Type keyword(s) to search

Love It Or List It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Txvoodoo, teachers in Canada do make good money, averaging $75,000, as do social workers. Both are government employees, so lots of benefits too. Plus, we don't pay for health care here. You can imagine how financially cushy teachers are who live in small towns, where $250,000 will get you a 4 bd, 3 bath.

I don't watch this show as much as I used to because it's always the same storyline. Hilary gets a paltry budget and homeowner wants the entire house redone. Then major issues are discovered with foundation, etc, and "something has to come off the table" but the homeowner is incensed that their crumbling house has to be repaired and they can't afford their new bathroom, storage, yada yada yada. I hate the abuse heaped on Hilary when this is not her problem. I really, really like Hilary and David and most of their crew. I did not like the episode when Hilary redid her assistant Desta's home. I have trouble watching the interaction between Hilary and Desta because of that episode. Desta came across as a not very nice person in that episode. Perhaps Desta over acted.

I feel the same about Love It or List It Too. Would it be possible to sprinkle in an episode or two when everything goes right? It does happen occasionally I think. All rehabs are not "OMG we need a new bathroom but we didn't know our foundation was crumbling!"

• Love 1

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question but here it goes.  I've only seen about 8 to 10 episodes of this show and on every one, except one, the homeowners chose to remain in the home.  Is this an accurate percentage for this show?  If so, it would seem to take the suspense out of the "decision".  In the one exception, the husband and wife were split on the love or list decision and at the end of the show audience was told they still haven't made a decision.  Am I just catching the "love it" episodes and missing the 'list it" ones or are there just not that many owners who decide to list?

• Love 2

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question but here it goes.  I've only seen about 8 to 10 episodes of this show and on every one, except one, the homeowners chose to remain in the home.  Is this an accurate percentage for this show?  If so, it would seem to take the suspense out of the "decision".  In the one exception, the husband and wife were split on the love or list decision and at the end of the show audience was told they still haven't made a decision.  Am I just catching the "love it" episodes and missing the 'list it" ones or are there just not that many owners who decide to list?

The unofficial Wikipedia tally is currently 75 love its vs. 55 list its for the original show (Hilary and David in Toronto) and 23 love its vs. 15 list its for the Vancouver spinoff (with Todd and Jillian).

• Love 2

The unofficial Wikipedia tally is currently 75 love its vs. 55 list its for the original show (Hilary and David in Toronto) and 23 love its vs. 15 list its for the Vancouver spinoff (with Todd and Jillian).

Thank You Fabricationary, apparently I caught a lot of the "love" episodes and none of the "list".  At least the shows aren't as one sided as they appeared.

Edited by momtoall
  • Love 1

Thank You Fabricationary, apparently I caught a lot of the "love" episodes and none of the "list".  At least the shows aren't as one sided as they appeared.

I don't have the recent statistics but believe you may have seen something of a streak, momtoall.  Hillary Farr gave a promo interview a few years back (sorry, couldn't find the link) and I distinctly remember her saying at that time they were roughly tied between the "love it" and "list it" options.

Obviously, tptb know the outcome in advance and can easily select on a 50/50 basis from their casting applications.  In addition, they shoot so much footage, about 80 hours for 44 minutes (a 1 hour episode) that they can film both endings and edit, appropriately.  At least 1 participant admitted, after-the-fact, that they magically "changed their mind" about listing / selling, hahahaha.  Apparently it's common knowledge around Toronto that LIOLI is basically a reno show, meaning the participants sign up to score the discounted reno.

Anyway, since Hillary's interview, approximately, it feels as if the tide turned and they've aired mostly love-it's.  It's possible that they cut back on editing them, given that the participants' friends & families obviously know if they moved.  The production company's standard non-disclosure agreement wouldn't do much for them.  It's common knowledge. 

Canada's RE market* may have also influenced the outcomes.  IIRC, for a number of reasons, they experienced a milder slowdown than the U.S., at a later date.  So, in an extended seller's market, it's possible that more participants decided to update and stay put instead of listing.

For these reasons, I believe we have seen more love-it's over the past few seasons.  Haven't heard if their RE market* improved significantly but it feels as if the tide has turned and the list-it category increased, recently.

*Canadian residents:  please correct me WRT your RE market, if necessary.  That's just what I've heard over the grapevine.  One thing to remember:  there's usually around a 6 month editing period between completion of filming and an episode's airdate.  Given that plus their casting process months earlier, the official LIOLI results, lol, may lag well behind the RE market.

Edited by BearCat49

Is this show completely faked and scripted? I am trying to figure out whether a lot of the home owners could really be as obnoxious and full of outrageous expectations as they come across on the average episode. IMO a good decluttering could solve many of their problems without even any renos.

I just saw the episode yesterday where the country guy husband derails the entire reno with his insistence on having a wood burning stove included in the design plans. Mr "I want to participate in the heating of my home" was so annoying.

• Love 2

Here in the States the couple that reduced the budget from 100 to 35 would have to disclose that bad roof. What are they waiting for. It to come crashing down with a load of snow. Even if they sold before the show aired. Once it aired... there is the proof they knew.

• Love 1

Magenta, there are lots of things like that.
When I sold a house, in MD, you had sign that there were no defects that you knew about, and you had to have proof there were no termites.
In some of the shows in Canada, there have been things that had to have been known, like new drywall over cracked foundation walls, and I just don't get it.

Here in the States the couple that reduced the budget from 100 to 35 would have to disclose that bad roof. What are they waiting for. It to come crashing down with a load of snow. Even if they sold before the show aired. Once it aired... there is the proof they knew.

Magenta, there are lots of things like that.

When I sold a house, in MD, you had sign that there were no defects that you knew about, and you had to have proof there were no termites.

In some of the shows in Canada, there have been things that had to have been known, like new drywall over cracked foundation walls, and I just don't get it.

Which episodes were these?  Reruns, I assume.

You must be talking about "list it" episodes, right?  Do you guys realize that at least a couple of the participants have admitted, after-the-fact, that they magically changed their minds about listing?

Anyone see the last two new episodes?  They were better than usual, IMHO.  The midcentury home and the townhouse?

I don't know which show Magenta meant, but I said "show in Canada," not LIOLI,but more than one Holmes show where there were hidden problems, including bad foundations drywalled over.
Don't remember which ons they were.

I don't know which show Magenta meant, but I said "show in Canada," not LIOLI,but more than one Holmes show where there were hidden problems, including bad foundations drywalled over.

Don't remember which ons they were.

This is the LIOLI forum and the thread relates to its original version, filmed in Toronto.  Given that, I would have no clue from the words "show in Canada" that you were posting about general RE matters instead of LIOLI.   

Sorry about that.  General RE information and/or threads are probably available online, elsewhere.

Edited by BearCat49

1) LIOLI is taped in Canada, it's a Canadian show. Hillary and David in Toronto. The second version tapes in Vancouver.

2) I've read that the producers tape TWO VERSIONS of the decision and pick the one they want to air. I've never seen this confirmed. And I doubt it ever would be. Supposedly the two answers were taped to keep the hillary david win/loses even. If wiki is correct, clearly 75 to 55 is NOT even...but to me, that still doesn't mean TWO endings aren't taped.

I know a bit about TV production, AND know a couple that was on another show. So I have an idea about how fake a show can be....it can be VERY fake. Sometimes they make up or tweak stuff that doesn't even need to be faked, but they think it will lend more drama to the story. It's super manipulated.

Personally I HATE that certain scenes or developments on "reality" TV shows are faked. Because is IT PRESENTED as what actually happenrd. The situations are presented as real. IF it's a scripted show the people are characters and clearly viewers are not deceived about that. But it's not so in 'reality TV.'

-- I've heard that on one shoe where change the DESIGN of the house to SELL it, that sometimes the afters weren't really finished on time so they'd just glue tiles in place or cover something up to film the reveal. And a separate work crew would come back to finish things up correctly, if need be.

-- On a show about improving the APEEAL of you show from the CURB I heard that the designers were AWOL and not communicative throughout the process sometimes and homeowners had to make calls to get discounts on the windows or roof they wanted. That the homeowner told the designers what they wanted and the designers sort of just came in for the taping.

-- One person who was on House Hunters International posted online about it saying the voiceover lied about several aspects of this episode.

I THINK it was Singapore. If I recall correctly, they said on the show he'd just moved for his job. He'd actually lived there for a few years. They said the person looking with him was a girlfriend -- she wasn't. They said his realtor was a realtor -- he was actually the buyers friend  who was visiting PRETENDING TO BE his realtor. So this so called realtor -- wasn't from Singapore, wasn't his realtor, wasn't even a realtor at all. Why would the show even lie about stuff like like? What's the point. Just say the guy had been living there and finally decided to buy. Is it really that key that you say his job just transferred him and he wanted to buy? Either way he'd still buy so why lie about it?

So now I'm thinking all the HH Int'l shows are faked. I bet the people buying have been already living in the country, and none of these are people who are "JUST" moving for jobs or retirement. None of the realtors are real. None of the friends are who they're presented to be, etc.

I just listed these as examples as to why the fakeness Love It or List It is totally believable and ruins part of the show for me.

Edited by selhars

1) LIOLI is taped in Canada, it's a Canadian show. Hillary and David in Toronto. The second version tapes in Vancouver.

2) I've read that the producers tape TWO VERSIONS of the decision and pick the one they want to air. I've never seen this confirmed. And I doubt it ever would be. Supposedly the two answers were taped to keep the hillary david win/loses even. If wiki is correct, clearly 75 to 55 is NOT even...but to me, that still doesn't mean TWO endings aren't taped.

I know a bit about TV production, AND know a couple that was on another show. So I have an idea about how fake a show can be....it can be VERY fake. Sometimes they make up or tweak stuff that doesn't even need to be faked, but they think it will lend more drama to the story. It's super manipulated.

Personally I HATE that certain scenes or developments on "reality" TV shows are faked. Because is IT PRESENTED as what actually happenrd. The situations are presented as real. IF it's a scripted show the people are characters and clearly viewers are not deceived about that. But it's not so in 'reality TV.'

-- I've heard that on one shoe where change the DESIGN of the house to SELL it, that sometimes the afters weren't really finished on time so they'd just glue tiles in place or cover something up to film the reveal. And a separate work crew would come back to finish things up correctly, if need be.

-- On a show about improving the APEEAL of you show from the CURB I heard that the designers were AWOL and not communicative throughout the process sometimes and homeowners had to make calls to get discounts on the windows or roof they wanted. That the homeowner told the designers what they wanted and the designers sort of just came in for the taping.

-- One person who was on House Hunters International posted online about it saying the voiceover lied about several aspects of this episode.

I THINK it was Singapore. If I recall correctly, they said on the show he'd just moved for his job. He'd actually lived there for a few years. They said the person looking with him was a girlfriend -- she wasn't. They said his realtor was a realtor -- he was actually the buyers friend  who was visiting PRETENDING TO BE his realtor. So this so called realtor -- wasn't from Singapore, wasn't his realtor, wasn't even a realtor at all. Why would the show even lie about stuff like like? What's the point. Just say the guy had been living there and finally decided to buy. Is it really that key that you say his job just transferred him and he wanted to buy? Either way he'd still buy so why lie about it?

So now I'm thinking all the HH Int'l shows are faked. I bet the people buying have been already living in the country, and none of these are people who are "JUST" moving for jobs or retirement. None of the realtors are real. None of the friends are who they're presented to be, etc.

I just listed these as examples as to why the fakeness Love It or List It is totally believable and ruins part of the show for me.

I'm well aware of the filming locations.  Was simply trying to determine which LIOLI "show in Canada" roof episode the previous posters were chatting about.  Never rec'd an answer, although am pretty sure I remember it.  Don't recall the gritty details so if anyone can respond ...  thanks.

The double ending taping info (IIRC) came from an actual participant.  At that point in time, the outcomes in terms of LI or LI were much more even.  Since then, have heard that Canada, later than the U.S., experienced something of a RE downturn and more h/o's were staying put.  Also, it was reported (again, IIRC) that Canadian viewers see LIOLI as primarily a "reno" show.  Sounds like tptb gave up on trying to even the score, especially since participant friends and neighbors could easily out them, if/when they used that trick.  At least one, probably more, of the participants used the excuse that they'd "changed their minds" about listing after filming the episode.  No worries - the LIOLI ptb continue to fake the show in that plus a multitude of other ways, lol. 

WRT HHI, it sounds as if you're referring to the infamous Hong Kong episode.  Although the more current HHI episodes are less faked, they're probably all faked at least somehow even though participants' RL stories usually sound more interesting than the HHI standard, repetitive plots. 

BTW, much of my info was rec'd via participant blogs.  Unfortunately, lately, far fewer HGTV participants are sharing details of their experiences.  Sounds like tptb tightened up their nondisclosure agreements after HH's filming secrets were widely exposed to the general public when one couple's backstory went viral.  (TX participants, IIRC.)   

Edited by BearCat49

Is this show completely faked and scripted? I am trying to figure out whether a lot of the home owners could really be as obnoxious and full of outrageous expectations as they come across on the average episode. IMO a good decluttering could solve many of their problems without even any renos.

I am totally blanking on the name of it but I think this could be a great crossover show with that one where they organize/declutter their house. The one that always had tarps on the lawn with separate tarps for keep, sell, toss, and donate or something like that, and a yard sale at the end. Start with that show, THEN move on to "Love it or List it" if still necessary.

I've just been binge-watching it in and out of NyQuil sleep, but it really is amazing how much difference a major decluttering effort would make on a lot of these homes.  I too am curious how many of the "List Its" actually move.

Oh and yes... the people who think they can get an entire home practically rebuilt, new appliances, etc. on such a small budget are hilarious. Even if they can do a ton of work themselves (which they rarely do on this show), it is still going to be expensive.

(edited for typos)

Edited by NikSac

I am totally blanking on the name of if but I think this could be a great crossover show with that one where they organize/declutter their house. The one that always had tarps on the lawn with separate tarps for keep, sell, toss, and donate or something like that, and a yard sale at the end. Start with that show, THEN move on to "Love it or List it" if still necessary.

Hoarders?  There was actually a hilarious Love It Or List It show a while back where the homeowners were unmistakably hoarders.  Hilary yelled at them and made them personally declutter their house before she started construction.  They ended up 'listing it' afterwards (I think it was an old, tiny, family home that had belonged to one of the homeowner's parents).

• Love 1

I am totally blanking on the name of if but I think this could be a great crossover show with that one where they organize/declutter their house. The one that always had tarps on the lawn with separate tarps for keep, sell, toss, and donate or something like that, and a yard sale at the end. Start with that show, THEN move on to "Love it or List it" if still necessary.

Clean Sweep? It was on TLC and apparently ended in 2005.

• Love 5

Clean Sweep? It was on TLC and apparently ended in 2005.

Yes it was Clean Sweep!  Thank you! 

I thought of Hoarders too but it was one step away from Clean Sweep.

I suddenly feel the need to put tarps on my lawn and start sorting. I guess that's a plus of Love it or List It... makes me realize that sorting and decluttering might be the answer.

• Love 3

I suddenly feel the need to put tarps on my lawn and start sorting. I guess that's a plus of Love it or List It... makes me realize that sorting and decluttering might be the answer.

Although Hilary seldom helps with decluttering, other than maybe getting Eddie/Desta to create some built-in storage in the family room or something.  I bet most of the homeowners' crap ends up getting shoveled into some storage unit or basement so they can ooh and aah over the uncluttered rooms in the reveal.

This gives me an idea for a new Love It or List It spin-off - called Love It Or List It - the DIY/Reality Check edition:

Average budget: $500-$1000

The Love It team:  sets out tarps on your lawn and yells at you to get rid of the crap cluttering your home.  Afterwards they drive you to a big-box retailer to pick out storage solutions for your home (think:  Rubbermaid plastic totes).   After you get rid of/store your crap, they have a professional cleaning crew come in and clean your home alongside of you.  Then they might fix your leaky faucet as a bonus.

The List It team:  A wise-talking real estate agent, tax professional, and a professional mover give you a realistic estimate of the value of your home, the cost of comparable homes in your area, and the costs associated with relocating (income tax returns, property taxes, moving expenses).  They help you do a cost-benefit analysis of moving, including whether it makes sense given your job location, real estate value, etc.

• Love 5

Watched a mini marathon last night and the episode that stuck out the most was a couple who had two kids and their 1200 square foot house was too small. They wanted a "dance space", an en suite that the "handy" husband had taped off in their bedroom which Hilary argued wouldn't work and instead gave them a walk in closet. The wiring in the basement was a fire hazard so of course they had to redo that and replace their furnace so no kitchen remodel for them. This was the couple who demanded they stay in their neighborhood but when the realtor took them to homes in their price range they snootily complained about how cheap the finishes were (in a new build) and how the house had no wow factor or something along those lines. And the house was STILL over their price range.

What I didn't understand is that they already had a finished basement (yes it had a lot of wasted space but it was still finished and not that bad looking) and Hilary ripped all that out and IMO the finished product wasn't that great (and normally I like her designs) It seemed smaller and more cluttered than the original finished basement. I did like the bathroom but that's it. Didn't see how them spending $75,000 to tear out an existing finished basement and bathroom to once again finish the basement and redo the bathroom was going to add $80.000 or whatever in value to a house that originally had a finished basement with a bathroom. ???  I believe that is all they did along with the walk in closet. Now, the house is safer now and a new furnace is nice but I don't think that necessarily adds value its just what people expect. Then they find this house that they fall in love with but its outside of their school district so they decide to move? Didn't really make sense but since the show is staged I guess it doesn't have to...

Anyone else notice that whenever they choose to list it, Hillary takes it decently well, while whenever they choose to love it, David looks like he's ready to s*** out?

Yes I've noticed this too. Although honestly David looks like he's ready to lose it on a moment's notice all the time to me. I think the only time he looks semi sane is when they say "list it." 

• Love 2

I am totally blanking on the name of it but I think this could be a great crossover show with that one where they organize/declutter their house. The one that always had tarps on the lawn with separate tarps for keep, sell, toss, and donate or something like that, and a yard sale at the end. Start with that show, THEN move on to "Love it or List it" if still necessary.

Niecy Nash had a show like that also, Clean House.

• Love 1

I'm well aware of the filming locations.  Was simply trying to determine which LIOLI "show in Canada" roof episode the previous posters were chatting about.  Never rec'd an answer, although am pretty sure I remember it.  Don't recall the gritty details so if anyone can respond ...  thanks.

Bearcat, I've watched hundreds of these shows, many with the same story line, and I don't always recall which went where.

I watch, and post here, for pleasure.  I don't take notes.

I am aware that there's a general real estate forum, but I don't seem to be the only person who wanders off a bit.

And like most of us, I realize there is fakery on these shows, but if you don't use their story line as a starting point for discussion, what do you say?

• Love 2

Fortunately, I don't care if the owner stories are faked. It's all about the real estate porn, not whether the owners love or list.

Sometimes I hope it's faked. Today I saw the Toronto episode where a male couple was trying to decide whether to leave their gorgeous century home that actually didn't need any renovations. Their reno list was nonsense BS items anyone could live without. One of the men looked a fair bit older than the other and that older man was grumpy with ridiculously high expectations. The couple treated Hillary and David poorly, as in Hillary and David would probably fire them as clients in real life. This left me hoping that this episode long old man tantrum was an act to whip up drama for the cameras.

• Love 3

It was an interesting episode. The husband's ideas on purchasing and moving were not what we usually see. He almost just wanted to flip the house and flip the next one. The wife just wanted to live in the house.

After watching all the Canada shows, the prices of the NC houses were shockingly low. Of course, I'm in AL and prices run even lower.

The new contractor was pretty good, but I missed Eddie.

• Love 3

Was that the guy we saw in NC?  I'd think he'd only work in the NYC area, and also need a NC license to work there.

As to the show, I hope they do stay, and I think the husband should have been on Income Property.
I get it that he wants to turn a profit, so buy a house, rent it out for a while, then sell it.
That way you earn money, but the family doesn't have to move all the time.

Thanks for moving this!

I see that I need to clarify which "guy" I'm speaking about. 
Someone posted on the new contractor in the "media" thread, and he's a Staten Island guy

Edited by auntjess

After watching all the Canada shows, the prices of the NC houses were shockingly low. Of course, I'm in AL and prices run even lower.

Yeah, there was a lot of exaggeration about the house prices in the NC show. It would be easy to find what they wanted at the 440k price point in Durham NC. 

Those low prices also make you wonder if the couple didn't price their current house out of the market with their improvements. I can't remember what the value was after improvements, but seems like it was at least $600k.

I did a little bit of sleuthing. I found Eric and Kelly's house in Durham. They said the house was 2300 sqft. It was 4038 sqft finished above grade and had a 720 sqft unfinished basement per our local MLS when it was sold in March 2012.The house has 12 rooms. 5 bedrooms and 3 & 1/2 baths. They didn't need a larger house and now I know never had any intention of moving. 

• Love 2

I did a little bit of sleuthing. I found Eric and Kelly's house in Durham. They said the house was 2300 sqft. It was 4038 sqft finished above grade and had a 720 sqft unfinished basement per our local MLS when it was sold in March 2012.The house has 12 rooms. 5 bedrooms and 3 & 1/2 baths. They didn't need a larger house and now I know never had any intention of moving. 

It's not the first time they've been busted omitting entire rooms and definitely won't be the last!  Doesn't surprise me one bit, in fact.  They probably fake at least something along those lines (e.g. the home's s.f. or existing rooms) in every episode, besides all the other fakery (e.g. the big decision, the storage routine, blah, blah, blah)  we already know about.  To tptb, if the camera didn't film it, it simply doesn't exist! 

Although I don't typically get too invested in the fake LIOLI decision, the s.f. fakery cracks me up b/c I was cruising by to post that I didn't believe those two had any intention whatsoever of moving, for multiple reasons.  The whole ridiculous "flip" storyline felt like a giant Zillow commercial, to me.  David sealed the deal when they'd done a night shoot of the always stupendous (lol) 3rd house and he said his standard yard line, "Won't you have a great time with your kids in this yard? !!"  Problem was, he was pointing out the pitch black back window, lol!

Everyone notice how awful the editing and overall production was on that episode?  It's probably the worst I've seen.  Besides the night shoot, after they had their meeting to set the purchase budget at $440K, the narrator commented, "David gets right to work with his $450,000 budget!"  In fact, if I'm remembering correctly, they may have even included a graphic, "$450,000 budget" or something. 

Sounds like they had a difficult time casting in the Durham area.  They were already filming but still advertising, locally, for participants on Sept. 17, IIRC.  HGTV and their production companies, consistently, require 6 months time to film, edit and get episodes in the can.  Sure, they may have filmed this particular episode prior to 9/17 but it still appears that the schedule was a tad tight.  (ETA:  One season in NC, right?  Anyone know?) 

Interesting the way they combined the design asst. and contractor roles, casting Eric.  Anyone see him on Bro v. Bro?  Haven't myself so can't comment on Eric's previously demonstrated skillset.  He definitely seemed to have comedic chops, however.  Almost expected him to say, "Be sure and tip your waitresses.  I'm here all week."

Fun the way he was playing off Hilary.  Said the laundry closet curtain matched his eyes.  Hilary's lines:  "Fine, we'll make you a dress.  Let's move on."  Desta and Eddie/Fergus might be a little concerned about now, lol.  Someone commented above that he may not be licensed in NC.  JMHO but I'm sure the only license he needed was his SAG card.  I doubt he's the contractor of record.  They appeared to be utilizing local trades b/c their usual team hadn't gone on the road.

Like many of us, I've been a little concerned b/c Eddie and often Fergus, too, haven't been around in recent episodes, mostly during the previous season, IIRC.  Perhaps the road shoot / season explains it - the guys may have accepted other gigs but the timing didn't coincide exactly with LIOLI's production schedule.  Just a guess - has anyone heard anything definitive about their previous, recent absences?

Please, pretty please, producers, tell me that the Zillow routine was a one-off!

Edited by aguabella

Anybody know where in the Greater Vancouver area the third home from last night's new episode was located - the place with the circular wrap-around deck, bedrock and interior hot tub?

Given their ages, had a feeling those two would be listers but they didn't seem to go with that property.  Not that they couldn't (magically) change their minds about the "list-it" decision or buy another place, working with their RL realtor.

Edited by aguabella

Apparently the Zillow thing is whole season. How annoying! 

I guarantee that the Eddie/Fergus thing is because they're not licensed in the US. This new guy, though yes, he's witty, is an actual contractor as well, and licensed in NC.

I just saw last night's new episode.  First of all I like Eric.  I rooted for him in Brother vs. Brothers and he was robbed of the win.  I see the reason they have somebody like him because there's no Design Assistant.  Fergus and Eddie are too stiff to play off Hilary that way Eric did.

That being said it's the first time they really got all of the important stuff done.  Once we saw that music room I knew they were going to love it.  I liked their house too.  They didn't seem to be too objectionable as HHs.

In the afternoon I saw an episode with 2 sisters that lived together and boy oh boy what a bunch of bitches.  Bitchy to David and Hilary..ugh.

Apparently the Zillow thing is whole season. How annoying! 

I guarantee that the Eddie/Fergus thing is because they're not licensed in the US. This new guy, though yes, he's witty, is an actual contractor as well, and licensed in NC.

My understanding was that Eric is from Staten Island, NY.  Contractors are licensed on a state-by-state basis.  Application and testing requirements as well as codes may vary significantly.  Are you certain he's licensed in NC?

I've noticed during the episodes that they're hiring local trades and featuring camera shots of their business names and contact info.  They probably received discounted rates in exchange for the advertising.

I seriously doubt that Eric would be taking any responsibility for the jobs as a g/c.  He's playing both the Design Asst role and g/c role on the episodes.  Filming an hour long episode takes about 80 hours and they work on 4-6 episodes simultaneously.  Even if he holds a NC license and is familiar with NC codes, he simply wouldn't have the time to do the actual work.   

Shooting a reality television episode is an altogether different job than completing a major renovation.  WRT Eddie and Fergus, I'd be surprised if they have individual responsibility (and liability, most of all)  as g/c for the Toronto jobs, either.  They do, however, have far fewer lines and don't get as involved in filming so it's possible.  IRL, they probably work for the background (that is, off-camera) general contractor.

JMHO

ETA:  Definitely agree with you, txvoodoo about the Zillow addition.  What a pita!  And, it appears they have to film each couple checking out a few listings online and passing them along to David during the episode.  Funny given that all of us have been doing that for years, right?

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

At the beginning I wasn't crazy about this show having been a fan of Hilary and David's and thinking they were taking their place.  I'm glad I was wrong.  In a sense I love this show even more than the original in that that scenery is fabulous!  Every single episode I am yelling at the Homeowners to "love it".  It also seems like the HO's are not as bitchy as original recipe.  Thank God.

At the beginning I wasn't crazy about this show having been a fan of Hilary and David's and thinking they were taking their place.  I'm glad I was wrong.  In a sense I love this show even more than the original in that that scenery is fabulous!  Every single episode I am yelling at the Homeowners to "love it".  It also seems like the HO's are not as bitchy as original recipe.  Thank God.

Interesting, NYGirl.  Todd and Jillian definitely attempt to play the same characters as David and Hilary.  And, they use the same basic storylines - that's for sure!  I'm just checking out the RE so haven't noticed that the production teams differ WRT creating conflict with the homeowners.  I also love, love, love the Vancouver area so am always focused on their locations.  In any event, that's a good thing if the Too group didn't get that memo, IMHO.

Edited by aguabella

I just saw last night's new episode.  First of all I like Eric.  I rooted for him in Brother vs. Brothers and he was robbed of the win.  I see the reason they have somebody like him because there's no Design Assistant.  Fergus and Eddie are too stiff to play off Hilary that way Eric did.

That being said it's the first time they really got all of the important stuff done.  Once we saw that music room I knew they were going to love it.  I liked their house too.  They didn't seem to be too objectionable as HHs.

In the afternoon I saw an episode with 2 sisters that lived together and boy oh boy what a bunch of bitches.  Bitchy to David and Hilary..ugh.

JMHO, NYGirl but I suspect the production company didn't care to incur the cost of bringing so many team members along on the road.  Between travel, temporary housing, food and so on, those costs skyrocket rapidly.  And, it may have been cheaper to simply hire Eric to cover both roles b/c he's trying to break in.

Also, it's much cheaper for them to use the local trades in exchange for advertising.  In Toronto, they use their own crew.  That's extremely unusual in the home reno reality TV world.  Any union rules or other regulations dictate that in exchange for the Canadian film production tax break?  Anyone know?

It has to be Lions Bay, the half-hour drive time is right for it. For people who eat take-out every day, that's definitely not the place to move.

Thanks for the info, Sarahendipity.  Will check it out.  So they have bedrock there?

Don't know about the 30 minutes.  HGTV (and their production companies) have been known to fudge those.

For some reason, I didn't feel those two worked in that place.  They just didn't look right there, to me.  If they actually listed, they can always buy something closer in.

Edited by aguabella

The tipping point for me is bathrooms -- one for a family of 4+ and I'm all, "LIST IT!"

I grew up in a house with one bathroom for 5 people.  (And each child didn't have their own bedroom - the horror!)  If that's what you can afford, you get used to it and you work out a schedule.  That said, when I bought my house, a second bathroom/half-bath was an absolute must on my list, and I live alone.

Personally I just find this show so fake.  It's fairly obvious that most of the homeowners aren't going to really list their house right away because there's no way they'd get a good return that quickly on the money they've spent on the renovations.  Knowing that generally makes me change the channel, although I will sometimes watch to see Hilary's finished product.  I don't always like the open plan idea, but the finishes are usually quite attractive.

• Love 2

I didn't understand the reno on the third floor of the house tonight.  It was a bedroom and also a teen hang out space, but it was all open concept?  And the bedroom side just looked like a lounge, not really a bedroom.  So the kid lost out on a real bedroom for this lounge?  And yeah, the two teens could decide when they wanted to hang out up there with their friends?  Not like that wouldn't cause any arguments, especially if the one who had the bedroom/lounge wanted to sleep or be alone in their room.   It looked nice, but seemed a little sparse.  I also noticed that the baby's room was the same color as the girls' room.  Saving by buying the paint in bulk?

I was also thinking of when Hilary redid the kitchen, why doesn't she repurpose the cabinets more often as it would allow for more updates in other rooms?  Or even try to salvage the cabinets so they can resell them - again adding more money back into the budget.  Even if the new cabinets are at a huge discount, I just find it a little wasteful to trash some usable items.  Someone else could repurpose it and make it work for them.

Any time the homeowners have kids getting close to college age, I think if Hilary does a halfway decent job, they seem to love it.  Seems reasonable as they are going to have either expenses coming up or the kids will be leaving the nest soon enough.

• Love 2

Last night shocked me in that Hillary was able to do almost everything the homeowners needed.  I've never seen that.  Of course they were going to love it.

However I did get to thinking that they still have only 2 bathrooms.  That's not enough for 9 people, plus it looked like they had mostly girls.  I agree with hoosier80's assessment of the attic.  We have no idea if the house even had a basement since they don't always show you all of the rooms in the house.

I just saw like the last 10 minutes or so of the episode where they listed it, supposedly choosing the house with the bedrock, wrap around porch with incredible views, and the interior hot tub.  I believe they had attempted their own renovations to their current house, looked like a bungalow?  There was some sentimental attachment to that house.  I think one of the couple kept talking about their neighborhood or the character of the home.  They were all bent out of shape because the deck they had attempted to put up, plus a family room/bonus room, something wasn't up to code at all, so of course it took money to undo the DIY stuff.  It was a smaller deck, which I guess was all that was permitted for that lot and locale.  The husband started to bitch about it, and I think Jillian shut him down.  What did he want, for them to install something not up to code only to have to tear it down again?  Only thing I could think of is that he wanted something spectacular so he could sell the house.  Maybe he didn't want to be reminded of his fail on the DIY.  I didn't see that they ate out a lot, so yeah not getting what seemed to be a remote home fitting their lifestyle.  

I just saw like the last 10 minutes or so of the episode where they listed it, supposedly choosing the house with the bedrock, wrap around porch with incredible views, and the interior hot tub.  I believe they had attempted their own renovations to their current house, looked like a bungalow?  There was some sentimental attachment to that house.  I think one of the couple kept talking about their neighborhood or the character of the home.  They were all bent out of shape because the deck they had attempted to put up, plus a family room/bonus room, something wasn't up to code at all, so of course it took money to undo the DIY stuff.  It was a smaller deck, which I guess was all that was permitted for that lot and locale.  The husband started to bitch about it, and I think Jillian shut him down.  What did he want, for them to install something not up to code only to have to tear it down again?  Only thing I could think of is that he wanted something spectacular so he could sell the house.  Maybe he didn't want to be reminded of his fail on the DIY.  I didn't see that they ate out a lot, so yeah not getting what seemed to be a remote home fitting their lifestyle.  

Personally, I believe tptb just wanted to showcase that unusual home, i.e. the bedrock home complete with indoor hot tub.  If the couple did actually list, they'll buy a cool place in the city, working with their real life realtor.

They seem to enjoy showcasing unusual homes with great views on the Vancouver LIOLI, especially the places that highlight the area's natural beauty.  (It's one of my fave places.) 

Have also enjoyed the rare times the original recipe version, Toronto LIOLI, has featured a lake or beach home, if they include shots of the local scenery.  Wish they'd do it more often.

Edited by aguabella