Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Cold Case

The hair thing used to drive me crazy in regards to Lilly. Anytime I see her hair mentioned online I think of this old MADtv skit. There's a line or two about and then at the end is where it gets focused on so I timestamped it to start there. 

• Laugh 2

5 hours ago, Jaded said:

The hair thing used to drive me crazy in regards to Lilly. Anytime I see her hair mentioned online I think of this old MADtv skit. There's a line or two about and then at the end is where it gets focused on so I timestamped it to start there. 

Yeah, I saw it in the previous page of this thread. It's hilarious. But I never thought Lilly's hair in the first couple of seasons was that messy when clipped.

Scotty, back to being an ASS because he ASSUMED that the other detectives "ratted" him out to IAD. When, one, he wasn't very quiet about egging on about Burrell in the previous season. And OF COURSE, it was the ADA (who I don't like for a number of trope reasons and just her general attitude), and OF COURSE they had to have sex because Sexual Tension! cloaked under Hostility! Give me a break.

The one thing I hate about the streaming platform is the inability to fast forward what I want, and being able to stop when I want, without going too far.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Scotty, back to being an ASS because he ASSUMED that the other detectives "ratted" him out to IAD. When, one, he wasn't very quiet about egging on about Burrell in the previous season. And OF COURSE, it was the ADA (who I don't like for a number of trope reasons and just her general attitude), and OF COURSE they had to have sex because Sexual Tension! cloaked under Hostility! Give me a break.

I have only seen Cold Case episodes when they originally aired so I don't have a lot of clear memories of them but one scene I vividly remember was Scotty walking down the street with Lily's sister.  My first thought was ugh.

• Like 1

Watched more episodes this weekend. Cold Case got both a very young Jennifer Lawrence and Shalaine Woodley. And, oddly enough, if you watched the Hunger Games movies, the mom in Jennifer's episode was the same as her mom in The Hunger Games. 

• Like 2

I wonder if that was just a coincidence or if the Hunger Games casting people reviewed the Cold Case episode and thought she'd be a good fit to play Lawrence's mom once more. (I doubt it came specifically through a recommendation from Lawrence; she didn't have any pull yet.)

That episode is just so tragic. The mom so happy and excited to give the guy his share of the ticket and then he thinks she's cheating him. Sigh.

Someone mentioned this upthread, but it's really weird that they had Lawrence playing the sister she did instead of the other one who's played in the flashbacks by a little girl who looks just like Lawrence.

• Like 3

On 6/30/2021 at 11:21 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yeah, I saw it in the previous page of this thread. It's hilarious. But I never thought Lilly's hair in the first couple of seasons was that messy when clipped.

The one thing I hate about the streaming platform is the inability to fast forward what I want, and being able to stop when I want, without going too far.

I hated Scotty in that episode and it gave the audience a good idea of how angry he could get in season seven.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 1:48 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I hated the revisit to that serial killer George. I get he was a clerk in the department, but how did he get all that information on Lilly and the attack when she was 10? Or on Stillman's daughter? I hate shit like that.

I hated the return of George too, mostly because of that scenery-chewing actor and his painfully stilted dialogue. And maybe this is shallow, but his giant lips were distracting too, so many closeups while he monologued on and on and on.

But the DVDs market has tanked anyway, thanks to streaming, and it's very unlikely to rebound, so it's basically moot now.

Yeah, I don't see a return to widespread DVD watching at this point. It's like when CDs seemed amazing because you could skip around without having to FF or rewind and guess at the right spot, then DVDs seemed amazing after VHS tapes for similar reasons.

But streaming is a whole 'nother level because you can watch an episode of this and then switch to an entirely different show without even getting up and you have a whole universe of programming right on your TV or in your streaming device.

For me, even if they released the DVDs at this point, I'll still prefer streaming because I can jump from season to season without having to change anything. There were certain seasons of this show where you could hit upon a winner quickly and then some other seasons where I only like 1 in 5 of the episodes.

2 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

But streaming is a whole 'nother level because you can watch an episode of this and then switch to an entirely different show without even getting up and you have a whole universe of programming right on your TV or in your streaming device.

True. But the company providing any given show can also yank it at a moment's notice. Not to say I don't stream; I do. But I also understand just why some do not want to stop viewing DVDs. Because a viewer actually owns those, and they cannot be taken away. Hence why I also still buy DVDs for certain shows/movies as well as stream.

Positives and negatives to everything, I guess.

Still, with music rights being what they are, I also do not ever see this show coming to DVD.

• Like 7

The reason I still but DVDs is because of the special features—interviews with cast and crew and blooper/gag reels.

We don’t get that with streaming.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

But I also understand just why some do not want to stop viewing DVDs. Because a viewer actually owns those, and they cannot be taken away.

Exactly; if I think I'll re-watch something several times, I buy the DVD/Blu-Ray (if available), even if it's on streaming and/or syndication.  I can watch it anywhere, anytime, not just when a provider decides to make it available and only on my one TV that's hooked up for streaming.  And, while I generally only watch them once, like @GHScorpiosRule, I enjoy the special features.

• Like 4

On 7/8/2021 at 8:32 PM, WendyCR72 said:

True. But the company providing any given show can also yank it at a moment's notice. Not to say I don't stream; I do. But I also understand just why some do not want to stop viewing DVDs. Because a viewer actually owns those, and they cannot be taken away. Hence why I also still buy DVDs for certain shows/movies as well as stream.

Still, with music rights being what they are, I also do not ever see this show coming to DVD.

Also an issue with DVRs. I have a Fios DVR and had a whole bunch of episodes of CC and some other shows saved on it. When it died, I lost all the shows. In the past, they had transferred to the new DVR, but they changed it. And there was some comment on the website about how it's not intended for the purpose of saving episodes.

• Useful 2

Finally in the home stretch of the final season.

First, I'm glad that most of the episodes are back to cold cases from the 40s-80s. Especially the 40s-70s.

But UGH. Why Lilly was acting as if Moe Kitchener (PMI dude played by Daniel Baldwin) had been found not guilty, or that the case against him had been dismissed, just aggravated me to no end. With her stalking him, and even being told that it could cost her her badge, she kept on. It's not as if he was gaslighting or stalking her while he was out on bail.

And the resolution to all that was a big giant fizzle. Dad (Joe Penny! from Riptide!*) just walks in and says he killed him, and pfft. All done.

Then there's Scotty and his mother's rape story line. Too much time taking away from the main plot.

So Saccardo was....dirty? After being undercover for so long? Or were the money and drugs that Lilly found under his bed just part of his cover? And another fizzle ending to a relationship (which I really didn't care for) with his leaving her that diamond bracelet.

And just too much personal baggage of Lilly and Scotty.  With bringing in Lilly's dad, the show kept acting as if Lilly was an only child. Cooper doesn't ever ask about Christina. Unless he meets her in the series finale?

And the overt breaking rules and violating suspects'/perps' rights, willy nilly.

I really like the actor they have to play the youngish Stillman. I missed the episode where we learn that he was the detective Lilly met after she'd been beaten as a child. And years later he ends up her boss. He's like the BEST BOSS ever, and they are all lucky to have him as their squad commander. Stillman is my favorite character, along with Will Jeffries.

*We had Perry King in an earlier season "Black out", but I don't think Tom Bray, the nerdy one, ever guest starred?

• Like 3

On 7/8/2021 at 8:32 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Yes, I totally agree there. I had saved the whole series to my DVR, but the commercials were annoying, so I was so excited to see it come to Roku but didn't feel like I could delete them from the DVR because I knew they could be pulled any time.

But UGH. Why Lilly was acting as if Moe Kitchener (PMI dude played by Daniel Baldwin) had been found not guilty, or that the case against him had been dismissed, just aggravated me to no end. With her stalking him, and even being told that it could cost her her badge, she kept on. It's not as if he was gaslighting or stalking her while he was out on bail.

And the resolution to all that was a big giant fizzle. Dad (Joe Penny! from Riptide!*) just walks in and says he killed him, and pfft. All done.

The Moe storyline was one of my least favorite threads. Took over too many episodes and played way too fast and loose with the law. Regardless of what he did, going out and killing him with impunity isn't justice.

Also not a fan of the Lily's dad storyline. I always liked the backstory with her mom and am possibly the only person on earth who thought Christina was an interesting character, those 2 relationships explained a lot about why Lily was the way she was. But the stuff with her dad and his new family really didn't add any interesting layers to the character.

I really like the actor they have to play the youngish Stillman. I missed the episode where we learn that he was the detective Lilly met after she'd been beaten as a child. And years later he ends up her boss. He's like the BEST BOSS ever, and they are all lucky to have him as their squad commander. Stillman is my favorite character, along with Will Jeffries.

They nailed the young Stillman, there was also an episode with a young Vera that really nailed his mannerisms as well. 

Stillman and Jeffries were great as the old-timers with a lot of history about the department, but I liked all of the detectives (except for that awful mid-series attempt at adding a 2nd female, she sucked, but they quickly corrected and brought in Traci Thoms, who was much better). Vera is an ass a lot of the time, but he couldn't be more perfect in his role as a youngish Philly cop. The gruffness and attitude were spot on, plus the occasional glimpses into his past as king of his high school whose adult life was rockier than he'd expected, it all made sense to the character. 

Rewatched Strange Fruit, some of the details of this episode never make sense to me. Like Zeke meets Matilda when he chases the young daughter home after she steals his flag. It's 1963 and a young black man not only chases a little white girl through the streets, but bursts right into her house, not knowing who he'd encounter there? And then stands there in the living room making chess moves on their board? I know they had to get the story started, but that's so far-fetched as a starting point. 

• Like 2

What a fizzle of a letdown for the series finale. Bleagh.

What I thoroughly enjoyed about “Almost Paradise” was what seemed to be the real life pictures of Thom Barry and Jeremy Ratchford!🥰🥰🥰

But damn. I went to high school in the 80s and had very good teachers who weren’t pervs or skeevy assholes. A couple of them were in the young side. I guess I was very fortunate that I could joke with them and have them be my mentors as well.

I TOTALLY knew the farther wasn’t the serial killer in the two parter with Susannah Thompson.

It seems they knew the show wasn’t going to be renewed, since everything seemed to be tied up neatly. No loose ends or cliff hanger. So yay, I guess?

• Like 2

So I'm confused about the whole Scotty's mom is raped storyline.  We see on the video she gets knocked down and the guy runs off. Did the guy go back to their homes later and rape the women? 

Also threeish episodes in a row where Lily, Scotty and Vera were shady? A little ridiculous.  (Lily stalking Mo, Scotty breaking into the rapist apartment and now Vera drinking and driving and crashing) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

So I'm confused about the whole Scotty's mom is raped storyline.  We see on the video she gets knocked down and the guy runs off. Did the guy go back to their homes later and rape the women? 

He didn't run off after knocking her down. I think that's what she told Scotty-that he knocked her down. What he saw on the video was that he knocked her down and was out of sight for a few minutes. It doesn't take very long to rape someone. Then there was the statement from the other woman who told Scotty what happened.

It was the guy from the store who also told Scotty he saw the guy "run off" when he was trying to find the guy who thought had just mugged his mom and taken her wallet.

The guy stole their wallets and kept their licenses.

• Like 4

On 7/8/2021 at 5:32 PM, WendyCR72 said:

True. But the company providing any given show can also yank it at a moment's notice. Not to say I don't stream; I do. But I also understand just why some do not want to stop viewing DVDs. Because a viewer actually owns those, and they cannot be taken away. 

This is my #1 problem with streaming from services even the free ones like Crackle, Tubi, FilmRise is they can yank content without warning. I’ve been halfway through different series only to go resume watching and it’s gone. 
Also I really enjoy the extras. I want the special features. I’ve been disappointed many times when I’ve bought a series or movie on iTunes during a sale only to find the extras don’t exist. 
Last weekend they had a lot of Criterion films for $4.99 which is a quarter of the usual price. I  bought a few, was sad to discover it was only the film. Criterion dvds are usually loaded with extras, special features. 

This show needs to be on DVD! Perhaps they can do the DVD print on demand that Amazon, Warner and MGM do with certain films they’ve felt a regular DVD release wouldn’t be profitable for. There’s an audience for it who would be willing to pay for it. 

On 7/8/2021 at 5:35 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

The reason I still but DVDs is because of the special features—interviews with cast and crew and blooper/gag reels.

We don’t get that with streaming.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

This show needs to be on DVD! Perhaps they can do the DVD print on demand that Amazon, Warner and MGM do with certain films they’ve felt a regular DVD release wouldn’t be profitable for. There’s an audience for it who would be willing to pay for it. 

Yeah, but a huge part of this show was the music, and I doubt a MOD program would be willing to shell out the money for rights and clearances, which would translate to changed bargain-basement music and/or cut scenes altogether, which would mean low DVD sales.

That's just the sad reality for a show like this.

WKRP In Cincinnati and The Wonder Years had such releases and tanked. But they had the benefit of other companies buying the rights and having the legal maneuvers and cash to redo them with the original music. When re-released (with much hype about restored scenes/music!), the "corrected" versions sold well. But in this day and age with DVDs on the decline, I don't see it happening now for Cold Case, sadly.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, but a huge part of this show was the music, and I doubt a MOD program would be willing to shell out the money for rights and clearances, which would translate to changed bargain-basement music and/or cut scenes altogether, which would mean low DVD sales.

That's just the sad reality for a show like this.

WKRP In Cincinnati and The Wonder Years had such releases and tanked. But they had the benefit of other companies buying the rights and having the legal maneuvers and cash to redo them with the original music. When re-released (with much hype about restored scenes/music!), the "corrected" versions sold well. But in this day and age with DVDs on the decline, I don't see it happening now for Cold Case, sadly.

It’s heartbreaking because I think between DVD/Digital Sales, syndication, they’d make back the money plus more. It might take time but it would be profitable. There’s an audience for it. It’s not like the missing Wiseguy episodes only a handful of people care about. 

I didn’t see the previous posts about HBO Max. 
Some of the music seems off to me. 

Edited by LemonSoda · Reason: Phone wasn’t showing previous pages

On 7/12/2021 at 2:59 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Yes, I totally agree there. I had saved the whole series to my DVR, but the commercials were annoying, so I was so excited to see it come to Roku but didn't feel like I could delete them from the DVR because I knew they could be pulled any time.

The Moe storyline was one of my least favorite threads. Took over too many episodes and played way too fast and loose with the law. Regardless of what he did, going out and killing him with impunity isn't justice.

Also not a fan of the Lily's dad storyline. I always liked the backstory with her mom and am possibly the only person on earth who thought Christina was an interesting character, those 2 relationships explained a lot about why Lily was the way she was. But the stuff with her dad and his new family really didn't add any interesting layers to the character.

They nailed the young Stillman, there was also an episode with a young Vera that really nailed his mannerisms as well. 

Stillman and Jeffries were great as the old-timers with a lot of history about the department, but I liked all of the detectives (except for that awful mid-series attempt at adding a 2nd female, she sucked, but they quickly corrected and brought in Traci Thoms, who was much better). Vera is an ass a lot of the time, but he couldn't be more perfect in his role as a youngish Philly cop. The gruffness and attitude were spot on, plus the occasional glimpses into his past as king of his high school whose adult life was rockier than he'd expected, it all made sense to the character. 

Rewatched Strange Fruit, some of the details of this episode never make sense to me. Like Zeke meets Matilda when he chases the young daughter home after she steals his flag. It's 1963 and a young black man not only chases a little white girl through the streets, but bursts right into her house, not knowing who he'd encounter there? And then stands there in the living room making chess moves on their board? I know they had to get the story started, but that's so far-fetched as a starting point. 

What I missed from "Strange Fruit" was how Zeke's body got from the tree where he was hanged, to the playground?

Other random question for CC fans. Why do the cops leave their guns in the lockers? Every other cop show, cops can be seen carrying firearms; on this show you can always see empty holsters.

• Useful 1

4 hours ago, Route66 said:

What I missed from "Strange Fruit" was how Zeke's body got from the tree where he was hanged, to the playground?

Other random question for CC fans. Why do the cops leave their guns in the lockers? Every other cop show, cops can be seen carrying firearms; on this show you can always see empty holsters.

On most shows detectives take their guns off in the office and place them in their desk not having the metal dig into your hip as you sit I guess is the reason. For that once in every other season police station shooting you can see them going for the desk drawers. The lockers however are for the jail and prison scenes  to keep the guns from being captured by detainees and prisoners should there be a riot or attack on a guard/cop. Corrections officers outside of the prisoner wings  however would have access to firearms to fire into the exclusion zone should that become necessary.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 1:14 AM, scorpio1031 said:

Back on the Roku Channel

Great news for people who don't have HBO Max, or for people like me, who find the HBO Max app glitchy and unreliable. I haven't really been able to watch much CC because the app just closes over and over, so I'm happy to have it back on Roku channel, even with the commercials.

I watched Start-Up last night, this one has always bugged me for the incredibly stupid premise of "LionStaff." The pitch was "It's 3 a.m. and your toddler is having a seizure. You go on the internet to find out what's happening and all the information is right at your fingertips on our site. People will be desperate and desperate people pay." 

This was 1998. If your toddler is having a seizure at 3 a.m., you're calling 911, you're not going on the internet and putting in a credit card to access some random site to tell you what to do.

Nowadays, sure, everybody uses Dr. Google to some degree, but it was different in 1998. 

The rest of the episode was fine, the tech bubble and ensuing burst, young people becoming wildly rich overnight, the casual office atmosphere, all that stuff was accurate, it's just that opening pitch that seems stupid to me. 

• Like 2

I thought it was a stupid pitch, too, to use the middle of the night emergency with a child as the example.  Like you said, the average parent would not use some random, just-launched website under those circumstances, they'd go to the ER.

It would have made more sense if it was essentially WebMD, which did indeed launch right around that time (and they could have just made the in-show version a subscription service rather than getting into how the free website for the public is financed by the subscription service for doctors - and, of course, pharmaceutical companies, which is a whole other can o' worms). 

• Like 2

There were lots of nonsensical start-ups in the original dot-com boom. Venture money was going wild for anything dot-com whether it actually made sense or not.

I think that was the show's intention, since it chose an idea for which there is no real-world counterpart, because it's a stupid idea.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Black Knight said:

There were lots of nonsensical start-ups in the original dot-com boom. Venture money was going wild for anything dot-com whether it actually made sense or not.

I think that was the show's intention, since it chose an idea for which there is no real-world counterpart, because it's a stupid idea.

I think what doesn't work for me in that scenario was Amy's earnest sincerity behind the idea. They never got specific about what killed her brother, but she seemed to believe that if she'd had something like that, the kid wouldn't have died. 

I was in college at that time and I remember that version of the internet being so frustrating in schoolwork. You could google your topic but every time you saw an article you might want to read and use, it was behind a paywall. So the general idea wasn't the worst, I could see people using a site like that, but not in an emergency situation like they described.

On 9/15/2021 at 7:18 AM, ljenkins782 said:

I think what doesn't work for me in that scenario was Amy's earnest sincerity behind the idea. They never got specific about what killed her brother, but she seemed to believe that if she'd had something like that, the kid wouldn't have died. 

It's hard to say since we got no specifics, but I can think of some possibilities in which Amy could feel that being able to google medical info would have helped. And then, of course, it's a start-up, so it has to be monetized, and back then online advertising wouldn't have been a viable source of sufficient revenue.

I actually think you hit the nail on the head in a way. She really just wanted to get medical information online so whatever happened to her family wouldn't happen again, and because she needed start-up money to make that happen, she talked herself into thinking that this was somehow viable and chose to overlook the obvious flaws. Belief is very powerful.