Type keyword(s) to search

Love It Or List It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I also really wish that both shows would say, exactly, how far away the drive time is from the homeowners' "preferred area", so we could get a clue as to how reasonable/unreasonable it is to expect them to drive that distance.  Of course it's all subjective, but for me for example, 40 minutes outside my "preferred area" wouldn't be too far.

That's a good question. I'm guessing 40 minutes isn't that far because of the size of the city, but when you come from a less populated area, it doesn't give you a sense of how far it is. Forty minutes for me is at least two towns away (with just highway in between, not built-up suburbs). It would be easier if they would give it in miles (and kilometers, I suppose).

Isn't that fairly representative of real life, DownTheShore?  The assistant, i.e. grunt, does the work but the boss takes credit?

A couple add'l comments on valuation.  Hadn't watched LIOLI in awhile (no new episodes) but they restarted LIOLI Too.  Noticed that the script doesn't include the term "appraisal" so that pretty much confirms for me that it's funny money! 

Also, in the very first episode of their new season, Too estimated a 50% return!  Ok, make a liar out of me - commented above that their estimates lately have been reasonable.  I gave them a pass on it, however, b/c it appeared to be a classic Victorian home.  I believe homeowners receive a higher return on those properties when they upgrade old systems, etc.  JMHO

Ha, it's the Canadian way to describe distance between two points as a time measurement. In Toronto, you could live 5 km from your workplace but it could take you 45 minutes to get there because of traffic (Toronto has hellish traffic issues). Whereas, if you live in a small town, a job 5 km away would take 5 minutes. It's just easier to describe distance in time, since the buyers want to know how long they'll be commuting every day.

I have to wonder WTF kind of jobs those people have to afford the prices there

I have always wondered that about people buying in LA, NY, Toronto and Vancouver (and internationally). Must be nice to have incomes like that!

• Love 2
Desta seems to do all of the work and Hilary just swans in and out.

It's a TV show, Hilary is the on-air talent. She designs the redo. Just because someone designs a space, doesn't mean they do the actual work. I design how I want a room in my house re-done, but I hire people to paint, build, put in flooring, etc. It's still my design.

• Love 2

It's a TV show, Hilary is the on-air talent. She designs the redo. Just because someone designs a space, doesn't mean they do the actual work. I design how I want a room in my house re-done, but I hire people to paint, build, put in flooring, etc. It's still my design.

Ah, but as reality television, i.e. faux-ality television, do we even know that Hilary designs the space?  We don't.  As you correctly noted, she's the on-air talent.  She's paid to act.  I've never heard that she doesn't and she is a designer so I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.  We do know that David is definitely not acting as a realtor for LIOLI participants, even though he has a license IRL.

The example that always pops into my head is the oh-so-wonderful (blech) Property Brothers.  We know that Jonathan isn't a designer and they have a background, off-camera design firm in Toronto doing the work.  Plus, they use local designers to load in and stage the spaces.  Am constantly amazed by how many people believe Jonathan designs and Drew's their realtor!  And, Jonathan isn't their g/c, either!  But, I digress -

• Love 1

No difference in the jobs, IMHO - the difference is in pay scales.  And, although you may earn more to cover the increased cost of living in metropolitan areas, unfortunately, certain expenses, e.g. income taxes, aren't adjusted, accordingly! And, the higher pay doesn't seem to cover everything!

Then, you consider 60+ minutes commutes both ways and everything else ...  So, bottom line, these people may have a lesser standard of living compared to their counterparts in other areas.

Edited by BearCat49

His bro's RE office is "Country Properties" or something like that so it makes sense. We know he definitely doesn't sell on behalf of the LIOLI production company, i.e. LIOLI participants.

Edited by BearCat49

Ha, it's the Canadian way to describe distance between two points as a time measurement. In Toronto, you could live 5 km from your workplace but it could take you 45 minutes to get there because of traffic (Toronto has hellish traffic issues). Whereas, if you live in a small town, a job 5 km away would take 5 minutes. It's just easier to describe distance in time, since the buyers want to know how long they'll be commuting every day.

Oh, we do that here, too. It's just that here, I have some idea of what that means. If I were doing a TV show set here, I'd like to think that I'd clarify in miles for viewers not from around here who don't know what 45 minutes means.

Well, 45 minutes is 45 minutes, regardless.

Oh, I completely agree, BearCat. My commute is barely 15 minutes through quiet country (but paved) roads. I don't make much, but you can buy a 4 bed 3 bath 3000 sq ft house on a big lot for $300,000. It's not a big city, but is can get everything I need. Living in a huge city has some advantages, but not enough (to me) to spend $800,000 on a tiny house and spen two hours commuting every day.

Edited by Shermie
  • Love 1

This is my "There's nothing else on" show. It's also the one where I have least patience for the fake drama. Knowing the fakery makes it doubly eye-rolling when they have tantrums because Hillary can't get them the 4th bedroom they so badly need, OR enlarge the nanny suite, OR redo their upstairs bath. Instead she does a complete redo of the main floor. In what universe are we supposed to consider that credible?  If you told a decorator you wanted A,B, C and D, and after gutting the house to do D, they then informed you they couldn't do A, B or C - you'd fire them, right?

I firmly believe 99% of these homeowners know before the show that they are either renovating, or moving. Nothng else makes sense.

peggy06:

I firmly believe 99% of these homeowners know before the show that they are either renovating, or moving. Nothng else makes sense.

Exactly, and the scope of the renovation is already determined before construction starts (the extra items that will have to be removed from the list due to budgetary constraints are just for TV drama - they were never on the real list in the first place). 

The LIOLI website used to have follow-up videos from homeowners, but they've since been taken down.  Anyway, I remember a few couples who said on the show that they would "list it" but are actually are still in their renovated houses, but that could be due to any number of realistic reasons (i.e. they're planning to put their house on the market soon, but need to wait to find a new job/for their kids to finish at a certain school, they had a house to buy in mind (not one that David showed them!) but the buying process fell through at some stage, or they couldn't find what they wanted when they were house-hunting, etc.).   Clearly, the show pre-selects two groups of people from the start:  those who want renovations to upgrade the quality/functions of homes they want to stay in for the foreseeable future, and those who need to bring their homes up to code/make them more marketable before listing them for sale.  I'm quite sure that Hilary, David, and the crew already know what outcome the couple will choose, but they just play up the drama/competition for TV's sake.

• Love 1

Everyone's noticed that they (magically) only demo the spaces that are ultimately completed, right?

The homes toured on the show are decoy homes, i.e. the homes that tptb received permission to film in.  David isn't their realtor IRL.  I seriously doubt anyone's actually purchased the third home.

Agree, Fabricationary.  They all know in advance what the actual reno list includes.  I believe it's fairly obvious when they're doing "list it" punchlists. 

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

I am going back to my original belief that nobody actually lists it. I can see trying to do some cosmetic upgrades to sell a house, but reworking the whole first floor *while leaving the second floor untouched?* No, that just doesn't make sense. I cannot believe the ROI is guaranteed to be anywhere near the numbers they fling about on this show. Nope, it's a renovation show, period. I think I would enjoy it so much more if they cut out the fake bits. It could fit in half an hour, too. As for David's part, they can make that House Hunters Canada or Selling Toronto.

• Love 1

I agree with you that it's basically a renovation show, peggy06 and yes, the ROI's funny money.  I also believe, however, that if these people hadn't listed, we'd hear about it.  I'm sure a few supposedly changed their minds after the show, haha, but others probably applied w/LIOLI up after purchasing another home or deciding to move.

Do you remember the home across from Lake Ontario (IIRC) owned by a realtor and attorney?  The yf (attorney) was extremely rude to Hilary.  What was funny about that episode is their listing's virtual tour (available on youtube) confirmed that LIOLI basically faked the entire episode. 

If you've toured many listed homes, IMHO you'd believe that someone might very well reno only 1 room or part of a house before selling.  For one thing, who can afford to remake an entire home at once?  And, who would do that, if/when they planned to list?  (The LIOLI participants, IMHO, do more b/c they're receiving discounts and promotional allowances.)  Sellers believe buyers are more focused on kitchens and bathrooms so those are the most likely candidates. 

If/when sellers can't afford to or don't care to do over an old kitchen, it's very common that they'll either replace the appliances or even only one appliance.  It's as if they're saying, "Buyers, pretty please, focus on the one, shiny new object and ignore everything else!"  In addition, b/c the upper floors typically contain bedrooms, those usually only need a little paint and sprucing up, work most homeowners can do themselves prior to listing, if they consider it necessary.

Edited by BearCat49

No difference in the jobs, IMHO - the difference is in pay scales.  And, although you may earn more to cover the increased cost of living in metropolitan areas, unfortunately, certain expenses, e.g. income taxes, aren't adjusted, accordingly! And, the higher pay doesn't seem to cover everything!

Then, you consider 60+ minutes commutes both ways and everything else ...  So, bottom line, these people may have a lesser standard of living compared to their counterparts in other areas.

The mortgages must be structured differently, or people like teachers make vastly more money than they do in the US. I've seen couples with a teacher and a social worker buy a $900k house in the Toronto area on HH, LIOLI, Property Brothers, etc. I don't care how much you scale back your standard of living, a teacher here could not afford a mortgage payment for that kind of property!

• Love 1

I'm watching the Karen and Sat episode. They running out of homeowners? I felt like Sat was reaching. The problems were easy to solve. Move laundry upstairs, turn laundry into mud room, put a wall up and get over open concept. I also don't think they need to do those updates to be able to sell except for updating the bathroom. Just move. Downsizing is fine don't come up with stupid reasons to be on TV that are easily addressed.

People always entertaining. Really? I'm always suspicious of this since it's like every episode this is an issue.

I'm watching the Karen and Sat episode. They running out of homeowners? I felt like Sat was reaching. The problems were easy to solve. Move laundry upstairs, turn laundry into mud room, put a wall up and get over open concept. I also don't think they need to do those updates to be able to sell except for updating the bathroom. Just move. Downsizing is fine don't come up with stupid reasons to be on TV that are easily addressed.

People always entertaining. Really? I'm always suspicious of this since it's like every episode this is an issue.

I'm watching too. I know most of the unexpected repairs are not really unexpected, but that pool leak looked like it happened during filming.

The house looked much better/modernized, but the new master closet still didn't even have enough hanging rods to replace that huge freestanding unit, much less that and the existing closet. Was there any mention of turning the "dance studio" into a den for the teens? That only needed some different furniture and maybe a cable hookup.

The mortgages must be structured differently, or people like teachers make vastly more money than they do in the US. I've seen couples with a teacher and a social worker buy a $900k house in the Toronto area on HH, LIOLI, Property Brothers, etc. I don't care how much you scale back your standard of living, a teacher here could not afford a mortgage payment for that kind of property!

How do we know the teacher and social worker don't have a trust fund?  IMHO, we can't learn anything about the Canadian RE markets from these faux-ality programs.

My understanding is that their mortgages are structured differently and much more favorably - for the banks, that is!  Apparently they're typically amortized over only 25 years and adjust each 5, i.e. no 30-year fixed rate mortgages.  Also, the govt guarantees 100% so the banks have incentive to lend away -

Another distortion:  we typically only see examples from the 2 largest cities - Toronto and Vancouver.  Read earlier this yr that their avg home sells for $389K.  Yes, it's far greater than here in the U.S. (prob 2X) but much less than their 2 major cities.

Edited by BearCat49

I'm watching the Karen and Sat episode. They running out of homeowners?

Karen and Sat?  I don't usually pay attn. to the names.  Pool leak, laundry and closets doesn't ring a bell.  Guess they showed a rerun marathon.  Have seen every Too episode but perhaps they're all running together!

The house looked much better/modernized, but the new master closet still didn't even have enough hanging rods to replace that huge freestanding unit, much less that and the existing closet. Was there any mention of turning the "dance studio" into a den for the teens? That only needed some different furniture and maybe a cable hookup.

???  They built a walk-in closet on this week's new episode (the race car driver + yf and young son - home w city view) but no teenagers.  Hilary did a dance studio once on the mothership so ...  ??

Edited by BearCat49

This show has to be totally scripted. There's no other way we could get EXACTLY the same thing every episode. It's so formulaic I can almost tell what everyone's going to say before they say it.

The homeowners are willing to spend much more money to move than to stay, even though it doesn't make sense; they never give Hillary enough money to get everything they want, even though they're willing to spend the money to buy a different house. In reality, there is always the option of spending enough money and getting everything you want in the old house.  But not in this show. Staying always gets them half or less of what they ask for.

Then the contractor finds some big unexpected problem. Even though it happens every episode (and in most major remodeling projects on old houses), everyone is always taken by surprise. The homeowners always blame Hilary, and they always think they should get the new furnace/roof/foundation/sewer/support beam without having to pay for it. She asks for more money, and they almost never give it to her, so she eliminates some things. They get super angry. They act like spoiled twits. We hate them. (We must enjoy hating them, or they wouldn't include it every time).

Hilary does an amazing amount of work for what they've paid - at least three times as much work as I could get done in my city - so the remodeling always adds a lot more value than it cost (I hope viewers realize that this isn't the way it works in real life). In fact, they get such a good deal on the work that this must be why Hilary never gets enough money; if she did, they would never want to move.

When deciding whether to sell, no consideration is given to realtor fees, financial fees, taxes or moving expenses.

I like to see the houses. I especially like seeing what Hillary comes up with. But I can barely watch it any more. How many times can you listen to the same exact script?

• Love 1

I approach it as if it's real. I like most of Hilary's designs. And I would love for her to have enough money, just once.

I know it's not real, and I don't really enjoy seeing the homeowners complain all the time, but that's tolerable simply because I know it's not real. Husband and I always laugh at them and their unreasonable expectations. We always joke they should have gone on Property Brothers, because the brothers always finish under budget.

• Love 1

That's why many of us only watch the opening scenes, e.g. the design plan and the reveal.

I watch the meet with the amount, then ff to Eddie and/or Fergus, then the reveal.

What I can't figure is why 95% of the homes are alike, and probably near each other. 

I sometimes wonder if David or Hillary wear one of those parole bracelets, and can only go to a 10-block area.

Or maybe there are a lot of stock scenes.

• Love 1

I watch the meet with the amount, then ff to Eddie and/or Fergus, then the reveal.

What I can't figure is why 95% of the homes are alike, and probably near each other. 

I sometimes wonder if David or Hillary wear one of those parole bracelets, and can only go to a 10-block area.

Or maybe there are a lot of stock scenes.

I feel like on at least one occasion, David has shown the same home to at least two different couples (or a home that looks just like it - one of those renovated, long-and-narrow homes with dark hardwood floors, clean earth-tone or gray/blue walls, upgraded kitchen. etc., that seem to be very much the blank slate aesthetic of Toronto renovations).   Or maybe all the episodes are starting to meld together.

I watch for the Hilary and David banter, renovation snark, home tour snark, and final reveal.  I know it's not real, but it is (in most cases) entertaining. 

• Love 2

Did they run out of houses in Toronto?

For all I can tell, they did the first season.

After all, how many have you seen that look different?  I figure it's one house, and they restage it for each episode.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 1

For all I can tell, they did the first season.

After all, how many have you seen that look different?  I figure it's one house, and they restage it for each episode.

Probably so, auntjess, lol.

Thanks for the info, LizDC.

Interesting. So it sounds like they'll be in Raleigh-Durham the whole season. Or is that just for the first show or a few shows?

I would guess all or most of a season.  The production companies like to achieve economies of scale.  They typically film 4-6 episodes simultaneously in the same city and they're usually located in the same general area or fairly close to each other within the city, too.

They seem to air them consecutively, also, so it's fairly easy to spot the pattern.  Have noticed it on both LIOLI and Too.

LIOLI's production company also did "The Unsellables" with Sofie Allsop a few years back.  They did at least 1 season out of Toronto that was sort of an east coast mish-mash - maybe 4-6 Raleigh plus a smattering of upstate NY thrown in for good measure.  IIRC Unsellables was on its way out at that time and cancelled after that season.

So, is this a LIOLI signal?  Has the series run its course?

P.S.

Love the way they keep up the charade in their casting call, BTW.  For anyone who's interested, don't worry - if you need a reno and can make good TV and amp up the drama, they'll consider you even if the thought never crossed your mind about "loving it" vs. "listing it"  !!!

Edited by BearCat49

They did an atypical house on the newest show, a bungalow.
I was so glad they  decided to list it.
And if the guy hadn't insisted the money go to build on a new bedroom, their house probably wouldn't have increased as much.

I did wonder that as an inspector, he didn't know about the new set-back rule.

Inspectors aren't responsible for code violations.  If true that he didn't know about a new setback rule, that wouldn't surprise me.

Don't know enough about their neighborhood to comment on their choice of renos.  Yes, extra s.f. adds value but typically at a declining rate.  A new kitchen may sell a home faster but yield less "return".  Neither choice typically yields more than their cost.  So, if a seller has time and doesn't mind an extended marketing period, the best answer is usually to avoid extensive renos completed in anticipation of a sale.  JMHO.

Their reno choice is probably another reminder, however, that they started LIOLI knowing full well that their "decision" (lol) was "List it".  Ironically, when they discussed the aunt in the intro, I immediately wondered why they didn't live together.  Funny!  Was surprised when that was their supposed solution.

Edited by BearCat49

I approach it as if it's real. I like most of Hilary's designs. And I would love for her to have enough money, just once.

I know it's not real, and I don't really enjoy seeing the homeowners complain all the time, but that's tolerable simply because I know it's not real. Husband and I always laugh at them and their unreasonable expectations. We always joke they should have gone on Property Brothers, because the brothers always finish under budget.

??? You approach it as if it's real but know it's not, so ???  Do you mean that you play along with the drama, for fun?

Comparing LIOLI to the PB's is like comparing apples to uh, uh, apples, IMHO.  No difference - again, IMHO.

How do we know that the LIOLI projects are overbudget IRL - in real life?  We don't - that's the script.

How do we know that the PB projects are on budget IRL?  We don't - that's the script.

There's nothing faker than the PB, IMHO.  As career actors - well, bad actors lol - they definitely win the prize in that department.

Hilary has plenty of money.  She completes every item on the list.  Unfortunately, we, the viewers, are not privy to the real list, i.e. the list that the homeowners and production company agreed upon in advance of filming.

I know LIOLI is fake but accept that it's a drama and simply enjoy it as entertainment.

Edited by BearCat49

Karen and Sat?  I don't usually pay attn. to the names.  Pool leak, laundry and closets doesn't ring a bell.  Guess they showed a rerun marathon.  Have seen every Too episode but perhaps they're all running together!

???  They built a walk-in closet on this week's new episode (the race car driver + yf and young son - home w city view) but no teenagers.  Hilary did a dance studio once on the mothership so ...  ??

Figured out after my confusion about the episodes that they've been airing 2 new episodes each week on LIOLI-Too instead of 1.  Both the TV Guide schedule and Comcast showed only the 9:00 episode as "new".  Since 8:00 was listed as a rerun, the dvr wasn't picking it up.

So, if anybody's interested in the other episodes, we'll have to pick up a marathon.  OnDemand isn't showing them.

Was that the episode where they "randomly" decided they'd prefer to live in the country?  As soon as the wife said she wanted to see a home with more acreage, I knew they'd list it.   That being said, it was refreshing to see a totally different type of property (country home) vs. the usual urban homes. 

I saw the rerun of the feng shui-obsessed couple who gave both Hilary and David a hard time.  I felt like the staged conversations were especially staged (the one where Hilary calls Eddie and Fergus over to tell her about her grand plans for the new sink, and they say the plumber just came by and installed the plumbing elsewhere; the kerfluffle over the homeowners over a flooring choice for the front entry).  It felt like everyone was acting in a parody of LIOLI. 

I had to stop watching this show too!! So annoying when the home owner's blame Hillary for structural issues! HGTV wants the viewer to believe the homeowner's didn't know they had foundation issues, or plumbing issues, and so forth!!!! The worse episode was when Hilary's assistant was getting her home done by the crew and had a complete temper tantrum because they couldn't do her kitchen. Hilary had to make everyone stop working and leave the job. 

Watched this show for the first time last night. They had the smallest, most cluttered, badly-furnished and decorated house I've ever seen. It looked like a college rental, complete with mattresses on the floor. But then they have a $95,000 renovation budget! Did they hoard their money over the years instead of doing things like purchasing actual beds? Or were they just too lazy to change anything? 

And then there's the problem of the house being so poorly insulated, the walls are freezing cold to the touch. Maybe should have thrown some money at that a couple years ago?

Did they love it or list it? Maybe they were saving to buy a house and didn't want to throw any money into the house they were in, figuring it wasn't worth it. Or maybe that $95,000 isn't really theirs, but is the show's.

They listed, even after being adamant about keeping the dining room-turned-master bedroom on the first floor with a small living room and big kitchen (and the dining room in the basement).

Watched this show for the first time last night. They had the smallest, most cluttered, badly-furnished and decorated house I've ever seen.

And you left out "most devoid of curb appeal."  I've seen houses on Desparate Landscapes that look more inviting.

The house is what I've heard called a crackerbox, and it's over a half million dollars.

Listing was the only sane thing to do.

And is Desta moonlighting for Mary Kay?

• Love 1

And you left out "most devoid of curb appeal."  I've seen houses on Desparate Landscapes that look more inviting.

The house is what I've heard called a crackerbox, and it's over a half million dollars.

Listing was the only sane thing to do.

And is Desta moonlighting for Mary Kay?

These people are sane, now?  lololololol ...

Yes, I noticed the curb appeal, too and Desta needs to lay off the products.  Did she just figure out she's on the TEE-VEE, hahaha?

They listed, even after being adamant about keeping the dining room-turned-master bedroom on the first floor with a small living room and big kitchen (and the dining room in the basement).

I believe they wanted to list as a 3rd bedroom and they knew that the (actual, preapproved) list didn't include that bedroom in the basement.  On the plus side, they scored a far superior kitchen, including eat-in space.

Did they love it or list it? Maybe they were saving to buy a house and didn't want to throw any money into the house they were in, figuring it wasn't worth it. Or maybe that $95,000 isn't really theirs, but is the show's.

They had to spend the money and they knew it - those were code violations and would have been called by their local inspectors when they requested sign-off on their kitchen.

Watched this show for the first time last night. They had the smallest, most cluttered, badly-furnished and decorated house I've ever seen. It looked like a college rental, complete with mattresses on the floor. But then they have a $95,000 renovation budget! Did they hoard their money over the years instead of doing things like purchasing actual beds? Or were they just too lazy to change anything? 

And then there's the problem of the house being so poorly insulated, the walls are freezing cold to the touch. Maybe should have thrown some money at that a couple years ago?

Welcome aboard, maya!  For future reference, if you continue watching this lovable trainwreck (lol), the large budget combined with multiple code violations, most likely from an inspection report, confirmed my hunch that it was a "list-it" episode.

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 2

I believe they wanted to list as a 3rd bedroom and they knew that the (actual, preapproved) list didn't include that bedroom in the basement.  On the plus side, they scored a far superior kitchen, including eat-in space.

So I'm wondering: if it is all staged from the start (which I am on-board with believing), they did demo the basement before they realized nothing could be done down there.

I hope they had enough money left to at least paint the second floor. Glossy bright blue wall paint -- puke!

• Love 1

So I'm wondering: if it is all staged from the start (which I am on-board with believing), they did demo the basement before they realized nothing could be done down there.

I hope they had enough money left to at least paint the second floor. Glossy bright blue wall paint -- puke!

I remember seeing the 1st floor demo and thinking, yep, that's all that they can do after the electrical and heating.  Am pretty sure the only work in the basement consisted of that inspection work, not the renovation items.  We didn't see the blue bedroom on the reveal so that means they didn't do it.  The homeowners can take care of it themselves if/when they actually list.

Incidentally, you posted earlier about the mess and poor decorating.  We believe the producers stage the homes that way because they all look like that, initially.

Edited by aguabella

I had to stop watching this show too!! So annoying when the home owner's blame Hillary for structural issues! HGTV wants the viewer to believe the homeowner's didn't know they had foundation issues, or plumbing issues, and so forth!!!! The worse episode was when Hilary's assistant was getting her home done by the crew and had a complete temper tantrum because they couldn't do her kitchen. Hilary had to make everyone stop working and leave the job. 

They know what's on the real list.  Blaming Hilary is part of the script.

Same thing for Desta.  It was just one of the worst acting jobs.  Good thing the entire crew sat outside, if I remember it correctly, so they could continue working right away!

• Love 2