Type keyword(s) to search

Love It Or List It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just watched an episode...probably a rerun...about a couple who wanted to stay in the city (& the city was Durham!!!).  David found them a really nice new home a few miles away but they decided to "love it" and stay in their home.  I'm beginning to agree with people who suspect these folks sign up just to get a renovation...they have no intention of ever moving.  The only thing renovated was the basement since they didn't have enough money for the upstairs.  The episode that preceded this one featured a couple who bought a house w/o even seeing it.  What a crazy house and they had plenty of opportunities to move to a better laid out house but did they?  Heck no.  It's getting so the only thing I watch is the last 15 minutes of the show so I can see the before and after that Hilary does.

• Love 1

Just saw an episode - Anna Wade and Andrew - which irritated me no end.  One of their "must-haves" was a bathroom for each of their two teenage children.  Really?  I grew up sharing one bathroom for the whole family and my family made do with two.   I know this sounds like "I walked to school 20 miles in the snow...", but sometimes this entitled silliness just gets to me.  

• Love 9

And then those teenagers get to college and they not only have to share a bathroom with a dozen others on their dorm floor, they have to share a bedroom with a stranger.

Or they get married and cannot comprehend that the giant walk-in closet and spa-like master bath (because you know they won't settle for less than a fully tricked out McMansion) have to be shared with their spouse.

Edited by Shermie
  • Love 3

Didn't Anna Wade and Andrew end up with just a basement renovation?  Sure they talked the LIOLI talk but at the end of the day, it seemed to me they'd just signed up to finish out their basement.  And, the basement had already been roughed out by the builder so it made sense to complete it.

Sure, one of the teenagers might go down to the basement bathroom but no, they certainly didn't end up with an en suite for each kid.  That appeared to be a fairly typical tract home so nothing too special there.

Did I miss something?

So I watched the episode last night with the mother who'd moved in with her daughter and grandchildren.

One of the problems with the house was that the son's bedroom was too small to hold a bed big enough for his body.  They showed him lying on the bed with his legs hanging off the end.  Hilary's renovations didn't do anything for him.  So once that became apparent, it was obvious they were going to list it.  Which they did.  The renos were simply to increase the resale value of the home they obviously always intended to sell.  

You're correct, truther but they would have signed up with the show as a list-it episode, hoping to use Hilary as a selling resource.  So, it didn't matter that Hilary failed to address the kids' bedrooms - she wasn't supposed to.  If they needed anything to sell, it'd only be surface treatments plus staging.

I remember the boy with his legs but that's one of those (physical) things that reality TV specializes in faking.  They probably put his little sister's smaller bed on his shortest wall with his bedspread and had him stretch out.  Presto, change-o:  his room's too small!

Homeowners typically move for a variety of reasons.  Space for her growing children might have been one of the woman's reasons.  OTOH, she also may have theorized that the kids would soon be out of the house and moved for entirely different reasons.  Who knows?  It's reality television!  

Edited by aguabella

Wow, Jillian is the worst actress ever! Haha. I mean, really really bad.

Started to ask you which episode you were referring to and then realized - wait, it's each and every episode w/o exception!

Haven't ever seen those ABC Bachelor programs but I can't imagine Hilary as a participant.  She's so wooden in LIOLI2, after all her Bachelor acting experience, hahaha.  Was she ever believable as supposedly engaged to one of the guys?  (that's the result of most seasons, right?)

Edited by aguabella

Okay, I admit that this show is like a disease or something for me. I just can't shake it. I know that it's incredibly staged, that the couples well know whether they will love it or list, as does everyone else involved. BUT. I'm such a sucker for this show anyway! We moved from a major non-love-it house in September to a house we really really love, and watching this show makes me so grateful that we live in the midwestern US where housing prices are not so out of this world. My husband and I gape almost every episode after they show us a tiny crackerbox house that is so close to the neighbors that they could hold hands through the side windows and then David says, "I've done an evaluation of your house, and it's worth $750,000."

A couple of observations:

Some of those Toronto neighborhoods seem so strange to my American eyes. There will be several half-double houses, a stand-alone new build, and then a house from the 1970s all right next to one another. RIGHT next to one another.

No way will I ever have Eddie or Fergus come over to my place, because god knows, they'll discover some hideous problem in my foundation or something jacked up in my electricity! Seriously, though, I wonder at the people who have only lived in the house for like a year and the house has ALL these problems. There must be some pretty incompetent home inspectors out there! And also -- the people who have lived in a 100 year old house for years smelling damp in the basement are always stunned -- STUNNED I TELL YOU -- that there could be significant water damage. Are people truly that dumb?

Hillary (is it one L or two -- two lazy to check!) can be SO bitchy if the homeowners' taste is different than hers. I just watched the one where the homeowner had mirrors surrounding the whole staircase -- which -- not my taste, either -- but I was surprised that H. hadn't checked with the homeowner about it. In fact, she is pretty bitchy most of the time (which I kind of enjoy), when the homeowners seem to display little understanding of how much things cost and what things are impossible. No, she really can't just "add a bedroom" when there is no space. Or "throw in a bathroom" when there is nothing to support the plumbing. I AM always amazed at what she does with basements. But as has been mentioned before, I bet many homeowners would trade some of the high end finishes for a little bit more structural work here and there.

Of special note: the woman with the furs -- Sandra, I think -- was actually NUTS. I've never seen H. so pissed or pissy. Good TV. I almost felt sorry for her husband, and I DID feel sorry for the husband's daughter because can you imagine what a piece of work Sandra would be as a stepmother??

If David were really my Realtor, and he showed me houses $100,000 over my budget to "make a point," I'd kick him in the groin.

I don't always get everyone's hatred for the suburbs, but I do notice that some homeowners mention driving like an extra hour, so I assume that with the size of Toronto, that some of these neighborhoods really are FAR away. An hour extra to each end of a commute is nothing to sneeze at.

Still, this show is fun to me like a piece of candy that I know isn't really good for me!

• Love 2

I loved the mid century modern before and after. You could tell they both loved the house and probably tossed a coin and loser had to want to move. She was a darned good actress to say she loved loved that hideous Grandma's (and I am a grandma who still thought Granny decor) condo without giggling uncontrollably.

Edited by Pathetica

I loved the mid century modern before and after. You could tell they both loved the house and probably tossed a coin and loser had to want to move. She was a darned good actress to say she loved loved that hideous Grandma's (and I am a grandma who still thought Granny decor) condo without giggling uncontrollably.

You're correct.  They all knew they weren't going anywhere.

Don't know for certain but I've always assumed the producers assign their roles based on the couples' acting abilities as demonstrated on audition tapes.

So a couple wanted a two master bedrooms because the husband snored? How about looking into why he snored? Unless it was just a cover story for them just not wanting to share a room anymore. They seemed otherwise happy, but could have settled into a platonic marriage.

I am sick of all the white rooms, egads! Especially when there are children. Who wants a white couch? And so. much. white everywhere in these designs. White walls, white kitchens, white furniture, white flooring... Way too cold and sterile for me.

We just watched this episode last night and I think they may be my least favorite couple I've seen on LOLIT. The feng shui thing was just so obnoxious. I get that having the proper feng shui is important to you, maybe you should share that with the interior designer working on the house? And then they blamed Jillian for not being able to do the mudroom, are you kidding me?

I knew they were going to list it when the husband asked for the money back after the siding had to be replaced. You've lived in this house, most likely mortgage free, for decades and have done nothing to it. Every house requires some routine maintenance. Don't blame someone else when it comes back to bite you in the butt.

Also, no matter how nice the new house is, it's not going to look like that once they move in their own furniture. Was it just me or was everything in that house super dated, furniture included?

I feel like when LIOLI has these type of couples on the show it's like they are running out of couples with homes where you can at least pretend they really need to be on the show.  Like the house has one bathroom for 8 people or something.

I do think the couples on the show have to pay SOMEthing for all that work. How MUCH they pay and whether producers pay fast and loose with the budget, who knows. Given that, and the choice of the Raleigh area, and the fact that people have to apply to be on the show, then be picked to be on the show....producers can only pick from people who've applied.

Are there houses in the Raleigh area that have one bathroom for 8 people? I'm sure there are. But 1) can those people afford to be on the show, 2) do those people even know about the show, 3) are those people in the social demographic of the couples the show wants to cast?

Wishful thinking then they'd end the show or tape less episodes if from the pool of applicants, it's really stretching credibility to believe they need to be on the show.

Music Camp Couple: I didn't see the beginning so from what I gather - his grandmom died, she made/asked him to promise to do a music camp on her land, he said yes, he convinced his wife (then not pregnant) to move into that home, then she got pregnant and now she wants to move after only being in the house a year. As nice as they were, unless I missed something, they were "stupid", short-sighted. One look at the outside of the house, would let anyone know the house would need work. So anyone who doesn't have a really healthy savings and home renovation skills would know it would take a lot of time (years) to get it together. Was the pregnancy unplanned? Because it doesn't make sense to get pregnant in that home. Accidents do happen. I'd like to think it was because it doesn't make sense to move, expect to do a renovation and then move in less than a year.

I like aguabella's theory that they didn't actually live in the house. They lived in an apt, he inherited the house free and clear, they want to sell it but improve it first to get the most money for this camp, so they signed up for this show.

I am irrationally angry that every time I tune in, it is the couple with the Oompa Loompa orange woman and the man named Sully. Who names some one Sully in the latter part of the 20th century? Also they kept talking about getting teens to foster, but it was a mystery as to whether the teens would be boys, girls, or both. Do you just open the door one day and your foster teens are standing there? Don't you get some background on the children first?

• Love 1

Is THIS ⤵⤴the episode pertaining to the wife from England who is a meditation therapist? The episode in which the husband stated that he and "The Little (orange-ish) Woman" married later in life, therefore, were not going to 'have' children, yet held an intense interest in fostering children?

If so, I agree with your comments... Hopefully, her incessant grinning and 50 Shades of Orange won't spook their charges.

Just saw the episode with the single mom whose 21 year old daughter, Jade, wanted her own space.  That girl was insufferable. Evidently she moved back home because she had financial difficulties.  She should shut up, save her money, and get an apartment ASAP.

Edited by 3 is enough

I'm just wondering, while undergoing Renovation on the house, do they move out all their stuff into an on-site storage shed (like a Pod) or do they move it to a storage facility?

I have a related question: all the new furniture that Hilary brings in for the redo - is that something the show has or is it purchased with part of the reno budget?  'Cause if it's the second, that's a stupid use of reno money.  (Which is what leads me to believe it's just brought in for show.)

I watched it. The husband is the brother of an old childhood friend.  I did think that the wife was OTT, but I'm not sure how much of that was producer drama.  I was pretty sure they were going to love it, but the last house that they were shown was definitely a contender.

I saw the show and considered it all producer-driven.  Felt as if tptb were scratching to find issues, in fact.  Thought the wife was fine.  Yes, I give these people the benefit of the doubt unless it's obvious they're not putting on!

I thought the wife was a bitch, but the whole "I'd rather give up the master bath than keep that staircase" thing was so ridiculous that I didn't believe for a moment that it wasn't producer-driven.

Just saw the Nguyen episode (a repeat) ... As far as I could tell, Hilary stole from the kitchen to enlarge the bathroom, then cut the kitchen when the inevitable problems surfaced. How can they function with no kitchen? But the show didn't address it. Anyone remember this one and can calm me down?

I am irrationally angry that every time I tune in, it is the couple with the Oompa Loompa orange woman and the man named Sully. Who names some one Sully in the latter part of the 20th century? Also they kept talking about getting teens to foster, but it was a mystery as to whether the teens would be boys, girls, or both. Do you just open the door one day and your foster teens are standing there? Don't you get some background on the children first?

Love the Oompa Loompa reference, Mu Shu!  IIRC, I assumed the guy's last name was "Sullivan" or something along those lines.

IIRC, this was the episode where Hilary did a couple of generic teenager bedrooms in their basement?  I figured they wanted a larger house, just because, but that plot wouldn't be sufficiently dramatic for the producers.

So, LIOLI tried to tug on our heartstrings by claiming that they'd always wanted kids (but couldn't have them) so were fostering.

Just my guesses, however. 

I have a related question: all the new furniture that Hilary brings in for the redo - is that something the show has or is it purchased with part of the reno budget?  'Cause if it's the second, that's a stupid use of reno money.  (Which is what leads me to believe it's just brought in for show.)

You're correct - it's just staging.

I thought the wife was a bitch, but the whole "I'd rather give up the master bath than keep that staircase" thing was so ridiculous that I didn't believe for a moment that it wasn't producer-driven.

Totally! 

Okay, I admit that this show is like a disease or something for me. I just can't shake it. I know that it's incredibly staged, that the couples well know whether they will love it or list, as does everyone else involved. BUT. I'm such a sucker for this show anyway! We moved from a major non-love-it house in September to a house we really really love, and watching this show makes me so grateful that we live in the midwestern US where housing prices are not so out of this world. My husband and I gape almost every episode after they show us a tiny crackerbox house that is so close to the neighbors that they could hold hands through the side windows and then David says, "I've done an evaluation of your house, and it's worth $750,000."

Some of those Toronto neighborhoods seem so strange to my American eyes. There will be several half-double houses, a stand-alone new build, and then a house from the 1970s all right next to one another. RIGHT next to one another.

Hillary (is it one L or two -- two lazy to check!) can be SO bitchy if the homeowners' taste is different than hers. I just watched the one where the homeowner had mirrors surrounding the whole staircase -- which -- not my taste, either -- but I was surprised that H. hadn't checked with the homeowner about it. In fact, she is pretty bitchy most of the time (which I kind of enjoy), when the homeowners seem to display little understanding of how much things cost and what things are impossible. No, she really can't just "add a bedroom" when there is no space. Or "throw in a bathroom" when there is nothing to support the plumbing. I AM always amazed at what she does with basements. But as has been mentioned before, I bet many homeowners would trade some of the high end finishes for a little bit more structural work here and there.

I don't always get everyone's hatred for the suburbs, but I do notice that some homeowners mention driving like an extra hour, so I assume that with the size of Toronto, that some of these neighborhoods really are FAR away. An hour extra to each end of a commute is nothing to sneeze at.

Still, this show is fun to me like a piece of candy that I know isn't really good for me!

I originally thought Hilary (with one "L") was bitchy too, but about three episodes in I began to appreciate her dry humour and the great chemistry she shares with David.

Toronto has major congestion problems for traffic and an underfunded transit system, so getting from point A to B can be crucial in maintaining a good work/life balance, especially when children are involved. The typical commute is 60-90 minutes, and even longer if you're coming from an eastern suburb and going to work in the western edges.

• Love 3

Just watched an episode of LIOLT UK. So very civilized: no conflict; no drama. What a bore. And I don't know how much things cost in the UK, but a total gut of the first floor, new kitchen, sunroom converted to year-round room, additional full bath for $46,000 (30,000 British pounds)?

Please...

Edited by wonderwoman

Just watched an episode of LIOLT UK. So very civilized: no conflict; no drama. What a bore. And I don't know how much things cost in the UK, but a total gut of the first floor, new kitchen, sunroom converted to year-round room, additional full bath for $46,000 (30,000 British pounds)?

Please...

I didn't see the whole episode, just the very beginning because I allowed extra time when I taped the HHI right before it.  Now, though, I wish I had, because the designer from Kirstie Allsopp from Location, Location, Location, which I loved when it ran on BBC America several years ago. {edited because I spelled Kirstie's name wrong)

Edited by proserpina65

The producers may regret the decision to film in Raleigh, now that they've been sued by Deena and Sully as they are referred to on episode 152. Lots of dirt about what really happens behind the scenes.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article72350402.html

The couple allege that “Love It Or List It” did not use a licensed architect to develop renovation plans, that they never were shown houses on the market by any North Carolina licensed real estate agent who had the ability to broker the sale of those homes and were left to put up with “disastrous work done by Big Coat and its subcontractors.”

Edited by Suzee2
  • Love 2

I didn't watch their episode and I'd guess it won't be re-airing anymore, but their suit sounds largely like a complaint about the process of making the show, which made me laugh a bit. If they had kept it to complaints about the shoddy construction and about the money allocation and that some was missing, it would come off much more legitimate than their entire claim. It sounds by and large their main complaint outside of the renovations is that they got a peak behind the curtains and saw things weren't as magical as they thought, which I don't have a lot sympathy for.

LIOLI has done a lot of renovations, I can't remember any lawsuits, so this feels like an outlier, possibly using the wrong construction company this time around. Other than that, complaining about the production process and the TV aspect is just funny. They are surprised a reality TV show isn't real. I mean, I have a hard time believing they saw no NC listing homes, they were walking around someones' homes, its curious whose they were if they weren't on the market. Not to mention, they complained about not looking at real listings, while planning to stay having already consulted it sounds like with a contractor before doing the show, which may be the issue as well. Sounds like sour grapes at learning that this isn't as real as they thought. And that's truly on them. They actively signed up for a TV show that has a known pattern in how things unfold, meaning of course this is partly scripted. You thought the same thing happened coincidentally on the last 100 episodes or whatever and they were able to create a spinoff with the same pattern and that it wasn't planned that way? They can't be surprised to learn out it is run like a TV production. It is a TV production. A shame if the renovations weren't good this time around, but definitely not going to assume this is a common occurrence.

The producers may regret the decision to film in Raleigh, now that they've been sued by Deena and Sully as they are referred to on episode 152. Lots of dirt about what really happens behind the scenes.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article72350402.html

Thanks for posting this article, Suzee2.

Let me make sure I understand this situation:

These 2 signed up and paid for a renovation and now complain that they received, uh, a renovation - instead of a house hunt.  (Setting aside the alleged shoddy workmanship for a moment.)

Eric isn't a licensed NC gc?  Uh, duh.

David isn't a licensed NC realtor?  Double duh.

They didn't review the contracts and notice Big Coat was producing a reality TV show?  (I suspect they ceded control over everything, including the gc hiring decision, to Big Coat.)  Duh, duh, duh!

So, Big Coat utilized existing plans to save the homeowners $$$ ?  For shame!

Big Coat (the production co) held back approximately 40% of the contract to insure that the work was satisfactorily completed?  What?  Perhaps the homeowners should thank Big Coat for protecting their interests.  (I'm surprised the funds weren't disbursed.)

My guess is that the couple's beef is with the contractor but they dragged Big Coat / LIOLI into the situation to score a quick settlement, assuming the producers would prefer to avoid publicity.

That was their rental property?  I don't know - did they lie about that factoid?  Were they acting, too, lol?     

Well, at least we confirmed one thing - the guy's last name is "Sullivan" !  (That was discussed on another thread, incidentally.)

ETA:  oh, we may have confirmed something else, too!  We have too many damn lawyers with too much time on their hands, willing to file nuisance suits on contingency.  (No comment on my profession, lol.)

Edited by aguabella

"The suit claims the remaining money went to staging rather than to actual renovations of the couple's home."

I've read a couple of articles and the suit seems to be mainly about the shoddy workmanship and the fact that only $85K of the $140K they provided went to the remodel.  The implication seems to be that Big Coat pocketed the extra money, not that they were holding it back on the owner's behalf.  I always wondered about the quality of the work on all the HGTV shows.  They have these artificial timelines, especially the "crash" shows.  They also seem to be painting right up until the last minute.  I know from personal experience that dry wall repairs need to dry before you paint, and paint needs time to dry before you put light switch and outlet covers back on!  I moved into what was a model home for a new development and boy can a lot of things be hidden by wallpaper and flooring. 

So, I'm very curious to see how this suit is resolved.  One the one hand, they knowingly signed up for a reality show that pretends to be about home renovation.  But on the other hand, the show was given $140K to do construction and basically was the home owner's agent for the remodel and dealt directly with the general contractor, so they bear responsibility for the work. 

Yes, I agree, as I mentioned above, the suit is about the shoddy workmanship and their main complaint probably lies with the contractor.  I was playing devil's advocate to show another side of the story.  Without reviewing the evidence, we don't know what happened.  There may be an innocent explanation - that is, the funds are sitting in escrow until the gc completes the work to the homeowner's satisfaction. 

Without reviewing the evidence, including the contracts and other documentation, we don't know what actually happened.  I haven't read other articles (can you post them, Frost?  Thanks, in advance.) but articles, BTW, don't constitute evidence, either.  Just b/c the homeowners implied in the press that the show absconded with funds, to obtain publicity for their suit against the contractor, doesn't mean that the show actually absconded with funds.  What's the saying, no matter how many times you make a pancake, it always has two sides!

After many seasons, it's doubtful that an isolated incident occurred where staging funds for this episode alone disappeared.  Likewise, they only failed to properly supervise the gc's once?  And, who was required to supervise them?  We don't even know w/o reviewing the evidence.

I'll give the show the benefit of the doubt until the evidence / the truth comes out.  Otherwise, all we have are unsubstantiated allegations.

Incidentally, I can tell you from experience, the press pretty much reports these situations incorrectly 100% of the time.  (Sorry to my friends in the press.)  Guess you get a few more clicks / readers / viewers by implying that funds disappeared.  Funds available in an escrow account?  Ho hum - boring!

Edited by aguabella

NBC, CNN, and People all have articles.  I'm sure there are more as well.  I'm not giving either party the benefit of the doubt.  I'm just interested in seeing what happens next.

NBC, CNN, and People all have articles.  I'm sure there are more as well.  I'm not giving either party the benefit of the doubt.  I'm just interested in seeing what happens next.

With all due respect, it appears you've given the benefit of the doubt to the plaintiff.  In your previous post, dated 4/19/16 at 11:54 a.m., you repeated multiple, unsupported allegations from the plaintiff's lawsuit as "facts".  You mention the "fact" that only 85K went to the remodel.  Where's your evidence for that "fact"?  And the "implication", meaning a conclusion can be drawn that "Big Coat pocketed the extra money".  These are serious allegations.  Again, where's your evidence?  (Incidentally, in the real world, funds would be retained and not disbursed to the gc until the work was properly completed and signed off by inspectors, if/when required.)

You compare LIOLI to the "artificial" timelines of the crasher series, apparently making the point that the LIOLI reno must be incomplete - like other reality TV renovations.  How do you know for certain that reality television renos are incomplete?  It's important to separate the filming of a television program from a real-life renovation.  Seriously, do you believe that Josh shows up randomly one afternoon at HD and completes a (shoddy) renovation over the next three days, end of story? 

How about this theory:  after properly qualified participants are selected by the producers / casting directors on the basis of their applications, an advance team prepares a crasher series renovation, reviews professionally prepared plans, secures necessary permits, orders materials, hires the appropriate contractors and then, only then BTW, schedules Josh to meet one of the spouses at HD to commence a properly prepared renovation, completing the work to the homeowners' satisfaction, taking as much construction time as required, while filming a 30 minute episode.

Instead of accepting the lines uttered by the reality television actors as fact, e.g. renos are done in 3 days and so on, how about we assume the lines were false and alternatively, believe that reality television renovations are properly completed, to the homeowners' satisfaction, off-camera.

Here's CNN's article, if anyone's interested:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/19/entertainment/love-it-list-it-hgtv-suit/index.html

Incidentally, all those phrases, "according to the suit", "the suit states", and/or "the suit alleges" introduce unsubstantiated allegations.  Plaintiffs don't submit evidence when filing.  In some states but not all, they're legally required to have a good faith basis for filing but that's normally broadly interpreted and largely ignored, at least in my experience..

If you're interested in "seeing what happens next", then surely, like me, you're interested in waiting for the evidence?  I'll give you that benefit of the doubt.

Edited by aguabella

There are articles everywhere and they all say the same thing, all based on the plaintiff's complaint and nothing else. There is no evidence provided by the plaintiffs, only claims. I haven't even seen pictures, since it would seem the plaintiffs released this information to get public support on their side (I'm assuming that's how it got out, maybe it came out another way). If it was the plaintiff's who released the information first, it's surprising they didn't make it a bit more compelling of a case by showing before and after pictures or shots of the shoddy work. It would have helped people have a better idea of how bad things were done.

I have no issues believing the work has fallen apart or wasn't done up to standards, because that happens unfortunately. But their complaints and seeming indignation about it being a staged TV production, ring rather hollow to me. They signed up for a TV show on their own not by force, and they agreed to it all. Then they were surprised that a TV show was run like a TV production.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:40 AM, JasmineFlower said:

I have no issues believing the work has fallen apart or wasn't done up to standards, because that happens unfortunately. But their complaints and seeming indignation about it being a staged TV production, ring rather hollow to me. They signed up for a TV show on their own not by force, and they agreed to it all. Then they were surprised that a TV show was run like a TV production.

All renovations will be will be a slow slog through hell to get an acceptable result, TV show or no TV show.  But knowing that, I would never hand $140,000 to a TV show and allow them to be involved in the process.  I'm not sure you could pay me to deal with that.

But I say this, having just spent the last ten months trying to get my 4 day landscaping job done.  Although I admittedly took a four month break in the middle because I was sick of bitching at them and it was winter.  I would definitely list it over ever doing a reno.

I just saw the LIOLI that took place in Raleigh last June.  Two men, one of them a chef (who was quite upset with Hillary!) and a house with all kinds of nasty unseen issues (like ancient sewer and water pipes that would cost a FORTUNE to replace, etc.,).  They didn't even have a garage and lived in an old section of the city.  In a way, it was the most uncomfortable episode for me to watch because the chef was really getting angrier and angrier.  Then, the phone rang and I couldn't get off (long distance from a far away cousin) so I don't really know for sure if they were going to love it or list it.  I hope to heck they got out of that house.

On 2016-03-19 at 7:58 AM, wonderwoman said:

Please...

Actually that's probably accurate England has some pretty strong truth in advertising and television laws there is actually a disclaimer verifying the accuracy of the show in the credits.  Secondly labor and some materials are a lot cheaper in the UK.  Especially in certain areas.  That's why you'd notice if watch some more episodes the prices for the work varies so much. Based on what I've seen on other UK shows this one is telling the truth

On 2015-12-29 at 10:42 AM, Gardencrown said:

I know this is old, but:

1. New builds mixed with older homes = people buying old homes and then tearing it down to rebuild into a (mini) McMansion.  This was happening A LOT in the early 90s with Hong Kong immigrants coming to the city.  They (and my family included) prefer newer homes over old - especially mid-century ones.  Heritage homes are okay by some (though not my dad.  He says there's too much to maintain)

2. Traffic/transit is HORRIBLE here.  And many of us (like me...and my mother, as well) prefer to walk/take transit.  I moved from the 'burbs to a more urban/walkable area 15 years ago and have become much, much healthier without my diet changing too much.  I maintain a more "old world" style shopping schedule by going food shopping about three times a week.  On foot.  I'm lucky to live just STEPS from the subway.   

• Love 3

I'm watching a marathon while I'm "working from home". What is the contractor's name? Kenny? Why does he always seems to be so annoyed or is he just terrible at acting about the "problem". The last 3-4 episodes I've seen, he has been so over the top angry telling Jillian about the issue, it's making me wonder what instruction he was given for his scenes. Considering none of this is real, I can watch with a skeptical enough eye.

I can barely tolerate the original version, so this one is a tough pill. Plus the repetitive formula, nah.

Interesting new episode last night featuring the Indian couple who had the 1980's house on the pond.  He seemed pretty funny and good natured.  She didn't show much emotion either way.  I actually liked the interesting set-up on their main floor and although Hilary did a fine job with the renovation and modernizing of the fireplace, I would have left it alone.  The rooms off of rooms in the upstairs was crazy!  I imagine that they didn't have an issue with their young son's bedroom being on the first floor because he stayed in their bed anyway.  

I don't know why the son couldn't have had that room that was next to/part of the playroom with the guest bed (?) separated by the accordion door.  Then the media room could've been downstairs away from her bedroom where the boy's bedroom was going to go.  It looks like there was ample room everywhere.  Also don't know why they couldn't have installed more windows in that office (like floor-to-ceiling even with that slant), but then maybe the roof was there so he could only have basically sky lights.  For someone who made a fuss about needing a view, he really didn't have any in that office - unless watching leaves pile on the ceiling windows is appealing to look at.

That house seemed crazy spacious.

• Love 1

Am watching the British version, so much better than those Vancouver clowns.

Also enjoy the translation chyrons:   "Cracking = Impressive"

Biggest laugh is when they get cute by using the pound symbol  in the title it looks like "Love It Or Fist It."