Type keyword(s) to search

Love It Or List It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I didn't understand the reno on the third floor of the house tonight.  It was a bedroom and also a teen hang out space, but it was all open concept?  And the bedroom side just looked like a lounge, not really a bedroom.  So the kid lost out on a real bedroom for this lounge?  And yeah, the two teens could decide when they wanted to hang out up there with their friends?  Not like that wouldn't cause any arguments, especially if the one who had the bedroom/lounge wanted to sleep or be alone in their room.   It looked nice, but seemed a little sparse.  I also noticed that the baby's room was the same color as the girls' room.  Saving by buying the paint in bulk?

I was also thinking of when Hilary redid the kitchen, why doesn't she repurpose the cabinets more often as it would allow for more updates in other rooms?  Or even try to salvage the cabinets so they can resell them - again adding more money back into the budget.  Even if the new cabinets are at a huge discount, I just find it a little wasteful to trash some usable items.  Someone else could repurpose it and make it work for them.

Any time the homeowners have kids getting close to college age, I think if Hilary does a halfway decent job, they seem to love it.  Seems reasonable as they are going to have either expenses coming up or the kids will be leaving the nest soon enough.

Last night shocked me in that Hillary was able to do almost everything the homeowners needed.  I've never seen that.  Of course they were going to love it.

However I did get to thinking that they still have only 2 bathrooms.  That's not enough for 9 people, plus it looked like they had mostly girls.  I agree with hoosier80's assessment of the attic.  We have no idea if the house even had a basement since they don't always show you all of the rooms in the house.

After reading various articles about the show over the years, I watch it with an entirely different premise.  I don't believe there's any "decision" at the end - IMHO the outcome's predetermined.  So, Hilary's completing the actual work list, i.e. not the show's list.  The homeowners already know what tasks will be completed (they agreed upon them prior to the start of filming) and the budget covers those items and nothing more or less.

Most of the time when the outcome was "list it", it sounds to me as if the work was more along the lines of home inspection punch list items and/or the types of things that you'd be more likely to do in preparation to sell your home.

Lately, they've had more "love it" episodes - or it's seemed that way, anyway.  I believe tptb dropped their previous habit of evening the episodes up (that is the overall tally or score between love it v. list it episodes) b/c they figured out (surprise, surprise) that word would get out when show participants didn't sell their home subsequent to their appearance.  Guess a few too many participants had to say they'd magically changed their mind, lol, after filming!

So, anyway, WRT the latest NC episode, they would have agreed upon the minor kitchen reno, in advance of filming.  Hilary doesn't make those decisions on behalf of the homeowners as work moves along, IMHO.  Good thing she didn't gut the kitchen when they did demo, right?  (She knew they weren't doing it, lol.)  You're correct, NYGirl about the spaces - they've been busted multiple times hiding rooms and spaces so who knows what the family's actual situation was??? 

WRT the open concept attic, every teenager I know would love disappearing, away from their bratty younger siblings, to that space.  The bedroom's no different than an open, loft bedroom.  If a curfew's needed for the younger kids, their parents can set one or simply enforce their regular bedtime.  No worries. 

Even though you make a good point about the teenager / college-age kids and staying put, hoosier80, you never know on LIOLI.  Tptb might decide that David needs a win or two and edit a few episodes, accordingly.  IIRC, one of the articles I read indicated that LIOLI is known as a "reno" program around Toronto b/c that's what most of the couples sign up for.  Statistically, sellers don't recoup home improvement $$$ so most don't sink cash into a home prior to sale unless and until an inspection requires it, IMHO.

Anyone else notice all the night shoots they did in NC?  Feels like they were either incredibly far behind on their shooting schedule and/or failed to allocate enough time there.  Everything's a little tougher when you're on the road, IMHO.  In each of these NC episodes so far, Hilary looks totally spent - just exhausted - to me. 

As mentioned previously, I was surprised they were still casting NC episodes in mid-September.  A few of the scenes look as if they may have been added after-the-fact.  Interesting b/c HGTV's production companies don't typically return and shoot b-roll during post-production.  Little strange when they did one scene w/Eric and Hilary in front of the home.  They had Eric hold a tool but he didn't enter the home as the camera faded away, lol.  At least they shot that during the daytime hours!

Happy about one thing - no Zillow promo during this episode!    

Edited by aguabella

I didn't watch most of this episode, but enough to really dislike this couple.
If you choose to have 7 kids, then you owe it to them to forego a master bath reno to give them some more bedrooms.
What selfish people.

• Love 2

Thanks for the info, Sarahendipity.  Will check it out.  So they have bedrock there?

Yes, Lions Bay is set into the mountains. It's right off the Sea to Sky Highway, and seriously beautiful!

I didn't watch most of this episode, but enough to really dislike this couple.

If you choose to have 7 kids, then you owe it to them to forego a master bath reno to give them some more bedrooms.

What selfish people.

JMHO but I don't remember them coming off that way.  (Were a few adopted plus an accident?)  Didn't get the impression those kids were wanting for anything - most importantly, love.

• Love 1

I just watched the episode (new to me but I assume it's a rerun) where the wife is pregnant and about to pop any second.  The couple has a 3-story 1930s (I think) bungalow with the master bedroom on the top floor and are worried about about how the layout of the house will work if the nursery is on a different floor from the master, plus the basement is finished but empty - husband hopes to have it turned into a movie room - and the laundry room is also down in the basement with the wife hoping to get that redone somehow.  They also both wanted the main floor made into an open concept and the kitchen redone.

The whole time I just kept thinking that the wife looked kind of old to be pregnant, and her voice sounded like a 100-year-old woman.  On top of the usual bad wiring and leaky shower shenanigans, the husband tells Jillian that he needs a rush on renovations because the baby is coming sooner than they thought or some such thing.  Then when Todd is supposed to be showing them the third house possibility, the wife can't come because she's on bed rest and then suddenly the husband has to leave because she's having the baby.  Later, when the couple arrives to see the completed renovations, the wife's stomach is somewhat deflated but no baby is in sight because it's with the grandparents.

I don't know.  Maybe because of how manufactured I know these shows are anyway, I just wouldn't put it past them for the "baby" to have been a basketball under the wife's top the whole time.  That's what these shows have done to me!

I saw that one Blue Plastic!!  Yes! I thought she looked older and I wondered about her pregnancy.  The timeline at the end was very screwed up.  When he asked Jillian to hurry up because the baby is coming it left no doubt in my mind that they would "love" it.  And it definitely was a long while later if she indeed did have the baby because her stomach was very flat.

• Love 1

I saw that one Blue Plastic!!  Yes! I thought she looked older and I wondered about her pregnancy.  The timeline at the end was very screwed up.  When he asked Jillian to hurry up because the baby is coming it left no doubt in my mind that they would "love" it.  And it definitely was a long while later if she indeed did have the baby because her stomach was very flat.

Don't usually watch reruns but think I'd missed about 1/2 of that one on the first airing so picked it up from the last marathon.

Agree that she looked a little older but that actually could be consistent with the "bed rest" claim.  The scene with the guy and Todd was obviously set-up - where the guy viewed the last home alone and then rushed off b/c his wife had supposedly, suddenly gone into labor.  Yeah, whatever, show.  Had to get that bit of drama in.

WRT her stomach, IMHO it wasn't that deflated.  JMHO but I wouldn't call it "very flat".  (I was checking it out.)  She was still wearing an oversized/maternity top and yes, appeared flatter, but probably had some baby weight to work on later, if that was her preference.  Her appearance was consistent with other postnatal women - at least in my limited experience. 

I actually wasn't convinced they'd "love it" and I usually have a strong sense of these things.  One would assume that post-pregnancy, a couple wouldn't be making significant changes.  OTOH, Jillian's "nursery" consisted of a bassinet placed in an alcove in the master.  So, Jillian's work could have easily been staging for sale b/c no formal nursery was completed.

In conclusion, who knows?  If tptb hadn't shown a pregnancy plot recently, it's certainly possible they faked the entire thing.  Definitely agree with you, Blue Plastic, on that score.  You're also correct that they often film scenes out of order, NYGirl.  Have noticed that multiple times on reality shows with pregnant participants.   

It's also suspect b/c they didn't show the obligatory new baby photo at the end of the episode.  Not required but it's always nice to see.  I'm sure the couple signed their non-disclosure so we'd need their friends and family members to spill the beans.

• Love 1

I can't believe I'm still thinking about this days later, LOL!  It's just that some parts of it were obviously either faked completely or out of order, as you said, like with the wife suddenly going into labor while the husband is looking at the third house prospect (yeah right) that it made me highly suspicious.  Plus as you said that bassinet was rather small and looked more like a prop or toy - they had made a big deal of the husband saying they desperately needed a rush job because the baby would be coming soon, yet the "rush job" included a tiny wicker bassinet that would either not work at all or that the baby would outgrow within weeks.  A tiny chair off in a corner was the only place for a sleep-deprived new parent to sit up at night with a hungry/wet/crying newborn.  And no quick peek at the baby or even a picture after all the "OMG baby baby baby" mentions throughout the whole rest of the episode.  It starts to make me think they didn't even "love it" because of the way it was staged or that the furniture used to stage it wasn't really what the couple was actually going to be keeping.

A "3-story bungalow"? Not possible. A bungalow by definition is a one storey house.

I think it can have two stories, but the second floor is built in the roof, with dormer windows. But not three stories. Unless they're counting a basement as a story.

I just started watching reruns of this show a few weeks ago and am enjoying it, but one thing bothers me. In the episode I'm watching right now, the homeowners just found out their deck was never permitted and has to be torn down. They're very upset and the wife sounds like she's blaming Hilary for the problem. Didn't they check this out when they bought the house? Real estate practices in Canada can't be that different from those in the States. I recently bought my 3rd house and wouldn't dream of closing without a title search and proof that everything was legal.

• Love 2

I just started watching reruns of this show a few weeks ago and am enjoying it, but one thing bothers me. In the episode I'm watching right now, the homeowners just found out their deck was never permitted and has to be torn down. They're very upset and the wife sounds like she's blaming Hilary for the problem. Didn't they check this out when they bought the house? Real estate practices in Canada can't be that different from those in the States. I recently bought my 3rd house and wouldn't dream of closing without a title search and proof that everything was legal.

Yes, inspections are completed in Canada prior to RE purchases.  I suspect it's similar to the U.S., however.  Prospective purchasers may determine that the deck isn't up to code and negotiate a price reduction, receiving cash back out of escrow in order to remedy the situation.

Then they pocket the cash and continue using the deck, going on their merry way.  That is, until it's time to consider unloading the property.  WRT LIOLI, that was the episode's designated drama, IIRC.

All, JMHO, naturally.

Edited by aguabella

WTF is up with glass doors on the kid's rooms?? I still don't believe she is going to be satisfied with being in the kitchen looking out at the pool if she needed to have glass doors on the kids rooms. All this show has taught me is that people have way too much shit in their houses and would benefit from a purge more than anything.

• Love 1

Pool episode? Don't remember the glass doors specifically but I'm sure she'll be satisfied. The homeowners work with the off-camera designers and team so the reno is completed to their specification.

WRT the crap, everybody has too much stuff, agreed. In HGTV-land, ie reality tv, a fair amount of it was placed for dramatic effect. Do u know anyone who'd allow their house to appear like that on camera? Guess the $$$ benefits plus fame is worth it to these people.

Edited by aguabella

I think the producers purposely mess up and clutter for the episode.  They make the houses look bad and they always show people jockeying for position in the bathroom (who really does that in real life?  Answer:  no one).  They try and make it look like there's not enough room for everyone.  I cannot imagine allowing my house to look like that on TV unless it was "fakedy fake".

• Love 1

I think the producers purposely mess up and clutter for the episode.  They make the houses look bad and they always show people jockeying for position in the bathroom (who really does that in real life?  Answer:  no one).  They try and make it look like there's not enough room for everyone.  I cannot imagine allowing my house to look like that on TV unless it was "fakedy fake".

Totally agree, NYGirl.  Do you remember the episode on LIOLI (the mothership) with the realtor husband and attorney wife where they hid, meaning never filmed, their basement bedroom, office and utility floor/laundry room?  During the opening scenes of that episode, they showed the couple's (nice, BTW) master bath for literally about 10 seconds.  The mbr and mba never made another appearance during the show. 

Yep, you guessed it - they filmed the couple in the kids' bath, fighting for space over the sink to brush their teeth.  Can't remember but they probably called it the "family bath".  Ridiculous!

In a totally unexpected development, I ran into David in downtown Raleigh tonight while watching a friend's band play at a bar here (the Oxford on Fayetteville Street). Apparently they've been filming in the Triangle since September and David said would have at least two seasons based in NC. They were based out of Chapel Hill to start so presumably that's where the first episodes of the new season (starting March 9? or 8? The bar was LOUD.) but must be filming closer to Raleigh/Durham now as he said he's living downtown now (the PNC Tower - terrific building, close to everything). He had great things to say about Raleigh - he loves the downtown, as do I  - and about Hillary and the show. The show's director was there with him and was also very nice. In a moment that made me like him very much, he and the director also took time to talk to my friend, the band's lead singer, during one of their breaks and were very complimentary about their performance. He's also more attractive in person, I must admit - dressed casually and without the TV makeup, he looks less slick and "salesman-y".

Edited to add: Talked with my friend the singer and David and the director stayed until the end of the night. They exchanged numbers with my friend because they really enjoyed her band and wanted her to let them know when her next gig is. He was so nice - I might have a little crush on him now, even though he drives me a little bonkers on the show. Nice goes a looooong way with me. I also forgot to mention, I was telling him how much my mum enjoys the show too - she wasn't with me at the gig - and he gave me one of his business cards to give to her - and signed it when I asked him to. He seemed kind of surprised to be recognized, honestly. 

Edited by MichaelaRae
  • Love 13

Of course it's messed up by the producers for drama. As if the viewers are stupid, ugh. To make a room look too small or lacking storage, they have drawers and cabinets half open with stuff spilling out. No one lives like that. Or they'll show a too small kitchen by showing they can't open the oven and dishwasher at the same time. Sure, that's tight, but you really wouldn't need to open them at the same time. Just silly.

Lucky you, Michaela Rae!  Nice to hear about David.  IIRC, participants have mentioned that he plays with their kids during breaks on set.

Yes, those previous episodes were around Chapel Hill.  On my schedule, they're starting back up on 3/9.  Oh, goody, lol!

Definitely most of these homes look like they'd have a lot more space if they just tidied up some!

Funny, I used to always joke with my husband about how normal people that live in the same house don't all try to brush their teeth at once and how ridiculous the bathroom scenes are, because like us most people probably wait for the person to finish brushing their teeth before they do so, and it's not like it's usually a big deal.  Then one evening we were in a rush and found we were actually doing the toothbrushing dance.   Made me laugh.  

It annoys me how sometimes something that is a big deal on house #1 being unacceptable, surprise, by house #3 is fine.  

I really wish they'd mix things up so it's not so predictable.  Maybe show just 1 house that they like...rather than just the 3rd.  Maybe have something small be wrong with their house that the contingency will take care of.  Maybe not use such high end finishes or furniture to pay for what's wrong with the house.

I've just about given up on this show due to the predictability.

I really wish they'd mix things up so it's not so predictable.  Maybe show just 1 house that they like...rather than just the 3rd.  Maybe have something small be wrong with their house that the contingency will take care of.  Maybe not use such high end finishes or furniture to pay for what's wrong with the house.

I've just about given up on this show due to the predictability.

I definitely know what you mean, NYGirl.  For some strange reason, I continue to enjoy viewing Vancouver and Toronto RE so I keep hanging in.  Don't know why!

The last Vancouver episode (family with 2 daughters cramped in attic-like bedroom) was slightly different.  When they entered the first house that was supposedly in their neighborhood, a feeling came over me that they'd already bought it!  Don't know why and they didn't say anything, but ...

Yes, at the conclusion, they indicated House 1 was their reason to "list it".  Have to say that the Too off-camera designer's been doing a great job, IMHO, recently.  This family said that if they could transplant the 1st floor (the Too reno) to the other house, they would.  I would, too!  BTW, the other house was o.k.

On an episode a few weeks back, they actually used some kitchen cabinets I'd never seen before.  They were see-through, i.e. not only glass fronts but glass backs.  What a great way to show off some of that Vancouver scenery or a lovely garden, if a view's available.

WRT the high-end finishes, I know what you mean but doubt it's a factor.  I believe they're getting promotional discounts for much of it.  Plus, the staging items are returned after the shoot.

Lately, they've been doing their best to mix up the scenarios.  Feels like the show's improved.  Wow, I'm not usually the "sugar" on these boards, right?  lol ...

I tend to sorta' nap through many of the predictable episodes - or at least the house search.  So, the show does serve some purpose for me!

Most importantly, if we lose you, NYGirl, we'll miss your commentary.

Looks like they were back in Durham last night. Except for the sunroom in the last house, I didn't see that much of a difference between that one and the first one they saw. I didn't notice an exponential amount of charm. But, David got his first "list" of the NC episodes.

• Love 1

I was surprised that they allowed the artist wife to sneak a plug in for her studio.

Don't know why but that couple came off (to me) as unmatched.

Hilary did a nice job - total rebuild of that cottage.

• Love 1

I saw something today I never thought I'd see. The episode was two sisters living in a townhouse. While looking with David they walked into a kitchen with formica counters in a nice gray swirl, white appliances and plain warm white tile floors. Did they say it had to be gutted? Did they insist on stainless appliances and granite? Noooooo. They thought it was so cute and nice. Somebody obviously didn't get the Holy Trinity memo and I like 'em for it!

• Love 7

I absolutely love Jillian Harris' designs but especially her floral/greenery arrangements. I've been searching for days and can't find any pics online (even on her website), and I'm too lazy to rewatch the episodes.

Caught a marathon over the weekend and have to say that the home-schooler with 7 kids really bothered me.  The inequities of the bedroom distribution -- 4 kids in one, the other 3 each with his/her own? -- really bugged me.  And she wouldn't give up the home school space?  Very odd duck...

• Love 2

Somebody tell me that you watched "A Couple Contemplates Keeping it Country or Taking it to the City" with the "beauty blogger" and amateur race car driver. That Shayna is the worst. She hates the staircase? Who hates a staircase? She even hates walking on it? Huh? And how about instead of complaining about not being able to fit their friends in their dining room without adding a card table they just, umm, buy a bigger dining table? And I don't understand why a washer/ dryer on the second floor would be an issue. Okay, their master bedroom is on the first floor, but most two-story homes I know have the washer/ dryer on the first floor and the master bedroom on the second floor, so Shayna really is no martyr for (gasp!) carrying laundry up a flight of stairs. So many of her complaints (like paint color) could easily be fixed if she and her husband actually did a little work on the house--well, except her staircase issue. I'm really not sure how she thought that one could be fixed.

• Love 4

Somebody tell me that you watched "A Couple Contemplates Keeping it Country or Taking it to the City" with the "beauty blogger" and amateur race car driver. That Shayna is the worst. 

I watched it. The husband is the brother of an old childhood friend.  I did think that the wife was OTT, but I'm not sure how much of that was producer drama.  I was pretty sure they were going to love it, but the last house that they were shown was definitely a contender.

• Love 1

I saw something today I never thought I'd see. The episode was two sisters living in a townhouse. While looking with David they walked into a kitchen with formica counters in a nice gray swirl, white appliances and plain warm white tile floors. Did they say it had to be gutted? Did they insist on stainless appliances and granite? Noooooo. They thought it was so cute and nice. Somebody obviously didn't get the Holy Trinity memo and I like 'em for it!

That's all well and good but tell me, what finishes did Hilary use at their place?  Was it a "love it" episode?  How about the infamous house #3 - it's finishes?

Easy enough to call something cute or charming but at the end of the day, only money talks, lol!

The other thing is, tptb could have edited them.  What episode was it?  I only view the new episodes and that one doesn't ring a bell. 

Was it the sisters living on separate floors of a home?  Maybe one on a couple of floors with an adult child and the other in the basement?  That's an oldie, IIRC.

I seriously cannot stand this show and it all boils down to the hosts and their bickering and smack talk. The smug 'I'm so going to win' schtick is so obviously fake and it grates on my last nerve.

Well, different strokes for different folks, because that's exactly what I love about this show! Hilary and David have great chemistry, and the longer the show goes on, the harder it is for them to keep a straight face. This is one show that I quickly realized had nothing to do with reality but I don't care, it's the most entertaining home improvement/real estate show out there. Love the corny jokes, adore Hilary's designs (I assume she has at least something to do with them), and I always look forward to new episodes. Too bad so many are reruns. Also find it amusing that their clients have to come across as angry and unreasonable. Some of them are either fantastic actors or more likely, are truly obnoxious people in real life. But many others are obviously struggling to act upset with the two hosts and can barely contain their laughter. I also adore the narration - pretty sure it's Aisha Tyler, one of my favourite TV hosts and voiceover artists.

In contrast, I wave my hand to the Vancouver edition. Jillian is relentlessly fake and lacking in charm and her designs are cheap and tacky looking, despite the much higher Vancouver budget. Todd is kind of cute, in a lost puppy kind of way. Maybe if they recast Jillian, the spinoff could approach the wit and humour of the original.

• Love 2

This show, and the original recipe, just boggle my mind! First, the outrageous prices of the houses; then, homeowners sitting on property worth a pretty penny who don't take care of said property. I realize a lot of stuff is producer-driven, but producers certainly didn't cause a fire inside the wall on the latest show. Maybe the homeowners are just pretending to be ignorant, but why would you go on tv to have people think that you're too stupid to own a house? For a free renovation that's well within your budget anyway?

I ignore the fake and look at it exactly the same way, PreBabylonia.  IMHO the show's about the tete-a-tete between Hilary and David.

I, too, assume Hilary's involved, at least somewhat, in the designs, even though Desta receives the title "Designer" on the show's credits.

IMHO Jillian's acting skills are lacking.  Not sure who's doing the designs.  Danna's (Sp?) a design asst.  They seem better lately so perhaps tptb brought in a new designer.

You probably already know that only the Monday, 9pm ET/PT episodes are new, right?  Well, that is, just since they started their new season a few weeks ago.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2

I watched it. The husband is the brother of an old childhood friend.  I did think that the wife was OTT, but I'm not sure how much of that was producer drama.  I was pretty sure they were going to love it, but the last house that they were shown was definitely a contender.

I saw the show and considered it all producer-driven.  Felt as if tptb were scratching to find issues, in fact.  Thought the wife was fine.  Yes, I give these people the benefit of the doubt unless it's obvious they're not putting on!

IMHO a fairly traditional style is popular in NC.  When I saw Eric / Hilary's more contemporary finishes in their home, including the darker floors and stair railing, I was 99% sure they stayed.  Thought they would have done traditional for staging purposes, similar to the 3rd home toured. 

Another thing:  do they live around Apex, Apocalypse Cow?  IIRC, the 3rd home was something like 10 minutes closer to the city than Apex. Why would they have bought in the country / outer burbs a year ago and then up and move for such a small commute difference?  It was still the burbs, IMHO.

And, more importantly, I thought that was a gorgeous piece of property they'd scored!  Why would they give that up for a tract home?   

Edited by aguabella

I've changed my mind. I really like Eric, the NC contractor. He is funny and more cheerful than Eddie.

I like them both but don't compare them.  It appears they're fulfilling different roles on the show.  Desta's given the title "Designer" on the Toronto episode show credits and Eric appears to be replacing her.  They seem to be using NC gc's to complete the construction. 

BTW, have checked but can't remember seeing Eddie listed as the gc for Toronto.  Guess he and Fergus have the SAG cards so they take the speaking parts?  Anyone know?

Desta might be a tad concerned at this point - Eric plays off Hilary so incredibly well!  It's like another form of Hilary/David tandem, IMHO.

• Love 1

That's all well and good but tell me, what finishes did Hilary use at their place?  Was it a "love it" episode?  How about the infamous house #3 - it's finishes?

Easy enough to call something cute or charming but at the end of the day, only money talks, lol!

The other thing is, tptb could have edited them.  What episode was it?  I only view the new episodes and that one doesn't ring a bell. 

Was it the sisters living on separate floors of a home?  Maybe one on a couple of floors with an adult child and the other in the basement?  That's an oldie, IIRC.

I didn't see this, sorry.  We just got cable again and I've been glutted on HGTV so it's all running together. One sister was blond, had a son, and the father had died so she moved back in with her sister, whom she'd lived with before. They'd originally bought thetownhouse together before the blond sister got married/widowed. I remember it was a townhouse because both sisters were concerned about upkeep on a traditional home vs. another townhouse. The brunette sister was heavy. She's the one who loved the "ugly" kitchen. They did end up Loving, but Brunette Sis missed the perfect opportunity to lay it on with that kitchen, hehe. It was probably a friend's kitche. I don't remember what, if anything, Hillary did to their kitchen. I think she spent the mula on the basement and kid's room. 

Being someone who doesn't understand the obsession with kitchens I found it refreshing that they didn't seem to give a crap either. Not that I can't appreciate a beautiful kitchen, but given a set budget the last thing I'd do is spend 75% of it on prettying up a kitchen. That's what paint and sweat equity is for in my world. 

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 2

This show, and the original recipe, just boggle my mind! First, the outrageous prices of the houses; then, homeowners sitting on property worth a pretty penny who don't take care of said property. I realize a lot of stuff is producer-driven, but producers certainly didn't cause a fire inside the wall on the latest show. Maybe the homeowners are just pretending to be ignorant, but why would you go on tv to have people think that you're too stupid to own a house? For a free renovation that's well within your budget anyway?

I've wondered the same thing. I can't figure out how much is producer staging or real grossness, but some of these people should be on Hoarders instead of this program. And I always wonder what the post-reno rooms look like after the owners have moved all their crap back in and they and their kids have trashed it. Or what their pretty new homes look like after the family has lived there a month (if they List). Who knows what's going on inside the walls when that's how they care for their visible areas. At least one lady did promise to stop hoarding, and I thought that was the most insightful comment I'd ever seen on the show. 

I've wondered the same thing. I can't figure out how much is producer staging or real grossness, but some of these people should be on Hoarders instead of this program. And I always wonder what the post-reno rooms look like after the owners have moved all their crap back in and they and their kids have trashed it. Or what their pretty new homes look like after the family has lived there a month (if they List). Who knows what's going on inside the walls when that's how they care for their visible areas. At least one lady did promise to stop hoarding, and I thought that was the most insightful comment I'd ever seen on the show. 

I believe the shoes outside and messes are totally producer-driven.  That's JMHO b/c I've never met anyone who would allow their home to be shown on camera that way let alone live that way.  They've only had 1 true hoarder episode, IMHO.

WRT the last Vancouver family, they had a reno budget of 140K.  When I hear a budget that high, I automatically assume the crew will "find" (lol) hidden problems.  Yep, sure enough - that house had several issues.  The large budget confirms, IMHO, that they knew about the issues and provided the $$$ to cover them. 

WRT the fire, at one point they mentioned those people had purchased the home and lived in Vancouver less than a year.  My thinking was that the problems had been uncovered during their purchase inspection and they'd (possibly) received a repair allowance but hadn't immediately fixed everything.  (Know anyone who just pocketed that cash and lived with whatever issue exists in the home?)  These folks understand that once you open the walls up, everything must be brought up to code.  I have no idea, BTW - am just speculating.

Sure enough, they "loved it".  After saying they'd just moved there, I didn't buy them moving again.

I saw the show and considered it all producer-driven.  Felt as if tptb were scratching to find issues, in fact.  Thought the wife was fine.  Yes, I give these people the benefit of the doubt unless it's obvious they're not putting on!

IMHO a fairly traditional style is popular in NC.  When I saw Eric / Hilary's more contemporary finishes in their home, including the darker floors and stair railing, I was 99% sure they stayed.  Thought they would have done traditional for staging purposes, similar to the 3rd home toured. 

Another thing:  do they live around Apex, Apocalypse Cow?  IIRC, the 3rd home was something like 10 minutes closer to the city than Apex. Why would they have bought in the country / outer burbs a year ago and then up and move for such a small commute difference?  It was still the burbs, IMHO.

And, more importantly, I thought that was a gorgeous piece of property they'd scored!  Why would they give that up for a tract home?   

I felt it was producer-driven also.  They do live around Apex.  And I knew they were going to stay. The land alone was worth staying. The only place I would have been tempted by was the older home that was way over their budget... and I'm not even sure what neighborhood it was in, and it would have depended on that, really.  You're right, though--- traditional is very popular in NC--- and so that kinda ruled out house 3 for them since they were looking for something more modern.

There's the purchase inspection, but also a bank inspection if you're getting a mortgage and an inspection by your homeowners insurance carrier. No insurance company is going to let you get away with ignoring the kinds of problems that have been turning up on this show, and it seems like an awful lot of trouble to buy a house with structural or safety issues with the hope that some tv show is going to come along and fix them for you. Now, if the walls were opened and the production company inflicted damage to beef up the story, that's just sick. 

Did anyone else have a sense of déjà vu with this couple - Stephen & Stephanie (140K budget)?  They were on the original show in season four (episode 2, Steven & Stephanie).  Notice that the production company changed the spelling of his name.

Wow, frequent flyers, huh!  JMHO but I suspect one of the interns misspelled his name. 

There's the purchase inspection, but also a bank inspection if you're getting a mortgage and an inspection by your homeowners insurance carrier. No insurance company is going to let you get away with ignoring the kinds of problems that have been turning up on this show, and it seems like an awful lot of trouble to buy a house with structural or safety issues with the hope that some tv show is going to come along and fix them for you. Now, if the walls were opened and the production company inflicted damage to beef up the story, that's just sick. 

We know that tptb trump up these situations for dramatic effect so I doubt most of these things are that serious.  It's reality television, i.e. not real.  Sounds like this particular Vancouver couple's a special case b/c they already had a relationship with the producers so perhaps they did have the LIOLI team scheduled in advance of their purchase.

Inspectors don't open up walls or other closed spaces and aren't required to find hidden issues.  If there's evidence in plain sight, e.g. moisture in a basement, that's another story.  That said, their reports typically just recommend further analysis and/or contain a repair estimate. 

Anyone purchasing an older home must realize that once you start opening up walls, you'll uncover problems and definitely need add'l contingency $$$.  JMHO

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 3

That's JMHO b/c I've never met anyone who would allow their home to be shown on camera that way let alone live that way.

I agree. I don't know anyone who lives like this, but we just spent a couple of months house hunting. We looked at some fixer-uppers in the mid $140's (American) range. Wow! I felt like leaving Hillary's and Eddie's card in some of those places. And these homes were occupied! (We decided to buy move-in-ready after that, lol). I don't doubt that most of it's producer-driven but.........

Having said all that, these shows make me glad we didn't buy a fixer. I'm already giving my walls and crawl space the side-eye because my "new" house was built in 1993. 

Edited by bubbls

I absolutely love Jillian Harris' designs but especially her floral/greenery arrangements. I've been searching for days and can't find any pics online (even on her website), and I'm too lazy to rewatch the episodes.

Are you certain Jillian's involved in the design?  Floral sounds like something they'd commission from a local florist.  Have you tried asking a question on the show's FB or twitter or other social media? 

Is Jillian the actual, behind-the-scenes designer on LIOLI, Too or just the on-camera talent?  We know that Hilary's a designer IRL but  Desta's given the title "Designer" on the credits for LIOLI.  I assume Hilary's involved to some extent.

WRT Jillian's background, I understand her resume was fairly thin when she took on this role.  IIRC, her portfolio consisted primarily of her parents' home.  Danna (Sp?) is a design asst. and I believe someone else is listed as "Designer" on the LIOLI, too credits.

Filming requires a significant amount of time.  My understanding is they shoot around 80 hours for a 1 hour / 44 minute episode and film on 3-4 episodes simultaneously.  So, it wouldn't surprise me if Jillian and Hilary just review or comment on the background designer's work.  JMHO

• Love 1

I didn't see this, sorry.  We just got cable again and I've been glutted on HGTV so it's all running together. One sister was blond, had a son, and the father had died so she moved back in with her sister, whom she'd lived with before. They'd originally bought thetownhouse together before the blond sister got married/widowed. I remember it was a townhouse because both sisters were concerned about upkeep on a traditional home vs. another townhouse. The brunette sister was heavy. She's the one who loved the "ugly" kitchen. They did end up Loving, but Brunette Sis missed the perfect opportunity to lay it on with that kitchen, hehe. It was probably a friend's kitche. I don't remember what, if anything, Hillary did to their kitchen. I think she spent the mula on the basement and kid's room. 

Being someone who doesn't understand the obsession with kitchens I found it refreshing that they didn't seem to give a crap either. Not that I can't appreciate a beautiful kitchen, but given a set budget the last thing I'd do is spend 75% of it on prettying up a kitchen. That's what paint and sweat equity is for in my world. 

Wow, that's interesting bubbls b/c I do remember those sisters lived in a townhouse!  Agree, it was probably a friend's decoy house/kitchen.

You're right - they spend so much on these kitchens!  I'm sure most of them don't realize that the 70% "return" often quoted by homestore salespeople means it costs you 30% on resale, if you're lucky and it's brand new!  

• Love 1

Having said all that, these shows make me glad we didn't buy a fixer. I'm already giving my walls and crawl space the side-eye because my "new" house was built in 1993. 

Yep, new and more updated homes have problems, too.  Can't remember the exact statistics but construction defects are fairly common.  In newer developments, it's a good idea to chat with neighbors prior to purchase, IMHO.

Edited by aguabella