Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Jeff, Rocky Mountain Vet - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

I know this is somewhat controversial, but weren't those puppies awfully young to be spayed and neutered? Conventional wisdom right now, from what I understand, is that it's best to wait until a year or almost a year, so that they are fully grown and had had the benefits of the hormones on their bones and muscles. 

I think the timing is based on breed. Tiny dogs like Chihuahuas and Yorkies 6 to 8 months, for larger breed dogs it's 18 months to 2 years. I know the giant breed rescue we use, now has a proviso that puppies aren't fixed until they're 2 years or an x-ray shows their growth plates are fully matured. Studies show it helps prevent orthopedic issues and some cancers (per the akc's website). At the same time you have to balance that statistical probability against the owner's willingness to come back for a spay/neuter later on. And the benefits of spay/neuter (fewer unwanted pets and fewer behavior issues tied to hormones, which lead to an animal being dumped).

Because we adopt giant breed dogs, I'm always like you're the right size to be blood donors, alas my current dog while the right age and weight and super healthy, is terrified of the vet (and we can't take him to PPI because they just don't have the time or space to deal with him. The minute he sees a scale he's like, nope, I'm out) and now he's on anti-anxiety meds. So no blood donation, but I know of at least 2 vets that will offer discounted care if you allow your dog to donate blood. And one used to keep cats for blood donation and then rehome them after a year. So glad they were able to get blood for Ludo.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

Conventional wisdom right now, from what I understand, is that it's best to wait until a year or almost a year,

That's one school of thought, certainly, but I've not understood it to be the conventional wisdom other than for giant breeds.  Granted, my knowledge is of cats, but my outsider's understanding of dog rescue is, absent special circumstances, early spay/neuter is the better option.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Watching the Saturday marathon and although I love every episode of Dr. Jeff, my absolute favorites are the trips to Mexico. It's so true that poor people love their pets just as much as anyone else but can't afford veterinary care and vets are few and far between in Mexico and many other poor areas of the world.

Tonight's new episode shows Jeff and Hector going to elderly/senior communities during the pandemic to ensure the pets receive proper care. 

Between Dr. Jeff and Tia Torres, they just make my heart full of happiness and the love they have for animals. And for human kindness towards all people, everywhere.

• Love 4

They hardly ever show stories with fatal outcomes on this show, but I knew that's where things were headed with Zula.  I don't think I'd have done the surgery (maybe removed the spleen and then closed up), but that doesn't mean I think it was wrong to try.  Poor Blair.  I'm glad it was included so Zula could get that tribute at the end; Blair was able to share with the world how loved and how loving her dog was. 

Tippy's little I don't feel good face perking up after eating was cute.  As was the quick shot (when Dr. Don was talking about Zula's death) of a little orange kitten rolling around in her/his cage despite the dreaded cone.

I liked the one senior living center cat pitching a fit about having her claws trimmed.  It got me thinking that would be a good ongoing service for someone to volunteer, going to such living centers to do mani-pedis for the pets, pandemic or not -- so many of the residents either physically can't do it themselves or shouldn't risk getting bit or scratched, but it's a trouble to bring them in to a vet or groomer for that, and a mobile grooming service may not be in the budget. 

Bobo's owner is never going to convince a bunch of old people to stop giving that dog treats.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I liked the one senior living center cat pitching a fit about having her claws trimmed.  It got me thinking that would be a good ongoing service for someone to volunteer, going to such living centers to do mani-pedis for the pets, pandemic or not -- so many of the residents either physically can't do it themselves or shouldn't risk getting bit or scratched, but it's a trouble to bring them in to a vet or groomer for that, and a mobile grooming service may not be in the budget. 

Yes. Absolutely. Sometimes cats really do need to go to a vet for a simple nail trim. Not the majority, just "some".

But the rest of the kitties who hate nail trims can, quite often, get through a nail trim by a vet assistant/tech stopping by the owners home. Quick and easy for everyone including the cat!

Oh my gods -- people never believe me when I tell them about neuticles, but here they are.  I'm glad Dr. Jeff refuses to put them in on dogs.

Kova's face was so expressive -- I could tell she didn't feel good, but I could also tell she knew she was being taken care of.

Elmo is lucky to have wound up with a relatively simple jaw injury.  I was a few minutes late tuning in, so I didn't know until Petra's post-op interview the cat had been attacked by the owner's own dog.  How extra terrifying to be attacked in her own home.  Yikes - it sounded like from what Petra said the dog was new to the family and the owner didn't properly supervise that situation.  Poor Elmo paid the price!  He was adorable, eating as soon as food was offered and then rolling around in his cage getting petted by Jes - even with the good drugs on board, that's not a common response from a cat in that situation.  He's a sweetheart.  Jes really liked him, and kept holding him like a baby - so cute.

I thought for sure when Fred refused to jump in the swimming hole, he was going to instead run over and jump in the pond.  I loved Melody saying, "We didn't get a built-in pool when we were little, but I guess the dog does."

• Love 2

Tonight's new episode with the tiny tuxedo kitten who instantly bonded with the torti cat who obviously loves being a mommy! I hope the "mama" cat finds a loving home. The kitten will be adopted but adult cats/dogs are too often overlooked.

The injured raccoon. So glad she was ok and able to go back into the wilderness. F the A-holes that set animal traps. 

And why are Animal planet and Nat Geo running (simultaneously) new episodes tonight of Critter Fixers AND Dr. Jeff?

Adorable little Pie hopping right into the momma cat's house was precious!  And what a good kitty that foster momma is; I hope she gets a home, too (PP has a really good adoption rate, so I'm glad they were able to pull her from the shelter -- it's great that she could serve as the foster mom whenever they had a kitten in need of one, but she deserves to be someone's pet).

Bob just standing there with an open stab wound, wagging his tail --- until he got into the treatment room, and then it promptly got tucked between his legs.  That "uh-oh, something vet-like is going to happen to me" reaction was cute.

Puppy was pretty impressive, walking on that leg so soon after surgery.  I'm glad the owner said she hopes he can do his fly ball (or whatever it's called) competitions again, as they have fun, but as long as he heals and its healthy, that's all she needs. 

I think raccoons are one of the cutest species in the world, and, yeah, they can be vicious.  I'd have been like Dr. Jeff, taking advantage of the opportunity to play with those cute little hands.  I'm glad she was able to be released.

My friend's cat once had a temperature of 106, and we never did find the source.  After brief hospitalization with supportive treatment like Gordo received, she was fine.

I like the horse having a mini-horse buddy, who got to stay in the stall with Neo while he recuperated.

I love this show and am glad it's back. But honestly, with the kitten. I swear we spent more time with that kitten than with the actual patients tonight.  Finding a seven week old kitten isn't that unusual and nothing about what they did with her was unusual and we had to listen to the 'how I found her' story multiple times. Enough already show!  We get it. You found an adorable kitten. Move on. It was just so much padding.

Poor Bob, so brave taking a stab for his human, doing his best to protect him. And managing the pain so well.  Puppy with the broken leg, Gordo with the mysteriously high temp, and the raccoon with trap -- more of that please.

All in all a good episode.

On 4/23/2022 at 6:01 PM, Bastet said:

I think raccoons are one of the cutest species in the world, and, yeah, they can be vicious.  I'd have been like Dr. Jeff, taking advantage of the opportunity to play with those cute little hands.  I'm glad she was able to be released.

We are currently rehabbing raccoon babies, whose eyes aren't even open yet.  You want to talk about cute!

It's too bad the raccoon couldn't be cared for if her leg was broken but unfortunately, that's how it goes unless she could have gone to a licensed rehabber.  Jeff couldn't have had her there to recover after the surgery.  So it was a great thing that it was only a soft tissue injury. 

Edited by Rammchick
On 4/23/2022 at 11:15 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Finding a seven week old kitten isn't that unusual and nothing about what they did with her was unusual and we had to listen to the 'how I found her' story multiple times. Enough already show!  We get it. You found an adorable kitten. Move on. It was just so much padding.

I loved the story about the kitten. Not every story has to be a horrendous situation. I've worked in veterinary services for many years and also animal rescue so I know horrible stories and I know happy stories. I learn so much from both. But it IS always nice to see an occasional happy story. 

For anyone who is more interested in the sad aspect of veterinary medicine just work for a vet or volunteer for your local animal rescue shelters. You'll get your fill. 

• Love 1

It wasn't happy story versus sad story for me. It was 'there's no story there' with the kitten.  Nothing to see here, move on. That they spent that amount of time on a non-story irritated me. I have had dozens of cats in my lifetime, most of the found variety, and the 'story' of this kitten was simply not special enough to take up this amount of time on a television show, IMO.  YMMV.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

It wasn't happy story versus sad story for me. It was 'there's no story there' with the kitten.  Nothing to see here, move on. That they spent that amount of time on a non-story irritated me. I have had dozens of cats in my lifetime, most of the found variety, and the 'story' of this kitten was simply not special enough to take up this amount of time on a television show, IMO.  YMMV.

I get your point and I apologize for misunderstanding your words. I think all of us who post on the animal rescue/vet threads are very compassionate, sensitive people. Otherwise we wouldn't be watching these shows. 😊

• Love 1

Yay, a Shelley sighting!  I was afraid she wasn't there anymore. 

"Wow, is there no end to your talent?" when Dr. Jeff was the only one that matted dog would let shave him was cute.  I love how disgusted he  was by someone calling themselves a "shelter" for animals with conditions like that.

Vinnie quickly turning into a cranky patient was funny, but I always appreciate when vets acknowledge cats, in particular, recover a lot better at home than at the vet's office, so if they don't absolutely need hospitalization, it's best to send them home and see how they do there.

Kayah's owner was so scared.  It's got to be a terrible set of emotions when your pet was injured by another one of your pets, because your kid did something stupid.  I'm glad that turned out okay.

• Love 1

I'm glad Honey Bunny's owner was able to find a good temporary environment for her at PP - as I understand it, most rabbits would be stressed with all those people and noises, and rabbits don't deal well with stress - and then reclaim her.  Whenever I see people post looking for people to temporarily "foster" their pet while they're in housing transition, I worry they're never going to come back for the pet.

I laughed at Dr. Jeff saying you couldn't pay him to have a puppy.  Same, dude.  Way too much work.

Seeing Lolly able to run was great!

I like how Dr. Jeff tells Susan not to pull any dogs from the puppy mill rescue, knowing full well someone with four legs will be making the ride back with them.  Ginger inching up and hiding her head between Susan's knees was equal parts sad and sweet.  It was so nice to see her learn to be a free, loved, trusting dog.

"Mamma's okay" when Sam was consoling his owner because she'd started crying made me join in with some tears of my own; that's an utterly precious bond.

Mel's face when she found out Tyrion had already had a corn cob surgically removed not even a year ago was great.  He has such a happy personality.

I'm glad Stewart is indoors now.  I wish a cat they'd had since he was a kitten had never been a "primarily outdoor" cat in the first place, WTF, but he's safe now and they're helping him through the cabin fever of the transition period.

• Love 1
(edited)

LOL at Dr. Jeff saying their cat let his daughter put a dress on him and roll him around in a baby carriage, but if Jeff tried to pet him, the cat ran.

Marley the calf is adorable!  I'd have been like Paty, just wanting to stay there cuddling.

Poor T-Bone; like Dr. Jeff said, if they'd neutered him, he wouldn't have tried jumping that fence to begin with.  At least it's done now and he's young and healthy so even breaking four toes he'll heal quickly.  He was funny making Hector carry him around.

And poor Lily!  That injury would scare the hell out of me in my cat.  And keeping a kitten in lockdown for 10 days cannot be fun for anyone.

I love that the woman who took in her niece's turtle, despite having absolutely no idea how to take care of one, took him to a vet within two days to make sure he was healthy and find out what he needs.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

"Fred knows I'm the boss."
Cut to Fred completely ignoring Dr. Jeff's commands.

I love Watson!  I miss him wheeling around the clinic, but it was great to see him with his mommy.

It was also nice to learn about some of the production crew who adopted from the clinic.  I love the Ollie Cam.

Yaro got big!  But he thinks he still fits on Christine's shoulder, adorable.

Gigi was so calm during her ultrasound.

Doris and baby Biscuit made me want to find and do great bodily harm to the owners who didn't vaccinate, bred their dog, and then said they didn't want her back once she was spayed after losing 10 of her 11 puppies to Parvo.

Dr. B. really drove home the long lifespan of tortoises when he told his grandkids they'd have them for the rest of their lives -- they'd be old grandpas themselves, and those tortoises would still be around.

• Love 4

I'm so happy they finally released Dr. Jeff's current season on Discovery +.

I'm so sad I binge-watched it over the weekend and now I have to find something new to watch.

I hope they bring back some of the "Zoo" shows - and I really liked the one on the Georgia Aquarium.

I was speaking to a friend of mine and she was telling me her golden retriever (4 years old) had recently started bleeding heavily (her words "crime scene") and a rare form of cancer was found in her uterus.  I was astonished because this person is usually a very responsible pet owner and I was surprised she hadn't spayed her (the dog was originally bought as an emotional support animal for her daughter).  She said she had hoped to breed her once to a poodle (heavy sigh but she was having medical issues and couldn't work) but the breeding didn't take and of course now they know why.  Poor sweet dog.  They are hoping they were able to get clean margins but weren't sure.  I guess time will tell.

• Sad 1
19 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I hope they bring back some of the "Zoo" shows - and I really liked the one on the Georgia Aquarium.

NatGeo Wild is currently showing a new season of Secrets of the Zoo (Columbus Zoo) and Secrets of the Zoo Down Under; they just finished a new season Secrets of the Zoo Tampa.  I also like The Aquarium, and hope that comes back.

• Useful 1
22 hours ago, Rammchick said:

NatGeo Wild is currently showing a new season of Secrets of the Zoo (Columbus Zoo) and Secrets of the Zoo Down Under; they just finished a new season Secrets of the Zoo Tampa.  I also like The Aquarium, and hope that comes back.

Thank you.  That means sooner or later they will show up on Discovery Plus...something to look forward to!

• Love 1

Anyone know if Dr. Jeff is done for the season? It's Saturday June 11th and I see (on Direct TV) no listing for Dr. Jeff today or tonight on Animal Planet. They typically do a day long Marathon leading up to the new episode. I see nothing but River Monsters all day and night.

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

The compilation of adoption stories two weeks ago was the last episode of this latest batch.

Wow. That seems like a very short season. I wish there were more new episodes. But thank you Bastet, for the info.

1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Wow. That seems like a very short season. I wish there were more new episodes.

That's how Animal Planet has been doing things - at least for the handful of its shows I watch - for a while now, showing small batches of new episodes of each show before moving on to the next.  Any time there's some sort of look-back, as with the adoption compilation, it's a good sign that's the last new episode for a while.  And, indeed, no new episode last week or this, with none on the horizon, so, yep, it's on hiatus again.

On 6/28/2022 at 6:32 AM, chenoa333 said:

And now, today 6/28, Animal Planet is showing 2 old (2015) episodes of Dr. Jeff at 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. Then it's Tanked and 2 episodes of PB&P.

AP is making me crazy mad! 😂

They never mark anything as repeats, so my DVR assumes they're new shows -- I always get a raft of old AP shows to delete.  It's annoying.

• Love 3
On 6/29/2022 at 8:47 AM, Rammchick said:

They never mark anything as repeats, so my DVR assumes they're new shows -- I always get a raft of old AP shows to delete.  It's annoying.

I know, it drives me crazy!

• Love 1

I just re-watched an old episode (because that's how I roll on a Saturday night), when they did one of their spay/neuter events in Mexico, took a street dog ("Paco") who needed a leg amputated to Dr. Jeff's international training clinic there to do the surgery, and then brought him back to Denver to adopt him out.  I love that the vet techs who speak Spanish worked with him, so they could speak to him with words he was used to hearing, helping him feel comfortable in such an unfamiliar environment.

He also had an infection to get cleared up, and needed to get used to a leash and otherwise adapt to being a pet.  He wound up happy as a clam with people who adore him -- and a nice little snow jacket to keep him happy in such a different climate.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 1/6/2023 at 6:47 PM, animal lover said:

I'm from upstate NY and we are in desperate need of a vet like this. I have 3 dogs and a cat that need to be fixed and even the low cost vets are too expensive. Love Dr jeff and his whole team.

Dr. Jeff always says pet overpopulation  will never end until all pets get neutered/spayed. This is so true.

I would love to see all kitten mills, puppy mills and any " breeding animals for profit" shut down forever. I know it won't  ever happen.

Hopefully Dr. Jeff is able to continue to make a change in this world for animals and their owners who love them but can't  afford vet care.

• Like 1

There is a store in a shopping center near me and they have people stand out by the road with signs advertising puppies.  I want to roll down my window and scream at them every time I pass them (but it isn't that kind of neighborhood).  It sickens me because I know the conditions those puppies are probably born into.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, RoxiP said:

There is a store in a shopping center near me and they have people stand out by the road with signs advertising puppies.  I want to roll down my window and scream at them every time I pass them (but it isn't that kind of neighborhood).  It sickens me because I know the conditions those puppies are probably born into.

I would not be able to contain myself. Glad you have more self control.

We need more Dr. Jeffs in this world and less breeders. 

• Like 4

Young is raising $1.5 million to transform the Conifer Crossings building at 11825 U.S. 285 into a state-of-the-art veterinary hospital and training center for veterinarians from around the country. The building formerly housed Scooter’s Smokehouse and Grill.

Is that the place we saw on the show, where he and Hector were planning what they could do themselves to transform a restaurant into a vet clinic?  Seems like quite a while ago, though.

1 minute ago, DonnaMae said:

No mention about his recovery from cancer return.

I haven't been following him, did he have a reoccurrence of his cancer? Is that what you mean? He looks pretty good in that video.

11 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I haven't been following him, did he have a reoccurrence of his cancer? Is that what you mean? He looks pretty good in that video.

Yes, and he's been receiving treatment.  I've seen several articles, but don't know how he is doing now.

• Thanks 1
(edited)

I can't find any recent articles about him having cancer again, just a bunch of old ones.  Can you post a link?  I'm sorry to hear it has returned, if that's the case, but I hope you're just seeing old news.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2

Someone posted it from The Denver Post, but I can't access it because I don't want to pay to see it.  I briefly saw a photo of him talking to his crew and his head was shaved.  It looks like he's recuperating and working.

(edited)
1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:

Someone posted it from The Denver Post, but I can't access it because I don't want to pay to see it.  I briefly saw a photo of him talking to his crew and his head was shaved.  It looks like he's recuperating and working.

I think that's probably old, because he still has long hair as of a couple of weeks ago per his Instagram page (https://www.instagram.com/drneuter/). He did mention a lung+lymph node biopsy in a recent post, and responded to someone mentioning treatment on his lymph nodes in another post.

Edit: Just a warning that his IG has a lot of graphic unblurred animal wound photos if you're squeamish.

Edited by Abra
  • Like 1
On 5/27/2023 at 5:24 PM, Abra said:

I think that's probably old, because he still has long hair as of a couple of weeks ago per his Instagram page (https://www.instagram.com/drneuter/). He did mention a lung+lymph node biopsy in a recent post, and responded to someone mentioning treatment on his lymph nodes in another post.

Edit: Just a warning that his IG has a lot of graphic unblurred animal wound photos if you're squeamish.

It's this one from 2 weeks ago:  https://www.instagram.com/p/CsH07kxLY0z/