Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 08/01/2016

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Good show today. Why can't ABC see this!!!

Everybody, even Raven with the new glasses, are at ease with each other. They can disagree without being hostile. After the View was a joy to watch as usual. I've said it before but Raven is much better without the bitch in charge.

The show is so much better with Joy in charge! No airhead Sara Haines today so it was good to watch.

Even Jediasdfghjkl wasn't as bad as usual but she is still there to stay! UGH. I swear they turn up her mic.

• Love 3

I know it's been said before, but Raven is very strange for thinking she is young, and that we should be impressed she knew about the Marilyn Monroe Happy Birthday impression.  

At least Jedediah sometimes says negative things about Republicans, that's something.

It's interesting that even the opening addresses that the show is anti-Trump.  I like it though.  What a weird election, thank god it's like less than 100 days away.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 6

I don't think Penn Jillette and Joy are the best of friends. I can't believe he dismissed her like that and turned to Sara and/or Raven. Joy rolled her eyes. lol

Don't know much about him but he seems loud and obnoxious.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, backformore said:

yep, like it was a costume for a part she is playing.

The part of “smart girl relevant to an intelligent discussion.” But Raven is not that good of an actress to pull it off. She's still stupid as ever.

All she and Jillette care about is that they feel good about themselves, even if it means they condemn the rest of the country to a Trump presidency like Joy argued. Unfortunately, I think there are plenty of people as stupid as Raven out there.

And Paula starts it up again--"Poor Max!" We know you only care about the men in any given situation, you don't have to announce it regularly. And I don't find the whole "penises are ugly" schtick that you often see on fluff shows like this funny, but thanks for trying, Sara. I would not find Katy Perry's inflated balloons attractive.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

Penn Jillette is always like that.  He's obnoxious and one of those people who are never wrong.  I wouldn't be surprised if he used his size to bully people when he was younger.  

He was like that on Celebrity Apprentice. I remember Clay Aiken telling him he was being condescending. Penn's response was to say something like "I'm not being condescending, I'm being arrogant, there's a difference."   Which was kind of a condescending response.  

• Love 9

My God that Raven is so bloody childish!! The way she was defending that stupid POS reality show with Mariah Carey?!! I know they were batting around reasons that Carey would even consider doing something so wretched and I think that in her case, probably as with most, the biggest reason is EGO and Carey has an abundance of that! So it figures that a vapid dumb ass like Raven is a big fan of these freak shows. 

If the glasses are an attempt to look intelligent? Sorry, honey, but you have failed.....MISERABLY.

So Paula and Jed are going to be regulars next season?!!! True? OMG.....I really don't know if I can keep watching. I don't know how much of those two I can take on a five-day-a-week basis. <Cringe>

• Love 7

Raven and her glasses remind me of that Designing Women episode where Charlene was going to college and wore glasses so she would look smarter.  It didn't work for Charlene and it isn't working for Raven, either.  She is just painfully stupid.  She just doesn't "get" stuff. Like today when Joy was talking about how Gary Johnson was comparable to Ralph Nader in terms of being  a spoiler.  It just went over her head.  I would wager Raven has absolutely no clue what Joy was referring to.  She certainly didn't respond in a meaningful way.  She just called Joy "unfair" and implied that everyone should make allowances for her because (at age 30) she still "new" to this politics stuff so she should be able to vote however she wants without regard to how it effects "some poll."   Like she is entitled to be emotional and naive when casting her ballot because she is a voting virgin or something (after 12 years of eligibility).  Raven, it's not "some poll," it's the election of the leader of the free world and you might want to take it more seriously than the average five-year-old who is going to stomp her little foot and do what she wants to do because she can and nobody can stop her. 

I may not agree with him, but Penn was at least able to articulate some kind of reasoning behind choosing to not let the spoiler potential of Johnson effect his choice to vote for him. I may not agree with it, but I at least understand why he feels that way.  I noticed Raven smirking while Penn was explaining his reasoning like she was feeling vindicated.  As if she had put one ten-thousandth the thought into it Penn has.  What a smug little brat she is.  

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 14
28 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I wonder if she will be on GMA more often. She seems to be on more often filling in for absent anchors. 

She did allude to that on her instagram account. She was on GMA this morning with Robin and Dan.

Once again I loved that Sunny came prepared, having contacted the boss of the attorney for clarification of the statements regarding Melania's immigration status.  Now, that is journalism!  (Why can't she be a full timer???)

• Love 17

When talking about why Mariah Carey would want to do a reality show, why did Paula suggest it couldn't be for the money because Mariah is about to marry a really rich guy?  Mariah Carey is worth a reported half-billion herself.  Why does Paula think Mariah's decision would be based upon how much money her fiance has?  

There is just something about the way Paula seems to relate to subject of men that makes me uncomfortable. The whole story about teaching her daughter how to manipulate her father was appalling.  Who coaches their little girl to be guileful towards men that way?  Paula damn well should regret doing it.  That's a bell she can never un-ring. And the way she felt compelled to defend the penises of men all over the world against Sara's comparing their dicks to a thumb.  She was smiling, but there was a genuine air of sympathy for the poor derided men of the world about her.  It felt like she really wanted to speak up for men and their genitals against this horrible insult Sara was making.  It was just weird. 

Paula has struck me for a while now as incredibly preoccupied with protecting men and defending men and elevating men ...  I know she comes from a really conservative religious background.  Does she feel some kind of guilt for not being at home barefoot and pregnant slaving over a hot stove or something?  Is all this her way of apologizing for being a successful (professional) woman?  Or is she just unbelievably sexist?  

While I am on the subject of Paula ... can we take up a collection so we can send Sunny a dozen roses for absolutely humiliating her when discussing the Melania Trump/Visa issue?  Paula actually thought she was going to get badass on Sunny by quoting some lawyer who was defending Melania in the story.  She had her notes clutched in her little fist and couldn't wait to spit them out, lol.  But Sunny HAD DONE HER HOMEWORK (™ Whoopi Goldberg) and spoken to this lawyer's boss last night and made Paula EAT her little blue cards.  You could hear the audience snort in derision.  It was heaven!  It was one of the best take-downs I have ever seen on this show! 

Sunny Hostin is NOT the one Paula, not the one ...

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
because her name is spelled "Melania," not Melanie dammit
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Once again I loved that Sunny came prepared, having contacted the boss of the attorney for clarification of the statements regarding Melania's immigration status.  Now, that is journalism!  (Why can't she be a full timer???)

You are absolutely right ... the panelist who came across as a real "journalist" was Sunny, not Paula.  Paula was merely regurgitating quotes from a story that had been reported somewhere else.  That's not journalism.  Sunny, on the other hand, dug deeper and found her own, better source that had superior knowledge.  THAT is what a real journalist does. 

Suck it, Paula! 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

While I am on the subject of Paula ... can we take up a collection so we can send Sunny a dozen roses for absolutely humiliating her when discussing the Melanie Trump/Visa issue?  Paula actually thought she was going to get badass on Sunny by quoting some lawyer who was defending Melanie in the story.  She had her notes clutched in her little fist and couldn't wait to spit them out, lol.  But Sunny HAD DONE HER HOMEWORK (™ Whoopi Goldberg) and spoken to this lawyer's boss last night and made Paula EAT her little blue cards.  You could hear the audience snort in derision.  It was heaven!  It was one of the best take-downs I have ever seen on this show! 

Sunny Hostin is NOT the one Paula, not the one ...

Love the whole post but this part in particular is golden.  Two thumbs up!  Way, way up!! 

[clapping hands emoticon/]

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

And another winning post.  [the crowd chants Jour-na-lism, Jour-na-lism.../]

I'd like to think that the producers recognized the importance of having someone as intelligent, informed, fair-minded and prepared as Sunny and begged her to come on board full-time.  But she had other irons in the fire and could only make herself available part-time.  BUT knowing what a train wreck the casting has been and keeps continuing to be, I'm sure they decided, "Nah, not young and stupid enough, not religious enough, not conservative enough, not controversial enough, etc, let's take a pass".  Truly a shame that the likes of Raven, Candace and Jedi get a full time deal and someone with Sunny's qualifications are just a fill in for whenever...

Edited by onthebrink03
  • Love 10
On 8/4/2016 at 4:44 PM, Morbs said:

Raven is very strange for thinking she is young, and that we should be impressed she knew about the Marilyn Monroe Happy Birthday impression.  

That "impression" really mad me dislike Raven.  I was neutral about her before that, but that was too much.  She didn't seem to understand how inappropriate that was.  I liked this show better with Rosie O.  Other than Joy, the rest of them can all go jump in a lake, and I didn't like Joy way back when I first watched the show.   How can this show get cancelled?  Is it a news department show or what?

• Love 1

Correct me if I am wrong - but Johnson can't be part of the debates without an average of 15% in the polls - and he (or Stein) would need that to get national attention, imo. I can't stand how ignorant Raven is and I'm tired of hearing how "young" she is and just now getting involved in politics. Getting involved can taked a very long time, decades - just stop talking about it Raven! A waste of time  - we KNOW it already.

I was iffy on Paula.....after today I am sick of her. She is venturing into Bitsy territory.

• Love 7

Personally, I found Paula's "suck up to Daddy" story quite creepy & slightly sickening.  She's a "piece of work" & raising a daughter to do that is beyond the pale.  For the record, when I was a teenager, I used to kiss the top of my Dad's bald head when I was going out for the evening.  I adored him & he chuckled when I did it. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Medicine Crow said:

Personally, I found Paula's "suck up to Daddy" story quite creepy & slightly sickening.  She's a "piece of work" & raising a daughter to do that is beyond the pale.  For the record, when I was a teenager, I used to kiss the top of my Dad's bald head when I was going out for the evening.  I adored him & he chuckled when I did it. 

It made me uncomfortable to hear her say that out loud..She reminded me of Sherry Shepherd who would say things better left unsaid about her ex-husbands and child...I think it is the first time that I have ever witness a woman who is sexist against her own sex.. I know that it exists, but, it was really sad to behold.. I think it is that evangelical way of thinking that women are meant to be subservient  to men, as punishment that goes back to Eve tempting Adam to sin...It is also that mindset that pushes men to oppress women around the world. It is truly sad.....

• Love 6

Crap - hated to agree. My Dad was not demonstrative except to consoling me after we had to give away Bee (dog) or rescuing my gold fish after flying behind the dryer, etc. But I was never taught to climb in his lap and cajole him with girly wiles. Holy crap.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, dinkysquid said:

My God that Raven is so bloody childish!! The way she was defending that stupid POS reality show with Mariah Carey?!! I know they were batting around reasons that Carey would even consider doing something so wretched and I think that in her case, probably as with most, the biggest reason is EGO and Carey has an abundance of that! So it figures that a vapid dumb ass like Raven is a big fan of these freak shows. 

Raven's answer to why Mariah Carey would do a reality show by referencing Paula Abdul's similar attempt at reality TV.   Good comparison, actually.  Paula Abdul was shown to be a vapid, self-absorbed moron who was rude to people, always late to appearances for no reason, and spent more time running from place to place whining about how busy she was than she spent actually DOING anything.  NOBODY could have watched that show and come away with a positive view of her.  I bet Mariah's show is going down a similar path. 

Raven said a reality show "improves your relevancy" - I'd love to know what the hell that is supposed to mean.

7 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

She certainly didn't respond in a meaningful way.  She just called Joy "unfair" and implied that everyone should make allowances for her because (at age 30) she still "new" to this politics stuff so she should be able to vote however she wants without regard to how it effects "some poll."  

Yeah, she really didn't get the point at all.  When the votes are cast, the "polling"  is over.  Votes don't affect polls.  Does she really not understand the difference between a POLL and an ELECTION? 

THe entire show, I was distracted by Raven's lipstick. Is that a new thing?  She had a light pinkish color in the middle,, blended out to a violet in the corners. It's actually a very striking look.  I couldn't decide if I liked it or hated it.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, maggiemae said:

Crap - hated to agree. My Dad was not demonstrative except to consoling me after we had to give away Bee (dog) or rescuing my gold fish after flying behind the dryer, etc. But I was never taught to climb in his lap and cajole him with girly wiles. Holy crap.

If I saw my daughter working her dad that way - trying to get him to do something for her by kissing and snuggling on him and telling him how wonderful he was - and I knew it was all an act she was putting on to manipulate him, I'd be disturbed and question myself as a female role model.  I don't know how you could actually advise your daughter conduct herself that way.  And not only is it a horrible way to teach your daughter to behave, but doesn't Paula have any loyalty to her husband?  I sure wouldn't appreciate my husband coaching our child on how best to manipulate me, particularly if the recommended behavior was something that might establish an unhealthy life-long pattern of behavior.

I guess Paula should get credit for realizing afterwards she had made a tremendous mistake.  And in a way it took some guts to admit on national TV she had done such a dumb thing and she regrets it.  But I wish she had followed it up with a description of what she has done to correct the situation.  I hate to think that she has done absolutely nothing to fix things.  A very frank discussion with her daughter is called for, including a full acknowledgement that the advice given was BAD advice and why.  Not that Paula necessarily owes the audience a complete explanation of such an intimate family situation, but she was the one who took things there to start with ... she would have done herself a favor to explain how she had handled the problem she created instead of just leaving it hanging the way she did. 

You know, for some reason lately, almost every time one of the panelists starts talking about her personal life, it feels like they are making a mistake. Neither Sunny and Sara have done themselves favors talking about their marriages, and Paula has stepped in it several times.  Maybe they are just newbies and they will learn.  As Apprentice79 mentioned, they don't want to turn into Sherri Shepherd, telling too many personal things about their family members/relationships just to have fodder for the show.  There is such a thing as over-sharing.

• Love 5

I totally agree with Celia's post, but I really must say that I believe that stupid bitch, & that's what I've started to think of Paula, did what she said & is encouraging her daughter to do the same.  Full stop!!!  Sunny is a really smart woman, but you can tell she "caves" at home & doesn't like any kind of dissention.  The more Sara talks about her home life, the more I think she's a bit unhinged ... just sayin'.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I hope Jed and Raven are relegated to one day.  Hopefully Sunday.

LOL!  I laugh every time Raven feels the need to remind us she's "new to the world of voting."  At age 30.  Personally I think Sunny is too good for this crapfest, but I'm glad to hear they finally signed her. 

4 hours ago, atomationage said:

How can this show get cancelled?  Is it a news department show or what?

Yes, it's now in the ABC News department budget.  And it's produced so cheaply it makes big bucks and as long as that's true, it will stay on the air.   

1 hour ago, maggiemae said:

Talk about sexualizing your own daughter - nice job Paula. 

1 hour ago, backformore said:

Raven's answer to why Mariah Carey would do a reality show by referencing Paula Abdul's similar attempt at reality TV.   Good comparison, actually.  Paula Abdul was shown to be a vapid, self-absorbed moron who was rude to people, always late to appearances for no reason, and spent more time running from place to place whining about how busy she was than she spent actually DOING anything.  NOBODY could have watched that show and come away with a positive view of her.  I bet Mariah's show is going down a similar path. 

Raven said a reality show "improves your relevancy" - I'd love to know what the hell that is supposed to mean.

Yeah, she really didn't get the point at all.  When the votes are cast, the "polling"  is over.  Votes don't affect polls.  Does she really not understand the difference between a POLL and an ELECTION? 

THe entire show, I was distracted by Raven's lipstick. Is that a new thing?  She had a light pinkish color in the middle,, blended out to a violet in the corners. It's actually a very striking look.  I couldn't decide if I liked it or hated it.

Every time Raven reminds us she is "new" to voting and politics, etc. (at age 30) I'm like, "No kidding."   Sheesh.  

As far as "improving your relevancy" I think she meant that now people are talking about Mariah where before they weren't.  I guess it doesn't matter what people are saying as long as they are saying your name.  Remember when it was enough to just put out some amazing records?   I did laugh that she mentioned Whitney Houston's show (Being Bobby Brown) because that was crazy must see trash TV.  The old TWoP forum on that show was hilarious!  Actually, the show was hilarious too - as Sunny noted, we couldn't look away, much like a train wreck. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

You know, for some reason lately, almost every time one of the panelists starts talking about her personal life, it feels like they are making a mistake. Neither Sunny and Sara have done themselves favors talking about their marriages, and Paula has stepped in it several times.  Maybe they are just newbies and they will learn.  As Apprentice79 mentioned, they don't want to turn into Sherri Shepherd, telling too many personal things about their family members/relationships just to have fodder for the show.  There is such a thing as over-sharing.

And see, the co-hosts actually telling REAL stories about their personal lives is what I liked about Paula since Whoopi's stories are either tall tales or told to show how wonderful someone thinks she is and of course Bitsy's family stories that were all fake.   The real stories are how we get to know them, good and bad, as real women and not just blue card readers. 

I love that Sunny tells stories about herself that aren't always flattering but for me almost always appreciated even if I disagree.  And while I was as horrified as Joy seemed to be at Paula telling her daughter how manipulate her father I still appreciated that she was willing to share.  I get so sick of Born Again Barbie's stories where the bluebirds dress her in morning and her perfect marriage, children etc.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

All she and Jillette care about is that they feel good about themselves, even if it means they condemn the rest of the country to a Trump presidency like Joy argued. Unfortunately, I think there are plenty of people as stupid as Raven out there.

Better said than I could have.

3 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

Every time Raven reminds us she is "new" to voting and politics, etc. (at age 30) I'm like, "No kidding."   Sheesh.  

I swear, my 8 yr old niece has a better handle on things than she does.  It is becoming sickening.  She should be embarrassed. 

• Love 7

I like the personal stories they share, too, even if I find Sunny's and Paula's stories sometimes disturbing...

I didn't really agree with any of the women on the Mariah show. It'll really depend on if you like the woman or not, YMMV, but she's obviously putting on a lot for the camera/fans to be comical. I'll probably watch it for laughs even though I hate reality TV generally. The reason I say I didn't agree with anyone is because Raven only defended it because she's addicted to reality TV and couldn't stand to hear the other women criticize it, while Sunny and the others took the promo much more seriously than I did. Most of what they showed looked fake and scripted to get a laugh.

• Love 1

I think Raven is confusing relevant with well-known.  The Kardashians are famous but doesn't mean they are important. 

Paula teaching her daughter to manipulate any male by smiling and batting her eyes or whatever is definitely going to set that poor girl on the wrong path.

• Love 16

I get so sick of Born Again Barbie's stories where the bluebirds dress her in morning and her perfect marriage, children etc.  

Yeah, that does get old. 

I'm more sick of Sunny saying that she and her Dr./Surgeon husband can't afford to go on vacation because they pay so much tax and airhead Sara Haines, who likely doesn't work 40 hours a week, says one kid is a struggle. 

It is annoying that people with money and resources complain about things that are hard to believe.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I totally agree with Celia's post, but I really must say that I believe that stupid bitch, & that's what I've started to think of Paula, did what she said & is encouraging her daughter to do the same.  Full stop!!!  Sunny is a really smart woman, but you can tell she "caves" at home & doesn't like any kind of dissention.  The more Sara talks about her home life, the more I think she's a bit unhinged ... just sayin'.

You're just now thinking Sara's a little unhinged?  Lol

I got the vibe after the discussion of the mom doing a work out routine over her baby's ceib..and sara had a melt down after siding with the mom because of all the critcisim.

Paula seems to be pro male and anti female.  My cousin both went to the college that Paula went to...and my cousin is wxactly like Paula...she had two daughterw and kept trying till she had a boy even though she kept miscarrying, etc...and thinks men are superior to women.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

You're just now thinking Sara's a little unhinged?  Lol

I got the vibe after the discussion of the mom doing a work out routine over her baby's ceib..and sara had a melt down after siding with the mom because of all the critcisim.

Paula seems to be pro male and anti female.  My cousin both went to the college that Paula went to...and my cousin is wxactly like Paula...she had two daughterw and kept trying till she had a boy even though she kept miscarrying, etc...and thinks men are superior to women.

My bold.  You're right JAYJAY!!  I've always (since her Hoda/Kathie Lee days) had a soft spot for her, but the revelation that she was a needy girlfriend (probably chased guys away) & was desperate to get married & have a baby (a lot of women are), started me down the road of doubting her stability.  I chalked her being emotional when she was pregnant up to hormones & her difficulty nursing was endured by many women, but she couldn't seem to stop placing blame.  As of now, I'm neutral with respect to Sara, but .....

I've never seen or been privy to a woman like Paula.  She seems nice enough, but I just can't get on board with most of what she says.  So, Paula's losing me as a fan.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, susieq147 said:

I think Raven is confusing relevant with well-known.  The Kardashians are famous but doesn't mean they are important.

EXACTLY.  Mariah Carey might reach another audience with her reality show - but it won't make her relevant.  In fact, it would tend to make me see her as less relevant, in that I would not take anything she says or does seriously. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

My bold.  You're right JAYJAY!!  I've always (since her Hoda/Kathie Lee days) had a soft spot for her, but the revelation that she was a needy girlfriend (probably chased guys away) & was desperate to get married & have a baby (a lot of women are), started me down the road of doubting her stability.  I chalked her being emotional when she was pregnant up to hormones & her difficulty nursing was endured by many women, but she couldn't seem to stop placing blame.  As of now, I'm neutral with respect to Sara, but .....

I've never seen or been privy to a woman like Paula.  She seems nice enough, but I just can't get on board with most of what she says.  So, Paula's losing me as a fan.

I am still trying to give her a pass, because I do think that she has had alot of pressures coming from everybody about being a good mother.. She may be suffering from postpartum depression and overwhelmed with the whole experience. However, I do get the vibe that she is a bit needy and over the top in dealing with conflicts..She did say that she will follow her husband around the house to argue with him...lol I still prefer her over Sherry, Bitsy and the movie star..I still like Paula, just because she can get under Whoopie's skin without getting emotional like Rosie...I remember last Fall, how the movie star had a conniption the first time that Paula challenged her..I think somebody on here capped it for all to see...lol...

• Love 5
On 8/5/2016 at 2:04 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

She just called Joy "unfair" and implied that everyone should make allowances for her because (at age 30) she still "new" to this politics stuff so she should be able to vote however she wants without regard to how it effects "some poll."

I admire her for getting into politics at any age. But precocious she is not. I was canvassing door-to-door when I was in 8th grade. I made a "Vote For Bobby Kennedy" sign for my window when I was ten (sadly, he never got to the Illinois primary). Note that my parents were/are Republicans. My friend's son is in second grade and initiates discussions with his parents about the upcoming election and why he's against Trump. While admittedly my friend's son and I are/were dweebs, no one should act like they deserve a pat on the head for caring about politics for the first time at age 30.

• Love 12