Type keyword(s) to search

Captain Marvel (2019)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

I loved CM and Carol. I can't wait to see her with the remaining Avengers. I bought it on streaming and watched twice more since and still love it. It's not a movie for everyone but it's a great movie for some. 

I also liked it more than Wonder Woman because it stuck the landing in the end. That's where WW faltered. 

• Love 6

I finally watched it this weekend, as I said a few posts ago.  

I don’t know. I was sincerely hoping I would like it more than I did, considering the discourse around it. But it was just....fine? *shrug*  I just didn’t come out of it feeling emotionally impacted one way or the other.   There were several scenes where I felt like I should be feeling something (such as when she breaks free from the Supreme Intelligence’s control, or the ending where she tears up the Kree ships), but somehow it just never quite made it.  I guess somehow I just never connected with Carol enough to really get it. I like her fine - I just somehow didn’t emotionally connect with her enough for the movie to really impact me, I guess.

I did like her scenes with Fury the best - they were a good team.  Brie does the wry dry humor thing very well.  And of course I loved Goose.  😸

As far as comparisons to Wonder Woman, I don’t know.  That movie was just...kind of magical for me. I don’t know whether it was because it was one of the rare movies I actually saw in the theater, or whether it’s just Gal Gadot, or whether it was even just the score (no, seriously, I love the Wonder Woman soundtrack).  But that was, for me, an experience, whereas this was just a regular middle-of-the-road MCU movie.  No complaints, but probably not one I’ll be rushing to rewatch any time soon. 

• Love 6

Well, my experience with Wonder Woman wasn't all that great. I hated that they put in a chosen one plot and made Diana special even under the Amazons. I liked her origin in the TV series better. And then the third act….

Captain Marvel on the other hand gave me what I like the most: An unpredictable narrative with interesting characters and a strong overreaching theme. If it had been technically top notch, too, it would be one of my favourite MCU movie.

But that's what is so great. We no longer have just one female lead which has to meet the expectations of everyone. We can have one female lead for everyone's taste.

• Love 7

Hopefully that trend will continue and we'll get a wide variety of interesting treatments for super-heroism through a female lens. Certainly Valkyrie and the Wasp strike me as good candidates to be featured in their own movies once the Black Widow movie comes out, and Captain Marvel laid groundwork for a present-day Monica Rambeau story.

I mourn the lost potential of Marvel not doing more with Lady Sif while Jamie Alexander was still primarily in their employ. Her guest appearances on Agents of SHIELD were highlights of that series, but I really think she could have provided the foundation for a good spinoff solo movie.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:57 PM, Sakura12 said:

I loved CM and Carol. I can't wait to see her with the remaining Avengers. I bought it on streaming and watched twice more since and still love it. It's not a movie for everyone but it's a great movie for some. 

I also liked it more than Wonder Woman because it stuck the landing in the end. That's where WW faltered. 

I was starting to think WW would have a great, almost nihilistic ending, where Diana learned that humans inflict all that evil on each other without any interference whatsoever from gods and monsters. But then... David Thewlis started chewing the scenery and I felt so deflated. Even though they gave him a line about him just giving mankind a push in the 'right' direction, it felt like a copout.

With Captain Marvel, I felt the opposite. The climax of the movie was the best part, and the scene where she reveals the extent of her powers and destroys the Kree ships was the epitome of superhero action.

• Love 7

The scenes in which she breaks free from the supreme intelligence and the one in which she faces Yon-Rogg are easily the best of the movie. It was just too bad that the trailers spoiled the "stand up" moment. But it was still great to see her finally realizing that she had been limiting herself, rejecting all the Kree ideology.

Though seeing her hover in front of Ronan and him running away scared was great, too.

• Love 6
On 6/17/2019 at 9:03 AM, Bruinsfan said:

Hopefully that trend will continue and we'll get a wide variety of interesting treatments for super-heroism through a female lens. Certainly Valkyrie and the Wasp strike me as good candidates to be featured in their own movies once the Black Widow movie comes out, and Captain Marvel laid groundwork for a present-day Monica Rambeau story.

I mourn the lost potential of Marvel not doing more with Lady Sif while Jamie Alexander was still primarily in their employ. Her guest appearances on Agents of SHIELD were highlights of that series, but I really think she could have provided the foundation for a good spinoff solo movie.

I heard that Sif might get a Disney Plus show with Enchantress as the main villain and I hope so. I LOVE Sif and Echantress and think the show will be great or movie. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

I heard that Sif might get a Disney Plus show with Enchantress as the main villain and I hope so. I LOVE Sif and Echantress and think the show will be great or movie. 

1 hour ago, swanpride said:

Enchantress or Lorelei?

Lorelei has been used on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to use the same actress there would be as big an "its all connection" as using Jarvis from Agent Carter in Avengers: Endgame

10 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

Oh I love Sif. I hope this is true, I'd totally watch

I do hope with the second movie that they flush Carol out more and there is more action. She is also OP so I want the next villain to challenge her mentally and physically. 

20 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

If they do give her her own show, I hope that they use it to develop more Asgardian characters, without the weight of Thor and Loki on top of them.

Balder is one that I've wanted to see on the screen ever since the first Thor movie, and Kelda. In fact, now New Asgard is on Earth, they could adapt the story of Kelda and Bill, which was a really nice little romance in the comics, between a goddess and a very unassuming human man who caught her interest just because he was a good dude.

1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

If they do give her her own show, I hope that they use it to develop more Asgardian characters, without the weight of Thor and Loki on top of them.

Balder is one that I've wanted to see on the screen ever since the first Thor movie, and Kelda. In fact, now New Asgard is on Earth, they could adapt the story of Kelda and Bill, which was a really nice little romance in the comics, between a goddess and a very unassuming human man who caught her interest just because he was a good dude.

Yeah, Balder and Beta Ray need to be in this new show that needs to happen, although i probably won't be so lucky as to get it 

Carol vs. Minn-Erva won Best Fight at the MTV awards. She brought her stunt doubles up on stage and let them give their own speeches. Going to Comic-Con? You can get the exclusive Lego Captain Marvel set, with a fully Flerken Goose and a Monica Rambeau.

Sif can stay gone, even if she's technically still alive. She brought nothing to the storyline and was mostly just there to say "Look, we have a Warrior Woman".

• Love 5

Yeah, the Anti-SJW have been howling about it for two days now. I don't think that anyone takes the MTV awards all that seriously, but Brie taking her stunt woman on stage and just giving them the microphone and let THEM hold the speech instead of simply thanking them was awesome.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, swanpride said:

Cinemawins is better if you ask me. Not because his movies are positive, but because he has actually something to say about the movies in question.

Me too. Here’s Captain Marvel Part 1.

40 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

That’s what I had thought, but from what I now understand, she would be the new Agent 007. Bond would still be Bond. I expect the butthurt backlash to be the same, though. What other films has Lynch starred in?

These days we have much more information about stars past. But thinking back on all the replacement Bond's I can only remember Roger Moore and Pierce Bronson before their turn due to the TV series they had. So she certainly has more resume than say George Lazenby and his Bond movie seems to be moving up the rankings

16 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Rumors have it Lashana Lynch will be taking over as the next 007 to carry the franchise forward.

I haven’t seen a Bond movie in ages, but if this is true, I might actually go to a theater to see this!

I bought Captain Marvel and I still tear up watching it. The scene when Carol confronts and fights the Supreme Intelligence is one of my favorite Marvel Moments still. I’d love a high res pic of that scene. 

• Love 2

Right, she's not going to be Jamie Bond, She'll be another agent who will get the 007 designation. Bond will probably be retired. And we've already seen the backlash from the Idris Elba rumors about a person of color (or colour) taking over.

Or not, because no one has officially confirmed it yet.

• Love 1

So I'm watching Captain Marvel on blu-ray, and it strikes me that Brie Larson is nowhere near as flat as people were complaining. Even when shes's the brainwashed Vers, she's got a wry sense of humour, but it's just very restrained. She cracks little jokes throughout the movie, and you can see her opening up and getting looser, the longer she's on Earth and around humans. But she never quite reverts to the carefree woman we saw in the flashbacks.

It's actually quite a subtle performance, but I guess a lot of people were too upset she didn't smile enough to see it.

Also, Talos being challenged to turn into a filing cabinet, a cat ("what's a cat?") and a Venus Flytrap is such a fun little scene. He has this long-suffering, weary air about him, as though he's thinking, 'this always happens when we spend time around other races.'

• Love 24
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

So I'm watching Captain Marvel on blu-ray, and it strikes me that Brie Larson is nowhere near as flat as people were complaining. Even when shes's the brainwashed Vers, she's got a wry sense of humour, but it's just very restrained. She cracks little jokes throughout the movie, and you can see her opening up and getting looser, the longer she's on Earth and around humans. But she never quite reverts to the carefree woman we saw in the flashbacks.

It's actually quite a subtle performance, but I guess a lot of people were too upset she didn't smile enough to see it.

I agree. I really like that they let her play the internal conflict very subtly. I think it created a more layered movie that really works with repeat viewing. 

I still maintain that the main issue the movie has is the editing. Since it cuts away from calmer scenes pretty fast, there is little time to even notice Brie's very nuanced performance. Especially upon first viewing, when you are still busy taking as much information as possible in.

• Love 1

Watched the movie on a flight.

Guess they plan to feature the character more in the future.  Not sure why they need to have Captain Marvel do any physical combat, just blast the enemies away.

Same could be said of Iron Man but I guess fight scenes are popular.

Maybe because I’m a guy but the girl power and empowerment thing, especially with music from every alternative female artists featured, seemed a little heavy handed.  Yeah I get it, Captain Marvel is the way she is because of the way Carol was, growing up aspiring to do things that a male-dominated culture tried to stop her from doing.

She’s an inspiration to little girls, just as Wonder Woman is suppose to be.  Seems like Marvel also wanted a piece of the inspiring and empowering girls market as well.

But the reality is, the top gun fighter pilot training is a notoriously sexist culture.  Some women fighter pilots have made it out but in the 90s, Carol and her friend would likely have been subject to hazing and harassment by mostly white male fighter trainees.

I haven’t seen her other movies.  Brie isn’t as physically imposing or appears to be as athletic as Gal  Godot.  But then again, Downey doesn’t fit the big, imposing action hero type either.

(edited)
1 hour ago, scrb said:

Yeah I get it, Captain Marvel is the way she is because of the way Carol was, growing up aspiring to do things that a male-dominated culture tried to stop her from doing.

She’s an inspiration to little girls, just as Wonder Woman is suppose to be.  Seems like Marvel also wanted a piece of the inspiring and empowering girls market as well.

But the reality is, the top gun fighter pilot training is a notoriously sexist culture.  Some women fighter pilots have made it out but in the 90s, Carol and her friend would likely have been subject to hazing and harassment by mostly white male fighter trainees.

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. Wouldn’t how difficult it is in reality support Carol’s backstory? Or are you saying that Carol and Maria being fighter pilots is unrealistic?

1 hour ago, scrb said:

I haven’t seen her other movies.  Brie isn’t as physically imposing or appears to be as athletic as Gal  Godot.  But then again, Downey doesn’t fit the big, imposing action hero type either.

I guess you haven’t seen that video of Brie pushing a Jeep. 

Edited by Guest
6 hours ago, scrb said:

Maybe because I’m a guy but the girl power and empowerment thing, especially with music from every alternative female artists featured, seemed a little heavy handed.  Yeah I get it, Captain Marvel is the way she is because of the way Carol was, growing up aspiring to do things that a male-dominated culture tried to stop her from doing.

I didn't find it heavy-handed, but more just that the 90s had a lot of prominent women in the indie music scene - Gwen Stefani, Courtney Love, Shirley Manson, Alanis Morissette, Sheryl Crowe, Justine Frischmann, Dolores O'Riordan, Fiona Apple, PJ Harvey, Bjork, Tori Amos - and while not all of them had songs in the movie, the songs that were chosen were very evocative of that time period.

So if you want 90s music in a movie about a female superhero, why not use 90s women?

• Love 11

I had to laugh at the battle of "wits" between the so-called Supreme Intelligence and Carol.

The Supreme Intelligence shows Carol a montage of "failures" in her life, with the putative purpose of demoralizing her -- but each of these failures is a scene of Carol initially failing, then finding the strength to rise up to try again. The memory montage seems paradoxically designed to motivate Carol to continue to fight, not weaken her resolve.

Did Carol not have any real failures in her life? And how dumb is the Supreme Intelligence?

Carol doesn't have her memories, and the little memories she has was thoroughly manipulated and twisted by the supreme intelligence. There was no reason to think that the very same scenes the supreme intelligence has successfully used for years to keep her self-esteem low would suddenly not work anymore. And yes, Carol has obviously a lot of incidents of failures in her life - but it is in her nature to stand up again. She does it in the movie too, again and again and again.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, scrb said:

Yeah they would-I thought the movie got that idea across really well. The harassment was plain as day. Or are you insinuating that Carol & Maria wouldn’t have made it?

10 hours ago, Dani said:

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. Wouldn’t how difficult it is in reality support Carol’s backstory? Or are you saying that Carol and Maria being fighter pilots is unrealistic?

Basically what you said. 

• Love 3
On 7/17/2019 at 10:36 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

Can we talk about the post-credits stinger on Far From Home that ties directly into Captain Marvel, or does it have to be spoiled?

Since Spider-Man is still in theaters, you can put it in spoiler tags or discuss it openly in the Marvel Cinematic Universe thread.

Spoiler

So at the very end of Far from Home the Nick Fury and Maria Hill that have been giving Peter orders are revealed to be Talos and Soren. The real Fury is on some kind of space station with a bunch of Skrulls, taking a vacation. Looks like some time after Tony's funeral Fury and Carol talk and she takes him to space. Speculation is that Marvel is setting up SWORD, which is kind of an interstellar SHIELD.

Still no mention of Goose :(.

On 7/18/2019 at 2:46 AM, Dani said:

But wasn't the point that they weren't fighter pilots? Carol or Maria even said that military policy at the time meant they couldn't fly fighter missions, so even with their skill the best jobs they could get were being test pilots for Mar-vell.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:
  Hide contents

So at the very end of Far from Home the Nick Fury and Maria Hill that have been giving Peter orders are revealed to be Talos and Soren. The real Fury is on some kind of space station with a bunch of Skrulls, taking a vacation. Looks like some time after Tony's funeral Fury and Carol talk and she takes him to space. Speculation is that Marvel is setting up SWORD, which is kind of an interstellar SHIELD.

Still no mention of Goose :(.

The cool thing about that is, I imagine...

Spoiler

that Natasha had a hand in setting it all up. She was the one who spent five years coordinating relief and assistance efforts, on Earth and in space. With Carol's contacts around the galaxy, as well as Rocket and Nebula, they'll have been able to get a big head start on building SWORD. Whatever they started with Nat, Fury will have been able to build on, especially with Carol vouching for him.

So even after sacrificing herself to help stop Thanos, Natasha is still helping save the world.

• Love 6

It was announced at Comic Con that Monica Rambeau will be in the Disney+ series WandaVision coming in Spring 2021.