Type keyword(s) to search

Love It Or List It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just saw the second half of a rerun with a couple (Dong and whatshername) whose house budget was $1.6M and a $250K remodel budget. As soon as I heard the budget (in line with them wanting to move basement plumbing and install one of those glass door treatments that would add $36K), it was a sure love it bet.

Have to say the home that David showed them (with parks in front and back) would have won on any other day, but Hilary sure made a purty house (I like neutral colors;-) I don't recall a higher remodel budget. Even David knew his goose was cooked.

Edited by buttersister
Grammar matters

With not much on Saturdays, I've been watching season 1 On Demand. Funny how low the reno budgets were and what could be done. The couples weren't assigned a side then. So they both get upset at David and Hillary. Is it me or were the people bitchier then? They throw hissy fits over the silliest things.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
10 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

With not much on Saturdays, I've been watching season 1 On Demand. Funny how low the reno budgets were and what could be done. The couples weren't assigned a side then. So they both get upset at David and Hillary. Is it me or were the people bitchier then? They throw hissy fits over the silliest things.

I don't know for sure. What I did notice was the change in temperament in the homeowners once they moved the show to North Carolina. They were very mannerly & appreciative. I guess that wasn't catchy enough for the producers because after a year or two, the homeowners who didn't want to move were cynical, and kinda snotty to David.

• Like 1

I sort of feel bad for the homeowners. They have to take sides and one is the unreasonable grinch who wants a new place and not increase the reno budget, and the other hates everything that David shows them. 
I also feel sorry for all of us since watching this show forces us to watch the same HGTV commercials. If I have to hear the vapid El Moussas one more time, I will lose my freaking mind. 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 2
  • LOL 9

On the commercial for the upcoming season that starts this month, it says Hillary 152, to David's 101.   

With last night's "Love it", it's now Hillary 152 to David's 101.

The "Laundry Closet" was a big fail for me.   Was the washer sitting in a pan with a drain? Also, they're front loader machines, and the one I had required regular cleaning, plus it needed to have the door open to dry out.  The closet was packed full with the washer/dryer, so where do you hang or fold clothes?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3

I swear, for some of these homeowners, half the battle would be won if they'd clean up the clutter and organize their stuff!  Small rooms are magically bigger once you either throw out the crap; put stuff away; or clean up and install some shelves or something to keep the smaller items on.  

21 hours ago, buttersister said:

Although, "laundry room?"

Seriously!  I guess having a laundry closet where you want one is better than nothing at all but putting stackable units in a small closet leaves you with no room for your supplies or a place to hang clothes up.  I have a small laundry space, so I know what a challenge it is when you have limited space to work with!

• Like 9
On 4/18/2023 at 8:10 PM, Chit Chat said:

Seriously!  Iguess having a laundry closet where you want one is better than nothing at all but putting stackable units in a small closet leaves you with no room for your supplies or a place to hang clothes up.  I have a small laundry space, so I know what a challenge it is when you have limited space to work with!

I have a laundry closet and yes, it is all about the convenience of where it is.  I love my neighborhood, but all the houses were built with the laundry hookups in an attached storage shed so you had to go outside to get into the shed to do your laundry.  What sold me on this place was that the previous owners had plumbed an upstairs closet and put in a stackable washer/dryer.  Since the washer was a top loader and the closet was wider than the doorway into it, they were able to put shelves on either side for storage.  The only issue I have now is that when the washer died, I replaced it with a washtower (which is awesome BTW), so the shelves weren't accessible anymore.  I just store my laundry stuff in the bathroom cupboard next door to the laundry closet.  Having a washer on the same level as the bedrooms is the best.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

The only issue I have now is that when the washer died, I replaced it with a washtower (which is awesome BTW), so the shelves weren't accessible anymore. 

Wow!  Why haven't I seen this option before?  I looked them up, and those units look good.  My washer & dryer are in a decent size hall closet with cabinets across the back wall above the units.  I've thought about having half of those cabinets removed and get a stackable (or BTW now that I know about it!), so that would free up a good bit of space.  I'm sure Hilary would do that if she was renovating my house!!

4 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

Having a washer on the same level as the bedrooms is the best.

I agree.  The first time I saw a W/D upstairs was when I was touring a Southern Living house back in the early 90's.  It was a big two-story home with a super nice laundry room upstairs near all of the bedrooms.  The tile floor was nice and had a lip to it so that if the washer overflowed, it wouldn't come over that and onto the floor.  They had a drain in place on the floor near the washer.  I had never seen that before and thought it was pretty neat at the time. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I'm surprised the couple stayed. Hillary put up a good front when she and David first walked through the house but I think she knew that it was going to be an uphill battle. Even with the budget, there was a lot to do and she only had so much square footage to work with. (Although, I think she did a really good job within the space, still, it was limited space).

Sometimes, I'd love to know what David and Hillary really think when they first walk through a house. David always has to make the house look bad and Hillary always has to sound positive but I'd love to hear them have a real conversation about the house.

• Like 7
10 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

David always has to make the house look bad and Hillary always has to sound positive but I'd love to hear them have a real conversation about the house.

We'd probably hear stuff like:  "OMG!  Can you believe this?"  "WTF?"  "How do these people live in this rat's nest?"  "Do these people know nothing about picking up after themselves?"  At least that's what I'm thinking!

10 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I'm surprised the couple stayed.

Me too, but the comfort of coming back to the space you've been in for so long is an advantage for Hilary.  She did an excellent job given how cramped that living room was.  The basement was really nice too.  I'm sure a lot of the kids' toys will end up back in the upstairs living room, because realistically, if either parent is home by themselves with the kids and they want to be upstairs, the kids will need to be upstairs with them - at least at this age.  It would be nice though if they could keep most of the kids' toys downstairs so that the upstairs would be easier walk around in and to keep clean, but I understand how it is with little ones.  Things can be cluttered and messy for a while!!  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I'm surprised the couple stayed. Hillary put up a good front when she and David first walked through the house but I think she knew that it was going to be an uphill battle. Even with the budget, there was a lot to do and she only had so much square footage to work with. (Although, I think she did a really good job within the space, still, it was limited space).

Sometimes, I'd love to know what David and Hillary really think when they first walk through a house. David always has to make the house look bad and Hillary always has to sound positive but I'd love to hear them have a real conversation about the house.

The thing is, it wasn't a tiny house. I'll grant you that the kitchen was small with no counter space,but they had a nice, large basement to work with. The basement bathroom was large and just needed rejigging. The basement was already finished so the updates should not have cost that much. Basically,the family just had TOO MUCH STUFF.  Why did they need so many coats, hats, scarves, etc? 

Why were there toys in the living room, when they had that nice big basement to play in? If it was because it was cold down there, then that's an easy fix.

I liked Hilary's makeover, but I would have listed it. David's find was larger and only 2 minutes away.

Are they back in Toronto? Housing prices there are insane!!!

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

I'm sure a lot of the kids' toys will end up back in the upstairs living room, because realistically, if either parent is home by themselves with the kids and they want to be upstairs, the kids will need to be upstairs with them - at least at this age.  It would be nice though if they could keep most of the kids' toys downstairs so that the upstairs would be easier walk around in and to keep clean, but I understand how it is with little ones.  Things can be cluttered and messy for a while!!  

How old were the children? The daughter was older, no? School age? I don't remember.

I do agree that SOME toys could remain upstairs while the kids are still young, but they had too many. I still think kids today have TOI MANY TOYS. I see it with my great- nephews and my own 2-year-old grandson.

I kept a wicker laundry basket in my living room when my sons were small. The living room toys got picked up and put there at the end of the day. The rest remained in the basement.

• Like 7

I'm pretty sure they're back in Canada. You can find those housing prices in cities in the US as well but I agree that the houses look different (they look like they did when Property Brothers started out and filmed in Canada) and last week and this week both featured shots with snow.

• Like 1

Most of the house shows film in Toronto, or the suburbs.    The prices give it away when they move back to Canada.       I really like the Canadian houses, but the prices are bonkers.  

So, from the commercial for the next season, David only wins about 40% of the time.    

• Useful 1

Last night's episode- the wife wanted to stay, and the husband wanted to list. The home was valued at 1 million pre-renovation and the couple had a $140,000  reno budget. They had an extensive list of projects and right away Hilary got them to take the kitchen renovation off of the list. The house was quite large and really lovely. I agreed with the wife and didn't think the kitchen needed any tweaking. The wife also did not want a big soaker tub in the en suite bathroom, so that was probably a + for the budget. 

I love when the homeowner just starts adding things to the list as time goes on. The husband wanted a walk out from the basement to the yard. I don't know how he thought that was going to happen with a subterranean basement level. The most they could do was what Hilary suggested. Replace the basement window with a door, and dig out the ground to build outside stairs, which would lead to the basement door. The cost was $25,000 and the husband refused.

Now, here's what I don't understand. After renovation, the new home value was $1,250,000. Their budget for the new home had been 1.4 million. David found them a fantastic home. It did have that walkout basement level and a pool and gorgeous backyard, facing a forest. Beautiful outdoor entertaining area. I probably would have bought the house, too. BUT, but but... NO MENTION that the new home was $1,600,000. That's 200K over their budget!  That 25K to have outdoor access to the yard was a drop in the budget to cough up, compared to $200,000.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

The husband wanted a walk out from the basement to the yard.

He irritated me! Most of the things he wanted could've easily been fixed.  Sometimes people don't see that what they've got is actually pretty good.  It just needs a little reconfiguring.  Of course, the house they bought was gorgeous.

I've never heard the term "walk out."  I thought all houses had a walk out, aka, the back door to the yard!  He said that it would be nice for their son, who was going to have a bedroom in the basement.   The only reason I'd want a door there would be for the kid's safety in case he needs to get out in an emergency, but just to have one so that he and his friends can step out to the backyard easily, um, no.  

At least with this family the house was tidy when Hilary & David got there.  That was a pleasant surprise.  It looked like they might've already moved a bunch of stuff out though.  

• Like 2
(edited)

This was the fourth show of the season (I think fourth), and the only one David won.   The house he found for them was spectacular.   Hilary's makeover was lovely, but the other house was better.   So David's overall wins is only 40%, but this season so far, it's 25%.    I really wonder how many of the love it couples change their minds after living in the remodel for a while, but after seeing homes that work better. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Chit Chat said:

I've never heard the term "walk out."  I thought all houses had a walk out, aka, the back door to the yard!  He said that it would be nice for their son, who was going to have a bedroom in the basement. 

When used with a lower level, 'walk out' means that you literally can open sliders or a French door or other door, and just walk out to the ground level of a back yard. Their basement was a true basement, in that it was subterranean. You'd need at least egress windows, if someone was going to be sleeping down there. To be able to get outside from the basement level, they'd have to dig and build a staircase down. All of the new construction out here is built that way. Personally, I had thought it was illegal b/c basement apartments are not legal around here to rent. But my nephew just finished his basement and added two bedrooms, a living room, office, and a full bath, with huge egress windows. He doesn't intend to rent out, but needs bedrooms for future children, as he has a one-bedroom, open concept one-floor home. Personally, I'd never stick my kids in a basement, no matter how nice it is, but my nephew assures me it's legal, as long as there isn't a kitchen, and it must not be rented. 

15 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

So...did they list it or love it? I keep missing the show for some reason 😕. I like David. He's a good sport.

They listed it. 

• Like 3
(edited)
33 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

This was the fourth show of the season (I think fourth), and the only one David won. 

I've never understood HGTV's seasons. I Googled LIOLI and it said that there have been 19 seasons. Season 19 had 10 episodes, beginning 9/5/2022 and ending 4/17/2023.  

So, how can this be the 4th episode of the new season?  Is this season 20? IMDB is even more confusing. It lists only 15 seasons, and I know that's not correct. Also, IMDB has changed its website. It gives very little information, now. I think you have to set up an account for more access, and I'm not sure if one has to pay for that. 

Edited by ECM1231
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

probably would have bought the house, too. BUT, but but... NO MENTION that the new home was $1,600,000. That's 200K over their budget!  That 25K to have outdoor access to the yard was a drop in the budget to cough up, compared to $200,000.

Exactly. Either they absolutely were going to move or they already found/bought the new house. So the 25K would have been a waste (stairs aren't a walkout and their walkout goes to the patio and the pool;-)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

You'd need at least egress windows, if someone was going to be sleeping down there.

I was looking for one and I thought I saw a window big enough to crawl out of, but it was up kind of high.  You'd need a ladder.  Then again, that might not have been the case and it wasn't a window I was seeing!

1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

So...did they list it or love it?

They listed it!  I think the new house will be better suited for them as a family.  

4 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Now, here's what I don't understand. After renovation, the new home value was $1,250,000. Their budget for the new home had been 1.4 million. David found them a fantastic home. It did have that walkout basement level and a pool and gorgeous backyard, facing a forest. Beautiful outdoor entertaining area. I probably would have bought the house, too. BUT, but but... NO MENTION that the new home was $1,600,000. That's 200K over their budget!  That 25K to have outdoor access to the yard was a drop in the budget to cough up, compared to $200,000.

Usually, if the final home ends up being over the budget the increase in value of the house makes up for it. Of course, the home owners have to get the price David says their house is worth first.

3 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

He irritated me!

Glad I'm not the only one. There was just something about him... That they listed didn't surprise me at all. I think Hillary could have rebuilt the whole house and he would have moved.

It also irritates me when they ask for things but then don't want to invest the money.

I loved Hillary's "no, seriously, what's my budget" when she heard how much money she had to get the list done. She either is a very good actress or that was her sincere reaction when she was told.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

Usually, if the final home ends up being over the budget the increase in value of the house makes up for it. Of course, the home owners have to get the price David says their house is worth first.

But this wasn't the case. The new value of the renovated home was $1,250,000. That's a long way off from 1.6K, or even the 1.4K that they had budgeted for the new home.

• Useful 1
19 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

But this wasn't the case. The new value of the renovated home was $1,250,000. That's a long way off from 1.6K, or even the 1.4K that they had budgeted for the new home.

As I understand it, the budget is based on the mortgage they can get and if they manage to sell the house for what it is said to be worth after renovation, they're going to have more money in the bank and therefore, they can get a higher/better mortgage rate.

So, the new value doesn't have to cover the purchase price of the new home (I don't think it usually does), it just needs to help them get a higher mortgage.

(edited)

I am catching up on this season. Watched one last night where Hillary re-did a basement, including making a subway-tiled cave of a bathroom quite nice. Except! She put in a double vanity with cabinets below the sinks--so far so good. But the bottom bit of the vanity was open shelves for towels. Like 6 inches from the floor. "How nice that she included cat beds!" I said to the TV. Seriously, who likes to wash towels so much they think that keeping them on open shelves next to the floor is a good idea?

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 3
  • LOL 5
On 5/10/2023 at 8:18 PM, jcbrown said:

Seriously, who likes to wash towels so much they think that keeping them on open shelves next to the floor is a good idea?

It's like open shelves. I don't think they're practical especially if you keep dishes on there. (Unless you only have two plates, two bowls, two cups, etc and use them every day or every other day). But they might still catch grease or whatever other particles accumulate in the kitchen air when you're cooking.

I'm generally not a fan of open anything. Not only does it mean that whatever you keep there is prone to collecting dust much quicker, you also always have to keep it neat and tidy because you can't just shut a door on it and I think that wastes (valuable) space.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

Embrace new challenges? Hope Hilary is alright. We’ll see who replaces her. I liked that she and David were older.

And I still fantasize about her redoing my bathroom. Although she’d bust my budget taking space from the bedroom to enlarge it!

• Like 4

I thought that was a really interesting and thoughtful interview by Hilary. Honestly, it sounds to me like her decision to leave was driven in large part by the pandemic upheaval and the practical/psychological fallout from that. Which makes her not so different from huge swaths of the population across all walks of life. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Can someone summarize for me? I don't have a Twitter account. Thanks.

I don't have X but to me it sounds like a different (from Love It) new show is seeking participants who want to renovate their homes. I wonder if David will be a part of it. Hope so as I enjoyed his expressive looks into the camera 😁.

• Thanks 1