Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E11: A New Food Network Star

• Start Topic

So I have a season pass and totally thought I watched all the episodes but when they were showing the past clips I kept thinking wait when did that happen. Apparently, I have early onset dementia or this show is so boring I zone most of it out.

Was the behind the scenes clips of Giada and Bobby shown to convince all of the holdouts that they have slept together?

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

Is that voice recognition supposed to be able to recognize Jernard's overpronunciation?

Of course Ana was the most competitive.  Also probably the least liked.

Damn, those beignets looked good.

Tregaye is authentic?  Hm.  We have different definitions of that word.

They really went with "On Fleek Eats"?  Ugh.

Wow, what a surprise.  How has this not been telegraphed for weeks now?  Nope, I won't be watching.

"I know you wanted to win" is a stupid thing to say, Bobby.

I guess Tregaye's family doesn't have to live on the streets now.  smh

• Love 9

I didn't watch most of this episode because I was busy binge watching an entertaining series and saw no reason to interrupt actual entertainment for an hour of non-stop cringing.  Much like yesterday, where I finished an episode in time to see the last two minutes of the idiot free falling without a parachute I only tuned in long enough to see the free falling idiot here get caught by the net.  But that bucket's got a hole in it and they'll burn off their commitment faster than you can say "Dyyyno-MITE".

And I thought Survivor dragged out a finale beyond human endurance.

Could their pre-selection have been any more obvious?  When they presented the pilots and saved their Stah for last, we knew our predictions were valid.  Tregaye finally ditched the purple lipstick while she twitched and mugged coyly through the ep, only to collapse (to her knees, yet) in tears at the official announcement.

Giada, what was with the Black Widow get-up you were wearing?

Has Marrrrrteeeetah perfected the tight little non-smile smile or what?  She just oozed hating to be there.

Damiano finally modified his pompador and looked much better.

The absence of FN corporate execs was glaring.  Nobody wanted to be associated with this joke of a show.

I need to open a new box of wine.

• Love 13

I keep wondering WHO at The Network consulted with Bobby and Giada to make this pick, and exactly how long did it take? Five minutes? Since the entire cast (minus Skinny Girl) was already assembled, I imagine that this was taped after they'd wrapped the talking heads, maybe two or three days after the pilots were done. At this point, given how cheaply this season was run, there's no way FN flew them home and back to LA again for this shitshow we (really couldn't) watch tonight. 

eta: Just bit the bullet and checked out The Kitchen Sink. The way the hosts are paired, it looks like maybe Katie Lee might be kicked to the curb, because I doubt they'd put Tregaye on set with Sunny, who does Sassy Black Woman a thousand times better than tonight's victor. I'm sure Katie keeps her place on the real network show; no way Tregaye gets a plum like that right out of the gate. Hell, it took Mauro a few years to get there, and he's the second most successful (and totally telegraphed during HIS season) winner of all time. 

Yes, I hated Melissa, her arrogance and never-ending sob stories that contradicted other stories she told about meeting her husband in France. We never got a read on the real woman at all. After all that, they gave her the $10 Dinner concept. She jumped through all of those hoops, and they just wanted a "mom" for their concept. LMAO

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

I knew it was coming, but I kept hoping something would change & somebody, anybody except Tregaye would win. Nope. The only thing I can say is FLEEK WAS OVER MONTHS AGO, STOP USING THAT WORD!!!!!!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Tregaye is authentic?  Hm.  We have different definitions of that word.

They really went with "On Fleek Eats"?  Ugh.

Wow, what a surprise.  How has this not been telegraphed for weeks now?  Nope, I won't be watching.

"I know you wanted to win" is a stupid thing to say, Bobby.

I guess Tregaye's family doesn't have to live on the streets now.  smh

This was,as she sometimes stated in a few of her talking head segments,"The moment ive been waiting for!" (© Tregaye Fraser)

Ok caught up now. Out of the pilots, I liked Damiano's the best and Tregaye's the least. Why didn't Tregaye go into the kitchen and interact with the chef?

Also, at least the other two explained some cooking tips! She didn't do a thing. I think her two "tips" were dubbed in later. 

I have zero problem understanding Jernard. However, that accent is something I've heard all my life. 

Whatever, I'm saying Yaku won. 

• Love 8

I love competition shows.  That is all that this is.  No new star, no winner who will make it.  This last show was the best of the season. I loved the outtakes with Bobby not being able to take his hands off Giada.  Come on!  You guys are fucking!  No shame in that, admit it!  You are both divorced, go for it.  It could not be more obvious. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Ok, so Tregaye is not going to have a real show? It is going to be an online show?   What happened to the pilot ideas? Did Jenard dance or split his pants? 

It might air/continue airing on FN (the show she's on, The Kitchen Sink, which has already produced 6 episodes & aired at least 1--which was done as ep 4--on FN). It probably depends. I haven't heard either way.

I've noticed over the last few months, it could even be a year, they've started airing episodes on the network of what was originally produced as online-only content for the FN website. They air this stuff mostly on weekends & in late night/graveyard shift type timeslots.

Like that Chopped After Hours show where Ted & different sets of judges from the different eps get to make their own meal courses with the contents of various baskets used in previous shows (I'm pretty sure the baskets are used by the judges for the same meal course they were used for in the original episode). It's a "looser" version of the show & tends to "humanize" any of the regular judges (&/or Ted) viewers may not like for any reason (I think so, anyway). And then there was that random episode of The Kitchen Sink I lucked into finding on a Sunday a few weeks ago. And, last Sunday, they aired the final ep of Star Salvation (where Yakub won the right to go back into the FNS competition) right before Yakub's actual brief return to FNS.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Christina said:

Facts have no business on Twitter. If you didn't like Tregaye or Jernard, you are racist. If you wanted Tregaye or Jernard to win, it's because FNS had to finally have a black winner. If you wanted Damiano to win, it's because he was attractive. Not to me, but it's been clear since day one that I am not the target viewer. It couldn't possibly be that you didn't want to watch any of them for any other reason. It was maddening and I had to look away.

They've had two. Eddie Jackson last year, and Aaron McCargo several seasons ago. 

• Love 3

I can't imagine that Bobby Flay will be willing to do this show next year.  If he does, he doesn't have as much clout as I first thought.

One of his behind the scene comments was very revealing as to his opinion--"Get me out of here,"

Dear Mr. Tuschman:  I feel your pain but am so glad you are not associated with this travesty.

Is Susie Fogleson still an employee?

• Love 1

Man, what a low budget finale; they couldn't even spring for confetti or some balloons when the winner was announced?  (I'd comment more, but everyone has basically said what I would have said, including someone who forwarded through the whole thing til the winner was announced.

• Love 3

Well, guys, it's been fun.  After the pilots, I FF'd to the end, and then removed this series from my DVR scheduled recordings.  What an embarrassment.

Remember when they used to take the contestants places and do things?  Like Knott's Berry Farm, or Miami Beach (I think I remember a beach?), or hell, even the friggin grocery store?   And they would interact with the public? Were there ever any dials of doom this season?  Was there anything except increasingly handsy and high Bobby and Giada in their ugly little studio, getting it wrong week after week?  

This show has given me a lot of entertainment, and it really helped me through the summer of 2008 when I was pregnant on bedrest. But what we just saw isn't that show any more. But also, Food Network today barely resembles Food Network in 2008.  Hope I'll see some of y'all around elsewhere. 

• Love 6

I just read above here that Tregaye already worked on the Kitchen Sink.  That being true, she should not have even been allowed to be a contestant.  I knew when I saw the wretched purple lipstick had been replaced with red she was going to win.  Kudos to those who already figured out the fix was in.

I just tried to watch the finale.  I just couldn't do it.  I predict they will find a place for Damiano somewhere.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

This may have been answered before, but once the contestants are eliminated from FN and Star Salvation, do they come home or stick around for whatever number of weeks are left?

They are sequestered somewhere until filming wraps.

• Love 1

This season was bad. There really wasn't a contestant that stood out as great. I ended up dropping the show a few weeks ago, but caught the last five minutes just to see who won. 

It's a shame that the baking lady was so much of a character because a how to baking show would have been nice. 

• Love 2

I felt a little cringey watching Bobby and Giada's outtakes since they were all handsey.   And glancey.  And googly eyed.  Dirty.  Toothy and Derrty.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. Thanks, HappyDancex2.

Edited by Janimo
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, dahling said:

Well, guys, it's been fun.  After the pilots, I FF'd to the end, and then removed this series from my DVR scheduled recordings.  What an embarrassment.

GAWD.  I need to remove this season from MY box... What a waste of time and memory.  Now I'll have more room to record OTHER, more INTERESTING things.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, mlp said:

Well, crap.  It's been obvious all along that Tregaye would win but I kept hoping for a big surprise.  I honestly thought that Damiano had the best pilot even though he is a bit hard to understand.  I'd watch him.  I'll never, ever watch Tregaye.  It's absolutely beyond me that anyone at FN finds her authentic or entertaining.  

I can speak for myself only but I can't stand her.  In fact, before Tregaye, she was my least favorite person on FN.  I now have to bump her up one notch.  The only times I ever see her are when she's acting as a judge on some show.   She comes across to me as a know-it-all who's very impressed with herself and she emotes like she's in a junior high school play.  

Exactly what I was going to say about d'Arabian---a know it all, and artificially packaged to sell (like the good ex-beauty contest personality that she is), I have never found her "authentic" in any way. She allegedly went to some program pre competition that churns out ready to go "television personalities," and she used her own mother's suicide as one of those personal sob stories that FN execs inexplicably love. All that said, there was no way she wasn't going to win her year--she is utterly charmless, but was a ready to go professional unlike the dreadful Tregaye.

• Love 4

SO, I go online today, and this is on my MSN page:  Bobby Flay and Giada De Laurentiis accused of rigging Food Network Star

Basically, a writer looked on social media and decided that anybody who doesn't agree with the results is a racist idiot.    But the idiot to me, is anyone who starts and article with these words "Food Network Star hosts Bobby Flay and Giada De Laurentiis have shared some adorable moments together."

• Love 9

This is not a defense of the mess we saw on the screen, but as it stands, FNS looks like a business success to me. Just eyeballing the last couple month's ratings, it looks like the show is consistently in the top thirty under fifty demo and it appears the show is watched live at a higher rate than most, something advertisers love.

I understand the frustration of those who care about actual cooking, but I don't think it's going to change because the network is probably pleased with the current results.

• Love 3

Man, that was annoying. And predictable! Tregaye was literally the only finalist who was asked, "How will winning this change your life?" That, plus the fact that they showed her "pilot" last totally telegraphed her win.

The thing that people don't seem to realize (from the comments) is that these weren't real pilots for their intended shows. First of all, they were 3 minutes long, which wasn't enough to time for them to have cooked anything, even if there had been a budget for that sort of thing. Plus, they were all identical, except that the places the finalists visited were supposedly tailored to their POV. Though, they didn't quite manage even that. Apparently they couldn't find an Italian bakery anywhere in LA for Damiano, so they sent him to a French bakery! What difference does it make?  Both countries are in Europe, the people have accents...interchangeable, really. But somehow they managed to find someplace "cute" for Tregaye and Cajun for Jernard. The pilots were just a low budget way to get the finalists to talk on camera and interact with people and basically show their charm or cuteness, or whatever it was they were selling.

Whatever fleeking show they do manage to conjure up for Tregaye, I will not be watching. Hopefully, Damiano will send up someplace that will appreciate him. Not the Food Network!

• Love 7

I don't understand needing Tregaye for "The Kitchen Sink".  I thought that show was supposed to be a spin-off of "The Kitchen" with two of the hosts from that show, not a new host.  It makes no sense to have a new host on a show that's a spin-off, especially when it uses the same set.  Plus I really don't see her as ideal for that kind of role (note that I don't really see her as ideal for any role, LOL).  If that's what they wanted her for, why wasn't this entire season of FNS geared toward that instead of everything else under the sun?  It just makes no sense to me.  Even if they were going for the diversity angle, Sunny already fills that spot on "The Kitchen".  Again, I'm boggled.

Speaking of diversity, I wonder if like my company, FN is under pressure from the Federal Government to increase its minority star representation.  It's no coincidence to me that we have two minority FNS winners two years in a row, one male and one female.  Another reason to add to the many I already have for believing that this show is completely fixed from day one.  BTW, managers in my dept. at work are presently being told they can't hire anyone unless they are "diverse" candidates.  I am sure my company would not be doing that unless the Federal Gov't. was threatening them in some way.

12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Was the behind the scenes clips of Giada and Bobby shown to convince all of the holdouts that they have slept together?

Oh, I know - I was always convinced just based on their on-screen behavior together and have posted here about that before.  Now it's even MORE glaringly apparent.  I feel like I'm watching something very personal going on there.  There is NO way that hasn't happened way more than once.   Body language is one of my specialties.

Anyway, I'm just as disappointed in this season as everyone else.  And I too missed Susie Fogelson, although I'm not surprised that neither she nor the new head woman at FN made any appearance.  It's just really sad and demoralizing.

• Love 1

Delurking to get on the Tregaye Hate Train.  She's nothing but a walking, talking, fleeking, popping stereotype and a bad one, at that. Damiano & Jennard's pilots were better than hers and either one of them would have been a better choice than her. Damiano & Jennard dodged a huge bullet, as far as I'm concerned. 

Ugh. Well, at least [Tregaye's] not Lenny.

A cold's not cancer, but they both suck. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 16

Still in the minority with Tregaye as I like her energy.  Do wish she would hold back on some of the slang experessions as it does get a little off putting but her energy and spunk is what FN is looking for in a host.  One who can keep the audience entertained and deliver the targeted product at hand.  This is how Guy was tapped and why he is all over FN hosting numerous shows.  It is his immense energy.  Tregaye has this as well which is why she was the favorite from day one.  Most of FN's shows are not so much about cooking as they are contests, roving shows and the like.  Most of their straight cooking shows are failing because they are as boring as golfing shows.

So now FN and NFNS constantly search for personality over food expertise (even though that is also a necessity).  Janard has that energy but would only appeal to a small audience.  Domiago was great eye candy but wasn't very good at articulating his point of view clearly to the audience. 

Tregaye with a little coaching can easily get up to Fieri level with her energetic personality. 

• Love 6

I'm with you Aging Goth.  Despite Giada and Bobby encouraging all the fleeky-poppin-keepin in cute-ish to her detrament, I liked her energy.   I think as long as she's comfortable being herself, she'll be fine hosting a show.  Although I think I'd prefer her in a show with multiple hosts/judges rather than just her.  

Eddie was not the best cook last season, but he had the best personality, most likability, and is quite the cutie.  He was an easy choice.  This season didn't really have anyone like that.  Several with personality, several with likability, a few cuties, but no one with all 3.  

• Love 5

I was a fan of Jenard's throughout the season, but last night's compilation of his "highlights" made him look foolish and ridiculous.  I hadn't noticed, on an episode-by-episode basis, how silly he was acting.  Was this a result of the producers trying to get more and more out of each contestant?  Probably, but he's the one who went along with it.

I've never been able to understand how overly hyped-up Bobby and Giada were to Jenard and Tregaye's antics.  They always looked like they were about to bust a gut laughing so hard at them.  Then again, they also kept saying what a warm and inviting person Diamano was, when all I saw week after week was a humorless perfectionist with an extremely high self-opinion.  Maybe Bobby and Giada thought that the harder they laughed, the more likely we viewers would be fooled into being entertained by them.

I miss Bob and Suzy!  Even that old lady they used to trot out for the season finale was absent last night.  Who's considered "the network" these days--a bunch of accountants and nameless executive?

Does the "winner" even get the 6 episode series of their own as a prize anymore?

Of the three finalists, Tregaye was probably "the best"***

*** - graded on a STEEP curve.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, mlp said:

Well, crap.  It's been obvious all along that Tregaye would win but I kept hoping for a big surprise.  I honestly thought that Damiano had the best pilot even though he is a bit hard to understand.  I'd watch him.  I'll never, ever watch Tregaye.  It's absolutely beyond me that anyone at FN finds her authentic or entertaining.  

I can speak for myself only but I can't stand her.  In fact, before Tregaye, she was my least favorite person on FN.  I now have to bump her up one notch.  The only times I ever see her are when she's acting as a judge on some show.   She comes across to me as a know-it-all who's very impressed with herself and she emotes like she's in a junior high school play.  

Agree with you totally on both Tregaye and Melissa, who I thought was a total phony, constantly working the sympathy angle, telling conflicting sob stories and hiding her privileged background. But she was polished and articulate, and I can see why the judges (and Bob and Susie) would have chosen her to appeal to the soccer mom demographic.

But FN's love affair with Tregaye is a total mystery to me. She's like the 2016 equivalent of the horribly stereotyped black maids you see in old Hollywood movies. If her selection is supposed to be about bringing "diversity" to FN, the sad truth is that her appeal will probably be to white people who enjoy laughing at that kind of stereotyped behavior, in part because it makes them feel superior.

Of course some idiot got on social media saying that if you don't like Tregaye it has to be because you're racist. In my opinion, the real racism was exhibited by Bobby and Giada, and whoever else is calling the shots on FN, in laughing at and encouraging Tregaye and Jennnard to act like buffoons for their amusement.

Aside from that, Tregaye went through an entire season without even being required to explain her culinary POV, or display any real expertise about food.

I confess that I didn't even watch the final episode, since if yelling "yassssss" through half her presentation last week didn't get Tregaye canned, there was no doubt she was the winner. I came to this forum hoping a miracle would happen, but no chance.

Finally, if Tregaye has already been taping episodes of an FN show, then no way should she have been allowed to compete on FN Star. This network has zero credibility and zero integrity. FN Star has had some bad seasons in the past, but even in the year that Lenny was the winner, they still made contestants compete in some meaningful food-based challenges. Now it's all about "personality," and this season was so dumbed down I can't imagine the show will recover. Especially if Bobby and Giada are again the only judges.

• Love 10

Like many other seasons (Jeff Mauro being a glaring exception), The Network already has a position/show/POV that the winner of this show must follow. Even Guy didn't get "Off the Hook." This season, they needed a female to fill in for what appears to be Kathie Lee's spot on The Kitchen Sink. Good luck to Tregaye, who will be paired with Zakarian. That will be a be a shitshow of clashing personalities. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Aging Goth said:

Still in the minority with Tregaye as I like her energy.  Do wish she would hold back on some of the slang experessions as it does get a little off putting but her energy and spunk is what FN is looking for in a host.  One who can keep the audience entertained and deliver the targeted product at hand.  This is how Guy was tapped and why he is all over FN hosting numerous shows.  It is his immense energy.  Tregaye has this as well which is why she was the favorite from day one.  Most of FN's shows are not so much about cooking as they are contests, roving shows and the like.  Most of their straight cooking shows are failing because they are as boring as golfing shows.

1 hour ago, Gregg247 said:

I was a fan of Jenard's throughout the season, but last night's compilation of his "highlights" made him look foolish and ridiculous.  I hadn't noticed, on an episode-by-episode basis, how silly he was acting.  Was this a result of the producers trying to get more and more out of each contestant?  Probably, but he's the one who went along with it.

I've never been able to understand how overly hyped-up Bobby and Giada were to Jenard and Tregaye's antics.  They always looked like they were about to bust a gut laughing so hard at them.  Then again, they also kept saying what a warm and inviting person Diamano was, when all I saw week after week was a humorless perfectionist with an extremely high self-opinion.  Maybe Bobby and Giada thought that the harder they laughed, the more likely we viewers would be fooled into being entertained by them.

41 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

But FN's love affair with Tregaye is a total mystery to me. She's like the 2016 equivalent of the horribly stereotyped black maids you see in old Hollywood movies. If her selection is supposed to be about bringing "diversity" to FN, the sad truth is that her appeal will probably be to white people who enjoy laughing at that kind of stereotyped behavior, in part because it makes them feel superior.

Of course some idiot got on social media saying that if you don't like Tregaye it has to be because you're racist. In my opinion, the real racism was exhibited by Bobby and Giada, and whoever else is calling the shots on FN, in laughing at and encouraging Tregaye and Jennnard to act like buffoons for their amusement.

Aside from that, Tregaye went through an entire season without even being required to explain her culinary POV, or display any real expertise about food.

I confess that I didn't even watch the final episode, since if yelling "yassssss" through half her presentation last week didn't get Tregaye canned, there was no doubt she was the winner. I came to this forum hoping a miracle would happen, but no chance.

Finally, if Tregaye has already been taping episodes of an FN show, then no way should she have been allowed to compete on FN Star. This network has zero credibility and zero integrity. FN Star has had some bad seasons in the past, but even in the year that Lenny was the winner, they still made contestants compete in some meaningful food-based challenges. Now it's all about "personality," and this season was so dumbed down I can't imagine the show will recover. Especially if Bobby and Giada are again the only judges.

Jernard before the competition. " I cook with love...for my family and friends and that's why they call me the love chef".

Jernard after FNS coaching-"Butterflied on the inside" does a little dance 'I'ma  gonna put a baby in you after you eat my food".

Damiano before the competition "Baker with classical European training"...slight accent.

Damiano after FNS coaching- "Thatsa Spicy Meatballa"..."En Italia we get ze ingredeintsa from a fresha fielda" gives cheesy smiles to the camera as Giada drools.

Tregaye before the competition "Whimsical chef with a spark"

Tregaye after FNS coaching- "Fleekety Fleek Fleek, Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas"-we have a winner!

• Love 22

Jumping in with my own tin-foil hat theory:  The show wasn't a real competition at all, but a vehicle to introduce Tregaye to the FN viewers (who hadn't already seen her) in preparation of "her show."  While she drove me nuts on this show, and I can't imagine watching any show she's on, she does have "personality" and can cook good food on a pretty predictable basis. To me, those are the two things necessary for me to watch. There used to be a baking show (Gail Gand?) , and it was quiet, and calm, and had good food, but wasn't something I wanted to watch on a regular basis, and I wouldn't jump up and start baking.  So I can appreciate how Tregaye may what they were looking for.  But it was not competition, in my book.

Having said that, "on fleek" in the title of a show?! Oh good heavens!  Who on earth would see that in the show listings and say - "Wow! A great new must-see show for me!" Just can not imagine.

And for as much as I would not watch her show based on what we saw here,

Good luck to Tregaye, who will be paired with Zakarian.

THIS may just get me tuned in.  I can only imagine what that combination would look like! (And wouldn't you want a cohost part of the decision process? Don't they need to have some chemistry to work well together?)

• Love 2
15 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Ok, so Tregaye is not going to have a real show? It is going to be an online show? 

I did almost call it a couple weeks ago. Bringing in Hannah Hart and Mythical Morning as "celebrities" indicated that they're treating online content as legitimate. Which it is - Rosanna Pansino certainly shows that, among others.  But given that Food Network could be considered a competitor to YouTube channels, I don't think they'd be giving them publicity unless their intent is to appeal to online audiences specifically.

So putting the winner on an online show works with that vibe I'd been getting.  (And is consistent with FN's horrible attempts to represent what they think millennials like.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Good luck to Tregaye, who will be paired with Zakarian. That will be a be a shitshow of clashing personalities. 

Interesting.  As I'm caught often watching some of Cooks v Cons I am amazed at the transformation that the previously debonair Hampton-like air of superiority Mr. Zakarian had also succombed to the Dancing Bear machinations of Food Network.  The intro he does for Cooks v Cons is so shouty and over the top that it is beyond fake (if you saw Zakarian before).   And during the show he is equally "over energied" to the point of annoyance.  Sure he's had a lot of legal troubles and bad press but couldn't he at least be himself as he hosts some of these shows?  Why does everyone have to be so shouty???????

In the immortal words of Elaine Benes....FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE.

• Love 11
33 minutes ago, Amarsir said:

I did almost call it a couple weeks ago. Bringing in Hannah Hart and Mythical Morning as "celebrities" indicated that they're treating online content as legitimate. Which it is - Rosanna Pansino certainly shows that, among others.  But given that Food Network could be considered a competitor to YouTube channels, I don't think they'd be giving them publicity unless their intent is to appeal to online audiences specifically.

I have no idea how legitimate this information is, but I have heard that basic cable and satellite tv is going to die a slow death to streaming networks.  In the future there might not be a Food Network Channel, but a bunch of shows for you to stream at your leisure.  This might be why they are trying to change up their formatting style?  

Again, this is pure speculation.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Good luck to Tregaye, who will be paired with Zakarian.

God, that has to the last combination I'd ever want to watch on Food Network...cannot stand that man. As far I'm concerned, the season of Next Iron Chef where he won was as telegraphed as Tregaye's win. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I have no idea how legitimate this information is, but I have heard that basic cable and satellite tv is going to die a slow death to streaming networks.  In the future there might not be a Food Network Channel, but a bunch of shows for you to stream at your leisure.  This might be why they are trying to change up their formatting style?  

Again, this is pure speculation.

I'd say that's pretty much inevitable. Right now enough people watch live television, thus enabling commercials, that it calls the shots. But it's a generational thing. Millennials have already hit the tipping point:

Percentage-of-Weekly-Viewing-Traditional

Eventually the overall market will flip, simply by population rotating. When it does, online access will be the primary driver for networks and streaming eyeballs will be the ones they compete for.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Interesting.  As I'm caught often watching some of Cooks v Cons I am amazed at the transformation that the previously debonair Hampton-like air of superiority Mr. Zakarian had also succombed to the Dancing Bear machinations of Food Network.  The intro he does for Cooks v Cons is so shouty and over the top that it is beyond fake (if you saw Zakarian before).   And during the show he is equally "over energied" to the point of annoyance.  Sure he's had a lot of legal troubles and bad press but couldn't he at least be himself as he hosts some of these shows?  Why does everyone have to be so shouty???????

In the immortal words of Elaine Benes....FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE.

I don't watch that show, so I didn't realize he'd also become a caricature. I was going on early seasons of The Kitchen, when it was in its infancy and had Sunny and Jeff to rely on for buffonery (both worked as stand-up comics, IIRC). 

I am also going on the Tregaye/Jeffrey pairing based on the way they divvied up Season One of the online show. Sunny, Jeff, and Marcella hosted half, Jeffrey and Katie the other half. I don't think they'd put the two African American women together, given they're the only two FN has in its stable, and I can't see them pairing her with Jeff, who can be far too much like her on occasion. Remember how he won his season being the relatable, lovable clown. Tregaye? She ended up being just a clown. I follow tons of athletes on Instagram, and NONE of their young followers use "on fleek" anymore. LAST year, they used it all the time, especially to compliment Serena Williams' eyebrows. So, they got a younger host, but one still hopelessly out of touch. 

Didn't even bother watching the finale because I knew Tregaye was going to win even though she had a horrible pilot and really copped out with her lack of interaction with the chef at the restaurant she was visiting. I also don't understand the point of wanting contestants to have a theme that they work with all season long only to give them a finale pilot challenge that's more like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives instead of an actual cooking show (which is what all of their concepts were centred around). It just plays to the fact that this competition itself is the real win for Food Network...not finding a new star to sell on the network. 

The thing with Tregaye (aside from the fact, as has been mentioned, that "on fleek" stopped being a thing like a year ago) is that she does have a FN personality, but without Bob and Suzie around, she didn't get the boot camp treatment, and the show just isn't the same for me without that. They would've questioned her use of senseless slang to make her really verbalize a POV in plain English. Plus, remember the days when they actually made contestants film a full 30-minute pilot with cooking included? I haven't watched since the Justin Warner season but it's just not the same without Bob and Suze (plus the way Giada practically orgasmed every time she said "Daaaaa-mee-AHHHHH-nohhhhh" makes me suicidal).

• Love 4

True, if they were still actually training/teaching these idiots how to do the job I think Tregaye could get there. she needs someone to tell her she looks a damn fool using words teenages used a year ago. It's embarrassing. But she's got personality, she's got screen presences. She has the bones to be a star but she's only got Bobbie and Giada sitting there laughing at her and not really teaching her anything.

They all pretty much sucked and this is just a game show anyway, so I can't get all up in arms about who won or didn't. I just don't care enough. This show is the poster child for the dumbing down of the entire network.

• Love 1

It was really interesting to me that Bobby and Giada didn't ask anyone what they thought of Dominado's pilot (as is obvious, I don't really know anyone's name as I don't really watch this that closely); and the looks of real surprise from the eliminated contestants when he was let go in third place.  I think that some of the contestants didn't know that the fix was in.  While watching the pilots (I fast forwarded pretty much everything else) I noticed that Tregaye wasn't physically featured much in her pilot while Jenard and Dominado were heavily featured in their pilots.  

I'll watch again next year, but will be ashamed of myself for doing so.

• Love 1

I've had to go through and hide some things that was leaning towards argumentative and off-topic as well as responses to those posts. Let's remember to keep it civil and keep it in-topic. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

It was really interesting to me that Bobby and Giada didn't ask anyone what they thought of Dominado's pilot

I actually thought Damiano's was the best. It is a shame his accent is so thick because he showed some real presence in his pilot. He tasted food, then went in back to meet the chef and learn how to make it, he was involved, kept talk going between him and the chef and it felt like sitting back and watching too bakers do their thing. It had a less obnoxious vibe than either of the others, and less of a ME ME IT IS ALL ABOUT MEEEEEEE! Vibe as well. But his accent is far too thick to appeal to that "middle America" this show aims towards, or people who are tuning in casually and don't want to struggle to follow along. Food Network does not respect it's audience so they went with the most cartoonish, children's presenter personality they could find.

• Love 3