Type keyword(s) to search

Squidbillies - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The show is good. It borders on great. It doesn't rank as the very best of Adult Swim, but it deserves to be mentioned for the top ten, though a lot of that is on longevity. Also: Dana Snyder in a starring role. He's very good at voicing cartoons.

Two episodes have aired in the new season, right? The one with the model car racing and the one with the Confederate flag getting shut down. For some reason, I keep thinking that I'm forgetting one other.

For some reason I never really got into the show, but recently I've been watching the old episodes (and the new ones as they air) and I really like this show.  Probably the best program that not Rick & Morty or Venture Brothers. 

For this week's episode, loved Sharif using the gun as a mic (poor Denny).  The whole bit with him and his dad was great.

The dimwitted sheriff: such a timeless trope. Ever see the one from Mr. Pickles? That guy is a putz as well.

And damn, never thought I'd see a comic that makes Cliff Claven look good. Liked the Cuylers relegated to "captive audience." Also, I think Sheriff works better as one of many clones Dan Halen constantly grows. How else do you explain Denny?

37 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

The dimwitted sheriff: such a timeless trope. Ever see the one from Mr. Pickles? That guy is a putz as well.

What I've seen of Mr Pickles I absolutely disliked.  

On Topic: Just saw the Squids vs the Devil and that was good.  For some reason I thought I knew the "Power Ballad" song but it seemingly was made for the show (and I downloaded the album with all the songs from the AS site, Power Ballad is definitely going on my playlist).

Edited by Matt K
  • Love 1

The show does music well, even beyond the guest artists doing the theme song. Check out the half-hour long special where Dougal County fights terrorists. Also, the two-parter where Rusty gets adopted by his uncle.

ETA: Another great ep? "Rebel Without A Claus." Santa takes so much abuse from Early. And those poor reindeer . . .

Rebel without a Claus was amazing.  I love the "bring me the still beating heart of (insert Nascar driver's name here)" and then the "badass" elves who didn't even stand a chance and the elves who decided to get a new job (for 2 candy canes/month).  The real kicker was Sharif running down Santa by accident (which intentional or not, was a nice reference to Snatch who had the same unintentional running down a character).

Then there's the episode where Granny "dies" and Dan Halen establishes a museum based on her diaries while romancing a Confederate general. The fast-forwarded narration and the exhibits . . . good times. Good, traumatizing times.

Early's cap: "I DON'T NETFLIX AND CHILL; I VHS AND F**K!" That's actually clever. Kudos. And I threw in the semicolon.

Another episode focusing on Sheriff, with Rusty and Granny taking the week off. I think that I prefer the Cuyler clan over the supporting players.

Poking around the schedule . . . saw that our favorite mountain squids will have a new episode tonight at midnight. I don't know if this is kicking off new stuff, or if this is jut for Halloween.

ETA: It was for Halloween. Are Cabbage Patch Kids that collectable? Of course Sheriff has them hoarded. And of course Granny would make knockoffs with stuff she dug up from the Confederate cemetery. I think the animation got kicked up a notch, and it was funny to see Early horrified about zombies touching his trim.

They went for the more expensive 3D animation...which doesn't work very well for Squidbillies. The regular cheap scribbly look is part of the show's charm. Sharif's model was particularly problematic, with his head looking really strange from any angle other than face-on.

Early seemed unusually (half-way) competent, like he took his Action Hero pills that morning.

"Squashbuckler" made me laugh.

• Love 1

Missed the Thanksgiving episode. Caught it On Demand. It's basically Rusty trying to make everybody happy on Thanksgiving. Also, Early and Granny cook and eat a dog. Not for the faint at heart. And it turns out that dog was based on a real-life pooch that recently passed away.

Maybe we're going with holiday-based episodes in the future. I can use a follow-up to "Rebel Without A Claus."

Rusty gets framed for Boyd's murder, goes to prison, and almost gets busy with Jean-Baptiste and Paul from Superjail! Also appearing during the riot: Alice and Jailbot.

I dunno, it just doesn't seem like Squidbillies without Dan Halen making an appearance.

See, I was 98 percent positive about those two dudes from Superjail! Then Jailbot, Alice and the Warden ran in, and it was nice that I wasn't crazy. What, is the Warden looking for screws for Alice to lord herself over and possibly seduce? He does know about the field of Sheriff clones, right?

Man, Rusty can be smart when he needs to be. Earle, on the other hand? Not so much. I did like his trucker hat: "HEY SNOWFLAKE! I GOT YOUR TRIGGER WARNING RIGHT HERE!" Sorry if I botched the quote. Last week, I was at New York Comic Con, and I got a blind box for Adult Swim, and I wound up with Earle. He came with his default hat and shotgun. With notches! I couldn't fit it right on his tentacle, though.

DSCN0628.thumb.JPG.08a989499bf3af202d421523c4a77916.JPG

• Love 1

This week: Rusty becomes the "Guzzle Bumpkin" for an energy drink, and chaos ensues. That involves him getting explosives shoved up his butt by Earle and Granny, because we can't get that highbrow with this series (and I say that with a degree of love). This week's unexpected cameos: Coolio and Jackass alumnus Wee Man. Oh, and Earle gets a shit-ton of shit dumped on him on New Year's Eve in New York. I haven't heard any rumors about that replacing the traditional ceremony, but I'll be sure to keep an ear out.

This episode seemed to rehash previous episodes where a big company with a product to push comes in and exploits Rusty and/or Early. All that was really different was Rusty setting a bad example for his kid.

No Dan Halen again. That just ain't right.

Clip for tonight's episode. It's timely because the game was held yesterday. Earle must have been really happy.

ETA: Basically, it's all about Sheriff trying alcohol for the first time. It does not go well, and he manages to out-crazy Earle. I wondered where Granny was about halfway thruogh the episode, and then I saw her on the asphalt, face down and ass up, just like she had said.

Checking to see if anybody watched tonight's episode . . . @Sandman87 in particular because I think he likes Dan Halen. Basically, it's the Stonecutters episode of The Simpsons, only with a really racist cup. And blindfolds. And lots of out-of-shape white dudes getting naked. And Earle getting Sheriff to swallow a phone to audio-record, and the doctor assuming Sheriff jammed it up his ass. No Rusty, but we do get Granny (delightful as always) bringing up how infrequently we see Lil.

Caught the Squids this week. Would have been funnier if:

• Early (and Rusty) hadn't already laid eggs in previous episodes.
  • ATHF hadn't already done the whole "getting in touch with the inner woman" thing in "Chick Magnet", and done it better.

Early becomes a Nitwit. As an official job, I mean. Must be natural talent.

Loved the music when Early appeared as the Nitwit for the first time. Sounded almost exactly like AC/DC's "Thunderstruck."

BTW, I'm a little concerned that two of the "sponsored content" links at the bottom of the page here are showing me links about Psoriasis right now. Does watching Squidbillies cause it or something?

I caved, got an Adult Swim blind box . . . and I got Earle again. I'll have to find him a new home. He comes with non-removable trucker hat and shotgun.

On 11/13/2017 at 3:44 AM, Sandman87 said:

Caught the Squids this week. Would have been funnier if:

• Early (and Rusty) hadn't already laid eggs in previous episodes.

I don't think continuity really matters. Cast members tended to die every few episodes int the beginning. Also, weren't Earle and Rusty's "pregnancies" caused by rampant mercury consumption?

Hey, Lil lives!!! BTW, whatever happened to Herschel? The bit with Earle's kids acting like him reminded me of the son Earle never had.

Good riff about his "correct" mascots are not. I like to think Rusty would have a problem even if he wasn't a dad.

Yeah, that was the highlight of the episode. Done in his trademark once-per-album polka style!

Most of the town's adult humans go to Guatemala for a church house-building charity trip...and Early too. Naturally Early makes it suck. Then they come back. And Early makes that suck too. Come to think of it, he made getting ready to go suck as well. Then Granny kills him, and everyone agrees to call it "being hit by lightning."

The Cuyler household didn't look half bad after Granny and Rusty fixed it up.

What did "Weird Al" put in place of "I'll take all you sons of bitches when I go"?

Typical episode of Early running amok. Might have been funnier with the old preacher, but his VA died. BTW, what the heck was he supposed to be? As least Dan Halen kinda looks like a mutant troll doll.

Note to self: "Early" with an "Y."

Sunday's episode answered a question very few were thinking: "What if the Cuylers were human?" Answer: not pretty. This isn't an alternate reality episode; no, it's Early feuding with a topless slob who has much sense as him. He also has a kid with a 'stache and rat-tail, but the boy doesn't talk. Also, the asshole's daddy had several flings with Ruby Jean. Bad news: we get flashbacks with the relations. Good news: We see Pee Pap again! "[whack] Got you! [whack] Got you again!"

ETA: I got another Adult Swim blind box, and I wound up with Early. Anybody have a good home for him? He's the only character from Squidbillies in the line, but I still feel it's a good likeness. And he's got his shotgun with notches! Just like on that there TV!!

The finale managed to be even less enjoyable than the rest of the season, which isn't going to make it into my list of the Top Ten Squidbillies Seasons. And as an added bonus, it had the worst version of the opening theme so far.

I reckon that that the next season will have Early trying to bounce back. Or maybe that's just the opening episode. I know, Human Early tonguing Granny is not a good thing on damn near every level. Notice the Rev was practically begging Early to start murdering right there.

Bright side: "Rebel With A Clause" is airing right now!

Anyone else watching? Also, which Adult Swim series has had the most overall episodes? Squidbillies is now in its twelfth season, so it has to rank near the top.

Latest episode was 30 minutes, with Early and Tammi (Rusty's half-sister/baby mama) forming a music act, with lots of "Outlaw" singers thrown in. I still hear Early in one of Tammi's first appearances, shouting something along the lines of "Why are you with the Sequel when you can get with the Prequel?!? The Prequel is unequal!!!"

Baker got what he deserved. As if the racism and sexism weren't bad enough, Baker had the nerve to throw shade at Dolly Parton, who was a superstar when nobody but God and Baker's family knew nor cared who he was. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who's lasted in this business for 50 years like Dolly Parton has is doing something right.

Last time I checked, freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. Just as Baker has a right to his opinion, Adult Swim has a right to fire him for it and good riddance.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

Checking to see if anyone else has been watching. Adult Swim will be rerunning the first two episodes tonight. Once you get over someone else voicing Early, it’s pretty good. Tracey Morgan does a good job.

ETA: I think my fave moment was Early fighting the 87 dogs while Granny kept flashing the light. I’ll have to find the clip.

Edited by Lantern7