Type keyword(s) to search

Property Brothers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

@radishcake, even without the peach, the house was $70,000.  And no, I didn't leave out a zero.

So I can't think of where else it would be.
I hate it when they don't tell you where.,
We know when you're in Toronto.

• Love 1

70K is like a 1200 -1400sqft house unless you get some kind of insane foreclosure deal. And if it was filmed a few years ago or even last year you could see a bigger house go for that depending on where it was in the city. They have a tendency to call EVERYTHING metro Atlanta and that will include some fairly rural areas where you can get MUCH more house for your money. 

Crista and Sumit. I really did NOT like her. One of those "I'm going to be really bitchy right now but I'll use my 'cute' baby voice and sugar-wouldn't-melt smile and you'll do what I want because everyone's been doing that my whole life" types. (I could be projecting...but not by much.) She kept coming up with one change, addition, etc. after the other but insisting that the budget and the timeline could not be changed and when Jonathan tries to reason with her, she talking-heads "I think Jonathan doesn't realize that it's OUR house and it's OUR money."[/baby voice, smirk] Really, Crista? Do you realize you're getting contractor work and materials at little more than cost (assuming the show has the same business model as every other HGTV show)? 

• Love 2

Is there a thread for the Property Brothers Buying and Selling show, or is this a catch all area for that show too?  That show is the perfect example of what investing a little money into a house can do to improve it enormously.  That and nice decor - and keeping it neat and clean all the time while trying to live a normal life in it

Crista and Sumit. I really did NOT like her. One of those "I'm going to be really bitchy right now but I'll use my 'cute' baby voice and sugar-wouldn't-melt smile and you'll do what I want because everyone's been doing that my whole life" types. (I could be projecting...but not by much.) She kept coming up with one change, addition, etc. after the other but insisting that the budget and the timeline could not be changed and when Jonathan tries to reason with her, she talking-heads "I think Jonathan doesn't realize that it's OUR house and it's OUR money."[/baby voice, smirk] Really, Crista? Do you realize you're getting contractor work and materials at little more than cost (assuming the show has the same business model as every other HGTV show)? 

OMG i remember that episode, and that couple. the girls voice and facial expressions when she spoke and how she pronounced/enunciated everything drove me nuts!

i don't get these couples who are the only ones in the house, no kids, and are all like "we only have one shower in our house! one bathroom! it doesn't work!" i live with my fiance and child and we make do perfectly fine with only one bathroom and one shower. i don't know, it drives me as nuts as the HH couples who gripe about  everything, from the fact that the kitchen needs to be updated because the appliances are almost 2 years old, to the fact that there's no double sinks in the bathroom and the walk in closet isn't big enough to house an entire town.

• Love 5

the fact that there's no double sinks in the bathroom

Oh my gosh, yes! What-all do these people need to do in front of a sink that they can't take turns and possibly have to wait three minutes? That's one I really, truly don't understand.

Then again, if all of these shows are as fake as we hear, the homebuyers have to find some "flaws" to point out for every house, might as well be the single sink.

• Love 1

His services as an actor but that's all.  Do the homeowners need that?  They must pay for the local contractor who actually does the work.

My understanding of most of these shows is that the homeowners get a slight discount on the costs of the work in return for their appearing on the show and following direction. Doubtless the production co. can negotiate a discount on supplies at their end, if they're doing multiple renovations a year in the same location.

There's an article on the brothers in this week's issue of People Magazine and even with photo captions I still get confused as to which brother is which!

Just remember : The slightly worse hair is always Jonathan. ;) I keed I keed. 

Also Reishe I looked it up and this is how it works: 

Typical of home improvement shows with an accelerated renovation format, the brothers have three experienced crews work on the house to finish in the 4 to 6 week timeline. They work with real project budgets set out by the buyers. The buyers own the property and pay for the remodelling, but the show is able to provide about $20,000 to $25,000 worth of furnishings.

So the incentive is that they have access to THREE contractor crews that are doing the work in an accelerated timeline plus $20K of furniture/staging. I'd be up for that! 

• Love 2

This show is too unbelieveable.  There's no way that anyone can do some of these complete rennovations for the price they say.  I just saw one where they did the living room, kitchen, bathroom and the girl's hang out room for under $70,000.  No way can you do that much for such a small price.  I'm redoing my master bathroom, to make it handicap accessible, and had to go down to the studs, and just that room, no bath tub but a shower, will cost me $40,000.  I wish HGTV would be honest. 

• Love 2

What aggravates me about this show is that Jonathan will give the homeowners a timeline of five weeks to completely redo all the major rooms and work on the house, and then the homeowners are giving him grief if the the job takes a week longer than expected - usually due to some change request on their part.

Do they even realize how long it normally takes to get that amount of work done on a home when it's not being filmed for a TV show?  When you're waiting for subs to be freed up, and deliveries are delayed?  All of those homeowners are getting into their remodeled homes much faster than they would in real life.

• Love 4

When i first started watching, my favorite was Drew because I thought he was cuter. The more I watched and started following both of them on social media, that flipped over to Jonathan because he seems more fun. Losing that lighter hair color didn't hurt either.

Also my current VM message is a personalized one from Jonathan that he created for me when i won a Twitter contest, so that definitely tilts the scale in his favor ;)

• Love 2

i don't get these couples who are the only ones in the house, no kids, and are all like "we only have one shower in our house! one bathroom! it doesn't work!" i live with my fiance and child and we make do perfectly fine with only one bathroom and one shower. i don't know, it drives me as nuts as the HH couples who gripe about  everything, from the fact that the kitchen needs to be updated because the appliances are almost 2 years old, to the fact that there's no double sinks in the bathroom and the walk in closet isn't big enough to house an entire town.

Well, my husband and I are the only ones in our place and have no plans to have kids, but having more than one shower is a must in our next house. We entertain a lot and often have guests who stay overnight, and I wouldn't be comfortable with having them coming into our master bedroom to use the facilities. It depends on the layout of the house, for sure, but just the request to have more than one shower is not a strange one.

• Love 3

Well, my husband and I are the only ones in our place and have no plans to have kids, but having more than one shower is a must in our next house. We entertain a lot and often have guests who stay overnight, and I wouldn't be comfortable with having them coming into our master bedroom to use the facilities. It depends on the layout of the house, for sure, but just the request to have more than one shower is not a strange one.

you know what - that makes sense. if you only have a bathroom attached to your bedroom, that has no access from the hallway/rest of the house, i could definitely understand the need for another bathroom in that sense. i'd probably want that too. and also, i get it, these are the "dream homes", so we'd want everything in it that we could afford. i guess the overtly fussiness of these people drives me nuts on these shows, which i know they're told to act like that, or they go over the top on their own, since it's a tv show, but they just get on my nerves. i've actually stopped watching HH because of it lol.

Johnathan is my favorite.  He is a skilled carpenter and Drew a licensed real estate agent.  Of course they don't do the work!  I get that.  

On their shows the clients pay for materials and the labor is free. 

I adore that the brothers seem to hang out in what appears to be Section 8 housing and like, the government hasn't gotten on them for torturing the idiots that sign up for this fun fest. I remember one episode had them in a halfway gutted house where the fully intact skeleton of a dead sparrow was wedged under the dishwasher. I still laugh about that even today.

But seriously, some of these homes are bafflingly ugly and broken down. I guess every neighborhood has a hermit...I'm just half expecting them to open a door and there be a corpse or something else equally horrific decomposing in the doorway or something...

These guys are great. Yes, this is all about the design ideas. All of these shows are scripted and they all follow the same storyline. They are educational and entertaining and the brothers are smart, professional and easy on the eyes.

• Love 1

To tell  you the truth, whatever level of real/fake is going on, I enjoy the brothers, they are cute and I even get a kick out the the sibling needling which seems affectionate to me.  However, I don't understand why the growing number of shows on this network, whether it's this one, Flip or Flop, or LOLI, seems to think it's a great idea to show people smashing walls, finding dead mice, termites, asbestos, dangerous wiring, you name it.  I can't eat dinner while that stuff is on!  I remember years ago watching This Old House and they spent an extended amount of time drilling a well or something.  I said to myself "This is not good television." Well, the same with the asbestos, termites, dead mice, mold etc.  I'd like to see more of the house-buying negotiations part but maybe it would be too hard to get the other realtors' permission?

• Love 3

I agree.  All of these shows are established enough for viewers to understand what things look like.  It is boring to watch the house being torn apart.  Do 3 seconds on FF to show the tear down segment and move on.  It would allow more time to show the decorating and finished product. 

• Love 2

So are they identical or not?

Yes, there are three of them and they all freaking look alike. Thank goodness they have the presence of mind to style their hair differently. I think the oldest is a producer, and he handles this show amongst others...

To tell you the truth, whatever level of real/fake is going on, I enjoy the brothers, they are cute and I even get a kick out the the sibling needling which seems affectionate to me. However, I don't understand why the growing number of shows on this network, whether it's this one, Flip or Flop, or LOLI, seems to think it's a great idea to show people smashing walls, finding dead mice, termites, asbestos, dangerous wiring, you name it. I can't eat dinner while that stuff is on! I remember years ago watching This Old House and they spent an extended amount of time drilling a well or something. I said to myself "This is not good television." Well, the same with the asbestos, termites, dead mice, mold etc. I'd like to see more of the house-buying negotiations part but maybe it would be too hard to get the other realtors' permission?

If it's not finding someone, the house is either haunted by a raging poltergeist, was the site of a homicide, or is so old and poorly damaged you might die just walking to get to the bath, falling through the floor whilst getting out of bed.

HGTV hasn't been doing well apparently, that's why they have succumbed to the reality TV mold of dead things, horror, turds, and actors posing as real people looking for homes... I used to watch HGTV with my grandmother and there were some pretty cool things on there before.

Yes, there are three of them and they all freaking look alike. Thank goodness they have the presence of mind to style their hair differently. I think the oldest is a producer, and he handles this show amongst others...

That's interesting about the producer brother. Certainly says much to me as to why they have several shows - a sibling in the biz.

That's interesting about the producer brother. Certainly says much to me as to why they have several shows - a sibling in the biz.

Yes, I can't remember exactly right now but they have said in interviews he is more behind the scenes. He's either a producer or one of those types that manages and directs sets and productions. Their info is all on IMBD.

• Love 1

I don't watch any of their shows, so the answer would be no. They're just eye candy, unlike Tareq and Christina on Flip or Flop who really do the work they show for a living.

The property brothers did do the work they do on Property Bros and continue to operate a large business.  They are much more than eye candy. Their resume is impressive.  From wiki: 

"Jonathan Scott, a licensed contractor, and Drew Scott, a real estate agent, have managed real estate holdings for nearly 15 years. In 2004, they founded Scott Real Estate, Inc., a company that oversees the sales and construction of residential and commercial projects, with offices in Vancouver, Calgary, and Las Vegas.[6]

Drew and Jonathan started buying and renovating property when they were teenagers.[10] They bought their first house when they were 18 years old. After renovations, they sold it a year later for a $50,000 profit, while attending university.[11] However, before going into real estate as a profession, the brothers tried acting. Both Jonathan and Drew appeared on the Canadian television show Breaker High. Drew had a role on Smallville and Jonathan was on the X-Files.[10] The two also did improvisational comedy and Jonathan became an illusionist. They decided to go back to school for construction and design. Their business soon grew and they were approached to do the television show.[10]

Both brothers are licensed real estate agents. Drew was licensed in early 2004 and continues to be a licensed agent with Keller Williams Elite in British Columbia. Jonathan became a licensed agent in Las Vegas when they founded their firm that same year. But for the show, Drew is shown as the realtor and Jonathan as the contractor.[9]

They founded Dividian Production Group in 2002 with their older brother JD. They live in Las Vegas.[8] Both brothers stand tall at 6'5"."

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

Drew has a girlfriend, tiny, short adorable Asian woman from Toronto who is part of the business and travels with them.  Johnathan is single, divorced young.  Some googling said one lives in Vancouver and the other in Las Vegas.  These articles were from 2013 so hard to know if things remain the same.   

I doubt they all live together though the premise of this show seems to imply this.  

• Love 2

I don't watch any of their shows, so the answer would be no. They're just eye candy, unlike Tareq and Christina on Flip or Flop who really do the work they show for a living.

Is that the couple in California that live in Yorba Linda? I live near them...like...I can walk to their house. You don't know how scurred that makes me.