Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 All Episodes Talk: Mom

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the Mom's first season. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for current episode topics, character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I've only seen a couple of episodes and I don't care for it much, but do I understand correctly that Allison Janney is a great-grandmother in this series? Her blonde daughter's daughter had a baby she gave up for adoption?

Thats what happens when you get a succession of teen pregnancies. 17+17+17 = a great grandmother at 51.(AJ is 54) I went to school with a girl who was a grandmother before she was 30. 

This is in syndication now, airing on TVLand.  I just stumbled across it tonight, and it seems to air from 10-11 pm and 1-2 am (Eastern), but it's also jumping around with the episode order.  I saw an article referring to a "two-week launch event" starting Monday, so maybe it settles down into a sequential order after that.

I've been watching the reruns as well. I have to admit, I miss the old days when Christie worked at the restaurant. Chef Rudy was truly hilarious, especially when he was dating Bonnie. King of the one-liners. And Christie was dating her boss for awhile. The whole restaurant was dropped by season 3, as well as her kids for the most part. They had Roscoe moving in with his dad and we didn't see much of them anymore either. The whole focus became Christie and Bonnie and their friends from the AA meetings. Which isn't bad on its own, but I do miss a lot of the old characters. 

• Love 5
On 9/20/2017 at 7:24 PM, Bastet said:

This is in syndication now, airing on TVLand.  I just stumbled across it tonight, and it seems to air from 10-11 pm and 1-2 am (Eastern), but it's also jumping around with the episode order.  I saw an article referring to a "two-week launch event" starting Monday, so maybe it settles down into a sequential order after that.

Nope! Still jumpy. Oh well.

Can anyone explain the layout of the apartment building? They're in a 2-story unit, where Bonnie sleeps with Adam in the downstairs bedroom, and Christie sleeps in the upstairs bedroom, which looks like it's right above that bedroom. Yet the Asian woman complains that she "lives upstairs" and hears what happens between Bonnie and Adam (and Christie implies she can hear the woman's bathroom behaviors). I might be nitpicking, but this has always driven me nuts. Anyone have any insight?

18 hours ago, possibilities said:

Maybe the other apartment is also two floors, and it's located next to rather than above them? They could be hearing through the wall, not the ceiling/floor.

Except she specifically says, "I live above you."

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:16 AM, Rachel81 said:

Nope! Still jumpy. Oh well.

Can anyone explain the layout of the apartment building? They're in a 2-story unit, where Bonnie sleeps with Adam in the downstairs bedroom, and Christie sleeps in the upstairs bedroom, which looks like it's right above that bedroom. Yet the Asian woman complains that she "lives upstairs" and hears what happens between Bonnie and Adam (and Christie implies she can hear the woman's bathroom behaviors). I might be nitpicking, but this has always driven me nuts. Anyone have any insight?

The apartment above the one we lived in when we first got married was similar layout.  It had a kitchen and dining room, then steps, and the rest was upstairs.  The kitchen and dining room were next to our kitchen and living room.  The stairs were above our stairwell to the outside door, then they were above us when they were in the rest of the apartment.  They considered it "1.5 floors".  Maybe the woman who lives above has a smaller apartment, and it's all on one level?  I've seen some odd things done in apartment buildings.

Edited by funky-rat
Continuity
  • Love 2
On 11/18/2017 at 10:01 AM, ButterQueen said:

I just found this show and love it.

Me, too! Where have I been?? I absolutely love every episode (even the not so good ones). I never thought Allison Janney could be so funny. She and Anna Farris play off each other perfectly. Their comedic timing is flawless as well as all of the actors on the show. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
On 11/30/2017 at 8:29 AM, bichonblitz said:

Me, too! Where have I been?? I absolutely love every episode (even the not so good ones). I never thought Allison Janney could be so funny. She and Anna Farris play off each other perfectly. Their comedic timing is flawless as well as all of the actors on the show. 

Me too too. I didn't like this show at first because Bonnie was just mean and insulting to Christie and the others. Not funny. 

I started watching again this year and really like the group of women much more than just Bonnie and Christie's dysfunctional relationship jokes.  The group had been more supportive to each other, and Christie has become more assertive. 

Also, don't hate me, but I like Adam. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, theatremouse said:

College in real life, actors got other gigs/lack of plots for those characters, decision to focus more on Janney+the AA friends

That makes sense.  I did enjoy the three different looks we got of Christy at work, at home with her kids, and at AA, but it would be difficult to fit in all those characters to a thirty minute sitcom.

1 hour ago, Tosia said:

Me too too. I didn't like this show at first because Bonnie was just mean and insulting to Christie and the others. Not funny. 

I started watching again this year and really like the group of women much more than just Bonnie and Christie's dysfunctional relationship jokes.  The group had been more supportive to each other, and Christie has become more assertive. 

Also, don't hate me, but I like Adam. 

Sadly, Bonnie is actually believable to me.  There are a lot of people who are not nice, and it has nothing to do with alcohol or drugs.  I am glad Christy and the others started standing up to her, and in some ways they mellowed Bonnie out a little.

I liked how they slowly built the group from Christy/Bonnie to adding Margery, and then Jill and Wendy.

I like Adam.

• Love 3

Was rewatching the episode where Roscoe got into Baxter's pot. I think that writing out Roscoe and Baxter was a bit of a mistake.  It's almost like Christy being an absentee parent and giving up her time with Roscoe for school.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

Was rewatching the episode where Roscoe got into Baxter's pot. I think that writing out Roscoe and Baxter was a bit of a mistake.  It's almost like Christy being an absentee parent and giving up her time with Roscoe for school.

I agree. It's so strange that the kids, except for one brief word about Roscoe, haven't even been mentioned at all.  They should at least say something about them every once in a while.  If Bonnie and Adam get married, I wonder if the kids will be there.  I agree too that this is making Christy look like a total deadbeat mom. 

I loved the Baxter character. He was my favorite from the early seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I liked both kids, but I can see the show's problem. They want to have some freedom in the storylines they create for their two leads, and with the kids there it's tough to do that. Consider the beginning of season 2, when Christy lost them their home. At some point it just isn't funny to see a young kid living through that sort of chaotic uncertainty.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Unpopular opinion:  I think the show benefits from having no kids.  I thought they dragged everything down.  I didn't find them charming or amusing, I'm glad they're hardly on anymore.

Agree, I don't miss the kids at all, especially Violet, couldn't stand her. I do miss Baxter though, he was funny.

I LOVE Adam!

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 7

Oddly enough I also miss Baxter but not the kids. I think Violet's pregnancy/adoption arc was one of the best the show ever pulled but her story is more or less told. The only thing they left unresolved (and I do hope they keep it that way) was the identity of her abusive father. Roscoe on the other hand was more problematic  - he was too young to be around some of Christy and Bonnie's shenanigans; it was worrisome and not funny. I did not enjoy his last plot (IIRC) when it looked as if he was on his way to become another Plunkett with substance abuse problems.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Season 1 episodes are running on TV Land right now and they are not good compared to the where the show is now. For me, it emphasizes that someone noticed what worked and decided to move in that direction which included decreasing the presence of the kids and focusing more on the friendships between the ladies. The married boss storyline is particularly bad but I never cared for it when it first aired. 

• Love 2

I just rewatched Season 1 Episode 4 because I saw it on HULU. lol  They only have one season for some reason.  Anyway, I liked that it was Christie centered and it was pretty funny.  I was just surprised at how much it's changed.  

• Love 2

I love this show.  The writing is sharp and funny.  They handle the dark areas of their lives wonderfully.  Not every family is Modern Family.  I actually laugh out loud at this show.  Anna and Allison are perfect together.  I do not miss hateful Violet.  Jill is my favorite friend next to Marjorie.  Her facial expressions kill me.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
21 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

What happened to Octavia Spencer’s character

Great question...I saw an old episode with her recently which reminded me that she’s disappeared. I don’t think she has been mentioned again. 

• Love 1

I mean Octavia Spencer is doing just fine career-wise so I’m not worried about Theresa in that sense, but she hasn’t even gotten a mention. We lose touch with people, life can be like that so I’m not mad. It’s just interesting when she pops up in the older episodes. Ironically, I’d be more interested in where she is now, than the kids. I couldn’t be less interested in them if I physically tried. 

• Love 8
17 hours ago, msani19 said:

I mean Octavia Spencer is doing just fine career-wise so I’m not worried about Theresa in that sense, but she hasn’t even gotten a mention. We lose touch with people, life can be like that so I’m not mad. It’s just interesting when she pops up in the older episodes. Ironically, I’d be more interested in where she is now, than the kids. I couldn’t be less interested in them if I physically tried. 

Who is Theresa? 

4 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I like this because it's very AA/NA like, sometimes people just fall of the face of the earth.  I would like to see a followup eventually, whether it be positive or negative.

It’s just weird that no one has spoken about her at like all lol they hug and apologize to her after making a big deal about her having wine then never speak of her again lol 

On 2/16/2018 at 5:26 PM, FairyDusted said:

I just started watching on TVLand. Damn it though because I'd like to see it in order!

That's how I discovered this little gem. I think there's a season missing somewhere, though. TVLand seems to replay certain episodes over and over. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

That's how I discovered this little gem. I think there's a season missing somewhere, though. TVLand seems to replay certain episodes over and over. 

It's on CMT as well. Another poster said we can pull up past seasons on ON DEMAND. I haven't tried yet cuz these chicks keep us so busy. LOL

On 2/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, bichonblitz said:

I'd like to see it in order!

That's what I'm doing on Firestick. I had watched random episodes at night on TV Land but wanted to see it in order. 

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, ButterQueen said:

I'm watching The House Bunny with Anna Faris, and she looks so different to me.  I can't put my finger on it.  

When I saw her again on Mom I was shocked.  She looked so different (and not in a good way).  I have obsessively looked up info about plastic surgery and I think she just had too much done on her lips and it altered the shape of her face.  I also think her haircut contributes a lot to the way her face changes.   She looked drastically different than when she was on Entourage or in the Scary Movies.

I liked the first 2 seasons because they were dark.  To me this was a comedy that a lot of raw and realistic nerves.  I still enjoy it but it had definite changes from how it started out. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/10/2018 at 9:02 PM, Keywestclubkid said:

What happened to Octavia Spencer’s character? Did they just drop her she is last seen drinking in her apt and I don’t remember her ever being mentioned again 

I was tickled pink to see her and Allison Janney at the Oscars together, being so supportive of each other! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm back to binging old eps on Hulu, and would just like to say that I'd be tickled pink to see the firefighter show up at an AA meeting, with at least a year of sobriety, and have him and Christy give it a go. They'd have more to talk about now that Christy's going to college, I think! Honorary mention to Joe Manganiello's + Christy, but hope he was able to stay sober and work it out with his wife. 

Edited by Judi Sunshine
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I recently watched an old episode where Bonnie and Chef Rudi get together. Freakin' hilarious! I loved Chef Rudi. His comedic timing was perfection. I can't remember the actor's name. 

French Stewart! I miss him on the show. And I just rewatched that ep too! Love that one. Allison Janney brought a lot of humor to it, but one thing I love so much about her is her vulnerable face acting. Her switch from excited and happy while painting her toenails to "Well of course, that was dumb to let myself be happy" disappointment comes through with just a shift of her face and tone of voice. I felt so bad for her. But in a way it was kind of good to have the realism -- sometimes people are just cads, and having a blue-collar back story and a ton of charm doesn't mean their waters run deep, or that the attention they lavish on potential "conquests" will translate to kindness once the sex is over. 

• Love 7