is arrogant and off-putting.  Giada's personality is desperate and vain.  

Call me boring but I do prefer the calmer stand and stir shows like Ina and The Great British Bake-off over these manufactured caricature shows.  Those are the shows I watch (often as repeats) as comfort and to learn a thing or two.   Food Network, I don't know who you're listening to (and you probably don't read these boards), but in my opinion, you're going in the wrong direction.  Makes me sad.

Hi, I love you. ;) 

I am very thankful for Netflix airing GBBO, and PBS (ditto). And the PBS/Create cooking shows. Actual COOKING.

On 8/1/2016 at 9:47 PM, bluepiano said:

Exactly. Well, FN doesn't exist in a vacuum. and not to get too preachy or off topic, that's exactly the way our entire culture has gone. There's an assumption that the audience is composed of idiots, and if they don't yell at you they won't get your interest. For me, the opposite is true. All that shouting, combined with the stupid laughter that's supposed to tell you what's funny, is a complete turn-off. (Anyone watch "Idiocracy" lately? We're getting there.)

I think we're *at* Idiocracy levels.

I'd had HGTV in as well - now it's all entertainment, too. Man, I'd like an actual gardening show there!

On 8/2/2016 at 8:42 PM, tiredofwork said:

(emphasis mine)

Here's the thing - I couldn't see who she might be because of the schtick. In food terms, it's like putting 3 inches of overly sweet icing on a 1/2" sheet cake. 2 things that might be good end up just cloying and sickening.

FN doesn't get what we want - we don't want caricatures or stereotypes or pseudo-trendy pandering. We want authenticity. Whenever they've given us that, it's been a success. 

• Love 8

Since ya'll are on the subject of what in the world is going on with FN in general--The TV was on the other day and Cooks or Cons was on.  I had never seen it but watched a few minutes.  I like the host (I think his name is Jeffrey) just fine--he is on Chopped.  But one of the judges was the girl that is the lead character in Orange is the New Black.  At least I think that is who it was.   Is that the best they could do for a judge?  Perhaps she knows something about food, but it really surprised me.

Edited by parrotfeathers

I was so freaking annoyed at Tregaye here. She has shown flashes of likability but she obviously knew she had won through the entire taping and it was not especially likable. (My favorite moments were when she'd clap prissily at every single clip of herself, every compliment, every mention. She'd clap, clap, clap, softly, making it somehow crystal-clear that yes, she was, yet again, applauding herself.

I do suspect that Erin (a/k/a "Smidgens" woman) was probably absolutely insufferable to be around. When you factor in her arrogance and total insufferability upon her (deserved) exit, along with her now-hilarious "I'm just here to spread smiles and love!" persona -- it's obvious. She's the Antichrist. Urrghgh. I wanted to root for her as a plus-size woman, but -- no. I really never want to see her again.

My problem with Jernard is that while he can probably cook, he's just not articulate. He has real issues going beyond his comfort buzzwords and it shows constantly. Add to that the fact that he speaks real, real slow, and I just don't see him drawing in the viewers.

On 7/31/2016 at 6:59 PM, txvoodoo said:

Parmesan isn't nutty. Stop using nutty to describe anything that isn't sweet, salty or sour.

Lime jello. IDEK. Did they pick the most basic people to interview?

I would disagree -- "nutty" is a good adjective for some aspects of parmesan, especially aged parmesan.

However, I definitely agree on Jell-O. I cringed that the one person they showed on camera (talking about the best freaking dish in the restaurant) was someone who said the words, "I just love lime Jell-O." I mean, seriously, the restaurant GM probably has nightmares about the fact that THIS was the clip that was chosen. It's not like it's gonna cause a stampede.

On 7/31/2016 at 7:42 PM, howmanywords said:

Jeff Mauro is now the second highest FNS winner with the most longevity (behind Guy Fieeedddi obviously), IIRC its been 5 years since he's won and has been consistently hosting shows since. Sadly I think the days of them finding anymore legit stars are long gone.

I liked Jeff, and am happy for several past winners/contestants who found success. Beyond Jeff (or, of course Guy, the end-all be-all), participants who have recorded at least 75 TV show appearances have included Damaris, Melissa, and Kelsey. Aarti hasn't done too badly either, although she's not a favorite of mine.

On 7/31/2016 at 8:17 PM, xaxat said:

Alex's "dowdy" comment was my favorite moment of the season. 

I adore Alex. Feel free to shoot me. But she's naturally funny and self-effacing, she's sharp and genuinely, seriously talented, and I love the crap out of her. From word of mouth, I also think she's a genuinely nice person, which also helps. I totally heart Alex, and have ever since her first Iron Chef appearance (where she lost, but I swear Alton fell in love, at least for an hour or two).

On 7/31/2016 at 9:50 PM, MerBearHou said:

Call me boring but I do prefer the calmer stand and stir shows like Ina and The Great British Bake-off over these manufactured caricature shows.

The Great British Bake Off is so far above this drivel it doesn't even deserve to be tainted by a mention in the same forum. Although I would watch the crap out of a show hosted by Nadiya, Tamal, or Mat. Or Sue and Mel, frankly. I love that show so much (everyone watch! even if you don't bake!! It's just lovely!).

On 8/1/2016 at 3:44 AM, BW Manilowe said:

Like that Chopped After Hours show where Ted & different sets of judges from the different eps get to make their own meal courses with the contents of various baskets used in previous shows (I'm pretty sure the baskets are used by the judges for the same meal course they were used for in the original episode).

First off, I adore Chopped After Hours. Also, just to note, they generally seem to try to get the other judges to judge/participate, probably based on availability, just so things feel more fair.

On 8/1/2016 at 0:39 PM, Skyfall said:

I'll be eagerly awaiting Monterry's and Yaku's Cooking/Travel Channel shows!

I'd watch. As Alex noted consistently on "Salvation," Monterey has serious cooking chops. Meanwhile, Yaku is likable and talented (but I do think he MUST shave that horrific beard). 

A few notes:

• Tregaye's 15 minutes are, bless her heart, already pretty much up. She's not articulate, depends constantly on a limited schtick, and apparently isn't even that great a cook. And she's already competed for money everywhere she still can on FN. Now as a FN employee and host, she can't even do so for actual money (but for charity).

• Damiano's lack of a real English cooking vocabulary did him in, not his accent. While Rob was an ass in the last ep, Damiano consistently has shown that he doesn't or can't yet use the right English cooking terms and that's going to be a turnoff for viewers. It's not as charming if you can't actually follow what he's "instructing."

• If any good came out of this season's debacle, I fervently hope that one of those things is that Jenard gives up on the whole "Chef of Love" schtick -- it's creepy and just... no. I do not care that he doesn't believe in zero population growth, but I hate having his numerous offspring thrown in my face. I find it really off-putting, like he thinks it's awesome that I'm sitting there wondering why he and his wife never discovered, you know, birth control.

• Tregaye is not the first winner of color -- Other FNS winners include Aaron McCargo, and Eddie, who won last year.

• Martita was present. She repeatedly hugs Tregaye (for, I supposed, cynical "I must be on camera" reasons, because I am evil).

• The all-overish outtakes of Giada and Bobby made me really uncomfortable (although yes, their cats are adorable). I mean, it would be funny that two FN stars are boning, except that the rumors go back a few years, and they both have loved ones, failed marriages and more behind this now, and I feel really sad that their spouses saw this. (I especially had a soft spot for Stephanie March -- my late Mom loved the episode of Bobby's show that was all about the menu she cooked for him each birthday and fervently DVR'd it when it showed up on repeat, so it kind of grossed me out that he asked, on camera, for Giada to cook for him on his birthday).
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, paramitch said:

However, I definitely agree on Jell-O. I cringed that the one person they showed on camera (talking about the best freaking dish in the restaurant) was someone who said the words, "I just love lime Jell-O." I mean, seriously, the restaurant GM probably has nightmares about the fact that THIS was the clip that was chosen. It's not like it's gonna cause a stampede.

That really cracked me up.  You can't love the lime jello at a particular restaurant!  Jello is all the same -   it is the same as you can make at home, if you know how to boil water and stir.   (Unless they infuse it with tequila or something, but you can also do that at home)

It made me wonder if the customer was actually hating the food, but to be on camera she had to say something positive, so it was more like "well, they didn't screw up Jello!"

• Love 7

Well, that was awful. I hate when choices appear to be simply the lesser of evils. Didn't like any of the finalists and groaned not only through Tregaye's "pilot" but through almost the entire 42 minutes, which I will never get back.

At least Jernard and Damiano visited places I would like to visit. But pushing a tray of Thanksgiving-every-day down a looooong-ass counter? Then be rewarded with lime jello?  Most cruise ships can do that. And those memories kind of put me off my feed. 

Fleekin' Tregaye. I'd like to say "unbelievable" but...

Why did I bother? Just awful, start to finish.

• Love 5

Although I would watch the crap out of a show hosted by Nadiya, Tamal, or Mat. Or Sue and Mel, frankly. 

OMG. A show hosted by Sue and Mel would be the fleekiest most poppin' awesome thing ever (and I really mean that it WOULD be the best show) Can you imagine them on a Chopped-ish show, talking to the contestants, making snarky remarks, sticking their fingers into the sticky toffee...

Universe, make it so. 

• Love 6

now that you say it, they, Mel and Sue, remind me of old school Alton, you used to run around the kitchen butting into the chef's space and asking questions and getting into stuff. And thinking about Paul and Mary's critiques of the bakers (GBBO) compared to Bobby and Giada sitting on their thrones laughing their asses off a the contestant clowns sent to amuse them... I now, really, really want the Brits to take over Food Network. lol

I would love to see Mary Berry's reaction to all Treygaye's popping and fleeking.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 5

Are they actually going to use the word "fleek" in the title of Tregaye's show? That will make it an even dumber title than "Aarti's Party." Really hard to figure out who they're trying to appeal to.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 11:42 PM, BW Manilowe said:

That "old lady" was Brooke Johnson, who used to be President of Food Network. She resigned either late last year or earlier this year. Shortly before Tuschman, anyway.

So who is really running Food Network on the editorial side? Maybe the leadership void is why FN Star turned into a complete farce this season, as the show literally seemed to be about keeping Bobby and Giada amused and nothing else.

I have a sneaking suspicion that those two plus Guy Fieri have a major voice in programming. So as the old saying goes, the inmates are running the asylum.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Are they actually going to use the word "fleek" in the title of Tregaye's show? That will make it an even dumber title than "Aarti's Party." Really hard to figure out who they're trying to appeal to.

Tregaye is not getting her own show.   She will be one host of The Kitchen Sink, which is a 1/2 half hour off shoot of The Kitchen.  The show is not based on a concept applying to her as an individual, nor  is it a new show to the network and she will not even be the sole host.   Which makes her "prize" the single biggest joke in the show's--if not Food Network--history.  She likely could have made more money going on Camp Cutthroat.   They're one step away from sending the "winner" directly to the GGG judges table, which I was assume what they will do next year.  

• Love 10