Type keyword(s) to search

Property Brothers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I know someone who has a large waterfront home with 2 islands in the kitchen. The first has a gas cooktop on it, and when you are at the range you are looking out to the second island, dining area, and great room overlooking the water. The second island has bar stool seating. It is lovely and works.

• Love 1

Old school week on Property Brothers, 2016 episode., Adam and Erin, "Bachelor Pad Condo to Family-Friendly Home." Their budget was a little over $1M and the pre-reno houses were selling in the $890K range. They wanted to be in a hot neighborhood, and Adam was convinced he knew best, kept ignoring Drew's advice and submitted low-ball offers. Their bids on 8 houses were rejected. Erin couldn't see past the wallpaper and light fixtures. They admitted upfront they were indecisive, and they were absolutely awful during the reno.

At least Jonathan got in a "I told you so. I. Told. You. So."

Horrible homeowners make it difficult to watch. I actually had to turn the channel at one point, but went back to watch the reveal.

• Love 1

I think I remember that one--gee, why have we lost out on so many houses. Let's do that again!

I caught part of a Bro v. Bro rerun but the judges were Mina and Karen so there was only so much I could watch. Painful all the way around. They loved this horrible cave of a bedroom that was so small and had no windows (not sure about egress). They mis-guessed which bro did which house and seemed to base their decision on which bro they wanted to win. Perfect. Wrong. Awful. 

I always literally laugh out loud when they talk about their "ideas" for the kitchen.  White Shaker cabinets with white granite or white marble!  And I shout "Wow, how ORIGINAL!  No one is doing that these days!!"

I have to give the side eye to any so-called "designer" who decides on those finishes because that is not an original idea.  It's following the herd.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

I always literally laugh out loud when they talk about their "ideas" for the kitchen.  White Shaker cabinets with white granite or white marble!  And I shout "Wow, how ORIGINAL!  No one is doing that these days!!"

I have to give the side eye to any so-called "designer" who decides on those finishes because that is not an original idea.  It's following the herd.

It's very safe...most of these new homeowners haven't much imagination...design companies are all about getting consumers to follow the latest trends, so when styles change there is big rush for 'updating'...my kitchen in an 1890 Victorian cottage l call 'Industrial Victorian Goes to the Beach'...it suits the style of the home not the current trends. Since it's only 5 years old it may need to be 'refreshed' at some point, it won't need major renovation again ever...#teamjonathan

• Love 1

I'm watching the Nashville rerun where the husband likes quirky furniture (dining room chairs are giant red hands).   The wife has a family home that's been rented out, and I keep waiting for someone to crash through the floor.    It's horrible.   I can't believe the prices in Nashville where the family house would be worth $200,000.    

This house is the one where Jonathan found ants, some kind of big animal scat in the ceiling, and part of a tree broke off and fell.    Then they found out the scat in the ceiling from from a giant rat snake living in the ceiling.  

Nashville has been a booming area for prices for quite a while now.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
15 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm watching the Nashville rerun where the husband likes quirky furniture (dining room chairs are giant red hands).   The wife has a family home that's been rented out, and I keep waiting for someone to crash through the floor.    It's horrible.   I can't believe the prices in Nashville where the family house would be worth $200,000.

I live in Manhattan and I can barely believe there are places where $200,000 get's you anything bigger than a closet!

21 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I can't believe the boring ugly house won on their recent brother vs brother competition. The upstairs and kitchen of the other house was fantastic.

Actually, I preferred the corner house. The color choices in the house next door didn't appeal to me at all, and at that price point you don't want to be doing a full-on redecoration.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, rereader2 said:

Actually, I preferred the corner house. The color choices in the house next door didn't appeal to me at all, and at that price point you don't want to be doing a full-on redecoration.

But there were no colour choices. It was white and white and white, with some greyish blue. 

• Love 3

I was watching some eps and bursting out laughing. Drew takes the people on a tour of somebody's really nice, really expensive home to gauge their taste level. Then he comes back to Cinder, er Jonathan with his breakthrough insights and some samples. Here are a couple of combinations I think would work for the kitchen: white, light grey, light wood floor OR white, dark grey, white oak floor. Whaddya think, Bro?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 10/19/2020 at 3:53 PM, Grrarrggh said:

But there were no colour choices. It was white and white and white, with some greyish blue. 

And I guess I didn’t mind that. I wouldn’t want to purchase a house with a very specific design style. Drew’s home design was simple but elegant, and it gave buyers the potential to customize the interior design based on their own tastes. 

• Love 1
On 10/19/2020 at 3:53 PM, Grrarrggh said:

Which means that the buyers can use any accent colors THEY like, instead of being stuck with the colors Jonathan likes. When you decorate/stage for selling, that's the smart way to go--make any colors easily changeable.

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, rereader2 said:

Which means that the buyers can use any accent colors THEY like, instead of being stuck with the colors Jonathan likes. When you decorate/stage for selling, that's the smart way to go--make any colors easily changeable.

A lot of buyers don't want to have to spend the money and time to decorate, paint, put up wallpaper. 

14 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

A lot of buyers don't want to have to spend the money and time to decorate, paint, put up wallpaper. 

I would be more upset if I had to live in the owl room. It was cool wallpaper, but I wouldn't want to look at it all day, let alone try to sleep under it. It would give me the creeps. And these people spent 6 point something on these homes. Chances are, they have an interior designer. Or can hire one. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

"Accent colors" is what I said, which means pillows, art, maybe carpets or curtains, maybe sheets and other bedcoverings. Easily made, no-muss-no-fuss changes.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, rereader2 said:

"Accent colors" is what I said, which means pillows, art, maybe carpets or curtains, maybe sheets and other bedcoverings. Easily made, no-muss-no-fuss changes.

But some buyers, at least ones with more taste than to love white/grey, WANT a house that has wallpaper, walls painted colours other than white/grey/beige, tile and cabinets that aren't w/g etc. Plus I liked the backyard pool more than a huge outdoor kitchen area. Though I do admit I'd prefer a garage to that outbuilding.

13 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

But some buyers, at least ones with more taste than to love white/grey, WANT a house that has wallpaper, walls painted colours other than white/grey/beige, tile and cabinets that aren't w/g etc. Plus I liked the backyard pool more than a huge outdoor kitchen area. Though I do admit I'd prefer a garage to that outbuilding.

But only a small subset would like THOSE colors and THAT wallpaper (I found it far too dark, myself, even though I love color), and narrowing the buyer pool is not wise—as he found out. 

• Love 1

I love the new Forever Home episode they're showing.    The two men wanted to adopt one kid, the other man said two, and the social worker said we have three brothers, under 5 years old.    Then they called and said they have a sister, so they have four kids under 7 or so now.   

I really wish they would have sold the current house, and bought a nice ranch with more bedrooms, and all of the floors one level (their current two story has a sunken living room, and the kid trip on and off the step).    

The house turned out beautifully.     I love how well the brothers relate to little kids.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Anyone else upset by the Discovery +? 

I heard that on a commercial today. There are so many truly crappy programs on Discovery, especially TLC, I would not spend a single dime on a pay streaming Channel. This stuff is getting out of hand.

• Love 5

So I looked into Discovery+ and it seems it's for people who want to cut the cable cord but still have access to a lot of the Discovery, Inc. shows. I don't think the shows are going to disappear from cable networks. I'm not sure, but it seems like there may be original shows not on cable, but we'll see come January 4. Discovery's web site mentions Bobby and Giada in Italy and Joanna Gaines' cooking show.

I don't watch the brothers, they are not my cup of tea, but I don't think they will be disappearing from cable.

• Love 1

My guess is the shows will premiere on Discovery+, but eventually rerun on the regular channels.     I'm also betting the low introductory costs for streaming like Discovery+ will go up in price.    I think one of the popular ones is going up for the subscription.     

I like the original Property Brothers the best.    I'm not that crazy about the Buying and Selling, and Forever Home with all of the sob stories doesn't appeal to me at all.   

However, I'm not going to do that.     I'm fine with regular cable.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I read somewhere that Verizon customers can get a year's subscription for free (that's how I got Disney+ in time to watch Hamilton). Still not sure I'll sign up--first, hate to encourage this; k with me if I don't see another episode of Forever Home; Joanna cooking? Meh. Bobby and Giada eyeing each other in Italy? Hard pass.

• Love 9
On 12/31/2020 at 1:13 PM, Grizzly said:

Anyone else upset by the Discovery +? Heard last night they were moving PB Forever Home there. We don't do the streaming services and I'll be so mad if they take away all my favorite shows from tv.

I call total shenanigans on PB Forever Home (which has been a little feel-good oasis for me in pandemic times). When HGTV started running ads for the new season they promised new episodes through February. Now they are moving it exclusively to Discovery "+". I am so mad I could spit. I can do without watching Joanna Gaines cook (from the commercials I've seen, even she doesn't seem too into it), but to move new episodes of shows that have historically aired on HGTV is not cool.

• Love 2

Rerun from 2018, Carolyn, the homeowner who was painted as super picky and a challenger to Jonathan. Mostly she pushed back on his crappy choices. Hard. Got what she wanted as nd was appreciative in the end. Although she threw the backsplash tile in his face before they left.😂

• LOL 1

I would not let a single thing those brothers "design" into my house.  And don't even get me started on the buyers who claim they want a unique/custom house. 

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Love 1

I wouldn't want their style in my house either.   However, homeowners who sign up for this show should know exactly what style they're getting.  So, if they don't like Jonathan's modern style, then why did they sign up for the show?   I guess just to get on TV.    

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

The PB's style isn't modern. It's builder grade/flip trendy. 

Good point.   The worst thing about trendy is it's dated fairly quickly, so I bet within five years, most of the homeowners are changing things again, or can't afford to change them, and are unhappy.     From articles when they were filming in Canada, the last few years were mostly rented out on AirBnb, especially the condos.   

That's one thing I dislike about the flipping shows, trendy, and quickly outdated.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/19/2019 at 9:24 PM, txvoodoo said:

My tv happened to be on hgtv when I turned it on tonight, on the latest PropBros ForeverHome thingie. I've been DVRing them but I stopped the dvr on this one. The wife's voice...I just couldn't listen to that for an hour. Total Minnie Mouse.

I know this is an old episode. I just got home from the grocery store and this was on the TV when I turned it on.  So odd to have the daughter and not the wife. Odder yet the voice. The dad has some squeaky undertones to his voice, at times - when the daughter stops talking long enough for him to get a word in edgewise.

[eta: Sooooo...... I can't let sleeping dogs lie. Had to consult the Googles. Daughter is a youtuber. Meghan McCarthy. That explains why she's the only one yapping on the show.

Edited by Lurk
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/17/2021 at 2:09 PM, Grrarrggh said:

I would not let a single thing those brothers "design" into my house.  And don't even get me started on the buyers who claim they want a unique/custom house. 

I wouldn't let them near my house either. I rarely watch the PB's any more, but they seem to be all over the place. Often when I open a program saved on my DVR there is a final minute or so of PBs after a reveal and they are partying with the happy homeowners who act like the PBs are family members. I wonder how the homeowners feel about them a year or so later when things are not so new and glitzy. And possibly falling apart?

• Love 2

I accidentally saw the plans for somebody’s (not) forever home earlier. After knocking down a wall between the new Banquette With Storage, table and some lightweight uncomfortable-looking could have been patio chairs, the plans for the Totally New Kitchen had the same or fewer cupboards than I have in my (smallish) kitchen. Lotta empty floor space, though. One bro said something about the family doing song or dance circles. LOL! No. Boo.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 10/21/2020 at 2:08 PM, Grrarrggh said:

That's why I prefer a boring grey, white & white oak "boring" palate. You can live with it for a while until you decide what you really want.  I found that once my furniture, wall art, pillows, throws etc. were in my new condo, the grey walls receded and I don't even notice them - I notice everything else in the room.  People who are upsizing but not wealthy cannot afford to fill the house with furniture right away and can tackle wall colours & decorating room by room.

• Love 3

🤮🤮🤮TV was on HGTV in the background. But not low enough because I wandered in here and just heard Jonathan say he was able to consciously uncouple the microwave from the stovetop. I I I'm done with the Property Brothers forever. 🤮🤮🤮

Edited by buttersister
  • LOL 2
17 hours ago, auntjess said:

Thanks for this! It's really long, but speedreading articles was part of my career (academic librarian) so I got a lot out of it quickly.
Hey, just like the Property Bros. shows, LOL!

I mostly watched them when I would visit Mom her last 3 years (until August 2020). 

I do think if the article accurately reflects that one brother wanted to be magician and the other wanted to be an actor, they have totally realized those dreams. 

The article is an excellent (even inspiring?) example of how siblings and community members can achieve a lot when they work together. 

• Like 1
On 9/1/2023 at 4:16 PM, auntjess said:

Thanks, interesting read!  I haven't watched them for a while but happened to watch several back to back episodes this morning. I didn't realize they are from Vancouver, always assumed Ontario.  Like so many HGTV reno shows, it's obviously very fake.  I always laugh how they only ever show Jonathon (? ~ I get their names mixed up) doing ALL the work, with no crew.  In reality he does none of it.  I've only ever watched the original series and none of their spin offs.  They aren't as annoying as some of the other renovation shows.

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Most troublesome to me is 1) wondering what kind of homes the unnamed workers have, and 2) all the waste.

I rarely watch these HGTV shows anymore.

I totally agree with you..... i haven't watched anything on HGTV for a few years, they all become the same blur after a while and just too annoying.  But I got onto it accidentally yesterday.  Like a lot of reality TV there's just too much fakery.

• Like 1