Type keyword(s) to search

Cold Case - General Discussion

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ugh, I hate her stupid clingy sister.  I hate that wide-eyed, whiny faux innocent routine of hers, like she's just totally perplexed and wounded that Lilly doesn't want to deal with her self-induced messes anymore.  And I hate her relationship with Scotty, which every person in the world told each of them should absolutely not happen, but they're both idiots, so it did (Scotty, dude, here's a hint: if Nick Fucking Vera knows something is a bad idea, it's a BAD IDEA).  Each time the actor's name came up in the guest starring credits, I cringed.

I'm relieved there was no eighth season because they were running out of money to do the music properly, and the cases were getting less interesting, but also because I think they intended to let Scotty get away with murder, which would have been the final straw for me, and because Lilly would have been taking care of Christina and her baby, and Scotty would get his Captain Save-a-Ho complex on and help. <shudder>

I thought the character was well done. Not that I liked her as a person, but she was believable and recognizable to me. Especially with their mother being a similar type, it made so much sense that Lily went to one extreme and her younger sister went down a path closer to their mother's. Lily's mom also did the "I don't understand why you have such a problem with me" routine to Lily on a regular basis. And Scotty's terrible taste in women made him a prime target for her type, so that rang true to me too.

Yeah, I love that they never went there at all.  No hinting that Lilly not wanting Christina to date him was because she wanted him for herself (an impressive show of restraint given the background about Christina and the ex-fiancé), no putting them undercover as a couple, no near kiss while drunkenly commiserating their pathetic love lives, nothing.

Exactly. I loved their friendship as it was and it's honestly shocking that the show didn't try it, but it's refreshing.

I just rewatched Justice. It's hard to watch "Kevin Pearson" as the serial rapist, but I'm also curious how the case went unsolved for 25 years.

I mean, we learn very early on in the episode that he wasn't a good guy, but it doesn't seem like that fact was known at the time of the murder. And class valedictorian, big man on campus getting shot to death on campus seems like it would warrant a pretty big response from law enforcement.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I just rewatched Justice. It's hard to watch "Kevin Pearson" as the serial rapist, but I'm also curious how the case went unsolved for 25 years.

It makes sense it went cold even though he was a popular white guy:  There were no witnesses, the kid didn't confess to anyone, even his sister, and the rapes weren't acknowledged, so there was no known motive to send cops in the right direction. 

That one cop who actually believed Tessa certainly wasn't going to bring that up once he got killed, since she'd given her the gun.  (I don't think she'd have told even if she wasn't involved; if she suspected Tessa did it, she'd have thought good for you, since we couldn't do shit to help you and carry on.)  The father of the victim who committed suicide was too wrapped up in grief and guilt to even think to tell the cops this supposed golden boy raped my daughter, so maybe he tried that again and got shot.  And the roommate of another victim thought duh, silly, it wasn't rape, he doesn't have to rape anyone and also thought her roommate ultimately believed yeah, you're right, so when he turned up murdered, she wouldn't have thought that could have anything to do with it.

I hate 99% of episodes where cops let a sympathetic perp get away with vigilantism, but my one percent where I'll go along with it in fiction is when it's a victim taking out her rapist, so this was a nice little twist on that.

• Love 2

Rampage-I skipped this one because it was about a mass shooting. I just really can't do those episodes right now since there always seems to be one these days and the real survivors just break my heart. I do remember it was a good episode and they did a good job showing how the survivors were years later. The guy who was so nervously in the interrogation room. On the 20th anniversary of the Columbine massacre one of the survivors committed suicide and around that time one of the Sandy Hook parents' committed suicide.  

The War at Home- I liked that they showed a woman veteran. It was a good episode. I remember my dad telling me the same thing about not stopping for anything. Because it was always a bomb or trap. The reason Dana stopped the jeep is so sad. A little girl that reminded her of her daughter. Of course it was an attack. That's so horrible. I'm glad she and her husband talked before her death. I feel bad for her daughter too. Feeling weirded out by her mother's arm and feeling guilty about it. She was just a kid.

Sandhogs-Another good episode I'm glad Alice found out why John broke up with her. I still felt bad for her. She lost two men she loved in such a short amount of time. I like how the murderer's murder backfired by turning John into a martyr. It also would have been nice if he at some point realized his dad wasn't worth the effort.

Baby Blues-So the mom killed her baby during a post partum depression and let her husband blame himself for the death. I wonder if she knew her son also blamed himself for the death. I feel bad for her son. He and the baby seemed like the only sane ones in the house at the time. His mother was clearly off and needed help, the babysitter was busy sleeping with her boyfriend and the nanny was off the rails Christian due to her own baby's death. He spent all this time thinking it was his fault and that his father though he killed his the baby. Poor guy.

Saving Sammy- Another good episode I liked Scotty learning how to talk to Brent over the episode. I'm glad he and his sister ended up together at the end. Poor Ruby thinking it was her fault her parents' were killed. That crappy administrator extorting money from his students' parents. What an asshole.

Static-An okay episode. I didn't really care like why he was murdered or care the radio stuff. I liked that he wouldn't be bribed and the scene with him and his daughter.

The Key-I feel really bad for all the kids in the episodes. All their parents' were so messed up and wrapped up in their own problems for them. Libby's husband only cared about her affairs not his. Hey, you were the one who took her to the party and got mad at her when she wanted to leave. 

Fireflies-my recording messed up on this episode I'll have to wait for it to come around to watch it.

Lonely Hearts-Well, it's nice that Martha started to feel bad about the murders but it was her idea in the first place. Ramon was horrible for what he was doing to the women but it wasn't killing them until she suggested it. Scotty was oddly cold in this episode with all his comments about women's looks and stuff.

Forever Blue-Poor Sean murdered by his own fellow cops because he was gay. I can't say him surprised but that was horrible. Poor Eileen looking out her window to see her husband kissing his partner.l

The Red and the Blue-It was an okay episode. The guys should have thrown out the drug addict member. I like the scene between Truck and his wife. 

Knuckle Up- I like James finally calling out his father for all the pressure he put on him and calling him so much every day. Seriously, that was messed up. Calling your high school age son 20 times a day? Tanner was a jerk especially with no guts after they killed that guy I do like at the end when his father tells him if he goes down he's on his own and Tanner telling him he was coming with him. How messed up is it that a grown man killed James to keep him from telling the cops his son killed someone? I can't say I'm surprised there was a Homicide Hunter episode where a dad got his son to shoot his two friends and helped out when one them wasn't dead because he refused to believe his son stole their teacher's car. That's right stole a teacher's car. They were caught coming back from campus and weren't even going to jail or anything the teacher and police just wanted them to admit what they did.

Blackout-I'm glad they showed a woman being a molester. Women abuse kids too. This one really was a piece of work accusing her ex-husband of being a pedophile while she was the one who abused their son and was grooming her grandson until her daughter drowned her.

8:03-The teacher was a bitch to Skill. Mocking him for his attempt to read and writing him off as a no good. I really wish one of the cops told her off for that. He came back to school and he was trying you bitch. Madison's mother was terrible too. Getting high and treating her daughter like crap, She also let the cops think Madison was on drugs instead of her. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Lonely Hearts-Well, it's nice that Martha started to feel bad about the murders but it was her idea in the first place. Ramon was horrible for what he was doing to the women but it wasn't killing them until she suggested it. Scotty was oddly cold in this episode with all his comments about women's looks and stuff.

The whole team was obnoxious in this one, acting as if anyone who's overweight or less conventionally attractive should just drown themselves at birth because their lives couldn't possibly be happy.

Another episode where the team gets on my nerves is The Road (girl kidnapped from her engagement party by a serial killer). Lily saying that Brenda wasn't "weak like those other women" as if the women who died after being held captive for months to years were weak for dying. And her judgment of Brenda, who she didn't know, was based on photographs and a 2 minute video, but hey, she was attractive so I guess that gave her more reason to live? 

Blackout-I'm glad they showed a woman being a molester. Women abuse kids too. This one really was a piece of work accusing her ex-husband of being a pedophile while she was the one who abused their son and was grooming her grandson until her daughter drowned her.

The family in this one was hideous, but I still can't help being envious of that indoor pool, lol. Especially at night, in the snow with all those candles, the pool looks so inviting. Well, except for the attempted molestation and murder...

• Love 3

Saving Sammy- Another good episode I liked Scotty learning how to talk to Brent over the episode. I'm glad he and his sister ended up together at the end.

I fear they are not going to qualify for enough assistance for that to remain feasible, given how low-paying any jobs Ruby qualifies for are going to be.

10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Scotty was oddly cold in this episode with all his comments about women's looks and stuff.

This show absolutely despises overweight women; other than the victims in "The Promise", they are all presented as losers who do pathetic things because of their weight.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

The whole team was obnoxious in this one, acting as if anyone who's overweight or less conventionally attractive should just drown themselves at birth because their lives couldn't possibly be happy.

Another episode where the team gets on my nerves is The Road (girl kidnapped from her engagement party by a serial killer). Lily saying that Brenda wasn't "weak like those other women" as if the women who died after being held captive for months to years were weak for dying. And her judgment of Brenda, who she didn't know, was based on photographs and a 2 minute video, but hey, she was attractive so I guess that gave her more reason to live? 

The family in this one was hideous, but I still can't help being envious of that indoor pool, lol. Especially at night, in the snow with all those candles, the pool looks so inviting. Well, except for the attempted molestation and murder...

Hm, I hadn't thought of that aspect from The Road. It's probably one of my favorite episodes of the series, but you make a really good point there. I mean, I doubt I would have survived that long. But I don't think that makes me weak.

And if I remember right, she was on the verge of dying herself when she was rescued. So if it had taken a day longer and she was dead, would she have been weak?

It's been a long time since I've seen the episode and I don't remember the context of the remark, though. Did Lily say that to the other cops privately, or was she trying to get a rise out of the evil dude during an interrogation?

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

It's been a long time since I've seen the episode and I don't remember the context of the remark, though. Did Lily say that to the other cops privately, or was she trying to get a rise out of the evil dude during an interrogation?

The latter, as he's trying to get a rise out of her (so she'll shoot him; he can't spend his life in a cell the way his victims did); it's the part of them trying to get him to reveal where he put her when they're out of the car.  The killer says Brenda was weak, like Lilly, and Lilly says no, Brenda isn't like that woman in the well, she's strong, so she's alive.  He says she needs to believe that, but she's wrong -- she broke in that dark, lonely place, like one day Lilly will, because you can't tread water forever, eventually she'll get tired, just like Brenda.  That's when Lilly recognizes the song Brenda was humming as being the one a certain church plays.

So it's possible Lilly thinks the woman in the well was weak, but I don't think she actually believes that (I'd hope not, on general principle, and because she's not stupid enough to think it's as easy to hold on treading water as it is sitting in a dark room), I think it was a case of latching onto what he said and refuting it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Also, I frakkin' hate episodes like that, where a killer drones on endlessly - in an interrogation room or, worse, as the cops drive him somewhere -  with his psychobabble analysis of the human condition and why he does what he does in order to study and test it, which of course always leads him to him spouting off his psychoanalysis of the female detective, and how she's either like him or his victims. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Rampage-I skipped this one because it was about a mass shooting. I just really can't do those episodes right now since there always seems to be one these days and the real survivors just break my heart. I do remember it was a good episode and they did a good job showing how the survivors were years later. The guy who was so nervously in the interrogation room. On the 20th anniversary of the Columbine massacre one of the survivors committed suicide and around that time one of the Sandy Hook parents' committed suicide.  

The War at Home- I liked that they showed a woman veteran. It was a good episode. I remember my dad telling me the same thing about not stopping for anything. Because it was always a bomb or trap. The reason Dana stopped the jeep is so sad. A little girl that reminded her of her daughter. Of course it was an attack. That's so horrible. I'm glad she and her husband talked before her death. I feel bad for her daughter too. Feeling weirded out by her mother's arm and feeling guilty about it. She was just a kid.

Sandhogs-Another good episode I'm glad Alice found out why John broke up with her. I still felt bad for her. She lost two men she loved in such a short amount of time. I like how the murderer's murder backfired by turning John into a martyr. It also would have been nice if he at some point realized his dad wasn't worth the effort.

Baby Blues-So the mom killed her baby during a post partum depression and let her husband blame himself for the death. I wonder if she knew her son also blamed himself for the death. I feel bad for her son. He and the baby seemed like the only sane ones in the house at the time. His mother was clearly off and needed help, the babysitter was busy sleeping with her boyfriend and the nanny was off the rails Christian due to her own baby's death. He spent all this time thinking it was his fault and that his father though he killed his the baby. Poor guy.

Saving Sammy- Another good episode I liked Scotty learning how to talk to Brent over the episode. I'm glad he and his sister ended up together at the end. Poor Ruby thinking it was her fault her parents' were killed. That crappy administrator extorting money from his students' parents. What an asshole.

Static-An okay episode. I didn't really care like why he was murdered or care the radio stuff. I liked that he wouldn't be bribed and the scene with him and his daughter.

The Key-I feel really bad for all the kids in the episodes. All their parents' were so messed up and wrapped up in their own problems for them. Libby's husband only cared about her affairs not his. Hey, you were the one who took her to the party and got mad at her when she wanted to leave. 

Fireflies-my recording messed up on this episode I'll have to wait for it to come around to watch it.

Forever Blue-Poor Sean murdered by his own fellow cops because he was gay. I can't say him surprised but that was horrible. Poor Eileen looking out her window to see her husband kissing his partner.l

The Red and the Blue-It was an okay episode. The guys should have thrown out the drug addict member. I like the scene between Truck and his wife. 

Knuckle Up- I like James finally calling out his father for all the pressure he put on him and calling him so much every day. Seriously, that was messed up. Calling your high school age son 20 times a day? Tanner was a jerk especially with no guts after they killed that guy I do like at the end when his father tells him if he goes down he's on his own and Tanner telling him he was coming with him. How messed up is it that a grown man killed James to keep him from telling the cops his son killed someone? I can't say I'm surprised there was a Homicide Hunter episode where a dad got his son to shoot his two friends and helped out when one them wasn't dead because he refused to believe his son stole their teacher's car. That's right stole a teacher's car. They were caught coming back from campus and weren't even going to jail or anything the teacher and police just wanted them to admit what they did.

8:03-The teacher was a bitch to Skill. Mocking him for his attempt to read and writing him off as a no good. I really wish one of the cops told her off for that. He came back to school and he was trying you bitch. Madison's mother was terrible too. Getting high and treating her daughter like crap, She also let the cops think Madison was on drugs instead of her. 

8:03 and Forever Blue are tearjerkers. When you saw Donna Mills in the cast for Blackout you knew she was evil this is one of the episodes with a sympathetic killer.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

When you saw Donna Mills in the cast for Blackout you knew she was evil

Poor Donna Mills; she did so very many TV movies playing sympathetic characters during hiatus from Knots Landing to not be typecast as a villain, but I always first and foremost thought of her as Abby.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Also, I frakkin' hate episodes like that, where a killer drones on endlessly - in an interrogation room or, worse, as the cops drive him somewhere -  with his psychobabble analysis of the human condition and why he does what he does in order to study and test it,

I feel like Se7en started that, or at least pushed it to the point where every cop show/movie started doing their own version. For better or worse, it's certainly a trope of the genre now.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

The latter, as he's trying to get a rise out of her (so she'll shoot him; he can't spend his life in a cell the way his victims did); it's the part of them trying to get him to reveal where he put her when they're out of the car.  The killer says Brenda was weak, like Lilly, and Lilly says no, Brenda isn't like that woman in the well, she's strong, so she's alive.  He says she needs to believe that, but she's wrong -- she broke in that dark, lonely place, like one day Lilly will, because you can't tread water forever, eventually she'll get tired, just like Brenda.  That's when Lilly recognizes the song Brenda was humming as being the one a certain church plays.

So it's possible Lilly thinks the woman in the well was weak, but I don't think she actually believes that (I'd hope not, on general principle, and because she's not stupid enough to think it's as easy to hold on treading water as it is sitting in a dark room), I think it was a case of latching onto what he said and refuting it.

Yeah, I agree with all that (and Lily figuring out where Brenda is because of the church bells is a great moment), but in general, I found this episode and some of her remarks to be part of the theme where the team decides how a victim must have lived based on photographs and stereotypes.

And it might be personal because I loathe the Brenda character, her showy personality was annoying to me. The opening scene plus the video made me roll my eyes so hard, so Lily and co giving her more credit for strength than the other women irked me. 

The other annoying part was the fact that they linked up the women's cases by saying "they all had something to live for: one had God, the other had a baby, Brenda had her fiancé." What the hell does that even mean? Lots of people have kids, or faith, or significant others. It just seemed silly to single that out.

• Love 2
On 9/26/2022 at 11:56 PM, Bastet said:

Poor Donna Mills; she did so very many TV movies playing sympathetic characters during hiatus from Knots Landing to not be typecast as a villain, but I always first and foremost thought of her as Abby.

That's where I still remember her from too.

• Like 1

Blood on the Tracks-Wow, everyone but Jack was terrible but wow Johanna really takes the cake by killing her husband and friend and taking over the friend's identity. Using another friend to do it. I was very surprised by that. 

The Goodbye Room-Poor Hillary, shipped off to give birth and give up her baby by her father and abandoned by her boyfriend. It stinks that Karen killed her. It's nice that Hillary's daughter gets to meet her grandmother and father. What a horrible place. Sister Margaret was a bitch for selling the babies while acting like she was doing the Lord's work. Yeah, right.

Shuffle Ball Change-Grant was faking his injury the whole time? I get wanting get out from under his father but he also has to be jealous of his brother? Why? I guess because Maurice was allowed to have his own dreams? Too bad his father never got to speak to him after his 
performance. At least he saw it and changed his mind. He really was a crappy father though. 

A Dollar A Dream-Poor Marlene she finally gets happy moment by winning 25 dollars and gets killed. Natalie was a brat. I get it's hard for her to have lost everything but it was hard
for all of them. Her mother was trying so hard and trying to make it happy for her daughters especially Abby. I'm glad they finally talked. Then ends up thinking her mother abandoned her? 
I realize they didn't know what happened to their mother. But after everything her mother had already gone through why would she abandoned them at that point? I'm glad Scotty and Vera 
knocked that one asshole off his chair for making Marlene have sex with him to get her car back. Asshole. I'm glad her boss turned out to be a nice guy.

Offender, Stand Up and Holler and Torn were skipped on the channel.

Cargo-I like Mike trying to save Lena but feel bad for all the other girls who weren't saved. I did like that he promised Kateryna that he would try to get her too. He probably would have.
I'm glad Lena learned that Mike did come for her.

The Good Death-Okay episode Jay was a jerk for a long time it's nice that he finally stopped for his wife and son in the end. I liked that he paid off the hospital bill for the woman's daughter.
But he didn't have to be such a jerk especially when the woman's daughter was dying of cancer.  

Stalker-Wow, poor Kim. She wakes up to find out her entire family was murdered and doesn't remember. Then finds out her nice nurse was the one who killed them for her and was insane.
Her mother sucked. She used her daughter's picture to pass herself off as online and when confronted all she can say is she's no longer beautiful? That's messed up. Poor Lilly gets 
shot.

Thrill Kill was also skipped by the channel.

That Woman-I didn't like the episode. The victim was stoned by other good "religious" teens. 

Running Around-Poor Rachel. I'm glad she ended up married and happy. Poor Anna murdered by her own messed up brother. I do feel bad for Jakob who wanted to go home but was 
banned. 

Devil's Music-I didn't really like the episode. It did show how much the 50s sucked for women and black people.

Thick As Thieves-Wow, poor Spencer he was really messed up by his mother. Raised completely just to con people. What a crappy life. Too bad he wasn't able to enjoy life after he took out his mother. 

Wunderkind-Poor guy everyone around him was terrible and using him. Terrence killed his own brother for the gang and jealousy because their father wanted to use his brother. 

Worlds End-My brother has always been fasinated by the War of the Worlds program and trying to understand how so many people believed it was a real alien invasion. Too bad Audrey didn't get a chance to ditch her crappy husband. Maybe if he got a damn job and wasn't an ass
she wouldn't have fallen out of love with him. The depression was tough but he wasn't dealing with it or trying to make sure they had food. It was weird though seeing them arrest John Walton.

It Takes a Village-This was a sad one. All those poor boys murdered. The murderer was sympathetic. What was done to him was horrible. But I can't believe he turned
around and did the same thing to other boys. I feel bad for the families. 

Boy Crazy-One of those episodes where it shows how hard it was to be different. All Sam wanted to do was wear boy clothes, be called Sam and do boy activities. There was nothing wrong with it. But of course because of the times she was treated like crap by everyone. She gets blamed when she gets attacked by the boys. Janey was a bitch I liked that older Janey admitted it and changed becoming a better person and running a woman's study. Poor Sam and all the girls being sent to that horrible place. I like that she stood up for them and herself.
Not that it did any good since she ended up getting electric shocked.  

Justice-A hard but sadly very realistic episode with how all the girls were treated by friends, family and the police regarding their rapes. I'm glad they let the murderer off. Mike deserved it. While he was killed for a difference reason. What other choice was there? He was going to continue to rape women and get away with it. The poor girl who hung herself after her father was horrible. I don't know how he could have blamed her. She was his daughter. He knew her.

Family 8108-Ray was really good looking. So was his wife. I'm glad they did this episode. It's important that stories are being told about what happened to the Japanese-Americans
during World War II. They were all rounded up and put into internment camps. They were citizens who did nothing wrong. Poor Ray tries to make the best of it and ends up losing it.
I can't blame him or his family. I can't imagine what that would be like.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Stalker-Wow, poor Kim. She wakes up to find out her entire family was murdered and doesn't remember. Then finds out her nice nurse was the one who killed them for her and was insane.

I remember watching that one for the first time, because I got psycho vibes off that guy from his first scene, so there was absolutely no surprise in that reveal for me.

11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I don't know how he could have blamed her. She was his daughter. He knew her.

It happens all the time.  Like you said, that is a sadly realistic episode.

I'd never support real cops doing what this squad did, but it's one of the rare times where I'm good with a fictional story of looking the other way on a vigilante homicide.  Adult Tess begging her brother to say what he needs to say, because she can't lose him, too, is very well acted.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

I remember watching that one for the first time, because I got psycho vibes off that guy from his first scene, so there was absolutely no surprise.

Good job! I forgot about him halfway through the episode.

It happens all the time.  Like you said, that is a sadly realistic episode.

I'd never support real cops doing what this squad did, but it's one of the rare times where I'm good with a fictional story of looking the other way on a vigilante homicide.  Adult Tess begging her brother to say what he needs to say, because she can't lose him, too, is very well acted.

I agree. That's one of the few times I'm happy that the cops looked the other way too. He was never going to stop and no one else was going to stop him.  

On 10/12/2022 at 6:19 AM, andromeda331 said:

Blood on the Tracks-Wow, everyone but Jack was terrible but wow Johanna really takes the cake by killing her husband and friend and taking over the friend's identity. Using another friend to do it. I was very surprised by that. 

Yet another Jamie Bamber character bites the dust.

When you rewatch the episode, there's a lot of little hints that get dropped from the very beginning--Jack, Johanna's own husband, mistakes Sarah for her, thus emphasizing from the very beginning their strong resemblance , Johanna's present in everyone of "Sarah's" flashbacks, etc.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Jack, Johanna's own husband, mistakes Sarah for her

Yeah, that's another one where I was not surprised by the reveal, because something like that is never included without a reason.

• Love 1
On 10/13/2022 at 3:05 PM, Bastet said:

Yeah, that's another one where I was not surprised by the reveal, because something like that is never included without a reason.

I was. It's one of those Rewatch Bonus type episodes for me, because indeed, seeing it reruns a million times, the numerous hints dropped are astounding.

• Love 1

It's sort of the dialogue version of Roger Ebert's Law of Economy of Characters. There are no unnecessary characters, and so if someone seems unnecessary, they will be revealed eventually to be important. Now, in that case, he tied it to movie budgets; films can't afford to spend money on unnecessary characters. But for a broadcast TV show, it can be tied to airtime; shows have to clock in at a certain length and so cannot waste time on useless bits.

• Love 2

Where are you guys watching these episodes?

I'm hooked on the four- or five-hour binges that TNT is showing on Tuesdays and Thursdays, currently Season 6.  It's really messing up my life schedule.  Not to mention, how draining it is to feel weepy every 60 minutes.  I need some co-viewers.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, candall said:

Where are you guys watching these episodes?

I'm hooked on the four- or five-hour binges that TNT is showing on Tuesdays and Thursdays, currently Season 6.  It's really messing up my life schedule.  Not to mention, how draining it is to feel weepy every 60 minutes.  I need some co-viewers.

That's where I'm watching them. I've been DVRing all of the episodes and a little behind. Other stuff keeps getting in the way. The last one I watched was the Japanese internment camp. 

Ah!  Got it.  Same same.  I got stressed when my backlog of Cold Cases was creeping into double digits.  Drew a line, started fresh. 

It's such a good, juicy, solid show, I'm surprised it doesn't get 1/10th the airplay of L&O.  "Witness Protection" had me digging for R.E.M. lyrics today.  :  )

The battle's been lost, the war is not won
An addled republic, a bitter refund
The business first flat earthers licking their wounds
The verdict is dire, the country's in ruins

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, candall said:

It's such a good, juicy, solid show, I'm surprised it doesn't get 1/10th the airplay of L&O. 

Maybe because of all the music used? Just a theory. Don't forget, none of the L&O shows tended to use a ton of popular music, just the occasional opening scenes...

Sabotage-A very good episode. The murderer was a sympathetic. Losing his daughter because they couldn't afford better care. That stinks. Sadly realistic. Obviously he shouldn't have become a bomber. But I feel for him losing everything. I like  the mystery of the wrong person being bombed and trying to figure out who the intended target was and why.

Spiders-I didn't really like the episode. Tamyra should have bolted when she realized they were Nazis. That was never going to end well. Her shock at them killing the woman. Really? After all that hate you heard them spew you didn't think it was esculate to murder. I'm glad she tried to leave but she should have left a lot sooner. I do like who they picked for the murderer. While there's no shortage of outspoken neo-Nazis it's rare to see the ones who come off nice and normal but are just the same shown on TV. 

Andy in C Minor-I'm always happy when shows do a deaf episode although it would be nice if it was more then one or have regular or reocurring deaf or hearing impaired actors and actresses. I forgot about the huge controversy over cochlear implants at the time. Yeah, it was really big. I get both sides. The fear from his parents' that he would cut him off. That's really sad. My cousin was deaf and he wasn't a candidate. We loved him whether he could hear or not. He was really wonderful person. Very funny and kind. He loved kids and was a really talented artist. My elementary school best friend was hearing impaired. She could hear out of one ear but not the other. She used a hearing aid but also read lips and signed. She moved away and we lost touch. I don't know if she got the implant or not. She was a really cool person. I remember on GL when Abby got the implant and she was one of my favorite characters. I liked that Andy's dad changed his mind. I felt bad for his wife not knowing until he told Lilly. Andy's reaction when he could hear was wonderful. Too bad he was killed by his best friend.

The Road-Wow, a really good episode. Everyone did a great job. From Kat watching the videos , searching for the bodies, to Lilly and Scotty talking to the murderer. What a complete psycho. I'm glad he didn't really have an excuse or reason for what he did. He was just a psycho. I disagree with him breaking all the women. I'm not so sure he did. To him it probably looked like it but since he has no understand of emotions or anything. One woman "gave up" after he told her he'd do the same thing to her daughter. That fear was probably stayed with her to the end. I don't think the religious woman gave up either. Maybe she said what she to John about no God or how God could let this happen to her. I don't think she ever would have broke. She was probably waiting for God to come for her. I don't think Lilly was agreeing with him. She was trying to get him to talk and knew that he was trying to get under her skin so she or Scotty would kill him. Enjoy prison you wackjob. Locked up in a cell just like he locked up his victims. I'm glad that someone survived. I like that the fiancee didn't move on. It's common for family and friends to tell him to move on but he really doesn't have to. For somepeople there really is just one person.

Bad Reputation-I like that the victim didn't want his son to be involved in the crime and told the stepfather that he wanted him to raise him right. That was a really great scene. He really did try to turn his life around. Too bad the cop didn't care.

Slipping-Wow, Daniel was a horrible piece of crap. So jealous of his wife's writing that he tries to drive her crazy. Poor Nancy trying to figure out what was going on. No one would believe her. Then going to the aslyum and finding out that her mother had been there. Her poor daughter Rachel living in fear she'd go mad one day like her mother and grandmother had. Daniel is horrible.

Ghost of My Child-Maggie from the Nanny! She did a good job. She tried so hard to raise her baby. I do like that she almost fell off the wagon but changed her mind. Of course that ends up being the night of the fire. Max and Lois were really stupid. Lois complains about the abusive parents' she saw. Hey, maybe take one of their babies? Instead of one that she knew was being well taken care off. The reunion being Priscilla and herson was really good. Lilly was hard on her but it made sense given her own history.

The channel skipped Glory Days, Tru Calling, Shore Leave, and The Dealer.

Wednesday's Women - A hard but good episode. The women went down south with good intentions but underestimate how horrible things are. Well, Miriam's friends were probably more used to it. They couldn't get any help in Philly either for the same thing. Sadly realistic. 

Roller Girls-I didn't really care for the episode. It was okay.

One Small Step-It was an okay episode. I liked Danny. He was cool for building rockets and for punching the older boy. That was awesome. I hated him being killed by Chuck who was jealous of him for taking his friends and being scared. I know he's a kid but that was crappy. The two friends knew it too. One went insane over it. And Bobby or Chuck still say nothing. I'm more annoyed with the follower. Really? After all those years he's still a follower. Why? What has his friend ever done? Except kill one friend and let another go crazy.

Triple Threat-I liked this episode. I was a kid in the 80s and people were defecting all the time. It was really common especially after a sporting or concert in the US for one or a few to defect. I liked Nadia especially when she found her voice and really liked pop music. That was really great. I wish she got to experience more of life. Phoebe was an idiot. Elliot's always going to find another muse. It was nice that this was Nick's first case. I like his interactions with the family.

Pin Up Girl-It was an okay episode. I liked Rita helping the vet with cope with the war. The way he snapped when she took the picture was pretty realistic to PTSD. Something little or big can set that off. It was like that with my dad before they came out with PTSD. 

Street Money-I liked Dexter. It was nice to have a candidate refusing bribes or use blackmail. I really wish we had more of those in real life.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Bad Reputation-I like that the victim didn't want his son to be involved in the crime and told the stepfather that he wanted him to raise him right. That was a really great scene. He really did try to turn his life around. Too bad the cop didn't care.

Gordon Clapp is so talented, he's always so infuriatingly believable as a bad guy.  I hate his character in this episode every bit as much as I hated his character in Matewan.  He's just that good at being evil.

34 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

It was nice that this was Nick's first case. I like his interactions with the family.

The casting of young Nick in "Triple Threat" is probably the best matching of then to now in the entire series.

• Love 1
On 10/27/2022 at 6:30 PM, andromeda331 said:

Triple Threat-I liked this episode. I was a kid in the 80s and people were defecting all the time.

This show was excellent at addressing/depicting the social issues of whatever era the murder in question took place in.

• Love 4
On 10/12/2022 at 9:20 PM, kathyk24 said:

Glory Days was a really good episode. College football in the 1970's sounded so much like college football today. Steroids and boosters are relevant issues today.

There was a 1953 John Wayne movie Trouble Along the Way were the professionalization of the college football industry plays as modern day, except for the uniforms and helmet types.

Aw, leukemia, that sucks. I did a rewatch recently too, and I actually didn’t dislike her character as much as I did the first time. Bingeing made it go by quickly and it really wasn’t as distracting as it seemed the first time around. 

• Love 2

I saw that news too, but I had forgotten the name of the actress who played Christine and the article I read only referenced Supernatural, so I had no idea. That's sad.

I didn't mind the character on first watch. I even kind of liked that she and Scotty dated, because it closed the door on what I felt would have been an entirely unnecessary romance between him and Lily.

• Like 2

Wings- I missed the first half because a game went into over time. I really liked Ally and felt bad for the women. Even when they get their dream job they still have to put up with age limit and assault. That really sucks. Gloria was stupid for not seeing Roland for what he was.

Lotto Fever- Wow Ed's family was sure ungrateful both were terrible leeches. His sister still doesn't see anything they did wrong. It was nice of Ed to try and help people. I wish one of them wasn't his father. At least he felt bad that he didn't use the time to spend with his son. Of course his account was robbing him blind.

Breaking News-Poor Jane she finally got her big story and her boss and mentor kills her

The Brush Man- I liked Roy a lot for standing up to men who abused their families. That was really great of him. I really like how much this show shows different ways those who fought in Vietnam came back messed up. Including Norm.

Witness Protection-It was an okay episode. I felt bad for Ben who's family was mad at him for forcing him into Witness Protection but also for his family. Given up everything would be really hard.

Jackals-Sarah was dumb to get involved with a dangerous biker gang. Darren was horrible for just walking away to be murdered.

Office Down-Will was shot! That was horrible. I'm glad he was okay. Pops was a really great guy too trying hard to help change the lives of the kids around him. I liked learning more about Will's past.  

Mind Games-Jack was an asshole not surprising and a terrible doctor. I like that Julie diagnosed him so well. How horrible to use Pete's mental illness to murder her.

Libertyville-This was a great episode. Julian passing for white and worried the birth of his baby would out his secret. I really can't blame him for the choices he made or for his family and friends who were mad at him for making that choice. I like how well his widow took the news and she and their daughter went to meet his family.

Stealing Home-Gonzalo and the rest went through so much to get to America. I'm glad he made it but I feel bad that the rest didn't.

November 22-I really like Patrick for bonding with and deciding to raise Hillary even though she wasn't his blood. That was really great of him.

The Long Blue and Into the Blue-Poor Kate. She went through hell for just wanting to go to
the same military school her father went too. Even her father wasn't happy she joined. The murderer wasn't a surprise. The headmaster running Lilly off the road was though. I can't believe he got away with it all. I hate Lilly's dad. Yeah, he had a drinking problem but he left his kids with an unstable woman with a drinking problem.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2

Office Down-Will was shot! That was horrible. I'm glad he was okay. Pops was a really great guy too trying hard to help change the lives of the kids around him. I liked learning more about Will's past.  

My hands-down favorite of the stretch of episodes you posted (I don't dislike the others, but it's not a high point in the series).  I love Nick answering Stillman's "What happened?" question with "I drank all the damn milk".  I also like seeing everyone get the call, especially Kat bundling Veronica into her jacket before she's even fully awake, saying, "Come on, we're going to Grandma's, I gotta go to work" -- it plays very naturally.  And that's just the opening.  I like the back and forth in time throughout, as we learn the background.  So many lives ruined in this one, with opportunities along the way where if one person had chosen differently, none of it would have happened.  That's the theme of the series - and of crime - and it's well done here.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

My hands-down favorite of the stretch of episodes you posted (I don't dislike the others, but it's not a high point in the series).  I love Nick answering Stillman's "What happened?" question with "I drank all the damn milk".  I also like seeing everyone get the call, especially Kat bundling Veronica into her jacket before she's even fully awake, saying, "Come on, we're going to Grandma's, I gotta go to work" -- it plays very naturally.  And that's just the opening.  I like the back and forth in time throughout, as we learn the background.  So many lives ruined in this one, with opportunities along the way where if one person had chosen differently, none of it would have happened.  That's the theme of the series - and of crime - and it's well done here.

I agree. It was so well done.

22 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Wings- I missed the first half because a game went into over time. I really liked Ally and felt bad for the women. Even when they get their dream job they still have to put up with age limit and assault. That really sucks. Gloria was stupid for not seeing Roland for what he was.

Lotto Fever- Wow Ed's family was sure ungrateful both were terrible leeches. His sister still doesn't see anything they did wrong. It was nice of Ed to try and help people. I wish one of them wasn't his father. At least he felt bad that he didn't use the time to spend with his son. Of course his account was robbing him blind.

Breaking News-Poor Jane she finally got her big story and her boss and mentor kills her

The Brush Man- I liked Roy a lot for standing up to men who abused their families. That was really great of him. I really like how much this show shows different ways those who fought in Vietnam came back messed up. Including Norm.

Witness Protection-It was an okay episode. I felt bad for Ben who's family was mad at him for forcing him into Witness Protection but also for his family. Given up everything would be really hard.

Jackals-Sarah was dumb to get involved with a dangerous biker gang. Darren was horrible for just walking away to be murdered.

Mind Games-Jack was an asshole not surprising and a terrible doctor. I like that Julie diagnosed him so well. How horrible to use Pete's mental illness to murder her.

Libertyville-This was a great episode. Julian passing for white and worried the birth of his baby would out his secret. I really can't blame him for the choices he made or for his family and friends who were mad at him for making that choice. I like how well his widow took the news and she and their daughter went to meet his family.

Stealing Home-Gonzalo and the rest went through so much to get to America. I'm glad he made it but I feel bad that the rest didn't.

November 22-I really like Patrick for bonding with and deciding to raise Hillary even though she wasn't his blood. That was really great of him.

The Long Blue and Into the Blue-Poor Kate. She went through hell for just wanting to go to
the same military school her father went too. Even her father wasn't happy she joined. The murderer wasn't a surprise. The headmaster running Lilly off the road was though. I can't believe he got away with it all. I hate Lilly's dad. Yeah, he had a drinking problem but he left his kids with an unstable woman with a drinking problem.

I can't stand Lilly's dad. You have a nice home but you let her live in poverty? Lilly is expected to bond with her stepfamily when you ignored her for years. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I can't stand Lilly's dad. You have a nice home but you let her live in poverty? Lilly is expected to bond with her stepfamily when you ignored her for years. 

Yeah, he could have brought Lilly into his home but nope. But he expects her to be happy and bond that he went off and started another family that he treated better? I wish Lilly told him off.

• Love 1
On 11/21/2022 at 8:59 AM, jah1986 said:

I just finished a re-watch of the entire series and then saw this headline this morning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/supernatural-star-nicki-aycox-dies/ar-AA14kwuo?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6765107815d14c749b492b8a00de3eff

I never liked the character of Christine, and the entire final episode focused on her, but I was saddened to see this about the actress.

Aw, that's terrible. I was perhaps the lone person who actually liked her on the show, especially in those early seasons. She really embodied that younger sister who didn't bear the brunt of the parent's illness and I thought the actress was believable in her hope that Lily might be open to forgiving her. (This is all about the earlier episodes, I'm very sketchy on the last episodes, memory-wise.)

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I thought the actress was believable in her hope that Lily might be open to forgiving her.

Believably infuriating, yeah; that wide-eyed why are you mad at me? face of Christina's drove me batty.  It was the writing, not the acting, responsible for the fact I groaned aloud every time Aycox's name showed up in the guest credits and alerted me to the impending presence of Christina.  I'd have never made it through season eight if the show had gone on, with Lilly and got-away-with-murder Scotty taking care of dumbass Christina and her baby.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

Surprised no one has posted about this yet. The Boy in the Box has been identified. 

https://people.com/crime/philadelphias-boy-in-the-box-identified-after-65-years/

Danny Pino also tweeted about it.  

https://twitter.com/TheDannyPino/status/1601257654890164224?cxt=HHwWgMDTmc7W57gsAAAA

So far, they're not giving more information about what the circumstances are, but he has a name and his family has been identified and notified. 

• Useful 2
On 12/9/2022 at 12:15 PM, GiandujaPie said:

Surprised no one has posted about this yet. The Boy in the Box has been identified. 

https://people.com/crime/philadelphias-boy-in-the-box-identified-after-65-years/

Danny Pino also tweeted about it.  

https://twitter.com/TheDannyPino/status/1601257654890164224?cxt=HHwWgMDTmc7W57gsAAAA

So far, they're not giving more information about what the circumstances are, but he has a name and his family has been identified and notified. 

I feel like it had to have been the parents, right? If it had been an outsider, the parents would have been looking for the child. I assume it was a punishment that went too far and they covered it up by abandoning the body. 

65 years later, it's probably not possible to discover all the details, but I'd be very curious to know if he had siblings who are still alive and have some memory of that time.

On another note, has anyone watched the movie version of Dear Evan Hansen? Danny Pino plays the stepfather and he did an excellent job. And his Cold Case demeanor shows through in several scenes, like when he has to tell Evan that Connor committed suicide, it could easily have been a clip from a Cold Case interview scene.

• Love 1