Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Jeff, Rocky Mountain Vet - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I liked the Spay Panama segment.  The dogs brought over from a neighboring island all conked out together after surgery was so cute, how one's paws were on top of another.

Always love the spay/neuter trips as we see how people with so little still loving their pets

Poor Nitro; it's heart-wrenching when they so visibly don't feel well.  I love the trick of having Mom and Dad come try to feed him to see if that would work to get him to eat; I've done that when my cats have been hospitalized, and sometimes it works.

And poor little Fred, with his Napoleon complex winding him up in surgery with torn muscle and a bruised kidney.  He has such cute spots on his shaved belly.

To dump your pet because you don't want to pay what a low-cost clinic would charge takes a special breed of asshole, especially when it's a kitten and you don't even know the cause and thus the treatment and prognosis.  I bet it was a breeder who considered her defective - since the poor little cat couldn't make her/him money, just dump her.  I love that Jes fell for her.  I mean, the fact someone selectively bred to continue a genetic mutation, creating a "designer" breed with all kinds of problems many who simply must have one aren't equipped to deal with is a decades-long problem, but this little cat exists, got dumped, and now will have love and appropriate care.

Not sure who looked the most miserable. Poor Nitro, so stiff and afraid to move because any movement might bring the pain back. Fred, obviously hurting, shivering and terrified. Then the scene with the poor hairless kitten wearing the cone of shame looking so pitiful.

I've always loved how Fred and Tina just hang out together all day while Jeff and Jes work, so add GiGi into the mix and I nearly squealed.  GiGi snuggling up to Tina's fur to get warm and Fred giving the nekkid cat a bath?!  I love it.  And I love Jes calling them his daughters, and laughing at the fact he has a long-haired Dalmation and a hairless cat.

Saw that one coming - Jes was falling in love with the kitten from the beginning

Edited by SRTouch
13 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Always love the spay/neuter trips as we see how people with so little still loving their pets

I always wonder about the numbers.  The clinics tend to be in somewhat isolated communities, so when they spay/neuter X pets, what percentage of pets in that community does it represent?  (Dr. Jeff may have said something about the math in tonight's episode.)  And how does that percentage - of pet owners who can barely take care of themselves turning up to get their pets this care they otherwise don't have access to/can't afford (period, or because they can't afford it) - compare to the percentage of people in a more central, economically diverse community who use a tiny bit of their disposable income to do right by their pets and have them fixed?

I guess what I really wonder is flipped around:  Is the percentage of those who have ready access to veterinary care and could easily afford to fix their pets yet refuse to (out of laziness, because they want to exploit them via breeding, are a macho man with a serious hang-up about his dog's balls, what have you) greater than the percentage of those who cannot afford it on their own and also decline to avail themselves of free services they hear about and could get to? 

In other words, how many people with unaltered animals are in that situation because they have no access to affordable vet care, how many because they generally have no such access and still skip it the times it's offered free, and how many not because of any outside barriers but because they're just that irresponsible?  Because it seems like the people for whom it's more difficult to obtain this service for their pets are, as a percentage of that demographic, less likely to decline it when offered than those for whom it would be easy and affordable yet still skip it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

To dump your pet because you don't want to pay what a low-cost clinic would charge takes a special breed of asshole, especially when it's a kitten and you don't even know the cause and thus the treatment and prognosis.  I bet it was a breeder who considered her defective - since the poor little cat couldn't make her/him money, just dump her. 

Agreed. I looked it up sphynx cats go for between $1500 and $5000. Who spends that kind of money on a cat and then dumps it at the first sign of ill health?

Fortunately she made a turn around and has an owner now that's going to love her and care for her.

We take it for granted our access to vet care for pets. Heck I'm spoiled in the metro Denver area for choices and having a vet school within an hr for serious issues. Yet, there are places were even spay/neuter and vaccinations are not even an option. Makes you count your blessings.

As Dr. Jeff pointed out by spaying/neutering 60% of the pet population they could really make a difference from that one visit. And I loved how interested everyone was and I hope the one student makes it as a vet in Panama.

Oh poor Nitro, my dog's the same way, he won't eat when he's in pain (often the first clue I have something is wrong). The only issue, if he won't eat I can't get meds in to make him feel better (vicious loop). Used to have a rescue basset hound, who had back problems, they're hard to diagnosis, but once you learn the signs and can stay on top of them (rest, pain meds, anti-inflammatories), you can have a happy healthy dog.

• Love 1

I was just going around the dial, and the repeat of this episode is on; it's cute when Dr. Jeff is petting the sphynx in the chamber he's put her in (telling her she looks like a gargoyle), starting to close the little porthole, when she sticks her face up to it wanting more attention and he lowers it back down, pets her some more, and then closes it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, EighteenTwelve said:

I used to joke that my next cat should be a sphynx so my mom would have a grandkid to knit sweaters for. At least GiGi has a nice warm dog to curl up with in the winter.

And Fred to give her baths 😆

They kept showing a little Sphinx kitten getting a tongue bath from a dog up in the right corner during the credits, so I was happy to finally see the whole story. GiGi is a doll, and I knew from the start that Jes would adopt her, too.

• Love 2

My dog also has back problems that flare up periodically.  But unlike Nitro, Griffen will let you know very clearly when he's in pain, and so far -- knock wood -- he has never lost his appetite.

Jeff was right, that cat does look like a gargoyle -- I got a good chuckle out of that.    

• Love 2

Just as I thought, "If I was that little girl (who'd taken care of the kittens whose momma was killed by a car), I'd be bawling at having to give them up," she started crying.  I liked the shelter worker telling her she'd done a wonderful thing, and now they'd take over, and send her pictures to let her know they were doing well.

Looking at their teeth while the rats were knocked out, I understand how those little suckers can be so destructive in a short period of time.

Che was seriously cute, and I love how he made Dr. B. laugh with his "don't examine me, pet me" antics.

Baby's owner was so scared when she brought him in, I'm glad that worked out so well.  Nice to have the person who initially saved Baby there to see him reunited with his mom.

The two Yorkies with bad knees were cute together.  It's interesting that sutures were the cause of the problem for one of them.  Did one of them have a bad front leg, too?  I just caught a glimpse of the final segment with them running around at home, and at first I thought one was a tripod, but then it looked like a front leg they weren't putting weight on.

Yes, I do believe one of the Yorkies had lost part of a front leg...so yes I guess a tripod. Most animals seem to do fine on three legs. Heck wasn't Duncan on "Amanda to the Rescue" a double amputee? Maybe more?? Can't remember.

Loved the kittens, felt sad for the little girl hope Dr Jeff followed through with photos for her.

Edited by Gramto6
18 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I wish the parents had let the little girl keep one kitten. The cat they had would get used to it. I speak from experience.

While the little girl was clearly attached to the kittens, we don't know their situation at home. Their current cat was uncomfortable and they chose to put their present cat's needs first. That's the responsible thing to do. For all we know their current cat is older or has a health issues and a kitten in the house would be too stressful. Or maybe this was their way of saying the couldn't afford another pet. The little girl learned about responsible pet ownership. It's hard to pass up animals in need, but you have to prioritize caring for the ones you have and that's a heartbreaking lesson, but it's part of being a good pet owner.

Besides they made sure the kittens were cared for and they all ended up in homes.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Gwendolyn said:

While the little girl was clearly attached to the kittens, we don't know their situation at home. Their current cat was uncomfortable and they chose to put their present cat's needs first. That's the responsible thing to do. For all we know their current cat is older or has a health issues and a kitten in the house would be too stressful. Or maybe this was their way of saying the couldn't afford another pet. The little girl learned about responsible pet ownership. It's hard to pass up animals in need, but you have to prioritize caring for the ones you have and that's a heartbreaking lesson, but it's part of being a good pet owner.

Besides they made sure the kittens were cared for and they all ended up in homes.

You’re positing a lot of facts not in evidence. I’m just going by what the dad said. My cat Neela, the oldest (6 years)of my current four, was a young adult cat when I got Baelish who was a kitten. She didn’t like him at all at first. Now, even though he is twice her size, she grooms him as if she is his mama and they snuggle in a cat bed.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

You’re positing a lot of facts not in evidence. I’m just going by what the dad said. My cat Neela, the oldest (6 years)of my current four, was a young adult cat when I got Baelish who was a kitten. She didn’t like him at all at first. Now, even though he is twice her size, she grooms him as if she is his mama and they snuggle in a cat bed.

Going by what the father said, they chose to put the cat at home first. I respect that.

It's not like they dumped the kittens on the street, they took them to their local shelter, who handed them off to Dr. Jeff's team to find homes.

What I was saying is we don't know why they chose not to keep the kittens. But I respect the father's choice (as he knows the full details) and while the little girl was sad, she's learning a valuable lesson about responsible pet ownership.

I was in the little girl's situation as when I was 12 and I wanted to take in a brittany spaniel I petted on my way to school every day when the owners decided to re-home him. My parents agreed to meet and greet with our yr old great dane, it didn't go well and the decision was made for the dogs that we couldn't take on the spaniel. I was upset, but I loved our dane and I saw how it stressed her out and as sad as it made me to not give that sweet spaniel a home, I agreed it was best for the dogs. I'm sure other things went into the decision that were above my 12 yr old head (like cost and the fact we were renting at the time).

I'm glad your kitty was accepting of the kitten. But that isn't always the way, I expect they know their cat best.

I just felt it was a really good example of how you can help pets in need, while not adopting them all one's self.

• Love 4

I only saw this in bits and pieces because I was watching during breaks in football play.

Kino's situation is so weird!  If she was born with only one kidney, how did neither of the two vets who spayed her notice that, especially the second one, who'd be using it as a guidepost to find the area where the ovary would have been (and thus where a remnant would be found).  But he couldn't possibly have mistaken a kidney for an ovary and removed it!  So it must be congenital.  I guess unless it was a deformed, little shriveled kidney.  Anyway, that poor dog - something so simple as a spay requiring three surgeries.  At least that's behind her now and she can be her proper lab self.

I wish the white cat's owners had done the blood tests, since Dr. Jeff offers it for only $65 (!!); the cat was found as an adult, so has a completely unknown history.  The first thing I do after they settle in is get complete blood work, urinalysis, and abdominal and chest x-rays so I have a baseline.  So I wish they'd done the basic blood tests (and that they knew consistent regurgitation means you need to feed less at a time), but I'm glad she has a home with a kid she loves.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

When I heard the blood work would be only $65, I was glad I wasn’t drinking a beverage because I would have done a spit take! 😳

Yeah, I wouldn't have hesitated to have the bloodwork done. That poor cat could have unknown issues from living on the streets that they could reconcile sooner rather than later.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

Kino's situation is so weird!  If she was born with only one kidney, how did neither of the two vets who spayed her notice that, especially the second one, who'd be using it as a guidepost to find the area where the ovary would have been (and thus where a remnant would be found).  But he couldn't possibly have mistaken a kidney for an ovary and removed it!  So it must be congenital.  I guess unless it was a deformed, little shriveled kidney.  Anyway, that poor dog - something so simple as a spay requiring three surgeries.  At least that's behind her now and she can be her proper lab self.

The look on Mel's face when the guy says the dog has had been spayed twice and was in for a third go. I'd never heard of an ovary remnant before, but I guess it happens. They were talking around it, but I think the take away is the dog may have had a deformed kidney that vet #2 took by mistake looking for the ovary remnant. They were not accusing the second vet of making a mistake, but it was a logical explanation. We hear of the mistakes human doctors make, so I'm sure the same thing happens in vet practices.

At least the dog is happy and healthy now.

I gather the family that took in the stray was going to try the food method of splitting up the meals, to stop the snarf and barf first and then if that didn't work blood work. Though if I could afford it I would've done the blood work for a new pet. We didn't with our dogs, as their prior owner had all of their vet records (they were surrenders because they're owner went into assisted living and couldn't keep them), but my cat who was a stray found wandering the streets of Roswell, NM, we did a full work up when we adopted him, learning he has a kink in his spine and then had to make a decision if we wanted to deal with a special needs kitty (I was crazy enough and said yes. His file despite being massive and held together with binder clips instead of staples (so its hard to lose) goes missing because the vets are reading it like a case study on urinary issues).

I wonder how the sphynx kitty in its hoodie, handled its owner's trip to India? If it was already having issues with the guy moving in. And how many of the cat's psychological issues came from being treated like a baby vs like a cat.

Also enjoyed the recap/question episode that followed it.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Is this season over already?

Yes, that's why they aired the Q&A program last week - they often wrap up a season with some sort of look-back episode.  Tonight there's a bunch of zoo crap, but then we start back up with Pit Bulls & Parolees (I think a compilation episode and then truly new content in January).  Hopefully The Vet Life after that, but I can't remember what order the rotation usually goes in, and they don't always stick to it anyway.  It probably depends on what shows had enough in the can prior to COVID hitting.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Yes, that's why they aired the Q&A program last week - they often wrap up a season with some sort of look-back episode.  Tonight there's a bunch of zoo crap, but then we start back up with Pit Bulls & Parolees (I think a compilation episode and then truly new content in January).  Hopefully The Vet Life after that, but I can't remember what order the rotation usually goes in, and they don't always stick to it anyway.  It probably depends on what shows had enough in the can prior to COVID hitting.

Thank you Bastet for that info. Not the news I was hoping to hear  but i guess 6? weeks of Dr. Jeff was better than no weeks.

Happy holidays to all of my fellow animal lovers/rescuers here on the forums.

• Love 2

I’m not sure how I missed last season!  Reading about it here. It looks like I have a season to catch up on.  I’m disappointed no more Amanda to the Rescue.  That was a great show.  I wonder why they dropped it.  

Where is my favorite animal vet? I'm in the throes of serious withdrawal symptoms! Is it just me that feels like it's been a very long time since Dr. Jeff has had a new season? I haven't even seen reruns anywhere. 

12 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Where is my favorite animal vet? I'm in the throes of serious withdrawal symptoms! Is it just me that feels like it's been a very long time since Dr. Jeff has had a new season? I haven't even seen reruns anywhere. 

Just the other day, I went Googling to see what I could find out.  There is absolutely no news I could find about a new season of this show, unfortunately.

It seems Animal Planet is really dragging its feet on bringing new episodes.  I know they have been filming Pitbulls and Parolees and they just finished up what seemed to be a very short season of the Crikey show, but for the rest of the shows it is crickets.  I hope they get their stuff together soon.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, blondiek237 said:

New season March 26th!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic!  With it being well over a year without any new episodes, I was beginning to worry (although this show had a big gap between seasons once before, plus COVID, plus AT&T buying Discovery and putting all production on hold, I know - but, still, I was nervous).  I quit watching Dr. Pol a while back for a few reasons that aren't issues on this show, so I really look forward to having a vet show to watch again.  Hopefully they'll follow suit with The Vet Life.

I can't find anything on the show's website or Facebook page about the new season; can you post a link to where you read about it so I can send it to my mom?

• Love 1
22 hours ago, blondiek237 said:

That is where I saw the date

I saw that same date (March 26th) when I Googled for info. However, the search results didn't show a specific year. Just March 26th. I hope it is coming back this month!

It's listed on Titan TV's schedule for 26 March 7 p.m. Central, Season 4 Episode 1, and new.  

(Sorry about that, it's actually season 4, not 3.   It was apparently filmed right after season 3 wrapped). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
26 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

It's listed on Titan TV's schedule for 26 March 7 p.m. Central, Season 3 Episode 1, and new.  

It should be season 8, but yay for new episodes soon. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

If it's Season 3, it isn't new.

I just saw on his Facebook page with recent posts that there will be a new season on March 26, so it will be Season 8.  Yippee!

• Love 2
On 3/14/2022 at 4:09 PM, Bastet said:

Fantastic!  With it being well over a year without any new episodes, I was beginning to worry (although this show had a big gap between seasons once before, plus COVID, plus AT&T buying Discovery and putting all production on hold, I know - but, still, I was nervous).  I quit watching Dr. Pol a while back for a few reasons that aren't issues on this show, so I really look forward to having a vet show to watch again.  Hopefully they'll follow suit with The Vet Life.

I can't find anything on the show's website or Facebook page about the new season; can you post a link to where you read about it so I can send it to my mom?

I ride the bus to and from work and I saw the camera crew filming. My bus is the 44and it passes the vet clinic 

Edited by Rabbittron
  • Love 3

Dr. Jeff marathon is on today (3/26) starting at 6 am PST on Animal Planet.  New episode airs tonight at 8 pm PST (depending on your cable provider). Info shows:

"Dr. Jeff and the team set out to transform an abandoned restaurant in an old mining town into a clinic to serve the mountain community. Dr. Baier treats a sneezing parrot. Dr. Jeff hopes to save a Yorkie's broken ankle from amputation."

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 2

So my only issue, is the show makes it look like you can just walk in and get your pet treated (okay, yes, back in the day, that did happen for my cat, but you walk into any vet and say 'blocked tom' and it works like chest pains in an ER).

You can't really call and get an appointment, you have to go there in person and wait in line to get an appointment.  Sometimes you can get same day, but they're often beyond swamped.

I will say this though, if you have to make the difficult decision to say good-bye to your pet, Dr. Baier is the kindest and makes the process as gentle as it can be. Both of our senior dogs passed during the pandemic and he and the whole staff at PPI were kindness personified.

Be interesting to see what the new clinic in Leadville looks like. And I really want to know what vet clinic was pushing to amputate a not very complex ankle injury, so I can avoid them.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Gwendolyn said:

And I really want to know what vet clinic was pushing to amputate a not very complex ankle injury, so I can avoid them.

Right?  That was ridiculous!

I'm glad to have this show back.  Dr. B telling the bird who hopped up on his head and grabbed some hair "There's not much there to hold onto" was funny.

Nice to see good ol' Fred again.  And Hector.  I didn't see Shelley in any of the scenes.  She's my favorite vet tech - she always gives her patients kisses - so I hope she's still around.

• Love 2

I lost track of time so missed the first few minutes; how did Chaos fall out of a moving car?  And how old was he that he wasn't yet neutered?  He was so cute plopping down in the back of the car and then getting right back up, needing to go cuddle his people.

I'm glad Mufasa just had a minor injury - for his own sake, and his owner's.  Poor woman, recovering from surgery and then her cat disappears and comes home hurt.

Poor Ludo was so sick!  His face was breaking my heart, so it was great to see him so transformed by the time he went home.  I went through something similar long ago with a year-old cat, who was suddenly terribly ill and needed hospitalization including a transfusion.  We never did find out exactly what caused it, and thankfully she lived 15 more years without it ever happening again. 

I love how the woman at the bunny barn knows the names and stories of all those rabbits.  That's a true rescue person.

Dafni is so sweet; it's going to be hard for her to say goodbye to those puppies.  I love her "We can't keep any of the puppies.  Well, maybe one would be okay" and Hector's immediate "Nope, that is not happening" being followed by "Which one are you keeping?" and "I don't want to talk about it" on spay/neuter day, concluding with her "Sucker" at the end -- after they adopted two of them.  Ha!  I was very glad to see in the update that the mom got a home, too; I hate when all the puppies/kittens get adopted, and poor momma is left behind.

• Love 2

Since we didn't see Shelly (head vet tech) in this episode, either, I just checked Planned Pethood's website, and she's not listed in the staff section, so she must have retired or gone to work elsewhere.  I'll miss seeing her on the show; I enjoy how much she loves on the patients.

• Love 2

I know this is somewhat controversial, but weren't those puppies awfully young to be spayed and neutered? Conventional wisdom right now, from what I understand, is that it's best to wait until a year or almost a year, so that they are fully grown and had had the benefits of the hormones on their bones and muscles.  But weren't they cuties?!