Type keyword(s) to search

Love It Or List It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, absnow54 said:

This week’s Change of Heart, the couple said that they listed the house, but couldn’t sell it for the price they wanted, which makes me think David’s appraisal numbers are total bull.

Does anyone remember the HGTV show "Bang for your Buck" that was on I think around the early 2010's? They would feature three different homes that recently had the same renovation (possibly on the same or similar budgets, I don't remember). The host and a guest designer would go into the renovated room in each house and evaluate the work that was done and then at the end of the episode they would wrap up by going over how much money each house would get if it were to go the market and how that compared to what they spent on the renovation. People on that show would rarely make more money than they spent on the renovation. At best they would break even. And sometimes they wouldn't even recoup the full cost of the renovation, especially if their renovations weren't bland, like putting orange cabinets in the kitchen. David's "appraisals" are always at least break even and usually show the new value of the house more than covering the renovations costs, so I agree with you on his appraisals.

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Useful 2

We don't know what their asking price was for the change of heart guys. They might have tried to get more than David estimated.

Did not like the wife on the new episode. Master closet did not need updating, Hillary should've taken it off the list.

Australia episode was ok. Missed all the drama we usually get when they want to enclose a deck. Maybe codes not as strict? Agree with everyone that they lost upstairs outdoor space.

14 hours ago, absnow54 said:

the couple said that they listed the house, but couldn’t sell it for the price they wanted, 

I thought the owner was being sarcastic, joking that the place meant so much to them with the remodel and history that they'd only let it go for an exorbitant price. 

• Love 1
On 8/31/2020 at 4:38 AM, Broderbits said:

I see that an episode of Love It Or List It Australia will be on tomorrow after the new LIOLI. Does anyone know who hosts it? I'm looking forward to seeing something outside of Raleigh for a change!

It's my dream team of design shows : real estate agent Andrew Winter (from Selling House Australia, if you don't know this one try to look for it) and designer Neale Whitaker (also a judge on The Block AU, he's much more relatable on LIOLI). LIOLI AU is a fun light show and there are indeed some interesting properties.

• Love 1

Episode where a family is in a 1970s-ish home that looks nice from the outside, but is really weird and chopped up on the inside. That was definitely a tough remodel. 

I actually thought that the first house David showed them checked off all of their boxes ... I think they complained about the owner's suite closets being small. Did that house also have an oven / cooktop without a good exhaust fan? I know that was a big thing for them.

My hubby was extremely cynical when the homeowners told Hillary about having to do LOTS of expensive tree work. He thought they we trying to negotiate to get the renovation done for less money. My first comment would have been "so what is coming off my list?" 

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

He thought they we trying to negotiate to get the renovation done for less money. My first comment would have been "so what is coming off my list?" 

Hello, my number one pet peeve about this show. I get that the majority of homeowners sign up for a Hilary remodel (I would, too). And naturally, the producers urge outrage when repairs have to be made (especially structural, plumbing or electric problems these dweebs deigned not to fix before this) that hit the budget in a bad way. How is that Hilary's fault? How do you not understand that either the budget is raised or something on your wishlist gets chopped? Oh wait, of course you do. Take two on your dialing up your faux outrage.🤨

Haven't forgotten the criticism of houses David "shows" them. Ack, who could live with that closet (the current homeowners who are staying put, thanks)? This is a gut (serviceable finishes that aren't your taste--in a house that wasn't customized for you). 

I just got a DVR system. Experimenting with it, but seems like even in real time, I can FF to Hilary's reveal.

• Love 3
On 9/6/2020 at 4:30 PM, Sarnia said:

It's my dream team of design shows : real estate agent Andrew Winter (from Selling House Australia, if you don't know this one try to look for it) and designer Neale Whitaker (also a judge on The Block AU, he's much more relatable on LIOLI). LIOLI AU is a fun light show and there are indeed some interesting properties.

I’m watching the entire first season of Australia love it or list it right now, I am really enjoying it, the realtor and the designer are both guys and charming and natural no phoney animosity or anything, no drama with unexpected renovations but great design elements and house tours etc 👍👍

• Love 2
4 hours ago, endure said:

I’m watching the entire first season of Australia love it or list it right now, I am really enjoying it, the realtor and the designer are both guys and charming and natural no phoney animosity or anything, no drama with unexpected renovations but great design elements and house tours etc 👍👍

Any non open concept designs?

4 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Any non open concept designs?

It didn’t stand out like it can, they seemed to come up with a lot of great designs for some difficult spaces, a few episodes with larger families in smaller homes etc, some interesting renos and listed houses.

• Love 1

I fast forward and watch the last 10 minutes but before the couple say Love it or List it. It makes my tv viewing much more enjoyable. I would mind Hillary stopping by and working her magic. I’m all game for a white house. LOL!!!!

• Love 2

I am really surprised that the Triplex folks did not go with the new place rather than staying even though the result doubled the size.  But maybe the new place was just too much house for them.  It would undoubtedly be a rise in heating/cooling expenses and I can't imagine having to clean multiple bathrooms. I never get why people need 3 or 4 bathroom for a family of 3 or 4. 

• Love 1

New DVR owner here (finally included in the plan)--pretty much just going to just watch the reveals. Hilary does nice, if similar, work, I'm a sucker for before/after stuff and the "choices" make no sense or aren't true! 

Also, the new contractor isn't as much fun as the old one. Iirc, he had Covid early on, hope he recovered.

• Love 2

I liked the "new place" for the triplex family, EXCEPT for the lot itself. Why was there so much gravel? It was sort of hard to tell what was the front of the house. The larger lower level for the mom would have been nice. Kitchen was just so-so for me. I preferred Hilary's kitchen.

LOVED David showing the husband the sidewalk in front of one of the houses. I will say, if "walkability" and sidewalks are a big thing for the buyers, don't show them houses on busy streets with no sidewalks.

Cleaning up the front porch was a huge feature. What a great space. New house color was OK. Maybe a navy blue or brighter blue would have been more remarkable. Why were there so many colors of siding to begin with? They thought about painting the exterior but never got around to it?

On 9/22/2020 at 2:19 PM, buttersister said:

New DVR owner here (finally included in the plan)--pretty much just going to just watch the reveals. Hilary does nice, if similar, work, I'm a sucker for before/after stuff and the "choices" make no sense or aren't true! 

Also, the new contractor isn't as much fun as the old one. Iirc, he had Covid early on, hope he recovered.

Eric did recover.  🙂 https://people.com/home/love-it-or-list-it-star-eric-eremita-miraculously-survives-coronavirus-after-2-weeks-on-ventilator/

• Love 12

Empty-nesters in a cute Cape Code on a golf course. Looking to downsize and reduce outdoor maintenance. The house was dated but looked really well-kept. Wife was a pain, and you could tell that Hilary CLEARLY didn't like her. She said she wanted open-concept, but then kept saying "not that open!"

I give Hilary a lot of credit for giving her the "no glass" shower that she wanted. It was a very creative solution ... I have to agree somewhat with the homeowner that whereas glass looks beautiful and is totally on trend, it can be a bear to clean if you don't keep up with it.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I have to agree somewhat with the homeowner that whereas glass looks beautiful and is totally on trend, it can be a bear to clean if you don't keep up with it.

I'm right there with that one. I absolutely hate glass doors for upkeep.  I don't know about the rest of the world but I have no desire for people to see my scrubbies, shampoo, soap, and bottles on display.

Plus I don't need an accidental full frontal to anyone who happens to open the door by mistatke.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm right there with that one. I absolutely hate glass doors for upkeep.  I don't know about the rest of the world but I have no desire for people to see my scrubbies, shampoo, soap, and bottles on display.

Plus I don't need an accidental full frontal to anyone who happens to open the door by mistatke.  

When we renovated our master bath and put in new glass doors I selected a "rain effect" glass that doesn't show water spots and isn't "clear" so from either side you don't see in or out ☺️

• Love 3
17 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

When we renovated our master bath and put in new glass doors I selected a "rain effect" glass that doesn't show water spots and isn't "clear" so from either side you don't see in or out ☺️

OOh, I need that! I thought the glass showers were a great thing until I had to clean them. I would love to go back to a shower curtain, frankly, with a liner I can throw out when it gets messy.

17 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

What I can't believe is that in one of the HGTV dream/smart homes and a couple of times in HH International, the master bath is open to the bedroom so that the freakin' glass shower is A WALL in the bedroom. I can't imagine waking up every morning and staring at the shower. It's bad enough when I walk in there to see it.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I can't believe that a kitchen (no walls taken down), a three piece bathroom, staining floors and getting rid of popcorn ceilings costs $125,000. Either they left something out of they're lying. 

It's the ceilings.  Removing popcorn ceilings necessitates asbestos abatement procedures, and that costs coin.  Unless you have the money and time to have someone come in and upend your house for a while to get rid of them, if you have that type of ceiling in your house it's recommended to keep them unless you see evidence of crumbling, and at the point you need to call in the pros to deal with it.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

It's the ceilings.  Removing popcorn ceilings necessitates asbestos abatement procedures, and that costs coin.  Unless you have the money, if you have that type of ceiling in your house it's recommended to with them unless you see evidence of crumbling, and at the point you need to call in the pros to deal with it. 

Not according to https://www.theasbestosinstitute.com/2019/10/24/popcorn-ceiling-removal-cost/

• Useful 2

Either they was a lot of acting going on in the latest episode, or those two owners are morons. The house they (supposedly?) are moving to doesn't have three things that were at the top of their Need List. Four if you count the price.

18 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Either they was a lot of acting going on in the latest episode, or those two owners are morons. The house they (supposedly?) are moving to doesn't have three things that were at the top of their Need List. Four if you count the price.

Well it wouldn't take much to convince me that 90% of the homeowners on HGTV are morons, but that's just me. What was the house missing? And how many of the "we're going to list it" people actually move to the house David found them?

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

Well it wouldn't take much to convince me that 90% of the homeowners on HGTV are morons, but that's just me.

Not, not just you.  "Our current house must have an additional bathroom, remodeled kitchen, new walk in closet, new laundry room, a game room, a media room, and a finished basement.  You have $1250 to do it all."

I have a feeling a lot fewer people actually move when they say "list it".  Some of the pandemic episodes have them revisiting spots and several decided to stay.

40 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

Well it wouldn't take much to convince me that 90% of the homeowners on HGTV are morons, but that's just me. What was the house missing? And how many of the "we're going to list it" people actually move to the house David found them?

They were desperate that their house have a stove top that didn't face a wall (the list it house didn't have one), a large bathtub (list it house didn't have A bathtub, let alone a large one), mature trees (no trees on the property period) and it was at least $50k over the budget. What about that says perfect house when you compare it to what they claimed to need?

• Love 5

Usually the banter is too obviously scripted but there are what seem like genuine gems now and then. They drove past a house with a big boat in the driveway and David said if I lived around here I'd be boating all the time. Hillary said after they met you that wouldn't be happening. It came off pretty real and not as mean as it sounds. David is such a sad sack, I almost wish more clients would list it to lift his spirits. (Not). I'm almost always a love it. 

• Love 1

This show is giving me a lot of comfort during the pandemic. There’s something about having only two choices that seems so simple, so easy. And I love the sister/brother banter between Hillary and Dave.

• Love 4

I remember reading a long time ago, that after the first season or two, the imbalance between Love It and List It was so uneven that they made up stories about Love It people suddenly selling, or List It people who stayed in the house.   Then I read that they film two endings, and balance it out that way.     They also know before they ever start filming if the homeowners are going to sell or stay.  

• Love 1

A new show in HGTV town - Ty Breaker.  Gosh, this concept seemed awfully familiar. Except for small differences.
Ty Pennington (love it!) and a guest designer (list it!) come up with plans to redo both the current home and a new home.  Either choice requires a renovation budget. The "suspense" is short-lived, as the choice is made early in the episode.  And of course there is a reveal at the end.

I've only seen one episode, not impressed so far.  🥱

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 4

I just like to watch for the reveal. Hillary’s design ascetic is very calming. My next house will look just like it. Basically, a museum but a bright and airy museum. LOL!!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • LOL 2

I'm catching up with 2018/2019 episodes on Hulu, and I'm honestly tired of North Carolina. All of the homes look the same (huge, large lots, little urban charm), which was why they originally left Toronto (the sameness). I'd like some variety.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, DB in CMH said:

I'm catching up with 2018/2019 episodes on Hulu, and I'm honestly tired of North Carolina. All of the homes look the same (huge, large lots, little urban charm), which was why they originally left Toronto (the sameness). I'd like some variety.

As long as Hilary is the "designer" there isn't going to be much variety no matter where they are.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

As long as Hilary is the "designer" there isn't going to be much variety no matter where they are.

I guess with any designer it would be same-same all the time. Unless, you were Hildy on Trading Spaces. Her designs were just cray cray. LOL!!!!! Joanna Gaines is always the same but I really liked it. I miss seeing them on HGTV. I don’t miss Chip but I do miss Joanna’s work. 

• Love 2
On 11/3/2020 at 9:53 PM, Kohola3 said:

Not, not just you.  "Our current house must have an additional bathroom, remodeled kitchen, new walk in closet, new laundry room, a game room, a media room, and a finished basement.  You have $1250 to do it all."

I watched an old episode tonight, from 11-17-17 and this ^^^^ is a bit similar to what the young couple wanted--including a soundproof room for him & his bandmates to practice + a garage + a room for her to paint furniture (all this in a tiny Cape Cod style house). Their budget to attain all of these additions? $90,000. Hilary almost laughed in their faces. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I watched an old episode tonight, from 11-17-17 and this ^^^^ is a bit similar to what the young couple wanted--including a soundproof room for him & his bandmates to practice + a garage + a room for her to paint furniture (all this in a tiny Cape Cod style house). Their budget to attain all of these additions? $90,000. Hilary almost laughed in their faces. 

And these sorts of people always seem to have leaky roofs, leaky basements, leaky plumbing, and/or rooms with no insulation that they must have known about but never mentioned, hoping that favours would be pulled to get some of their continual neglect of basic maintenance covered for free.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Blueberry Snobal said:

Why are they now referring to the master bedroom as the primary bedroom on several HGTV shows?

Because not all buyers are men or want to be reminded of the days when people with their skin colour were enslaved. 

• Love 2

Out of all of the shows on HGTV this one has the nastiest participants.  I used to watch religiously until I couldn't take the entitlement and nastiness to Hillary.  Now every so often I'll watch but I usually have to change it.

There is also stupidity involved too.  I'm watching one right now, Season 9, Episode 8, where the idiot homeowner wants the cooktop on the island so she can be in her daughter's face while she does her homework.  Hillary wants to put it against the wall and says all you need to do is turn around and she'll be right there.  Bitchy homeowner..says "I love it and I want it".  I want to slap her silly.

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Bitchy homeowner..says "I love it and I want it".  I want to slap her silly.

It will take one of her daughter's homework papers or a napkin catching fire for her to understand why ranges are not recommended for multi-use islands.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Hillary wants to put it against the wall and says all you need to do is turn around and she'll be right there.

I much prefer the episodes in which Hillary just tells them they’re nuts over her long-suffering rants to her contractor. Or kills stuff at the beginning, e.g., $90K for that list? No carport for you! (Unspoken “asshole.”)

I guess I’ll take David’s tired shtick about losing rather than idiot homeowners yelling at Hillary because their house had a zero dollars maintenance budget.

• Love 4