Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Jeff, Rocky Mountain Vet - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Aw, Hook's mom, doing the right thing but so sad about it .  It also looked like she had her hair and makeup done for TV :)  I hope she feels better knowing he is happier.

I loved Dr Jeff bonding with that sweet dog Daphne.   The various bone surgeries with the pins and everything were so interesting. 

• Love 3

I got teary right along with Hook's mom, too, but good on her for doing right by him.  I'm not a proponent of zoos, but the wild wasn't an option, a cage wasn't a good option, so -- zoo it is.  That was one huge opossum; I have them in my yard at night (some have lived in my woodpile over the years, including one I named - Mickey - for her/his oversized ears), and they are about half Hook's size!  I've seen "my" opossum's claws, but never their teeth; I didn't realize they were so big.

I watched this episode with my mom, and when Dr. Jeff was trying to get Daphne to use her leg, I told my mom, "This reminds me of trying to get you to sit with your knee in the right position [after her knee replacement surgeries]."

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I think Dr. Jeff B. noted that Hook was getting overfed. Wild possums have a lean and hungry look because they scramble for their victuals!

Yep, that in the wild he'd have spent much of his time hunting for prey, so being fed dog food and treats with no work was what led to his crazy size.  So when they showed him at the zoo, performing for treats, I groaned.  I hope he has a very large enclosure and spends only a small percentage of his time being trotted out for the public so that in time he can get back down to a healthy size.

• Love 2
On 10/21/2017 at 8:36 PM, LittleIggy said:

I petted a possum named Ophelia at a nature center in Memphis a few years ago. She was so soft and sweet. Hook reminded me of my big flame Siamese Baelish who always has a worried look on his face. I cried along with Hook’s mom. She loved him but did what was best for him. 

We had a client at one of the vet hospitals I worked at in the late 1980's who boarded a blind opossum occasionally. She found the opossum abandoned when it was just a baby. But the opossum was so sweet. So many people hate them because they think think they're ugly or dangerous because of their teeth. I hate ignorant people!

• Love 2

Another heartwarming episode with Dr. Jeff et al doing good deeds down in Mexico.  I was so impressed that 20 vets from all over the world came to work and learn, and that Jeff has set up a training facility.  His legacy will live on, and it is a great one.

• Love 6
On 10/8/2017 at 9:42 AM, walnutqueen said:

That is SO cool, LittleIggy!  :-)

I was crying tears of sorrow for those poor dogs and tears of rage that puppy mills even exist.  Animal abusers (and puppy mill owners are the apex of that shitpile)  are at the top of my "kill if I'm dying" list.

I'm glad Dr. Jeff mentioned that every animal rescue group should spay and neuter pets before adopting them out.

I love the "kill if I'm dying" list! So much more worthwhile than a selfish "bucket"list! 

And just an FYI to all the dog lovers (I'm one of them) there are also kitten mills that are every bit as common, disgusting, and deplorable as puppy mills. Most people are dog lovers so therefore no publicity....from Oprah to  the sad Humane Society commercial...all dogs and maybe a kitten in the ad. but animal abuse is animal abuse, whether it's cats, dogs, horses, rabbits. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I love the "kill if I'm dying" list! So much more worthwhile than a selfish "bucket"list! 

And just an FYI to all the dog lovers (I'm one of them) there are also kitten mills that are every bit as common, disgusting, and deplorable as puppy mills. Most people are dog lovers so therefore no publicity....from Oprah to  the sad Humane Society commercial...all dogs and maybe a kitten in the ad. but animal abuse is animal abuse, whether it's cats, dogs, horses, rabbits. 

May as well provide a service to humanity on my way out, eh!  ;-)

As an aside, that concept started on a forum here about the murder of Betsy Faria, and someone lamented that Pam Hupp probably got away with it, but "karma would get her in the end".  I said the bitch better hope I'm never diagnosed with a terminal disease, lest I get my affairs in order, change my name to "Karma", and hunt her down.  The more I thought about it, the longer my list became, so I had to refine my avenging almost-angel tendencies to people even worse than murderers (in my book); i.e. animal abusers.  And child abusers, if I have a really prolonged diagnosis.  A crone needs her fantasies.  :-)

As a confirmed cat lady, and lover of all animals, it saddens me to see so much emphasis being placed on the plight of dogs.  Cats, horses, birds and virtually all animals suffer the same neglect and abuse - it is shocking and unbearable to realize how little is being done to protect them.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

You're f'n awesome WalnutQueen! ❤

No, that would be all my critters.  I'm just their food & care facilitator, with a sometimes fertile imagination.  ;-)

ETA: Dr. Jeff is fucking awesome.

Edited by walnutqueen
not enough superlatives to describe Dr. Jeff
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

No, that would be all my critters.  I'm just their food & care facilitator, with a sometimes fertile imagination.  ;-)

ETA: Dr. Jeff is fucking awesome.

Indeed, he is. WHY is he such an oddity in the world of veterinarians? 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, chenoa333 said:

Indeed, he is. WHY is he such an oddity in the world of veterinarians? 

I don't know.  But it does seem like the many vets he mentors and teaches have absorbed at least some of his ethics, and that is perhaps his greatest legacy.

• Love 3

Jeez I just started watching this and the siblings who brought in the dog with the huge tumor broke my heart.  "She's the only one who's happy to see us when we get home:" :(

On 10/29/2017 at 6:50 PM, walnutqueen said:

His legacy will live on, and it is a great one.

He is making a real difference in the world; so committed to what he does and spreading the word.  He also must be a great businessman since he can do so much pro bono work.  It gives me some faith in people.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, raven said:

Jeez I just started watching this and the siblings who brought in the dog with the huge tumor broke my heart.  "She's the only one who's happy to see us when we get home:" :(

That part made me cry so damned hard I had to hit the pause button to blow my nose.  Heart-wrenching.

• Love 1

Do ferrets usually make good pets for small children? 

Copper was such a cutie. I think hydrotherapy would be good for his leg. 

I’m glad sweet Babette got a home. With her big green eyes, she reminded me of my tabby Neela.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Do ferrets usually make good pets for small children? 

14 Things to Consider Before Buying a Ferret

Many prospective ferret owners are naturally concerned about how well a ferret would get along with their children or other pets.  A ferret is a demanding pet for a child, requiring careful adult supervision and the maturity of the child.  The child must be able to recognize that a ferret behaves differently from a dog, cat, or other pet.

After reading the above article, ferrets are essentially wild creatures and are high maintenance.

• Love 1
On 10/16/2017 at 10:04 AM, iluvobx said:

Did anyone notice the segment with Creepy?  When they brought Creepy in, the couple had 2 children with them, one looked to be an infant, yet, at the end for the update, that child was missing and she was pregnant.

On 10/16/2017 at 11:43 AM, Bastet said:

I noticed the pregnancy in the update at the end, and that the younger kid from the segment wasn't there, but I thought that missing kid was older than an infant during that segment.  Now I wish I had it recorded so I could go back and look.

Quoting our old conversation to say this episode aired again tonight, and the youngest kid that was present during the footage of Creepy's vet visit (with no "baby bump" visible on the female owner in what she's wearing) but missing from the update footage when the female owner was obviously pregnant is significantly older than an infant.  I'm terrible with kid ages, but that kid is unequivocally more toddler than infant.  So that he's missing in the update seems to simply be a function of him being unavailable (sick, throwing a fit, at his grandparents' house, whatever) at the time they filmed it - by which point the owner's pregnancy is visible - rather than any timeline editing shenanigans.  The only oddity is that the owner speaks about the older kid, by name, only when talking about the lesson this imparts, rather than saying "the kids," but maybe she figures the younger one is so young he won't get any of this.

I didn't know there was a forum for this show. I came looking for Cat vs Dog, Jackson Galaxy's new show, but I actually have more things to say here...

I think Petra is likely far and away the best surgeon there. Jeff is always asking for her "small hands" in helping with placing a bone. I don't think it's necessarily the "small" he wants; it's the uber-capable hands. I wonder why she doesn't meet with human clients. She seems like she might not have very much interest in people, as compared to animals. I loved when Jeff said that they were living above the vet's office and sometimes Petra would be hanging with a cat or dog until 2 or 3 am. She is awesome.

And I'm pretty sure that vet with the man bun wasn't really operating on the black dog with the shattered leg. When Jeff is operating on the Pitbull with the mango seed, there are several background scenes of Petra working on the front half of a black dog about the same size as the dog with the shattered leg. I think the Man Bun was there just to make a narrative. BTW, the Man Bun guy has the worst bedside manner with human owners EVER. It was disgraceful to watch him slouch in a corner of the examining room and sort of mumble to the owners of the black dog--who had come like 1,000 miles--that the dog was doing well, but that they'd have to wait and see. There was no eye contact..if I was the owner, I would NOT drive the dog back to KC without speaking to a responsible, articulate professional, because this guy? Does not inspire confidence.

And this criticism is not just directed at the Man Bun, but that dog was not using its leg. Judging by the picture they drew on the white board and the x-ray, that dog's leg wasn't broken, it was shattered. I've not seen a leg that bad on this show. And the dog looked like he was in so much pain when he got there! I really don't think it was the right decision to drive him to PPP. Just amputate locally...not my call. Oh well.

This is the third instance I can think of just recently on this show where a dog has its leg operated on, and they say the dog is fine, but it's clearly not fine. The first was Daphne from the Indian reservation. Then there was last week with the Bloodhound puppy. And now there is this week with the black dog. Notice we never got a more recent update on the black dog? I suspect it's because there was no good news to share...

I really like the other Dr Jeff. I think his bedside manner with humans is terrific. He is very kind. I love that they go to these other farms to help out. I just hope this ostrich farm was ethical. I know nothing about birds--nothing--but did that neck laceration not look fresh? It looked purple, not red. I got a bit of a Yankee Circus vibe off this farm, but Jeff didn't seem concerned, so what do I know?

I am like everyone else in that I think it's so admirable and worthwhile for the practice to put such a high premium on neutering. I also think it's great to involve the high school students (as long as it's voluntary on their part). I also think there is a special type of ignorant viscousness that allows someone to choose not to neuter their animal because they don't want it to lose its "manhood" or some other bullshit. I too have no idea why an adoption agency would release an animal to a new home without fixing the animal first...it's like being penny wise and a pound foolish, and I would look into those agencies.

At the same time, I think Dr Jeff almost takes too much responsibility off of the owner. He said something last night to the effect that many people "don't have the hundred or hundred and fifty dollars" to spay or neuter their animal. Well... why is that? If someone is going to elect to adopt an animal in the USA, they should be willing and able to drop some money on it when the need arises. If the animal needs special food, or medicine, or a trainer for a behavioral problem, the onus is on the owner to make that happen, I would think. Anything Dr Jeff does to help ease this burden is terrific, but I do feel like it's time better spent when they go to a part of Mexico where the people absolutely cannot afford any veterinary treatment. In the US, I do worry about what economists call the "free rider" problem. For example, that quirky older man with the white beard and the really cute Siamese (?) cat presented as someone who could have afforded to fix his animal for the full cost of $150. Maybe he couldn't afford it. I don't know for sure. I just feel like there is a warning flag there if someone adopts an animal, but then can't afford to get it neutered or spayed. Is this person in the best financial situation to be adopting an animal?  What if the animal was just found, and the finder decides to keep it, as opposed to someone who goes out of their way to adopt an animal? Does the former group have different ethical responsibilities than the latter? I tend to think so, but it's something I grapple with...tough questions. No easy answers.

Welcome @N. Bluth!

I agree that Dr. Petra is very, very good in surgery and doesn't seem like she wants to be on camera too much.  However, when she really gets into explaining what she is doing, she is very thorough.   I also think Dr. Man Bun probably is uncomfortable on camera as well.

I'm of two minds with the amputations - my dog's leg was amputated a year ago and I was told that it was shattered beyond repair.  If the vet had provided an option to try to save it, I honestly don't know what I would have done.   The surgery to repair rather than amputate takes longer and is more expensive, yet Dr. Jeff's team seems to try to save the leg more often - or of course this could just be that the show wants us to see those dramatic recoveries.  For me personally, despite the vet's assurances, I was horrified at the thought of amputation and felt like I was mutilating my dog.  One year later, she bounces around just fine on three legs.   She also had cancer in the leg so amputating gave her a better chance of beating it, so my circumstances were different than what we've seen.   So I can see both sides, and it's a difficult decision to make.  Would I have driven her extra distance to save her leg?  Maybe, but only if she was comfortable.  I did drive her over 3 hrs to reach the orthopedic vet's, but she was drugged up and comfortable.

I agree that any responsible rescue should only adopt out animals that are spayed or neutered.  

1 hour ago, N. Bluth said:

In the US, I do worry about what economists call the "free rider" problem.

I don't know about this - there's really no way for Dr. Jeff and staff to make this call while running their discounted clinic, so I think it is worth it, for every person with means who slips in, so many more who truly need the service are taken care of.  Dr. Jeff usually makes a statement about how others charge so much more than he does.  A vet's office is a business, I can't begrudge that (not saying you do, just thinking out loud) but having had to make a very expensive decision a year ago, one I never expected to make - I don't know.  There are places in my area that do run low cost spay/neuter and vaccination specials.  The owner should be able to provide the basics but with so many unwanted animals, I am always happy to see that that the pet is loved and the owner is trying.  Sometimes that's the best that can be done.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, raven said:

The owner should be able to provide the basics but with so many unwanted animals, I am always happy to see that that the pet is loved and the owner is trying.  Sometimes that's the best that can be done.

I have to agree with this.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, iluvobx said:

It is Dr. Rachel Nichols that I have not seen this season.  I really liked Dr. Nichols.  Is she still with PPP?

No, someone reported up thread where she'd move on to.

20 hours ago, N. Bluth said:

And I'm pretty sure that vet with the man bun wasn't really operating on the black dog with the shattered leg.

I've always watched him do surgery and thought, "I would not want him operating on my animal for anything beyond basic surgery," but then in one of the recent episodes (I caught up on three last night, and they're all blurred together) Dr. Jeff said he's one of his best surgeons.  So, go figure.

And this criticism is not just directed at the Man Bun, but that dog was not using its leg. Judging by the picture they drew on the white board and the x-ray, that dog's leg wasn't broken, it was shattered. I've not seen a leg that bad on this show. And the dog looked like he was in so much pain when he got there! I really don't think it was the right decision to drive him to PPP. Just amputate locally...not my call. Oh well.

This is the third instance I can think of just recently on this show where a dog has its leg operated on, and they say the dog is fine, but it's clearly not fine. The first was Daphne from the Indian reservation. Then there was last week with the Bloodhound puppy. And now there is this week with the black dog. Notice we never got a more recent update on the black dog? I suspect it's because there was no good news to share...

I would not have put that dog through the repair surgery and its recovery, versus the much easier amputation surgery and recovery.  However, the update was recent enough that there could be improvement in the future that makes the surgery worthwhile (plus, they can always amputate later if that turns out to be best).  The one that got me was the bloodhound update; with how much time had passed, and there was that little use of the leg, I was a bit horrified the poor dog was dragging that thing around.

Anything Dr Jeff does to help ease this burden is terrific, but I do feel like it's time better spent when they go to a part of Mexico where the people absolutely cannot afford any veterinary treatment. In the US, I do worry about what economists call the "free rider" problem.

I think there are plenty of people who are not in a situation where they can't pay full price, but that they don't want to, and aren't willing to to skip a few luxuries for themselves to put away some savings to care for their pets' medical needs in the event of an emergency.  Those people make me angry.  However, there's no effective way to evaluate who's who, and it's about the animals, anyway, so just like it's better for 10 guilty people to go free than one innocent person be imprisoned, it is better for a few people who shouldn't qualify for reduced-cost services to receive them than for someone who should qualify to be denied.  So many dominoes have to fall into place in order to offer low-cost services, and Dr. Jeff is one of the few that falls into that category.  Under the circumstances, Planned Pethood's system seems a well-reasoned one.

As I said above, the three episodes are jumbled up in my memory, but I really liked the one that was all about one of their trips to Mexico and the international training center.  That will, indeed, be quite a legacy he leaves.  It was fun to see Dr. Petra's sister.

I liked the cat spay day, too.  I wish more of the boys from the cross-country team had volunteered, but the girls' team certainly represented -- he said all of them turned up.

I also liked the bears waking up from anesthesia and wondering WTF?

I loved the pit bull who started eating as soon as his mommy came to visit him.

Also, I went back and found the info posted about Dr. Nichols: "Dr. Nichols is no longer working at Planned Parenthood Plus.  She is now an Associate Veterinarian at Parker Animal Hospital in Parker Colorado."

• Love 6

According to linkden, she has been at Parker since Jul, 2014 and was at PPP from 2012-2014.  I am surprised by that because I thought she was still shown last season.  I really didn't realize she has been gone that long, maybe she left when Dr. Amy came.

Edited by iluvobx
5 hours ago, iluvobx said:

According to linkden, she has been at Parker since Jul, 2014 and was at PPP from 2012-2014.  I am surprised by that because I thought she was still shown last season.  I really didn't realize she has been gone that long, maybe she left when Dr. Amy came.

That can't be accurate. Dr Jeff: Rocky Mountain Vet debuted in 2015, so if Dr. Nichols had been with Parker since 2014, we likely never would have seen her on this show. I'm pretty sure as well that she appeared several times last season, which eliminates the possibility that all of the Rachel scenes were filmed prior to 2015 when the show first aired. I also remember a segment where Rachel and Amy travelled to a ranch and worked together on some livestock, proving that they were there (on the show) at the same time.

• Love 2
On 11/17/2017 at 0:50 PM, Bastet said:

I don't know if the two shows share a production company or just a network, but Pit Bulls & Parolees has aired some stories a year or even close to two after they were filmed.

I had thought about that too (that Rachel’s scenes were all filmed years ago), but after doing a bit more research, I don’t think this theory holds up.

Here is an article from the Denver Post dated July 16, 2016, which talks about Dr. Jeff’s cancer and him cutting his hair, as well as his move to the new clinic. I haven’t yet found the date of the move, but I’m assuming it was either late 2015 or early 2016. http://www.denverpost.com/2016/07/08/dr-jeff-rocky-mountain-vet-moves-locations-battles-cancer-on-hit-animal-planet-show/

And regarding the haircut, which happened at roughly the same time, we can see in this video clip below that Rachel was there, looking on. So all one has to do now is verify when the clinic moved to its new location, and find a clip of Rachel which occurred after that point. I’m quite certain that several examples exist from last season, but I don’t have immediate access to them right now.

• Love 1
On 11/17/2017 at 3:47 PM, SyracuseMug said:

That can't be accurate. Dr Jeff: Rocky Mountain Vet debuted in 2015, so if Dr. Nichols had been with Parker since 2014, we likely never would have seen her on this show. I'm pretty sure as well that she appeared several times last season, which eliminates the possibility that all of the Rachel scenes were filmed prior to 2015 when the show first aired. I also remember a segment where Rachel and Amy travelled to a ranch and worked together on some livestock, proving that they were there (on the show) at the same time.

I know but that information was taken from linkden, so I was surprised by the dates given.

Great episode in Romania this week. So heartening to see people like the shelter staff and retired man doing their best for animal welfare. I hope the neighborhood vet is able to help out more now with low cost neutering.

I was a little sorry to see the two "panda bear" puppies go to the couple that already had 10 dogs, but they did seem dedicated. Happy for the dog with the huge ear growth to get adopted by the shelter worker. They had a nice bond.

It was interesting to see Dr. Jeff have to give up on fixing the bison's hernia, some things just aren't doable in the field with an incompletely anesthetized animal.

• Love 1

Just watched the episode for the annual trip to Mexico.  Its always a spectacular example of kindness, compassion and humanity..(for both people and animals.)

Damn this show never fails to result in me crying...in a good way!  Dr Jeff is the Jesus of veterinarians. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 5

“It’s like putting a fucking puzzle back together when you’re drunk” – Petra as she uncovers the shattered mess that is the leg of the dog who fell out of a second-story window.  I like her.

And how cool for the neighbors (or bystanders?  I’m not sure whether the daughter heard the poor dog because they live nearby, or just happened to be in the area, concluding with the mom and her fiancé swooping in) to step up and take the dog when the original owners wanted to put him down rather than having the surgery.  Watching him happily get around despite two of his three legs being in casts was so cute.

I wonder what attacked Capers the cat; I know the owner thought maybe a raccoon, but to come away from a fight with a raccoon with no worse injuries than that would be impressive.

I just can’t with people who don’t spay/neuter their pets, so I love that they show on this series the many health risks in addition to pregnancy that can happen in unaltered animals.

Shelly, the dark-haired vet tech with tattoos and lots of pit-positive shirts (I believe she has a pit bull or pit mix), is my favorite of the techs; she always gives her patients smooches.

Charli’s feet hanging off the end of the table, and Jeff having to raise himself up to be able to operate on her, because she’s so big was funny.  And that ginormous cone.  Hee.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Diane M said:

Last episode of the season.  I love this show so much and wish it could be on every week, but I know that's impossible. 

If Dr. Jeff and Pit Bulls & Parolees were on every week of the year, I'd be thrilled.

• Love 4

I get frustrated at pet owners who don't take proper care of their pets.  The cast of this show has more patience with that than I do. I actually disagree with Jeff on this. I don't think it's responsible to be living hand to mouth for yourself, plus you have a child, THEN you get a pet.  Pets cost money for care, grooming and food.  If you don't have sufficient income, it's really unfair to the pet, imo.   If you must have a pet, consider something less expensive like a gold fish. 

I was the most impressed with the two women who took care of the Rottweiler who was being neutered.  OMG.  They jumped right into action.  They don't seem to have any issue taking control of an aggressive animal.  That was amazing. 

I think that  Dr. Jeff is very generous by  providing low cost care for serious illnesses and injuries.  I do think that pet owners should be able to provide and pay for basic care though.

I like Dr. Jeff and Petra.  I think they make an amusing couple.  Did I understand that she was a student when they met?  Did she intern with him?  She seems to be quite a bit younger than he is.  I find him quite sexy and attractive.  lol I know.  It's kind of hard to believe.  Just something about him.  

• Love 2
On 11/26/2017 at 9:01 PM, 2727 said:

It was interesting to see Dr. Jeff have to give up on fixing the bison's hernia, some things just aren't doable in the field with an incompletely anesthetized animal.

I'm so used to Dr. Jeff fixing everything, this was a surprise.  At least he said that the bison would probably be fine with the hernia.

The Romania episode was really good - just a different place and it warms my heart to see people who don't have a lot, struggling to help animals. 

The boxer who fell out of the window; I hope it was an accident and not something more sinister.  I hate to think that way but his poor leg was so broken, he must have hit hard.   So glad that couple stepped in to help him; though I had to laugh when the woman was saying "we'll do whatever we have to do, sell whatever" and they cut to the guy's face and he has a blank expression.  The dog looked so happy at the end, obviously he's much better off with a yard to play in.

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Shelly, the dark-haired vet tech with tattoos and lots of pit-positive shirts (I believe she has a pit bull or pit mix), is my favorite of the techs; she always gives her patients smooches.

I really like her too - I noticed the same thing, she is always giving the animals love.

• Love 3