Type keyword(s) to search

Captain Marvel (2019)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yeah, I got that from the trailer but, Human's don't have that kind of power unless they're mutants and in the comics she got her powers from Mar-vell (a Kree).

So the question still stands is she over powered compared to Kree or are the other Kree in this movie just as powerful? If she's over powered why? If not, why didn't we see Ronan flying around and, shooting energy? Considering Kree are the genetic twist that turned Humans into Inhumans giving them all kinds of powers (once activated by the Terrigen Mist) the powers had to come from the Kree infusion.

Now there could be a situation where not all Kree are created equal, just like not all Shi'ar have powers but, if that's the case then I'd hope to see some Kree that are just as powerful as Carol. Otherwise having a Superman type character (which has always bored me) fighting people that are just stronger/more durable than the average human isn't going to interest me.

I never read Captain Marvel comics, all I know about the character comes from X-Men with Rogue stealing her powers (flight, super strength, invulnerability) but, I'm trying to ascertain a baseline for her power level. 

I did some research last night but, there wasn't much info. Kree have Blue skinned (genetically pure) versions and Pink/white Skinned versions that are from Kree mating with other species to try and jump start their frozen evolution. But it didn't say if Blue vs Pink made a difference in power levels.

I'm assuming an explanation will be given in the movie, I was just curious if there was a basis in the comics. 

I see this similar to human biology. We all react differently depending on our DNA. That's why some people are immune/less affected by a virus that would kill another human. It could be that in her case the fact that she isn't really so much a biological human-kree hybrid as she is human+kree+alien technology (during the accident with the exploding spaceship). And it seems that they do further experiments on her (probably DNA manipulation), probably making her even more powerful.

It could also be 2 separate incidents. What happens on Earth which changes her to give her her base power set. And another incident (either because of further experiments or a cosmic event) where she gets her Binary powers (Brie said CM can destroy planets and that's only possible in her Binary mode in the comics).

Edited by Smad
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yeah, I got that from the trailer but, Human's don't have that kind of power unless they're mutants and in the comics she got her powers from Mar-vell (a Kree).

So the question still stands is she over powered compared to Kree or are the other Kree in this movie just as powerful? If she's over powered why? If not, why didn't we see Ronan flying around and, shooting energy? Considering Kree are the genetic twist that turned Humans into Inhumans giving them all kinds of powers (once activated by the Terrigen Mist) the powers had to come from the Kree infusion.

Now there could be a situation where not all Kree are created equal, just like not all Shi'ar have powers but, if that's the case then I'd hope to see some Kree that are just as powerful as Carol. Otherwise having a Superman type character (which has always bored me) fighting people that are just stronger/more durable than the average human isn't going to interest me.

I never read Captain Marvel comics, all I know about the character comes from X-Men with Rogue stealing her powers (flight, super strength, invulnerability) but, I'm trying to ascertain a baseline for her power level. 

I did some research last night but, there wasn't much info. Kree have Blue skinned (genetically pure) versions and Pink/white Skinned versions that are from Kree mating with other species to try and jump start their frozen evolution. But it didn't say if Blue vs Pink made a difference in power levels.

I'm assuming an explanation will be given in the movie, I was just curious if there was a basis in the comics. 

So far the Kree have been all over the scale power wise from Ronan to their portrayal on Agents of SHIELD where in one episode a Kree is able to go toe to toe with the Asgardian Lady Sif and yet in another a wounded Agent Melinda May was able to go through Kree guards almost as easily as Black Widow was able to go through human guards. So if the Kree were able to genetically modify people into Inhumans can they also do so postpartum?

34 minutes ago, Raja said:

So far the Kree have been all over the scale power wise from Ronan to their portrayal on Agents of SHIELD where in one episode a Kree is able to go toe to toe with the Asgardian Lady Sif and yet in another a wounded Agent Melinda May was able to go through Kree guards almost as easily as Black Widow was able to go through human guards. So if the Kree were able to genetically modify people into Inhumans can they also do so postpartum?

I guess?  My understanding was that the Kree came to Earth Millions of years ago, genetically altered early humans and created the Inhumans as slaves.  Much much later like within the last 20K years The Inhumans found and started using the Terrigen Mist to give/activate super human powers.  I've always assumed that was related to the Kree Genetics but, who knows. with Comics so much changes so often it's hard to keep track especially after you quit reading.

My main concern/hope is that Captain Marvel isn't ridiculously overpowered, I have never liked characters that are godlike it's a big reason why I hate Superman/Supergirl/Wonder Woman and generally prefer Marvel to DC. 

• Love 4

The trailer is okay. It doesn't get me excited and eager to hand over my hard earned cash. Oddly, I am thrown off by the CGI de-aged Fury. I am waiting on the reviews.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

I really loved the trailer.  The actual Captain Marvel suit look really good (I've never been a fan of the Mohawk helmet but whatever).  I'm liking what they're doing with her origins.  I don't think going with her comic origins would really work as it becomes a little too complicated if they skip her origins and if they didn't then she wouldn't even be Captain Marvel until the end.   This way, they keep where her powers come from intact (she got her human DNA mixed with Kree), while opening up some really good story possibilities especially if the Supreme Intelligence is involved (in fact I wonder if he might mastermind whatever the next overarching story line is).   

As I have two cats of my own, I love Fury's interaction with Goose but it's possible he's just good with animals in general (so he'd be the same way with a dog as well).  

• Love 1

It looks...fine. Like your typical Marvel film. They've pretty much got their formula down to a tee, which means that it will likely end up being fun, if not especially memorable, like most of them are.

I will say though, one thing Marvel has consistently nailed has been the casting of their heroes, but I'm not really feeling Larson yet. She's a talented actress, but from the trailers at least doesn't seem to display much in the way of movie-star charisma. I suppose it doesn't help that trailer-Carol doesn't seem to have much personality beyond "stoic badass". Hopefully she can change my mind when we see the whole movie, but I can't help but imagine someone like Charlize Theron in the role, who brought such a commanding presence even to a similarly stoic role in Mad Max, and wondering how different the feel of these trailers would be.

• Love 6

Is it just me or is there something weird about Larson's voice/line readings? For some reason, I can't tell if it's the pitch or the cadence or IDK, but something about it just bugs me and takes me right out of the story. Which is a shame because I really want to like Captain Marvel as the first female-led Marvel film and I'm starting to worry I won't. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, SilverShadow said:

Is it just me or is there something weird about Larson's voice/line readings? For some reason, I can't tell if it's the pitch or the cadence or IDK, but something about it just bugs me and takes me right out of the story. Which is a shame because I really want to like Captain Marvel as the first female-led Marvel film and I'm starting to worry I won't. 

Yeah, it sounds like ADR. I'm really hope she doesn't sound so stilted in the movie.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, SilverShadow said:

Is it just me or is there something weird about Larson's voice/line readings?

Yeah, I have felt that too with these two trailers and I've been trying to unpack why I'm feeling that way.  The line readings are definitely not smooth or confident sounding.  But they are realistic and they are how a real person might talk.  I have no idea if this will carry through to the movie itself, or if there is a plot point/context reason for this so I'm just going to leave it for now.  I had similar issues with Tom Holland's line readings at first (I think because it's really obvious to me that he's trying to hide an accent), but now I'm used to him.  Same might happen with Brie's Carol once I see her in action and get used to her speech patterns.  

The visuals, however, are stunning right out of the gate.  

• Love 1

I am living for Carol in Binary mode. I mean, I know that's not exactly what she is in these shots but that's kind of what it looks like and I am here for it.

My history with Carol is long and complicated since the first I saw of her was when she returned to the X-Mansion and punched Rogue into orbit. And this was already after I had gotten to know Rogue a little bit in the early 90s. So, at first, I saw Carol as something of an antagonist before delving into Rogue's backstory and finding out what really went down there. Plus, the on-going battle in Rogue's mind between Carol having control and Rogue having control... meanwhile, Carol's body is roaming about as Binary with little connection to her own memories even after they had been restored. And let's not get into the situation after Rogue went through the Siege Perilous and yet another embodiment of Carol (the one that Rogue had absorbed into herself) who was somehow separated from Rogue into her own body and fought Rogue to the death because their wasn't enough life force between them to allow both to live. 

To say it was all kinds of fucked up and weird is an understatement. Chris Claremont loved his mind vs body tropes, let me tell you.

Carol went through a bunch of name changes and was she an Avenger? Was she something of a second tier character? She went of to space with the Starjammers and fought the Brood with the X-Men... back in the day it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to find stories that were about HER -- and I wasn't going to touch that fucking cesspool of a Markus story for love or money...

But when they brought her back as Captain Marvel and all of those and loved it. I dropped a lot of books when they started gearing up for Civil War 2 and Carol's was one of them. But getting the full story on the Rogue mess helped a lot. I really like the character a lot and I enjoyed this trailer quite a bit. I KNEW that old lady was a Skrull. And those shots of Carol zooming around through space and just destroying everything was absolutely DELIGHTFUL. And they could load this movie full of Easter Eggs. Not just Kamala Khan but give us some Monica Rambeau PLEASE! Hell, with Carol working with Alpha Flight in comics these days they could throw some Easter Eggs in there, too.

I'm into it.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, anna0852 said:

$10 says the stinger is her recieving the pager message from Fury that we saw at the end of IW.

I'm sure you're right, but this has me wondering about the character's history and how they will introduce her in the next Avengers movie.  This movie takes place in the 90s and Nick knew her then, but we haven't heard of her in any of the Marvel movies so far.  So, will there be a cameo* in Captain Marvel to help tie the two together?  Maybe Natasha, who's known Nick for years? That way in the next movie, when she shows up, Natasha can say something like "Did Nick call you?" and do some introductions.  Since CM is part alien and the Avengers not only had their asses handed to them by an alien being, but watched their friends and half the world go up in dust, I have a hard time they'd immediately believe her when she says that she's there to help.

*I know they really need a cameo to have an introduction scene in the next movie, but I love seeing them cameos, so I'm hoping.

5 hours ago, AshleyN said:

She's a talented actress, but from the trailers at least doesn't seem to display much in the way of movie-star charisma. I suppose it doesn't help that trailer-Carol doesn't seem to have much personality beyond "stoic badass".

It doesn't help, either, that most of the trailer is about her only having flashes of memory, which is something that would make her a bit more subdued and serious.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

I am living for Carol in Binary mode. I mean, I know that's not exactly what she is in these shots but that's kind of what it looks like and I am here for it.

My history with Carol is long and complicated since the first I saw of her was when she returned to the X-Mansion and punched Rogue into orbit. And this was already after I had gotten to know Rogue a little bit in the early 90s. So, at first, I saw Carol as something of an antagonist before delving into Rogue's backstory and finding out what really went down there. Plus, the on-going battle in Rogue's mind between Carol having control and Rogue having control... meanwhile, Carol's body is roaming about as Binary with little connection to her own memories even after they had been restored. And let's not get into the situation after Rogue went through the Siege Perilous and yet another embodiment of Carol (the one that Rogue had absorbed into herself) who was somehow separated from Rogue into her own body and fought Rogue to the death because their wasn't enough life force between them to allow both to live. 

To say it was all kinds of fucked up and weird is an understatement. Chris Claremont loved his mind vs body tropes, let me tell you.

Carol went through a bunch of name changes and was she an Avenger? Was she something of a second tier character? She went of to space with the Starjammers and fought the Brood with the X-Men... back in the day it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to find stories that were about HER -- and I wasn't going to touch that fucking cesspool of a Markus story for love or money...

But when they brought her back as Captain Marvel and all of those and loved it. I dropped a lot of books when they started gearing up for Civil War 2 and Carol's was one of them. But getting the full story on the Rogue mess helped a lot. I really like the character a lot and I enjoyed this trailer quite a bit. I KNEW that old lady was a Skrull. And those shots of Carol zooming around through space and just destroying everything was absolutely DELIGHTFUL. And they could load this movie full of Easter Eggs. Not just Kamala Khan but give us some Monica Rambeau PLEASE! Hell, with Carol working with Alpha Flight in comics these days they could throw some Easter Eggs in there, too.

I'm into it.

My introduction to Carol too was through the X-Men, particularly the Brood Saga where she became Binary.  It's good that she got her memories and powers back although I still wish that Rogue had the Ms. Marvel (that's who she was back then) powers too.

Yes, Claremont was really big on those body-swapping type storylines.  But somehow he made them work.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Am I the only one that immediately thought of DragonballZ when they showed that shot of Captain Marvel glowing with her hair standing up?

My first thought was Heat Miser.

• Love 4

I need “With her, a hero” with Marvel’s symbol on all the things. Shirts, stickers, lunch boxes. Marvel would be a fool not to. I teared up seeing that slogan, even though slightly different, again.

I’m sure there are still twists, but man I feel like this trailer plus the last laid out the entire movie completely.  I want it to be so good-I want more Lady Avengers. I want Marvel to acknowledge they need more lady filled movies. There’s a lot riding on this film. And Wonder Woman set a high bar.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Dandesun said:

But when they brought her back as Captain Marvel and all of those and loved it. I dropped a lot of books when they started gearing up for Civil War 2 and Carol's was one of them. But getting the full story on the Rogue mess helped a lot. I really like the character a lot and I enjoyed this trailer quite a bit. I KNEW that old lady was

My first intro to Carol was in X-Men in the late 80s when Rogue was dealing with Carol's personality sharing her body but I really loved the character when she became a member in the late 90s during Kurt Busiek and George Perez' run when she was called "Warbird".

14193505_f520.jpg

• Love 1
On 4.12.2018 at 4:21 PM, AshleyN said:

I will say though, one thing Marvel has consistently nailed has been the casting of their heroes, but I'm not really feeling Larson yet. She's a talented actress, but from the trailers at least doesn't seem to display much in the way of movie-star charisma. I suppose it doesn't help that trailer-Carol doesn't seem to have much personality beyond "stoic badass". Hopefully she can change my mind when we see the whole movie, but I can't help but imagine someone like Charlize Theron in the role, who brought such a commanding presence even to a similarly stoic role in Mad Max, and wondering how different the feel of these trailers would be.

There are plenty of people, myself included, that aren't convinced in terms of Brie's casting. Like you said, one can be stoic or appear emotionless and still pop off the screen. Theron's Furiosa is a good example of that. The character didn't display actual emotions besides stoic or determined until much later in the movie yet she completely stole the show, in large part because Theron has that charisma. Heck even Emily Blunt's Rita from Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat was a stoic character (and kind of an ass even though there was a reason) and she still had great screen presence and you believed her as a bad ass soldier.

I think they made Brie's voice higher or at least it sounds higher to me. Which seems insane because she sounds like a teenager. Combined with her lack of screen presence so far, it's like watching a girl cos-playing a kick ass female character but lacking that something that made that character kick ass.

• Love 5
On 12/4/2018 at 9:03 PM, SnoGirl said:

I need “With her, a hero” with Marvel’s symbol on all the things. Shirts, stickers, lunch boxes. Marvel would be a fool not to. I teared up seeing that slogan, even though slightly different, again.

They don't have exactly that, but this children's book....

(Captain%20Marvel)%20What%20Makes%20A%20

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

One thing about the trailer that makes me chuckle (because I'm old) is when Annette Bening is giving her speech, it's basically a takeoff of "The Six Million Dollar Man" with the "better...longer...superior" line or whatever it was she says and the shot of Carol in surgery.

Subtle but pretty humorous IMO. 

• Love 3
On 12/5/2018 at 7:43 PM, Smad said:

I think they made Brie's voice higher or at least it sounds higher to me. Which seems insane because she sounds like a teenager. Combined with her lack of screen presence so far, it's like watching a girl cos-playing a kick ass female character but lacking that something that made that character kick ass.

Yea have watched the trailer a few times and a couple of her line readings, especially the "I am not here to fight your war..." sound kind of like Alicia Silverstone from clueless.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1

I'm choosing to believe that how they cut the trailer is to blame for the lack of presence, because what we're seeing is not tracking with how Larson has described the character:

"I mean, I think she has an ego, but in a healthy way. She doesn’t have an unrealistic expectation of herself, she just owns that she’s really good and really skilled. Which feels good to play. She also has an incredible sense of humor, makes fun of herself, makes fun of other people. Has no issue if someone makes fun of her.

So I will say that this character is probably the most dynamic character that I’ve ever played, there’s the most range. As of now, and we’ll see what the movie is, but as of now, it’s been the most range I’ve ever played in a character. From I’ve had to go through every emotion possible with her. And a lot of this movie, although it has great comedy in it, there’s also real depth to it and emotion. So I think that the film will have a lot. Which for me, that’s what I want. I wanna see complicated female characters. I wanna see myself, which is not a simple person. I surprise myself constantly by what’s happening and what’s coming up. So hopefully that’s what comes out on screen."

I've seen her in other things (most notably, Room) and she's been great, so I'm still optimistic here. Trailers can be weird and stilted sometimes.

• Love 7

And the line readings in a trailer can be different from the ones used in the movie.  We know Marvel won't hesitate to have visual changes for scenes from trailer to movie (eg, Thor had both eyes doing the lightning thing in the Ragnarok trailer vs only having one eye in the actual movie, and Hela destroyed the hammer in an alley in the trailer vs on a cliff in the movie) so there's no reason to think they won't use one line reading for a trailer and then have a different one for the final product. 

• Love 8

Oh yeah. IIRC the "genius, billionaire playboy, philanthropist" in the original Avengers trailer was a much more comedic reading than what ended up in the film. My concern is it wasn't one line that bothered me, it was all the trailer dialogue from Carol/Brie. Hopefully it was just a weird sound-mixing issue or something and the actual movie will be better.

• Love 2

The Clip looks Good but it shows that Brie Larson is the weakest Part in the Movie .

She might be a good Character Actor but she has no Charisma in a Action movie.

Look at her in Comparison to Jude Law or SAJ ,yeah her Action Pose looks Badaas but then she talks its terrible for a Action Movie.

You need to be larger than Live to own it and be confortable with it^^and thats not there.

I hope for the best.

I will watch the Movie ,but the Clips to Date dont make me to confident in her Performance.

Not every Actor can act in a Superhero Movie .

Look at Natalie Portman she is a great Actress but was uncomfortable with the Thor Movies.

• Love 2

Well, I thought the trailer was great. I think Brie Larson seems fine. I too enjoy the rapport between her and Fury.  I'm much more confident in her than I ever was Gal Gadot, who didn't seem to have that much acting experience, before her movie came out. Brie knows what she's doing.  

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Andrew Wiggin said:

I hope for the best.

I will watch the Movie ,but the Clips to Date dont make me to confident in her Performance.

Not every Actor can act in a Superhero Movie .

Look at Natalie Portman she is a great Actress but was uncomfortable with the Thor Movies.

Same, I'm going to see it in the theaters and i'm really looking forward to more Fury but, i'm not excited by this movie.  I hope it turns out to be a great movie or they release a final trailer that hooks me; that's what happened with Ant-Man, I thought it looked dumb and, then the final trailer hooked me and i loved it.  However, as of now, i'm not blown away

Edited by Morrigan2575
9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I think back at Robert Downey Jr. who was always a great actor, but  not somebody people pictured being a "superhero". Or Chris Evans going from teen movies and Johnny Storm to playing Captain America. Or quirky Mark Ruffalo. Or unknown Chris Hemsworth. Or Chris Pratt, best known for playing a chubby doofus on a sitcom. Or Benedict Cumberbatch with that face. Or pubescent Tom Holland as Spider-Man. All weren't typical action heroes but that ended up the reason they all worked to varying degrees. So I'm going to give Brie a chance.

I have faith in Marvel's casting team. They've had way more good picks than bad and I trust they know what they're doing.

• Love 15

Marvel 'Planting Seeds' for Secret Invasion in Captain Marvel

IGN visited the southern California set of Captain Marvel and spoke to producer Jason Schwartz with a small group of press. While Schwartz was a bit coy when IGN brought up Secret Invasion and the idea that the MCU might be playing host to a few Skrull impostors, he did acknowledge that Secret Invasion has been a part of their discussions.

“We talked about Secret Invasion,” Schwartz said. “I wouldn't go into this movie [Captain Marvel] saying 'Which one of these superheroes is a Skrull?’ because Carol's is more or less the first superhero to show up on Earth. But are we planting seeds for future movies? Always.”

Edited by Dee
3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

The billion dollar box office on that one might interfere with the lesson.

These big companies have no soul. They only care about profit. If they happen to create art, it's a pleasant side effect. But if the audience is fed shit over and over again, they'll stop going to the cinema. The best way to make money is create something people want.

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

These big companies have no soul. They only care about profit. If they happen to create art, it's a pleasant side effect. But if the audience is fed shit over and over again, they'll stop going to the cinema. The best way to make money is create something people want.

Civil War made a billion dollars, introduced a new character whose movie made a billion dollars and the direct "sequel" to CW was met with glowing reviews and 2 billion dollars.

Even outside of the box office, the majority of viewers enjoyed both movies I'd say. The appetite for the MCU has only increased since that movie.

• Love 16
19 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

Civil War made a billion dollars, introduced a new character whose movie made a billion dollars and the direct "sequel" to CW was met with glowing reviews and 2 billion dollars.

Even outside of the box office, the majority of viewers enjoyed both movies I'd say. The appetite for the MCU has only increased since that movie.

Not with me, it hasn't. And I'm the one who really matters, let's be honest. :) I am the supreme arbiter of quality, and I say the MCU is more miss than hit.

• Love 1

Well, I loved Civil War, flaws and all, and think its better than the comic story it was adapted from. So I cant say I am worried about about Captain Marvel, just because Secret Invasion was pretty lame. Maybe I am easy pickings for a soulless cooperation that will happily eat their shit, but its MY shit!

Alright, that metaphor got away from me a bit, and got pretty weird, but I stand by my opinion that the MCU has only gotten better over the years, and that have yet to make a truly terrible movie. They have made some meh movies, but they mostly range in quality from "that was kind of lame, but it had some moments" to "that was amazing my mind just exploded", so I think they have earned my trust, including with this movie. I mean, they arent perfect, and people can have their opinions, but its hard to deny that the MCU has made more franchise than any movies series in the history of American franchises, has an enormous and passionate fandom, and its lowest rated movie by critics, Thor the Dark World, still has a 66% percent on Rotten Tomatoes, with the majority of them sitting comfortably in the 80 or 90 percentile, I dont see them deciding to change what they're doing anytime soon.

• Love 20

The thing I like about the movie adaptation of Civil War is that it set up the big divide between Tony and Steve as registration like in the comics but in the end the reason for their rift was far more personal and emotional and was set up way back in their first respective movies.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 10