Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E17: The Widowmaker (1)

• Start Topic

Intense weather and more damage to his already battered boat take a toll on Sig's heart. The USCG attempts a dangerous medevac. Bill struggles with a water leak on his boat and Jake recruits an old friend.

(edited)

Missed you all these past two weeks! We were camping and then we missed last week's episode and we thought we could just catch up online, but nope. Apparently, they don't have the full episodes on their site anymore. Lame.

The NW:
-30 knot winds? Ick! Creepy background music to accompany it. That's one thing I still enjoy about the show: the score/background music (excluding some of the ridiculous "cool" songs they use in certain montages). Glad that Sig decided to avoid the weather. 
-Norm spoke one line! I'm always up for more Norm sitings.
-And then the anchor cable snapped? Poor NW has had it rough. Glad that they could retrieve it.
-going into the harbor: you can see how crazy-stressed Sig got. With all this crazy stuff happening you can see why he had a heart attack. Good job getting into harbor, Sig!
-I can't believe Sig burned half of his log book. Like, doesn't that help you determine where and where not to fish on future occasions? 

-I didn't expect Sig to have his heart attack after they're done fishing and heading to Seattle. Typical Sig. In denial about having a heart attack. Too stubborn. Despite the situation, I got a chuckle out of his, "we're having an interview, I'm not dying." So stubborn. You kind of are, mate.  Yes Sig, there is something most definitely wrong.

Wizard:
-Monty's piloting so obviously I missed when he and Keith switched. 

Saga:
-dirty crab. Yikes. And Jake's growing a beard! And those crazy numbers! Wow! Tommy should have told Jake sooner that he had to leave early. Oh gosh, Jake's trying so hard to not blow up. He's just so done with everything at this point...aaannndd he blew up right at the end when Tommy wasn't doing his job. Knew it wouldn't last. 
-Stop hiring your friends!

CC: 
-contaminated water! Literally every time Bill mentions things are going decently well or at least holes they do...they don't :P 
-I don't know why Zack even tries to speak at this point. Nothing's ever good enough. He suggests something and Bill knocks him down for suggesting doing a half-job. Even if it was a half-job, at least he tried to suggest something for once? Instead he's stuck just watching. I wish Zack would just quit. Say screw you and leave to go do something he might actually like doing.
-"Nicky" (since when does Bill call him that?? Did I miss something in the 2 weeks I missed? ) Nick is definitely the favorite. 

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

As HoodlumSleep stated:  Norm spoke and ...said a whole sentence.  It was just him and Sig in the wheelhouse.  I don't remember that ever happening before.

Tonight's The Bait was the best this season.  There was a lot of fun and entertaining interactions.  Always enjoy the Fourtner Report.  I also enjoyed having the next generation having a segment and discussing why they're different from their fathers, etc.  Well, except for Jake.  I see a heart attack in 'his' future.  I could even tolerate Josh.  Sean and Casey are still my favorites.  

Even the episode, despite being two hours, moved along and was pretty interesting.  I always find the Coast Guard rescues so fascinating and amazing.  I hate to anyone having to be rescued but seeing them in action is riveting.

Why wasn't any of the crew in the wheelhouse when Sig decided to go into St.  Paul's?  We've seen dangerous entries before in bad weather and the captain had someone with them.  The CM and the TB?  And maybe the Northwestern needs better maintenance of their anchor lines.  This isn't the first time they lost it and then had to recover it.

I didn't fully understand Jake and the Irish guy and why suddenly had to go home.  Why did you sign up?  And Jake has to make a trip to Dutch to drop this guy off?  WTH?  

• Love 3

There had to be one guy.  One.  In St. Paul who could have crewed for Jake for that last trip out.  Drop Tommie at St. Paul and let him make his own way home, at his expense.

We did not need the screeching strings for the last few seconds of the show depicting Sig's distress.  We really didn't.

• Love 2

I was surprised that no one else was in the wheelhouse with Sig too when he went into the harbor. It might of helped relieve some of the stress of the situation if he had another person to help scout out the waves? I don't know. Maybe he doesn't trust anyone enough to do that.

It's been almost 12 hours since the episode aired and I still can't get over how stubborn Sig was being at the end. By golly, he was going to do that interview segment even if he was getting chest pain and arm "cramps." He wasn't dying! 

The Jake/Tommy stuff was a bit confusing for me too because I was thinking that they were done for the season, but that doesn't make sense because then Jake wouldn't mention having to go out of his way. If he was done fishing he would have been heading back to Dutch anyways. And yeah, I would have dumped Tommy at St. Paul and told him to find and hitch a ride on a boat that might be heading to Dutch Harbor.

• Love 3

I got a chuckle over Sig needing Norm to do "his computer thing" to get the updated weather forecast.  

Those scenes of his heart attack should be turned into a Public Service Announcement.  Let the world see what a real attack looks like.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, pally said:

Those scenes of his heart attack should be turned into a Public Service Announcement.  Let the world see what a real attack looks like.

Many years ago, I took a CPR class at work.  One of the first things they told us was that one of the hardest things to deal with in a heart attack situation is denial on the part of the patient.

Cut to last October.  My husband woke me up about an hour after we went to bed.  He was having "another attack of acid reflux."  He drank some water (which had helped in the past), and took some acid reflux medicine.  It didn't get better.  I asked him where it hurt, but this time I got specific.  "Does your jaw hurt?"  "Yes, and so does my left arm."

HOLY COW!  This could be a heart attack.

Even suspecting that's what it was, we took the time for me to get dressed and dress him, with the idea that I would drive him a mile to the ER.  After I dressed him, he stood up, looked at me, and said, "I don't think I can walk to the car."  FINALLY, we called 911.  Thank goodness that they responded quickly and took him to the hospital in an ambulance.  Less than 2 hours later, he was the recipient of 2 stents, and is doing great now.

Bottom line:  If someone is exhibiting heart attack symptoms, GET HELP NOW.  If you're a cameraman interviewing a boat captain, GET SOMEONE ELSE INTO THE WHEELHOUSE to take over the boat.  Get to the nearest port.  NOW.  Don't give the patient a vote.

Last night was hard for us to watch.  So glad that Sig made it through.

• Love 9
(edited)

Often there are other crew members in the wheelhouse in the opposite chair -- even if the producer/camera guy was sitting there, there's another seat behind there that isn't necessarily visible if the camera's on Sig.  If I were up there and he looked like that, I'd keep my mouth shut and stay out of the way!

I too wondered why Jake had to go back to Dutch. Made no sense - St. Paul has an airport, and presumably other boats coming and going that could shuttle him back.  Yeah, friendship, but if he's leaving YOU hanging because he's got a $40k payday lined up, no need for you to drop, what, 8K on making it easy for him?   

I also wondered if Bill could have just "borrowed" water from other boats, or asked somebody currently in port somewhere to pick up x amount of water for him.  Sure, it would be a pain in the ass, but I can't imagine not trying to crowdsource that stuff rather than spend thousands on the extra trip.  How much fresh water did they have vs what would be needed to get through that trip?  

2 hours ago, pally said:

The crazy thing is, it was a completely stereotypical heart attack as acted out countless times.  Sig just couldn't see it;.  Or wouldn't.  I don't really blame the producers since it probably unfolded within a few minutes.  I'm sure if Sig didn't make the call shortly after what we saw, I'd expect the guy to call down to Edgar and Norm.  Or, if he's super afraid of Sig, make a discreet call to the show runner explaining his situation so that they could blow the whistle.  

12 hours ago, breezy424 said:

I didn't fully understand Jake and the Irish guy and why suddenly had to go home.  Why did you sign up? 

I understood that part -- he fishes Dungeness crab.  Their season starts after some other kind of fishery ends.  It appears that the first fishery closed early, and the Dungie crab season was moved up.  Or something like that.  So when he agreed to come work for Jake, he thought he could fit it in because Dungies weren't slated to start for a month.  And then it got moved on him.  Now, how unusual this situation is where they just start a season early because another one closes early, I don't know.  Jake seemed to know the guy fished Dungies.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 2

I always find the Coast Guard rescues so fascinating and amazing. 

I LOVE watching Coast Guard: Alaska on the Weather Channel. Amazing men and women who risk everything to do their job. Not sure where they are at in their season (I am in the middle of a move) but you may be able to see it On Demand or reruns.

I wonder if Jake's sudden acknowledgment of his tantrums and bad behavior on The Bait is because of Sig's heart attack. Saw his future if he continued wrapped around the axle on every trip.

39 minutes ago, Lamima said:

Why didn't the film crew insist on getting a medic right away for Sig?

I bet that is the opening moments of the next episode. Even though they dragged it out over five minutes for us in the episode, it appeared to really just be a few minutes in real time. Having been in the same situation myself, it DOES take a minute or two to get a patient in denial to tell you all the symptoms and to get your own shit together to call someone. 

Tonight's The Bait was the best this season.

The Bait has been excellent all season. The have a good format down and I love seeing the captains just being themselves.

I watched the marathon leading up to tonight's shows and it was interesting seeing episodes from the first two seasons. Captains and crews that didn't "put on a show", no yelling, just simple crab fishing. It was also heartbreaking to see the tragedies that occurred in the early seasons too. Disco really played up the "deadliest" part of the fishery back then.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

I LOVE watching Coast Guard: Alaska on the Weather Channel. Amazing men and women who risk everything to do their job. Not sure where they are at in their season (I am in the middle of a move) but you may be able to see it On Demand or reruns.

I bet that is the opening moments of the next episode. Even though they dragged it out over five minutes for us in the episode, it appeared to really just be a few minutes in real time. Having been in the same situation myself, it DOES take a minute or two to get a patient in denial to tell you all the symptoms and to get your own shit together to call someone. 

I wish they'd given an update on that crew member though - did he recover, can he walk OK?  I didn't see anything during the show (but I did miss about three minutes after a commercial break).

I knew they'd leave Sig until the last few minutes even though they called it Widowmaker part I, they did the same thing with the fire which was really only covered in Part II  (boy when you start listing it the NW has had a crap year).  I can't imagine how Edgar is going to react when they wake him up............maybe an even line between cool under pressure getting it done and complete is my brother going to die freak out.  At least we know the outcome though.

• Love 2

A couple episodes ago when Mandy went to wake her dad, knowing what was due to happen at some point, I had flashbacks of them finding Phil in his bunk with his stroke.   I'm glad Sig's heart attack happened while he was awake and others were around.   But yes, Sig is never going to give in to his body dammit.   I am quite sure Disco would have stepped in, if Sig didn't finally acknowledge reality.

It's a little easier to watch knowing Sig is still with is.  Him being on the Bait right before this episode kinda gives that away.

• Love 1

As it was, the Disco dude demonstrated at least two things to me.  1)  He was too afraid of the relationship with Sig to do the right thing.  He could see his career flashing before his eyes if he rightly sought help, and stopped taping for a hot minute, thus risking Sig's wrath.  2)  They can deny it all they want, but Disco and all its minions care more about the show than ANY other consideration.  

Phil gave VERY specific instructions and permissions that they could film his death.  Sig, I'd bet anything, has not.  What was the value of rolling tape (so to speak) in the moments we saw?  Sig could have died at any time.  Any notion of decency screamed, "Stop taping!"

Legally, Disco was well within its rights.  Yet, as we see time and time and time and time again in our world...just because you CAN do something, does not mean you SHOULD.  

• Love 1

I can see it both ways -- I mean, I've had food lodge in my esophagus and clutched my chest because of the pain of it. The Disco guy was calm and gently tried to lead Sig to the truth.  It generally isn't very helpful to say "You're having a heart attack -- HELP!"  He pointed out that the combination of the arm and the chest was serious.  I can't remember if there were any edits, but all of what we saw could have unfolded in 5 mins or less.  It's hard to take an adult's autonomy away, especially if they're the surly type.  I suspect it was less about losing footage than not wanting to incite Sig into blockheadedly risking his own life by antagonizing him.

Sverre Hansen probably died of the same thing -- didn't they say he went to lay down for a nap and didn't get back up?  Sig's definitely lucky he didn't go to bed and sleep through it.  

• Love 1

Sig said he gave Discovery permission to edit it as they wanted.  The cameraman went, in just the few minutes we saw, from saying "do you want to go to the clinic" to " you need to go to the clinic"  so he wasn't ignoring what was going on.

My issue was with the filming to begin with.  Even though he said to continue the interview, he was not in his right mind.  Phil's permissions granted extraordinary rights to be in certain areas of the medical facility and they were done with careful consideration and a healthy dose of selflessness.  

My complaint is about the utter lack of decency on this, and pretty much all TV productions.  I do understand that this ship sailed decades ago.  

Yes, they continued filming at the time.   But, Sig survived and I am quite sure was okay with what they did.   Since, you know, he is alive to give his opinion.   If Sig is okay with it, I am not going to criticize. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought the camera person/producer handled the situation with Sig very decently and very respectfully as a person and as a person who's responsibility was to film a reality show.  This person did show concern but also gave allowance to Sig to realize (and himself) that it was a serious situation.  Sig didn't faint.  He didn't fall off his chair.  He had serious pain.  Something was going on.  I don't think this person filming was acting any different from anyone else who happened to be in a situation where someone was having the kind of heart attack like Sig was at that moment.  

I really didn't like the way Phil's death was handled despite Phil giving permission.  It was too much IMO.  From what we've seen so far with Sig's heart attack, the filming and reaction was proper. 

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 4

I've been working for a mobility device company for almost 2 years now after 20 years in retail. If I've learned nothing else, I've learned men, especially men like Sig, are stubborn about the reality about their current medical status. We do a LOT of work for the VA clinics and so many vets try to turn down things like stair lifts or ramps because "they don't need it yet" or someone else "needs it more". Yeah, that's not how the VA works. First, your doctor, physical therapist, and our evaluator all think you need it and second, it's not like the VA says they have X amount to award. Oh, and third, you've been part of this process for a while now, talked to at least 3 other people before I called you to tell you it's been awarded and I'm just checking to see if I'm good to order it. Then they tell ME nahhh… don't need it or want it and I'm left trying to convince them that they DO need it and please, please, please let us come and give you this $$$ medical equipment. They can refuse me, the nameless faceless voice on the phone, but the 3 or more people they saw in person, they let them all go head with the plan. Me, I'm just insulting their manhood by trying to get confirmation that I can order the equipment they need to help them out. Sig would 100% be the guy who says no after going all along with it for at least a couple months in the planning stage. He'd also be the guy I  get a call from the wife about when he lets me schedule said equipment for installation and she calls back to say he's got a doctors appointment that day and same time and it needs to be changed. LOL! 

I do think it's lucky Sig was on board and literally being filmed at that exact moment because if he was alone, I suspect this wouldn't have turned out with a relatively happy ending. If he had been alone up there, I can see him trying to walk it off or wait for it to pass. The guys were all out on the deck or sleeping or whatever, but the chances of one of them happening to have found him would have been slim. 

• Love 9
On 7/27/2016 at 0:57 PM, kassa said:

I understood that part -- he fishes Dungeness crab.  Their season starts after some other kind of fishery ends.  It appears that the first fishery closed early, and the Dungie crab season was moved up.  Or something like that.  So when he agreed to come work for Jake, he thought he could fit it in because Dungies weren't slated to start for a month.  And then it got moved on him.  Now, how unusual this situation is where they just start a season early because another one closes early, I don't know.  Jake seemed to know the guy fished Dungies.

Jake Anderson is sizing up to be the biggest asshole on the Bering Sea.

I have zero tolerance for his tantrums, his spewing profanity, his constant whining.   I used to like the guy but lately he's been making Elliot Neese seem easygoing. 

It seems like every other week he brings in some new guy he claims is a friend, then winds up berating and firing the guy on national television.

Maybe if Jake hadn't left port a week late, the deal with Tommy would have worked out.   Jake dumped all the blame on Tommy but the Saga was running a week behind schedule.   A good captain would have checked the deckhand's availability for the pushed-back time-frame before leaving port.  Jake knew Tommy fishes dungeness (though to be fair Tommy should have brought it up when Jake didn't).   Still, the buck stops with the captain.

What a jerk Jake has become.

I don't like the unrelated Coast Guard rescues.   I mean, okay, it happens, but if it's not directly related to the featured ships on the show, what's the point except to pad the episode?   There's another show all about that -- Alaska Coast Guard Rescue, I think it's called.   But I'm not watching that show, I'm watching Deadliest Catch.  Enough already.

Ditto for all the manufactured drama over Sig's heart attack.   They have shown promo clips all freaking season, trying to build suspense, meanwhile we see him all happy and jolly on The Bait.   How concerned can we really be?

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2
On 7/30/2016 at 6:21 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

My issue was with the filming to begin with.  Even though he said to continue the interview, he was not in his right mind.  Phil's permissions granted extraordinary rights to be in certain areas of the medical facility and they were done with careful consideration and a healthy dose of selflessness.  

My complaint is about the utter lack of decency on this, and pretty much all TV productions.  I do understand that this ship sailed decades ago.  

But basically all reality shows and documentaries do this and we all watch.

• Love 1

Everybody participating this year has seen the previous seasons and knows how each person has been portrayed, fairly or unfairly.  They watched Phil's emergency and eventual death play out.  They saw how Derek Ray was portrayed for the sake of propping Josh and Jake.  They saw countless greenhorns humiliated (for cause and not), Blake Painter portrayed in a way that outraged Rick Quashnick, arguably one of the more popular captains on the show, to quit outright.  Even Mike Fourtner took some real hits in editing his departure, despite fences having obviously been mended since.  They watched the emotional torture that Jake Anderson went through with his father and sister, Freddie's breakdown and humiliation, and Elliott's complete collapse, multiple men overboard and barely rescued men recounting their stories because they thought they might still die.  Heck, they even filmed their own cameraman/producer getting attacked by Keith. And the camera never stopped (except for Johnathan beating that deckhand up).  

And we watched it all, too.  So I don't think Sig would have had a leg to stand on if he suddenly got squeamish, even if he were the type.  

• Love 4

Besides, Sig has been there since Day #1.  And he is listed as a producer of the show.  So, I would think he would have a pretty big say into what would be edited/aired.  

Even if not, since he has been there so long, he would also know how the Disco folks would most likely put the episode together. 

That all being said, it was still hard for me to watch.

• Love 1