Type keyword(s) to search

Cold Case - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The hair thing used to drive me crazy in regards to Lilly. Anytime I see her hair mentioned online I think of this old MADtv skit. There's a line or two about and then at the end is where it gets focused on so I timestamped it to start there. 

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

The hair thing used to drive me crazy in regards to Lilly. Anytime I see her hair mentioned online I think of this old MADtv skit. There's a line or two about and then at the end is where it gets focused on so I timestamped it to start there. 

Yeah, I saw it in the previous page of this thread. It's hilarious. But I never thought Lilly's hair in the first couple of seasons was that messy when clipped.

Scotty, back to being an ASS because he ASSUMED that the other detectives "ratted" him out to IAD. When, one, he wasn't very quiet about egging on about Burrell in the previous season. And OF COURSE, it was the ADA (who I don't like for a number of trope reasons and just her general attitude), and OF COURSE they had to have sex because Sexual Tension! cloaked under Hostility! Give me a break.

The one thing I hate about the streaming platform is the inability to fast forward what I want, and being able to stop when I want, without going too far.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Scotty, back to being an ASS because he ASSUMED that the other detectives "ratted" him out to IAD. When, one, he wasn't very quiet about egging on about Burrell in the previous season. And OF COURSE, it was the ADA (who I don't like for a number of trope reasons and just her general attitude), and OF COURSE they had to have sex because Sexual Tension! cloaked under Hostility! Give me a break.

I have only seen Cold Case episodes when they originally aired so I don't have a lot of clear memories of them but one scene I vividly remember was Scotty walking down the street with Lily's sister.  My first thought was ugh.

• Love 1

Watched more episodes this weekend. Cold Case got both a very young Jennifer Lawrence and Shalaine Woodley. And, oddly enough, if you watched the Hunger Games movies, the mom in Jennifer's episode was the same as her mom in The Hunger Games. 

• Love 2

I wonder if that was just a coincidence or if the Hunger Games casting people reviewed the Cold Case episode and thought she'd be a good fit to play Lawrence's mom once more. (I doubt it came specifically through a recommendation from Lawrence; she didn't have any pull yet.)

That episode is just so tragic. The mom so happy and excited to give the guy his share of the ticket and then he thinks she's cheating him. Sigh.

Someone mentioned this upthread, but it's really weird that they had Lawrence playing the sister she did instead of the other one who's played in the flashbacks by a little girl who looks just like Lawrence.

• Love 3
On 6/30/2021 at 11:21 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yeah, I saw it in the previous page of this thread. It's hilarious. But I never thought Lilly's hair in the first couple of seasons was that messy when clipped.

The one thing I hate about the streaming platform is the inability to fast forward what I want, and being able to stop when I want, without going too far.

I hated Scotty in that episode and it gave the audience a good idea of how angry he could get in season seven.

• Love 1
On 6/25/2021 at 1:48 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I hated the revisit to that serial killer George. I get he was a clerk in the department, but how did he get all that information on Lilly and the attack when she was 10? Or on Stillman's daughter? I hate shit like that.

I hated the return of George too, mostly because of that scenery-chewing actor and his painfully stilted dialogue. And maybe this is shallow, but his giant lips were distracting too, so many closeups while he monologued on and on and on.

But the DVDs market has tanked anyway, thanks to streaming, and it's very unlikely to rebound, so it's basically moot now.

Yeah, I don't see a return to widespread DVD watching at this point. It's like when CDs seemed amazing because you could skip around without having to FF or rewind and guess at the right spot, then DVDs seemed amazing after VHS tapes for similar reasons.

But streaming is a whole 'nother level because you can watch an episode of this and then switch to an entirely different show without even getting up and you have a whole universe of programming right on your TV or in your streaming device.

For me, even if they released the DVDs at this point, I'll still prefer streaming because I can jump from season to season without having to change anything. There were certain seasons of this show where you could hit upon a winner quickly and then some other seasons where I only like 1 in 5 of the episodes.

2 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

But streaming is a whole 'nother level because you can watch an episode of this and then switch to an entirely different show without even getting up and you have a whole universe of programming right on your TV or in your streaming device.

True. But the company providing any given show can also yank it at a moment's notice. Not to say I don't stream; I do. But I also understand just why some do not want to stop viewing DVDs. Because a viewer actually owns those, and they cannot be taken away. Hence why I also still buy DVDs for certain shows/movies as well as stream.

Positives and negatives to everything, I guess.

Still, with music rights being what they are, I also do not ever see this show coming to DVD.

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

But I also understand just why some do not want to stop viewing DVDs. Because a viewer actually owns those, and they cannot be taken away.

Exactly; if I think I'll re-watch something several times, I buy the DVD/Blu-Ray (if available), even if it's on streaming and/or syndication.  I can watch it anywhere, anytime, not just when a provider decides to make it available and only on my one TV that's hooked up for streaming.  And, while I generally only watch them once, like @GHScorpiosRule, I enjoy the special features.

• Love 4
On 7/8/2021 at 8:32 PM, WendyCR72 said:

True. But the company providing any given show can also yank it at a moment's notice. Not to say I don't stream; I do. But I also understand just why some do not want to stop viewing DVDs. Because a viewer actually owns those, and they cannot be taken away. Hence why I also still buy DVDs for certain shows/movies as well as stream.

Still, with music rights being what they are, I also do not ever see this show coming to DVD.

Also an issue with DVRs. I have a Fios DVR and had a whole bunch of episodes of CC and some other shows saved on it. When it died, I lost all the shows. In the past, they had transferred to the new DVR, but they changed it. And there was some comment on the website about how it's not intended for the purpose of saving episodes.

• Useful 2

Finally in the home stretch of the final season.

First, I'm glad that most of the episodes are back to cold cases from the 40s-80s. Especially the 40s-70s.

But UGH. Why Lilly was acting as if Moe Kitchener (PMI dude played by Daniel Baldwin) had been found not guilty, or that the case against him had been dismissed, just aggravated me to no end. With her stalking him, and even being told that it could cost her her badge, she kept on. It's not as if he was gaslighting or stalking her while he was out on bail.

And the resolution to all that was a big giant fizzle. Dad (Joe Penny! from Riptide!*) just walks in and says he killed him, and pfft. All done.

Then there's Scotty and his mother's rape story line. Too much time taking away from the main plot.

So Saccardo was....dirty? After being undercover for so long? Or were the money and drugs that Lilly found under his bed just part of his cover? And another fizzle ending to a relationship (which I really didn't care for) with his leaving her that diamond bracelet.

And just too much personal baggage of Lilly and Scotty.  With bringing in Lilly's dad, the show kept acting as if Lilly was an only child. Cooper doesn't ever ask about Christina. Unless he meets her in the series finale?

And the overt breaking rules and violating suspects'/perps' rights, willy nilly.

I really like the actor they have to play the youngish Stillman. I missed the episode where we learn that he was the detective Lilly met after she'd been beaten as a child. And years later he ends up her boss. He's like the BEST BOSS ever, and they are all lucky to have him as their squad commander. Stillman is my favorite character, along with Will Jeffries.

*We had Perry King in an earlier season "Black out", but I don't think Tom Bray, the nerdy one, ever guest starred?

• Love 3
On 7/8/2021 at 8:32 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Yes, I totally agree there. I had saved the whole series to my DVR, but the commercials were annoying, so I was so excited to see it come to Roku but didn't feel like I could delete them from the DVR because I knew they could be pulled any time.

But UGH. Why Lilly was acting as if Moe Kitchener (PMI dude played by Daniel Baldwin) had been found not guilty, or that the case against him had been dismissed, just aggravated me to no end. With her stalking him, and even being told that it could cost her her badge, she kept on. It's not as if he was gaslighting or stalking her while he was out on bail.

And the resolution to all that was a big giant fizzle. Dad (Joe Penny! from Riptide!*) just walks in and says he killed him, and pfft. All done.

The Moe storyline was one of my least favorite threads. Took over too many episodes and played way too fast and loose with the law. Regardless of what he did, going out and killing him with impunity isn't justice.

Also not a fan of the Lily's dad storyline. I always liked the backstory with her mom and am possibly the only person on earth who thought Christina was an interesting character, those 2 relationships explained a lot about why Lily was the way she was. But the stuff with her dad and his new family really didn't add any interesting layers to the character.

I really like the actor they have to play the youngish Stillman. I missed the episode where we learn that he was the detective Lilly met after she'd been beaten as a child. And years later he ends up her boss. He's like the BEST BOSS ever, and they are all lucky to have him as their squad commander. Stillman is my favorite character, along with Will Jeffries.

They nailed the young Stillman, there was also an episode with a young Vera that really nailed his mannerisms as well. 

Stillman and Jeffries were great as the old-timers with a lot of history about the department, but I liked all of the detectives (except for that awful mid-series attempt at adding a 2nd female, she sucked, but they quickly corrected and brought in Traci Thoms, who was much better). Vera is an ass a lot of the time, but he couldn't be more perfect in his role as a youngish Philly cop. The gruffness and attitude were spot on, plus the occasional glimpses into his past as king of his high school whose adult life was rockier than he'd expected, it all made sense to the character. 

Rewatched Strange Fruit, some of the details of this episode never make sense to me. Like Zeke meets Matilda when he chases the young daughter home after she steals his flag. It's 1963 and a young black man not only chases a little white girl through the streets, but bursts right into her house, not knowing who he'd encounter there? And then stands there in the living room making chess moves on their board? I know they had to get the story started, but that's so far-fetched as a starting point. 

• Love 3

What a fizzle of a letdown for the series finale. Bleagh.

What I thoroughly enjoyed about “Almost Paradise” was what seemed to be the real life pictures of Thom Barry and Jeremy Ratchford!🥰🥰🥰

But damn. I went to high school in the 80s and had very good teachers who weren’t pervs or skeevy assholes. A couple of them were in the young side. I guess I was very fortunate that I could joke with them and have them be my mentors as well.

I TOTALLY knew the farther wasn’t the serial killer in the two parter with Susannah Thompson.

It seems they knew the show wasn’t going to be renewed, since everything seemed to be tied up neatly. No loose ends or cliff hanger. So yay, I guess?

• Love 2

So I'm confused about the whole Scotty's mom is raped storyline.  We see on the video she gets knocked down and the guy runs off. Did the guy go back to their homes later and rape the women? 

Also threeish episodes in a row where Lily, Scotty and Vera were shady? A little ridiculous.  (Lily stalking Mo, Scotty breaking into the rapist apartment and now Vera drinking and driving and crashing) 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

So I'm confused about the whole Scotty's mom is raped storyline.  We see on the video she gets knocked down and the guy runs off. Did the guy go back to their homes later and rape the women? 

He didn't run off after knocking her down. I think that's what she told Scotty-that he knocked her down. What he saw on the video was that he knocked her down and was out of sight for a few minutes. It doesn't take very long to rape someone. Then there was the statement from the other woman who told Scotty what happened.

It was the guy from the store who also told Scotty he saw the guy "run off" when he was trying to find the guy who thought had just mugged his mom and taken her wallet.

The guy stole their wallets and kept their licenses.

• Love 4
On 7/8/2021 at 5:32 PM, WendyCR72 said:

True. But the company providing any given show can also yank it at a moment's notice. Not to say I don't stream; I do. But I also understand just why some do not want to stop viewing DVDs. Because a viewer actually owns those, and they cannot be taken away. 

This is my #1 problem with streaming from services even the free ones like Crackle, Tubi, FilmRise is they can yank content without warning. I’ve been halfway through different series only to go resume watching and it’s gone. 
Also I really enjoy the extras. I want the special features. I’ve been disappointed many times when I’ve bought a series or movie on iTunes during a sale only to find the extras don’t exist. 
Last weekend they had a lot of Criterion films for $4.99 which is a quarter of the usual price. I  bought a few, was sad to discover it was only the film. Criterion dvds are usually loaded with extras, special features. 

This show needs to be on DVD! Perhaps they can do the DVD print on demand that Amazon, Warner and MGM do with certain films they’ve felt a regular DVD release wouldn’t be profitable for. There’s an audience for it who would be willing to pay for it. 

On 7/8/2021 at 5:35 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

The reason I still but DVDs is because of the special features—interviews with cast and crew and blooper/gag reels.

We don’t get that with streaming.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

This show needs to be on DVD! Perhaps they can do the DVD print on demand that Amazon, Warner and MGM do with certain films they’ve felt a regular DVD release wouldn’t be profitable for. There’s an audience for it who would be willing to pay for it. 

Yeah, but a huge part of this show was the music, and I doubt a MOD program would be willing to shell out the money for rights and clearances, which would translate to changed bargain-basement music and/or cut scenes altogether, which would mean low DVD sales.

That's just the sad reality for a show like this.

WKRP In Cincinnati and The Wonder Years had such releases and tanked. But they had the benefit of other companies buying the rights and having the legal maneuvers and cash to redo them with the original music. When re-released (with much hype about restored scenes/music!), the "corrected" versions sold well. But in this day and age with DVDs on the decline, I don't see it happening now for Cold Case, sadly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, but a huge part of this show was the music, and I doubt a MOD program would be willing to shell out the money for rights and clearances, which would translate to changed bargain-basement music and/or cut scenes altogether, which would mean low DVD sales.

That's just the sad reality for a show like this.

WKRP In Cincinnati and The Wonder Years had such releases and tanked. But they had the benefit of other companies buying the rights and having the legal maneuvers and cash to redo them with the original music. When re-released (with much hype about restored scenes/music!), the "corrected" versions sold well. But in this day and age with DVDs on the decline, I don't see it happening now for Cold Case, sadly.

It’s heartbreaking because I think between DVD/Digital Sales, syndication, they’d make back the money plus more. It might take time but it would be profitable. There’s an audience for it. It’s not like the missing Wiseguy episodes only a handful of people care about. 

On 7/12/2021 at 2:59 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Yes, I totally agree there. I had saved the whole series to my DVR, but the commercials were annoying, so I was so excited to see it come to Roku but didn't feel like I could delete them from the DVR because I knew they could be pulled any time.

The Moe storyline was one of my least favorite threads. Took over too many episodes and played way too fast and loose with the law. Regardless of what he did, going out and killing him with impunity isn't justice.

Also not a fan of the Lily's dad storyline. I always liked the backstory with her mom and am possibly the only person on earth who thought Christina was an interesting character, those 2 relationships explained a lot about why Lily was the way she was. But the stuff with her dad and his new family really didn't add any interesting layers to the character.

They nailed the young Stillman, there was also an episode with a young Vera that really nailed his mannerisms as well. 

Stillman and Jeffries were great as the old-timers with a lot of history about the department, but I liked all of the detectives (except for that awful mid-series attempt at adding a 2nd female, she sucked, but they quickly corrected and brought in Traci Thoms, who was much better). Vera is an ass a lot of the time, but he couldn't be more perfect in his role as a youngish Philly cop. The gruffness and attitude were spot on, plus the occasional glimpses into his past as king of his high school whose adult life was rockier than he'd expected, it all made sense to the character. 

Rewatched Strange Fruit, some of the details of this episode never make sense to me. Like Zeke meets Matilda when he chases the young daughter home after she steals his flag. It's 1963 and a young black man not only chases a little white girl through the streets, but bursts right into her house, not knowing who he'd encounter there? And then stands there in the living room making chess moves on their board? I know they had to get the story started, but that's so far-fetched as a starting point. 

What I missed from "Strange Fruit" was how Zeke's body got from the tree where he was hanged, to the playground?

Other random question for CC fans. Why do the cops leave their guns in the lockers? Every other cop show, cops can be seen carrying firearms; on this show you can always see empty holsters.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Route66 said:

What I missed from "Strange Fruit" was how Zeke's body got from the tree where he was hanged, to the playground?

Other random question for CC fans. Why do the cops leave their guns in the lockers? Every other cop show, cops can be seen carrying firearms; on this show you can always see empty holsters.

On most shows detectives take their guns off in the office and place them in their desk not having the metal dig into your hip as you sit I guess is the reason. For that once in every other season police station shooting you can see them going for the desk drawers. The lockers however are for the jail and prison scenes  to keep the guns from being captured by detainees and prisoners should there be a riot or attack on a guard/cop. Corrections officers outside of the prisoner wings  however would have access to firearms to fire into the exclusion zone should that become necessary.

• Love 1
On 9/3/2021 at 1:14 AM, scorpio1031 said:

Back on the Roku Channel

Great news for people who don't have HBO Max, or for people like me, who find the HBO Max app glitchy and unreliable. I haven't really been able to watch much CC because the app just closes over and over, so I'm happy to have it back on Roku channel, even with the commercials.

I watched Start-Up last night, this one has always bugged me for the incredibly stupid premise of "LionStaff." The pitch was "It's 3 a.m. and your toddler is having a seizure. You go on the internet to find out what's happening and all the information is right at your fingertips on our site. People will be desperate and desperate people pay." 

This was 1998. If your toddler is having a seizure at 3 a.m., you're calling 911, you're not going on the internet and putting in a credit card to access some random site to tell you what to do.

Nowadays, sure, everybody uses Dr. Google to some degree, but it was different in 1998. 

The rest of the episode was fine, the tech bubble and ensuing burst, young people becoming wildly rich overnight, the casual office atmosphere, all that stuff was accurate, it's just that opening pitch that seems stupid to me. 

• Love 2

I thought it was a stupid pitch, too, to use the middle of the night emergency with a child as the example.  Like you said, the average parent would not use some random, just-launched website under those circumstances, they'd go to the ER.

It would have made more sense if it was essentially WebMD, which did indeed launch right around that time (and they could have just made the in-show version a subscription service rather than getting into how the free website for the public is financed by the subscription service for doctors - and, of course, pharmaceutical companies, which is a whole other can o' worms). 

• Love 2

There were lots of nonsensical start-ups in the original dot-com boom. Venture money was going wild for anything dot-com whether it actually made sense or not.

I think that was the show's intention, since it chose an idea for which there is no real-world counterpart, because it's a stupid idea.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Black Knight said:

There were lots of nonsensical start-ups in the original dot-com boom. Venture money was going wild for anything dot-com whether it actually made sense or not.

I think that was the show's intention, since it chose an idea for which there is no real-world counterpart, because it's a stupid idea.

I think what doesn't work for me in that scenario was Amy's earnest sincerity behind the idea. They never got specific about what killed her brother, but she seemed to believe that if she'd had something like that, the kid wouldn't have died. 

I was in college at that time and I remember that version of the internet being so frustrating in schoolwork. You could google your topic but every time you saw an article you might want to read and use, it was behind a paywall. So the general idea wasn't the worst, I could see people using a site like that, but not in an emergency situation like they described.

On 9/15/2021 at 7:18 AM, ljenkins782 said:

I think what doesn't work for me in that scenario was Amy's earnest sincerity behind the idea. They never got specific about what killed her brother, but she seemed to believe that if she'd had something like that, the kid wouldn't have died. 

It's hard to say since we got no specifics, but I can think of some possibilities in which Amy could feel that being able to google medical info would have helped. And then, of course, it's a start-up, so it has to be monetized, and back then online advertising wouldn't have been a viable source of sufficient revenue.

I actually think you hit the nail on the head in a way. She really just wanted to get medical information online so whatever happened to her family wouldn't happen again, and because she needed start-up money to make that happen, she talked herself into thinking that this was somehow viable and chose to overlook the obvious flaws. Belief is very powerful.

I was in a mood, and watched "The Sleepover".  That episode is fantastic.  Rita breaks my heart, when she repeats to Ariel what her mom had told her -- that everyone who's ever been anything in the history of time has been a loser in junior high, but in college they're going to be appreciated.

Everyone breaks my heart in this one.  Brandi and Neal trying to protect each other from their psycho parents as kids and then wrapping their arms around each other as adults when she goes to see him in the psychiatric hospital - gets me every time.

And Ariel's confession, after Lilly tells her Rita was just a little kid, saying, "But I was just a little kid too. I didn't know.  [Lilly asks what she didn't know] I didn't know you live through it."  Sob.

Another tragic teenage popularity story is "Stand Up and Holler", and my favorite part of that one is how much Lilly hates Adult Becca.  Becca still being exactly who she was in high school makes watching that queen bee marched out of her reunion in cuffs glorious.

I also love Vera and Miller showing each other their school photos.

• Love 5

TNT has been airing Cold Case late at night. It's still such a good show. Our Boy Is Back was a really good episode, I really like the twist in Churchgoing People that the mother was abusive and ended up killing her husband. Stories about abusive women towards men are still pretty rare. The son is interesting he takes care of his mother and won't let the police near his mother but keeps the front door open (or unlocked) so something would happen to her. That's what kicked started the investigation. He had the chance to stop protecting her and he didn't. 

The couple in Love Conquers Al are so sick and twisted. It's odd that they didn't end up together after murdering the girl. I wonder if they killed anyone else.

It was nice to see the cops finally get arrested in A Time to Hate. I did love the mother asking Lilly to tell her who her son loved and she was willing to meet him. The scene with them meeting was really good.

Man the cousin in Hitchhiker was a piece of work. He kills his cousin and steals his money after his cousin stood up to him. And years later he's still doing the same crap. Taking money from his cousin's little sister. I really wish something worse happened to him then jail. I wish we got some dialog between Scotty and the Russian immigrant at the end. Yeah, they shook hands but hearing Scotty apologizing would have been nice.

Fly Away always breaks my heart. Poor Rosie trying so hard to raise her daughter while still traumatized by her abuse by father and keeps running into assholes. I'm glad they got the social worker at the end. I really hope his fellow inmates find out what he did. He deserve so much worse
then just going to jail. I feel so bad for the pizza boy who was trying to do something nice by bringing by left over pizza and didn't know Rosie thought he was the social worker coming to take her daughter away. Great songs always The End of Innocence always makes me cry. I Believe in Hitchhiker.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, andromeda331 said:

Our Boy Is Back was a really good episode,

I think it being based on a real case helped the third episode of the series come on strong.  (The first was good, the second was even better thanks to the performance of the actor playing adult Gwen, and then the third really showed what the series would become.)

2 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I really like the twist in Churchgoing People that the mother was abusive and ended up killing her husband. Stories about abusive women towards men are still pretty rare.

Because instances of women abusing men are a drop in the bucket compared with instances of men abusing women; I'm glad they included such a story, but proportionally instead of it being one of many similar tales over the course of the series.

I hate most cop shows (they normalize and even glorify horrible police practices), so I didn't see this one in real time until I was at my parents' house when "Superstar" (the Battle of the Sexes tennis match at a college) aired.  I liked it, and when I came across it in the wee syndication hours on TNT, I got caught up; I fell asleep the first night, and woke up to the wife in "Churchgoing People" stalking her husband up the stairs, which was seriously frightening in my semi-altered state.  Well done.

4 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

The couple in Love Conquers Al are so sick and twisted.

That's another one inspired by a real story, and I agree they are two of the most batshit crazy people in the world, especially in "present day" -- it's bad enough as teens, but that they're still on about their eternal love and how they had to erase the obstacle?  Pathetic (I don't know if that part was true to life, or if they just took the teenage story and ran with it).

17 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

It was nice to see the cops finally get arrested in A Time to Hate. I did love the mother asking Lilly to tell her who her son loved and she was willing to meet him. The scene with them meeting was really good.

I've re-watched this series several times over the years, and not once have I got through the hospital meeting between the mom and the former boyfriend or the closing montage without crying.  And that's only seven episodes in.  I think this series really found its stride in season two, but it also has some very strong moments/episodes in season one.

5 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Fly Away always breaks my heart. Poor Rosie trying so hard to raise her daughter while still traumatized by her abuse by father and keeps running into assholes. I'm glad they got the social worker at the end.

The closing montage of kids identifying him in a line-up is heartbreaking.

6 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I feel so bad for the pizza boy who was trying to do something nice by bringing by left over pizza and didn't know Rosie thought he was the social worker coming to take her daughter away.

Yeah, also heartbreaking is the sadly realistic fate of the young Black man at the wrong place and wrong time, and that he still has the grace to return Rosie's wave in "present day" despite his circumstances.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's another one inspired by a real story, and I agree they are two of the most batshit crazy people in the world, especially in "present day" -- it's bad enough as teens, but that they're still on about their eternal love and how they had to erase the obstacle?  Pathetic (I don't know if that part was true to life, or if they just took the teenage story and ran with it).

In real life they were arrested not that long after the murder. They threw each other under the bus during the legal proceedings that followed, each insisting the other had acted alone. So I think it's unlikely that as adults they're still going on about their eternal love.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think it being based on a real case helped the third episode of the series come on strong.  (The first was good, the second was even better thanks to the performance of the actor playing adult Gwen, and then the third really showed what the series would become.)

Oh, it was? Do you know which one it was? It did make me think of Philadelphia rapist who disappeared for awhile but it turned out he moved to Colorado and was raping there. I don't know if that's the case it was based on or not. It was a good episode.

I do remember the real story the real ones and TV versions were crazy. 

Yeah, also heartbreaking is the sadly realistic fate of the young Black man at the wrong place and wrong time, and that he still has the grace to return Rosie's wave in "present day" despite his circumstances.

It really was. He was right. If he had called the police he would have been blamed for it and in jail. It really sucks. 

I finally came across this in its latest syndication tonight, and it's "Volunteers".  That episode should be shown nightly:

- Why was he [volunteering with an abortion access organization], he know someone who had one?
- Most everyone does, son.

Odd schedule, though, looking at the TNT website -- this week it's a bunch of episodes overnight as Monday turns to Tuesday and another smaller batch the next overnight, Tuesday to Wednesday, but then next week it's just one episode in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, followed by the several-episode marathon from Tuesday to Wednesday overnight.

Whatever oddness, they're still in season one, so I'll fall asleep to this show those nights; this is one of the very few cop shows in the history of television I can abide, let alone like, and while there are some clunkers along the way, especially in its final seasons, I generally like it from beginning to end.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, GiandujaPie said:

Wow, that's awesome! I'm going to start setting my DVR. Thanks for the info!

You might want to set the last episode for an extra 30 minutes. Twice now ran over the first episode and for the game had the last episode go past 30 minutes. Although the second time with the movie it just jumped into the second episode where it was. 

On 5/31/2022 at 12:48 AM, Bastet said:

I finally came across this in its latest syndication tonight, and it's "Volunteers".  That episode should be shown nightly:

- Why was he [volunteering with an abortion access organization], he know someone who had one?
- Most everyone does, son.

Odd schedule, though, looking at the TNT website -- this week it's a bunch of episodes overnight as Monday turns to Tuesday and another smaller batch the next overnight, Tuesday to Wednesday, but then next week it's just one episode in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, followed by the several-episode marathon from Tuesday to Wednesday overnight.

Whatever oddness, they're still in season one, so I'll fall asleep to this show those nights; this is one of the very few cop shows in the history of television I can abide, let alone like, and while there are some clunkers along the way, especially in its final seasons, I generally like it from beginning to end.

That's such a great episode. Sadly still important all these years later. Maybe it should run with the scene from Dirty Dancing after Penny's abortion. 

• Love 3

The professor in Hubris has some balls going to Lilly claiming he didn't murder the student he had an affair with and been unfairly convicted by the public only for him to actually be her murderer. What an asshole. I'm sorry the victim's father didn't beat him even more.

Glued is a sad episode. That poor boy murdered by that asshole shopkeeper. He didn't even want to steal but was forced to by the gang members. His poor mother blaming herself all these years because of what she prayed for in a moment of weakness after being overwhelmed by so much. Thinking God did it to punish her.

The Letter is another hard one. Poor Sadie thinking she finally found someone to love her. Only for that to end when he saw a picture of her daughter who had darker black skin the Sadie. Then doing absolutely nothing while she's attacked. That was so horrible.

The Boy in the Box was an okay episode. Arnold didn't seem like that bad of a kid. The experiments that were done on him and the boys. Grace thinking that electro shock therapy was a good idea?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

His poor mother blaming herself all these years because of what she prayed for in a moment of weakness after being overwhelmed by so much.

"Three is too many" is so simple yet a stand-out moment because the actor's delivery of the character's utter exhaustion is pitch perfect.  She loved her kids, but had too damn many because she'd been taught she was supposed to, and she was at the end of her rope.  Then one dies, leaving her with a more responsible and manageable number, and of course she feels like shit, because as miserable as she was she didn't actually wish a kid away, but feels like she made that happen in a perfectly natural low moment.  Very well done.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

"Three is too many" is so simple yet a stand-out moment because the actor's delivery of the character's utter exhaustion is pitch perfect.  She loved her kids, but had too damn many because she'd been taught she was supposed to, and she was at the end of her rope.  Then one dies, leaving her with a more responsible and manageable number, and of course she feels like shit, because as miserable as she was she didn't actually wish a kid away, but feels like she made that happen in a perfectly natural low moment.  Very well done.

Yes, it was.

On 6/1/2022 at 3:05 AM, andromeda331 said:

The Letter is another hard one. Poor Sadie thinking she finally found someone to love her. Only for that to end when he saw a picture of her daughter who had darker black skin the Sadie. Then doing absolutely nothing while she's attacked. That was so horrible.

I can't quite agree that he did nothing, he murdered her to stop her from experiencing the attack. It was kind of a no-win situation, he couldn't have stopped the attack on his own, them leaving ahead of time was the only way out and Sadie wouldn't go. And the fact that Sadie's daughter was much darker than Sadie complicated their plans to run away because he'd planned for Sadie to pass as a white woman and her daughter wouldn't have been able to. The whole episode was full of awful things that were commonplace in those times, sadly.

I'm not sure about Gleen, but it seems like most, if not all, episodes from season 1 were based on real cases.

Interestingly, the case from the pilot is no longer true-to-life as Michael Skakel's conviction was overturned a few years ago and the case is not being re-tried. Ironically, this is the statement issued about the lack of retrial:

On October 30, 2020, 45 years after Martha Moxley was killed, prosecutors dismissed the charge against Skakel.

Chief State's Attorney Richard Colangelo said a retrial was not possible. Key witnesses were dead, too much time had elapsed, and there was no additional evidence to test. 

I guess there was no convenient recorded confession or diary from which to pull evidence.  :p 

• Love 2

I've started rewatching the show on Roku and really enjoy it. But, as a parent of a young child, I find it hard to stomach those episodes in which the victim is a child. Is there a list of episodes with the ages of the victims?

• Hugs 2

The victim in Greed was piece of work. I'm surprised he wasn't killed sooner. 

The poor kid in Maternal Instincts. His "mother" sure messed him up when she kidnapped. Even if she lived she would have screwed him up. Sean looked happy with his bio fmaily. I really hope things get better for him. The murderer was horrible. He murders Linda/Rebecca because she said no even after he tried to blackmail her. Then leaves the kid alone.

I feel bad for the boys in the Plan. It was so horrible what they went through. 

Lovers' Lane is one of my favorite and least favorite episode. Eve was just such a great kid. Very naive. Their asshole friend bringing home girls for his father to rape including his two friends. I don't
care how abusive his father was. He could have gone to the police or told his friends or even ran away. He didn't. He stayed and he kept finding girls for his father. I hope prison is as bad for him as it
is for his father.
Lily's boyfriend is asshole. She's a cop they don't have normal hours.

The poor victims in the Badlands. I love the couple Tom and Della never back down from anyone and poor Derek. He finally gets a family. Someone who cares for him and his asshole brother kills the couple and him. 

I hated Dottie in Factory Girls. Cooking, cleaning and throwing herself at Nelson. He's not your husband go find someone single to throw yourself at. Poor Alice she really enjoying so much her new life and experiences and gets crapped on by Dottie and Nelson. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Their asshole friend bringing home girls for his father to rape including his two friends. I don't
care how abusive his father was. He could have gone to the police or told his friends or even ran away. He didn't. He stayed and he kept finding girls for his father. I hope prison is as bad for him as it
is for his father.

Childhood conditioning is very difficult to overcome, and he was still a teenager when the murder happened.  He deserves punishment for his own behavior, of course, so I'm glad he's in cuffs at the end, but his father is culpable not just for his own actions but also significantly culpable for Wayne's.  Wayne is both perpetrator and victim.  It's common in life, so I like that they show it a lot on this series; the characters are held accountable for what they did, but it's acknowledged that one of the many tragedies of the case is how they came to be that perpetrator.

The scene with adult Carrie when they ask her why she didn't report the rape is spot-fucking-on, when she imitates how that would have gone: "Mom, can we call the cops? 'Cause I got drunk with some guy, and then his dad said to come into his room..."  Every once in a while, even blockheads Nick and Scotty learn how goddamned stupid they are as men and as cops, and she schooled them perfectly.

11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Lily's boyfriend is asshole. She's a cop they don't have normal hours.

I don't think Kite was an asshole (in fact, he's the boyfriend I hate least, although that's not saying a ton since they gave her wack-ass relationships), just not right for her.  He didn't take issue with the long and irregular hours that were an inevitable part of the job, but her preferring to leave him sitting there for hours while she talked with some guy who can't let go of a teenage romance and is using Lilly as a stand-in for Eve, when that conversation has no bearing on the case as he is no longer a suspect and has already given everything they need as a witness, let him know her devotion to her cases was so consuming it didn't leave room for the kind of relationship he wanted.  He didn't tell her she was wrong for it - in fact, the opposite - just that it was wrong for him: "It's just who you are, and I admire it. But I don't want to live like that."

• Love 4
On 11/14/2019 at 8:44 AM, Raja said:

2 hours a day, 3-5 PM, seven days a week on START TV. On my cable menu START is still listed as KCBS2

I get it on Start TV through my Dish service. On my dish (MT) it is channel 291.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/10/2022 at 11:19 PM, TonyF said:

I've started rewatching the show on Roku and really enjoy it. But, as a parent of a young child, I find it hard to stomach those episodes in which the victim is a child. Is there a list of episodes with the ages of the victims?

Looking on imdb might help? As a mother, I also have trouble with many of those episodes. Here are a some that are especially upsetting to me that involve fairly young kids (under 10)
S1 ep 8, "Fly Away" (really sad)
S1 ep 12 "Glued" (already mentioned on here, but including anyway)
S1 ep 14, "The Boy in the Box" (sad one, potentially triggering scenes)
S1 ep 21, "Maternal Instincts" (though the child isn't the actual murder victim, but still quite unsettling)
S2 ep 6, "The Sleepover" (I think they're 12 or 13, but still...)
S2, ep 15, "Wishing" (teen, but with intellectual disability, so acts very childlike, and a really sad ep)
S2, ep 16 "Revenge" (sad)
S3, ep 5, "Committed" (another one where the child isn't the actual victim, but still extremely sad)
S3, ep 9, "A Perfect Day" (this one is especially brutal)
S4, ep 5, "Saving Sammy" (Another where the child is not the victim. I will say this is a really good episode--it does a pretty good job of depicting an autistic child--my daughter is on the spectrum--so I'd still recommend it)
S4, ep 8, "Fireflies" (sad but good)
S4, ep 16, "The Goodbye Room" (another where the baby isn't the victim, but sad)
S4, ep 18 (sad...)
S5, ep 1 "Thrill Kill" (I don't remember this one, but involves kids)
S5, ep 6, "Wunderkind"
S5, ep 8, "It Takes a Village"
S5, ep 14, "Andy in C Minor" (a teen, but sad case)
S5, ep 18, "Ghost of my Child" (sad, but I would still highly recommend this one)
S7, ep 9, "Forensics"
s7, ep 14 "Metamorphosis" (teen)
S7, ep 17 "Flashover" (really unsettling, but a good late episode)

OK, didn't realize quite how long the list was! And I suspect I missed some (Going through IMDB.)

Edited by MarylandGirl
added to list
  • Love 1

Daniela was a good episode I liked the romance between Daniela and Chris. I liked that he wasn't turned off when he realized what Daniela was. He still loved her I felt bad for both of them when his father showed up. I wish Daniela hadn't killed herself. That scene was so hard and given how abusive
his father was there was no way Chris was going to stand up for her. If only she waited a few more hours. Very sad.

Detective Ryan from Castle in the House! Honestly I thought his character was really stupid. Why did he keep escaping? For love? He could have finished out his time and been out. It would one thing if he felt Bobbi was somehow in danger but she wasn't.

I felt bad for Kara in Who's Your Daddy? Thinking she was somehow responsible for her parents' deaths. I'm glad she found out she wasn't. 

The Sleepover is such a good episode. Poor Rita she was such a cool kid and so nice. Trying to help Brandi and her brother even after the crap that Brandi and her friends put her through. Are we suppose to think that Brandi maniuplated Ariel to kill Rita? She spent a few minutes on it and then claimed to stop but then told Ariel they were done as friends. It really looked like it. Ariel was so stupid to be so desperate to be friends with such a horrible person. Realistic though. To continue though as adults? That's pathetic. I'm not sure why they had Rita's mom having an affair with Tiffany's father. It didn't go anywhere. Also as great as it was to tell her that college would be great. What about the next six years that Rita would have had to put up with? That's a long time to wait for things to get better. Brandi was played by Carly Schroeder who played Serena on Port Charles and General Hospital she's such a great actress. I loved her as Serena. I'm surprise she hasn't become a bigger star.

Would there been anything they could have charged the parents' with for abusing their kids? I don't remember much on the law back then but I wish they had gotten charged. 

For some reason TNT skipped over It's Raining Men and Glare. Showing Mindhunters instead. That's such a good episode. I wish they had been able to get George. John Billingsley did a great job was smart but creepy murdering psycho George. He was so good at getting under all the detectives skin. I like that he got the information from reading police reports. That's a good way to get information that most people wouldn't guess. No wonder he went undetected for so long. The park ranger was kind of an idiot. He assumes George is poaching but George was creepy and he didn't even say anything. 

• Love 1