Type keyword(s) to search

Property Brothers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

😲 I am watching this right now. Meghan sounds like she inhaled helium. She is his daughter, not his wife.

I felt bad for her. Imagine how hard it can be for her to be taken seriously. Especially as a woman. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I felt bad for her. Imagine how hard it can be for her to be taken seriously. Especially as a woman. 

They seem to be rolling in dough. Why doesn't she get speech therapy?

• Love 1

I just watch an episode where they renovated a home of a woman with a toddler whose husband recently died. It was a really moving episode. The brothers were really sweet and caring with her. Made me tear up a bit even.

• Love 3
On 6/20/2019 at 9:41 PM, ArtFossil said:

They seem to be rolling in dough. Why doesn't she get speech therapy?

Seriously? She was also short, should she have a doctor break her bones and try to regrow them to get taller?

• Love 2
On 6/28/2019 at 9:25 AM, Grrarrggh said:

Seriously? She was also short, should she have a doctor break her bones and try to regrow them to get taller?

I'm with you. I just saw the episode and it's not like she has a vocal fry, which is a choice. That's just her voice. I have a lisp and had to go through speech therapy for a couple years when I was a kid and you know what? I still have the lisp. It takes such a concerted effort to change how you speak that ultimately, for me, it wasn't worth it. I don't have a problem with my lisp (and I'm guessing she doesn't have a problem with her voice) and if other people do then oh well, they can deal with it.

• Love 3

Are they doing Brother vs. Brother this summer? That's actually my favorite iteration of the show. Probably because the oldest brother is my favorite Scott boy. 

I know they just launched Forever Home, though. I don't get how it's different from their other shows. 

On 7/1/2019 at 3:25 PM, topanga said:

I know they just launched Forever Home, though. I don't get how it's different from their other shows. 

It's not fundamentally different, but there's no house-shopping at all. The people are already living in the house (in the cases I can remember, at least) -- often have been for many years -- and have no intention of moving. So it's a pure home renovation show. Drew takes the owners to see a house for "style inspiration" and they present the owners with two slightly different options for the renovation that they have to choose between, but otherwise it's just: house walk-through and discussion/planning, people move out, demo, renovation, reveal.  

• Love 1

I like The Brothers Scott.

I love open concept. I'm single, I wanna be able to see if a monster is tryna creep in. Same reason I don't want a basement, it's just an extra area to have to check before I go to sleep to make sure no clowns are hiding down there. When I cook, I clean as I go (I keep hot soapy water in my farmhouse sink that I don't have to stand on a stool to wash dishes in) and if I have company, I have no problem telling them to please wash that dish and put the green beans in it, there's a slotted spoon in that drawer to your left. Because we can talk and visit and have fun while I'm finna put this food on my oversized contemporary island with the bar sink. 😉

• LOL 2
On 6/16/2019 at 4:14 PM, chessiegal said:

We live next to a woman who has a pool with a stereo system, bless her heart, who entertains people overnight every damned weekend from April to October. I don't understand why she thinks the whole neighborhood wants to hear her music.

Three words for you:  Greek. House. Music.  [oontz-oontz-oontz-oontz...but in Greek]  That's what my neighbor plays all summer, at window-rattling volume.  We share a fence, and there's no escaping it.  I've never said anything to him, in the interest of maintaining neighbor relations (I just don't want to be "that guy"), but I find myself daydreaming about retaliating with show tunes or boyband music cranked up to a volume that could induce an ear hemorrhage.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

During a major renovation in 2005 we added a surround sound system throughout the house and yard...BOSE speakers (painted to match the ceilings) everywhere controlled by a box in the living room. The outside speakers are only on when I turn them on. So, no complaints from neighbors...perhaps get the literature and leave it in the offenders mailbox. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We've talked to our neighbor about the radio at the pool. Her response was she likes it. Basically she doesn't give a shit.

See what the laws in your area are for noise pollution. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

See what the laws in your area are for noise pollution. 

They don't go into effect until after 11 pm. She just likes to blare it during the day and evenings on weekends.

On 6/21/2019 at 2:37 PM, SimoneS said:

I just watch an episode where they renovated a home of a woman with a toddler whose husband recently died. It was a really moving episode. The brothers were really sweet and caring with her. Made me tear up a bit even.

One of my favorite episodes. 

Drew and Jonathan are both so natural with kids of all ages. I know I sound like a nagging mom, but when are they going to have their own kids? I think they’d be great dads. 

BTW, didn’t their older brother get engaged recently? I forget his name, but I really like him. Maybe the twins will renovate a home for him soon. 

• Love 1

I took my then 10yo grandson to Property Brothers Live  2 years ago....splurged on the meet & greet....their show was the kid's favorite...So he's so starstruck when we get our turn he couldn't talk...at all...They were so wonderful with him, shook his hand, chatted him up and coaxed out responses...They are overgrown 7th graders with no shame...but such wonderful souls. They will be great dads at some point. #teamjonathan

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, topanga said:

BTW, didn’t their older brother get engaged recently? I forget his name, but I really like him. Maybe the twins will renovate a home for him soon. 

Yes, the older brother JD is engaged, and they did renovate his house on a recent episode of the "Forever Home" series.  

https://watch.hgtv.com/tv-shows/property-brothers-forever-home/full-episodes/jd-and-annalee

It was an interesting episode -- JD's fiancee is kind of hard to describe (very pink and bubblegum but not in a weird little girl sort of way), and they seem very sweet and happy together. But the house was a quite modest smaller home in Vegas that JD has apparently been living in for a while (and more recently with Annalee), and the renovation wasn't anything crazy high-end or the like. Mostly practical and just making it work better for them and sprucing it up and matching their combined styles, rather than the bachelor pad it had been.  

19 minutes ago, topanga said:

That was one of my favorite episodes too. She was so sweet and in such a hard situation, and they were wonderful with her and her child.

• Love 3

Just saw the Las Vegas Mark and Dave episode. What a sweet episode! I love the Property Brothers because their designs are clean and elegant but even more so because they are so compassionate and good-natured. They empathize with their homeowners and truly want to help make their lives better. 

• Love 3

I’m loving the Vegas episode. The property brothers have always been an inclusive show, but I appreciate their openness-yes, let’s create a drag room! How can we make it the best drag room possible! Love love love.

• Love 4

Watching "Hometown Vegas." Sweet couple with two young children. I only wish the wife hadn't bought into the vocal fry craze. (I'm kind of a "Get off my soundtrack" kind of person when I hear that. 😀)

Edited by ArtFossil
On 8/1/2019 at 8:00 PM, ArtFossil said:

Watching "Hometown Vegas." Sweet couple with two young children. I only wish the wife hadn't bought into the vocal fry craze. (I'm kind of a "Get off my soundtrack" kind of person when I hear that. 😀)

I heard nothing odd about her voice. But I hated their house. One big room that looks exactly like every other Property Brother's rooms. Boring. 

On 7/27/2019 at 11:48 AM, Dawn said:

Yes, the older brother JD is engaged, and they did renovate his house on a recent episode of the "Forever Home" series.  

https://watch.hgtv.com/tv-shows/property-brothers-forever-home/full-episodes/jd-and-annalee

It was an interesting episode -- JD's fiancee is kind of hard to describe (very pink and bubblegum but not in a weird little girl sort of way), and they seem very sweet and happy together. But the house was a quite modest smaller home in Vegas that JD has apparently been living in for a while (and more recently with Annalee), and the renovation wasn't anything crazy high-end or the like. Mostly practical and just making it work better for them and sprucing it up and matching their combined styles, rather than the bachelor pad it had been.  

That was one of my favorite episodes too. She was so sweet and in such a hard situation, and they were wonderful with her and her child.

JD has been really ill with a mystery ailment, a lot of which was going on during their home renovation.  He’s still not cured, but doing better.  

https://people.com/health/property-brothers-sibling-jd-scott-mystery-illness-exclusive/

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Why did the Brothers have to force open concept on that nice man who didn't want it?? 

I'm glad he refused to pay for the necessary beam for open concept and got his defined dining room space. It was disappointing that the Brothers didn't mount the TV over the fireplace after telling him that that was where it would go.

• Love 2
On 7/27/2019 at 11:48 AM, Dawn said:

es, the older brother JD is engaged, and they did renovate his house on a recent episode of the "Forever Home" series.  

I don't see a separate thread for Forever Home. 

I liked the master bathroom reno a lot. But the rest of the house was very dark--dark gray paint, black faux-brick walls, black barn door (blah!), dark counter tops, etc. 

But JD and Annalee loved it, and that's all that matters. I do hope this is their forever home, however. If they ever decide to sell, they might have to brighten it up a bit. 

And having a laundry closet in a hall is never my idea of fun. Although it's just the two of them right now, so it might not be a problem. 

Edited by topanga

I saw last night's new episode in Las Vegas, with a family that had seven children, and the wife was so pregnant that I was afraid Jonathan was going to have help with the delivery at the demo scene.      The daughters were so cute, and bake and sell tons of cookies to raise money for charity.    The family was living with grandma, and I can't imagine having nine people living with you.     I really liked the house, and the family.    I really wish that they had the space, and plumbing to put in another washer/dryer.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I saw last night's new episode in Las Vegas, with a family that had seven children, and the wife was so pregnant that I was afraid Jonathan was going to have help with the delivery at the demo scene.      The daughters were so cute, and bake and sell tons of cookies to raise money for charity.    The family was living with grandma, and I can't imagine having nine people living with you.     I really liked the house, and the family.    I really wish that they had the space, and plumbing to put in another washer/dryer.   

The house was NICE!  But seriously, I can barely keep my place clean and it’s just me.  I can’t imagine having 9 people making a mess of a home EVERY DAY!

• Love 1
On 8/29/2019 at 9:01 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I would go nuts living with a family that big in an open concept house and no bedroom of my own. Poor children. 

Edited by Grrarrggh

It's Jonathan.  Drew's married.    Jonathan had gained some weight a couple of years ago, he had shoulder issues, and I think wasn't working out as usual, but I noticed he seems to have lost weight, and the brothers look more alike now.   

There were a couple of Vegas reruns tonight, and I really enjoyed them.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I'm really enjoying the Vegas episodes.   So many of the Vegas homes have been so over the top, and were from the 80's, and 90's, so it's like a campy time capsule.    The one tonight was a date McMansion, but I loved the pool.   

At last, a house hunter that said she thought the house was too big for their needs.    I have to admit, I've never seen giant gold tassels on kitchen cabinet handles before.   The tassels are so ugly that I hope they buy the house, and redo the kitchen.    

Good lord the woman with the Instagram famous dog may be one of the most annoying women I have ever seen on this show. I wanted to duct tape her mouth shut. Stopping hopping up and down like a 5 year old.

• Love 1

Young Vegas couple with seemingly unlimited air of entitlement dodged a disaster. For the house they didn’t choose, fatherless, wifeless Jonathan designed the “must have for helicopter mom” open plan with a large children’s playroom at the end, kitchen, living room, etc. Imagine always having the kids’ stuff out and visible no matter where you were.

But wait, what was with replacing the desert landscaping with lush green grass—in the desert?! Yeah, it’s boomers who don’t care, I guess.

• Love 3

Interesting that Jonathan replaced the desert landscaping with sod.   In his own house, he only put some really nice artificial turf, and everything else was desert landscaping. 

That must have been a choice of the home owners.   I suspect they get a lot more input than the show implies. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

That must have been a choice of the home owners.   I suspect they get a lot more input than the show implies. 

I'm not sure if that makes what the brothers do to those houses worse or better.

• Love 3

Sunday morning binge watching.  The first episode I watched was the drag queen in Las Vegas.  His voice went right through me and he never shut up!  However Jonathan did a beautiful mid-century modern house, complete with a "drag room" for them.  The couch was orange!!  It was really nice.

Now I'm watching newlyweds on a golf course and I absolutely hate the wife.  She's just so bitchy and short when she speaks. 

Of course we have the white kitchen, open concept, giant island because you need to have your kids doing homework while you cook and when you entertain every night the guests must sit and watch you cook

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Sunday morning binge watching.  The first episode I watched was the drag queen in Las Vegas.  His voice went right through me and he never shut up!  However Jonathan did a beautiful mid-century modern house, complete with a "drag room" for them.  The couch was orange!!  It was really nice.

Now I'm watching newlyweds on a golf course and I absolutely hate the wife.  She's just so bitchy and short when she speaks. 

Of course we have the white kitchen, open concept, giant island because you need to have your kids doing homework while you cook and when you entertain every night the guests must sit and watch you cook

Hahaha I am watching too and came to comment on that woman. Wow she was so bitchy & rude!!!  And I don’t get the weird rec room space they showed w the sink. Game room?  Whhhhy?  That was such a weird waste of space. 

• Love 1
On 6/20/2019 at 9:42 AM, Grrarrggh said:

I'm watching this one right now.  Yikes!!!  She does sound like she swallowed helium. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

I'm watching this one right now.  Yikes!!!  She does sound like she swallowed helium. 

Had to turn the volume off for the reveal. 

No shame in speech therapy, lots of people get it. Anyone remember Tara Lipinski when she won the Olympics? Minnie Mouse on helium. Now, she talks totally different. Unless Megan is a children’s show star, get researching and book a class or a therapist, or something. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Had to turn the volume off for the reveal. 

No shame in speech therapy, lots of people get it. Anyone remember Tara Lipinski when she won the Olympics? Minnie Mouse on helium. Now, she talks totally different. Unless Megan is a children’s show star, get researching and book a class or a therapist, or something. 

So she should take the time and money to change the pitch of her voice because people are bigoted? Yikes. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

So she should take the time and money to change the pitch of her voice because people are bigoted? Yikes. 

ITA. Maybe she went through speech therapy and it didn't work, which I say that as someone who still has a lisp despite years of speech therapy as a kid. Maybe she doesn't care that other people have a problem with her voice. Either way, maybe we can stop policing women's voices.

I turned on an episode today but turned it off after a few minutes because they were touring a home built in the 70's and the kitchen had a pass through to the dining room and of course they were like, "Isn't it sO cRaZy that this was the style at the time?" It really annoyed me, probably because I HATE open floor plans, and it's just like, my dudes, the way you talk about these 70's floor plans is the way people are going to talk about open floor plans in 30 years. Like, "Isn't it so crazy that people wanted to put their living rooms in their kitchens?" 

• Love 5

Well, the double island wasn't quite as horrible as it first sounded. I'll give them that. I admit, with a sigh, that open concept doesn't seem to be going anywhere, but man I hope the open shelving in the kitchen dies the death fast. Remember a few years ago when the trend was all about ridiculously tall cabinets that went to the ceiling? I think Good Bones actually built a library ladder to get to the top shelves at one points. At least those were practical. The other thing I've seen in a couple of these shows is this awkward collection of small chairs and a side table between the dining area and the living room area. It looks like an office waiting area and I don't have a clue how you'd use it in an actual house. 

• Love 1