Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: That Was Very Greek of Us

• Start Topic

(edited)

Oh god, I'm seeing Below Deck previews and I stated upthread that Ben and Kate are the only returnees which I'm fine with but.....Kelley is back (Ashly's brother from season two IIRC).  Yuk.

Edited:  That would be Amy's brother but ya knew who I meant....

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Rlb8031 said:

So, its far too late for this suggestion, but I would love it if the reunion show included a segment with Bobby, Bobby's mom, Bryan and Bryan's mom all talking about how Bobby and Brian behaved towards the women in the crew. I think that would be fascinating...

Ginger beer is soda. It's like ginger ale, but with more ginger and far less sugar.

Okay, I am so in on the ginger beer.  I recently discovered Sunny Orange Ginger tea and I just want more, more, more ginger.  Not really crazy about candied carrots, but I bet ginger and chili powder is a knockout.

I don't know about hauling in the mothers.  I'm not a mother so maybe this is speaking out of turn, but someone planted and nurtured the seeds of entitlement in those men.  It would be a horror show if Bryan and Bobby preened while their mothers were all "pish-posh, those rude people should never have aggravated my perfect son."

• Love 1

Maryland has some very exclusive ocean- and bay-front communities (e.g., the Eastern Shore), with a strong boating culture. Many of the estates are owned by the Washington DC elite. I can see Jen seeking a position in that community.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, candall said:

I don't know about hauling in the mothers.  I'm not a mother so maybe this is speaking out of turn, but someone planted and nurtured the seeds of entitlement in those men.  It would be a horror show if Bryan and Bobby preened while their mothers were all "pish-posh, those rude people should never have aggravated my perfect son."

That's the point. Either they planted and nurtured it, or they sat by while someone else did. Watching them do mental gymnastics while trying to explain how its okay that their boys called women c**** ("...but they deserved it") would be some must see tv.

• Love 1

I have no respect for Captain Clueless even in hindsight he can't see that he was wrong about Bryan and Bobby. He could have at the least stated that they need to be more careful in their behavior, their drinking while being a leader, their aggression, and handling women working with them.

Those two assholes are headed towards a DUI, an assault charge and a harassment lawsuit. Captain Clueless also if he keeps allowing coworkers be harassed granted this time nobody went to him.

Still, no respect for the man. None

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Rlb8031 said:

That's the point. Either they planted and nurtured it, or they sat by while someone else did. Watching them do mental gymnastics while trying to explain how its okay that their boys called women c**** ("...but they deserved it") would be some must see tv.

Okay, got it--same page!  (I thought the hypothetical plan was to wake them up by showing their rude behavior to their mothers, i.e. women they respect.)

I assume Estate and Pool Maintenance is basically caretaking rich people's ocean-side homes. Keeping the teak decks free of salt, keeping their boats and water toys polished and gassed and serviced,  making sure the landscapers use only gluten free pesticide, etc.  Same kind of tidy-stuff-up-outdoors-for-rich-people-with-occasional- mechanical-tasks position, only on land.

As the show ended I saw the ad for the Caribbean starting soon.  Presumably Ben knew he was headed back there for another season, and how many stews can he really bang on national television without it looking bad?  I mean, it already kind of does, but if the franchises are providing him not only with income but exposure for professional advancement, responding to her over the top advances on the last night before he headed off to shoot another series was probably not a good move.  If they renew the show they'll both be back and they can bang next year.  

I would not put it past production to have alerted multiple cast members that there was a bounty on last minute  booty call since they'd gone a whole season without it.  

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Giselle said:

I have no respect for Captain Clueless even in hindsight he can't see that he was wrong about Bryan and Bobby. He could have at the least stated that they need to be more careful in their behavior, their drinking while being a leader, their aggression, and handling women working with them.

Those two assholes are headed towards a DUI, an assault charge and a harassment lawsuit. Captain Clueless also if he keeps allowing coworkers be harassed granted this time nobody went to him.

Still, no respect for the man. None

I was willing to give Captain Mark a pass until he started cracking jokes with Bryan and Bobby about Danny and the Bosun trying to tie off to the buoy. If you really thought that Danny and the Bosun were that clueless, he could have sent Bryan and Bobby along. That was some dickish behavior. Some leader. And then when he didn't say one damn word about Bobby tossing Danny's stuff out, I realized that he's a dipshit whose ability to lead is nonexistent.

Bobby has some measure of self-awareness. I imagine that if he found himself in trouble because of his drunken aggressive obnoxiousness, he'd probably express some level of remorse. Bryan is a lost cause. When the hot tub episode aired, some people felt like Bryan's aggression and lack of remorse reminded them of the Stanford rapist. In this episode, Bryan's 4 female coworkers tell him that he can be aggressive, rude, condescending, and demeaning to women and his response is "this is how you women messed up." He does not and never will get it. I would hope it never rises to Stanford rapist levels, but Bryan doesn't give me much faith that he would understand what he did wrong in that situation either.

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, kassa said:

As the show ended I saw the ad for the Caribbean starting soon.  Presumably Ben knew he was headed back there for another season, and how many stews can he really bang on national television without it looking bad?  I mean, it already kind of does, but if the franchises are providing him not only with income but exposure for professional advancement, responding to her over the top advances on the last night before he headed off to shoot another series was probably not a good move.  If they renew the show they'll both be back and they can bang next year.  

My feeling about Ben is that if he's single and the women are single, it's all good.  I don't believe that everybody is supposed to find that one person to spend the rest of their life with, by age thirty.  At least Ben acts like an adult and isn't a gross caveman like Bryan and Bobby.

• Love 19

I totally agree, Neurochick.  He's a man among boys, even if he's a moody cuss. He snaps a lot at people, but generally speaking treats them respectfully. I thought he handled the last Danny phone incident in the way the captain should have been doing (but wasn't).  I thought the early season blow up with reporting Hannah to the captain was out of character.    Not sure what we might not have been shown, but he seems to have been acting out of a conviction that he was somehow being set up in some way.  

• Love 4
23 hours ago, beesknees said:
On 7/28/2016 at 11:09 AM, movingtargetgal said:

I use ginger beer to make glazed carrots every Thanksgiving.    I cook the carrots in the ginger beer and buttter (no water) slowly reducing the liquid.  Add a pinch of chili powder and you have side dish greatness. My friends and family can't get enough of them.  

Oh, I got to make those carrots.  So, is ginger beer actual beer or hard soda or ???

The glazed carrot recipe I use is not mine, it's Alton Brown's.  Just google "Alton Brown glazed carrots" and you will find the recipe.  His original recipe called for "good quality" ginger ale, however, when I looked it up today, Alton changed out the ginger ale for ginger beer. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Maryland has some very exclusive ocean- and bay-front communities (e.g., the Eastern Shore), with a strong boating culture. Many of the estates are owned by the Washington DC elite. I can see Jen seeking a position in that community.

Maryland does have many water communities and a strong boating, and especially sailing culture, but I read that she relocated to North Bethesda which is bit of a hike to the Chesapeake or any of the rivers.

On 7/28/2016 at 4:15 PM, Rlb8031 said:

So, its far too late for this suggestion, but I would love it if the reunion show included a segment with Bobby, Bobby's mom, Bryan and Bryan's mom all talking about how Bobby and Brian behaved towards the women in the crew. I think that would be fascinating...

Ginger beer is soda. It's like ginger ale, but with more ginger and far less sugar.

LOVE.  Thank You and I'm on it.  Will find that G Beer and make the carrots.

(edited)
9 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Maryland does have many water communities and a strong boating, and especially sailing culture, but I read that she relocated to North Bethesda which is bit of a hike to the Chesapeake or any of the rivers.

Haha, "North Bethesda" -- that's the local realtors' new name for Rockville Pike. Yup, rather far from the Bay and all the boating communities. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2
(edited)

AfterBuzz TV reviewed the final episode, and Tiffany was there as well.   

They also talked to one of the producers.  (it's on youtube, search AfterBuzz TV Below Deck Mediterranean)

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

This is not specific to this episode but for some reason I was always turned off by the state of the yacht on this season. Everything seemed surface clean but the crew area always seemed really unkempt to me, moreso than on the other Below Deck. I know we discussed the layout of this yacht on an earlier thread and the guest quarters weren't really as close to the messy crew quarters as things looked on the show but even still, it seemed like things were less spotless than I would expect from a 5 Star experience at top dollar. Plus this crew seemed to lounge around the guest areas way more than the Caribbean crew (or maybe I just don't remember that properly). At any rate, it threw me off from episode one this season and was only reinforced in this final episode when I saw lots of stuff laying around in guest hallways and just general messiness everywhere. 

I know that behind the scenes in hotels and restaurants is never pristine (I work in hospitality myself) but I was always vaguely grossed out by the Ionian Princess. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Haha, "North Bethesda" -- that's the local realtors' new name for Rockville Pike. Yup, rather far from the Bay and all the boating communities. 

Yep.  And if part of Jenn's maintenance duties included taking care of someone's yacht, I'm sure she would have included that in what she's doing now.  But she didn't.

As much as I can't stand Bryan or Bobby she wasn't as good as she tried to imply.  Did she have the right to have a problem with their attitudes?  Absolutely.  But she also had an attitude.

• Love 5
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 3:13 PM, kassa said:

I thought the early season blow up with reporting Hannah to the captain was out of character.    Not sure what we might not have been shown, but he seems to have been acting out of a conviction that he was somehow being set up in some way.

That was not cool, but I did wonder about the possibility he was determined to get his version of the story in first

When Hannah was giving her speech about protecting each other--"the crewmates' code"--I was trying to remember, didn't she make a special trip to report Danny to the captain about something or other?

Edited by candall
punctuation.

TeeMo, I had the same impression about crew, their quarters, and their usage of the guest areas of the ship even when (or so it seemed to me) when there was a charter in progress.  I just never connected the dots, but now that I have, that is definitely why I was turned off by this version of BD long before bryan and bobby proved what complete and total asshats they are. I will still watch the original, but I don't think I'd even bother giving this one the courtesy of viewing the first episode of a new season.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, candall said:

When Hannah was giving her speech about protecting each other--"the crewmates' code"--I was trying to remember, didn't she make a special trip to report Danny to the captain about something or other?

Yes...apparently that "code" only applies to crew members not named Danny. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, MsTree said:

Yes...apparently that "code" only applies to crew members not named Danny. 

More likely the code applies when it doesn't involve guests. Hannah was talking about reporting the behavior of Bobby and Bryan when they were off charter, she went to the Captain when Danny was showing the creepy old dude guests pictures of the Tilted Kilt waitresses in revealing photos on his phone.

Same with her issue with Ben going to the captain while it involved the menu the guests were none the wiser, so I don't see a double standard or making an exception because it was Danny.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

Bobby really ended up looking like a douche kabob, between hurling nasty insults at the women when he was drunk, to basically belaming Julia for him falling for her. He can go back to sucking his thumb (there's no other explanation for the setting of those teeth) and plan his next tribal tattoo. I got the feeling that the female viewers were supposed to swoon over Bobby, and although he had a nice physique, his sheer lack of an acceptable personality blew it for me.

Ben can screw Tiff all he wants. They are young and having fun, and she was low maintenance. Hannah is a cool girl, but she needs to learn how to read a dude. Hannah, don' t chase, it isn't a good look.

Brian being a frat guy explains his personality, as I think he is still caught up in days of yore when pledging to your fraternity was the driving factor of life, scouting out hot babes at the frat parties, and drinking beer. The captions for his drunk speak are hilarious.  This dude does NOT deserve to be in charge, he does not know how to lead, and openly plays favorites while kissing the captains ass.

Lets hope the Captain figures out his eyebrow situation before the next charter season.

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, RedHawk said:

North Gaithersburg became Potomac, gotta love real estate agents!

• Love 1