Type keyword(s) to search

Property Brothers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I really find all the fake banter on this show annoying.  It is FAKE banter, right? I certainly hope that actual grown men, wouldn't act so juvenile. All the fake competitive snarking, my muscles bigger than yours, etc.  It's so asinine.  A grown man walks into the back yard of a client couple and proceeds to kick their child's beach ball?  Really?  I just can't take them seriously.  Whether you do it for money, cause it's scripted or you really are that way......which is worse?  Ugh.....

Then yesterday I saw an episode, not sure if it's recent or not, about a couple who were almost as annoying as Drew and Jonathon.  They were a same sex couple who seemed to have nothing in common and liked to disagree whether they really disagreed or not.  They seemed ill matched and I can't imagine why they thought buying a house together would be a good idea.  Each time they appeared on screen, I cringed due to their incivility with each other.   So, sad.  Did the producers tell them to disagree like that or was it real?  WHY do producers think that is entertaining?  I just don't get it. 

• Love 3

Does anyone here still watch this show?  I turned on my television last night, and one of the brothers was talking about the extra high counter height on the kitchen island.  (It was a repeat episode that my guide said originally aired last March.)  I have always said that if I ever have a home built or renovate a kitchen, I am having raised counters in the kitchen.  The standard 36" is so low and kills my back, especially when doing dishes.  (And I'm not even as tall as the people on this episode.) 40-42 inches would make all the difference in the world.  They should really offer a choice of standard heights. 

I prefer all drawers on the bottom for easier access, including large drawers for pots and pans... so that should eliminate any issue with cabinet height.  I expect I will have to have a stovetop and a wall oven, rather than a typical standard stove... but I prefer that anyway.

I was so curious about the extra tall island, (and why they didn't do all the counters that height,) that I recorded the whole thing when it was rebroadcast later last night.  Drew (is that the design/carpenter one?) was complaining about it a lot, but they did seem to appreciate the benefits at the end of the episode.

They seemed like a nice couple.  She was beautiful and must have been at least six feet tall, and on a shallow note... I hated his mohawk.  When the rest of it was shaved, it looked like he was wearing a tiny hair hat.  Other than that though, he seemed like a great guy.  I'm glad they were so happy with how their home turned out.

I also recorded the other episode which was a repeat called Rustic Meets Modern Design.  It was a very narrow home, and had lots of white and neutrals, but I loved how it turned out.  It was so beautiful and serene, and still had a lot of texture and interest.   In the kitchen they used those white acrylic cabinets that are more common in Europe, which I've always found very appealing.  It may be because they still give that light and airy look, but aren't quite as ubiquitous as the typical shaker style that you see everywhere. 

I've always hated granite and loved quartz, so for years I have been hoping that quartz never catches on too much - so it won't get too expensive and eventually look dated.  It seems like the PB use it quite a bit.  I hope it doesn't become any more trendy than it already is.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Does anyone here still watch this show?

Yep and unlike the majority of posters, I love these two.  They act like brothers who are very close and I enjoy that plus they always seem so good with any kids on the show.  On the other hand, I don't like the same designs and a lot of the couples are obnoxious.  But it's good background viewing where I don't need to pay a lot of attention.

• Love 11

I like the brothers, especially when they're working with kids. As for counters, I'm 5'2" & my husband was 6'3", so when we remodeled our kitchen, he did a butcher block counter between the kitchen and dining room for his height, with a large pull-out cutting board that was just right for me. 

• Love 3

One thing that is always a mystery to me is the number of people that love those farmhouse sinks.  Unless you are a short person (like you, Nysha) they are horrible back breaking to use because they are so deep.  Another trend that is forced on us by designers with no thought to practicality. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

One thing that is always a mystery to me is the number of people that love those farmhouse sinks.  Unless you are a short person (like you, Nysha) they are horrible back breaking to use because they are so deep.  Another trend that is forced on us by designers with no thought to practicality. 

Oh no!   I've been thinking how much better they are because they are closer to your body, so you might not have to lean over as much.  I never even thought of the depth aspect of it.  Now I have to scratch that off my dream kitchen list. 

Maybe I will compromise, in the interest of resale to the vertically challenged, and have the sink in the island and just raise that up higher.  I could use it for prep work and leave the stove at standard height.  (Maybe include a pull out step at the bottom, in front of the sink.  I think I saw something like that on a design show once.)

Anyway... that's what was so surprising to me about the couple on PB who had the island raised.  It only had a small sink for washing their veggies while the larger dish-washing sink was the typical low height.  I would have made the veggie sink the large one so I could wash the dishes there, if I were them.  Having to bend over to wash dishes is the worst!!

• Love 1

I really wish they would tell us what city they are in.

I do, too, especially since home prices in Canada are significantly higher than in the US.  And in the big cities, it's outright astounding!  I couldn't afford a garage in Vancouver.

For anyone with Directv (and maybe other providers) you may want to double-check your DVR to make sure it is picking up the new episodes starting on April 19. For some reason, at least for now, this season is listed under Property Brothers -- Buying and Selling and my DVR was not showing the new episodes under either of the old titles, Property Brothers: Buying and Selling or just plain old Buying and Selling. I had to subscribe to the new title (Property Brothers -- Buying and Selling) in order for my DVR to add the new shows to my To Be Recorded list. Annoying!

I *hate* farmhouse sinks. I don't find them appealing at all and they remind me of laundry sinks in a mudroom.

I love the brothers, in all of their shows. I don't care if everything is fake; it's entertaining and they seem like nice guys.

That said, must be nice to be Drew's fiancee; her job is being his personal assistant. Doesn't really seem like a job at all; I would assume their production company does all of the real work.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:58 PM, Peanutbuttercup said:

had to subscribe to the new title (Property Brothers -- Buying and Selling) in order for my DVR to add the new shows to my To Be Recorded list. Annoying!

What do you mean by "subscribe" to the new title?  I have DirecTV too, and it never records new shows. In fact, when I look at "first aired" info, it always states several months earlier, even though I KNOW it's a new episode. Strangely, this is the only show that's "off" when it comes to new episodes.

9 hours ago, MsTree said:

What do you mean by "subscribe" to the new title?  I have DirecTV too, and it never records new shows. In fact, when I look at "first aired" info, it always states several months earlier, even though I KNOW it's a new episode.

I just meant to instruct the DVR to record the series. I've noticed that problem you mention for the main Property Brothers show and wondered about it myself. I think I decided that it must mean that it airs first on some obscure Canadian cable channel or something. But Buying & Selling does seem to have, for me, accurate "first aired" dates. Just not the main Property Brothers.

Peanutbuttercup, what you suggested (airing first in Canada) makes a lot of sense. Too bad our DVRs don't recognize this show in the US as "first aired". At least you get a "first aired" for Buying & Selling. I don't, so I just wind up recording it manually.  

I've watched a couple of episodes of Buying and Selling this morning.  In the first episode, the people bought a house that needed to be renovated and paid almost $1.3 million.  They absolutely refused to move from their current neighborhood to an area where they could get more house for their money and not have to renovate.

In the second episode, Danielle and Steve are the homeowners.  Danielle is completely emotionally attached to the house in general but in particular to the tiles in the entry because her kids took their first steps on those tiles.

I have to admit that I don't understand the homeowners in either of these episodes.  If you can get more for your money and still have good schools, why not do it?   And I've NEVER had any kind of emotional attachment to a house.  Am I the one who is out of step?

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, MsProudSooner said:

Am I the one who is out of step?

I admit I'm with you. I lived on one home for 30 years, another for 34 years and am finally in my retirement house.  I liked both previous houses and there were a lot of memories in each but I didn't look back once I left.  Occasionally I might drive by just our of curiosity but I wouldn't stay in a place just because of the memories.  If you only look back you never move forward.  And I am truly now in my dream home.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, MsProudSooner said:

I've watched a couple of episodes of Buying and Selling this morning.  In the first episode, the people bought a house that needed to be renovated and paid almost $1.3 million.  They absolutely refused to move from their current neighborhood to an area where they could get more house for their money and not have to renovate.

In the second episode, Danielle and Steve are the homeowners.  Danielle is completely emotionally attached to the house in general but in particular to the tiles in the entry because her kids took their first steps on those tiles.

I have to admit that I don't understand the homeowners in either of these episodes.  If you can get more for your money and still have good schools, why not do it?   And I've NEVER had any kind of emotional attachment to a house.  Am I the one who is out of step?

Unless they were leaving the kids behind in the old house, I don't get the sentimentality, either.  Sure, I've had great memories in every house I've owned and I've certainly missed specific features (attached garage and screened porch to be specific), but, being attached to a house emotionally is just silly. 

As far as the kids taking their first steps in the old house, why not look forward to them walking out the door and off to college or their first apartment in the next house?  While it is great to live in a nice neighborhood with good schools and great neighbors; there are surely other just as nice neighborhoods and good schools and people elsewhere.  I really don't understand these parents who think their kids are such special snowflakes that they cannot possibly change schools or develop new friendships.  We moved 5 times when I was a kid, 4 of them while I was in school, necessitating a change, and I don't ever remember being asked my opinion and I managed just fine as did my 5 sibs.

• Love 1

Anyway... that's what was so surprising to me about the couple on PB who had the island raised.  It only had a small sink for washing their veggies while the larger dish-washing sink was the typical low height.  I would have made the veggie sink the large one so I could wash the dishes there, if I were them.  Having to bend over to wash dishes is the worst!!

I assume they have a dishwasher for that.

There was an episode on the other morning, a couple with a budget of $1.9 million.  So they bought some overpriced home and then were in a pinch because they just didn't have $2000 for some unexpected repair that needed to be made.  That just doesn't make sense to me.  If your budget is that big, surely you have money in the bank/stocks,etc to cash in for such an event. You're not buying big and then planning to exist on peanut butter sandwiches forever.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, cinsays said:

You're not buying big and then planning to exist on peanut butter sandwiches forever.

Except many of them do not seem to have the common sense to figure out that if you spend every dime on an overpriced, oversized, gaudy McMansion, you will not be able to a) furnish it, b) save any money for any other needs, c) pay for repairs or unexpected disasters, or d) act like you have a brain in your head.  They deserve peanut butter sandwiches.  Idiots.

• Love 3

I thought last night's episode was a nice change of pace.  So many episodes have featured houses and budgets nearing (or above!) a million.

It was also nice to finally see one of these shows using vinyl plank.

• Love 1

Just watched one episode where the family had 4 children, still in their starter home.  The brothers came in and said you have to clear out the stuff in the house.  The mom acted all whiney about it, so yeah then the four kids acted all sad and whiney.  First thing was to pare down how many stuffed animals they had.  She then had to hug the youngest, and told the dad to turn off the video.  I guess it was too traumatic (probably for her).  They got some stuff out, then one of the brothers went upstairs to a kid's bedroom, and still there was stuff in there.  They were redoing the hardwood floors so they looked like they all matched.  Couldn't do that with furniture in the room.  Mom:  I know, but this is soooooo hard on our kids.  Translation - hard on me.  

They wanted more room, a bedroom for each kid.  Their current home was cramped, so ok, you need more room.  700 to 800k budget.  I did not catch what area or city they were at.  They looked at house 1, which I thought was nice.  Six bedrooms, very traditional house.  No basement.  The entry way had several rooms to the sides.  A regular formal living area, dining, etc.  Nope, she wanted open concept.  I actually liked it, tired of the open concept everywhere.  Next house, new build with I think 5 bedrooms so, gasp, two kids would have to share a bedroom.  It was more open concept, but mom didn't think the yard was big enough.  Dad was fine with it.  Third house was large, everyone had their own bedroom and bath (I cannot even think about cleaning 6 baths!).  It had low ceiling and was very cut up.  More so than house 1.  Gave me claustrophobia, just through the tv.  Dad almost hit his head going into the dining room.  It had a larger yard, but part of it meandered in back of another property.  The current owners were renovating some parts, but smaller kitchen, closed off, each room had nasty carpet (and they couldn't have carpeting).  Other things needed fixing.  I just saw a money pit on that one.  It had a basement and attic, both unfinished.  

They get to making a decision on homes (they had been looking for YEARS as the dad describes it).  They eliminate house 1.  So down to #2 and #3.  Mom waffles back and forth, and dad says, oh guess she doesn't want to commit to one.  She nods yes to that.  He said enough is enough, we've been at this for 10 years, I'm calling the brothers, because I have to make the choice.  Mom tells him to hang up at least twice.  Basically she didn't want to leave their current house - just wanted to bitch about it being too small I guess.   They sell their current house for asking price - actually above.  Dad chose the new build.  Good job, dad.  I wouldn't have chosen #3 either.    Bet mom is now bitching about the new house.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the woman looking for funky rustic chic in Nashville.  The resulting master bathroom was gorgeous. They used trendy cement tiles, but in a beautiful blue pattern, and then the sink vanity coordinated with it.  She wanted to keep the clawfoot tub, so Jonathan tiled the entire area, put in a drain under the tub, and a glass wall to keep the water in, which I thought was really cool.

It's a shame that she couldn't have the windows replaced due to the structural issues.  I would have gone to the "bank of mom and dad" and begged for the money in order to have that done and not have to deal with it in the future.

1 hour ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I enjoyed the woman looking for funky rustic chic in Nashville. 

It's a shame that she couldn't have the windows replaced due to the structural issues.  I would have gone to the "bank of mom and dad" and begged for the money in order to have that done and not have to deal with it in the future.

I liked her sense of style (and her house at reveal was indeed gorgeous), but I got the feeling that she's kind of a lot to take IRL.

Like Jonathan said, replacing windows is not really that big of a deal, mess-wise.  I had every window in my old house (11, it was a townhouse) replaced in a single day (a single 33-degree day in APRIL...brrrrrr!).  It's usually really expensive, though, especially if you need custom sizing, which she probably would in that old house, so it was a good place to economize for the time being.  She can replace them in groups over the next few years, which is what I'm doing now in my new (to me) 90 year old home.  [Yeah, I replaced all the friggin' windows in the old place, then moved, only to have to start again.  Argh.]  I have to respect her for not going to mom and dad; that's what big girls who are able to afford $419K in house + improvements do :)

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 4

I liked the house from the outside, but I really didn't like the layout inside.  I appreciate folks who say they don't like the TV over the fireplace (I agree!), but then the furniture was still not arranged for the most comfortable TV-viewing!

I didn't mind the couple, and the kids were really cute.  I know they were in Canada (right?) ... I wish they would tell us exactly where.  Seems like a nice community.

• Love 1

I. Cannot. Stand. These. Two. Anymore.  Hate turning on HGTV and seeing a marathon of one of their seemingly hundreds of shows.  Cannot Stand Them.  That can't be said enough at this point.  Between those two and the Fixer Upper Marathons...I have just about stopped watching HGTV.  

I have to have a grudging admiration for the ingenuity of the Gold Dust Twins.  They have parlayed the novelty of being twins...who came along at just the right time in the real estate business..into some sort of empire.  And good for them.  But.  I don't care about where they live, who they are dating, their wedding(s), who they are married to, any other siblings their parents produced, what careers they had before they hit it big...what dentist they go to..what brand of undies they wear..how cute/pretty/horrific their significant others are (and kudos to any woman who has hooked up with them...she has hit the jackpot because they are set for life and they also seem to be really nice guys).  I guess.  I wouldn't know because I don't watch them anymore because...all together now...I cannot stand these two anymore.  Over-exposed, over-hyped...well, I could go on but I'll stop.  

I didn't used to rant like this but current events have made me an angry old woman.  Who has no f..cks to give about decorum and class anymore.  And all my "senior" friends are angrier about everything than I am.  I'm the moderate one.  Wasn't it Gloria Steinham (sp?) who said that the only group that gets more radical with age is women.  

Yes, middle-class problems (according to my daughter) who thinks I need to just pipe down.  Like that is going to happen.  Not bloody likely.  Is it just me?  

• Love 3

Wow, Kemper.  HGTV is supposed to be a happy place, or at least a place where we can make fun of the various house hunters and their ridiculous wants, and the fact that every married couple has one partner who wants a craftsman, and the other wants a mid-century modern.

I like the brothers, but they are getting dangerously close to being over-exposed, for sure. You have to strike while the iron is hot, so I do give them a lot of credit. They seem to come from a very nice family as well (plus I love friendly Canadians). 

Have you tried the DIY network instead?

• Love 4

I probably should have put my rant on the HGTV thread; I am actually more disappointed and angry with their programming choices than I am at the Brothers.  I don't blame them, either, for striking while the iron is hot; sometimes you don't get another opportunity.

It is just that I love house porn...love looking at decorated houses and love older homes.  That is why I enjoy House Hunters, obnoxious homeowners, whining homeowners and entitled homeowners.  HGTV used to be my escape when life got too hectic.  I could almost always tune in and find something gorgeous or different.  Now, every time I turn it on ... it is usually Fixer Upper and some incarnation of The Brothers.  Or staged, unrealistic flippers.  I just want to see beautiful or ugly homes.  

• Love 3
On 12/1/2017 at 2:42 PM, Kemper said:

Between those two and the Fixer Upper Marathons...I have just about stopped watching HGTV.

I have to have a grudging admiration for the ingenuity of the Gold Dust Twins.  They have parlayed the novelty of being twins...who came along at just the right time in the real estate business..into some sort of empire.  And good for them.  But.  I don't care about where they live, who they are dating, their wedding(s), who they are married to, any other siblings their parents produced, what careers they had before they hit it big...what dentist they go to..what brand of undies they wear..how cute/pretty/horrific their significant others are (and kudos to any woman who has hooked up with them...she has hit the jackpot because they are set for life and they also seem to be really nice guys).  I guess.  I wouldn't know because I don't watch them anymore because...all together now...I cannot stand these two anymore.  Over-exposed, over-hyped...well, I could go on but I'll stop.  

I didn't used to rant like this but current events have made me an angry old woman.  Who has no f..cks to give about decorum and class anymore.  And all my "senior" friends are angrier about everything than I am.  I'm the moderate one.  Wasn't it Gloria Steinham (sp?) who said that the only group that gets more radical with age is women.  

Yes, middle-class problems (according to my daughter) who thinks I need to just pipe down.  Like that is going to happen.  Not bloody likely.  Is it just me?  

Add in the upteen Flip or Flop versions, I've stopped watching. 

I loved all everything else you stated. You're not alone!

Edited by msani19
hit reply before I was done
  • Love 2

I am looking for one particular Property Brothers episode where they renovate a bedroom that used to be an ugly and huge ass pink room, with an 80s vibe. There was a platform bed area as far as I remember and a walk-in closet space too, which the brothers renovated. Does anyone remember this episode?

Edited by introvertibrae

I wonder if when someone is quoted $200,000.00 for renovations if the whole house is redone.  It seems the focus on the kitchen, dining room and living areas.

Watching some reruns Saturday night they seemed to encounter some rather difficult clients.  It was the Buying and Selling franchise and it just seems the homeowners get a lot more bang for their buck than the folks looking for a fixer upper.  One woman sobbed when her holy bush was removed.  Maybe not the look they were trying to achieve.    

Just saw an episode (in Nashville?) where the woman wanted a French Country look.  The plans they were shown by Drew/Jon were cookie cutter open concept, with lots of white.  Since when is French Country open concept?  Of course the homeowners loved the plan.  I didn't stay to see the end - too depressing.

• Love 3

Tonight would have been a good time to start a drinking game featuring the word Wisconsin. I understand that the wife had lived her entire life in Wisconsin and they only moved to Nashville for the husband's dream job, but geez she got on my last nerve wanting exactly what she had there and never letting us forget it. The house they bought looked very nice inside after the remodel but the outside resembled a prison to me.  

• Love 6

That Wisconsin episode was really annoying! That woman should have been overjoyed that her husband had achieved his dream job. Instead, she whined and cried like a spoiled child. She had so much to be thankful for (beginning with a wonderful husband who could afford an $850,000 house for her!) but she concentrated on her lost dream home next to apartment buildings. I hope that she has learned to put this all in perspective or else he will grow to resent her for the guilt trip that she keeps laying on him. 

• Love 2

That Wisconsin episode was really annoying!

Wow. I'm a crier myself, but no matter what was going on, she turned on the waterworks.  I think she is probably overwhelmed with her caregiver role as well as being homesick.  Did the shower for her dad look wide enough?  I wonder what Jonathan and Drew would say about them.

Very strange house from the outside.  It looked so tall and imposing.

The sons going plant shopping was sort of funny, since all they knew is they wanted plants like they had in Wisconsin. An unscrupulous salesperson could have really taken advantage of them.

• Love 4
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:39 PM, Maharincess said:

I prefer Jonathon. I like a more scruffy, working man look, the buttoned up suit and tie look turns me completely off.  

I love the buttoned up suit and tie look but I still choose Jonathan.  I think it's because he's the one making it all happen and when there are issues, the one that seems most invested in making the owners happy.  I was surprised to read some felt he gets pissy with the homeowners when they pushback.  His even temper and affable nature is one of the reasons I like the show.  I never get secondhand embarrassment like I did with the hosts on Love it or List It.  They consistently make me cringe.  Jonathan comes off to me as playful, supportive, and knowledgeable with the clients.

Both brothers seem to adore kids.  

• Love 1