Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Jeff, Rocky Mountain Vet - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/3/2017 at 0:39 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I think that  Dr. Jeff is very generous by  providing low cost care for serious illnesses and injuries.  I do think that pet owners should be able to provide and pay for basic care though.

I like Dr. Jeff and Petra.  I think they make an amusing couple.  Did I understand that she was a student when they met?  Did she intern with him?  She seems to be quite a bit younger than he is.  I find him quite sexy and attractive.  lol I know.  It's kind of hard to believe.  Just something about him.  

Yeah...you're not alone in the "Dr Jeff is HOT" club! Lol.

• Love 4

Thank goodness.  What in the hey is up with Animal Planet channel? They have been airing some shows that are not animal friendly, imo.  I can't stand shows that try to portray a wild animal as a monster, for being a wild animal.  They need to secure more legitimate programming like Dr. Jeff. 

• Love 1

Yay! Dr. Jeff is back! ? That was the cutest chihuahua I think I’ve seen. Sweet how she became the disable son’s companion. Juneau the husky was gorgeous (they were all adorbs) with the dark markings around her eyes. Almost like spectacles. Like Dr. Jeff B’s beard. Yeah, “cute” is the perfect word for a tiny owl.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Yay! Dr. Jeff is back! ? That was the cutest chihuahua I think I’ve seen. Sweet how she became the disable son’s companion. Juneau the husky was gorgeous (they were all adorbs) with the dark markings around her eyes. Almost like spectacles. Like Dr. Jeff B’s beard. Yeah, “cute” is the perfect word for a tiny owl.

Yes, indeedy.  Dr. Jeff makes me happy, happy, happy.  Floved it all, but the owlet was exceptionally cute, and fixing feral cats and puppy mill huskies MADE my week.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Like Dr. Jeff B’s beard.

Yes indeed!  He looked cute.  I like when they go to various rescues/sanctuaries.

LOVE the wee owl.  I can't get enough of tiny owls.

Husky pups were so pretty. 

• Love 4
On 6/10/2018 at 8:08 AM, raven said:

I can't get enough of tiny owls.

I'm fairly certain I've told this story before (perhaps too often), but when I was heavily involved in wild bird rescue, my mentor stashed some baby barn owls in her bathtub.  Long story short - when I took a pee break they all rocked back on their heels and hissed at me. Whilst giving me the snakey-head side eye.  They were fugly enough to be too damned cute.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 6/9/2018 at 10:21 PM, LittleIggy said:

Finally watched last week's episode tonight (working nights sure plays havoc on keeping up). Agreed with everything you said... but what really struck me was the horror of 13 healthy, beautifil, husky pups almost put down when puppy mill saw profit margin go down. ??? really, too old at two months to sell, so just put them down ?

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 3

Slash (hate that name!) was so adorable. I can see why the staff fell in love with him. Winter’s wound was scary looking. Glad she was okay. I hope the owners make sure she doesn’t get out again.

• Love 4
(edited)

Loved Jeff's sweet new doggie! I sincerely hope the owners who wanted to euthanize her never get another pet. It's a commitment, not a whim!

I wonder if Jeff still has the dog they saved during one of their road trips a year or so ago? She had been hit by a car and they found her on the side of the road. Lucy, I want to say? She had such a trusting and undemanding temperament and Jeff ended up keeping her.

It was nice to see Dr. Don and Dr. Amy again.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 5

I really enjoy this show.  I do question the pet owners decisions from time to time.  I thought that in the end when they were discussing Winter's recovery, the pet owner commented about her having 9 lives.  To me, I wouldn't push it. Did that mean she's almost been killed before or that they thought she had more lives left?    A better approach, might be to keep the cat inside or supervised outside with leash and not just let her roam.  Maybe, I took her comment the wrong way.  

I guess that area is more prone for pet owners to allow their pets to roam free, since, they seem to get a good number who just went out, disappeared, didn't come home for days, etc. and returned sick or injured.  As a vet, I bet it is frustrating to see that happening repeatedly, by pet owners who claim their pet means everything to them. 

• Love 6

What is it with dogs eating the weirdest things? Giant ball bearings! ? I guessed they were ball bearings when Emmett’s dad said he was a motorcycle mechanic. Bet Emmett did feel peppier after those were removed. That bunny was so cute. So was Loki.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

What is it with dogs eating the weirdest things? Giant ball bearings! ? I guessed they were ball bearings when Emmett’s dad said he was a motorcycle mechanic. Bet Emmett did feel peppier after those were removed. That bunny was so cute. So was Loki.

You forgot to mention mustangs ? loved how mom and sister came to check out the patient - than momma says don't bother your little brother?

• Love 4

I’m glad to see that Dr Rachel is back, although an earlier post said she was now working at Parker Animal Hospital. Maybe she still works at PPP part time or as a volunteer. Or she could have been contracted just for the show. Or perhaps her Linkedin page simply isn't accurate.

• Love 4
On 6/24/2018 at 9:02 PM, SyracuseMug said:

I’m glad to see that Dr Rachel is back, although an earlier post said she was now working at Parker Animal Hospital. Maybe she still works at PPP part time or as a volunteer. Or she could have been contracted just for the show. Or perhaps her Linkedin page simply isn't accurate.

I was glad to see her too.  I have missed Dr. Rachel.

• Love 2

I just want to dive in and live forever in the world of Dr. Jeff and the compassion, love, dedication, humanity and selflessness that envelops all the animals (and people) he encounters.

• Love 7

Need to smack Bobo’s mom upside the head. If any of my cats had an injury like that, I would take them to the vet pronto. Waiting just caused the cat to suffer and made the treatment more expensive.

Juicy Fruit was the sweetest thing. I’m with Dr. Jeff. The abusers need to be prosecuted. Glad that sweet doggie got a loving home.

• Love 9

I think I'd get frustrated working in that environment.  When people are so over the top about how they love their pet and then their actions don't match up....I resent it. 

I also am suspicious when they make a comment like, that animal will get adopted quickly. (The little puppy Butterscotch) He's so cute....well, getting a fast pet adoption might not be that great. It's a big decision and a lot of people don't fully appreciate the time, money, energy and commitment that a pet entails.  Notice Dr. Jeff's facility is named PLANNED Pethood.  lol  It should be planned and done after a lot of consideration, imo.  Thankfully, it looked as if Butterscotch got a great home.)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Juicy Fruit was the sweetest thing. I’m with Dr. Jeff. The abusers need to be prosecuted. Glad that sweet doggie got a loving home.

Juicy Fruit was so sweet and calm ... when she was sick! She turned back into a bouncy frisky puppy once she got to feeling better. I'm glad the folks who fostered her were able to live with her for a while and see all sides of her personality before making the decision to adopt.

Dr. Jeff has spoken before about setting up payment plans when people can't afford care and I wondered why that wasn't offered to Bobo's owner. Or maybe we just didn't see it. I suspect that dingaling owner didn't even try to clean out the wound while crossing her fingers and hoping it would heal on its own.

The "pinch and seal" surgical technique was interesting.

Dr. Amy teaching her cat to high five = the cutest! I'm not sure having two qualifies as crazy, right @walnutqueen?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think I'd get frustrated working in that environment.  When people are so over the top about how they love their pet and then their actions don't match up....I resent it. 

I also am suspicious when they make a comment like, that animal will get adopted quickly. (The little puppy Butterscotch) He's so cute....well, getting a fast pet adoption might not be that great. It's a big decision and a lot of people don't fully appreciate the time, money, energy and commitment that a pet entails.  Notice Dr. Jeff's facility is named PLANNED Pethood.  lol  It should be planned and done after a lot of consideration, imo.  Thankfully, it looked as if Butterscotch got a great home.)

Not only is it frustrating, it made me despise alot of pet owners during my many years working in veterinary clinics. But I did my best to negate the ahole owners and focus on the kind pet owners. I worked at a vet clinic nearby the El Toro marine base in Tusin Ca. (the marine base has been closed now for many years) Lots of military folks being relocated brought their pet(s) in to be euthanized because they couldn't take them to their new location. There was one young marine who brought his cat in and was diagnosed with feline leukemia. He loved that cat to the core of his heart but didn't have the money to do the necessary treatments to help his cat get better. I went in the exam room and told him I would pay for his cat's vet bills to do what was needed. Of course we had to keep this on the downlow, but he was so grateful. I have no idea what happened to his cat or him. But my point is that sometimes, in order to keep your sanity, you have to focus on the good. The bad endings will always, unfortunately be there. So I just try to put my energy into the love of pet owners who care and not the pet owners who don't deserve to have a pet. 

• Love 9

Bless you Chenoa333 for your kindness.  Actually, witnessing the neglect of the pets must really get to you over time. 

I think that I disagree with Dr. Jeff on the issue of how anyone should have the right to own a pet, even people who live in cardboard boxes with no money for their own food, let alone a pet. To me, that's just irresponsible and a disservice to the pet.

Maybe, I'm fanatical, but, I think that all pet owners should have to attend a class of some sort on the responsibilities of pet ownership, guidelines on pet care and grooming and laws regarding pets in your community.  And then, register the pet to ensure proper rabies vaccination. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Juicy Fruit was so sweet and calm ... when she was sick! She turned back into a bouncy frisky puppy once she got to feeling better. I'm glad the folks who fostered her were able to live with her for a while and see all sides of her personality before making the decision to adopt.

Dr. Jeff has spoken before about setting up payment plans when people can't afford care and I wondered why that wasn't offered to Bobo's owner. Or maybe we just didn't see it. I suspect that dingaling owner didn't even try to clean out the wound while crossing her fingers and hoping it would heal on its own.

Dr. Amy teaching her cat to high five = the cutest! I'm not sure having two qualifies as crazy, right @walnutqueen?

It looked like they were about to offer Bobo's owner some sort of plan when she explained that her mother was paying for her. Meanwhile, is it awful for me to say that she probably should have stopped at Planned Parenthood a long time ago as well? She has that little money in the bank and is about to have a baby???? I know there is a fiance, but that wasn't what helped her with the vet bill.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Bless you Chenoa333 for your kindness.  Actually, witnessing the neglect of the pets must really get to you over time. 

I think that I disagree with Dr. Jeff on the issue of how anyone should have the right to own a pet, even people who live in cardboard boxes with no money for their own food, let alone a pet. To me, that's just irresponsible and a disservice to the pet.

Maybe, I'm fanatical, but, I think that all pet owners should have to attend a class of some sort on the responsibilities of pet ownership guidelines on pet care and grooming and laws regarding pets in your community.  And then, register the pet to ensure proper rabies vaccination. 

Fanatical is good when it comes to pet ownership. Sadly, if people were required (by law perhaps) to meet certain very strict criteria, less pets would be adopted because most people can't deal with being held accountable.....for anything. The problem obviously is with the people adopting, NOT the pets being adopted. 

However, the warriors who continue to fight in animal rescue/welfare will always be fighting forever. And thankfully, so many people around the globe are getting involved in this....from wild animals to domestics to saving research animals, factory farm animals. I know I won't live to see the day that animal abuse is non-existent but I will continue to do my part for the rest of my life!

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Maybe, I'm fanatical, but, I think that all pet owners should have to attend a class of some sort on the responsibilities of pet ownership, guidelines on pet care and grooming and laws regarding pets in your community.  And then, register the pet to ensure proper rabies vaccination. 

Well, all would-be parents of human children should have to take classes!

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Well, all would-be parents of human children should have to take classes!

Amen.  Don't get me started.  lol  It's ironic, but, from I see, it's often those who provide slack care with their kids, who do about the same or worse with the pets.  

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/1/2018 at 11:10 AM, 2727 said:

That case just baffled me. Why the hell would the owners bother to have the surgery to put the pins in the freeking broken leg, then failed to bring the dog in for bandage changes and follow up care... thank goodness I don't have smell-o-vision, as the smell must have been more than obvious as everyone complained of it.

Yep, remember the homeless guy who was paying a few bucks at a tine for his dog - think with a broken leg... as Dr said, cat bites get infected more often than not - and often seem to swell up over night, so not kind of wound to ignore

Yep

Knew there was a reason I liked her ? but, you're right, 2 hardly qualifies you as a crazy cat person.... says the guy who just made appointments for spay of #6, a friendly tuxedo kitten who, I fear, was dumped here recently.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Need to smack Bobo’s mom upside the head. If any of my cats had an injury like that, I would take them to the vet pronto. Waiting just caused the cat to suffer and made the treatment more expensive.

That's my instinctive reaction, too (and to wonder what the hell she's doing having a baby right now), but the woman had $86 in the bank and was over a week from payday.  She waited until her day off to bring him in, so she presumably does not have paid time off.  If she didn't know that the wound was almost certainly going to get infected and abscess (yes, she should, because it's Cats 101, but she'd be far from alone in not), I'm not surprised it played out as it did.  She cleaned it up, went about her life, saw it wasn't healing/he wasn't feeling well, and took him in the first day she had off work.  She found out it now needed to be stitched, and said, okay, I'll find a way to pay for it.  Mom stepped in.  I can't look at someone like Juicy Fruit's owners and jump up and down all over Bobo's. 

I watched the late-night airing and fell asleep a few minutes before it ended.  I saw that Juicy Fruit's foster home was going to become her permanent home, that Bobo and the kidney stones patients were fine, but didn't see the at-home updates close out the show - anything particularly cute?

• Love 2
On 7/1/2018 at 2:10 PM, Bastet said:

I can't look at someone like Juicy Fruit's owners and jump up and down all over Bobo's. 

Yup, my mild annoyance at Bobo's owner disappeared in my haze of rage at Juicy Fruit's.  That poor sweet dog!  Plus she was so skinny.   I'm with Dr. Jeff; people should be able to be prosecuted for that.   The adoption manager was practically in tears when she brought her in.  I'm glad Juicy Fruit ended up with people who love her.

Bobo's owner crossed her fingers and hoped for the best - would I have done it, no, but I understand it.   It's a good point @Bastet that she had to wait until her day off so she probably doesn't get paid.  I am glad it worked out.

Lola was cute as a button.   I just wanted to smooch that face.

I like Dr. Amy but I laughed when she called herself "crazy cat lady" Um, no, not with just two.   I have a friend who lived with her parents and they have cats.  My friend domesticated a cat found wandering at her boyfriend's - the cat lived with the boyfriend and when the BF traveled for work, my friend would take care of the cat.   Well they broke up and, though BF loved the cat, he knew he had to travel so my friend took the cat to her house.  The cats NEVER got along, even living on separate floors (I'm not gong to detail everything they tried, her parents are big pet lovers and have had cats for years) and my friend ended up getting her own place with the ex-BF's cat.  I told her she was the only person I knew who got an apartment for her cat, LOL. 

- anything particularly cute?

Lola and Juicy Fruit playing at home was pretty cute; we see Juicy Fruit snuggling on the couch with her new owners.  Bobo's owner and her fiance got their own place and Bobo is now the only cat; we see him chilling out.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have several friends who each have anywhere from 4 - 6 rescue dogs they've adopted. I always refer to them as the "crazy dog ladies"! Lol. (Well one of the owners is a guy)so I guess to be politically correct, I should call all of them "crazy dog people")

Loved the episode with the turtles and the alligator. 

❤ Dr. J and his dedicated staff. Wish I lived in Colorado. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Poor Moana the kitty trying to walk with that huge cast was comical.

It was amusing, as was Moana being royally pissed about it, but the thought of her perhaps being outside for a week with a displaced hip and broken leg, in too much pain to crawl home is heartbreaking to think about. At least now she's spayed and the owners promised to keep her indoors.

• Love 6
On 7/8/2018 at 12:19 PM, nitrofishblue said:

I thought that was interesting what he does to unaltered cats/dogs. Regardless what reason the animal was brought to the clinic, it MUST be altered before leaving!!!

That has always been one of my favorite things about Planned Pethood, and every time I watch Dr. Pol and staff (on The Incredible Dr. Pol, a vet show on Nat Geo Wild) treat the poor cats/dogs in a labor that isn't going well, I wish they'd pull a Dr. Jeff and tell those damn breeders, yep, I'll do my best to save everyone - and then I'm spaying this poor girl.

Moana's reaction to that shoulder splint was funny.  Poor cat; I wonder what on earth she got into.  Maybe got her leg caught in something.  It's sad it took her a week to get back home, but at least she did and now she's all fixed up.

Zebras in Colorado?

• Love 7
On 7/9/2018 at 5:08 PM, Bastet said:

That has always been one of my favorite things about Planned Pethood, and every time I watch Dr. Pol and staff (on The Incredible Dr. Pol, a vet show on Nat Geo Wild) treat the poor cats/dogs in a labor that isn't going well, I wish they'd pull a Dr. Jeff and tell those damn breeders, yep, I'll do my best to save everyone - and then I'm spaying this poor girl.

Moana's reaction to that shoulder splint was funny.  Poor cat; I wonder what on earth she got into.  Maybe got her leg caught in something.  It's sad it took her a week to get back home, but at least she did and now she's all fixed up.

Zebras in Colorado?

Yes and a lot of the rescues in Colorado has  very exotic animals.  Don't get me wrong but doctor Jeff does a lot of good for the homeless population in the Denver metro area that has pets he treats them either free or very low-cost. I don't like one of his rules I have a Burmese who has a very long pedigree that I am planning to breed don't worry I already have pre-sold the kittens when I breed her next year. I went the doctor Jeff when I got her because I heard great things about him and also the fact is the Walmart I like to go to it's right across the street so I got her  shots and he told me that I have to spay her because he will only treat animals after the first visit if they're spayed or neutered he will do it he doesn't care if it's a show animal or a ferral animal all that must be spayed or neutered. If you go on the Colorado license search you can look him up and see he has a few sanctions against him.

2 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Yes and a lot of the rescues in Colorado has  very exotic animals.  Don't get me wrong but doctor Jeff does a lot of good for the homeless population in the Denver metro area that has pets he treats them either free or very low-cost. I don't like one of his rules I have a Burmese who has a very long pedigree that I am planning to breed don't worry I already have pre-sold the kittens when I breed her next year. I went the doctor Jeff when I got her because I heard great things about him and also the fact is the Walmart I like to go to it's right across the street so I got her  shots and he told me that I have to spay her because he will only treat animals after the first visit if they're spayed or neutered he will do it he doesn't care if it's a show animal or a ferral animal all that must be spayed or neutered. If you go on the Colorado license search you can look him up and see he has a few sanctions against him.

He treats animals at a low cost--if you don't want your animals "fixed" then go to a full cost vet.  Every state needs a vet with as much compassion as Jeff.  He is in it for the love of animals not money.  

• Love 12
44 minutes ago, blondiek237 said:

He treats animals at a low cost--if you don't want your animals "fixed" then go to a full cost vet.  Every state needs a vet with as much compassion as Jeff.  He is in it for the love of animals not money.  

Sorry but he forces you to spay and neuter or get out.

55 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Sorry but he forces you to spay and neuter or get out.

"Planned Pethood" should be a tip-off, the first thing on the clinic's website is its mission statement ("The reduction of companion animal overpopulation throughout the world”), and the existence of the show further publicizes the policy.  There is a pet overpopulation crisis in this country, leading to several million adoptable pets being euthanized in U.S. shelters each year simply because there are that many more of them than there are homes for them.  He's doing what he can to make a dent in that, and those who don't agree with the policy do have numerous other options.

I assume including the policy in most episodes (and showcasing the spay/neuter clinics they provide in impoverished areas) was a stipulation of agreeing to the show, but I'd have to go through interviews to confirm that.  But with his goal being two-fold -- increased revenue for the clinic and education on the overpopulation issue -- I think it's a pretty safe bet.

• Love 11
(edited)

I looked up Dr. Jeff's Veterinary Board actions:

Case in 2015: Surgery was started on the wrong leg of a dog. The incision was closed and the operation proceeded on the correct leg. The clinic records did not document any preoperative exam. An admonishment was issued and a fine of $1500.

Case in 2012: Failure to offer histopathology of abnormal tissue before amputation of a dog's leg. Fined $500 and a new conditional license was issued.

Case in 2011: Clinic staff refused to provide a copy of a prescription to a client, and the clinic allowed a vet from a foreign county who was not licensed in Colorado to perform spay/neuter procedures. A letter of admonition was issued.

Case in 2012:  Admonished for failure to perform or document an adequate physical exam and to offer adequate diagnostic and therapeutic options. (This is a different form and it's not clear if it's regarding the same amputation error from 2012, but it is a different case number.)

Edited by 2727
(edited)

New episode I'm watching right now. Only 20 minutes in and I am hoping for happy outcomes for the kitten that is in pain from unknown cause, the little dog that got kicked in the head by a donkey and the cute little pet rats.

This world needs more Dr. Jeffs and veterinary professionals like the ones he has working with him!

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 6

I love ratties. I had one named Sméagol 6 years ago when I was in grad school in Vermont. I have to have a pet so I got a rat since the landlord wouldn’t allow dogs and cats. Sméagol was a sweetie.

Glad all the animals had good outcomes. I watched a bunch of Dr. Pol episodes today and three involved people having to have their beloved pets put down. I was a wreck after that!

• Love 4
On 7/12/2018 at 2:11 PM, Bastet said:

"Planned Pethood" should be a tip-off, the first thing on the clinic's website is its mission statement ("The reduction of companion animal overpopulation throughout the world”), and the existence of the show further publicizes the policy.  There is a pet overpopulation crisis in this country, leading to several million adoptable pets being euthanized in U.S. shelters each year simply because there are that many more of them than there are homes for them.  He's doing what he can to make a dent in that, and those who don't agree with the policy do have numerous other options.

I assume including the policy in most episodes (and showcasing the spay/neuter clinics they provide in impoverished areas) was a stipulation of agreeing to the show, but I'd have to go through interviews to confirm that.  But with his goal being two-fold -- increased revenue for the clinic and education on the overpopulation issue -- I think it's a pretty safe bet.

The spay and neuter is not only for the TV show if you want to be a patient of his you must have your pets spayed and neutered you have no choice in the matter.

• Love 2