Type keyword(s) to search

Activewear: Olympic Uniforms and Fashion

(edited)

I figure we need a place to critique what the athletes are wearing, from the opening ceremony to the closing ceremony and all the events in between. (What's the swimsuit innovation this year??)

I am not a fan of the U.S. opening ceremony outfits. Nothing says "I'm marching in the heat of a Brazil summer" like a navy wool blazer. And could the Ralph Lauren logo BE any bigger? It's much more prominent than the U.S. flag on the patch on the other side. I find it obnoxious.

People have also complained the shirt looks like the Russian flag.

Also, if anybody can think of a better title, speak up!

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Souris said:

I am not a fan of the U.S. opening ceremony outfits. Nothing says "I'm marching in the heat of a Brazil summer" like a navy wool blazer. And could the Ralph Lauren logo BE any bigger? It's much more prominent than the U.S. flag on the patch on the other side. I find it obnoxious.

That outfit is just awful. If I was a competitor I would seriously consider dropping out rather than having to wear that in public. In front of a billion people.  I need to correct part of your statement, however. July - September is considered winter in Rio. From TripAdvisor:

The "winter" months in Rio are considered to be July, August and September. However, during this time It never really gets cold. This period also has the least amount of rainfall of the year. Although it rarely gets cold in Rio, a cloudy or rainy day can be a bit chilly to be out on the beach. On the other hand, a sunny day will be very nice to lounge on the beach and take in the sun and terrific scenery. For this reason, the beach is really an option all year long in Rio. During this time of the year, average high temperatures are around 75 Deg. F (25 Deg. C).

1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

That outfit is just awful. If I was a competitor I would seriously consider dropping out rather than having to wear that in public. In front of a billion people.  I need to correct part of your statement, however. July - September is considered winter in Rio. From TripAdvisor:

::smacks head:: With it being the summer Olympics, I totally forgot about the flipped seasons south of the Equator!

4 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

It's winter in Brazil.

Not that it really matters.  Rio lies practically on the Tropic of Capricorn, meaning that it's winter there in name only.  In other words, the climate is year-round summer even when it's technically winter in the Southern Hemisphere.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:54 PM, Souris said:

And could the Ralph Lauren logo BE any bigger? It's much more prominent than the U.S. flag on the patch on the other side. I find it obnoxious.

I despise the larger Ralph Lauren logo on regular every day clothes as it's so ridiculously pretentious.

• Love 3

USA Today had a photo gallery of the last 40 years of Opening Ceremony outfits and  all of the RL designs look the same.  White pants and a red or blue blazer.  They need something a little more "fun" looking, IMO.  They are, for the most part, young, fit people attending a party/celebration, not on their way to a job interview.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 5

Wow, those pajama shirts are pretty awful! They don't look good on anyone!

I wish someone at the USOC would reign in RL and tell him to chill about the size of that damn polo pony. It's not all about you, Ralph! It's seriously annoying. Other well known designers that design uniforms for their respective countries are way more subtle. It's embarrassing.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

USA Today had a photo gallery of the last 40 years of Opening Ceremony outfits and  all of the RL designs look the same.  White pants and a red or blue blazer.  They need something a little more "fun" looking, IMO.  They are, for the most part, young, fit people attending a party/celebration, not on their way to a job interview.

ITA. The outfits should have more fun, less starch to them. They don't look comfortable to me.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I kind of really need the jacket worn by the Slovakian women in the Opening Ceremony.  (Even though it says winter to me more than summer.)

Well, it actually is winter in Rio at the moment, even though that's just a technicality because Rio lies just a degree south of the Tropic of Capricorn, so it's more or less perpetually summer there by mid-Northern standards anyway.

Edited by legaleagle53

I'm old (and old fashioned), so I have come here to complain about the women's beach volleyball shorts underwear lower body garments. 

Until recently, the rules of that sport actually required them to wear bikinis. Men were allowed to wear baggy shorts and tank tops, but the women had to wear bikinis. They only recently changed (2012) the rules to grant women the choice to wear more clothes if they wanted due to complaints from athletes in more conservative countries. 

If you want to wear a bikini, fine. If you are forced to wear a bikini in order to compete and the men are not and do not, that's garbage.

Edited by kili
  • Love 7

I guess I'm the only one here who likes the outfits worn by the USA team in the parade--especially the slacks and deck shoes.  But I agree that Ralph Lauren went OTT with that awful logo of his (I won't wear any of his clothes that bear the logo).  I didn't think of the Russian flag when I saw them wearing the t-shirts under the blazers.  I think they need to find another designer, though.  Enough of Ralph.  But keep the deck shoes and the cool hats.

2 minutes ago, katisha said:

If it's any consolation I thought the Australian uniforms were pretty crap too. Mind you, we have had far more offensive ones!

193f73dda8a18a04ba0ce9d8ab1b31f5.jpg

The women aren't so bad (are those wrap-around skirts they're wearing?).  But shorts with a jacket and tie for the men, and no socks?  Just no.

• Love 1

It's the white leather shoes that really complete the look.  So fresh!

Apparently my prayers have been answered and US medalists will not have to wear the same gray sweatsuit that they wore in London.  Nothing like an outfit that makes you look like you just dropped in from filling a pothole to make your first pictures with your medals really memorable.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

It's the white leather shoes that really complete the look.  So fresh!

Ha, so true! But you've got to admit, compared to the blue Bejing horror (hello, national colours, anyone?)... beijing.jpg

..the atrocious Los Angeles 1984 "souvenir tea towel" look...

los angeles.jpg

..and my personal favourite, the Barcelona "we're being attacked by huge insects" look...

barcelona.jpg

..the current ones really aren't that bad!

• Love 8

This is somewhat related to fashion, I guess maybe. Anyway, it seemed the best thread for the inquiry:

In 2012, there was a website containing photo galleries of "Model Olympians" -- photo sessions with many of the US Olympic athletes, multiple posed shots of each. Is there anything similar now? If I Google "model olympians," I can find random slideshows of photos (usually a mixture of posed and candid shots for just 3 or 4 of the athletes in a discipline) within the nbcolympics site, but no route back to a submenu to see them all. Has anyone found a more comprehensive or reliable way to find such photo galleries?

I am very glad that this generation of technical competition swimwear allows for patterns in a pretty wide variety colors. For too many years, they were using such thin fabrics that went a bit transparent when wet that, for modesty reasons, you pretty much were limited to black, navy blue, and the slightly thicker dark green the Australians often used.

• Love 1

I very much like the deep-hued tracksuits (or coverups or whatever they're correctly called) that the US medalists put on for their victory ceremony -- so much better than the ill-proportioned grey shmattas from 4 years ago. But why did they keep the neon-green sneakers?

I like the designs for the pages (the guides for the medal ceremonies) too -- light, unpretentious, and festive. Cream-white suit, with a patterned shirt or skirt, no tie.  

On 7 August 2016 at 0:46 PM, katisha said:

If it's any consolation I thought the Australian uniforms were pretty crap too. Mind you, we have had far more offensive ones!

193f73dda8a18a04ba0ce9d8ab1b31f5.jpg

The women look like Love Boat cruise directors, or flight attendants from 1990. 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Does Phelps have a shoe sponsorship because he never wears the Team USA shoes.

I haven't noticed anyone's shoes to be honest, but Phelps works with (Baltimore-based) Under Armour.

I watched the finals of trampoline this afternoon.  The red Chinese leotard with the yellow dragons is lovely, until you get a closer look at the ombre effect -- the red color shading to a deeper purple on the bottom of the leotard.  It looks as if the poor thing wet herself! Bad design!

• Love 1

Some of the female sprinters (track and field) have gone for some horrible colours of hair dye, I think to match their national colours.  Really awful.  Ta Lou has a stylish cut, and I liked Ecador's Angela Tenorio's headband, but some of the purple/yellow etc hair looks dreadful.

Spoiler

Someone is going to lose a swimsuit in the crack of their ass. I. mean, the. WHOLE suit, not just the material shoved up their crack.

Again, NOT a prude and I like to look at people who are in shape, but jeez - why is it that I have no problem looking at nude women, but feel uncomfortable looking at the ladies as the compete in what amounts to a suit that is cut so high on the crotch that it looks like it hurts.

I dunno if it's to make sure that they are REALLY women or if it's a way to air out the old kitty?

My wife said that is why there are no M.E. women's water polo teams?

---------------------

Here is another weird thing I noticed?

Why is it that some female athlete's appearance change so dramatically when they change the way they wear their hair?

I was reading a medical journal once and it talked about 'weird ER injuries' and one that happened during the summer was Skier's enema.

It had to do with people water skiing at a high speed and while wiping out, tearing their assholes up.

I was watching the women's long jump and wondered if they could do a tie breaker by weighing the sand that  ends up their shorts?

Edited by ElDosEquis
2 hours ago, ElDosEquis said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Someone is going to lose a swimsuit in the crack of their ass. I. mean, the. WHOLE suit, not just the material shoved up their crack.

Here is another weird thing I noticed?

Why is it that some female athlete's appearance change so dramatically when they change the way they wear their hair?

It's not just the way they change their hair, a lot of female athletes don't wear any makeup when they compete because they sweat it off and end up looking like the Joker. So when you see them in interviews, professional photos or commercial, they usually have hair and makeup done.

Edited by briochetwist