Type keyword(s) to search

Property Brothers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I still watch their other shows but dropped this one. Too much angst from the selling family and even once the house is all looking great, it's hard to deeply care because the family isn't staying there and usually the new place also needs work and after watching the regular Property Brothers, the show always ends feeling undone.  Honestly, I feel like they did Buying and Selling so the Drew got to do more than just show up for the first ten minutes of the other show. 

3 minutes ago, LadyKenobi said:

I enjoy the twins but I gotta wonder what Drew actually *does* during shooting. IRL the house is often already bought before the show is shot! And even if they do use him to help find a house, he can’t possibly be licensed all these places. 

I guess they’re hurling Linda at us to fill in the gaps, which is obnoxious. I’m sure she’s a nice person with her own accomplishments but I really don’t have a lot of patience for women who get famous or money thrown at them solely for who they’re banging/marrying. 

These 2 are card carrying SAG actors. They have a show because of their purrtty faces. No way Drew is "helping" them find a house. Fake, fake, fake.

• Love 5

Well, I had a real estate license for 4 years. Piece of cake to get one. Which one of them does/did magic shows in Vegas? And they have a brother who works in TV production, I think. Their show is a sham.

• Love 4

Saw the episode where the wife had Jonathan improve the garage as a surprise for the hubby. Either he knew about it or is a terrible actor, because his reaction was underwhelming to me as far as being appreciative. I think there was a peck on the cheek ... I would have hugged my partner, jumped up and down, starting crying, etc.

Did not like the decorating in the living room and dining area. Kitchen layout seemed a little strange to me, but they go through it so quickly who even knows. For example, the sink was at the island, but then there was a whole other area of the kitchen. Couldn't tell if there was another sink over there.  I did like the wall with the wall-mounted ovens, the cooktop (or was it another oven?), and fridge.

Also, when they were looking at the house way over their budget in the beginning, I would have told my kids not to touch anything, OR, not taken the kids at all. How rude, but typical for today's parents. Girls were cute though.

I have a bunch on my DVR that I am binging as I clean my house.  They are my gold standard for decor.  I love their style and I like them.  I haven’t watched any of their shows in a longtime so I am far from burnout which can happen with any show. 

I just watched a Nashville house where the young woman wanted BoHo.  Adorable. I am in love with the black and white tile in the kitchen.  Very unique decor. 

I hate fireplaces.  Just sharing. :> I have one in the master bedroom and I live in the desert.  Nuts

• Love 1
(edited)

Not sure where to post this so for better or worse, here I go. Because I watch Trading Spaces and Nate and Jeremiah on TLC, I caught Drew and Linda in Love....the whole wedding thing for the Scott's. Did anyone else catch it? I noted at the end that the Brothers were the producers and it was such a "promotional thing" that I was surprised that I was moved with the whole story. You can tell the family is really close and everyone was in tears throughout the festivities and wedding itself because of this closeness. I did have to laugh when Linda and Drew spoke their vows. Linda had a sheet of paper with all of her thoughts written down...Drew on the other hand, had his on his phone. Can't anyone, anywhere do without their phone for a little while? All in all, it was a beautiful ceremony but I still don't know why they had to have a destination wedding when they have that beautiful home in Canada that they could have used especially when there was a chance that their father would not be able to attend because of health issues. Oh well, that was their choice and it did turn out lovely.

Edited by suebee12
correct spelling is a good thing, along with proper English!
  • Love 3

I watched too. Linda's ceremony gown was amazing.  Loved the bridesmaids dresses and the kilts on the guys. Both moms and dads walking down the aisle was a beautiful touch.

I'm a sap, I teared up a few times.

Felt the drama with "will dad make the wedding" was scripted. They're supposedly calling him every day because of his heart issue, and are super close, but dad calls and says "oh, I had the surgery"??  It just was super odd.

Are choreographed wedding dances a thing now?

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

Are choreographed wedding dances a thing now?

They must be since I have seen a lot of them popping up on YouTube. Of course, one of the reasons that Drew and Linda had all of that dancing was because of his being on Dancing With the Stars. Emma and Sasha did the choreography for their first dance and I would imagine were a big part of the group dance. I saw a YouTube of Emma and Sasha's wedding and the brother's were very prominent at their wedding.

One thing that surprised me was their father's age....they stated he was 84 so the boys came around late in life...wonder how old their mother is? I imagine if folks have missed this show, it will be repeated over and over again on TLC, I just happened to catch it on the premier.

After meeting them both I can't choose a favorite.  They stayed at my daughter's hotel while they filmed the new series in the Bay Area.  As I was going in one day they were going out. They both smiled and said hi and started talking to me.  They're both very sweet and I found them extremely charming.  They started a bidding war between them over my wheelchair, they joked that they were tired and needed it more than me. They "fought" over my daughter's head that they both wanted to use for an armrest.   They had me and my daughter laughing like crazy. 

I was never a big fan, I watched a few episodes here and there but after meeting them, they've turned me into a fan. I have pictures but they keep saying the pictures are too big to post. I'll keep trying.  

• Love 14
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, chessiegal said:

Well, I had a real estate license for 4 years. Piece of cake to get one. Which one of them does/did magic shows in Vegas? And they have a brother who works in TV production, I think. Their show is a sham.

Long time lurker, first time poster.  In Northern Cal, there's an entertainment reporter that said at he met up with the brothers at every tryout for every sitcom, movie, etc. while he was trying to break into the "business."  He tried out with them for a Mutant Ninja Turtle movie too, not sure how long ago that was.  I've heard the same thing, they are SAG card actors.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, RoseofSharon said:

I still watch their other shows but dropped this one. Too much angst from the selling family and even once the house is all looking great, it's hard to deeply care because the family isn't staying there and usually the new place also needs work and after watching the regular Property Brothers, the show always ends feeling undone.  Honestly, I feel like they did Buying and Selling so the Drew got to do more than just show up for the first ten minutes of the other show. 

I like Buying and Selling better since Andrew (Drew barely showed up in the other show and I prefer Andrew (Drew)

• Love 1

Good grief, In watching these marathons, is there a couple that IS NOT annoying beyond belief? In a way, I like the Fixer Upper concept better in that the homeowners show up to pick out and buy the house, they okay the initial design, and then we don't see them again until the end, when everything is done.  No fussbudget husbands and indecisive wives changing their minds constantly. 

• Love 1

I kinda like when there´s some terrible DIY job done by the owner that has to be redone, or finish a basement they started like, YEARS ago and left it hanging. Sometimes they hilariously (and inexplicably) defend a feature in the house that clearly has to go and fight Jonathan about it: "but I LOVE this". Dude, you´re moving out, just paint the damn fireplace.

On 7/21/2018 at 1:40 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

Good grief, In watching these marathons, is there a couple that IS NOT annoying beyond belief? In a way, I like the Fixer Upper concept better in that the homeowners show up to pick out and buy the house, they okay the initial design, and then we don't see them again until the end, when everything is done.  No fussbudget husbands and indecisive wives changing their minds constantly. 

Except on Fixer Upper, Joanna and Chip have to call homeowners every time they uncover a new “surprise” during the renovation. 

I know some people find the brothers’ personalities kind of annoying, but I find the two of them to be rather cute and charming. They both have a natural rapport with children, and they manage to make even the stuffiest homeowner crack a smile. 

• Love 4
On 7/3/2018 at 5:16 PM, Maharincess said:

After meeting them both I can't choose a favorite.  They stayed at my daughter's hotel while they filmed the new series in the Bay Area.  As I was going in one day they were going out. They both smiled and said hi and started talking to me.  They're both very sweet and I found them extremely charming.  They started a bidding war between them over my wheelchair, they joked that they were tired and needed it more than me. They "fought" over my daughter's head that they both wanted to use for an armrest.   They had me and my daughter laughing like crazy. 

I was never a big fan, I watched a few episodes here and there but after meeting them, they've turned me into a fan. I have pictures but they keep saying the pictures are too big to post. I'll keep trying.  

How exciting. I’ve wondered how they were off-camera. Sounds like most of their friendly charm is authentic. 

I still like Drew better. I do like Jonathan, but he loves himself enough for the both of us. 

• Love 2
On 7/28/2018 at 6:45 PM, topanga said:

I know some people find the brothers’ personalities kind of annoying, but I find the two of them to be rather cute and charming. They both have a natural rapport with children, and they manage to make even the stuffiest homeowner crack a smile. 

I have to agree.  They are pleasant to watch and I generally like their designs so I really don't care how "real" it is.  Just nice easy watching. 

Some of the home owners, however, drive me nuts.  The rerun just watched had the germophobic wife.  Thank heavens her son didn't get her neuroses, seemed like a normal seven year old and he really threw himself into the demolition!

• Love 3
On 7/21/2018 at 12:40 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

But that's reality. Homeowners that are building or renovating are constantly making changes. Sometimes you have to when you see something actually done in the space. My dad was a building contractor for 40 years and it drove him nuts but sometimes when you see things in the space, they don't work or you don't like it. He remodeled my house a few years ago and I made a few changes - not huge, but changes nontheless. 

• Love 2

What was up with that last family in the ALL WOOD, ALL THE TIME house/cabin? 

The bros did a magnificent job contemporizing it worth light,  white, and clean lines. 

Showing the whole  family together in every scene was a bit much.  Since when do kids get a say in buying a house?  Not in my family. Unless they pony up some $, like Mammaw. 

I'll be shocked if anyone finds this thread now.  Anyway, I'm not a a fan of the show, but, recently saw that the brothers were renovating the REAL old Brady Bunch house!  Now THAT is something that I want to see.  Anyone know when it's going to air?  The original Brady Bunch kids are helping!  What a great idea. 

• Love 2

Poor HGTV. Losing their cash cow Gaineses, stuck with these two bros and half of Tarek and Christina (who together weren’t much), oh and a terrifying David ContestWinner stalking nouveau riche. Very basic cable. (Looking for new background channel—this one has become annoying af.)

• Love 3
On 2/1/2019 at 10:41 AM, 65mickey said:

I read where is is scheduled to air September 2019. Long wait. 

Here's an update and apparently, it's going to air under the name of A VERY BRADY RENOVATION, so, I couldn't tell if it's on Property Brothers or not.  But, not sure where else to put this link. lol  I can barely wait!!!! I hope it's worth waiting for. 

https://people.com/home/the-brady-bunch-kids-gush-over-their-newly-renovated-iconic-tv-home-its-very-nostalgic/

• Love 1

I like the fun dynamic of the Scott brothers, but not their new show. I couldn't believe that remodel of that family's first floor was $125,000. Crazy. I would have told them, "no way."

On 5/25/2019 at 4:51 PM, Grrarrggh said:

I'm wholly sick of the open concept is the only concept cult that the Property Brothers have. Because of that I've stopped watching them. 

I HATE open concept, but it isn't the brothers' fault. Every HGTV show and interior design Web site pimps open concept because our society has decided that it is "must have."

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/14/2019 at 1:10 AM, buttersister said:

Poor HGTV. Losing their cash cow Gaineses, stuck with these two bros and half of Tarek and Christina (who together weren’t much), oh and a terrifying David ContestWinner stalking nouveau riche. Very basic cable. (Looking for new background channel—this one has become annoying af.)

I have no idea what the ratings are like, but I will take the Property Brothers over the Gaineses any day of the week. At least, Jonathan incorporates the homeowners' actual style into the remodel and interior design unlike Joanna who imposes her predictable boring design style with her obsession with ridiculous shiplap onto their homes.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7
(edited)
6 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I like the fun dynamic of the Scott brothers, but not their new show. I couldn't believe that remodel of that family's first floor was $125,000. Crazy. I would have told them, "no way."

I HATE open concept, but it isn't the brothers' fault. Every HGTV show and interior design Web site pimps open concept because our society has decided that it is "must have."

It is their fault because they were on the front of the OC bandwagon. Other HGTV shows do non open concept or a more realistic mix. The brothers do ONLY open concept and then talk about it as if it IS the only way you can design a house. 

Edited by Grrarrggh
(edited)
2 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

It is their fault because they were on the front of the OC bandwagon. Other HGTV shows do non open concept or a more realistic mix. The brothers do ONLY open concept and then talk about it as if it IS the only way you can design a house. 

I have watched HGTV for years and open concept was around long before the Property Brothers showed up. I remember watching early episodes of House Hunters and rolling my eyes as prospective homebuyers insisted on open concept. The Property Brothers only do open concept because that is what all their clients demand. It is the same with the Gainses, Love it and List it, etc. They only do open concept also. Just once I would someone would not be a sheep and insist on a wall staying. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Just once I would someone would not be a sheep and insist on a wall staying. 

This!

My home was built in 1987 and has rooms. Real rooms with real doorways. A living room, a dining room, a kitchen with breakfast area, a family room, and a laundry room on the first floor. And (gasp!) the living room, dining room, stairs, bedrooms, and bonus room above the garage are carpeted. We had engineered hardwood put in the family room some years ago and I wish I hadn't. It's a pain to keep clean with four cats and all their fur.

Edited by CruiseDiva
Spelling matters.
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I have watched HGTV for years and open concept was around long before the Property Brothers showed up. I remember watching early episodes of House Hunters and rolling my eyes as prospective homebuyers insisted on open concept. The Property Brothers only do open concept because that is what all their clients demand. It is the same with the Gainses, Love it and List it, etc. They only do open concept also. Just once I would someone would not be a sheep and insist on a wall staying. 

I can't believe EVERY SINGLE person on the PB show goes on it wanting open concept. I think it's the brother' requirement considering how much they harp on it. They sound like they're selling a religion not a home design. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I think that the people who apply for PB's shows want open concept, or they wouldn't apply.   Actually, if you don't want contemporary, or modern style, open concept, and a little glitz, then Property Brothers isn't the show for you to go on.     

I really watch for the overall house transformation, but a lot of why I watch is the fun range of homeowners.     Some are so much fun.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I still remember the one couple that didn’t want the entire lower floor open.  Jonathan thought they were crazy, but they said they wanted their formal living room to be closed off from the kitchen. The renovation came out looking great!  Too bad he didn’t learn. I don’t want all of the rooms to be completely separate, but a little separation isn’t bad. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

I still remember the one couple that didn’t want the entire lower floor open.  Jonathan thought they were crazy, but they said they wanted their formal living room to be closed off from the kitchen.

I remember that episode too and how Jonathan was opposed to it. Or at least I think it was the same episode. I doubt they had a second couple not want an open floor plan. 

I hate open floor plans because it always looks like people are just living in a big kitchen. And I HATE when they give the home buyers a big-ass kitchen and dining space and a teeny tiny living area. Controversial opinion (maybe?): living rooms should be bigger than kitchens/dining rooms.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

I remember that episode too and how Jonathan was opposed to it. Or at least I think it was the same episode. I doubt they had a second couple not want an open floor plan. 

I hate open floor plans because it always looks like people are just living in a big kitchen. And I HATE when they give the home buyers a big-ass kitchen and dining space and a teeny tiny living area. Controversial opinion (maybe?): living rooms should be bigger than kitchens/dining rooms.

I want a big-ass kitchen so I have room to cook, but I also want an even bigger living room and a separate formal dining room. These people who insist they love to entertain and want a completely open floor plan puzzle me. I rarely entertain, but when I do, I don’t want my guests watching me cook or looking into a kitchen cluttered with debris from cooking. Nor do I want to cook everything ahead of time and then frantically clean up the kitchen just before guests arrive. 

• Love 7

I think this is the rerun I saw last night.  If it was the one in Richmond, CA, that price was probably normal, considering it's in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I don't know how anyone can afford to live there these days.

• Love 1
On 6/3/2019 at 7:20 PM, BookWoman56 said:

I want a big-ass kitchen so I have room to cook, but I also want an even bigger living room and a separate formal dining room. These people who insist they love to entertain and want a completely open floor plan puzzle me. I rarely entertain, but when I do, I don’t want my guests watching me cook or looking into a kitchen cluttered with debris from cooking. Nor do I want to cook everything ahead of time and then frantically clean up the kitchen just before guests arrive. 

THIS.

Like, okay, I can understand the people who have small children and it may give them peace of mind to keep on eye on their brats while they're cooking, but other people? Side eye. The apartment I currently live in is far too small to be hosting dinners, but if I had the space, I sure as hell wouldn't want people staring at me as I cook. Nor would I want all that clutter all over to be visible while we eat.

I'll never understand these completely open floor plans; to me they always look more like furniture showrooms that are sectioned off ie. the living section, the kitchen section, the dining section, etc. I agree with you, the people who insist on those floor plans puzzle me.

• Love 6
On 6/2/2019 at 10:27 PM, CruiseDiva said:

This!

My home was built in 1987 and has rooms. Real rooms with real doorways. A living room, a dining room, a kitchen with breakfast area, a family room, and a laundry room on the first floor. And (gasp!) the living room, dining room, stairs, bedrooms, and bonus room above the garage are carpeted. We had engineered hardwood put in the family room some years ago and I wish I hadn't. It's a pain to keep clean with four cats and all their fur.

I agree about the hardwood.  I've never understood why so many say hardwood is easy to keep clean.  I don't mind an open living area/kitchen though.  

• Love 1

I love hardwood floors and have them in my living, dining and kitchen.  I don't have to worry about them staining like carpets.  As far as I'm concerned, the only place carpet should be is in the bedrooms.

• Love 1
(edited)

The last episode of one of their shows that I watched the real estate brother wanted the homeowners to convert a small bedroom into a living space to make it more attractive to sell, I practically cheered when the wife pushed back hard, insisting that it remain a bedroom. It is rarely a good idea to lose a bedroom if you are intending to sell. The couple still were able to sell the house over the list price so they saved money not doing that wrongheaded remodel.

As for carpet, I am not a clean freak and I find it disgusting, especially when you have pets. I don't care how deep carpet is cleaned, the dirt and various pet messes are never completely eliminated. I would give my right arm for hardwood or tile floors. I have never been able to escape carpet in the places that I have lived, one day hopefully.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:20 PM, BookWoman56 said:

These people who insist they love to entertain and want a completely open floor plan puzzle me. I rarely entertain, but when I do, I don’t want my guests watching me cook or looking into a kitchen cluttered with debris from cooking. Nor do I want to cook everything ahead of time and then frantically clean up the kitchen just before guests arrive. 

After years of watching these HGTV shows, I have concluded that these people who claim to have large families and tons of friends who they apparently entertain every week so they need a wide open space are mostly lying because they want to justify wanting "open concept." 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

The last episode of one of their shows that I watched the real estate brother wanted the homeowners to convert a small bedroom into a living space to make it more attractive to sell, I practically cheered when the wife pushed back hard, insisting that it remain a bedroom. It is rarely a good idea to lose a bedroom if you are intending to sell. The couple still were able to sell the house over the list price so they saved money not doing that wrongheaded remodel.

As for carpet, I am not a clean freak and I find it disgusting, especially when you have pets. I don't care how deep carpet is cleaned, the dirt and various pet messes are never completely eliminated. I would give my right arm for hardwood or tile floors. I have never been able to escape carpet in the places that I have lived, one day hopefully.

After years of watching these HGTV shows, I have concluded that these people who claim to have large families and tons of friend who they apparently entertain every week so they need a wide open space are mostly lying because they want to justify wanting "open concept." 

I do have neighbors around the corner who seem to entertain at least every other weekend, but they added a covered deck to their original back porch, and use that area for entertaining. I can usually hear their music while all that’s going on, but it’s always a weekend and never extremely late, so I don’t care.  Not sure why the HGTV designers rarely suggest this type of solution. 

• Love 1

We live next to a woman who has a pool with a stereo system, bless her heart, who entertains people overnight every damned weekend from April to October. I don't understand why she thinks the whole neighborhood wants to hear her music.

• Love 3

My tv happened to be on hgtv when I turned it on tonight, on the latest PropBros ForeverHome thingie. I've been DVRing them but I stopped the dvr on this one. The wife's voice...I just couldn't listen to that for an hour. Total Minnie Mouse.

4 minutes ago, txvoodoo said:

My tv happened to be on hgtv when I turned it on tonight, on the latest PropBros ForeverHome thingie. I've been DVRing them but I stopped the dvr on this one. The wife's voice...I just couldn't listen to that for an hour. Total Minnie Mouse.

WHY do some women think talking like a helium drunk toddler is cute? Or attractive?

Was the husband a lot older?

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, txvoodoo said:

😲 I am watching this right now. Meghan sounds like she inhaled helium. She is his daughter, not his wife.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

😲 I am watching this right now. Meghan sounds like she inhaled helium. She is his daughter, not his wife.

Strange reno storyline w/the father/daughter duo - but they  did show the wife/mom and bro/son at the reveal

I was kind of hoping  the other family members had the same helium voice....nope

Also hoping for a rendition of the We're the lollipop  kids...😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1