Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E20: Scared Very Straight

• Start Topic

Didn't Kelly ask at that end whether they could sue the cops turning the place upside down looking for the drugs?  Kelly, you idiot, they had a legitimate reason to look for the drugs because your idiot "brother" was stupid enough to bring them to your home.  You dodged a bullet.  Let it go.

(edited)

Poor Andrea, she gets hitched and it's still not the A plot.

Meanwhile, when Brandon was grossly asking Lucinda to be his valentine, it reminded me of Emily Valentine and how, right after Thanksgiving, Brandon was all, "I love her!" and was all, "I'll totally be faithful til you come home."  But by Valentine's Day, he and his wang have already moved on.

I too am enjoying, to quote Sarah D. Bunting from the last one, Jim's "chilly, chilly shade".

ETA...and another thing!  David has no job so, presumably, Mel has been paying his rent this whole time.  Why would he need to ask David how much it is?

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

The godly Super Toilet. The greatest thing on this show until well everything. Also will always love how David called Dylan "A sanctimonious pain in the ass". Also Donna just give up on David. You can do better, you don't until Joe and Cliff but you can do better. However he could do a lot better too. Stop seeing each other. 

Also did anyone notice Howard getting arrested too? 

• Love 1

Am I totally wrong in thinking that Donna looks kind of cute with the hair, hat and lipstick? Apart from that: if you only have about 15 minutes before the cops will arrive (and lucky for David that Dylan knew that kind of stuff from "the scene" he frequented when he was 11 years old), why spend time throwing the stuff in the toilet piece by piece? Obviously this toilet could easily have flushed the entire napsack.

• Love 3

Yep, the rent amount was RIDICIULOUS! In the mid-90s, while these episodes were airing, I was paying $410 for a one-bedroom in a totally non-metro non-desirable area. Why would they not do two seconds of research on this, especially since they were putting actual numbers out there? Absurdly lazy, and insulting to viewers who would have some sense of housing costs. It's not like some trade-specific insider info.

For some reason, the part that really annoyed me on this episode is that whole stupid part where Lucinda doesn't want to jeopardize Brandon's position on the "task force." That task force story line was just so inane. Just another way to prop Brandon up as someone super special, this great intellect with such a shining future. Yet, we really still never see evidence of any of it. I was complete loser in college. Are there really task forces like this? Do they do things?

• Love 2

Also weird that Lucinda was all about getting into Brandon's pants when she was married - didn't she also teach back then? - and in no way afraid of a scandal, and now, all of a sudden, she doesn't want scandal because of her teaching and the stupid task force?! She didn't give a shit about Brandon's grades and future before, why start now?

38 minutes ago, Nanna said:

Also weird that Lucinda was all about getting into Brandon's pants when she was married - didn't she also teach back then? - and in no way afraid of a scandal, and now, all of a sudden, she doesn't want scandal because of her teaching and the stupid task force?! She didn't give a shit about Brandon's grades and future before, why start now?

I think back then she was just working on her dissertation?

5 hours ago, Tara Ariano said:

I think back then she was just working on her dissertation?

She wanted to work on Brandon's dissertation.  Ha.  Sorry, couldn't resist.

I really disliked the character of Lucinda, so stereotypical.  And zero chemistry with Bran the Man.  Despite his attempts at sucking her face off.

I had completely forgotten that Ohhhhhhhn-drea and Jesse got married on Valentine's Day.   Ugh.  Gross.  So out of character for Ohhhhhn-drea.  I would think she would find that cheesy and grossly romantic.   But let's get on to her wedding day attire.  Why?  Why, 90210?  Why dress her like Miss Gulch from The Wizard of Oz?  Why would Ohhhhhhn-drea be opposed to getting married in the Walsh backyard?  At least then maybe they could have dressed her in a flowy empire waist number or more garden wedding-y.  I get that maybe she didn't want to have a religious aspect to the ceremony based on how bent she gets with regard to religion later on but you can have a judge or justice of the peace marry you in Jim and Cindy's backyard.  Far nicer than the courthouse and then the PEACH PIT for your reception.  To quote Father of the Bride (remake):  I don't think you want the word "Pit" in your wedding invitation. 

So the Zuckermans magically show up for the courthouse nuptials and then we never see them again?  The point, exactly?  No idea.  I think it would have been better storyline wise to have them oppose Ohhhhhhn-drea's marriage.  That would have been a better plot point down the road than the goofy laundromat guy/med student that she gets the hots for (spoiler alert.)  

This episode will always be gold for the Super Toilet/Magic Toilet and David (Daaaaavvvvvviiiiidddd!) staring at the backpack like it's a bomb about to go off.  And as a Southern California resident, that rent was insane.  The writers lived in LA, WTF?  

Jim was shady as all.  It was cool and not cool, all at the same time.  

Something I noticed maybe in this episode and maybe not.  Apparently the "beach apartment" (because heaven forbid that we forget that Kelly and Donna live AT THE BEACH) has a doorbell at the front door and back door.  How do they know which one is being rung?  They sound the same.  These are the things that I ponder.

• Love 1

So original Grandma Rose was the mom from My Big Fat Greek Wedding and replacement Grandma Rose was the crazy grandmother from My Big Fat Greek Wedding?!?! How did that not tear a hole in the universe?

• Love 6

I've giggled throughout this podcast (not unusual) at Sarah's long, windy sighs of disgust, especially during the Lucinda/Brandon clips. Play clip, pause for comment... Pregnant pause (though not as pregnant as Ohhhndrea hiiiiiyo). Then Sarah, Siiiighhhhhhhhhhh! 

• Love 1

Is the apartment building exterior the same place where the Karate Kid lived?

Also Andrea's mother looks nothing like a still photo that was shown of her in the "living out of the district" episode at OG Grandma Rose's apartment.  I want continuity, dammit!  And for Lainie Kazan to always be grandma!

Andrea's parents were totally right-- she did through her life away. Things never got really got any better for her after this. Remember how miserable she was at the 5 year reunion? And divorced, to boot! Everyone should always listen to their parents, about everything, because they are always right.

I had to actually stop listening so that I could properly chuckle at Dave's "or at least they could have used the zippers" after you recapped Kelly's pissface at how the police cut open the couch cushions. Even funnier considered that he has never watched this show. He is a bit of an unsung hero, ladies.

• Love 2
On 7/20/2016 at 0:26 PM, StatMom said:

Yep, the rent amount was RIDICIULOUS! In the mid-90s, while these episodes were airing, I was paying $410 for a one-bedroom in a totally non-metro non-desirable area. Why would they not do two seconds of research on this, especially since they were putting actual numbers out there? Absurdly lazy, and insulting to viewers who would have some sense of housing costs. It's not like some trade-specific insider info.

Especially since, the writers, presumably, lived in Los Angeles!! How on earth could they not know the general price range of apartments on the beach in their own city?

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:04 AM, atlanticslide said:

Especially since, the writers, presumably, lived in Los Angeles!! How on earth could they not know the general price range of apartments on the beach in their own city?

I'm super old (as old as the Hillsters before they repeated 11th grade).  When I was a little kid (LITTLE), the 2 bedroom dump in 3's Company was $300, in Santa Monica.  Only attraction was the Regal Beagle. How is the beach apartment- 3 bedrooms (maybe one bath?) just a $150 more?

I always wondered how Dylan knew so much of the timeline in the legal process (arrested during day light, attorney shows up at 10, David's name is released at midnight, 8am search warrant).  Guess during his days in "the scene".

• Love 1