Type keyword(s) to search

Captain Marvel (2019)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I think its a good call to skip the origin story. I like a good origin story as much as the next dork, but there have been so many over the years, that even for a character not seen in movies yet like Captain Marvel, it might seem a bit derivative. What they're doing seems really cool, and seeing old characters should be fun, and another example of Marvel proving what it can do with its massive, shared universe!

NOW WHERE IS MY TRAILER?!?!

I hope it is. As someone who has never read the comics, I hope I understand the character (and story). As I know nothing about her at all. I think I am in the minority that loves origin stories and often the part when they find out they have powers is one of the best parts.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

But before long, Carol finds herself back on Earth with new questions about her past.

This line leads me to think that they still may bring up her origin, but as part of some mystery to be solved to affect the present.  Which could be a really clever way to handle it... still provide the information, but as part of a more current problem (i.e.  Skrull invasion) 

I know Nothing about Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers, or her origin. The only thing I know (and I’m not sure if it was the ‘toon’s take or if it actually happened) is that Mystique lied and tricked Rogue (before she became an X-Man) into taking Carol’s powers and putting her into a years long coma. This was in the ‘90s X-Men animated series that aired.

So I’m looking forward to seeing this.

13 hours ago, starri said:

My money's on New York Comic Con.

I'm really hoping they'll give us at least a 30 sec teaser soon, like in the next week or so.  Then a full trailer at NYCC that they then release to the general public a few days later.  I found it really frustrating when they showed that IW trailer at SDCC and then nothing for the general public for sooooo long.  And I was even able to see the leaked version a few times, so it wasn't about not seeing the content, but it made it really difficult to talk to other fans and get excited about it.  Not that it hurt the film or anything, but just from a general 'fandom' experience.   

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I know Nothing about Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers, or her origin. The only thing I know (and I’m not sure if it was the ‘toon’s take or if it actually happened) is that Mystique lied and tricked Rogue (before she became an X-Man) into taking Carol’s powers and putting her into a years long coma. This was in the ‘90s X-Men animated series that aired.

So I’m looking forward to seeing this.

In the comics Rogue was more at a villain at first but she was also just an impressionable teenager under Mystique's influence. She also absorbed Carol's psyche which messed both of them up. Carol lost her memories which she regained with Charles Xavier's help but she no longer had any emotional connection to them. Rogue's mind was fractured due to Carol's personality sharing space and she went to Xavier for help. Xavier took her in and Carol(who had obtained new star-based powers and became Binary) was understandably pissed and left for outer space. Rogue became an X-Man but her new teammates didn't trust her. It wasn't until Rogue took a laser blast meant for Mariko Yashida, Wolverine fiance(at the time) and then used her powers to save Colossus that she proved herself.

Off-topic but this year Kitty Pryde and Colossus were finally going to get married this year but Kitty got cold feet at the altar so they decided not to so instead...

tumblr_pamrabDCZ61ru09bvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pamrabDCZ61ru09bvo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pamrabDCZ61ru09bvo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_pamrabDCZ61ru09bvo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_pamrabDCZ61ru09bvo5_1280.jpg

If your wondering how Rogue is able to kiss Gambit is because she's wearing a power dampener around her neck!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4

I haven't read X-Men comics in years, but I was always a huge Gambit/Rogue shipper as a kid, so those panels made my day! What a nice surprise. 

22 hours ago, Dee said:

How long before fandom turns on her?

I certainly hope they won't, but newbies might well complain that she's a Mary Sue given her power levels ("Mary Sue" seems to be the usual refrain; see Rey from Star Wars). Hopefully Carol's precedence in comics will protect her, as it did with Wonder Woman. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I miss when they used to make Rogue and Remy's dialogue real southern. All of her I's became Ah's and Remy was like some sort of Cajun parody. It was great!

It not you. It Gambit.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

@VCRTracking are Rogue's bridal attendants Bobby and Kurt? Kurt makes sense because he's her brother.

I think they dated in the comics(not just in the movies) before the comics Iceman recently realized he's gay.

They're apparently changing her origin so that she's part Kree, part human as opposed to gaining her powers by accident with the Kree Captain Mar-Vell and becoming a Kree-Human hybrid in the comics:

Slashfilm quoting Brie Larson on EW:

“You have this Kree part of her that’s unemotional, that is an amazing fighter and competitive. Then there’s this human part of her that is flawed but is also the thing that she ends up leading by. It’s the thing that gets her in trouble, but it’s also the thing that makes her great. And those two sides warring against each other is what makes her her.”

But it’s the part-Kree, part-human detail that sticks out here. In the comics, Carol Danvers gains her powers when her DNA accidentally fuses with a Kree hero known as Mar-Vell, aka the first Captain Marvel. So in a sense, she’s always been part-alien, but it seems like Captain Marvel will be leaning heavily into this dichotomy. The emotional, impulsive side of humans would always be difficult to reconcile with the nature of a logical alien race, but Carol Danvers has even poorer impulse control. Which is what makes her such a fascinating superhero.

CAPTAIN MARVEL Character Details Revealed Alongside A Fresh Look At Skrull Leader Talos And More

Last week, we were treated to a huge number of new Captain Marvel details and stills but one final batch has now been revealed in the form of some scanned character images and bios as well as quotes from the movie's cast. Pretty much every supporting character is covered here, included Minn-Erva, Talos, Korath, and Nick Fury, with plenty of new details about what we should expect from the movie. 

Rumour has it that the first trailer for Captain Marvel will be with us either this week or next but these are definitely good enough to keep us going in the meantime and we'll hopefully learn a lot more when that debuts online.

Edited by Dee

I generally like this trailer and think Brie Larson looks very heroic in the suit, but it feels like there's zero conviction behind any of her line deliveries. Hopefully that will be better in the final film, 'cause I really want this movie to be good.

• Love 10

Well if they are going with her being kidnapped and experimented on by the Kree, she was probably trained to hide her emotions, not to mention going through the trauma of remembering her life before.

That interests me. I like that it's not a flashy trailer, the last few Marvel movies were more comedy. This one seems more like CA: Winter Solider. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5

I think because all of the other recent trailers we have had a pretty good idea of what had happened and what was going to happen that the vagueness was understandable because we could fill in the gaps. This trailer feels weirdly unsatisfactory because I don't know Carol. I only know Nick and Phil. So they were smart to lean into the Nick connection. But it seems to be posing the questions that will hopefully be answered in the film. But it's questions we, the audience, already had, so it almost feels...frustrating. It's so vague, there's no sense of dread or excitement. Just... some foreboding music and not much else.

I will be there in March. I don't need an exciting trailer to get me in the theater. But it is kind of....bland. All the other trailers--for Ant-Man or Guardians were at least quirky and cute. This doesn't want to give anything away and in doing so is not really enticing. But, I will be there and am looking forward to it. 

And now I will go watch it again about 10 times and change my mind.

• Love 6

I really liked it and I'm  looking forward to getting to know Carol just like we got to  know Tony, Steve, Thor and co in their origin movies. As always I have faith in Marvel and am pretty ready to hand over all my monies. Can't wait.

• Love 6

I’ll go see this movie in the theater. I’m interested in Captain Marvel’s story. However the trailer? Meh. If I were disconnected from the  Marvel universe and simply seeking a movie to go see I don’t think this would draw me to it. Still, it’s early and it’s Marvel. I’ll be there. 

• Love 4

I think because all of the other recent trailers we have had a pretty good idea of what had happened and what was going to happen that the vagueness was understandable because we could fill in the gaps. This trailer feels weirdly unsatisfactory because I don't know Carol. I only know Nick and Phil. So they were smart to lean into the Nick connection. But it seems to be posing the questions that will hopefully be answered in the film. But it's questions we, the audience, already had, so it almost feels...frustrating.

I liked the trailer more than you, but I wonder if it's kind of highlighting that the whole hook/mystery of the movie runs the risk of falling flat because in many ways the audience already knows the answer. Is Carol "from here" (Earth)? Yes, obviously. Now, equally obviously there will be more to her remembering her past than just being like "oh yeah, I'm an Earthling, guess I am from here"--but the trailer kind of makes you wonder if we're going to sit through 2 hours of Carol finding the answer to the question the audience has figured out within the first minute.

• Love 4

I'm intrigued.  I agree with what some other posters said how it didn't quite grab me either.  I wonder if they rushed to get this trailer out due to fan demand.  We have a little over five months before the movie comes out and the first trailer is usually some of the cool visual to get your attention, so I'm looking forward to more awesome ones to come.    But I agree leaning on the hook of "Is Carol from here" might be a mistake since anyone who followed the publicity knows that she is.

All that said, I can't wait to see the movie, and it was awesome to see Coulson again.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I generally like this trailer and think Brie Larson looks very heroic in the suit, but it feels like there's zero conviction behind any of her line deliveries. Hopefully that will be better in the final film, 'cause I really want this movie to be good.

I'm still not convinced when it comes to Brie. In the EW set/promo photos she had a blank stare in every single picture. The same was true in this trailer. Blank stare in all scenes. The only time she didn't have a blank stare was that shot with Nick in the car where she smiled.

I'm underwhelmed by the trailer and I can't really say why. It feels like Marvel wanted to play it too safe and too epic at the same time, almost because it's their first female lead movie but it ended being 'meh' as a result. Why go with the epic and generic superhero music. It works for something like IW. Why not give the CM trailer more character and make the music specific to the era it will be playing in? Like I don't know, some 90's rock song or something. 90's rock+scenes in space? Era music works for the Guardian's after all, it's their freaking identity. Make it 'Nine Inch Nails' maybe since she wears the shirt.

Having her punch an old lady after the 'what makes her a hero' bit was the oddest beat to me. Is that really how you want to promote this movie to the general audience? Comic fans and people who have read up about this movie probably know she's going to be a Skrull. But the general audience sees the trailer for the first female lead Marvel movie and the hero beats up an old lady. Why do that Marvel?

Edited by Smad
  • Love 3

The trailer is very good. I like Brie Larson's portrayal of Captain Marvel and that the character has this mysterious past on earth. I didn't realize that Samuel L Jackson was in the whole movie.

2 hours ago, festivus said:

I like how we saw Blockbuster right away. That's how you know you're in the 90's. ;)

Ha. So true. Amazing how video stores have now disappeared.

• Love 7

Well if they are going with her being kidnapped and experimented on by the Kree, she was probably trained to hide her emotions, not to mention going through the trauma of remembering her life before.

The EW article on Captain Marvel indicated there is a more unemotional/detached Kree side to the character and I suspect that will be emphasized more in the early part of the film.

The trailer was interesting but I do get the vibe it was hastily put together. This finished filming not that long ago. I think we will get a much better idea of what the film will be like from the next trailer.

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, festivus said:

I like how we saw Blockbuster right away. That's how you know you're in the 90's. ;)

I literally went "niiiice." when I saw it!

Reading the EW interview where it seems like Carol will be this brash, impulsive character I think they were deliberately trying not to show that in the trailer. Like that would put people who don't know the character off. Tony Stark, Peter Quill, Stephen Strange can get away with being cocky asshole but a woman would get a "Who the hell is this bitch?" reaction The marketing seems to show her more vulnerable and playing up the "little girl lost" angle to gain sympathy from general audiences.

I also like how they found a way to have Carol lose her memories without using Rogue from the X-Men.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I literally went "niiiice." when I saw it!

Reading the EW interview where it seems like Carol will be this brash, impulsive character I think they were deliberately trying not to show that in the trailer. Like that would put people who don't know the character off. The old saying of a man who's assertive and self-confident is "strong" but a woman who's like that is a "bitch". The marketing seems to show her more vulnerable and playing up the "little girl lost" angle to gain sympathy from general audiences.

I also like how they found a way to have Carol lose her memories without using Rogue from the X-Men.

Yeah but the interview made it sound as if she was this proactive character that jumps into action which is what you want your female lead to be. In the trailer everything was happening TO Carol which makes her seem completely reactionary, often with just a blank stare. Why not show her being proactive? I saw Fury being proactive a lot while Carol was passively waiting for things to happen to her.

I liked it and I'm excited to see it, but really, I was going to see this one no matter what the trailer looked like. 

I do feel a little let down by the trailer. I think after the music being so integral to Ragnarok and Black Panther's trailers, I was excited to see what 90s music would be in this one. Generic action movie music didn't really pump me up the way Nirvana or Nine Inch Nails or whatever would have.

I'm definitely intrigued by the story. I don't know anything about the memory loss so I think that could be very interesting. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

I'm definitely intrigued by the story. I don't know anything about the memory loss so I think that could be very interesting. 

It's a huge part of her character in the comics so they kept it but they tweak it for the movie (X-Men's Rogue for example took her memories when she stole Carol's powers in both comics and animation). It seems like it's a 'we are on a journey with Carol while she discovers herself' kind of origin movie.

• Love 2
Just now, Smad said:

It's a huge part of her character in the comics so they kept it but they tweak it for the movie (X-Men's Rogue for example took her memories when she stole Carol's powers in both comics and animation). It seems like it's a 'we are on a journey with Carol while she discovers herself' kind of origin movie.

I think the only origin of Captain Marvel I've seen was on the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon, and that was a while ago. I forgot her connection to Rogue completely! 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Smad said:

Yeah but the interview made it sound as if she was this proactive character that jumps into action which is what you want your female lead to be. In the trailer everything was happening TO Carol which makes her seem completely reactionary, often with just a blank stare. Why not show her being proactive? I saw Fury being proactive a lot while Carol was passively waiting for things to happen to her.

He was shown driving her somewhere, knocking on glass and walking down a hallway. Carol was jumping on top of trains, leading a squad, flying planes, climbing ropes and punching an old lady!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Smad said:

Having her punch an old lady after the 'what makes her a hero' bit was the oddest beat to me. Is that really how you want to promote this movie to the general audience? Comic fans and people who have read up about this movie probably know she's going to be a Skrull. But the general audience sees the trailer for the first female lead Marvel movie and the hero beats up an old lady. Why do that Marvel?

Finally, a hero to truly represent us Millennials!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

I think the only origin of Captain Marvel I've seen was on the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon, and that was a while ago. I forgot her connection to Rogue completely! 

It's certainly better than her original story as Ms Marvel where she was raped by her son from the future and the Avengers let it happen which is why she quit the team and left Earth. Marvel definitely won't be doing that part of her backstory. I hope.