Type keyword(s) to search

Property Brothers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

We need to tell HGTV, on their Facebook page, and prepare for a true-believers onslaught.

I enter those contests for Urban Oasis & Blog Cabin, and one entry for has a check-your-favorite shows list, and they list these, and all the others I don't like, and have nothing for "none of the above," or a place to write in.

• Love 1

I actually really like the brothers. Prior to watching their shows I was totally anti-renovation and wanted a house I could move straight into, but now I'm more cognizant of the fact that they're not always bad and end up better in the long run since everything is to your taste.

I'm super-suspicious of all real estate/flipping type shows, and this one is no exception. I kind of think that the homeowners are neither buying nor selling . . . they are upgrading their homes in exchange for being on tv and are not moving anytime in the near future. (1) the show is overly focused on what the homeowners like for their current "selling" home. Who cares what they like? If they were really selling, that would be completely irrelevant. and (2) we never see them inside the home they "bought." At the end, when they have supposedly moved into the new house, we just see them playing catch in the front yard or hanging out by the pool in back. Never inside. So my conclusion is that if the cameras went inside, we would see that the furniture and decor is exactly the same as when they toured the house -- these are just random houses for sale that have been staged, but the show homeowners have no connection to it.

So, that is my completely suspicious breakdown of what is really going on with this show.

• Love 2

i don't know if its a Canadian versus an american culture thing but i can't stand those two.  they come across as corny and annoying and what makes it worse is they seem to think they come across cool, funny, and charming.

• Love 1

I haven't watched one of their shows in awhile; I needed a break, not because of them but the sameness of each show.  I just put this back on my DVR.  

I find these guys much less annoying than the people on the two flip shows.  The couple that always does "French country" and the guy who got a medical heads up from a viewer.  I actively dislike these two couples.  I quit Love it or List it  a couple of years ago, when I found out they recorded two endings for each show and used the one that worked to keep the wins even between Hilary and David.  Most everyone just wants a remodel and many are fixing it up to sell on their own.  Most are all aware of the horrors Hilary finds, as well.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

Wow Peanutbutter cup I never thought of it that way.  I'll bet you are right.  I always wondered why they were shown outside the new property and not all moved in like House Hunters.

This theory fits in to the way HGTV likes to fool us.

What bugs me about the show is during the open house a lot of the potential buyers talk about the furniture and stuff that's going to go anyway.

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief over the new episode last night. The husband was in "landscape maintenance" which I figured was a fancy way of saying he mowed lawns, but they had a $ Million+ budget. The wife must have used the word "bling" a thousand times and the husband stressed that he loved to cook and wanted a very high end kitchen that included a "teppanyaki grill" and a pizza oven! Conveniently, one of his landscaping clients was selling her house and they had the opportunity to bid on it before it went on the market. She originally wanted $ 979,000 but supposedly since she liked the couple, she accepted $ 814,000. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 2

I just can't with this week's episode's two entitled twits. I'm only 10 minutes in but I think I'll be deleting it anyway. I'm sure they'll just turn it into the standard HGTV open kitchen/dining/living area, and the kitchen will be white and have a farmhouse sink and probably quartz counters and tiny glass tile backsplash. So it isn't like I am going to miss much. How many times do I need to hear Jonathan and Drew talk about "flow" anyway?

I just started to watch this show....in fact...it's on a marathon all day today. 

I wish they would say where the properties are located. 

I love some of the fixer upper's details - the wallpaper in the bathroom with the nude ladies, the all wood paneled house and the all sherbet pink colored bathroom. It's great to see the personalities in these crazy homes.

The thing that annoys me the most is that the house they show them as the one they can't afford is always super huge. It  seems disingenuous that they say, "you can't afford this one, but if we get a fixer upper you can have all this for your budget" when they're looking at a 4000 square foot house and they almost always end up in a 1500 square foot house.  Yes, they put in the quartz and whatever, and it is pretty, but it's still a much smaller house than the one they showed at the beginning.

I enjoy seeing the differences in the markets and things like "semi-detached" homes (which to me it feels like living in a railroad car, with super close neighbors).

My husband rants and raves about how people can afford the prices of the houses.  Like two young people who can "only" afford $800,000, or whatever.  Is it some kind of interest-only thing, or can they really afford a standard mortgage payment on that kind of balance?

• Love 5

I'm a bit suspicious of them being shown outside of the new home instead of filming inside of it. But that could be because they haven't closed on it, so they haven't moved in yet. Or because their original home was staged for the show and they don't get to keep all the new furniture and accessories, so they don't want to film in the new place with all their crappy old furniture.

• Love 1

The thing that annoys me the most is that the house they show them as the one they can't afford is always super huge.

My husband rants and raves about how people can afford the prices of the houses.  Like two young people who can "only" afford $800,000, or whatever.  Is it some kind of interest-only thing, or can they really afford a standard mortgage payment on that kind of balance?

Not only is it usually super huge, but the thing that always makes me shake my head is the disbelief when the couples are told the price tag.  Seriously?!  Have you never watched the show?  Do you really think when you signed up that you'd be the exception and not have to get a fixer upper?

Having said that, I'm one of the naive ones who didn't realize how fake this show is.  I did wonder about the time lines for things but figured things were fast tracked so they could film things in a timely manner.  It's so weird then to realize the bidding wars etc aren't really a thing.  I watched last night's special and thought it was cute, but now am a little disappointed wondering why bother with the charade?

I'm always astounded at the budgets people have (especially young, first time home owners) or how little some things cost.  Of course I realize the owners are generally getting things at cost and some for free, but the expectation and hope that you too could do some of these things with the same amount of money isn't very fair.  I did my bathroom a few years ago and know how much it cost me, and that wasn't anything fancy.  When things are replaced or fixed on the Buy and Sell show I'm sure you have to pick my mouth up off the floor as I sit in stunned silence and know I have no hope in doing the same things to my home with the budget I have.

I do like some of the ideas that are shown but know that I wouldn't be game to give up most of my possessions for new things to go into my new home as many of these couples seem to do.  It seems very little of their original stuff gets transferred over.  I'd rather spend my money on upgrades/more renovations than on bricbrac or things I wouldn't normally have considered buying or don't particularly care for.

I often wonder about this show and LIOLI.  Does the staging furniture and accessories stay after the project? 

I know with Flip or Flop the staging stuff is removed and the homeowners furniture is put in.

I just saw a recent episode where the mother had thyroid cancer, and it sounded like she was going through a divorce.  She needed a home for herself and her two kids.  She seemed so sweet, and I love how the house turned out for her.

I liked how she showed Jonathan pictures of her furniture to see if any of it could be used in the new place to save money.  He said "hell, no!" to most of it, but her dining room table was fine, and it looked gorgeous in his design.  He does talk about saving money sometimes, but I wish he would do it more often, perhaps talking about going with lower end (but good) appliances, less expensive fixtures, etc.  There are always tradeoffs to be made when remodeling.

• Love 3

Property Brothers: Home on the Range. I'm sorry, but how did anyone in the promo for this new incarnation of  HGTV's  favorite pretty boys show make it through the taping without bursting out laughing? How campy can you get, the boys and their male friends, sittin' round the campfire singin' "Home, Home on the Range'. Really, HGTV? Ugh!

• Love 7

Property Brothers: Home on the Range. I'm sorry, but how did anyone in the promo for this new incarnation of  HGTV's  favorite pretty boys show make it through the taping without bursting out laughing? How campy can you get, the boys and their male friends, sittin' round the campfire singin' "Home, Home on the Range'. Really, HGTV? Ugh!

I know--those commercials are still laughable. But I'm still gonna watch it. 

I've started watching the "Property Brothers at Home" 4 episode series. So far, I love it. The house is big and gaudy (in its original form), and that's why the're remodeling it. But I have friend who lives in Vegas, and she says much of the architecture is like this. I wonder when the entire family moved from Canada, and was Las Vegas their first stop in America?

One of my favorite things about the show is that I really get to know the brothers (the twins plus an older brother). They're both funny and have their unique quirks, and they love to bust each others' balls, as brothers do. 

One curious thing, and please educate me about this, but all 3 of them have effeminate mannerisms: certain aspects of their voices, or their design choices, or the way they look in pictures (one of them took a picture in bright fluorescent aerobics clothing, doing a Flashdance/Saturday Night Fever pose). I'd just assumed they were all gay. But the Realtor twin (I'm blanking on names) talks about his current girlfriend, and the contractor twin (Drew?) talks about his ex-wife--which doesn't mean he's not gay, of course.  

Except they were sitting around the campfire with their mom, dad, brother and one of them's girlfriend.  Corny, yes, but it was family.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 2

I just saw the episode with the couple, lawn maintenance and healthcare marketing, who wanted a chef's kitchen (him) and bling, bling, and more bling (her). Once again, I'm astounded that they couldn't find a house they could love with their over 1mil dollar budget. I would expect in any home they would do some work, minor stuff like painting or taking up carpet. Generally, no house is perfect. I mean the first house we brought was a lot of money for the size of house due to it's location. We did put some money into it because we wanted to change the paint color and get rid of the carpet. So I get still having to customize it but still having to do major renovations because you can't find a house that works for you with that kind of budget? Crazy.

Overall, I found the couple to be fine. That may have something to do with the fact that I was half watching. I didn't think I would like them because when they walked into the first house, he goes, "I don't like how close the staircase is to the front door." You could have fit a family of 10 between the door and the steps. The wife then said something equally dumb to me about the backyard. I was like really, the producers couldn't come up with better fake complaints for them to have.

The home came out great, as usual, even if it is something we've seen 1000 times on these shows. I can't be mad at him for wanting a chef's kitchen since that is one of my dreams.

I agree with the comments above about the buyers being able to use some of their own stuff in the new designs. I've always thought these places on these shows look too done and almost nothing being personal to the families. And there never seems to be room for the families to accumulate new items to decorate their home.

• Love 1

Someone orient me, please. Most (or all) of the episodes take place in the Toronto area, correct? So that made me think the brothers live and work in Canada. And that they're Canadian natives. But they currently live in Las Vegas, and according to the "Home on the Range" episodes, they grew up near the Rocky Mountains. So are they American? And if so, then why do they only work with families in Canada?

The Rocky Mountains extend well north into Canada and the brothers are natives of Vancouver, I believe.  Definitely Canadian.

Thanks. I'd forgotten that about the Rockies. Guess who didn't do well in geography? And I grew up on the West Coast, dammit!

It's also my narrow-minded American bias--I don't automatically think of Canada as a land of ranches and cowboys. 

Property Brothers: Home on the Range.

I don't normally watch or comment on this show (but a family member who I share the TV with likes them), but WOW, I've never seen so much fan service -- in a home improvement show.

• Love 1

I don't normally watch or comment on this show (but a family member who I share the TV with likes them), but WOW, I've never seen so much fan service -- in a home improvement show.

And I love that fan service, Trini (are you the same person as TriniGirl, BTW?). Silly things like going to the store to buy cowboy clothes crack me up. But I could have done without the visual of Drew twerking in yellow underwear when he tried on chaps (without pants). 

I love watching Drew and Johnathan rag on each other, as brothers often do (especially twin brothers). And then JD chimes in talking junk about both of them. I also like seeing the old pictures of them and their parents. 

I wonder how much money Drew and Johnathan spent on renovations--both on the ranch and at their Vegas home. It's not like they're strapped for cash, so the sky must be the limit. When Johnathan rehabs, say a 3 bed, two bath home in "the City," he usually gives estimates of $115-$150 for the total rehab. 

Their Vegas home is wayyyy larger, and their renovations were very elaborate. 

And I love that fan service, Trini (are you the same person as TriniGirl, BTW?). Silly things like going to the store to buy cowboy clothes crack me up. But I could have done without the visual of Drew twerking in yellow underwear when he tried on chaps (without pants). 

Yeah, I was Trini Girl on TWoP.  :)

I get that they're hot guys, but man, it's so blatant!

• Love 1

Loved the end result of that cabin. Must look up "Samsung black stainless steel appliances".  When they were fighting over putting a door to the bathroom, I kept thinking, "Put up a barn door, you idiots!", and that is what they did.

Love the Brothers, but there was way too much filler in this, and I can handle a lot of filler,  Did love the scenery ... they should give more information about that area.

When they were fighting over putting a door to the bathroom, I kept thinking, "Put up a barn door, you idiots!", and that is what they did.

Jonathan loves barn doors made from reclaimed wood. I just watched 3 episodes of the regular show where he installed barn doors during the remodel--and in all three cases, the families didn't originally want them. But of course, they oohed and ahhed at the final product. Still, I wonder if the doors will stay. 

I haven't watched the brothers in awhile but I turned on the ranch show since it was new. It amused me that they seemed to be going out of their way not to mention that they were in Canada.  Finally I saw the moving company with boxes showing a maple leaf icon on them.  Ha!    Also the accents of the inspectors gave it away.

Still the family get togethers with their parents are cute.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying Home on the Range so far. Man, is it ever gorgeous there! I noticed the they were very vague about the location, but it makes sense that it would be in Canada. I'm surprised that chose to live in Las Vegas after growing up in such a green and beautiful area. To each his own, I guess.

With tonight's episode, I didn't think white was the best choice for a ranch kitchen, but I get that it lightens things up a bit. They definitely didn't need to add any more wood to that place!

• Love 1

I assume the ranch is in British Columbia.
I've watched a bit, but from what I heard, the ranch belongs to family friends, and their father used to work there.
From the promos, I thought it was their family home, but I guess they're just using it as a venue.

• Love 1

I'm still watching Property Brothers shows but I've noticed that the bickering/pranks has really been ramped up over the past year or so. It's irritating. I understand they are brothers and not always going to get along, but this seems like a plot device. ("On tonight's Property Brothers: Will Jonathan give Drew a swirly because the bathroom reno is finished? Tune in and see!") The homeowners can be annoying enough.

I've enjoyed the scenery in the past few episodes a lot more than the renovations.

• Love 2

I stopped watching Property Brothers when it became so predictable, but I've been watching Home at the Ranch because it's different, I'd love to own a ranch, and it's beautiful country. The boys' trash talking has become even more unbearable. I know they're brothers, they're twins; brothers, especially twins, will have that kind of playful/insulting banter... But it's nonstop with these guys! I hope they tone it down in real life. I mean, I can understand it at 12 years old, but they're grown men! Apparently JD is filling the role of the homeowner on-camera since the real HOs are on an endless anniversary trip.

I have enjoyed the ranch renovations because there are so many different rooms and properties included. It seems the family has either let maintenance go over the years or they didn't know how shaky some of the foundation, wiring, framing, and roofing was. I'd love to know the (real) final budget for all the repairs and rebuilding. Despite all the cheese, I'm liking this iteration of the show.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this series too. I probably wouldn't want to watch 20 episodes, but it was just right in a limited episode format. I can't believe how gorgeous it is out there! It makes me realize how few star watching opportunities we have here on the East coast.

• Love 2

iI think they could show an episode of the twins just sitting on a couch watching TV and people would watch it... 

I must confess...I think I would. Are they doing a running commentary on what they're watching? Then I'm definitely in. 

I saw the stable renovation episode last night. If I won the lottery, that stable is exactly what I would want. Absolutely gorgeous. No costs have been mentioned during any of the ranch episodes. Even the one with the new roof. I'm assuming there was some kind of cost sharing with the old family friends. Maybe 10/90? I can't imagine they have a ton of extra money to renovate seeing at the state most of the buildings had gotten into.

I liked the fact that the ranchers had quiet and subdued responses to the renovations. They aren't on the show to get their 15 minutes of fame. Refreshing! It was funny that Jonathan kept using talking head segments to point out that just because they weren't squealing with joy it didn't mean they weren't absolutely ecstatic with the changes!

I'm curious about "JD". That can't possibly be short for Jonathan Drew Scott, can it? The parents must have more imagination than that!

Attorney at the beginning of the latest Property Brothers: I want the design of my home to be unique and individual, something that no one else has!

Attorney at the end of the latest Property Brothers: waxes rhapsodic about a home that looks exactly like every other "after" renovation on HGTV.

Some day, some day, they will show me a home renovation with someone who claims to like different designs and actually ends up with one (that looks good - I'm not counting that horrible re-do of a historic house in Buffalo on House Hunters: Renovation).

attn @MoreCoffeePlease or anyone else considering buying Samsung kitchen appliances: don't do it! My parents made the mistake of buying a Samsung refrigerator several months ago and they've already had it repaired three times. The repairman told them that Samsung is great for electronics but the absolute worst for kitchen appliances but "I can't complain too much, they are really driving our [repair] business profits through the roof these days!".

Watching Anna a cancer survivor with 2 young tweets. The house was nicely done but I thought the kitchen, dinning room & family room (open concept) was very tight & snug. They did a nice job on the basement or as they called it The Kid Zone......whatever!!

The stats were as follows:

$537,000 - Purchase Price

$140,000 - Reno Price

$677,000 - Total Cost

Reno Timeline was 7 Weeks.

I used to like this show when it first came on the air. I thought Jonathan was so talented, reconfiguring the spaces, designing the interiors and doing all the general contracting duties. Then I found out these guys are just actors and other unseen people are doing all the heavy lifting. Drew and Jonathan are just glorified hosts that pretend to do the deal and smash the walls. They're just eye candy mugging for the camera. Once I found out they were just for show, I lost interest.

• Love 4