Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 08/01/2016

Jaded
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, rcc said:

I know it is hard to feel sorry for someone who won't help themselves but that is the culture of Paula's religion. I still feel bad for her nonetheless.

I don't feel bad for Paula.  Not one bit.  I have no sympathy for someone who has the legal, social, and economic ability to reject oppression but instead voluntarily - even happily- chooses to be oppressed every day.  And that is just what she does every time she cedes her power to her husband because he was born with a penis and her church says that means he gets to call the shots in their marriage.

It's not like she was raised in isolation in some polygamist cult and has no idea it's possible to live another way. She doesn't live in a culture where it's the LAW she has to submit to her husband's authority or face punishment.  I suppose the church she was raised in has trained her to think this way, teaching her the Bible requires her to be submissive.  But Paula is a worldly, educated woman.  She surely realizes that her church, like most others, does not strictly adhere to Biblical edicts 100% of the time.  And she herself clearly doesn't.  Otherwise she would not have short hair, wear pants, or speak up in her church. All those things are prohibited in the Bible, but that doesn't seem to bother Paula. Has she never eaten shellfish or pork or worked on the sabbath?  C'mon.  

It's Paula's choice to buy into this kind of Biblical cherry picking and submit herself to the whole husband-as-headship crap when she doesn't have to.  I don't care if her church has jammed it down her throat.  She doesn't have to swallow it.  If that means she ends up holding the shitty end of the stick at home, that's on her.  I will save my sympathy up for the women who have no choice about being second class citizens with no control at all over their own lives.  I got no pity for this chick, none at all. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Fisher King said:

Good catch Fisher King!!!

4 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I don't feel bad for Paula.  Not one bit.  I have no sympathy for someone who has the legal, social, and economic ability to reject oppression but instead voluntarily - even happily- chooses to be oppressed every day.  And that is just what she does every time she cedes her power to her husband because he was born with a penis and her church says that means he gets to call the shots in their marriage.

It's not like she was raised in isolation in some polygamist cult and has no idea it's possible to live another way. She doesn't live in a culture where it's the LAW she has to submit to her husband's authority or face punishment.  I suppose the church she was raised in has trained her to think this way, teaching her the Bible requires her to be submissive.  But Paula is a worldly, educated woman.  She surely realizes that her church, like most others, does not strictly adhere to Biblical edicts 100% of the time.  And she herself clearly doesn't.  Otherwise she would not have short hair, wear pants, or speak up in her church. All those things are prohibited in the Bible, but that doesn't seem to bother Paula. Has she never eaten shellfish or pork or worked on the sabbath?  C'mon.  

It's Paula's choice to buy into this kind of Biblical cherry picking and submit herself to the whole husband-as-headship crap when she doesn't have to.  I don't care if her church has jammed it down her throat.  She doesn't have to swallow it.  If that means she ends up holding the shitty end of the stick at home, that's on her.  I will save my sympathy up for the women who have no choice about being second class citizens with no control at all over their own lives.  I got no pity for this chick, none at all. 

I TOTALLY agree with everything you said Celia, but must add:

1.  Paula has said that her marriage was "saved" by family counselling at her church.  How much do you want to bet it was a male counsellor?

2.  Paula has said that Sundays are "ministry days".  I like(d) sex as much as the next woman, but don't count on me for a specific day of the week!!!

3.  It sounds like she can bring home the bacon & fry up the eggs too.  One of my husbands said "You are zee woman & you WILL do it!"  Guess how that ended?  If he's not going to help her NOW, what can she expect if she becomes ill & is unable to "contribute".  Just sayin'.

I have other thoughts, but I'll keep them to myself.

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

1.  Paula has said that her marriage was "saved" by family counselling at her church.  How much do you want to bet it was a male counsellor?

And how much do you want to bet that the bulk of the "counseling" was directed at adjusting Paula's attitude, rather than her husband's?  

I'm not surprised they needed the help, though, to be honest.  It probably took a lot of work to get Paula to learn to enjoy being put in her place by her husband, you know, when she gets all "strong and stubborn."  Having her own opinion and not automatically doing everything she is told are habits that can take a long time to break.  Thank god Paula's church was there for her. She might have actually walked around the rest of her life believing she was entitled to decline having sex on a Sunday if she didn't feel like it.  The whole fabric of her marriage might become irreparably unstitched! 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, Fannysue said:

Does  anyone else think the "medium" or whatever else he calls himself, stunk?????

I wish the people being 'read' didn't offer so much information.  They're so eager to tell their stories, they even tell it to the "medium".

Edited by bagatelle
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

And how much do you want to bet that the bulk of the "counseling" was directed at adjusting Paula's attitude, rather than her husband's?  

I'm not surprised they needed the help, though, to be honest.  It probably took a lot of work to get Paula to learn to enjoy being put in her place by her husband, you know, when she gets all "strong and stubborn."  Having her own opinion and not automatically doing everything she is told are habits that can take a long time to break.  Thank god Paula's church was there for her. She might have actually walked around the rest of her life believing she was entitled to decline having sex on a Sunday if she didn't feel like it.  The whole fabric of her marriage might become irreparably unstitched! 

The word "brainwashed" comes to mind, but .... that's just me!!!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Fisher King said:

Nice teleprompter reading there Miss Whoopi.   I'm glad I got to see that because Paula also said things about arguing respectfully, and of course the best part of an argument - make up sex, LOL.      Of course she had to add that she liked it when her husband put her in her place now and then, which isn't good but I wonder if she didn't mean when he's right rather than put me in my place.  Oh who am I kidding, she said it and she probably meant it.   Blech.  

But it should come as no surprise that like many here, I found the most offensive part of that conversation was Miss Whoopi Goldberg lecturing these four women- who are all in self described working relationships (and three that have kids at home)  - on how to make a marriage work.  THAT is completely laughable to me.  STFU Miss Whoopi.  

• Love 14
8 hours ago, Fannysue said:

Does  anyone else think the "medium" or whatever else he calls himself, stunk?????

Yes.

7 hours ago, bagatelle said:

I wish the people being 'read' didn't offer so much information.  They're so eager to tell their stories, they even tell it to the "medium".

Raven and Sarah are naive enough to think he pulled the info out of thin air (or rather, was listening to spirits).  They had no idea they were feeding him clues with their comments and facial expressions.  Ok, so if "readings from the dead" give them comfort it's harmless enough, but I hope they look back at the tape and see how they provided him everything he needed.  (What the heck was with the toothbrush as a tool to contact the dearly departed?  Weird.)  That's why I said above I wished Joy had been "read."  She would have sat stone faced, giving only yes and no as answers.  Turn THAT into something, boy medium.

• Love 6

Paula's only argument for taking women back into the dark ages is the great make-up sex she keeps talking about.....no one can counter a testament like that and she plays it for all it's worth!  GMAB, Paula is an ass!  I wish they would bring the husbands on so the other co-hosts can call out their mideavil times behavior!  LOL

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Yes.

Raven and Sarah are naive enough to think he pulled the info out of thin air (or rather, was listening to spirits).  They had no idea they were feeding him clues with their comments and facial expressions.  Ok, so if "readings from the dead" give them comfort it's harmless enough, but I hope they look back at the tape and see how they provided him everything he needed.  (What the heck was with the toothbrush as a tool to contact the dearly departed?  Weird.)  That's why I said above I wished Joy had been "read."  She would have sat stone faced, giving only yes and no as answers.  Turn THAT into something, boy medium.

What? No appearance of Oda Mae Brown channeling? With the "Damn baby, what'd you do to your hair?!"

oh wait. I forgot-Whoopi hates any references to Ghost unless they're talking about how Patrick fought for her to get the role. I still remember the dirty look Whoopi gave Sara when Sara quoted "Molly. You in danger, Girl" when gushing ass kissing the Stah's butt during the "favorite quotes by Whoopi' several months ago.

• Love 2

Whoopi does not know what the F she's talking about. Let Sunny take the lead on the legal discussions. And Joy's right, it's not both sides and the R's are responsible for the obstructionism and it does matter who started it.

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yes.

Yes, and pick someone from way back in Joy's family, somewhere in Italy, who isn't googleable.

• Love 3

Whoop was especially nonsensical today.  I didn't understand half of what she was saying or what point she was trying to make.  Especially the stuff about the Supreme Court.  But I suspect she didn't know what she was talking about either, so I guess it's okay.  

However it is nice to know that she and her clan are above petty concerns like being called "fat" or ugly or whatever else the the rest of us peons waste our time worrying about.  I don't think I could get through the day if Whoopi didn't remind me at least once how much better than me she is. She is really is a shining beacon of moral and spiritual perfection.  It's really generous of her to constantly remind everyone of her superiority.  It gives us something to aspire to! 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, pachebo said:

As for Whoopi sitting in the center, my guess is that she stumbled upon a picture of Da Vinci's "the last supper" and had a light bulb over the head moment.

I can only guess it’s one of two things. Either the people behind the scenes thought maybe she’d be less domineering and more respectful of her co-hosts if she was in the middle, or she threw a diva fit because Joy had been in the center and in nearly every shot—because this is the Whoopi show, dammit!!! The sad part is the latter doesn't sound that unbelievable.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Whoop was especially nonsensical today.  I didn't understand half of what she was saying or what point she was trying to make.  Especially the stuff about the Supreme Court.  But I suspect she didn't know what she was talking about either, so I guess it's okay.  

However it is nice to know that she and her clan are above petty concerns like being called "fat" or ugly or whatever else the the rest of us peons waste our time worrying about.  I don't think I could get through the day if Whoopi didn't remind me at least once how much better than me she is. She is really is a shining beacon of moral and spiritual perfection.  It's really generous of her to constantly remind everyone of her superiority.  It gives us something to aspire to! 

When The Whoopster starts preaching, I'm reminded of a quote:   "When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished."  (Tommy Smothers)

Edited because I found the exact quote.  Yay!!!

Edited by Medicine Crow
Typo.
  • Love 16
23 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I'm not sure what the point is, either.  It seemed as if she had been removed from her little throne in a way, didn't it?  LOL

I did notice that when Whooper sits in the middle, she can't do that condescending, smug side-eye thing to the audience she loves to do when she doesn't like something someone is saying.  Gawd I hate when she does that.  I don't care if I think what someone is saying is dumb, too.  That's just so rude ...  she just has to let everyone know she thinks someone is being SOOOOOO ignorant and she knows everyone in the audience must agree with her and share her scorn for whatever opinion is being given.  It's arrogant, presumptuous, and incredibly disrespectful of her fellow panelists. 

I hope they keep her in the middle from now on.  Make the Queen Bee sit among the commoners and keep her stink eye to herself! 

It was strange to see Whoopi in the middle, and I didn't watch closely enough to see if they explained it.  Whoopi has been on this show since 07, right?  Then to suddenly move her seating to the middle?  My theory is she actually watched the show one day and saw that she looked HUGE from the side angle so insisted sitting in the middle.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, bannana said:

It was strange to see Whoopi in the middle, and I didn't watch closely enough to see if they explained it.  Whoopi has been on this show since 07, right?  Then to suddenly move her seating to the middle?  My theory is she actually watched the show one day and saw that she looked HUGE from the side angle so insisted sitting in the middle.

Maybe she saw how bad her hairline looks on the right side.   there are times when it looks like she's hiding a serious bald spot under those braids.

• Love 4

JMO - but perhaps Whoopi wanted to be in the middle because that is where celebrities sit and they always seem to really enjoy sitting by Joy and chat directly with her. Guess we'll see when they returned where Whoopi sits.

• Love 2