Type keyword(s) to search

Cold Case - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Does anyone know anywhere where I can watch the show? Netflix, Amazon, nor anyone that I can find actually carries the series, which I find very odd! And the episodes on YouTube have either been removed or severely distorted. Help!

• Love 2

Music licensing costs are the stumbling block, which is frustrating because this show was produced when future needs were known.  It was in syndication for a long while (TNT and then ION), but this many years removed the price tag - with original music - may be forever too high, and that's the issue with DVDs.  It's up there with Murphy Brown and The Wonder Years on the Shows With a Shit Ton of Music list, but those two have the excuse of not knowing during negotiations for the original clearance what was ahead.  Murphy Brown only had its first season released on DVD; sales didn't justify paying the music clearance costs for future seasons.  The Wonder Years was ultimately released in full on DVD, but with about a quarter of the music replaced.

So, I don't think we'll ever see this on DVD, and even future syndication - at least intact - is iffy.  And questionable online uploads will continue not to last long.

• Love 5
On 5/17/2018 at 9:19 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

It sucks that costs are so high in that regard. I miss seeing the show in syndication as well.

Well, you're in luck, as come this fall, it will be on a new cable channel called SmartTV. I don't know the schedule, there was just an ad I saw on the TV at the gym.

I'm looking forward to it. I loved this show, even though the last two seasons were weak.

• Love 3

For some reason I thought the Nirvana episode was the one with the suspected teen suicide who worshipped Kurt so assumed they couldn’t clear the music rights, so was surprised that the Nirvana episode was actually the West Memphis 3 or rather Philly 2 episode and the music remained.

• Love 1

I just found this board! So glad that I found this site! I was so thrilled when I saw that Start TV was playing this. I missed the first few episodes of season one but if it cycles back I will def rewatch them. This is one of my all time favorite shows ever. On thing that has been annoying me in seasons 6 and 7 is the storyline with Lilly and her Dad. They act like Nikki doesn't exist. I mean love her or hate her she was Lilly's sister and a huge plot point and unless I missed something when she speaks to her Dad I never see Nikki mentioned.

• Love 1

I'd totally forgotten about Lilly's special-needs pet cats! Just watching an episode I'd DVRed where she has a love interest back to her place and he calls one of the cats a mutant and the other (missing a leg) "tripod." Yet I think she kept seeing him?

Edited by MarylandGirl
  • Love 1

I just watched "A Dollar, A Dream"  There was what appeared to be a very young Jennifer Lawrence in this episode.  I looked it up and sure enough she is in the episode.  EXCEPT she is playing the older version of the sister instead of the actress that she's the spitting image of!  Cold Case is pretty good most of the time and getting look a likes to play the older versions of people.  but this time, I can't believe they wouldn't take advantage of the uncanny likeness of these two actresses and and instead cast her as someone else.

• Love 4
On 12/1/2018 at 12:01 PM, SuzieQ said:

I just watched "A Dollar, A Dream"  There was what appeared to be a very young Jennifer Lawrence in this episode.  I looked it up and sure enough she is in the episode.  EXCEPT she is playing the older version of the sister instead of the actress that she's the spitting image of!  Cold Case is pretty good most of the time and getting look a likes to play the older versions of people.  but this time, I can't believe they wouldn't take advantage of the uncanny likeness of these two actresses and and instead cast her as someone else.

That's interesting, I didn't remember her being on this show, but A Dollar, A Dream was never one of my favorite episodes.

I'd totally forgotten about Lilly's special-needs pet cats! Just watching an episode I'd DVRed where she has a love interest back to her place and he calls one of the cats a mutant and the other (missing a leg) "tripod." Yet I think she kept seeing him?

I remember when she told Stillman that her [one-eyed] cat got attacked by a neighbor dog and was NOT amused when he joked "did he get the other eye?", lol. I always liked that little detail of her personal life.

I was so excited to run across Cold Case on TV the other day, some channel called "Start Tv." I have recordings of seasons 1-5, but have never been able to catch seasons 6-7 so hopefully those will roll around soon! It recorded Superstar and Willkomen today, so they are the end of season 3 right now, I think.

• Love 2

I just rewatched the slew of episodes where Scotty was urging his brother to testify against the boxing coach who'd molested him when he was a boy. It's remarkable that the actor who played Kid Scotty nailed those little head nods that Adult Scotty was always doing.

• Love 2
On 1/25/2019 at 6:47 PM, MarylandGirl said:

Ways to get killed on Cold Case:
Threaten to go to the cops/report someone

Say that you're better than someone

Others?

Be a woman "ahead of her time" who wants to be more than a housewife? I can't even count how many of those storylines they've had.

I'm FINALLY getting to see seasons 6 and 7, my DVR is heaving with Cold Case episodes. One thing that stands out is the cheesier one-liners in the cold open, just before the theme song starts. They always did puns and stuff, but it seems more heavy-handed.

Also not a huge fan of the increased personal life stuff with all the detectives. A few minor threads woven in here and there are okay, but they definitely ramped it up toward the end of the series. I really don't think it was necessary, they had a nice hook and a niche within the very, very crowded field of crime dramas with period piece element. I really didn't need ongoing storylines among the detectives, I was happy with each individual case and the flashbacks.

My favorites are always the ones set far back, regardless of how far-fetched it was to reopen such old cases. I'm always bummed with the date flashes up and it's somewhere in the 2000s. 

• Love 4
On 2/21/2019 at 4:00 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I'm always bummed with the date flashes up and it's somewhere in the 2000s

I hated that. What's the point of the "Then & Now" flashes of the characters when there's been barely any change? Not to mention that the older episodes were more likely to tackle the major social issues of the time.

I didn't like all the personal stuff in Season 7 either. Not because it was necessarily bad--Scotty's search for his mother's assailant was very  moving--but because it went on too long. And then the show got cancelled so all of it got nixed!

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Camille said:

I hated that. What's the point of the "Then & Now" flashes of the characters when there's been barely any change? Not to mention that the older episodes were more likely to tackle the major social issues of the time.

I didn't like all the personal stuff in Season 7 either. Not because it was necessarily bad--Scotty's search for his mother's assailant was very  moving--but because it went on too long. And then the show got cancelled so all of it got nixed!

The one recent case that I liked was when they reopened the triple murder case that Lilly had been working on when she got pulled off it to investigate the cold case in the very first episode. It worked as a tie-in, but in general, the more recent episodes are the ones that I find least interesting.

The personal stuff also seemed to increasingly include them flagrantly ignoring the law and falsely alibi-ing each other when they went on vigilante rampages. Scotty giving a fake alibi for Lilly when the guy who ran her car off the road got shot, Lilly offering to do the same when Scotty tore up the guy who attacked his mom, Lilly ordering the cops to stop investigating when Vera crashed his car in a DUI, etc. It was just too much.

In a lot of the earlier episodes, the very minor personal life threads worked for me, like Lilly's mom, Scotty's gf's suicide, and Nick's marriage breaking up. Those were always just a few moments per episode and the case took up the rest of the time.

• Love 3

I always thought this show had the right amount of personL stuff.  I always hated cop shows that refused to tell us who the cops investigating crimes were.  Why should I care when you get axe murdered if I don’t know who you are?  I know more about the dude who killed you god damn it!!!!  Anywhoo Cold Case put the right amount of personal info in without making it all about them.   

I usually didn’t like episodes that went too far into the past.  Except for Best Friends and the Episode where the female reporter got murdered after WW2.    I preferred cases more recent like the kid one step away from juvey who witnessed his mother’s murder as a baby.   Or the kidnapped women case where they found the kidnapper with a woman still missing.  Those kind of cases had more at stake fore.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
On 2/26/2019 at 2:58 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I always thought this show had the right amount of personL stuff.  I always hated cop shows that refused to tell us who the cops investigating crimes were.  Why should I care when you get axe murdered if I don’t know who you are?  I know more about the dude who killed you god damn it!!!!  Anywhoo Cold Case put the right amount of personal info in without making it all about them.   

I usually didn’t like episodes that went too far into the past.  Except for Best Friends and the Episode where the female reporter got murdered after WW2.    I preferred cases more recent like the kid one step away from juvey who witnessed his mother’s murder as a baby.   Or the kidnapped women case where they found the kidnapper with a woman still missing.  Those kind of cases had more at stake fore.

In the earlier seasons, I felt like we got an idea of who the cops were, but it didn't overwhelm the story. Seasons 6 and 7 changed it up and it felt heavy-handed. Every one of the detectives (except for Jeffries) suddenly had a personal storyline. Not sure why Will was left out of the rush to personalize everyone.

As for the more recent cases, I feel like I could get that from any of the gazillion cop shows out there. I watched this one for the costumes and period settings, so the older ones were much more interesting to me.

Finishing up the series now, I'm curious, did they know they were cancelled when they filmed the last episode? I'm just about to watch the very last episode, wondering if they will wrap anything up or if they thought they were coming back. 

I just found this board! So glad that I found this site! I was so thrilled when I saw that Start TV was playing this. I missed the first few episodes of season one but if it cycles back I will def rewatch them. This is one of my all time favorite shows ever. On thing that has been annoying me in seasons 6 and 7 is the storyline with Lilly and her Dad. They act like Nikki doesn't exist. I mean love her or hate her she was Lilly's sister and a huge plot point and unless I missed something when she speaks to her Dad I never see Nikki mentioned.

Do you mean Christina? She shows back up in the last 2 episodes, she's at Lilly's dad's house when Lilly comes over and then there's a whole storyline about her. 

Unpopular opinion, but I kind of liked Christina. She was a believable hot mess.

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Love 2

Start TV is playing Season 1 and over the last few days had some of my favorite season 1 episodes.  Episodes 2-6  were a string of really good episodes.  The show did right by putting five really good episodes in a row.    I think Fly Away 1.8 was the first episode of the season 1 didn't like.   "Churchgoing People" and "Love Conquers Al" and "A Time To Hate"  Were all really well done stories that had really good endings.  I loved the ending of Love Conquers Al.  The story of a high school track star who gets murdered in 1981 and when Lily Rush and Gang (This is Scotty's first episode FYI) start to investigate her death they come in contact with a couple of high school sweet hearts.  The way the episode finally ended was actually kind of beautiful in a sad sad way.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5
On 2/27/2019 at 7:18 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Finishing up the series now, I'm curious, did they know they were cancelled when they filmed the last episode? I'm just about to watch the very last episode, wondering if they will wrap anything up or if they thought they were coming back. 

I don't think they did, because throughout the season, right until the very end, TPTB introduced a lot of interesting personal and professional threads that were all left hanging. I can't imagine they would have done that had they known the show was going to get the ax.

• Love 3
On 2/27/2019 at 6:18 PM, ljenkins782 said:

In the earlier seasons, I felt like we got an idea of who the cops were, but it didn't overwhelm the story. Seasons 6 and 7 changed it up and it felt heavy-handed. Every one of the detectives (except for Jeffries) suddenly had a personal storyline. Not sure why Will was left out of the rush to personalize everyone.

I agree.  There were personal stories throughout the series but usually it was limited to one at a time.  Having watched the end of season 7, it was about 2/3 personal story and 1/3 mystery investigation. 

On 2/27/2019 at 6:44 PM, Chaos Theory said:

The way the episode finally ended was actually kind of beautiful in a sad sad way.

I love that episode but they were so twisted. 

• Love 2

Does anyone know why in last season in every episode since third are missing Vera, Jeffries or Miller? I found this somewhat distracting like where did they disappear and honestly it bothered me. Which is unfortunate because i really like Cold Case.

• Love 1
Just now, snebka said:

Does anyone know why in last season in every episode since third are missing Vera, Jeffries or Miller?

As I recall, the show was getting more expensive to produce than the ratings justified by then, so they rotated the actors out as a cost-saving measure.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

As I recall, the show was getting more expensive to produce than the ratings justified by then, so they rotated the actors out as a cost-saving measure.

Oh ok thank you. I was at the end of sixth season pretty sad there is only one left but now i really don't enjoying the last season. I always liked these little bits mainly between Vera and Jeffries (and also Miller) during episodes and now is somewhat just case and a side story of Rush and Velens.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, snebka said:

I was at the end of sixth season pretty sad there is only one left but now i really don't enjoying the last season.

I haven't seen the show since ION quit airing it (I don't get StartTV or wherever it's airing now), but I remember season seven being a bit weak compared to the others.  I did really like the episodes "WASP" and "Two Weddings" though.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

If anyone here owns a Roku device (as I do), I got the usual "What's New" weekly Roku e-mail, and both Major Case and Cold Case are streaming for free on The Roku Channel.

I think you mean Major Crimes.

My parents have a Roku stick, I think, and I'll be at their house next week.  I have Major Crimes on DVD and watch it in syndication every weekend, but haven't seen Cold Case since ION stopped airing it since I don't get whatever station has it in syndication.  So, yay, I will watch some of my favorite episodes.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I think you mean Major Crimes.

My parents have a Roku stick, I think, and I'll be at their house next week.  I have Major Crimes on DVD and watch it in syndication every weekend, but haven't seen Cold Case since ION stopped airing it since I don't get whatever station has it in syndication.  So, yay, I will watch some of my favorite episodes.

I do. Thanks. Will edit!

• Love 1
On 11/2/2019 at 7:10 PM, WendyCR72 said:

If anyone here owns a Roku device (as I do), I got the usual "What's New" weekly Roku e-mail, and both Major Crimes and Cold Case are streaming for free on The Roku Channel.

Whoa, that’s awesome, thanks for sharing! I have some of the series on DVDs taped from tv, but they’re scratchy and the ones I have on my DVR are only watchable downstairs. Will be nice to be able to pop on a cold case before bed sometimes.

• Love 2

I only have Roku access when staying at my parents' house, and they don't travel as much this time of year, but they're gone this week so while spending every other night at their house I've watched a bunch of season one episodes (the Roku stick is how they access Netflix on the bedroom TV, so I added the Roku channel - which none of us even knew existed).  Although I'd watched the series all the way through several times on ION (I still miss those Friday night marathons), it has been since then that I've seen it and had forgotten more than I would have anticipated (ah, the joys of getting older).

It's a good season; a little uneven, but strong for a first season.  And "Lover's Lane" is a really good season finale; Mark still being obsessed with the notion a teenage romance would have been permanent and had Eve lived they'd be chilling as anti-establishment artists in Paris is pathetic, and his transference to Lily creepy, yes, but when you think of how traumatic it would have been for his girlfriend to be raped and murdered in an attack he couldn't stop, you can see how that haunting him would skew his thought processes and accept it for what it is.

Especially because he's almost incidental to me; I like Eve, and love two incredibly poignant moments with secondary/tertiary characters.  One, when the guy who was wrongly convicted and imprisoned for nearly 20 years for the rape/murder tells Scotty after being exonerated by DNA, "I was a young man when I went in, like you".  So simple, but says so much.  And, second, something I've remembered since the first time I saw it, when Carrie asks "what do you think happened?" and perfectly responds to the stupid question of why she didn't report being raped by Wayne's father by imitating what that conversation would have been like:  "Mom, can we call the cops?  Because I got drunk with some guy and then his dad said to come into his room." 

I only have tomorrow night left for now, so we'll see how many season two favorites I can get through.  Or maybe I'll skip ahead and revisit highlights from all seasons.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I only have Roku access when staying at my parents' house, and they don't travel as much this time of year, but they're gone this week so while spending every other night at their house I've watched a bunch of season one episodes (the Roku stick is how they access Netflix on the bedroom TV, so I added the Roku channel - which none of us even knew existed).  Although I'd watched the series all the way through several times on ION (I still miss those Friday night marathons), it has been since then that I've seen it and had forgotten more than I would have anticipated (ah, the joys of getting older).

It's a good season; a little uneven, but strong for a first season.  And "Lover's Lane" is a really good season finale; Mark still being obsessed with the notion a teenage romance would have been permanent and had Eve lived they'd be chilling as anti-establishment artists in Paris is pathetic, and his transference to Lily creepy, yes, but when you think of how traumatic it would have been for his girlfriend to be raped and murdered in an attack he couldn't stop, you can see how that haunting him would skew his thought processes and accept it for what it is.

Especially because he's almost incidental to me; I like Eve, and love two incredibly poignant moments with secondary/tertiary characters.  One, when the guy who was wrongly convicted and imprisoned for nearly 20 years for the rape/murder tells Scotty after being exonerated by DNA, "I was a young man when I went in, like you".  So simple, but says so much.  And, second, something I've remembered since the first time I saw it, when Carrie asks "what do you think happened?" and perfectly responds to the stupid question of why she didn't report being raped by Wayne's father by imitating what that conversation would have been like:  "Mom, can we call the cops?  Because I got drunk with some guy and then his dad said to come into his room." 

I only have tomorrow night left for now, so we'll see how many season two favorites I can get through.  Or maybe I'll skip ahead and revisit highlights from all seasons.

Maybe you have no need for it, but Roku devices/sticks are rather cheap now. Especially this time of year!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Maybe you have no need for it, but Roku devices/sticks are rather cheap now.

No, I don't, but Cold Case does make it tempting, since it will never be released on DVD thanks to music licensing costs.  Next time the series turns up in broadcast/cable syndication <fingers crossed>, I'm going to record it onto my own DVDs.  I'm so irritated I didn't do that before.

• Love 2

I wonder if reruns of this show will ever come back on? I used to watch it on ION, it was a unique show with how they did the flashbacks, they always did a good job depicting the past and various issues of those eras as well as using the music from those eras, that was always well done and a cool feature.

There were some major flaws to the show, mainly in that if the detectives from the past were at all competent most of these cases would’ve been solved at the time, and how witnesses remembered every detail of stuff that happened years ago. Also, this show overdid the melodrama sometimes, sometimes it seemed like they just wanted to make the viewers cry by having one awful thing after another happen to the most likable people. And I disliked all of the personal stuff that started to dominate the later seasons. But for all of its flaws I did enjoy the show, particularly for the flashbacks and depictions of various parts of history, it made it different from other procedurals. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I wonder if reruns of this show will ever come back on? I used to watch it on ION, it was a unique show with how they did the flashbacks, they always did a good job depicting the past and various issues of those eras as well as using the music from those eras, that was always well done and a cool feature.

There were some major flaws to the show, mainly in that if the detectives from the past were at all competent most of these cases would’ve been solved at the time, and how witnesses remembered every detail of stuff that happened years ago. Also, this show overdid the melodrama sometimes, sometimes it seemed like they just wanted to make the viewers cry by having one awful thing after another happen to the most likable people. And I disliked all of the personal stuff that started to dominate the later seasons. But for all of its flaws I did enjoy the show, particularly for the flashbacks and depictions of various parts of history, it made it different from other procedurals. 

If you have a Roku device, the entire series now streams for free on The Roku Channel.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

The main reason I only like a handful of crime dramas in the history of television is how they normalize and glorify shitty behavior by the police, and the second is that, as a lawyer (even though civil, not criminal), I have a hard time setting aside numerous "That's now it works!" objections in the name of dramatic license, but the third big issue - that would be the second if not for my profession - is the lack of character development.  So my ideal crime dramas - Cagney & Lacey and Major Crimes - avoid both problems, but I can occasionally go with one that has one fundamental problem but avoids the other, especially when what's avoided is the celebration of bad policing. 

Cold Case falls in that category for me; the personal storylines almost universally sucked, but the cases generally were solved in line with the law and civilian ethics.  For me, the two big flaws were, like you said, the accuracy of witness's long ago memories (when in reality even recent eyewitness accounts are among the most unreliable of evidence, despite popular reliance on them) and also - perhaps especially - the frequency with which detectives would learn something from one witness and say to each other, in that witness's presence, about another witness, essentially, "That blows So-and-So's story out of the water."  You don't do that!  It's a genre-wide problem, but among the small percentage I watched with any regularity, this show seemed a prime offender.

But, bottom line, it still makes my tiny list.  And if I ever get the chance to record it again, I will.

• Love 3
On 11/13/2019 at 8:44 PM, Xeliou66 said:

2 hours a day, 3-5 PM, seven days a week on START TV. On my cable menu START is still listed as KCBS2

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Cold Case just cycled back to season 1 again on START,   It’s amazing how good the first season is if you can get past a couple necessary tropes.   The biggest being the long memories of the people being interviewed.   But that for me was always just part of the storytelling aspect of the show and something I could easily handwave.   The better and more interesting the story the easier it was for me to handwave it.   The first half of season one was incredible.    Lily Rush was probably at her most likable before the show decided to break all the characters like most shows do.  I loved the way Rush described Vera to a rape victim in  “Our Boy is Back.”     “He only looks like a Neanderthal.”   That’s something I remembered through the show and kinda pictured him throughout.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'm so glad START is on Spectrum now.  Now they're on season 2.

The last time I watched this show was in 2008.  I know I've seen every episode, I used to tape them (that's right tape them) when this show was on TNT.  That said, every episode seems new to me, kind of like Law and Order.

Last week they showed, "Sleepover" from season 2 and it's just as relevant as it was when it originally aired.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1
On 6/21/2020 at 4:01 PM, Neurochick said:

I'm so glad START is on Spectrum now.  Now they're on season 2.

The last time I watched this show was in 2008.  I know I've seen every episode, I used to tape them (that's right tape them) when this show was on TNT.  That said, every episode seems new to me, kind of like Law and Order.

Last week they showed, "Sleepover" from season 2 and it's just as relevant as it was when it originally aired.

ETA,

I just saw my most favorite episode, "Best Friends" (with a young Tessa Thompson) and the worst one, "The Woods."  Dumb ass serial killer from an earlier episode.  He walked because Lil couldn't get him to confess.   I was like, "if that guy was black, they would have killed him the second he left the precinct."  I mean it was 2005, no cameras, no smart phones.

• Love 1

I watched the first 2 seasons during its original run. Even now, whenever I see the ending montage of A Time to Hate, it makes me tear up. When this show was good, it was good. 

A couple years ago on a flight to Tokyo, I discovered that Japan did a remake of Cold Case. I really enjoyed how they tailored the storylines to make them relevant to their own culture/history. The victim in the remake of The Letter was an ethnically Korean woman with whom a Japanese man falls in love in post-WW2 Japan and the episode was every bit as compelling and heartbreaking as the original. They also did the sleepover episode, the Boy in the Box, and the mom who jumped out of a building with her daughter to get away from the abusive social worker. I was a sobbing mess by the time I landed. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Watching the episode "Offender" reminded me of why this show sucks.  A network like FX or TNT wouldn't have minded the dad who was accused of raping and killing his son, push the pedo off the roof.  That might have been wrong, but a non-lame network wouldn't have allowed such a lame-o ending.

ETA:  I know it's not Christian and it's not PC but...there it is.

Edited by Neurochick