Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Cold Case

jaytee1812 For anyone in the UK, Cold Case is being repeated Mon-Fri 7-8 on Sky Atlantic.

...it's also showing weekdays on Freeview (Now TV) 9-10am & repeated in the evenings. Lilly's just killed George Marks (25/2/2016)

I know this sounds silly...but I always liked waiting until the final moments of each episode, to see who the victim's ghost would give the nod of understanding/redemption/forgiveness to.

• Like 9

Does anyone know anywhere where I can watch the show? Netflix, Amazon, nor anyone that I can find actually carries the series, which I find very odd! And the episodes on YouTube have either been removed or severely distorted. Help!

• Like 1

Music licensing costs are the stumbling block, which is frustrating because this show was produced when future needs were known.  It was in syndication for a long while (TNT and then ION), but this many years removed the price tag - with original music - may be forever too high, and that's the issue with DVDs.  It's up there with Murphy Brown and The Wonder Years on the Shows With a Shit Ton of Music list, but those two have the excuse of not knowing during negotiations for the original clearance what was ahead.  Murphy Brown only had its first season released on DVD; sales didn't justify paying the music clearance costs for future seasons.  The Wonder Years was ultimately released in full on DVD, but with about a quarter of the music replaced.

So, I don't think we'll ever see this on DVD, and even future syndication - at least intact - is iffy.  And questionable online uploads will continue not to last long.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2018 at 9:19 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

It sucks that costs are so high in that regard. I miss seeing the show in syndication as well.

Well, you're in luck, as come this fall, it will be on a new cable channel called SmartTV. I don't know the schedule, there was just an ad I saw on the TV at the gym.

I'm looking forward to it. I loved this show, even though the last two seasons were weak.

• Like 2

Crap; I checked the "Where to Watch" on the channel's website, and I don't get it.  Time to start lobbying Dish Network to carry it -- I need a Cold Case fix!

For some reason I thought the Nirvana episode was the one with the suspected teen suicide who worshipped Kurt so assumed they couldn’t clear the music rights, so was surprised that the Nirvana episode was actually the West Memphis 3 or rather Philly 2 episode and the music remained.

I just found this board! So glad that I found this site! I was so thrilled when I saw that Start TV was playing this. I missed the first few episodes of season one but if it cycles back I will def rewatch them. This is one of my all time favorite shows ever. On thing that has been annoying me in seasons 6 and 7 is the storyline with Lilly and her Dad. They act like Nikki doesn't exist. I mean love her or hate her she was Lilly's sister and a huge plot point and unless I missed something when she speaks to her Dad I never see Nikki mentioned.

I'd totally forgotten about Lilly's special-needs pet cats! Just watching an episode I'd DVRed where she has a love interest back to her place and he calls one of the cats a mutant and the other (missing a leg) "tripod." Yet I think she kept seeing him?

Edited by MarylandGirl

I just watched "A Dollar, A Dream"  There was what appeared to be a very young Jennifer Lawrence in this episode.  I looked it up and sure enough she is in the episode.  EXCEPT she is playing the older version of the sister instead of the actress that she's the spitting image of!  Cold Case is pretty good most of the time and getting look a likes to play the older versions of people.  but this time, I can't believe they wouldn't take advantage of the uncanny likeness of these two actresses and and instead cast her as someone else.

• Like 3

On 12/1/2018 at 12:01 PM, SuzieQ said:

I just watched "A Dollar, A Dream"  There was what appeared to be a very young Jennifer Lawrence in this episode.  I looked it up and sure enough she is in the episode.  EXCEPT she is playing the older version of the sister instead of the actress that she's the spitting image of!  Cold Case is pretty good most of the time and getting look a likes to play the older versions of people.  but this time, I can't believe they wouldn't take advantage of the uncanny likeness of these two actresses and and instead cast her as someone else.

That's interesting, I didn't remember her being on this show, but A Dollar, A Dream was never one of my favorite episodes.

I'd totally forgotten about Lilly's special-needs pet cats! Just watching an episode I'd DVRed where she has a love interest back to her place and he calls one of the cats a mutant and the other (missing a leg) "tripod." Yet I think she kept seeing him?

I remember when she told Stillman that her [one-eyed] cat got attacked by a neighbor dog and was NOT amused when he joked "did he get the other eye?", lol. I always liked that little detail of her personal life.

I was so excited to run across Cold Case on TV the other day, some channel called "Start Tv." I have recordings of seasons 1-5, but have never been able to catch seasons 6-7 so hopefully those will roll around soon! It recorded Superstar and Willkomen today, so they are the end of season 3 right now, I think.

• Like 1

I just rewatched the slew of episodes where Scotty was urging his brother to testify against the boxing coach who'd molested him when he was a boy. It's remarkable that the actor who played Kid Scotty nailed those little head nods that Adult Scotty was always doing.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 6:47 PM, MarylandGirl said:

Ways to get killed on Cold Case:
Threaten to go to the cops/report someone

Say that you're better than someone

Others?

Be a woman "ahead of her time" who wants to be more than a housewife? I can't even count how many of those storylines they've had.

I'm FINALLY getting to see seasons 6 and 7, my DVR is heaving with Cold Case episodes. One thing that stands out is the cheesier one-liners in the cold open, just before the theme song starts. They always did puns and stuff, but it seems more heavy-handed.

Also not a huge fan of the increased personal life stuff with all the detectives. A few minor threads woven in here and there are okay, but they definitely ramped it up toward the end of the series. I really don't think it was necessary, they had a nice hook and a niche within the very, very crowded field of crime dramas with period piece element. I really didn't need ongoing storylines among the detectives, I was happy with each individual case and the flashbacks.

My favorites are always the ones set far back, regardless of how far-fetched it was to reopen such old cases. I'm always bummed with the date flashes up and it's somewhere in the 2000s. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2019 at 4:00 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I'm always bummed with the date flashes up and it's somewhere in the 2000s

I hated that. What's the point of the "Then & Now" flashes of the characters when there's been barely any change? Not to mention that the older episodes were more likely to tackle the major social issues of the time.

I didn't like all the personal stuff in Season 7 either. Not because it was necessarily bad--Scotty's search for his mother's assailant was very  moving--but because it went on too long. And then the show got cancelled so all of it got nixed!

20 hours ago, Camille said:

I hated that. What's the point of the "Then & Now" flashes of the characters when there's been barely any change? Not to mention that the older episodes were more likely to tackle the major social issues of the time.

I didn't like all the personal stuff in Season 7 either. Not because it was necessarily bad--Scotty's search for his mother's assailant was very  moving--but because it went on too long. And then the show got cancelled so all of it got nixed!

The one recent case that I liked was when they reopened the triple murder case that Lilly had been working on when she got pulled off it to investigate the cold case in the very first episode. It worked as a tie-in, but in general, the more recent episodes are the ones that I find least interesting.

The personal stuff also seemed to increasingly include them flagrantly ignoring the law and falsely alibi-ing each other when they went on vigilante rampages. Scotty giving a fake alibi for Lilly when the guy who ran her car off the road got shot, Lilly offering to do the same when Scotty tore up the guy who attacked his mom, Lilly ordering the cops to stop investigating when Vera crashed his car in a DUI, etc. It was just too much.

In a lot of the earlier episodes, the very minor personal life threads worked for me, like Lilly's mom, Scotty's gf's suicide, and Nick's marriage breaking up. Those were always just a few moments per episode and the case took up the rest of the time.

• Like 2

I always thought this show had the right amount of personL stuff.  I always hated cop shows that refused to tell us who the cops investigating crimes were.  Why should I care when you get axe murdered if I don’t know who you are?  I know more about the dude who killed you god damn it!!!!  Anywhoo Cold Case put the right amount of personal info in without making it all about them.   

I usually didn’t like episodes that went too far into the past.  Except for Best Friends and the Episode where the female reporter got murdered after WW2.    I preferred cases more recent like the kid one step away from juvey who witnessed his mother’s murder as a baby.   Or the kidnapped women case where they found the kidnapper with a woman still missing.  Those kind of cases had more at stake fore.

Edited by Chaos Theory

On 2/26/2019 at 2:58 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I always thought this show had the right amount of personL stuff.  I always hated cop shows that refused to tell us who the cops investigating crimes were.  Why should I care when you get axe murdered if I don’t know who you are?  I know more about the dude who killed you god damn it!!!!  Anywhoo Cold Case put the right amount of personal info in without making it all about them.   

I usually didn’t like episodes that went too far into the past.  Except for Best Friends and the Episode where the female reporter got murdered after WW2.    I preferred cases more recent like the kid one step away from juvey who witnessed his mother’s murder as a baby.   Or the kidnapped women case where they found the kidnapper with a woman still missing.  Those kind of cases had more at stake fore.

In the earlier seasons, I felt like we got an idea of who the cops were, but it didn't overwhelm the story. Seasons 6 and 7 changed it up and it felt heavy-handed. Every one of the detectives (except for Jeffries) suddenly had a personal storyline. Not sure why Will was left out of the rush to personalize everyone.

As for the more recent cases, I feel like I could get that from any of the gazillion cop shows out there. I watched this one for the costumes and period settings, so the older ones were much more interesting to me.

Finishing up the series now, I'm curious, did they know they were cancelled when they filmed the last episode? I'm just about to watch the very last episode, wondering if they will wrap anything up or if they thought they were coming back. 

I just found this board! So glad that I found this site! I was so thrilled when I saw that Start TV was playing this. I missed the first few episodes of season one but if it cycles back I will def rewatch them. This is one of my all time favorite shows ever. On thing that has been annoying me in seasons 6 and 7 is the storyline with Lilly and her Dad. They act like Nikki doesn't exist. I mean love her or hate her she was Lilly's sister and a huge plot point and unless I missed something when she speaks to her Dad I never see Nikki mentioned.

Do you mean Christina? She shows back up in the last 2 episodes, she's at Lilly's dad's house when Lilly comes over and then there's a whole storyline about her. 

Unpopular opinion, but I kind of liked Christina. She was a believable hot mess.

Edited by ljenkins782

Start TV is playing Season 1 and over the last few days had some of my favorite season 1 episodes.  Episodes 2-6  were a string of really good episodes.  The show did right by putting five really good episodes in a row.    I think Fly Away 1.8 was the first episode of the season 1 didn't like.   "Churchgoing People" and "Love Conquers Al" and "A Time To Hate"  Were all really well done stories that had really good endings.  I loved the ending of Love Conquers Al.  The story of a high school track star who gets murdered in 1981 and when Lily Rush and Gang (This is Scotty's first episode FYI) start to investigate her death they come in contact with a couple of high school sweet hearts.  The way the episode finally ended was actually kind of beautiful in a sad sad way.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 3

On 2/27/2019 at 7:18 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Finishing up the series now, I'm curious, did they know they were cancelled when they filmed the last episode? I'm just about to watch the very last episode, wondering if they will wrap anything up or if they thought they were coming back. 

I don't think they did, because throughout the season, right until the very end, TPTB introduced a lot of interesting personal and professional threads that were all left hanging. I can't imagine they would have done that had they known the show was going to get the ax.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 6:18 PM, ljenkins782 said:

In the earlier seasons, I felt like we got an idea of who the cops were, but it didn't overwhelm the story. Seasons 6 and 7 changed it up and it felt heavy-handed. Every one of the detectives (except for Jeffries) suddenly had a personal storyline. Not sure why Will was left out of the rush to personalize everyone.

I agree.  There were personal stories throughout the series but usually it was limited to one at a time.  Having watched the end of season 7, it was about 2/3 personal story and 1/3 mystery investigation. 

On 2/27/2019 at 6:44 PM, Chaos Theory said:

The way the episode finally ended was actually kind of beautiful in a sad sad way.

I love that episode but they were so twisted. 

• Like 1