Type keyword(s) to search

Love It Or List It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/26/2019 at 9:08 PM, jcbrown said:

and the much beloved folding counter for laundry (I have never in my life had that so I don't really get the requirement--do they not have beds to toss the clothes on and then fold them?).

I don't have a counter either, but I'm guessing that with some of these owners, their clean clothes will end up in one big pile on said counter, never to be folded.  I can't believe what slobs a lot of these folks are.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I don't have a counter either, but I'm guessing that with some of these owners, their clean clothes will end up in one big pile on said counter, never to be folded.  I can't believe what slobs a lot of these folks are.  

Yeah, i sometimes do that.

Or, I just take out the stuff from the dryer piece by piece and fold/stack it on top of the dryer and then put it away. I don't get this being that big of a problem.

• Love 1

Episode where family had built a custom home, but now with the kids growing up and having TONS of stuff, the wife wants to move. She had her dining room table covered with various small kitchen appliances because she loves to cook, and there was also a second refrigerator in the dining room. (I will admit, that is more practical than having a 2nd fridge in the basement or the garage.)

Hilary took the dining room space and created a large, eat-in kitchen, which I liked. (Many people don't need or use a "formal dining room". )

They said they would list it ... I think David is getting more "list its" this season.

Watching today’s marathon of episodes, and I always love the contrast of the Canadian episodes when they’re like “man, a second bedroom would be nice, but I guess we can sacrifice it so we can have one full bathroom.”

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:37 AM, ChitChat said:

I'm always stunned by how messy some of the homes are that Hillary & David first walk into.  All some of them need is to be cleaned up and organized!  There was one episode in which an owner thought they needed a bigger house for all of their stuff.  I was screaming at the TV "pick up your mess you idiot and you'll find tons of space!"  

I'm always amazed at how much better a home looks when it's completely empty.  I wonder how many people they have that come in and pack everything up and move it.  That's a hell of a lot of work!  Do the owners pay extra if they decide to keep the furnishings that Hillary stages with, like they do on Fixer Upper? 

Given that this show, like everything else on HGTV, is highly scripted, I suspect the owners are told to make their homes as messy as possible for the beginning of the shoot.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:00 AM, annzeepark914 said:

You're fortunate that you can't hear these crackly voices. 

I can't hear vocal fry either.  Not even in all the clips people have posted to demonstrate what it is.  It's a blessing, I guess.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:41 AM, chessiegal said:

First, how would CPS know? Second, I am unaware of any laws on the books anywhere that dictate sleeping arrangements within one's home.

I guess maybe someone at CPS might watch the show?  In real life, I know when public assistance is involved, they do have requirements regarding bedrooms for children of different genders and about sharing with parents, but if you're not receiving assistance, I don't think the government cares.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:08 PM, jcbrown said:

the much beloved folding counter for laundry (I have never in my life had that so I don't really get the requirement--do they not have beds to toss the clothes on and then fold them?).

I've always used the top of the dryer for that.

• Love 2

Any time the family mention the word school... they are not moving.

About the added value... it has to do with the neighborhood... no matter what you do, if the values in your in your area are 200k to 300k you are never going to get 400k.

i remember a show long time ago, something like my house is worth what... and some realtor were telling people not to make big improvements if they wanted to sell the house, because they will not get their money back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, El maestro said:

About the added value... it has to do with the neighborhood... no matter what you do, if the values in your in your area are 200k to 300k you are never going to get 400k.

i remember a show long time ago, something like my house is worth what... and some realtor were telling people not to make big improvements if they wanted to sell the house, because they will not get their money back.

Yup. I said this a while back--that it drove me nuts when David would show the owners how much more value their house had, thanks to Hilary's improvements. It was especially bad if the renovated house was surrounded by old or dumpy looking houses. I'd love to know, if the owners listed, if they *really* got $80,000--$100,000 more for their house and could afford that new, bigger house David showed them.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I said this a while back--that it drove me nuts when David would show the owners how much more value their house had, thanks to Hilary's improvements.

Those higher numbers are especially suspect when the "improvements" consist of repairing neglected damage, bringing the house up to code, and buying new furniture that will not convey with the property.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Broderbits said:

Those higher numbers are especially suspect when the "improvements" consist of repairing neglected damage, bringing the house up to code, and buying new furniture that will not convey with the property.

In addition, when some of the "improvements" are very specific to the homeowners' wants. Like turning a dining room into a "man cave/office" or a recent one that I saw where a master bedroom was cut in half to create an office.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

In addition, when some of the "improvements" are very specific to the homeowners' wants. Like turning a dining room into a "man cave/office" or a recent one that I saw where a master bedroom was cut in half to create an office.

or converting a garage into any other kind of room

• Love 5
5 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Or Hilary building the hidden wheelchair ramp in front of the house—which I loved, but it was specific to that family’s needs.  No surprise that they chose to love it. 

• Love 3

I was really really not a fan of last night's hoarders couple. Walking into the new office Hillary was creating and proposing to use it for storage? They had so so much crap and they will continue to fill up whatever space they occupy with piles, is my opinion. And refusing to add an entirely new bathroom for the crazy low price of $10K when you are already doing a reno is incredibly short-sighted.

• Love 11
35 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

And refusing to add an entirely new bathroom for the crazy low price of $10K when you are already doing a reno is incredibly short-sighted.

I didn't see it, but if you don't have an "extra" $10k you don't have it. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I didn't see it, but if you don't have an "extra" $10k you don't have it. 

Absolutely, but that was not the case for them, I don't think. They were just weirdos.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 1/7/2020 at 10:50 PM, jcbrown said:

I was really really not a fan of last night's hoarders couple. Walking into the new office Hillary was creating and proposing to use it for storage? They had so so much crap and they will continue to fill up whatever space they occupy with piles, is my opinion.

I agree, and I could tell that Hilary really didn't like them either. I would have given them some tough love in the beginning. "Do you really need more space, or do you need to get rid of a lot of stuff?!?!"

Let's imagine that they did decide to move. Instead of having a garage sale and decluttering and getting rid of things, they probably would just pack it all up and bring it to the new house, which they would then proceed to junk up. Yuck. Can you image how the moving company had to pack up all of their stuff to clear the house for the reno?

• Love 5

I love the last 5-10 minutes of this show. It’s all I watch. Hillary makes everything so light & airy. My next place will be new, light & airy. Basically, it will be white. LOL!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Couple with 2 boys, one a teenager or pre-teen, I think, and a younger one as well. They were in a little cottage-type place on a large lot. The house actually looked bigger on the inside than it did from the exterior shots. Would be a great house/property if you are a "free range" type parent who says "Go outside and play until it gets dark out!"

They had a healthy budget for a new house ... I wonder how far out they were? 

I still enjoy the show, and I love Hilary and David, but something seems to be off this season. I think the homeowners are lacking in personality.

Slightly off-topic: Does anyone remember "Designing for the Sexes", where a couple had different styles and the designer had to come up with something that they both would like? (This is many, many years ago.)  I don't want Hilary to go off on her own, but I could see her being the designer of that type of show, since she seems to work well with the people.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Couple with 2 boys, one a teenager or pre-teen, I think, and a younger one as well. They were in a little cottage-type place on a large lot. The house actually looked bigger on the inside than it did from the exterior shots. Would be a great house/property if you are a "free range" type parent who says "Go outside and play until it gets dark out!"

They had a healthy budget for a new house ... I wonder how far out they were? 

I still enjoy the show, and I love Hilary and David, but something seems to be off this season. I think the homeowners are lacking in personality.

Slightly off-topic: Does anyone remember "Designing for the Sexes", where a couple had different styles and the designer had to come up with something that they both would like? (This is many, many years ago.)  I don't want Hilary to go off on her own, but I could see her being the designer of that type of show, since she seems to work well with the people.

I remember Designing for the Sexes! I have the designer's book, it's MIchael Payne. I wish that was still on or would come back.

I agree about the homeowners this season, there are more I roll my eyes at than in previous seasons.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ML89 said:

I remember Designing for the Sexes!

Me too! The designer was so gracious and really listened to the clients, the show was a pleasure to watch. I agree that Hilary would be a good choice to revive the show if HGTV ever chose to use more qualified people instead of actors.

• Love 6

I enjoyed the episode with the cottage In the woods.  I get that it isn't the most practical house in the world (I do love what Hilary did with the barn),  but what a refreshing break from the relentless parade of McMansions on these U.S. episodes.  

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 4
On 1/3/2020 at 12:05 AM, El maestro said:

It generally seems like these houses are the worst on the block, because usually it’s hard for them to find something better with their higher price range. I feel like they also give the lowest end of the appraisal at the beginning and then highest end at the end, because yeah, unless you’re adding beds, baths, and above grade square footage, you’re not getting your money back.

I guess the season is already over and we’re switching to Home Town?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DVDFreaker said:

I miss Hilary’s old contractor Eric, he makes me laugh! It sucks he left to do other projects, Hilary’s new contractor is boring

I'd rather he was still there, too.  I was wondering why he left.  He left of his own volition?

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

I'd rather he was still there, too.  I was wondering why he left.  He left of his own volition?

Yes, he decided to leave so he can do other projects, it sucks but it is understandable since he wants to try something new 

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • Love 1
On 1/16/2020 at 4:35 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Work well with the people? You mean when she's poo-pooing what they want and telling them they should want something else instead? Or when she's designing the same 3 rooms over and over again. None of her designs are original. She could do three episodes and then just tell the workers "watch those episodes". 

Heh, there's a similarity to her rooms, she has a style for sure, but she nails function most of the time. And she can come over here anytime.

I haven't noticed her poo-pooing homeowners so much as a WTF? you think I can do $200K amount of work for $75K. Otoh, it's hard not to be a little judgy walking into some of those homes--I'm referring to the ones that could also have appeared on Hoarders.

Pet peeve alert: Overflowing closets before, expanded closets afterward--but with 90% of the clothing missing. I KNOW we have too much stuff, but who's dumping the majority of it?

• Love 7
3 hours ago, buttersister said:

Heh, there's a similarity to her rooms, she has a style for sure, but she nails function most of the time. And she can come over here anytime.

I haven't noticed her poo-pooing homeowners so much as a WTF? you think I can do $200K amount of work for $75K. Otoh, it's hard not to be a little judgy walking into some of those homes--I'm referring to the ones that could also have appeared on Hoarders.

Pet peeve alert: Overflowing closets before, expanded closets afterward--but with 90% of the clothing missing. I KNOW we have too much stuff, but who's dumping the majority of it?

Open concept 100% of the time isn't function IMO. As for poo-pooing, it's more the owners say a garage or a screened in porch is important on our list and she just refuses to even consider it. 

I agree about closets. Those are pre-loaded ones that they show. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Open concept 100% of the time isn't function IMO. As for poo-pooing, it's more the owners say a garage or a screened in porch is important on our list and she just refuses to even consider it. 

I agree about closets. Those are pre-loaded ones that they show. 

I do think it's funny that the closet reveal(s) show four sweaters hanging from hangers. Of course, it's gonna look bigger with that display. LOL!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 2/8/2020 at 11:18 PM, DVDFreaker said:

Yes, he decided to leave so he can do other projects, it sucks but it is understandable since he wants to try something new 

Thanks, @DVDFreaker!  I'm glad to hear it was his own choice.  I was afraid they'd canned him.  So far, his replacement/s have been nowheresville.

• Love 3

Watched an episode this morning …………   major unexpected sewage problem - they have to rerun the entire line/big $$$  - and this husband's response to Hillary is that she'd better step up her game so they can still get all their unreasonable needs addressed...…. yeah, right...

Then another redoing the house for the husband with MS or Muscular Dystrophy.  Building 2 ramps, converting the garage to their master bedroom and then she wants a carport added in front of the master so she can have an outside area to sit and chit-chat with her girl friends.  What if they had decided to list it? Whoever bought it would have to take down the ramps and would have no garage.

I don't know why I watch this show.  Just annoys me.

• Love 7

So right about the time Hilary said she’d customize the house to meet that guy’s needs was when the screen started flashing, We’re Going to Love It!

The no-shit shows don’t bother me as much as the dweebs who bitch when they lose some optional thing to deal with a freaking structural problem in their damn house. That’s when the dumb kicks in.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

As for poo-pooing, it's more the owners say a garage or a screened in porch is important on our list and she just refuses to even consider it. 

I've seen her ask the people what she could take off the list in order to have the budget to deliver something else on the the list and I've seen her find out that some ordinance (or just plain physics) won't allow for the important list item, but I have never seen her "refuse to consider" something. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I actually prefer LIOLI2; it seems to give me more usable ideas than the original show and Jillian's style is closer to my own. I still adore Hilary, David not so much. But the main reason I watch version2 is the location: Vancouver and surroundings are just so gorgeous! The mountains, the water, and more vintage-type homes than the NC McMansions, all appeal to me.

• Love 4

Much prefer LIOLI2. The banter between Hilary and David is mean spirited whereas Tod and Jillian are silly and funny. Plus, as Broderbits said, Vancouver is just a much more glorious city to be house-fixing in which makes for a much better show. As for the designing, neither Hilary or Jillian do it, it's done by professional design companies. They do the finishing touches and staging.

• Love 1

I caught a very old episode this weekend (season 3!) about a Filipino couple who had a young baby and lived in a 3 bedroom townhome.  Her two sisters had immigrated from the Phillipines and soon after, one of their husbands joined them as well.  To frost the cake, then one of the sisters decided that it was apparently a good time to get pregnant.  That poor homeowner husband!  He was so gracious and kind whenever speaking of the less than desirable situation.  I can't count how many times he said, "I love her family but....." because he just wanted 2 inches of space to himself in his own home.  Everytime he vocalized that it was just too many people crammed into a too small space, the wife verbally slapped the crap out of him.  Really?  You can't have a bit of understanding for why suddenly supporting 3 adults and one soon to be baby is a lot to take on?  I gave him a whole lot of credit for his patience. 

I understand that there are cultural/family themes at play here, but boy, the sisters and brother-in-law were lucky.  The homeowner sister said she had to work 3 jobs when she first came to the country and she didn't want them to have to.  This was a very generous and kind sentiment, so I have to hope her behavior towards her husband was just to provide conflict for the show.    

The homeowner sister also looked like she could have been a previous Miss World.  The sisters were not, shall we say, so facially gifted!    

Edited by Kiki620
Changed wording.
  • Love 2
(edited)

Hoping Eric makes a full recovery!

Watching what I think is a repeat now. Homeowner Steve is an accountant and is really cheap. Their home is valued at 324K and they gave a budget of around $540,000 for the new house. He's the one who wants to leave. He wants to enlarge the master bath, renovate the kitchen, renovate the children's bath, make an office for him AND add square footage all for $75,000. Oh, now he wants to add new windows to the entire house. Cost comes in at 15K. He wants to give Hilary $6,000 and expects her to replace all the windows with the extra $. She said nope, but I will take your master bath off the table. Nope, not acceptable. They took the secondary bath off the table so they can get windows.  I really want to smack this guy!!!!!

Edited by ECM1231
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

I saw an old (I think) episode this weekend with a couple who had a cramped-as-hell bungalow and 4 kids--a boy in his own small main-floor BR and 3 girls in one large basement BR (even though they also had a guest room!). The husband wanted more space but the wife was so resistant to it, insisting that it was fine as is. Ugh. But worse, she kept insisting she was a great, neat freak/organizer even though their place looked like a mess. She was one of the few that I think may be an asshole in real life and not just amped up for TV.

• Love 3

I watched an episode episode of this last night, I'm sure it was an old one. Anyhow, it was about a couple who had twin 5 year old boys and bought a house prior to having them and it had a huge cliff in the back which wasn't safe for the kids. Obviously there is nothing Hilary could do about that but the inside was small with a lot of wasted space. But the guy was so negative about everything, including every house David showed and the work that Hilary did. He seemed to have no concern what-so-ever about his kids and their safety (or wants as they had to share a room) or his wife's needs (as she needed an office to work from home). I'm sure it was a staged or they were actors. Because if those were real people I'm sure a divorce is in their future.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, blueray said:

I watched an episode episode of this last night, I'm sure it was an old one. Anyhow, it was about a couple who had twin 5 year old boys and bought a house prior to having them and it had a huge cliff in the back which wasn't safe for the kids. Obviously there is nothing Hilary could do about that but the inside was small with a lot of wasted space. But the guy was so negative about everything, including every house David showed and the work that Hilary did. He seemed to have no concern what-so-ever about his kids and their safety (or wants as they had to share a room) or his wife's needs (as she needed an office to work from home). I'm sure it was a staged or they were actors. Because if those were real people I'm sure a divorce is in their future.

Was this the guy who was in some kind of band?  If so, he was an asshat and the episode was hard to watch.

12 hours ago, readheaded said:

Was this the guy who was in some kind of band?  If so, he was an asshat and the episode was hard to watch.

I don't recall it saying what he did just that she was home with the kids more often.

I saw the episode last night of the redo for the man with MS.  I knew from the start that they weren't going to move and I suspect there was never even a thought of moving.  You don’t pour $150,000 (or whatever it was) into making a house wheelchair friendly with the idea of selling it.  The couple was making that into a forever home.  Or at least for as long as it met his physical needs.

• Love 1

I saw part of a rerun last night.  They bought a fixer upper and didn’t get all the projects done before their son was born, and husband wants to move.  I thought both were difficult to say the least, but when they decided to list I appreciated they acknowledged Heidi.  They thanked her for adding so much value to the house that it allowed them to buy a move-in ready house originally out of their price range.  I hate how list-it guy treats Heidi and the competition.  I know it’s part of their shtick, but it annoys me.  Heidi accepted their answer so nicely by saying her goal was for them to have a house they loved and she was happy they were getting it.