Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E10: Pushing For a Pilot

• Start Topic

It's down to three finalists, but there's a surprise in store when an eliminated contestant reenters the competition after winning Star Salvation on FoodNetwork.com. The final four then battle it out with former finalists helping as their sous chefs. Food Network Star winner Aarti Sequeria joins to help select the final three to shoot pilots, which they then film with help from another winner: Guy Fieri!

I hope Giada & Bobby realize that they are entirely to blame for the embarrassing, ridiculous and juvenile Tregay.  They actively encouraged the stupidity of "Poppin'", "On Fleek" and every other stupid and idiotic thing she said & did.  I absolutely despise her and would never watch a second of her. 

Jennard is the only one I can marginally tolerate, so Go Jennard, I guess.    

• Love 16
(edited)

What was the point of bringing Yaku back if they were just going to eliminate him without giving him a chance to do a pilot?

Tregaye did a massive fail in her first round demo, and I still don't know what Food Fusion on Fleek is. It made me laugh when Monterey chose not to tell her that her corn cake was dry.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 19

Tregaye should NOT have been part of the pilot trio.  She's HORRIBLE (or maybe I just don't fit into her demographic)!  I wonder if they just wanted to keep a woman on. 

And I think the whole Jenard being closeted/down low was kind of hinted when he said something about Damiano winking at the camera. 

• Love 3

Oh, lord. I have to put up with this for another week? I really don't care who wins....'cause I was hoping for a Yaku or Monterey...or even an Ana comeback over these three.....sigh........:(

• Love 8

Tregaye should have been the one to go home.  Her food and her presentation was awful.  And Bobby whispering she really wants it?  Like Yaku doesn't?  I wouldn't tune in to watch her show because I just find her annoying.  And for me that really showed in her pilot. 

I couldn't understand one thing Damiano said in his presentation other than puff pastry.  He spoke way too fast.  I just don't get the whole drooling over him.  It must be something you have to see in person because seeing him on screen he is just not that hot.  I wouldn't watch his show either.  He doesn't seem to have patience in being told what to do.

Jernard was the best of the bunch and I enjoyed watching his promo. Hopefully he wins.

• Love 15
(edited)

Seems the whole Star Salvation thing was just a waste.. smh

Its looking even more evident that the fix is in for Tregaye..though hopefully its Jennard or even Damiano who are announced as the big winner

Edited by TDT
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I think we've pegged Tregaye as the ringer for weeks. 

And wtf with Aarti? Was Melissa D'Arabian not available? (that's sarcasm...couldn't stand either of those phonies)

I sure hope Tregaye doesn't win.  No way I could watch that show.  I was rather impressed Aarti was not wearing a flower.

• Love 5
(edited)

Last year the person who won Star Salvation went right home too - Dom.  Same thing here, except Yaku beat out a lot of people on SS to get back in the competition, while I think Dom only had to beat one or two people. plus Dom at least got to film a pilot.  Which only goes to prove how fake and useless Star Salvation is.  Hey, there is an upside - At least Ana didn't come back!

Yes, we have pegged Tregaye as the winner for weeks.  I still think she will win.  I'm not a Jernard fan either and Damiano is clearly not up to par, so I really don't care who wins anymore.

When Bobby said they were being judged on their performance on that challenge only, I knew that was to justify keeping Tregaye, who clearly didn't excel in this episode.  Like maybe he thought if he repeats it over again we'll actually believe it.  But we see through it anyway.

Aarti looks like she lost a lot of weight.  It's hard to tell with her because she has a large bust, but her face definitely shows it.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 6

When it came down to Tregaye and Yaku, I knew there was no way they were getting rid of Tregaye. 

I never really saw the point in bringing back the other contestants - except for the sake of bring them back. They seem more like a hindrance rather than helpful. 

• Love 1

It's just unfortunate that the person who won SS may be the best chef, but was NOT the demographic they were after this year. You'd think the producers over at SS also know this and just be done with the subterfuge. Yaku was Dead Man Walking this episode. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Tregaye's challenge was the worst.  She could have used the 15 seconds she took to say "Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" (or whatever it was) while pouring on the dressing to explain exactly what it was.  But as usual, it's not about the food, it's about Tregaye being cute. This challenge was supposed to be based on that challenge only.  In that case, Yaku should have beat her.  Just looking at the glances between Bobby and Giada said it all.  But I guess the judges still find her "poppin'", "on fleek" and overall sassiness to be hilarious.  

I've tried to warm up to Damiano...I really have.  But he is so charmless and full of himself.  I will say that his pilot was-a  pretty good-a.

Edited by Albino
  • Love 14
(edited)

Was this season filmed around the time of Bobby and Giada's respective divorces and the rumors of them being a thing? Did anyone else catch the little aside Bobby had during Damiano's judging, when he was telling Giada that "you can make me this [dessert] for my birthday"?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 11

Tregaye is going to win this no matter what she does isn't she?  Her final camera presentation was absolutely terrible.  Bobby and Giada were hell-bent on making excuses for her.  I feel sorry for Yaku who should never have been eliminated when he was, fought his way back with good cooking and should have been in the final three.  He's the only one of the whole bunch that I actually like but, as I said a month ago, I was sure they weren't going to pick a black male two years in a row.  (And that's not racist sour grapes or anything.  I'm white.)  In any event, Yaku is the only one I would have watched.

• Love 8

No, I actually thought the statement about judging them on that performance only meant she was about to go!  Her presentation was horrible and there was a problem with the food. I was inches from not having her "poppin" and then the big let down. I actually thought they were going to get ride of Yaku when his sous chef said there was "a lot going on" in his dish...but then when they said this performance only I was YEAH! she is out of here. No way she is still here!  I didn't even bother to watch her with Guy.   Then Jernard goes over there shuffling and dancing and clowning. I wonder if he split his pants. He has obviously been to the Guy Fieri school of presentation with all the shouting, etc. If this show comes back next year I don't think I can watch.  I have barely watched in years, but I am always sorry when I do.  

• Love 4

What the hell is the point of having them cook all these weeks if the intended end product is simply to visit actual successful restaurants and interview actual successful cooks?  It's like having a bunch of amateurs do time trials in racing cars to win the right to stand on the sidelines and say "There they go around the far curve".

• Love 21
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Christina said:

Yaku winning Star Salvation only to be eliminated over Tregaye just proves that Star Salvation is a better show with better judges. Tregaye bombed.

It really highlights producer intervention with the "judging." Poor Yaku didn't have a prayer. He could have out-Guyed in both presentation (gag) and food (which I find mildly interesting), and still been kicked to the curb. Not poppin or on fleek. 

eta: It is also ABUNDANTLY obvious that the producers told the "sous" chefs to make trouble for the finalists in any way possible. Who's surprised? Didn't think so. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

Dom won the salvation thing last year and was in the final three, IIRC. Of course, Giada was practically throwing her panties at him all season...

How dare Yaku steal Tregaye's highly original "fusion" concept! Yaku should have one over Miss Fleek, but the fix is in. I'd never watch her fleekin' show.

• Love 9

I am admittedly spoiled by watching actual cooks and actual judging on the Great British Baking Show but I was appalled that Damiano stalled out saying that his dish was made with... cream puff... And then came back from commercial to say it was puff pastry. Cream puffs are made with pate a choux and he used puff pastry. Two very different things. And they had the nerve to talk about his "food authority" when nothing he says is intelligible or correct and he is an arrogant jerk when you try to correct him.

Don't even get me started on Tregaye's fleeking bullshit.

• Love 18

I really want to see it back on DVR...Tregaye and her YAAAAHASSSSS head bobbing while dumping that blood on her plate was priiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicelesssssssssssssssss.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhasssssss.

you cannot make this stuff up...she could not have failed harder if she tried.  Can someone loop that?  Omg epic.

• Love 13

I hate when TV contestants say their family depends on them to win.  Then get a job!

"I really like Rob because he can" COOK.  Why was that word dubbed in?

"Damiano is Italian for dictator."  Well, it's his to win or lose, not yours. Suck it up or leave. God damn it, Rob is annoying!

God, Tregaye is annoying.

Damn, Jernard, don't kill yourself!

Dammit, they just keep propping Tregaye.  What will it take to get rid of her?

Didn't Damiano come to America with his father?  Didn't his father come to America to improve the lives of his family?

So once again, Damiano's show will be to travel and taste, not to cook. And Jernard, too.  No cooking?

Yes, Tregaye, it can be that bad.

Hm, the woman at the bar behind Tregaye was barely wearing anything.  Giada's kind of wardrobe.

2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

What was the point of bringing Yaku back if they were just going to eliminate him without giving him a chance to do a pilot?

That's what they do every year.  Nothing different with this.

• Love 4
(edited)

At least Tregaye acknowledged the fact she was on Guys Grocery Games..

Of course should she win,and after her show completes its run we will see her among the rotating panel of judges..and maybe be a judge on Beat Bobby Flay as well

Edited by TDT
  • Love 2
(edited)
35 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I am admittedly spoiled by watching actual cooks and actual judging on the Great British Baking Show but I was appalled that Damiano stalled out saying that his dish was made with... cream puff... And then came back from commercial to say it was puff pastry. Cream puffs are made with pate a choux and he used puff pastry. Two very different things. And they had the nerve to talk about his "food authority" when nothing he says is intelligible or correct and he is an arrogant jerk when you try to correct him.

Don't even get me started on Tregaye's fleeking bullshit.

His dish was a St. Honore cake, which has both puff pastry and cream puffs. He was inarticulate and briefly mispoke but he used both in his dish. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I cannot wait for Tregaye to win and see her travel around the country and explore BBQ.

I cannota wait a for a Damiano to win a so we canna see him a travel arounda the country to explore ah BBQ-a.

I cannot wait for Jernard to win so we can watch him travel around the country impregnating BBQ.

FTW! 

I kept forgetting to mention how hilarious it was that FN couldn't find a bloody FUSION place in LA for Tregaye to pop and be on fleek in. Really? I find that just a little...suspect (what on this show isn't, really?). The guys got to roam around in their milieu, but haven't they given the winner a "fish out of water" concept before? They pretty much did it to Eddie last year; I don't remember him asserting himself as a BBQ expert. Hell, he started out being about healthy eating with the "cheat day." But he's doing BBQ. FN needs ALL the BBQ shows now! 

• Love 1

Although I think Tregaye can be edited to be a decent FN host, I'm going to say that Damiano fills a bigger current gap which is baking host.  I can't understand him at all but his hair is totally on fleek.  

They really need a charming male host who can do and stand n stir in a skin tight shirt showing off his ripped bod.  We aren't hiding objectification on FN so all we need is a willing participant.

sew sumi you get bonus points for using the word millieu, which I haven't heard since an episode of Frasier.  Brrrrravo.

• Love 6

OK, Bobby and Giada - you actually did it.  Chose that loudmouthed, in-your-face Tregaye with her ridiculous shtick over capable, calming Yaku - who was able to project a warmth we didn't see in other contestants.  And he could cook rings around Ms. Fleek/Poppin/Boo.  I like to think of myself as a peaceable person, but when I see Tregaye wrinkle up her nose in that "aren't I cute?" attitude and flail her claws at the camera during her talking heads, I want to punch her lights out.

Like most of you, I don't care who wins next week as long as it isn't You Know Who.

(Have to add - did Rob come across as a boor or what when he was sous-chefing?)

• Love 12
2 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I really want to see it back on DVR...Tregaye and her YAAAAHASSSSS head bobbing while dumping that blood on her plate was priiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicelesssssssssssssssss.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhasssssss.

you cannot make this stuff up...she could not have failed harder if she tried.  Can someone loop that?  Omg epic.

She was awful, I can't understand what Bobby & Giada are thinking when they keep moving her on. In fact, I wonder if they actually have any say in who stays & who goes, I think the network is calling the shots.

• Love 9

It really was pretty amazing.  Her presentation was terrible--she poured some huge amount of unidentified liquid all over the plate of stuff that had a second unidentified sauce, making listeners literally cringe along the way with that extended horn honk noise.  Then her dish was terrible--giant dry flapjacks, accompanied by underseasoned steak and salty lobster . . . Congratulations!  Let's see your pilot!

• Love 18
(edited)

If they want to run a fair competition - which, admittedly, they probably don't - you can not "Salvation" back a contestant to the same judges that eliminated him the first time. Bobby and Giada didn't care for Yaku. Alex and Eddie do. But Bobby and Giada still don't, so waste of time.

The way that should work is that the returning chef goes right into the finals, which are then judged by the network. Or literally anyone else.

4 hours ago, bluepiano said:

The big joke is that they criticized Yaku for not explaining how his dish fused Jamaican and Mexican food, yet NOT ONCE the entire season have I heard Tregaye explain how anything she cooked was "fusion." Fusion between what and what? It was just a buzz word she threw around, while basically cooking anything she wanted.

That's because her POV isn't really fusion. Tregaye's POV is acting foolish around food. And you must admit, she's worked that in pretty consistently.

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 24
5 hours ago, bluepiano said:

The big joke is that they criticized Yaku for not explaining how his dish fused Jamaican and Mexican food, yet NOT ONCE the entire season have I heard Tregaye explain how anything she cooked was "fusion." Fusion between what and what? It was just a buzz word she threw around, while basically cooking anything she wanted. In the old days of this show, the judges (and Bob and Susie) used to beat the "culinary POV" thing into the ground, but at least it did make the contestants have to articulate what they could offer as a FN host.

And in past seasons, each contestant was supposed to have a pilot concept that reflected their POV. But this year all three "pilots" were the same. Visit a restaurant and interview the chef. Except Tregaye didn't even do that. Jernard went to a Cajun restaurant, and Damiano to a bakery. But Tregaye had no culinary POV or special area of expertise they could use.

Saying that judgment was being based solely on tonight's presentation was the fake-out to make us think Tregaye was being eliminated, because she was by far the worst. It may've been the single worst presentation of the entire season. By anyone. She made stupid noises while pouring a sauce she didn't identify into something else she didn't identify, then told us the taste was "popping." Remember when contestants were dinged for using meaningless buzz words to describe a taste? There are no standards on this show anymore. I can't believe she wasn't criticized more harshly tonight. As in, "this is the last presentation of the season and you seem to have gone really backwards."

After tonight's travesty I watched "Cooks and Cons" for the first time. It's yet another silly FN cooking contest show, but the contestants were actually talking like grown-ups, and no one was fleekin' or turning cartwheels or acting like a clown to make the judges howl with stupid laughter. Compared to this year's FN Star, it was like watching "Hamlet" after an Adam Sandler movie.

This a thousand times. I have not watched every episode and I freely admit that I fast forward a LOT, but I don't recall her explaining her fusion, the only thing I heard her say is that she wanted to have a show sitting around with her girlfriends or something like that.  I didn't even watch her whole presentation, but she just has too many annoying mannerisms. 

Is Aarti still on the Food Network?  In fact, I need to go to the thread that tells what has happened to all the winners?  Where is the Sandwich guy...another pick I just did not understand..

• Love 2
(edited)

It's an even year. I should have guessed we were going to get a crappy winner. This show is like the San Francisco Giants.

I suppose that means there's hope for next year.

2015: Eddie Jackson

2014: Lenny McNab

2013: Demaris Phillips

2012:Justin Warner

2011: Jeff Mauro

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, xaxat said:

It's an even year. I should have guessed we were going to get a crappy winner.

I figured Monterey so that (throwing out the duds) it would be boy-girl as it has been all decade, besides her being photogenic and less clownlike than the finalists from the main show, who I thought the producers were just playing with like cats and a laser pointer.  Imagine my surprise.

• Love 2

Can anyone tell me what Bobby said to Jernard after he did the backflip/belly-flop?  I literally covered my eyes with my fingers and went lalalala.  My husband thought I was crazy.  I was seriously suffering from 2nd hand embarrassment for him.  Did he hurt himself?  Jayzus!  

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, xaxat said:

It's an even year. I should have guessed we were going to get a crappy winner. This show is like the San Francisco Giants.

I suppose that means there's hope for next year.

2015: Eddie Jackson

2014: Lenny McNab

2013: Demaris Phillips

2012:Justin Warner

2011: Jeff Mauro

And HOW many of them still have shows running??!!! 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Albino said:

Tregaye's challenge was the worst.  She could have used the 15 seconds she took to say "Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" (or whatever it was) while pouring on the dressing to explain exactly what it was.  But as usual, it's not about the food, it's about Tregaye being cute. This challenge was supposed to be based on that challenge only.  In that case, Yaku should have beat her.  Just looking at the glances between Bobby and Giada said it all.  But I guess the judges still find her "poppin'", "on fleek" and overall sassiness to be hilarious.  

I've tried to warm up to Damiano...I really have.  But he is so charmless and full of himself.  I will say that his pilot was-a  pretty good-a.

When she did that "Gaaaa...", all I could think about was that Madea movie where that annoying baby mama of one of the children would make that sound all the time.  I'm sorry that I cannot think of the specific movie or character, but I guess my point is please let us move on from this train wreck of a show.  bobby, Giada, Tregaye...please put out your torch and leave the building.

I think it was a real bitch move for Monterey not to tell Tregaye that her cakes were dry. Not that I want Tregaye to win, but it was sucky of Monterey not to tell her. She was supposed to be helping her.  Same with the other guy helping Yaku.

I can't understand half of what Damiano says, I don't think he's THAT good looking and he's arrogant. I wouldn't watch him.

I wish Yaku had been able to shoot a pilot -- I was excited to see him back. 

• Love 10
(edited)
9 hours ago, rustyspigot said:

"I wish you could smell the feeling that I smell" is one of the funniest quotes I've heard since Jade on ANTM. I'll just do a Jernard flop and see myself out.

1000+ upvotes for a Jade Cole reference! I'd rather listen to her nonsensical rambling than a bunch of fleekin' poppin'.  I'm not 100% current with slang, since it changes faster than I can refresh an Instagram feed, but isn't that damn "on fleek" thing old now? Yuck.  My spell checker is going ballistic, but unlike Tregaye, I feel it's a little late to add "fleek."

8 hours ago, bluepiano said:

And in past seasons, each contestant was supposed to have a pilot concept that reflected their POV. But this year all three "pilots" were the same. Visit a restaurant and interview the chef. Except Tregaye didn't even do that. Jernard went to a Cajun restaurant, and Damiano to a bakery. But Tregaye had no culinary POV or special area of expertise they could use.

Yes, so much for the POV!  The judges (and mysteriously absent network execs) pushed that hard in previous seasons.  Hell, Sandwich guy is still Sandwich guy.  I also feel like the fix may be in for Tregaye, but I just can't picture the type of show she would do.  The Kitchen?  She could take part in the out-yelling of each other.  (I can't handle that show.)

1 hour ago, roseslg said:

Can anyone tell me what Bobby said to Jernard after he did the backflip/belly-flop?  I literally covered my eyes with my fingers and went lalalala.  My husband thought I was crazy.  I was seriously suffering from 2nd hand embarrassment for him.  Did he hurt himself?  Jayzus!  

Oh my...  That flip flop thing.  I did watch, and for those of you familiar with the Real Housewives of New Jersey (my condolences), it instantly brought to mind Juicy Joe's drunken cartwheel/flip move.  I thought Jenard was going to lose a tooth.  He did get up, but I detected a slight waver in his voice. You know his ass and back were hurting after that stunt.

Finally, Yaku was robbed. I'm not surprised.  I hate to say it, though...but his beard was distracting - only because it totally looked like there was some Soul Glo in it.  Instead of leaving marks on furniture, it might drip into food.  (Thanks Eriq La Salle, for those indelible images.) This has been such a lackluster season.

Edited by LunchBreak
I'm mixing quotes from other shows.
  • Love 3

At one point, I was leaning toward Tregaye because she wasn't as outrageous as she has become and also because her THs were sensible -- she came off as an adult with something pertinent to say.  That's changed and now I cannot imagine watching her fusion show, whatever that means.  Jernard is OK and may just pull it off.  And then there's Damiano, who has produced some good looking food, but who needs subtitles.  I can't believe FN would want that, but who knows with that crew.  This is when I wish Suzy and Bob were there to bring some reality to this so-called reality show.  There's been a lot of embarrassing moments this season, but the greatest in my book has to be Bobby and Giada.  Eddie and Alex on Star Salvation were so much on point and should be promoted to FN regulars next season.  

• Love 8
1 minute ago, schnauzergirl said:

At one point, I was leaning toward Tregaye because she wasn't as outrageous as she has become and also because her THs were sensible -- she came off as an adult with something pertinent to say.  That's changed and now I cannot imagine watching her fusion show, whatever that means.  Jernard is OK and may just pull it off.  And then there's Damiano, who has produced some good looking food, but who needs subtitles.  I can't believe FN would want that, but who knows with that crew.  This is when I wish Suzy and Bob were there to bring some reality to this so-called reality show.  There's been a lot of embarrassing moments this season, but the greatest in my book has to be Bobby and Giada.  Eddie and Alex on Star Salvation were so much on point and should be promoted to FN regulars next season.  

Am I seriously the only person who actually understands Damiano without subtitles?  Is it because I live in a large city and hear different accents all the time? 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, PRgal said:

Am I seriously the only person who actually understands Damiano without subtitles?  Is it because I live in a large city and hear different accents all the time? 

PRgal, I understand random words, but it's more work than it's worth.  He also talks very fast and that makes it even harder.  I'm used to different accents, too, and guess I'm putting this in the context of watching an instructional program.

• Love 3